the Rift

[PRIVATE] what becomes of curious minds

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit
Kaj
the Aurelight

What else did he block? It was the foremost thought in his head since his encounter with Brisa at the beach, a deep foreboding scowl creasing across his pale mouth. That his life had been turned so thoroughly upside down was...bothersome. It irked him, that he was left at a distinct disadvantage when it came to interacting with others. How could he determine whether he had forgotten them or not? Some still lingered indistinctly in his head, too prominent in his life to forget them completely, but whenever he pressed upon the memories it felt like gauze and an old ache of nothingness. A mild tell, but not one he felt comfortable relying upon. Still...Kaj did not want to return to Miykael and ask for the memories to be unblocked. He would not be Other Kaj, and it felt like some sort of cruel suicide. He already referred to them as separate people, and he knew that it would essentially be killing off himself just to return to that weakened, pathetic state. Kaj was far too selfish to do something like that. 

Other Kaj had destroyed nearly every relationship he'd put his fumbling hands on, but there was a singular soul that had weathered the idiot's storm consistently. Kaj held a deep fondness for her, a possessive sort of attachment that had been unleashed without the burden of excessive emotions. She was his in every way that mattered, and so there was no question as to who he would seek out for advice regarding Other Kaj's decisions and his own sparse feelings regarding the topic. 

Resplendence.

The mare was almost certain to be found in the prison cell she'd adapted into a healer's hut. He would have to fix that, as he would make sure that it was available for any prisoners they obtained in the future. Resplendence was too soft to be subjected to that kind of cruelty, and he'd not have her tainted by the proximity. He also did not want her using up the space, not when Other Kaj was so hesitant to use it even after Drom had challenged them. Still, for the time being, it was useful. It meant he knew where to find her.

The journey had been a long one, though he had not spared any moment than absolutely necessary. He needed Resplendence, and Kaj was not in the habit of denying himself the things he wanted. Much less the things he felt he needed. That was something Other Kaj would have tortured himself with, but Kaj? No, he would take what he wanted when he wanted it so long as he had the power to do so. Self fulfillment was nothing to be ashamed of after all. 

It was dark by the time he arrived, a soft flutter of wings, grass bowing beneath the force of the wind he manipulated in order to slow his descent. The Czar strode past the fabric into her den, eyes adjusting to the darkness and the shadows to find her frame within. They still slept together, and he knew she would not be disturbed or frightened by his arrival tonight. "Resplendence," he murmured gruffly as he approached. Slipped a wing across her and pulled her to him, familiar and natural, dropping his head to breath in her scent from her crest and her mane. "I blocked my memories of multiple people and events. I cannot remember many things. Brisa said that I confessed my love to her, after I saved her from drowning. What do I do?" It was very to the point, no time wasted, and he wondered how Resplendence would react, if only from a scientific kind of curiosity. 

@Resplendence 
IMAGE CREDIT

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
Resplendence
it's what you feel but can't articulate outloud

Resplendence had gone back to her regular space to sleep for the night. She didn't think that nightmares would plague her (for once) and Valiance was glad to know that her mind was not stuck on the what ifs of Quilyan's and Rue's existence. By now, the filly would be old enough to survive on her own. And… well… Quilyan could protect himself… if he needed her help he would have been here. He wouldn’t have left without warning her. He would have done something.

Still, it was Kaj who had made his way into her makeshift hut - wings pressing the fabric out of the way so that he could find his way inside without getting trapped in it. Valiance was the one who noticed his arrival first - eyes lingering upon the stag before he finally moved and allowed him to take his place beside Resplendence. Aye, it wasn’t his favorite idea, but he would make due with it for it gave Resplendence a feeling of peace that she had been struggling to find as of late.

He seems to press up against her, dragging her up against his flesh. She is still shifting through stages of sleep, and merely blinks her eyes a few times - to recognize his presence - and then curls up to share the body heat as the nights got colder. Her name had met her ears, but she hadn't truly paid much attention to realize that it had been said.

It was only when Valiance prodded her that she realized Kaj had spoken. Hazily, her mind began to piece together what he had said. Something about blocking away memories… and confessing love but not recalling. Saving someone from drowning. Confused, she tilted her head to blink up at him - the tiredness apparent in her gaze. "You did what?" she says, voice hoarse and quiet from the sleep before continuing on. ""Well… if you blocked your memories I am assuming it was… God Kaj." She still isn't quite wrapping her head around it all.

Valiance seemed to understand it a bit easier than Resplendence did, though. And, as if to explain it to the drowsy mare he took an image of Quilyan and her and hazed it over - making it seem far away and unreachable. Of course, it was only his imagination that made it so - and she could easily tell what he was showing (even if it was hazing and foggy). But she seemed to gather the point after that. ""I… I suppose you should explain that to her… something had to make you block the memories…" Still, she'd much rather just sleep then attempt to understand this at the moment.

Quietly, she shifts her body to press back up against him - closer and more protected - before finally saying, ""Can't we just sleep?" Her eyes start to fall closed again - finally accustomed to the glow of her mane and tail in the darkness of the cave creating a beacon for anyone who needed the healers.

Credits: Image by Schwartze @ DA
When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love

Kaj
the Aurelight

Sharp cerulean eyes flickered over the reptilian figure almost dismissively, already knowing the creature would move beneath his might. Resplendence did not sleep well alone, and it was the prerogative of a companion to meet the needs of its bonded. Or so Kaj understood it. True to form, though clearly disgruntled, Valiance swept away and allowed Kaj his customary spot beside and around the brindled mare. He casts his attention away from Valiance dismissively, instead peering down at the blearily blinking golden eyes he sought. It was clear Resplendence was not firmly within the world of the waking, Morpheus still singing sweetly in ears that he demanded for himself. He would not be denied her attention, and he rustled his wing against her, feathers intent on tickling her flank and underbelly to coerce her into paying attention to him. His greed could be as intricate as it could be shallow, and he was like a child demanding its mother's attention, trying to coax her from sleep to hear his dilemma. 

Her exhaustion was meaningful, for Kaj was not heartless even in his selfish and unbound state. She was one of the few to inspire such emotions like regret and apology, but he could not allow her to slumber even as her words slurred and her breast sighed with deep breaths that tried to lull her back to dreams and away from him. Kaj could not allow that. "Yes," he said quickly if only to give her something to focus on, his wing rubbing and coaxing instead of tickling, beginning to grow exasperated with his beloved medic. He wanted her to listen to him. He was spoiled by her affections and attentions, and with no boundaries to speak of, he did not have the patience to wait for the next morning for her benefit. Though he at least stopped to think about it, if only because she did mean more to him than normal. 

"I requested Miykael to block them." As if that made any difference, but perhaps Resplendence would take more interest in the subject if she knew that her co-medic had been the one to enact such a thing. "I did explain, but she was quite...emotional." His voice slowed on the word, a mixture of befuddlement, exasperation and disgust. Not recalling his emotional attachment to her, it had merely struck him as...messy. Those emotions were so flawed and distracting, but he had summoned a great deal of guilt for making her feel so badly. She was his friend after all. But that only irritated Kaj further, for he did not like feeling guilty.

For a moment she distracts him, small body pressing closer, easily sheltered by his massive frame. Kaj dropped his muzzle to the curve between nose and cheek, a gentle and deeply affectionate gesture. But her words simply could not do. "Resplendence," Kaj whined cajoled, nose bumping and nudging instead of stroking to try and wake her up. "What if this becomes a permanent thing? It will be so tedious. Did I truly love Brisa? I do not recall the emotion. Do you think I could remember an emotion but not a memory? Res? Res what do you think?" Shook her gently beneath the barrage of his questions, glinting blue eyes peering down at her like a giant child. "I do not know if I can love her like this. I am not Other Kaj. We are not the same, and I may not desire the same things he did."

For a moment he froze, knowing that Resplendence as well had not seen the differences between he and Other Kaj until now. Fear sank into his heart and his grip grew increasingly tighter on her. "Can you still love me when I am not him?" His frame began to tremble minutely, wing tight and clasping all the way beneath her belly, an instinctive assurance that he would keep her from running. Possessive, childishly greedy. She could not run. She had to stay.

Resplendence
IMAGE CREDIT

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

Resplendence

His wing was rustling up against her hide more than usual. Feathers tickling against her barrel and flank in order to keep her awake and pull her attention onto him. It succeeded, though very very slowly. She sighed, offering some kind of response. Finally, his wings changed to a gentle rub and her eyes flickered open – finally taking in the extent of what he was saying. He said yes, explaining that Miykael had blocked them that she was struggling to place the healer with such a power.

He explained how he had already told Brisa such a thing but that she was emotional and she was only more confused. Hell. She was emotional just about twenty four seven, and that hadn’t affected him at all. Still, she presses in closer and allows her weight to curl up against him. His maw presses against the curve in her face and she can feel his breath against him. Good, he was calming down – he was going to sleep and they could talk about it later.

Or not… He began to start bumping and nudging her with his nose and asking about five million questions all at once. There was a shake of his wings to keep her attention as he started to question what he would be able to do. Calling himself before the memories were blocked the "Other Kaj” and saying that they just weren’t the same. She sighs – feeling his body freeze – before pressing her head against his chest as she always did. Alas, his grip grew tighter – holding her tightly against his frame, as if afraid she would flee with this realization, and he asks if she can still love him like this. ”Kaj. I will love you regardless. It will be if you can deal with my ‘emotional’ self that will determine if you can still love me.” It’s a broken voice that speaks, eyes closed though her voice and breathing clearly shows that she is awake.

Still, it is from there that she moves onto the questions he had bombarded her with. ”If it is permanent then it is permanent and we will figure out how to work with it. If you loved Brisa you will know the emotion. I cannot recall specific memories of my first mate, or really place a face much anymore thanks to the time that has passed, but I can feel that emotion bubbling in the background regardless.” Her body almost seems to shrug as Valiance hovers around the pair – not necessarily enjoying Kaj’s vice-like grip upon his bonded, but not going to interfere when Resplendence was not complaining.

”If you can still love her like this – whatever this is – then you would still feel that emotion. You will still feel a pull toward her. You may not understand what that pull is, but I believe you would feel it.”

She doesn’t know if her words are good enough, but she still felt as though she had to try. Her head situates itself to rest against one of his limbs and press against his chest while she shifts her own limbs so they didn’t fall asleep. Aye, she doubted she would leave him. He was what little was left of her family that kept shattering, breaking, falling apart, dying, leaving, and disappearing. She knew she couldn’t give that up. That she couldn’t be strong enough to weather this world without at least one other soul.

When I'm ready to fall
With love

Kaj
the Aurelight

She truly was like an exasperated mother, thin gold slits peering up at him almost balefully. Kaj merely stared back at her, eager and demanding. She held the answers that he so sought, for he trusted no others to be his moral compass, his emotional tie to the world. Resplendence had unwittingly become his Jiminy Cricket. If he were not so intent on squeezing her into consciousness, perhaps he would find a kind of enjoyment in that. Amusement if nothing else. Where Other Kaj had been tormented by his own morality, Kaj was now so free of it that he relied upon an entirely independent entity to guide his emotionally-derived actions. An ironic twist of fate, he thought gleefully.

But still there were more important matters at hand, like trying to figure out why Resplendence's first words were so disconcerting. Why indeed did he find Brisa's display insulting and irritating, but he was not so disgusted by Resplendence? He stared hard into the darkness, light provided only by Resplendence's glowing dust. Was she a more fitting Tinker Bell then? "You do not annoy me," he stated plainly, brow furrowing in concentration, trying to pick apart the differences. "I know you better than Brisa. Her outburst seemed both unsightly and disrespectful at the time. I know you deeply, any disrespect from you would go unpunished, and I know you are strong beneath your emotions." Was that an appropriate answer? I know you better so I wouldn't kick your ass for snivelling?

"It is not permanent," he corrected swiftly, with a cool nonchalance, an apathy that spoke of his lack of desire to release those bound memories. Whether she questioned him on it was to be determined, but Kaj did not value wasted breath like Other Kaj did and so did not share his thoughts freely on the matter. Tilting his head he thought back to Brisa, feeling around the cottony thick edges of the memories he'd blocked of her. Trying to find an emotion tied to it. "I cannot remember any of the events that transpired that may have influenced and changed my emotions for her, so I cannot feel or recall the emotion itself." Yes, that was the truthful answer. He felt rather sure of it. 

Kaj dips his head idly when she burrows against his chest, finally relaxing his wing almost as an afterthought. He cuddles her close, though he blinks against the glow of her tresses, a familiar if invasive thing. "Should I try and fall back in love with her, if I do not love her right now? Or is that lying to the pair of us?"

Resplendence
IMAGE CREDIT

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

Resplendence

Resplendence is uncertain of the entire situation. Not sure of how he can want to be around someone as emotional but call someone else’s moment of weakness… aggravating. Yet, somehow she did not annoy him because he knew her better. She sighs, quite honestly still wanting to sleep instead of work through each of these situations with him. But, she would do what he needed for the moment. ”How do you know that she is not strong beneath hers? How do you know that my emotions will not begin to aggravate you as time progresses?” It was an anxious concern. One that she was clinging to for fear of losing the family she had left because she couldn’t be what they needed.

He had asked if it was a permanent thing and then blandly stated that it was not permanent. It was too late for this confusion. ”Then we can fix it if we need to.” she said just as nonchalantly back, though there was a small bit of bite to it. He apparently had tried to think back upon memories – shuffling through them with a tilted head. He claimed that he could not feel or recall the emotion itself and so she stayed quiet, allowing him to mess with the muddle of his thoughts for the time being.

Slowly, her breathing began to edge off – almost sliding back into a world of dreams and peace. Except, just as she was about to he spoke again. His body pressed in closer to hers, though he loosened the grip of his wing so it rested more-so like a blanket than as something confining her. Try to fall back in love. ”Lying would be saying you did when you didn’t. I would move on, if you knew that you were willing to let her be happy, regardless of your emotions. But I would also tell her that you were unsure of if that love would ever return.” It’s some kind of fake answer. Not a good one. Not particularly one she’d want to hear, but she felt that it held some kind of truth. And dammit, she was freaking tired. Did he really expect good, coherent answers right now to such philosophical based questions? Like… she didn’t freaking know the meaning of life… unless it was to survive multiple freaking tortures.

When I'm ready to fall
With love