the Rift

[OPEN] Whole Lotta' Shakin', #7

Ahvelyn Posts: 44
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 13 [Orangemoon] HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Jen
Those days are gone

Beneath my hooves, the world was glass. Maybe it was the season, covering the world in a white blanket of ice and snow, but some youthful part of me longed to pretend it was some strange power I had.

Ice beneath my feet, winter at my command: I was the ice queen.

I scratched at the icy edges of the blood falls, contemplating the pain that so many had felt here. Now, with the bodies finally gone, it seemed almost peaceful. But I kept my eye on the prize: the ruby red stones at the bottom of the well.

Well, metaphorical, any way. Well... ugh. It was all becoming a jumble. Maybe I wasn't so young as I wanted to be, wasn't so sharp. No matter, I had come here with a purpose and I wouldn't leave without parting those waters.

The only problem was the cold. Though the motion of the falls kept most of the lake beneath them still bubbling and active, though the season was milder than most, there was still a chill that bother my aching bones. Still, I gritted my teeth and moved closer to the center of the lake. My legs shivered, my long tail spread out like a fan atop the waters. Above, the wind brought with it chill and soft snowflakes that peppered my dark coat. The longer I hesitated to dive in, the more my markings faded beneath a thin blanket of white. When I was younger I would have shrugged off the cold and kept going, would have pressed on. But now I was tired, now I was living every moment in wait. I had given myself this task to distract myself from old pain, hard memories. Do something small, I'd told myself. Just collect some stones from the bottom of a red pond and come out clean, cold and wet--come out feeling none of your hurt.

Maybe I'd just wait here for a while.

""
AHVELYN
image credits

Open! Lyn is planning on collecting red stones from the bottom of the falls.

Timothy Posts: 18
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 15hh :: 2 (Birdsong)
Watermel0nBob

Here you are running again little boy, trying to escape from my clutches as you always do. This is our daily game isn't it? This little run of cat and mouse where in the end the cat always enjoy a fulfilling lunch. I lick my chops at the thought of devouring you. You only quiver and quake in terror as you lope forward, into the falls where a once vicious beast lay. How beautiful the blood had been; splattered around all the bodies and mayhem. You had screamed while I had laughed, and there was no solace for you here. Yet you return out of sheer desperation to leave me behind, and you don't seem to understand that this can never happen. Like the flesh upon your bones and hair upon your pretty head; I am a part of you. With each ragged breath you stumble closer and closer to the ruby falls that still haunt your dreams, yet they seem so much more inviting than I. I can't help but be jealous little boy, I thought I was your favorite after all. I don't like to share my toys either.

Your ivory bodice blends in perfectly with the snow, yet I can still always sniff you out even in the darkest of places. Rest assured lad, I will always find you. With a whimper biting the back of your throat you skitter forward, steps jerky and frantic in an attempt to control yourself and me all at once. Though I am untamable, I am the boogeyman that hides beneath your bed each night while you try to convince yourself that all it is is the wind making noises outside. Continue to deny me, continue to cover your ears and sing silly songs at the top of your lungs so you don't need to listen to my truths, but no matter what happens I am not leaving you. Hide beneath your silky wings then, shy away from my advances, that only spurs me on to torture your pathetic soul further. Fuel my fire boy, give me the satisfaction of making your life and living hell. You finally make it to the edge of the pool, ignoring the blue maiden beside you (a pity really, I was hoping for some entertainment), and plunge deep within the cool depths.

You ignore the sharp pins and needles of the cold waters, and only let yourself sink to the bottom. Like a white rose among a dozen red you are a beacon amongst the stones, the perfect target for me to practice on. You are no longer paying attention to me, you're ignoring every move I make and every where I whisper into your ears; but I know you can still hear me, and that is all the reassurance I need to keep going with this little game. Your minty eyes may be closed but I know you still see me, you may be holding your breath but soon you will need to come up for air... oh? Is that your new plan? To drown yourself? Well I'm honored that you would resort to that for me! Keep resting there still then sonny, enjoy the harsh burn of your lungs begging for air, let me know how well that works for you. I see the water beginning to trail into those pink nares, to seep into your system and try to anchor you down. Please continue... I will very much enjoy your death.

-table by niki-

@Ahvelyn

PLEASE TAG ME IN ALL POSTS!!!

PLEASE ASK BEFORE INJURING/MAIMING MY CHARACTER!! (Any other physical interaction is permitted)

Murtagh Posts: 92
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 hh :: 2.5 years
Sorellina :: Spectacled Bear :: None Sarah

The compass began spinning again and Murtagh was ready for it. So ready for it! With all of the horses in Helovia he would’ve thought that more of them needed his help. Maybe it was the fact that he was so young and there was a finite number of things that he could actually do. But still!. When it spun and focused on one direction the colt had bullied Eytan into following him. And by that he means he had leaned his full weight into the grizzly bear to get him moving. Murtagh was fairly certain that his mother’s companion would have followed him anyway but it was more fun to tease him.

Together, bear and boy followed the guidance of the compass - correcting his path every time they started to drift in another direction. He wondered if he’d be able to keep the compass after the quest was over so that he would always be able to help those in need. They travel east out of their home in the Hidden Falls and arrive at the strangest looking waterfall that Murtagh had ever seen. It was red! Not being overly used to the sight of blood he just thought of it as ‘red’ but he was pretty sure water wasn’t supposed to look like that, either way.

Of course, his attention wasn’t on the water for very long. There was a brightly striped mare standing on the ice!

“Hello!” He called out cheerfully to the mare, certain that she was the one that his compass had been pointing to. It gave a little waver as he came to stand at the edge of the pool and he checked it, saw that it was pointing at the blue mare. And she was standing near the middle of a frozen pond so it wasn’t all that hard for him to imagine that she needed some help. He didn’t go any further - he was very careful not to let even a single small hoof touch the ice.

Curious about this mare as he was, he couldn't help but cast a pointed look at Eytan to say ‘Look, I’m being safe.’ But he should probably make sure that she was being safe too. “You gotta be careful, my Papa said that the ice is dangerous.”

Murtagh

it sounded like Timothy was under water so I figured Murtagh wouldn't be able to see him?
and permission from Ali to have Eytan keep Murtagh company ^^

@Ahvelyn
[Image: 5626f07281a02]
pixel by Kiara <3

Jen
Those days are gone

You see, there was a reason I didn't go out much. Mainly that was because every time I went out I was bothered or badgered by someone or something, and because I was too old and tired to put up with that crap. When I left my home I expected to find a nice quiet adventure, uninterrupted by idiots.

But that was the problem with leaving home in Helovia. This place was the edge of the world, and though I had thought I'd seen it all ever since coming here I'd learned one thing only: I hadn't seen half of it.

Helovia had its own new host of idiots that no other place before had bother to keep around. In that sense this seemed to be some sort of ground for rejects, some hollow gathering of souls that were like in that they'd essentially been unwanted elsewhere. For some reason or another their lives were tragic or they had the misfortune of being born here. Somehow, I had ended up among these ranks.

When the white stallion first entered the water and walked by me, I was pleased. He sported plumage almost as long as mine and watching it float away from me was good, because it wasn't meant he was going to piss me off. But as he started to sink lower without acknowledgement, as the charm on his necklace floated upwards and away from his falling form, my satisfaction turned quickly to alarm. Was he trying to drown himself? What kind of idiot would drown him--

Ah yes, that's right. A man would. Of course. A stallion only would pick the most inefficient form of suicide, so obviously performed in front of another. I was half tempted to let him end his own stupid life, but then a small voice behind me chirped.

A foal. My heart surged and pounded as I realized that this small child, as far as I was concerned abandoned, was trying to offer me help. Though, wait, wasn't there a bear by the thing? Certainly it wasn't violent, it seemed too subdued. Maybe a companion, like so many others wandering about.

The water above the white stallion bubbled and stirred, and I didn't have time to entertain childlike whimsy. "Just--" just what? Stay there? "Yes, ice is dangerous. But don't make a habit of listening to your papa, stallions are idiots. Stay there, don't grow up into one."

I hesitated, my breath caught as I inhaled as much as I could into my old lungs. "I'll be right back."

And with that I dove, my long blue hair resisting the foolish motion and vainly tugging me back up. My jaws snapped at the wing joint of the idiot who had tried to kill himself to get a grip and pull him up. Kill yourself in front of Ahvelyn? Nice try. Might be a stupid ass stallion that didn't deserve the ground under his feet or the charm on his neck, but he wasn't going to die on my watch.

""
AHVELYN
image credits

@Timothy
@Murtagh

Please don't tag me, just let me know on skype.

Timothy Posts: 18
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 15hh :: 2 (Birdsong)
Watermel0nBob

It's your lucky day kiddo, the blue crone has decided to spare your fruitless existence. You barely feel the pull of your wing as she brings you to the surface, and it is only once you reach the surface do you gasp and cough, rejecting the liquids that were never meant to enter your lungs and you're kicking, scrabbling for any motion to pull yourself onto the ice. You're so numb you can't feel her teeth still wedged into your wing, but once you notice her holding on you flinch, rearing back and crashing onto the ice clumsily. Soon all the water expels from you, and you're left a soaked and mangled mess, watching her with those mint eyes, wondering if she can actually get out. Without thinking you move towards her, attempting to grip her mane at the root and to try and pull her up, hoping that at least you can assist in getting her back on the ice.

Soon you fall back onto your bottom, drenched and shivering quite badly from the sudden changes in temperature. It is only in this moment that you notice the colt, most likely wondering just what the fuck you and the older mare were doing in the first place. Foolish boy, not only do you make an old woman come save you, but you scar an innocent child for life? You're a monster you know, and that's why no one will ever love you. To think your mother birthed you, loved you, and even died for you; and this is what you have become. You snap at the air suddenly and whimper, flattening your ears at me and backing into a tree. As soon as your rump hits it you jump, jolting forward and slipping on the ice once again. Soon you're crashing down, legs splayed in a x-mark as your glide slowly back towards the mare, chin flat and eyes staring up at her as you finally come to a stop. You're an idiot.

-table by niki-

@Murtagh

PLEASE TAG ME IN ALL POSTS!!!

PLEASE ASK BEFORE INJURING/MAIMING MY CHARACTER!! (Any other physical interaction is permitted)

Murtagh Posts: 92
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 hh :: 2.5 years
Sorellina :: Spectacled Bear :: None Sarah

“My papa isn’t a stallion - she’s tougher than that.” Murtagh wrinkled his nose up a little bit at the thought - not yet understanding that a stallion and mare were the usual parents for a foal. He didn’t see anything unusual about his family (and had actually been rather surprised to learn that not everyone had two mothers - just as he had been to find out that not everyone had a bear).

Still, that minor discrepancy put aside he was inclined to listen to the blue mare when she told him to stay put.  Following her didn’t make any sense, even if he wasn’t entirely sure what he was doing. When she dived into the water he screeched a little bit and went to take another step but Eytan was right there, leaning into him and releasing a huff that told the colt to stay put. He wanted to be good and keep his promise to his Papa and didn’t intend on putting a single hoof onto that ice (the grizzly was sure to rat him out as soon as he did) but he watched the part of the water where she had disappeared with growing anxiety.

Much to his surprise, not one but two figures emerged - the blue mare and this white winged dude. How long had he been down there?

Murtagh began pacing impatiently along the edge of the pond - lavender eyes moving from the pegasus that was backing into a tree to the mare that had caught his attention earlier. There didn’t really seem to be too much he could do for either of them at this point, just hope that they both made it back to solid ground safely. This was why ice was dangerous! He took one look at the cold figures before him and it solidified the lesson in him. He never wanted to risk taking a bath in water that cold.

“Are you alright?!” He called out to the pair of them, his voice still high-pitched with youth and all the more so because of his worry. Why would his compass lead him here if there was nothing he could do to help?

Murtagh
[Image: 5626f07281a02]
pixel by Kiara <3

Jen
Those days are gone

Somehow, he lived.

He didn't really deserve to I don't think, not in hindsight and not then, but he sure as hell did. He came out coughing and sputtering, I came out soaking and immediately exhausted, but we were both still alive.

God, how he didn't deserve to be. My hair (luckily tangled with a few of those stones I'd been looking for) dragged me down and I stood uneasily, trying to regain my balance even as freezing cold crawled up my legs and through my very bones. The colt, still insistent on speaking, had said something about its papa being a mare (what world was this?) and then asked if we were alright.

Well, no. Maybe he'd just asked if this albino idiot was, this idiot who slid towards me on the ice, fucking knocked my legs out from under me the second he did, who lit a rage inside me...

"Is he alright?" I yelled back, breath raspy and mouth dribbling with freshly expelled water and a tinge of bile, "He's fu--" I paused, considered censoring myself, and thought better of it. He'd learn the words someday, wouldn't he? "Fucking lucky! Lucky that I was here to drag his sorry ass out of the falls!"

I turned my gaze, cold and hateful, to stare down at the idiot with the heavy mop of feathers and failure. "Are you happy? You've scared a child and made an old woman dive into danger to save your pitiful hide, and you can't even say something about it?" I coughed, my hind leg slipping back as I tried to stay steady. I just had to stay standing, had to keep breathing...

"You asshole! Apologize! To both of us! And never pull that kind of shit again, do you hear me?" I snapped my teeth in his face and my eyes rolled as pain lunged at my chest with even that small motion. What an idiot, what a goddamned idiot...

"DO YOU HEAR ME, YOU PIECE OF HALF DEAD SHIT?"

No sympathy, no sorrow. I was on fire, quaking and burning inside. I'd just saved a life and I felt no joy. For why, how, in what unjust world, was this suicidal fool alive when my three precious babes were all dead?

""
AHVELYN
image credits

@Timothy
@Murtagh