the Rift

[OPEN] Back to the basics

Maren the Crownless Posts: 264
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.0 :: 6 HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Mr. Teatime :: Siberian Tiger :: Sing Yewrezz
By the precepts of her purity

She was going somewhere. Wings stroking the rough barks she passed as her long tail sweeped behind her. She moved slowly, sluggishly even, not wanting to hit her head as she was doubtfully searching for this vague destination. She knew by feeling the warmth pushing gently on her alabaster face that it was daylight pressing on the thin skin of her eyelids. The sounds the forest made, chirped in her ears. She sighed. These days of blindness were loud in a land suddenly without light. Something she had soon come to realize when she had met Erthë at the rotunda. It had taken her into another way of looking at the darkness of the world; had taken her into another kind of wisdom, perhaps.

And thus she wandered forward, but she felt a hollow wind blow through her chest left-over from meeting the girl. There was an ache in her muscles for the regret and self-hatred she had found inside the cage that was her mind. Nevertheless, it just wasn’t quite tangible enough to be sure she wasn’t just pitying herself... a pity I could do without, she thought as she left behind the long hoof prints of a blind mare. Pitiful, she pondered in conclusion as she realized she couldn’t even follow those back home.

She had stood in statue-like silence for too long, so even if it was regretful, she had decided against staying still. There was simply too much to learn, too much to discover, even if it was scary and... new. As long as there were endless fields to imagine that could've risen before her tiny-feeling frame — ones she didn’t know how they felt — she would wander on. And thus she found the grass brushing against her heels as rocks pushed into her feet. She heard the sound of water somewhere in the far, but she didn't really know for sure. Neither did she know of the company that, in her sightless eyes, didn’t seem to be. She bit her lip, ears falling sideways as was how they fell when she got troubled and perhaps lonely. It was a feeling she didn't know what to do with. The mare considered this as her wing found another bark to caress and she began to sing a song; a melody, a lullaby in her outlandish tunes. Something originated from her homeland; a land she couldn’t see even if she had not been blind. And suddenly she wished for that hollow, icy wind to go away; in search for something better.

Maren
/ image

Day 3 of being blind for the Earth's quest.

@Johnny, @Rasta and open, so for whoever else feels like it! c:
Please tag me 

Agnodice Posts: 70
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2hh :: 8
Herophilos :: Plain Black Dragon :: Toxic Breath prissy

The air was crisp and chilled, but still lacked the bite of Frostfall. For this, Agnodice was grateful. She spent days such as these in the sun, enjoying what she had before it was gone. She traveled outside the Falls, gathering herbs and healing woodland creatures. Some might see this as a waste, but she had no one else to heal.

Her duties this season lied in the Rotunda, but she was not particularly fond of it. She appreciated its delicate allure, but did not like the herbs there. The Rotunda held more useful poisons than it did herbs. She would have braved the trip anyway if flowers hadn't begun to grow continually in her mane and tail. They gave her a foreign sensation, as if her body was no longer the one she was born in. Petals now fell in her wake, as did an occasional flower. Her dysmorphia left her drained both emotionally and physically.

It made her question who she was, and whether coming to Helovia was the right choice to make at all.

So she walked, basket nestled between her dainty jaws, through the grove, not paying much attention to where she was. She thought of only herself as she meandered through wood and brush, not caring where she was going as long as it wasn't the Rotunda. She almost missed the soft melody and pale, striped figure. But when she noticed it, she paused immediately, watching the mare lean against a tree and sing. The tune was foreign, she had never heard anything like it before. But the mare she recognized as Maren. She lacked her desert posse, she almost seemed delicate without them.

Agnodice said nothing, not even a greeting. She simply walked to stand a few lengths from the tiger striped mare, watching the water and listening to the sounds of the forest.

@Maren

Image Credits
[Image: 5694548be0939]
You’d stick the world into your bedside lane
It’s boredom makes you callous to all pain

Rasta Posts: 305
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: six (ages in Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Ettore :: Red-Tailed Hawk :: None Abba
I'd rather be a riot than indifferent; this means war
Rasta had yet to fully explore these lands. I mean, she had moved across some of them - though only on travels between the Throat and the Falls. She hadn't desired to find much else, and as she fought with whether or not to leave the Falls, to go back to the Throat, she decided that she needed to see other lands that were nearby. So, for today, she had moved toward a Grove. She had expected it to be silent, to be somewhere to find more information on what it was she was working with.

Uncertainty. She stopped suddenly when she heard a melody that she didn't recognize. Rasta dropped her head, swishing her tail and offering a gentle blow from her nostrils. Vibrations eased their way across the earth and created a clearer picture for the blind mare who was confused with the frame she saw before her. Was that… wings at her ears? Oh, she had to be imagining something.

It didn't really matter, for a few seconds later she could feel the vibrations of new steps, another mare that she vaguely placed as the one assisting Brisa with the healers section of the Falls. No words fell from her lips when she pulled up, but she did seem to stand near the mare who was singing.

Rasta had planned on turning around, on offering them both space (of hiding her blindness while she struggled with her own emotions, her own sense of belonging). But, Ettore had different ideas. He wanted to meet the pair, to say hello and maybe even play a game. He swooped forward - pulling down in front of them and offering a gentle chirp of hello - flapping his wings ever so slightly so that he hovered in place before them (a grin on his beak). New friends! New playmates! For being as serious as he was, he still wanted to play on occasion - to be the child that he really was.
fire in the- fire in the- fire in the- fire in the hole
Image Credit

Mystified, just spinning 'round in circles
Drowning in the silent screaming with nothing left to say

Johnny Posts: 161
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 13 hh :: 10 years
Jellybean :: Common Griffin :: Molten Dagger Sarah

It was sunny out, right? And sunny days aren't usually my favourite. I mean I like them but it’s more of a hide-in-the-shade sort of like them. I admire them from afar. Sometimes it’s just not worth the risk that I might melt but I gotta tell you, I really wanted to explore today despite the warmth from the sun. Fortunately, the air was on my side and there was a pretty decent chill in the air to accompany the sun. My excursions from the Basin could be extended for a little while longer.

Not that I didn’t have fun in the Basin but sometimes I liked the chance to you know… meet other species and stuff.

So is it any wonder that I latch on to the first gathering of delightful non-horned creatures I see? Three gorgeous mares, two equines and one striped mare with wings behind her ears and I had seen her before. I offered to make her some peppermint tea! How good to see old friends again. I can hear a bit of singing and it’s lovely but to be honest I’m already distracted by the idea of talking to this fantastic group that I don’t really think about it. I don’t really put it together that the lovely singing voice had been coming from here and probably would have felt pretty embarrassed over having interrupted.

But ignorance is bliss, they say, and I certainly am a blissful little creature.

“Ladies!” I called happily to them, all standing… awkwardly around each other. I trot right up to them, noting the curious little bird that was causing a commotion. He looked friendly enough so I didn’t mind.  “A beautiful day to you all, my dears!”

Continuing the theme of ignorance, the fact that most of this group can’t see the dazzling smile on my face as I come to stand by is lost on me. But it wouldn’t matter either way - I’m certainly loud enough to be noticed and even if I wasn’t audible I would certainly tickle their noses with a little bit of peppermint joy. “Ah! I remember you, the one that was after some peppermint tea during the Frostfall Festival! I hope you found some.”

johnny
You are my lollipop
image credits
table by Reli <3

@Maren
[Image: Johnny%20by%20Aud_zpsi3ssx2s1.gif]
magic and physical force permitted at all times
vigorous licking strongly encouraged
please tag in all posts

Endless fields, she reminded herself as she watched the obscurity as a sigh fogged up from her nose, dreaming away in her lonely lullaby as the cold wind caressed her cheeks. It brushed her feathers. Endless autumn fields.

swishing sound, a feeling in the wind; they came so suddenly, bouncing into her hearing; Something swooped down from the sky. What’s that. Maren walked backwards a few steps in confusion. The sounds of the forest pressed against her ears as she focused herself on them, attempting to hear whatever could be off as the song that had ended mid-word dried to dust in her throat. Soon a hardening frown stepped across her eyes as her nostrils widened. “Who’s there - who are you” she basically demanded with rash tunes into the air around her as the words came from the line that was her mouth, suspicious and distrusting, as she had found none in the strange and unannounced sounds, either.  

But then there were words, more sounds of hoof beats she hadn’t heard. Ladies? She turned to the voice. Were there then.. more of them? It was all very confusing. She focused her ears as the tunes of that one speaking stallion echoed in familiarity against the walls of her memory. But then he said something… alarming.

“Uh... Oh, Peppermint tea? The hostel course she had been heading into before, it suddenly U-turned when the word dropped from the stallion's mouth. “You mean you have peppermint tea?” She swallowed away the dryness, but she hadn’t really been listening that well to his words. Her frown vanished, turned to frame her growing desperate need in her eyes. “I love peppermint tea,” she informed the darkness in front of her as her gaze was left wandering around, more out of habit. But how does he know? (Again, she hadn’t been listening to his words very well) Oh, she felt like her taste-buds had been kissed by only the mere mentioning of the godly peppermint tea that had stroke her tongue that day. And still, to this day, she couldn’t imagine anything sweeter than that. And it was suddenly everywhere in her mouth; lingering like a memory of   She swallowed the drool that had formed before she got herself together well enough to speak again. “I did find it… and I would love some again,” she said, the word mixed in a wishful sigh.  

Maren
/ image

@Johnny, @Rasta
@Agnodice
Please tag me 

Outcast

She flicked a curvaceous ear towards the mare, brow furrowing as she began to scatter backwards. Agnodice turned to watch her, her head falling to one side in confusion. As far as she could remember, Maren wasn't blind. She saw quite well, actually. Maren was the one who spotted the striped, antlered stallion amongst honey colored stalks, in desperate need of help. So why now was she acting as if she couldn't see? Had the tiger striped girl lost her sight after all? There wasn't much she could do for that, unfortunately.

The alabaster mare's features turned sympathetic, staying still as the striped mare spoke in alerted tones. Her fear was stirring hostility, neither of which Agnodice was fond of. She opened her lips to say something, but a bird stopped her from speaking. The avian creature flitted over, making Agnodice smile lightly. She recognized it as the one from the day when she had helped the crafters build for the healers. It's bonded was not far away, that she knew.

"It's okay, I'm Agnodice," She spoke softly, turquoise gaze slipping to the other mare expectantly. She figured that introductions might make her feel better. "What happened to you? If you don't mind me asking, that is.." She added, doing her best to sound gentle. But her slow and easy take on the situation ended up being for naught. A tiny stallion trotted up to them in a wave of peppermint and sugar. She raised an eyebrow at him upon his arrival. She was taken aback by his cheerful tones and sugary words. For a moment she merely watched him, trying to figure out wether his demeanor was real or not.

But Maren's trust in his flavorful words made her assume that it was real. She nodded at him, tossing her mane over her shoulder, sending flowers and petals scattering around her. And truthfully, their mention of peppermint tea intrigued her. "How do you prepare it - the tea?" Agnodice asked softly, eyes flicking from Maren to the pony. A tea party sounded quite lovely.

Image Credits

@Rasta

Rasta Posts: 305
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: six (ages in Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Ettore :: Red-Tailed Hawk :: None Abba
I'd rather be a riot than indifferent; this means war
Aye, the first mare she had noticed spoke. Demanding to know who was there and what was happening. And then, as Ettore dropped in front of them the mare panicked and moved backwards. But, as Rasta allowed a gentle vibration to pool around her – to better view the area she was standing in – new hoofbeats occurred. New hoofbeats and a new voice. He asked about peppermint tea and then the other mare ended up asking questions about that beverage.

It was only after the other mare had spoken that Rasta allowed her voice to fill into the air. ”I’m Rasta. Ettore didn’t mean to startle you – he just wanted to say hello.” Gently, Ettore flew back over to Rasta and then took his place upon her withers. She had not quite realized yet that the other mare was actually blind, though she had registered that the stag who had come up was actually smaller than she. That, in and of itself, was rare now a days.

Alas, the peppermint tea seemed to be the topic of interest for this gathering, as well as whatever it was that had happened to this other mare. No name lingered from her lips – or from the new stag’s who had greeted them. ”I didn’t know there was even such a thing as peppermint tea…” she mused, uncertainly speaking in an awkward moment as she had no clue what everyone’s relation was to each other. And she really did not want to have walked into the middle of some kind of reunion.
fire in the- fire in the- fire in the- fire in the hole
Image Credit

Mystified, just spinning 'round in circles
Drowning in the silent screaming with nothing left to say

Johnny Posts: 161
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 13 hh :: 10 years
Jellybean :: Common Griffin :: Molten Dagger Sarah

I’d be rather hurt if I found out the pretty orange mare hadn’t listened to a single thing I said, aside from the peppermint tea thing. I was hoping for an elated greeting, a ‘I remember you!’ upon spotting me but I go disappointed. I guess we can’t get everything we want.

I feel a little bad, because she’s clearly jonesing for a little bit of that tea and I had absolutely no way to make some for her. There was water, sure, and I had plenty of peppermint, and while those were important things to have the whole heat and bowl things were also important. “I don’t have any on me, but I do have peppermint!” I flick my tail a little bit, emphasizing the point, still entirely missing the point that two of the three mares that I’m with can’t see the flick so they’re not going to get it. To be quite honest, I’m probably not going to notice at all. I pick up that they’re acting a little strange, but I mean this is Helovia if I ever meet a normal horse I’m probably going to have a heart-attack.

Though I’m sure that moving the strands releases a bit more of a minty smell to the air. I don’t really notice it anymore because it’s something I’m surrounded by 24/7.

Not only do I taste amazing but I’m also a walking air freshener! Just what we need in the wide, open spaces of Helovia.

Dazzling mare #2, the pale girl with striking black markings, softly asked how you make the tea and dazzling mare #3, the sweet golden dear named Rasta, remarked that she had never even heard of it. Now I really wished that I had some! “It’s rather delightful. You need hot water and you can use peppermint leaves or if you happen to know a peppermint-haired horse you can use a strand of hair instead. It dissolves quite easily.” Look at me, talking about making tea out of my hair as if it was the most normal thing in the world. And it kind of was. I haven’t tried the tea thing but I did make Tiamat a little peppermint bath one day to help warm her up. I honestly wouldn’t suggest drinking the water from the Basin’s hot springs though, I can only imagine what’s floating around in there.

“My name’s Johnny, by the way, I’m from the Basin.”

johnny
You are my lollipop
image credits
table by Reli <3

@Maren
[Image: Johnny%20by%20Aud_zpsi3ssx2s1.gif]
magic and physical force permitted at all times
vigorous licking strongly encouraged
please tag in all posts

The one that hadn't said anything so far, besides shuffle in the grass — the words that mere spoke were soft and gentle. Agnodice, she recalled, but not quite enough. She seemed like someone undeserving of her hostility, or so she decided at that moment; but that judgement wasn't based on enough to really make her feel sorry for her. Yet, from what Maren heard it did seem they had met before. Sometime when she still had had her vision.

From the tigermare's nostrils rose puffs of transparent clouds, mixing with the cold as she pulled up the corners of her lips after thinking when that could've been... giving up on it. "Well, since you asked... It is actually quite an interesting story. Around this time last year ...—" But it was at that moment the tea was mentioned (or perhaps a bit earlier, maybe it had to sink in) and it did not really seem to matter anymore what happened to her around this time last year. The mentioning of mint tea was simply a force not to be reckoned with. Something she knew so well, thus also knowing how fighting it would prove uselesstea.

There had been another mare that had marked her attendance in words by telling her name: Rasta, and while she was at it she apologized for Ettore, who Maren logical-wise thought must be her child. Rasta proved, however, to be interested in the... The thing she thought tea was. And of course Maren wanted to tell her that, that something merely defined as "such a 'thing' as peppermint tea" did not exist, while the force the oh so elegant,  brew that peppermint tea was, did. ... But at that moment she felt too disappointed and saddened due to the fact that Johnny  — The one and only she was beginning to trust when it came down to the beverage — did not have any with him (even after bringing it up), that she forgot to point out that mistake in words — which was perhaps better, anyways.

Maren pouted in silence as the sweetly perfumed stallion explained that he needed certain things for it. She of course knew about that. She had the tea-wisdom. However, a frown grew into a crown for her sulking muzzle. She turned her winged face towards wherever the pony could be standing and eventually rose her and eventually the tigermare rose her eyebrows. "I would marry you right now if (your) mane actually could dissolve in water," she proposed to him; a questioning of this possible truth. Yet, she did not felt like it wasn't her place to argue (she never did), for she knew his mane to be bright red. And she also knew an important lesson in life to be "do not trust the colorful things". "But for now I don't believe that that process would go quick enough for me." Or so she said coolly, even though of course with growing curiosity. But so far to her knowledge hair didn't just dissolve, not even magically (unless he had some suspicious powers - wait). "But Johnny," she started. "If what you stated there really isn't just BS, you shouldn't have told that to me — a mint tea lover, because I really will marry you and I will vow to you that, at some point in your life, you will find yourself bald," she joked with a flat voice and a stone cold expression.

Maren
/ image

@Agnodice
Please tag me 

Outcast

Tentatively, the duchess stepped forward, ears pricked in interest, hanging delicately onto every word spoken by the others as to not miss a single syllable. She wasn't sure what tea was, but assumed it to be a delight due to how they spoke of it. She knew peppermint as an herb useful for stomachaches and to taste rather delicious.

She listened to the various exchanges of lyrics, but found herself most interested in the sweet words of the sugary pony. She was grateful that Rasta had taken the initiative to ask what tea was anyway, and was perhaps even more grateful for the reply from the pony. She wondered what else could be made into tea other than peppermint. She knew of herbs that smell nice and tasted nice and decided experimentation upon this subject was necessary.

Her eyes fell to her hooves, pondering how she would make this happen, how she would heat up the water and transport it. The basket? That would work, she supposed. "Thank you for telling me of this tea, I simply must try it someday. I'm Agnodice, of the Falls," She offered quickly to the sugary pony, falling silent, absorbed in her own thoughts of tea.

She soon found herself smiling, though, at the tiger striped mare, her cool lyrics and serious stature. Agnodice had to agree with her jokes, though, for she was eager to try this tea. "What else can you flavor tea with?" Agnodice asked, looking back and forth from the three who had gathered.

@Rasta

Image Credits
[Image: 5694548be0939]
You’d stick the world into your bedside lane
It’s boredom makes you callous to all pain