the Rift

The Elder [Mirage]

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks
It was predictable, really. The moment you get yourself a herd, the strangers come running, anticipating shelter and family and god knows what else despite it being the middle of winter. And why? What did we owe them, they who had not fought beside us, shed and lost blood for the comfort of borders that really, nobody even knew the true location of? Why did we own the privilege of calling a place 'home', simply because the ground was rank with our blood and dimmed by our hooves? I sighed, and only the trees heard me, for Kali was off hunting, and the remainder of my 'herd' seemed intent on familiarizing themselves with their new cathedral of trees.

Ah, and there it was, the scent of strangers and the crunch of leaves. It was a lonely sound, one set of hoofbeats in the still of the Edge, a sliver of movement barely perceptible in the shadows. I watched it, pausing in my own ambling, staring indifferently as the form materialized into that of a great black stallion, a long and slender horn silhouetted atop his drooping head. One of the defeated, come to pay their tribute and beg for mercy? A late arrival to the party, who will look on us with fury when he finds his kin gone and the land overrun?

No. Just a newcomer, mumbling about not being able to find company. For a second I consider leaving him to his loneliness, and then I remember Mirage, the herd, the whole damn reason I'm here in the first place - my new kin. I suppose I have a duty to them, a task of investigating the newcomers into our mighty kingdom, screening them to see if they prove worthy of joining our ranks. To them, and, if I'm honest, to my own curiosity, that now will not let me tear myself away from the prospect of fresh blood. With a sigh of the long-defeated, I step towards the approaching stranger, wincing at the pain in my torn belly and chest.

There is no introduction, no simple thought, only the response to his mournful query. "I have only found company truly necessary when on the brink of insanity. Tell me, are you insane?" Sparks of humor tickle subtle fringes at my voice, atop a bland and sincere curiosity. If he was insane... well, that would certainly be interesting. If not, then there was always the chance he wasn't easily offended, either.

[ ooc || hope you don't mind ]

Messages In This Thread
The Elder [Mirage] - by Keegan - 10-09-2012, 06:16 PM
RE: The Elder [Mirage] - by Rishima - 10-09-2012, 10:48 PM
RE: The Elder [Mirage] - by Keegan - 10-10-2012, 04:41 PM
RE: The Elder [Mirage] - by Mirage - 11-01-2012, 07:34 PM