the Rift

[PRIVATE] Holding Out

Ashamin the Clovenheart Posts: 426
Outcast atk: 8 | def: 11.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 HH :: 5 [Frostfall] HP: 79 | Buff: NUMB
Lochan :: Plain Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Rakt :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast Jen
A S H A M I N
on his own
Somehow and slowly, the haruspex was beginning to heal. Hotaru's razor cuts and electric burns still marked his flesh without mercy but he'd done what he could to keep them clean. Ashamin had known Tiamat for long enough, been healed after enough spars, to pick up a thing or two after all.

Apply these leaves to the site. Eat this for the pain. Don't lie down on the injury. Bathe often. Breathe easy. Everything is going to be alright. It really all came down to the last part: conviction that even with some blood staining your coat, your life wasn't going to end.

So Ashamin walked slowly, taking the time he needed to rest on occasion and pick himself up when he started to stumble. He wore little, not able to bear the weight of his armor, and wandered alone. In the bright of day, his two companions slept soundly and safe in his cave. The painted buck hadn't had the heart to drag them out with him on this errand.

And it was truly an errand. Something to keep his mind off of the pain, something to busy himself and occasionally bite down on. He and Johnny had been talking about an event for some time, so Ashamin figured that now was as good a time as any to prepare. He made his way through the meadow, nosing through dried grasses and searching for anything that could be useful and he could carry back in his sarong: shed scales, dropped feathers, still living flowers and any last straggler berries. The day was brighter than he would have liked, but at least it was quiet. At least he could live it out alone.

(table by Tamme)

@Volterra

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

Sunlight gilds his coat and lends depth to the firm contours of his body as he moves at a lazy walk through the Meadow, thick neck arched downwards to greedily tear at the shrubbery. Vérzés sleeps splayed across his back, his snores piercing the tranquility of the scene, lulled to sleep by the gentle motion of the stallion's walk. Vadir, for once, has consented to leave the red alone, and circles high above her companions with her sharp eyes searching for anything edible in the grasslands. With the harsh autumn sunlight glimmering off her scales, she shines like a golden jewel in the heavens.

The beast continues his ambling stride, tail lashing at the final persistent Orangemoon flies. He has no plans for today - every so often, he rewards himself with a day of rest, when he isn't sparring or training or pursuing mares with a single-minded determination. These days are few and far between, but he enjoys them immensely. Just him and his dragons, grazing, sleeping and relishing one another's company - even his bondeds know better than to squabble during days like these.

It is Vadir who sends him the mental image of the unicorn, not too far away. She shows him an inverted horn, and a plentitude of scars on the chest. Despite the fact it's a down day, the black hellion finds himself approaching, swallowing the last fragments of grass and moving into a slightly faster walk. This new momentum jars Vérzés awake, and the red gives an irritable growl as he hooks his claws into Volterra's flesh to keep himself balanced in his bleary-eyed state. It isn't long before the behemoth and his companions are stood before the snuffling unicorn, and three sets of eyes scan his body. "Gods, who did you piss off?" One regal brow lifts, scrutinising the painted unicorn's wounds.

IF IT FEELS GOOD, TASTES GOOD, IT MUST BE MINE
HEROES ALWAYS GET REMEMBERED BUT YOU KNOW LEGENDS NEVER DIE
image: chan <3

@Ashamin

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

A S H A M I N
on his own

The dark stallion that approached screamed this: threat. Ashamin had somehow not encountered many dragons in Helovia, and the sudden presence of two that circled and clung to this stallion so protectively put him on edge. The part of him that longed for Lochan and Rakt was the same part of him that was glad they were home safe from this possible danger.

Then again, maybe Ashamin was simply being paranoid. It wasn't as if this equine had said anything unkind, wasn't as if he'd even cast Ashamin a frown. The haruspex's long tail snaked behind him through the grass uneasily, he struggled to steady his heart and helped it along with magic.

He had to focus, he had to reply. So "No one," he said eventually and with the faintest of smiles, the most subtle upturn of the lips' corners. "I've found myself tangled up in a Goddess' request, taking pain from magic is my task." My sacrifice, he thought. My lie. Because though he had promised the Goddess one thing (one thing that he would give her) he had accomplished, also, another. He had hurt Thranduil, a member of his herd, for selfish reasons alone.

Ashamin swallowed and exhaled, watching the faint puffs of white flit away in a cold breeze. "These," he said with a turn of his head to gesture to the healing cuts on his flank, "were a favor from a friend."

It hurt more to simply call her a friend than it did to walk closer to the stallion. It hurt more than anything. Ashamin extended his cheek for the stranger to touch, shaking off the alarms going off in his head and trying to avoid the dragons' gazes. This was his greeting, this was the gesture he'd been taught.

"My name is Ashamin," he offered informally, arching his neck back so his coal eyes cold find the stallion's. "Yours?"

(table by Tamme)

@Volterra

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.

Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

It soon becomes clear - the painted one has suffered at the bidding of the Moon Goddess. Volterra can't help the chuckle that wells up inside his thick chest, amused by this revelation. Moony is quite the maverick, isn't she? Whilst the beast's patron God is, of course, Father Earth, he has a strange sort of twisted respect for the Goddess, despite the fact she is of the inferior gender, built to be mounted and to bear a man's children. Regardless of this, she has a rather sick nature that the stallion can quite sympathise with - if she's not murdering people, she's sending them flying across Helovia for offending her, or sending them on painful quests to earn the boons she offers them.

Vadir's circles become lower and lower, until finally she alights upon the ground next to her bonded. She tilts her royal head, folding her haunches into a proud sitting position and scrutinising the folded-horned unicorn. She admires the cuts, contemplating whether they could have been created by the claws of one of her kind. But Ashamin reveals his wounds are from a friend, and the brute's gaze scans them again.

The older stallion moves forwards, extending a cheek. Volterra's eyes narrow, confusion spasming across him. This is...unusual. In his experience, only women touch for reasons that aren't sexual - and yet the black monolith is very orientated towards touch, whether it be friendly or otherwise. An outcast life for one of his craving for physical contact is painful, to say the least. He nudges his muzzle forwards to touch the proffered cheek once in greeting, before taking a step backwards, careful not to tread on Vadir's tail. "Volterra. The red is Vérzés, the gold is Vadir." Both dragons lift their heads at their names, curling their tails like anxious snakes.

The power inside the young stud tingles as he summons his magic, lifting the ground beneath Vadir into a small plateau. She squawks indignantly and lifts back into the air, displeasure radiating into her bonded's mind. "Perhaps I can assist, if you need more pain." One twitch of his mind and the plateau sharpens to a savage point, wicked enough to slice flesh. Quite why the brute is offering his help, he doesn't know, but the chance to inflict pain is not something he's going to pass up.

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]

A S H A M I N
on his own

There is something about the stallion that is, to say the least, off-putting. Ashamin watches him carefully, holding his own breath and eyeing the stranger even as the greeting was reciprocated. Volterra, as he learned the other's name was, looked to be about half his age but significantly stronger and well, larger. The offer of pain coming from him, a total stranger met just moments ago, was troubling.

Who would offer to hurt someone they'd just met so readily?

Ashamin's tail lashed behind him when his head could not shake. It was the snake in the grass, the expression of all he had to hide. He tried to focus on the dragons, who seemed less threatening and more beautiful now that they were closer. The threat diminished further when earth rose beneath the red one and lifted him up; the antics were comical, nothing to be scared of. "It's a pleasure," Ashamin breathed absently and belatedly. Who knew if that were true; maybe this would be the worst day of his life.

But the sharpening of the plateau, the sudden instrument of violence made from earth, clarified the haruspex's understanding. This stallion was offering to hurt him. This stallion was offering to hurt him with that. "Fascinating," he unconsciously let loose from under his breath. He was a haruspex, after all; dangerous as it was, magic in all of its forms would always fascinate him.

He wanted to say, very kindly and with the tact that always inhabited him, no thank you. He thought wildly, you're crazy, that's a damn spike, you could kill me with that and I don't know that you wouldn't. Are you insane? Are you insane? Are you INSANE?

But Ashamin simply shuddered, simply stepped further from the stallion and put forth his leg (how else could he be injured by that spike without his organs shutting down?), and shrugged his shoulders like there was nothing else to do.

"Do your worst, then, Volterra."

(table by Tamme)

@Volterra

Fascinating. The beast flashes a menacing smirk. Of course, Ashamin can't know that Volterra won't erupt a spike of earth beneath his heart and kill him stone dead; indeed, his monstrous appearance could make that appear quite likely, with his crimson eyes and hulking air of terror. Yet the black behemoth does not kill without good reason; whilst he is a fan of the darker things in life, he has only yet murdered in self-defence. As a result, the painted unicorn is quite safe - but whether he believes that is another thing altogether.

But the man accepts, all the same - he must be desperate for whatever magic the Goddess has offered him. Sensing that the brute needs to concentrate, the red dragon vacates his back and takes to the heavens, circling a good distance away from the gold. Volterra shuts his mind, cutting the bond with both companions down to the thinnest thread of consciousness. After all, two conflicting personalities in his mind can prove distracting, even though he's slowly becoming used to Vadir's forceful presence.

The older male offers a leg, and Volterra concentrates on it. "It will hurt," he warns, as though that's not obvious enough. With a rumble, his current spike collapses back into the dirt, and he aims his magic instead for the ground just beneath Ashamin's leg. With a grunt of effort, he erupts the earth into a thin, razor-sharp spike of rock, high enough to rip into flesh and muscle alike. He doesn't, however, put enough force into it that it will pierce straight through the leg, as much as there's a slight temptation to do so. No - he's being a good boy, attempting to cause a wound that will hurt greatly but won't irreversibly maim the unfortunate unicorn.

@Ashamn

A S H A M I N
on his own

The dark stallion's warning, it will hurt, rang in the haruspex's mind. His leg quivered, the shadow cast beneath it became a blurred, thin line. Ashamin looked down at it, black eyes wide as he faced the fear of what was to come. Was Volterra going to kill him? Was he absolutely insane for granting a stranger permission to hurt him like this? Or was he just desperate, trying in vain to do whatever he could to write his wrongs?

The Moon Goddess had given him two options, a choice. He had chosen the path of piece and promptly turned, instead, to violence. Now he would make up for it, now he would punish himself more than he had to. Hotaru's magic had left him with injuries deeper than most he'd had, ones reminiscent of the ones left by Torleik's horns. How would Volterra's earthen spike compare?

And then, the terrifying question: would he even survive it, or was this masked man aiming for Ashamin's heart? With a swallow and a nod, he could only watch. His tail coiled in impatient anticipation, and then...

Pain. It stuck him sharp and red like an arrow through the soul, but he could do nothing but obey its command. His teeth gnashed together and his hind legs stiffened as he relied on their support. He choked on the hurt, tried not to cry out in an attempt to seem tougher than he actually was. Then again, maybe after all this he really was stronger.

His tail snapped and his black eyes locked, cold and determined, with the stallion who wielded such power. He would not ask him to stop, would not beg or plead. Instead, as the blood dripped down the rock and his leg shook with tense anticipation of painful release, he spoke two, terrible words--forced them from betwixt bicolored lips and contorted them into an unfortunate truth.

"Thank you."

(table by Tamme)

@Volterra
(Didn't say the spike went down since you didn't write it but wasn't sure. Thanks for your help!)

No worries! <3

It looks rather painful as the spike pierces the skin, and Volterra watches with gruesome interest. In battle, he has mostly used his magic to trip and trap his opponents, rather than skewer them in this manner. However, it is nothing if not effective, and he files away the notion for future fights. Ashamin's pain is evident, and despite himself the stallion feels a brutal stab of pleasure at the notion of wielding such agony. The older male's elongated tail swings, which the beast takes as another sign of discomfort.

He's unsure how long the pain has to last for the quest to be considered a success, but as blood fountains down the rock he thinks it's probably time to stop. With a flex of his mind, he crumbles the structure back into dust, feeling the familiar drain on his strength as he does so. His dragons, scenting blood, grow excited at the notion of prey, but a powerful eruption of their bonded's mind quickly deters them from striking. They will save their energy for another day, for another unfortunate creature.

As the painted one thanks him, Volterra lifts a sculpted eyebrow. How graceful, to thank the man that carved up his leg! "You're very welcome," he replies, cheerily. Inflicting pain is always fun for the macabre youngster, so the deal worked out quite well for both parties. "You should probably consult a healer, though," he points out, eyeing the wound. Unless that compromises the quest, but somehow the beast doesn't think even Moony is sick enough to make her worshippers risk infection in order to please her.

Deciding to leave Ashamin to his wounds, the behemoth dips his massive head in a goodbye nod. Then, dragons in tow, he moves away, skulking back into the shadows.

@Ashamin

A S H A M I N
on his own

The cheer in Volterra's voice was just as horrifying as the blood that spurted from Ashamin's leg when the giver of the wound's spike retreated. Ashamin found himself woozy, perhaps at the sight but most certainly as a result of the feeling. Even far from here the companions of the haruspex stirred in their sleep, troubled by a distant, mental scream.

But Ashamin did as he had before, gritting his teeth to avoid showing the pain. The other stallion was perhaps a bit more sadistic than Ashamin felt comfortable with, but he had the grace to leave quickly, to not linger. Advice to consult a healer, perhaps a too-eerie sense of pleasure, and he was gone.

The moment Volterra's body left the clearing, the Haruspex fell to the ground. He buried his face in the dirt, screaming bloody murder into the soil and a mouthful of dead grasses. Blood still fell from his leg, more painful than most spar wounds despite the composure of its happening, and Ashamin knew with certainty that he would need more than herbs to heal this injury.

Consult a healer, Volterra had told him. Wise boy he was, massive idiot Ashamin was for getting so hurt in the first place. But it was for magic. It was for protection. The haruspex fed himself beautiful lies to stave off the pain, all the while wondering, all the while hoping... is it worth it?

There was a certain bitterness in the pain, Ashamin found, now that it was unnecessary. Had he not completed one of the Moon Goddesses' chosen tasks, and hurt a member of his herd? Could he not return to her without this injury, before this day, and still have done as she asked?

Why, he wondered as he lay crying alone in dirt stained with his own blood, did he have to pretend he was so goddamned virtuous?

Consult a healer, Volterra had said. But time came and went, the sun began to set, and Ashamin did not rise. In time he would, and in time he would slowly begin to limp home. Halfway there he would meet one companion; a quarter of a way, the next. For now though, as the blood slowly dried, the haruspex simply stayed where he was. He needed some time to heal. He needed to be alone.

(table by Tamme)

@Volterra

Done! Thanks :)