the Rift

[OPEN] this world is never gonna be enough

Sikeax the Sea Soul Posts: 355
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16 hh :: 5 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Hobgoblin :: Common Rougarou :: Water & Seoul :: Plain White Dragon :: Toxic Breath Zuno
Sikeax,
Days ticked by like they had places to be. Places far away from Sikeax when she was begging them to stay, driven by a first time mother’s fear of her child and everything that will unfold before her when she takes the big leap into that world through birth. She tells herself that she’s not ready for this, but a mother with their first can never be completely prepared.
By the end, she’s confined to the innermost parts of the Dragon’s Throat, tucked away in the oasis where the sea of green seems endless and surreal when the snow is probably already falling in the north.
Oh, how she’d love to see it again, glittering with the shine of a thousand diamonds as pale moonlight and the majestic palette of Northern Lights ignite everything through those long nights. She wonders if the baby will take to the sand like she did the snow, forever connected to it even if it isn’t there at all times.
Most of all, she wonders if the child will be okay, if the child will love her and be able to brave the world braver than she had ever done.
Hobgoblin snorts. All the talk and thoughts of children finds no purpose in his head. They’ve never existed to him, never been a part of his life. To his brain, child is nothing more than a word than Sikeax tosses about in the stormy ocean of her mind, raging across the waves of emotions and bracing itself for impact like that will save it. “What makes it so important?”
Over the last few hours, he’s waited with boredom while she stresses and paces, finally giving in completely when her legs tell her it’s no longer worth it to stand. The grass is cool when it sweeps over her champagne coat, dampened with sweat even though she feels as if she’s done no physical work to bring it along.
Is this how it’s supposed to be?
A short chirp leaves her empty handed, faced with contractions that fade in and out with time but slowly work themselves into a faster pace.
Within time, she’s abandoned, petrified even when they do stop after what feels like hours, having ticked away into the dawn with enough southern sunlight to bring the birds out. Their songs hit her with brute force, how serene the world feels without the pai-
The baby.
She’s never thought about how Adrixaura came to look at her for the first time, as of she might of felt when she saw her new baby lying in the cold, fresh snow, shivering and whining out of hunger and the need for warmth. For Sikeax, she sees now that maybe it’s a Godsend that her child, son, is cradled in the beauty of a good Orangemoon.
He doesn’t even look real til she presses her muzzle against the soft, black coat he’s painted himself with and felt his wet newborn body. A small shake follows short.
And as she starts the process of cleaning him, it strikes her that she hasn’t even cared to think of a name for him.

OOC: Birthing thread for Zhu!
Feel free to post before Zhu replies if you'd like to come in and see the new baby.

talk
credits

you were angels,
so much more than everything

:: please tag me
:: minor force and power play allowed

Zhu Posts: 23
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 7.5 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 16'3 :: 3yrs HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zuno
one must never learn to fear the demons in the world,
and must instead choose to embrace them

Heartbeats. The rhythm is set, changing in tempo on occasion from things that make him tense, moving about in his warm, dark home, even when the walls close in on him. No second thoughts are given towards their change. It’s merely the changing of time, empty minutes spent doing nothing when his conscious is not prepared for the outside world.
For now, his broken ears listen to the song that plays on repeat, an endless lullaby that whispers soon with a gentle tongue that later turns into a blade.
When time can longer no take his existence and the lullaby he listens to has finally hit the last note, the blade sweeps down, down, and down, making it’s mark.
Oh, goodbye, sweet world.
Light touches his delicate, moon eyes with a flame so bright and harsh that it snares and rips the world away from them before he can begin to comprehend that it exists. Burning fingers take his sight further away, shaking for a reason he can’t understand when his body feels pain in so many ways that he’d never be able to count them all.
The cold air upon his new, wet baby bites and draws out small cries from his lips, distorted when they crawl in his ears.
Is that what I sound like?
Something else is making a sound, or more like multiple things seem to be making the same noise over and over again. It’s there, out of grasp but close enough that he’s able to be aware that there are other things in this place other than himself. The only familiar noise is gone, presumably for good. Sikeax’s heartbeat will no longer be able to calm him when there are so many things that make no sense to take it away from him.
She is there to fill in the gap left behind, instantly mending the first feeling of sadness in his chest when she touches him, pressing a warm, soft muzzle against his body. He attempts to escape for what must be a half a second, leaping with his entire being out of fear of what he can barely see. The brutality enacted upon his young eyes is slowly subsiding, giving him the first idea of what this new life is really like, and what it begins with.
Though he does not know what to call her, either with a name or a term of attachment, there is a feeling of need that he instinctively knows to force upon her. She is so different from him that he wonders if there’s a way that they will ever be alike. She is the day and he is the night, her eyes the sky and his eyes the moon and all the stars. If she had not just given him to the world, he would of have denied relations to her simply from appearance.
No words have been exchanged. No name has been placed upon his new life, courtesy of her, and he wonders if the world is made of silence from his species, if he had broken an unknown rule by calling out to her. Pain finds a different place to burrow. It grips his stomach and tightens it, twisting it around until he is forced to whine more and more, begging for something he’s not exactly sure how to receive just yet.

@Amara

Amara Posts: 136
Outcast atk: 6 | def: 8.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1 hh :: 6 years HP: 60.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sameira :: Royal Hellhound :: Hellfire dark
Amara
I am crushed under the anxiety, the pressure, the fear. I felt a knot well in my throat as I wandered, wings strapped uselessly to my sides and eyes sunken in, "you look worse than before, eat more." The idea of eating sounds inappropriate, absurd to my irrational mind, I don't deserve it. Murderers don't deserve lives, to live and laugh and be happy, and I am no exception. I've felt worse and worse, ever since I started blacking out more, started feeling less and less apart of anything. I could taste the iron of blood, the bitterness of (flesh, flesh flesh), an unsettling burning in my gut as my body works against whatever I've consumed. I feel queasy, restless and pained with each step as Sameira trudges beside me, her silence uncomfortable but presence reassuring as my lids lay half closed. 

I kept Sia on my mind, my concern for her well being taking root as soon as I saw her up on the cliff, staring death in the face with some sort of need, as if looking for a justifiable reason to push herself ever closer. I remember looking at her like she was the only thing that ever mattered, remembered feeling warm and happy because she was just looking at me, acknowledging my presence. I needed that validation, the vindication of my exist on this earth, that I wasn't just an ethereal spirit, alone and drifting through the world without a sense of purpose (not like I don't have one now either). She had been cold and it had hurt, it had hurt so much to hear her voice sound so callous, so cruel (Mama I'm so sorry, mama please forgive me). I can't remember anything after that, after a quickened heart rate and sinking stomach, my memory hazy, I could only remember muffled words, voices like mine (Brother, it hurts) but drastically different, I woke up crying and alone, my infection burning vigorously, recently reopened by my own hand (Stop it, I don't want it— I'm sorry I'm sorry!).  

I unknowingly began scratching at my shoulders, aggressively scraping my teeth against the ragged skin with the whites of my eyes peeking out, panting while I stare in the distance. She's dying, watch her there, look into her eyes and tell her. Tell her she's dying, tell her how you feel. I bite into my shoulder, gasping as It waltzes closer, haunting voice a venomous whisper, despite their distance I could feel their breath on my neck. It rolls down, caressing my sweaty tresses and smoothing out over my flecked hide. It dances in similar spots, dark legs taking It closer to me, a wicked grin sprawled across the familiar face, my mother mocking me with a toxic sing song voice. Behind It I see Sia, hounds on her heels with fear swallowing her champagne face, her inevitable doom coming as soon as our eyes collided. The predators took her down, their strength and numbers too much for Sia to handle and she collapses, claws and teeth descending upon her. For every scream that tears from her throat, I bite deeper and deeper until there's blood and spit and tears colliding on my body ("Amara— please"). This seems like  a hellish nightmare, because I cannot convince myself it isn't real, even though I know it's okay, that this isn't Sia. I swallow my blood, warm and metallic and scarily comforting as it washes down my throat. 

I'm rushing before I even have time to register my movement, my shock and the twisted fear that takes residency in my gut. Sameira is in pursuit, her tongue lolled out as she chases me down with concern for my well being. "Being irrational, she is fine. We can visit soon, but you are not in good health." You don't understand, not seeing Sia made me sick, to think that she could really be dead and that my feelings for her could never be whispered between us, that I could never share with her how deep my love goes. Something ticks, a teasing tick tock, tick tock (what if she doesn't love me? Please love me, love me lOVE ME L O V E  M E). I feel the ticking continue, my mood flaring with a foreign passion, my legs thundering against the earth as I open my wings, steady, hesitantly. "Mara, please! Do not pursue, lying skin stealer!" You wouldn't understand the way I feel, perhaps on a minute scale, but I need to do this, I can't live peacefully if I don't. I have to see her. 

My fly to the Throat is tragic to witness, the brittle air taking me through the clouds, numbing my body as the signs of an upcoming Frostfall become present. "Come back, turn around! We check on her another day, it is too cold for flight now! Late late! Mara it is dark, you will be lost." I'll be okay, perhaps getting lost will be the best for me, maybe then I can accept death easier, without remorse for abruptly losing myself and my belief in the world. I am but a burden to the earth, another being to take and take and take and never give, I take lives, waste lives, precious ones that could have flourished to be something beautiful (Mother, look what I've made! I thought the face was the prettiest, so it's the centerpiece! Don't you love it?) I bring myself beneath the cover of clouds, ignoring Sameira's frantic pleading for me to turn around and come back to her, to land and return to her side. I know you mean well, but I cannot return to you, not when I'm so invested in seeing Sia, not when I've so willingly gotten myself trapped in my anxieties. 

I see her, my searching eyes pinpointing the familiar amber champagne with a reluctant smile drawing across my lips, tears of joy welling in my eyes as I circle once, twice, getting closer before I take notice of her position, spilled against the ground. She's at such a secluded place, maybe she was sleeping? But the sight of reddened sand, barely hidden beneath her ebony tail. Oh god oh god oh god ohgodohgoditwasrightshe— I'm always right. Look at her, what a tragic thing, you've only just made it. 

The landing is frantic, the impatience of my mind becoming a danger as I crash into the sands with a great solid hit, joints screaming with the pressure of my landing, gasping for air as I surge forward. I'm tripping over myself, eyes brimming with tears and I take no time in getting to Sia, choking and tasting blood (I know what you've done, I know where you've been. Disgusting, do you hear me? DISGUSTING). A new layer of blood patches my skin, my flight having reopened the only just clotted wound, the burning none of my concern as I tremble, horrified of what lays before me. 

She didn't, she didn't. 

Nonononono this is wrong, this is wrong. Oh oh, what have we here? My eyes follow my dam's figure, watching her teeter over the midnight babe upon the ground, fresh and wet and— hers. I'm panicking in so many ways, overwhelmed by so many thoughts and feelings (make it stop, please it hurts make it stop!) There was blood staining the earth, the aftermath of the birth I had missed, and I felt my stomach plummet because she was at risk. Whether it be her body or me that betrays her first, only time will tell. 

The idea of her death was devastating, savagely bringing ruin to my emotions. She didn't, nono she couldn't. My attachment to her becomes present, my childish greed apparent at the thought of someone else touching her, of her body being touched and explored by someone who I was not, by a foul disease that took the form of an egotistical dick-wielder. I choke back my tears, trying not to show the hurt even though I knew it was a futile attempt. I can only hold my tongue for a minute, biting it as I try to compose myself enough to talk, but my emotions have taken flight and I'm becoming a mess (Mommy can't see me be sad, she'll be angry, mad mad. I don't want to hurt again, be happy for mommy). 

I cough as soon as my mouth opens, blood pooling with my spit as I stare down at Sia. I don't know how to feel, angry, sad, disappointed, jealous, disgusted, should I simply cry? I don't know what to do with myself, feeling my mind slipping out like a teen avoiding responsibilities, through the window and into the night. "Y-you—" Is all I can manage, tearing at my lip until more blood pooled, chewing aggressively as an attempt not to overreact, I had to stay calm, calm. There was a baby, I couldn't yell (Look at this thing! This is no child of mine, you lying bitch! You let someone else have you, and I bet you liked it. How sick, how putrid of a mongrel like you!) I'm angry, I'm mad, I am furious. Had she never considered my gross attachment to her to be more than just some close friendship? Had she never caught my lovesick gaze?

How how how, why why why

Someone had touched her, had felt her and taken her beneath them. She had let them plant the seed, they had committed a shameful act and I bet she liked it. I start grinding my teeth together, breathing laboured as I stare down at the baby and then at Sia with absolute raw disgust and fear. What was I supposed to do? What do you say to someone you love, to someone you've broken yourself over and over for, who has had a kid that isn't yours, what do you say? How do I voice my feelings without it all blowing up in my fucking face?

Isn't it unfair? Look at her, she gets to be happy with her baby, he gets to have a mom. She gets to live and raise her child, but look at me Amara. I refuse to turn my head, stuttering gasps escaping my lips as It gets closer and closer, stepping over the black youth that has settled against the ground. I make eye contact with burning amber eyes, hurt and emotional— this is the most emotion I've ever seen in It's eyes. Look at ME, don't you see me? Don't you know how sad it is, that you never had a mother, that you never will. I had Seele, Seele had taken me in, she had treated me like her child, raised me. She wasn't the most attendant foster dam, but she had done the job, and I cannot thank her enough. She sacrificed herself to protect me, to keep me and that stallion alive. You're destined to be alone. Sikeax will find someone else, she already has. She's moved on, your delusional fantasies about being happy with her are false, she will never love you. Not now, not ever. Please. I want It to stop. I can't bear It anymore, I failed I know, but I don't want to admit my pain, I don't want to admit that It's won. 

This pain, this feeling of having my chest torn open (isn't it already?), of my heart being scooped up within clawed hands and crushed between calloused fingers, my blood staining everything (no, it's alright. I- it's okay, I can just wait. It doesn't hurt, I promise dear.) The overpowering need to scream tears at my throat, to scream and wail and throw a tantrum because life isn't fair and I will never be a relevant piece of Sikeax's life. "H- how could you? How could you do this to me, what did I do to fucking deserve this?" My voice is unsteady, my lips quivering as my tears come faster now, my breathing uneven and panicked as I look down at Sia, half tempted to turn and flee, but also begging for an answer. It was too late to leave now, I'd dug myself a fucking grave and jammed one foot straight into it (I'll make you pay for this, I'll make you wish that man had never touched you, that you'd never given birth to such a disgusting thing), I was furious and my body obviously twitched and trembled, my gasping was aggressive and loud, and my fury was not to be quiet. I would be loud, I was furious and hurt, I was going to scream and shout and be as mad as I wanted to be, as envious and uncaring of Sia's feelings as I wanted. 

@Sikeax

Hobgoblin :: Common Rougarou :: Water & Seoul :: Plain White Dragon :: Toxic Breath Zuno
Sikeax,
Love. She knows it’s there the first moment that he shivers beneath her touch, the first cry out for everything she has to offer him in the world. It plants a small, tired and winter-worn flower in her chest and waters it with tears of happiness, bathed in the sunlight that glows from her smile. He takes away all of her worries about how she’ll be as a mother to him with that one small cry, looking for her, begging for her love.
And little does he know that she has enough of it fill the entire oceans, all the oceans that have been and will ever be, just for him.
The low exchange of comforting noises slips from her like a siren’s song, stopping every few seconds through his first bath to love him more, rubbing her velvet muzzle across his small body and showing him exactly how much he means to her. It gives her the feeling of a fresh start in life, something she can only remember when crying at the borders of the Dragon’s Throat, swearing loyalty with tears brimming in her eyes, firmly attached to her father’s side like he could save her from the world that from day in and day out had taught her that she was supposed to be hated, not loved.
“I love you, my precious-”
The first exchange of words to one another is cut short. Something inside roars from within her chest like an angry lion that tells her that this beautiful, rare moment that she might never be able to experience again in her life has been tainted with the presence of someone not worthy.
If even Hobgoblin was to fall from the skies and come between her and her new son, she would of gone for blood. Adrixaura had brought her into a cruel world with utmost secrecy and sacredness,   sharing moments meant only to be held between a mother and her new babe.
Stone cold blue eyes glare with a raging flame that could almost rival the hatred and aggression of Hobgoblin towards those that dared to stand against him. Behind the veil of their bond, she cries out to him with pleas and begs. She doesn’t want to be alone and exposed, forced to protect her son when he could so easily become hurt because a reckless fight with Amara.
The other mare’s state encourages her to hide away her newborn, stepping over his small, frail and hungry body with the most amount of caution possible, guarding him with her life. Out of all the warning signs she might of been able to give, of all the ones that could so clearly portray ‘fuck off’ perfectly, it’s her face that about does it.
Right now, she wants Amara to die, because how dare she think she could invade this moment. How dare she choose to make herself the center of the show, forcing Sikeax to turn her attention away from the most important thing in her life beginning today? How fucking DARE Amara choose to be selfish, putting herself in a place she has never ASKED to be placed in, a place that she had no right to inhabit simply because she held envy and jealousy over a newborn?
Instead of replying with respect and the caring tongue that is shared between lifelong friends who have made the oath to always be there for one another, Sikeax makes the choice to snort in Amara’s face, bellowing with hot air as if the gates of hell might rip open from her nostrils.
“You, Amara? How could you deserve this? She laughs, half-assed and mocking all of Amara’s childish emotions at once. “Would you like to be the child? Would you like to nurse instead of him? The way you’re acting makes me think that his newborn mind is far more sensible than your adult mind. You can be a child with him. I can raise you two together, and then, maybe then, I can teach you how to be selfless and kind to others.”
Her words are spitting fire and acid, fueled on by how Hobgoblin now feels at the sight of Amara. The bloodied mess is an absolute opposite to the fresh, clean and beautiful slate of the child. From deep within the pit of his stomach, full from a fresh meal, he feels the urge to vomit.
The rightful throne is left abandoned, landing beside Sikeax’s sweat-coated body and slipping away into a more attractive form. It is here that he is able to see the child for the first time, confused and already attempting to stand on shaking legs in a search for its mother’s teat.
“Is this baby?” No answer. Sia’s eyes are still caught up in the battle with Amara, burning like embers. There might be even the rare chance that he is the calm one in the situation, sitting with a child that he has no idea how to work with.
“What do we call baby?”
It strikes her like a raw chord. Amara’s presence had kept her away from the important things that a mother should do on the child’s first day. The urge to spit comes up again. “Your selfishness has taken away from me the first thing I’ve been able to truly enjoy in a long time, something special. You deny me the ability to name my son, my precious firstborn. You even cut me from being able to show him the love he needs because you feel that the world must revolve around yourself.” Nothing dares to stop her. She’s become a lioness, one who is more than willing to verbally maul those who step in the way of her and her child.
As for physically, she could always cry out, beg for someone, anyone, within the caring and protective walls of the Dragon’s Throat to aid in keeping her and her new son safe.
“Are you proud of how you act?”
One more final blow, all to seal it in all in like a hot wax seal of a particularly harsh letter of hatred.

OOC: Writing Zhu with Sikeax from this post on. It's a bit tiring to have to write two posts back to back to keep the thread moving and it'd be easier to have that way.

talk
credits

@Amara

you were angels,

Amara
It all comes crashing down on me like the climax of a tragedy, the terrible ending to the tragic hero whose persistent pain and foolishness brought them down. I suffer this pain, immense and unsettling as it rocks closer and closer until my eyes meet Sia's and she's burning brighter than the sun, enraged and absolutely fuming with something I will never grasp. I interrupted something important, something innocent and sacred, a ritual shared between mother and child. It was to be special, with loving coos and gentle licks from the dam while the babe learns the expanse of its existence and the capacity of its love. I do not understand the importance of this process, the ritualistic way in which you must wash the child, maybe because I'd never gotten the chance to have this, to share this moment with my mother (Hang in there baby, please, for mama? Please stay alive oh please please. Don't leave me, not again, I don't want to lose another). She died too soon, leaving me with her dried bodily fluids, flaky and disgusting I came into this world just as I would go out. A disaster, a catastrophic mess whose only talent was fucking things up even more without trying. Seeing Sia so angry over something so insignificant made me want to shout at her, to tell her to get over it because oh fucking well, it's not that big a deal. I was getting colder with each passing second, my intolerance for her temper was growing like a sponge underwater, expanding and soon enough I'd be too full. 

I didn't get her reaction, I didn't understand why she became so angry, so suddenly souring (I swear mother, I've done nothing wrong. I don't know what you're talking about) and letting her features harden. She was scowling at me like I'd insulted her, or spat in her face, like I'd done something so unspeakably terrible. Me, doing the unspeakably terrible thing, when she'd let herself get fucked (Dirty, disgusting, your filth makes me ill. Get away from me). The images of a man breathing hot and heavy, trembling with pleasure because of her, taking her beneath him like a beast, sinning with an angel. 

She wasn't an angel though, not anymore. She'd let someone take their filthy hands and smear them all over, they'd dirtied her and touched her in ways I could only dream, in ways I knew she'd never allow me. Perhaps that's what got to me, that I knew my deep feelings were not reciprocated, that I was cursed to live my life knowing full well I would never be loved. They'd plucked her wings, torn them free from her shoulders as soon as they made that child together, she'd lost her halo when she offered her body. How gross, how sick. I cringe at the idea of Sia speaking to the man, teasing him and getting him riled up for their big finale. What a fucking joke (Stop, stop it hurts. Please stop). 

What hits me hardest is her defensive position, her stance over her son like she was protecting the vulnerable child from a pack of wolves. She didn't trust me, (mommy, why? Why do you do this mommy? Have I been bad?) she didn't trust me and maybe she was right not to. I was unstable, a bomb waiting to blow and when I did she was ready to defend that child of hers. I wouldn't hurt him, not in this state, when I'm still me, in control of my own actions. I felt the stinging of tears as she kept herself between me and the boy, a barrier to keep the peasants from the royalty, the young prince himself from the mongrel that begged on the street. What a thought, what a weird place Sia must be in to think that I would ever hurt something of her flesh and blood. 

Sia thinks that she has the permission, the audacity to offer to become my mother, to raise me like a helpless child. I laugh, I full on laugh a forceful, disgusting laugh that burns my throat and makes me choke on blood, letting it fly from my lips like poison. How petty, her blows are low and her aim is true. It hurts, it does. I can feel my heart plummeting, cracking and shattering like precious glass work at each verbal strike she takes. My response is hesitant, I can feel the overwhelming fatigue of my travels (or perhaps it was another black out approaching?) washing over me, but that does not stop me from spitting acid in the same manner she had. "You think, you fucking think I want to be treated like a child, do you know how sick that is? How insensitive it is to say that you want to teach me not to be selfish and to be kind? I'm sorry, Ms. Perfect, that I didn't have a fucking mother or father to teach me right from wrong. I'm sorry I was raised by what must be fucking savages to you, I didn't get the privilege of parental love or a family. So fucking sorry." I'm mad, seething with white hot rage that makes my blood boil and heart throb. I was sick and tired of being looked down on, of people looking at me with pity because of my parentless childhood. I spit blood and saliva at Sia's hooves, ears flat and my mind blank as I act before I think. I stopped caring about what I did, I'd already royally screwed myself over, might as well go all in if that's what she wanted.

I never had the luxury of being loved, never had the privilege to be comforted by the safety of a mother's embrace or a father's gentle words, never supported in any of my decisions or scolded for any of the wrong ones. I was just let loose, forced to eat solids before my legs had even adjusted to carrying my fragile body, to depend on strangers for protection and the ocean for conversation. I had a quick childhood that ended abruptly, swallowed by my sudden inability to carry myself without fear of the shadows that loomed around me, of the beasts that wandered in the night (That's illogical brother, monsters are fables, stories to make children behave.) I had a lot of alone time, where I could reflect and realize that I was a curse, bringing disaster, a being of calamity. I was a plague of death and destruction, witnessing bloodshed from very early on, when the world should have been bright and innocent I saw only the void of souls that screamed back, bones and bodies that would surface the marsh. 

I'm enraged, grinding my teeth together and shedding tears because I am weak. The Skinwalker waltzes by Sia, smirking and plotting It's next move, It's next intricate lie that would entangle me in It's trap and make me play right into their hands. I was scared, so scared that after this Sia would never look at me again, that we wasted our breath with the earth god (sometimes I forgot about that), that our friendship meant nothing, ruined by my selfishness. I knew I was irrationally selfish, that my jealousy was to be my downfall, that my insecurities convinced me that that stallion was better than me in every way. Sia would go back to him, she would love him and they would be happy and I'd have to grit my teeth and smile with false happiness for her success. My failure would be rubbed right into my face, it would be smashed into it and rubbed around each time I looked at Sia.

She was everything I was not, beautiful, her body curvy and vibrant, coat glistening. She could smile, she could live and be happy and talk normally to others without faultering. Sia was tall and elegant, possessing a luscious figure and untangled tresses. She seemed to take pride in her hygiene, clean and fresh and more than I would ever be. She had no reason to hang out with something as pitiful as me, she didn't have to associate with something as foul as I, she could easily walk away. I was a polar opposite to her, secluded and undevout to any herd or god, I was an feable, poor sight. Looking at me was like staring down at trash, at a pile of dog shit. I was unpleasant, my stench was rotten and repulsive, and my dull coat and distant eyes made me all the more unwelcoming. 

I snap, like a spine under pressure it is quick and loud, instantaneous as her words are dropped. I dissociate, peeling out of my skin to wander as an other worldly being of light and space, with cosmic eyes and translucent skin. My expression falls blank, the tears stopping abruptly, drying on my cheeks. The blood that fled my mouth has Lon since dried on my chin, accenting my already blood smeared coat. This was Sia's fatal mistake, she had thrown gas on the fire and now I was burning up. What I said now was monotone, calm and collected words strung up with poison as they flow from my mouth. "Please, don't let me stop you. Name the kid, Sikeax. Give the bastard child a name. I'm intrigued to see what you've come up with. And please, save your sympathy pleas for someone else, someone who actually cares about these things. So what if you need to put off this little show of affection? At least you can give it to him, at least he'll have you to love him for the rest of his life. He could've ended up like me, and you obviously don't want that because I'm selfish. Isn't that right?" My detachment from the situation, from myself, it's the best thing I've ever had happen. It's something I experience every so often, where I finally feel everything click into place and my emotions slip into the night, it's like a plague that grants freedom from my heavy burden. It can last from hours to weeks, my lack of emotion a god send during my most stressful hours, when a black out threatens to take me on a journey I do not consent to.

I scoff at her words, a final deal to her petty mockery. Was she trying to make me mad? Did she want to see me, in this uncaring state, hit a whole new low in this mindset? She was feeding the fire with her hatred, walking on mighty thin ice as I responded to her, hitting low because if she wanted to be fighting dirty, I'd do just that. My verbal punches were thrown carelessly but with violent force, prepared to obliterate any obstacles in my way. "Are you proud of the dick you took? Are you proud of yourself for getting a stallion to even look at you? Or what, did you have to bribe him? Drug him? Beg him to take you?" I keep a stone cold expression throughout the entire thing, eyes flicking up and down Sia's face with a carelessness and disinterest I'd never had when looking at her. Normally I would feel warmth, raw happiness, but now it was just... Disgust? Disinterest? Hatred? Perhaps a mix, a bubbling stew of all three that took over me and used me like a puppet to fuck my relationship up even more. I don't think there was any salvaging it now, is messed up big time and my punishment was eternal lonliness, a lifetime spent alone with only the whispering shadows to keep me company.

Sikeax,
The weathering of words cannot change her stone features, fixed and made permanent by the long hours of time that drag on and encourage her to do all of this. Her son is her’s to love, her’s to raise and ensure that he is well and grown nicely, given a better start in life that is far from the one that she experienced in her younger days. No child needs to live a life that way.
But it is Amara who seems to believe that she was damned to her life when there was the ability to change the current state, but only if there was effort put in with all the intentions to reach the end goal.
When the spit splatters across her hooves, she doesn’t move, doesn’t cast her eyes further down to the ground to stare at its mess across her cracked and chipped hooves. They hang with a firm grip to Amara’s disgusted state, watching her body sour before her very eyes.
Just like in the past.
A snort flutters from her, as if Amara truly had lived such a hard life out of luck. There was no luck involved. Amara had simply made the choice to live in such filth and never change her ways.
“We both started out in the same place. As outcasts. Maybe our births were different. My mother gave me into this world while we waited prisoner to a herd that cared not a single thing about us other than making sure we stayed out of the open and within their hold. You say you had no family, but here I am, always trying to be there for you. If you had said something to me as children, then I would of taken you home to my mother. You talk to me like I was born into this herd, that I was born into the rank that I worked and devoted myself to for almost two years to gain,  but you were there with me when the night wouldn’t end and were there with me when I choose to join.” Her child cries out for her from beneath her guard, begging for attention, for his mother’s eyes as he tries to show her his attempts at standing, at being closer to her when she has offered him what love there was to give before Amara arrived. The stare is severed with his blade as Sikeax steps aside, turning her face to him.
A warm nicker follows the placement of her muzzle against his frail barrel, pressing gently with enough force to give him some sort of support as his legs work to unfold from below. While he cannot fully understand any of the noises she makes to him, but there is acceptance, simply because it is her, because instinct tells him that all she's supposed to ever do to him is help him survive and get a start in this world. “You can do it. Come on.” Amara’s presence seems forgotten as she tends to him. With everything to him, there is nothing to remind her to the world.
He wobbles as she watches him, holding her muzzle into place until she is sure enough that he has gotten it down, gluing herself to him as his first steps towards her side are performed and he has reached the teat that cures the pain and suffering that hunger forces upon him.
“I think you want to be treated like a child because you’re acting like one. Look. Look for once with your gold eyes and see if you remember all the things that there were held out to you in hopes you’d take it, that you would see the better side of life and want to work towards it. My family band is all dead, and while I miss them, the love and family of this herd, the same one that time and time again, Amara, I have offered you sanctuary in. Offered you love other than what I could give you when you let me, offered you healing, that remember, you pushed me away as I tried to heal you like you had made the conscious choice to be in the state you’re in. I tried to give you a place to sleep where it was safe, people who wanted to make sure you were okay and would give you companionship and love and a meaning in life so that you might feel important. And what do you do?”
Silence hangs in the air like a bad odor as she allows the other mare time to think about what she’s just said. All the times at the beach, the time during the night that she had made the choice to go the Throat and stand trial before Kri like she had been the cause of suffering when she was all but guilty, even the marsh. Time and time again, there was always an offer to give Amara something better, given out of love and fear.
“Oh, Amara,” Sarcasm weaves itself into the tone of her voice like she means to be dramatic and sad, on the verge of tears when she is all but ready to scream and tear Amara down out of frustration from how fucking pitiful her existence was, how it was all at her fault. “You called yourself a monster when each time, and every time I stood there with reasons for you to still be accepted and welcome, and reasons why I didn’t see you that way.” Zhu pulls his attention away from his mother’s side now and places it in Hobgoblin. Yellow eyes stare with intense curiosity as the child returns the gesture, wondering what he was exactly.
“But now, I think maybe you should go look into a lake. There’s a nice one over there.” With her horn, she swings her head into the general direction of the oasis. “You’ve chosen to become a monster. You deny everything that could help you get away from it. Hobgoblin has told me a thousand times that that’s what you are, but I always hoped you’d see that I wanted was what was best for you and wanted to help all along. Now, I see you want to be what you are.”
The feeling of curiosity grows in strength, remaining vigilant over her son and the serval, following the thrashing of the cat’s tail as Zhu investigates more, finally gathering up enough bravery to touch the Rougarou.
A quick flash of a smile, brought on by amusement, slips across her features as she watches her brother shift, chirping out of humor as the colt jumps.
Amara comes back into her field of attention as Hobgoblin leaps onto her back, talons clutching the untouched skin. Soon enough, he’ll paint her in new scars. The ones about the top of her neck where he typically hung to her mane are exposed with the lack of hair, and choose to linger about the large pink spot and its smaller companions like worried onlookers.
Her features have softened. Zhu’s ears brush against the underside of her barrel as he wobbles beneath her, looking out to the winged mare, wondering where exactly his wings are hiding. Tears are clotting the ores of gold.
They’ll wash away the blood and do her more good than I could.
“Monster not worth any help.”

Agreeing with him would break her heart. She expects him to become impatient and agitated that she chooses to do so, but instead finds herself relieved when he preoccupies himself with her babe once more.
“I don’t want my son selfish, nor do I want him to be like myself and have himself destroyed. I’d rather him know the times when to be and when not to so that he can protect himself.”
It strikes her that she still has no name for him, that there was no time to think anything out for him.
Do you have anything? “No.”
It’s not something to rush, is it? Every mother has a name for their child, don’t they?
“Name him Ew.”

Disgust, matched with confusion, burns itself across her face, but quickly finds the source of Hobgoblin’s ‘beautiful’ name suggestion. He’s given out a sneeze, his body’s work at trying to remove the last of any fluids from his passageways.
Hard eyes go to meet Amara, to stare her dead in the eyes when she has to look down upon her so-called friend when she’d much rather stand at equal height with her. “Fine then. I’ll name him Zhu. Is that pleasing?”
It’s not like Amara’s opinion of her son, now titled Zhu, made any difference to how she felt about it. Hobgoblin’s confused “Zhu? Zhoooooo????” rings out in her mind and makes sure to drag itself out as far as possible.
At last, her brother makes the typical choice, something she’s been waiting for to occur. He ignites a spark from his jaws and growls, snapping his bladed teeth outwards, directed towards Amara’s remarks.
On the inside, she breaks. Zhu didn’t have to occur. She didn’t have to give herself up as she did, but out of guilt from what happened to her brother, to how she wasn’t there fast enough to save him from the pain that she would of willing experienced herself, even tenfold, just to ensure that he was alright, she had tried to make up for all the suffering that she had brought him.
He’s just a baby.
“Do you always act so perfect? Is that what you’ve become? Are you too perfect for everything I’ve offered to you, that you choose to strike me down because a son I didn’t intend to bring into this world is now here, and that I’m more than prepared to suffer consequences that came with my choice? Do you really wish to know?” There’s a sob hung up in her throat that she cannot seem to swallow down, but her baby is here with her, looking up to her with innocent eyes, searching for something. If she’d known how badly handicapped his ears were, she would of been thankful at that time, but in his youth, she expects him to forget within a few hours time what she has says.
But she will not cry before him. No more matter how tight the lump in her thought is becoming, tightening when she drags out the sigh that always seems to come along when people are living at the brink of tears but using all of their might and willpower to avoid falling into the depths of tears.
“Goblin and I got burned. Maybe it was my fault, maybe it was his. Then again, it might of been no one's. But it happened without warning and without reason. That’s why I have no mane, why there’s a scar on my neck and why his wings are deformed and the fur on his front legs gone. And when I couldn’t find a way to feed him, or have him let me heal him, someone offered us a deal. So I fed Hobgoblin, accepted that I was pregnant when it became noticeable, and made the choice to take care of Zhu.” The next breath is long and shallow, drug out far as she tries to regain herself. “Or would you like me to lie to you, just so you can be happy?”

OOC: Oh sweet jesus this is long
Goblin is a serval at the start and turns into a Wyvern when the change is mentioned.

talk
credits

Amara
I am a feeble attempt of happiness, a desperate hand shoved into the swirling tides that make up love, something of an affair that bloomed into commitment, a tragedy that had only just begun. I am the creation of naivety and youth, of eagerness and hormones, an impatient seed to unready earth, planted out of season and left unattended. I am produced by amateurs, by inexperienced gardeners who pat the soil with rocks and unclean hands, who pour too much water and plant the seeds too close, who cannot tell between good soil and plain shit. I was born incomplete, sprouted into this world when I was barely ready, far too close to the surface, for when I rose I brought ruin to the soil. 

My life is nothing, it will always be nothing, not to me, perhaps to no one. I will wander this earth, nomadic and forgotten, solemnly dreaming of days where my name would reach the borders of someones mind, anyone's mind. I wanted to be remembered for something, anything, I didn't want my face to fade, to become a distant memory that you cannot discern from a dream. I wanted what I could never have, what I did not deserve. I wanted happiness, warm, quiet nights spent beside someone who held tightly to my heart as though it may reveal the secrets of life to them. I wanted genuine smiles, unintentional laughs that sprouted from simply seeing the one that I loved, of pain in my gut from laughing all too much. I was an idiot, pushing away everything that was given to me that could lead to those dreams, that opened the gates to a better life all because I listened to the deepest hollows of my troubled mind. 

It hurts, it hurts to do this, to lose myself in my emotions like a balloon to the wind, wanting to cry because I'd let myself go when I should have had a tighter grip. I had intentionally hurt someone I'd cared so much for, whose acceptance and love I sought out like a blind child seeks its mother, hands out and eyes shut tight because I am too much of a coward to face the world and its demons. I'd done this all to myself, running from everything that moved because I'd been beaten by my demons over and over, I'd watched them wash over me like waves of a storm, letting them shake me around and beat me down until I was rooted firmly to the belief that I was worse than the shit beneath my feet. 

Sikeax talks again, a reaction to my words that I expected. She was blunt, harsh, and I accepted her words. My eyes cannot meet hers, cannot hold the embrace of cerulean while the haunting pressure of her words brings me down, smashing my walls and breaking down my barriers with but a few syllables. She shows strength, potential to bring me into further ruin as I stand before her, waiting for her to say more, waiting like a pig to slaughter. I anticipated more than that, I expected harsher words that would blow me into oblivion with the force and emotion pushing her points, her articulate attacks hitting my weakest areas. I don't speak, keeping my mouth shut (can't talk unless mommy says so, mommy might get mad). 

I took this time to watch the interaction between mother and child, to stare blankly at the foreign bond that was formed the instant the child spilled from between its dams legs. How could one love something that had brought them suffering. who made them bloated and sick and weary, who could not control its cries nor its bladder. I watch with timid fascination, feeling otherworldly in the way Sikeax interacted with her son, nurturing and softer than down, calling to him like he would flee if she was all too loud or firm, speaking in a gentle voice that sounded so foreign to me (I miss my baby, please bring him back to me. Bring him back, I need my son, I need to know he's alright). 

"Amara, listen to Sameira." I reach out for the familiarity of my bond, only now realizing that I missed the feeling of you at my side, a subtle reminder that perhaps I wasn't as hopelessly alone as I'd like to believe. "You are being fool, listen to Sikeax. She cares for you, Amara. She has given you many opportunity to be happy, to find help. You are being selfish, Sikeax is right. Sameira thinks that you need to tell her you are very sorry, you should not have said those things. Bad things. Bad Amara. You take it all for granted, you think you can stop getting hurt and stop hurting others by shutting it all out. Stupid. It is natural to get hurt, you should be expecting pain. It is in- inevitable. A part of life, what makes Amara, Amara. You have made Sikeax upset, and even though Sameira do not know what bond there is between mother and baby, Sameira know it is important. Because you did not receive this comfort does not mean baby of Sikeax should not. Sameira is hurt too, Amara. And Sikeax. We are hurt, and it is because you cannot accept help when it is given, because you have a distorted image of yourself. Do not bottle emotions up, cry Mara, cry because you are strong, not because you are weak." 

I can feel it, the threat of brewing tears that have been building up since this began, of your pain stacking atop mine, of our endless cycle of hurt (I won't get hurt, I know because there is no one to hurt me). I realize Sikeax has started talking again, has started recollecting on times she has offered me shelter, offered me healing (How again did we get hurt brother, do you recall? I do not, but I know it hurts. It smells most awful.) and love, she offered all that I needed, that I wanted and I turned her down. I was pitying myself, moping like a brat whose parents had confiscated their toys because they had misbehaved, with a pouty lip and false sense of innocence. Maybe I was selfish and stupid because I could not accept that anyone could love something like me, turning a blind eye to everything people offered with calloused hands and sore joints from their labours. I cast away their offerings because I was too stupid to see that I was doing this all to myself, that I was the one who had broken me, the one who had hurt me, my endless torment of avoiding getting hurt by others was futile because in the end it was me hurting myself. 

I never wanted to accept any of Sikeax's offers for shelter under the watch of this humble herd, the one who had rein over the wavering dunes and whose tales of strength were plenty, who braved the harsh summers and bitterly dry winters in favour of staying on this isolated island where their safety was ensured. I was a danger, a feral animal caught in a trap, with sharpened fangs and foaming mouth, whose claws were sharp and eyes were cold, my unexpected blackouts could lead to certain despair. I didn't want to put innocent lives at risk, not when they trusted me and fed me, kept me protected from the outside forces, when I was already a burden to them. 

I had brushed over the subject of Sikeax offering to heal me, to mend my flesh with the magic she had earned through hard work and devotion. I have no recollection of being given such treatment, of Sikeax attempting to heal me and rid me of the pain I suffered (That son of a bitch, I'll get payback on that sick bastard), of the infection that I so hastily forgot about amidst nightmares and anxiety, letting it spread like a plague in a crowd, it became a problem that I still pushed aside so that I could roll in self pity and loathing, so that I could cry and scream out at the shadows. 

"Talk to her, Amara. She waiting for you." I open my lips, feeling my expression fall into distress while I grasp at nothing but empty air, my mind a clean slate at the most inconvenient of times. "I- I can't do it Sia." The nickname surfaces, my shoulders slouching as a sign of surrender, my defeat apparent in the way I let my entire being drop, slumping over like waving the white flag was the more exhausting thing I'd ever managed to do. "I can't do anything right, I'm so stupid. I'm so so stupid. I just— I can't understand why anyone would want to help me, why anyone would consciously offer more than a smile because they pity me, not because they care." Whatever I was saying, I wasn't thinking about it. I was letting the words go, rushing from my lips in a controlled, painstakingly quiet manner. I was uncertain and afraid as a deer crossing the road, unsure of was would become of me. Whether there was a car speeding around the bend, on the path to ending me, or if my trip was to be a safe one with no obstacles to overcome. Maybe I wanted to get hit, maybe I wanted to get crushed under the man made rubber tires, to feel the last of my life slip from my lips as easily as words could. "Maybe I have been asking for this, for this pain because I think I'm deserving of it, of getting torn apart at my own hand. I'm trying to be considerate, to distance myself so I can't hurt anyone anymore because dammit, Sia! I'm sick and tired of waking up with someone else's blood on my hands, of fearing what I've done since I blanked out. I don't know who I am anymore, what I am anymore. I could have hurt you, Sia, I could still, and I would wake up and never know until I saw you again. This is why I can't live in the Throat, I can't do it because everyone will be at risk because of me. I don't want to hurt people anymore Sia, I don't want to," I felt the tears as soon as I started talking about unintentionally hurting others, of bringing my hooves and teeth into flesh without being aware of it, of blacking out and opening my eyes hours later with the fear of what I'd done this time at the forefront of my mind. I couldn't continue like this, but I couldn't stop it just like that either, this was an irreversible problem, something that had rooted itself to me the moment I'd made the wish to get away. I'd ruined myself on a deeply subconscious level, where my mind sought solace from itself.   

It would be a sad sight to look at, my tears coming down with ruthless ferocity as I bite my lip in an attempt to stop it from trembling, with my knees wobbling and weak as the weight of my actions hits my shoulders like an elephant falling to my back. I am gasping, heart racing like its got somewhere to be, something to win, wild and untamed in the way it threatens to tear form my chest (MAKE IT STOP MOMMY IT HURTS SO BADLY MAKE IT S T O P PLEASE MOMMY I JUST WANT TO DIE). I deserve to hear what Sia has to say, what her opinion of me is. Hobgoblin is the one who has given her the idea, who rooted the idea of my monstrosity of an existence into her crowned head. I swallow harshly, knowing now that there was nothing left for me, that this was it, I'd lost everything, every hope, dream or wish that I'd ever held. They were all crushed under the overwhelming truth of Sia's words. 

Why do I always mess up? Why do I always react the wrong way, say the wrong thing, break under the pressure I'd been crushing myself under. I was holding the knife, I was the one inflicting the pain, the one drawing blood from my own body, the one letting pink scars flower over my hide, making a prized garden of suffering. I felt all of my bare skin cry out for attention as I look at where my spit had landed, felt it all scream because I'd always been the one wielding the weapon, always the one causing the damage to my feeble chestnut body. Why couldn't I stop? What did I see in my cries, in my tears, that was so appealing to feel, to experience the great ecstasy of uncontrollable pain with a smile. Was I so fucked up as to think I was every bit deserving of my deepest wounds, psychological and physical, of every wound that I had ever suffered. "No." Is how you answer, firm in your beliefs, I could feel the way you began to get annoyed by me, that you were getting sick of my self pitying behaviour. "No one deserves to get hurt. But get hurt anyway, you cannot avoid it. Please stop, Sameira hurts too."  Thank you, but it's not that easy. I cannot change how I had lived for years upon a whim  because you want me too, it will take time, it will take will power and I will need help. Learning that I am okay will not be an easy thing, I will be braving a hurricane in a boat fit for calm afternoons in small rivers, I will be pushing tons of rubble from my body with but my bare hands, and Samiera, you will have to stand aside and simply provide moral support, you will have to push me when I no longer want to move, when I am bleeding and my eyes are runny, I entrust you to guide me back into line whether it be through persuasion or force. 

Sia will be a good mother, I know she will. It's apparent in the way she talks of how she will teach her son, how she carefully moves about him, tentative to his needs and patient with him. Her protective stance shows she is willing, that she will protect the boy even if he is a bastard child, even if he was created in a womb unwilling. I know she will raise him well, that she will be the best mother anyone could ever ask for, that this child is lucky to have such a kind, caring and emotional dam to keep him safe. She is a fierce mother, although new to the ways, she will learn quickly, I have no doubt, she will learn and grow beside her son. Together they will love one another, that this boy will have a better childhood than either of us did, and I wanted him to have it, to know what it's like to run without a care in the world and discover the world one piece at a time. 

Zhu, that is what Sia has named him. It was fitting, it clung to the boy like rain to fur, it was written all over his pure dark body, the name was perfect for him. It rolled well enough off of the tongue, from what I could hear between my persistent muffled sobs (I'm trying to be quiet, mommy can't hear that I'm weak). I smile, small and out of the blue, it springs out like the first budding flower of the spring, subtle at first, then all at once. "What a fitting name," I offer with my tears still present, knowing this will do nothing to mend what destruction I'd brought between us, it was like me sticking a band-aid on an exposed organ, saying, "all better now." It was far from that, the uneasy tension between us still looming over me like some sort of monster, breathing down my neck and panting as I flinched away from it, as if avoiding acknowledging it would make it go away, would make everything better. 

I look down at the ground, swallowing at the uneasy feeling that sweeps over me, avoiding looking at her for fear that I will do something irrationally stupid again. I know I will, I can feel it in my bones that I am destined to say something again, that I will break our relationship further and further until there's nothing left but tattered threads. "I am not perfect—" I whisper, trying to gather up the bits and pieces I had let scatter, pushing my urges to weep off to the side, where they would no longer be a problem for at least a few minutes. I needed to do something, to say something that could waver Sikeax's tainted opinion on me, on the things I have done and her expectations of my failure. "I'm no better than the shit under our hooves, than the murderers in the night. I am disgustingly flawed, I will never reach perfection, I will never even be able to look at it." I stared down, eyes settling upon my blood and spit, my tears having settled down but still there, falling with a more subtle nature. 

She tells why she had done it, how she had turned to someone for help when her and Goblin were suffering, when their pain was so great that they had to depend on a sex hungry savage to feed them. I eye the wounds, healing slowly but surely, but present and concerning in the manner they have been placed, who had dared to hurt her? My stomach flips, and the familiar feeling of burning rage, of an uncontrollable lust for blood, of something that wished for me to bring an end to whoever manipulated Sia the way they had, who had used her when she was hurt. I grind my teeth together, brows narrowing as I feel your supportive push, knowing what I intended to say even before I did. "A- are you okay?" I murmur, looking up after ages of avoiding it, of running from her callous gaze. I wouldn't hide my concern, my worry for her safety, damning myself for not being there when she had needed help. I could have been there for her, I could have gotten Hobgoblin food, and Sia could have avoided this entire thing. "He.. he wasn't rough was he? He didn't hurt you?" I can hear the prominent tremble of my voice, the unsteadiness in the way I walk forward by just an inch. "I should have been there, I shouldn't have been off somewhere feeling sorry for myself, I should have been there to help you." I felt guilty, guilty and stupid for not being here for Sia. All this time, all this time, she has been here for me, and yet I have offered nothing in return for her. No wonder she believes I am selfish, I have taken her love and in return given mine, but within the confines of my mind, never letting such confessions slip from my lips, like if I let them go they'll come back to bite me. "I'm so sorry, I am so sorry—" The words are stumbling out, drunk on my passion and unrequited love, letting my emotions and heart speak what I never had the courage to. "Sia I am so sorry, I— you've done so much for me, and look at me. What have I given you? What have I done that makes me worthy of your kindness, of our friendship, of you? As you said, all I've done is push you away, push and push but you still try. I want to change it, I- I want to try and do something for you," It was understandable, if she didn't want me, if she wanted me to leave, if she couldn't bear to look at me anymore. I was disgusting, I was pitiful, for how could you look at shit and think, "I want help from that." I anticipated her answer, holding down my panic until she gave one, heart pounding like an angry neighbour come to complain about the volume of your music, bashing upon the door with a desperate need to get your attention. It thrummed faster and faster, my knees as weak as Zhu's likely were, gelatinous and unsteady as I stood before Sia, now letting my eyes fall once more because I cannot bring myself to meet her eyes when she says no, to look through cobalt lenses and see the world as she does, to see the way she suffers and all that her eyes give away. I will avoid the collision of watery amber and clear blue, of the new mother and newly broken, of the successful and the childish, of friends whose friendship was in tatters because of ones foolish faults.  

@Sikeax rip bc this post long af and confusing ahha

Sikeax,
Ice has now begun the long process of shielding her heart again. Its touch is brought on by the fact that she is becoming scared to trust all over again, rooted back into the same place.
Amara.
Amara had attempted to kill her. Amara had threatened her blood to cover all of her hands, dripping from her jaws like foam upon the rabid wolf’s mouth as he causes and kills his own kind, working without mercy when his brain is liquefied and concocted into a brew that tastes of hate and smells of unbridled rage. A brew that Hobgoblin had once burst his very life from, but time had a great way of changing things. Amara’s rotting body, a corpse with all the attributes of a living being, had been made all over again, once more without intention.
And this time, Sikeax couldn’t hold herself accountable for all of it. Amara had chosen all of this, or had at least done nothing to work with it, to heal herself.
Through guilt, she does find a way to believe that it is her fault. Too faint of heart, too easy to believe that all the vices of the world begin with her. All of this built from one small sentence, meaningless to others but a thousand pounds placed atop her chest without thought as of it might affect her in the future.
"Look what you've done to me!"
Amara’s distorted and mangled body hangs in her eyes, replaying the movie where Amara's jaws look as if they'll become unhinged at any second, caught on repeat because the tape has been messed up by someone's careless and ignorant hands so that she is suffer to the most.
“All of this, all Monster’s fault. Monster brought this on herself.”
Hobgoblin force feeds her the truth with the same brutish manner that she’s learned to accept and love regardless of how he wields its blade against her. She’d done the same for Amara, once, in the past when she wasn’t ready to see her friend fall to pieces, but as the tears creeping from the golden lakes within the chestnut mare’s skull turn into waterfalls that work to whisk away the blood to show a blurred glimpse of someone who used to be there, one of the fingers that had laced itself about her heart with the intentions of icing it over like Frostfall does to the northern ocean, dives straight into the depths of wounds piled up and tears never shed.
Buried beneath all of those sources of pain and suffering, lies all the memories of those whom she’s caused agony to. Cera, who could easily take the gold medal as the softest and most loving creature she knew despite all of the things in this world, who faced death with courage she’d never be able to comprehend, just for her. How she had just treated Amar-
Words are whimpering from the other’s cracked and bleeding lips. Deep down, she can feel the need, the lust to strike out and destroy her once for all, so that Amara will finally pay for her sins against the world. The list grows longer and the voice that reads off each and every one of them is Hobgoblin, the tied part of her soul that shows her what she could of been, what she could be if she let herself go and face the world with a stone face and ice heart.
The finger dives deeper and hits a vein.
Hatred subsides, but her brother makes the sane choice to sip from the cauldron and down the entire thing. A barbed tail swings with such violence that Sikeax winces as the blade point strikes her frail skin. Lips curl and release across teeth made of scalpels, snapping back and forth as if invisible strings are tightening to hold them up to flash his teeth but cannot withstand the weight. He snarls like a dog, fueled by the pleasure in seeing the beast own up to all in its path of destruction and true purpose in life. And here to think he considered her weak, when aside from all of her useless humanities, the Monster had the capacity to view his ways without the drag of kindness.
He could think of what it could be like to be bonded to it, but his throne would have to be fought for. Sikeax was easily to force into submission, but the fire in her heart now was strong enough to let her take a seat just once, to let her see what it’s like to rule before throwing her back into the peasantry as a slave to his existence.
Sikeax is too far caught up in conversation and listening with respect to pay attention to his thoughts.
“Let Monster join. Monster need home so Monster will be better.”
Young, white eyes go without blinking as the smaller, winged horse cries. He doesn’t know how to get his mouth to work or how to get his thoughts made into words and out. His mother has all the answers and he has all the questions, yet with no way to voice them. Even while tears should frighten him away, encourage him to have some sort of sympathy like his mother would like, he can do nothing else than watch. The untitled life-giver is speaking slurs once more.
To himself, he wonders ‘Does everyone have to feel this way? Do I have to feel this way?’
A search proceeds with nothing at the end. Another empty tunnel with no prize inside except for the fact that the tears and disgusting, distorted noises make him want to avoid the winged horse. The sounds that spew out are making him sick.
“You’re not stupid.” Her voice is hot and muddy, trudging through her throat like she’ll never get out the words she’s not supposed to say because this is a fight, something where you intentionally hurt one another, but she lacks the abilities to do such a thing. She’d taken an oath to ensure that the mental and physical health of others was taken care of, that others would be okay regardless of how she felt about them. Healers do not let others suffer due to their own selfish emotions.
“Does everyone else need to come before you? Do you not care for yourself? Do you see yourself a piece of shit that someone steps in along their path, makes a disgusted face about, and attempts to carry on even though they’re raging instead from their sudden misfortune? You make yourself look at that way, and if you keep that up, you’ll never get better.”
“That how you see yourself.”
The warlord works to remove her from the the throne beginning now. Mental torture was all that he could offer in his size but it was something he had learned to do particularly well, specializing in ransacking Sikeax with no mercy until she let him have control.
Best of all? She’d never own up to out of fear of what would come.
Shut up.
“Have you cared to ask Sameira what occurs during those times? Have you not tried to even help yourself? Living here gives the ability to have people watch over you as those things occur so that we know how to treat them. Living within the Throat would offer you a better chance at life, at healing, at having family and people who care about you. You’re blind when you think that others don’t care for you when they do, you just choose to make yourself believe they wouldn’t touch you.” Disgust flares over her features once more. “But maybe that’s what you deserve. People get tired of trying to help when all their efforts are slammed into their face like shit picked up off the ground, smeared while the other says there’s no hope for them. It makes them believe that you don’t want to helped.”
Zhu presses into her legs, rubbing one ear against her as the constant distortions push into him into suffering. If only he could voice his problem.
The comforting touch that runs along his spine marking is gifted to him from his mother’s velvet muzzle, whimpering in hopes she’ll understand that something is wrong.
While she comforts her child, she is given the chance to see that Amara’s wounds are far enough down her legs to be self-inflicted. The Gods might of even granted her a gift with this.
If Amara could be coaxed into the Dragon’s Throat, then she could have a warrior stay with her long enough to see what went on when she wasn’t around. “Do you ever care to even use logic and think that the blood upon your weapons is your own?”
What a stupid idea with false hopes.
Annoyance chooses to aid in her snorting, pushing hot air into Amara when eye contact isn’t met. Respect is demanded, expected at all times during this because she expects the feeling to being equal. Hobgoblin urges her onward. “Look me in the eyes. If you want respect, you need to figure out how to mix it together with your emotions. You’re only encouraging others to walk all over you.” She shouldn’t have to be treating her this way, but it only furthers the idea that Amara is nothing more than a child in her eyes.
“If you want out of your situation, you have to grow up and work your way out of it with help.”
A low purr of pleasure drums inside her brother’s chest.
“Perfection is not real, but you can change your perception of yourself through effort and reach it, and make yourself perfect in your own eyes once you’re happy with who you are.”
Gold meets sapphire, interlocking into a stare that tempts her to smile, but locks the feeling beneath her cold eyes. They melt only faintly, enough that she feels she can accept the conversation of this.
The feeling of discomfort grows with each passing word. Hobgoblin’s curiosity rises in the back of her head and she can feel the unspoken need to question what she had done, but in a desperate state, she hopes she doesn’t have to fall into begging. The act itself was embarrassing enough, and the guilt that Amara wasted no time in strangling her with was simply too much.
“Amara, no. A short “hmm???” floats through her brain like an airplane crosses unflown skies. It even brings another jump from Zhu, acting as if he’ll burst from his skin when her voice is unusually harsh and loud, even for his ears. The whimpering and whining increases, now pushing himself into begging for something.
Try as she may to comfort him with all of her hope and love, it can’t fix his ears.
“This isn’t something I wish to talk about.”
Amara’s temptations make her stomach roll, holding in the feelings that tell her to use her friend.
That would be selfish, wouldn’t it?
“Monster need to be used. Monster is weak. Monster is below you, below us.”

A sigh gets the lumps out of her throat at last, grabbing them with burning fingers made of molten steel and tearing them out when their place there was maybe supposed to be welcome, but instead had been greeted with embarrassment and suffering.
“I don’t take anything like that. That’s how I had Zhu. You choose what you want and I’ll accept it.”
“Should’ve taken advantage.”
Like the dark side she never intended to bare, he is there, encouraging into his world.

talk
credits

you were angels,

Amara
Harsh, choking sobs wrack my body, my weak state of mind opening the doors for so much more than just my own troubling thoughts, a grand party for all the terrors to come waltzing in with their hunched backs and taloned hands. They all come pouring in from Their lips, grin spread wide, a blanket over the sun, casting down a tremendous shadow that threatened to consume me with pointed teeth and a flickering pink tongue. I would not escape Their grasp, not when I am so faint-hearted, not when I am still a moldable figure to be crushed and folded over by their rough hands, shaped into something I do not want to be. A pity, I was beginning to like your more aggressive side, wouldn't you agree? It hums, throaty and peculiar, a familiar face snarky and taunting, They know well what they're doing and I easily submit to their will. 

What is the point of fighting, when the one person you'd been fighting for your entire life has looked down on you with such hate?

Why push on when you have no where else to go, nothing more to do, when you have wasted what short time you were granted on this earth? Why let yourself go on when your hope had already been torn from you years ago?

It seems to keep coming back, the idea that I am no longer needed here, that Sikeax has cast me from her gaze and I will forever wander like a dismayed spirit, drifting without purpose and fading with each pained breath I take. I crave her attention more than I do anyone else's, it was always about her. Her approval, her acceptance, it was never about me. I'd be damned if I said now that I did not care about her, it would be like saying I did not breathe, that I did not have a heart that beat beneath layers of tissue and bone. I cared for her more than I did myself, and letting her go was like being asked to sever my legs and leave them behind to live on their own accord, to abandon them and forget that they ever existed. Even the idea brings a bitter taste to my mouth, because I could not let Sikeax go, even if she wanted to remove me from her life completely. I would suffer in silence, the quiet kind where you seem to tolerate the stinging that takes over your entire body until finally you become numb, I would watch unfazed at a distance as she found others to replace me, others who weren't troubled in the head or so needy, who would not switch from sweet to foul in a matter of a few grotesque sobs. 

I wanted to believe what she said, that I wasn't stupid, that I was at least average, but no matter what I could not drop the feeling that she was lying. That's right, a lie. She just wants to get back under your skin, don't you see it? Look her in the eyes, tell me she doesn't look like she wants to get rid of you. I'm still gasping, my heart rate growing rapid as Sikeax's face distorts, shimmering like sweat on active hide, rippling like calm summer waters, pulling apart until she was just bits and pieces, pale threads of expression that sent my gut into a frenzy of knotting. With a click of Their tongue it all shits, pulling back together like a dying star in reverse, the explosion rewinding and her face knitting back together, woven with seething hatred and pity. What I hate most is someone pitying me, like I'm some half dead animal they've found on the side of the road, whose body is broken but sides still rising as death takes its time to take it. I was not something to pity, not something to look at like a starved child in a third world country, I wasn't shit to scrape off the bottom of your boot. 

That's it, be angry, get mad. Hate, hate, hA— Sia's words cut into the Skinwalkers, my eyes directed from golden ice to sweetened atlantic pools, bluer than the sky and more lively than the flowers in spring, than the world regaining colour at the first sign of birdsong. She wasn't mad anymore, the faux hatred I'd seen had melted away like ice in the sun, dripping down her chin and disappearing beneath the red sands. "I— I just don't like people worrying for me, n— no one should worry about something like me, I'm not worth it. I don't know how not to look at myself that way Sia, that's all I've ever done, it's all I know how to do." Is all I have to say, swallowing what feels like rocks as I try to tame the insufferable pain of speaking all of this aloud. I had never said these things out loud, never more than a constant hushed whisper in the back of my mind. I'd learn to accept that all those harsh insults were for me, that all my pent up hatred for myself built up into an endless flow of soured syllables. I cannot see myself in any sort of light, whether it be because of my physique or personality, I would never loom over anything, instead at awe at the piles of shit that would tower and look over me. I was less than the dirt beneath me, than the scum crawling across the earth who had murdered the innocent and taken the pure, I was side by side with them perhaps, as we were one in the same. 

I know I'd done it, the act of killing. I'd done it unknowingly at birth, breaking through the barrier that separated me from reality with fatal force. I came out fragile and abrupt, all too soon for my mother who was still adjusting to the ways of pregnancy, amateur at carrying a new life within her bloated body. I ended her life without hesitance, ruthless at the age of none, a killer before I even had a name. Whether or not I remember it how it actually happened, I don't recall. I remember being aware of the brightness around me, of the smell of safety and too much home, of sick and uncertain while the sea rolled its way towards my mother like eager hounds, swallowing her body as though it was its last meal. She had no time to teach me the ropes of childhood, of life, of anything but sorrow, shoving it down my throat like a frustrated bird feeding its wailing chick. I was force fed remorse before I had even developed a sense of space, developing feelings that made me hurt before I was even standing, swallowed by anguish in my premature state. It wasn't the ideal birth for an underdeveloped child, and my father seemed unable to handle the idea of single parenthood, because he too let himself get torn apart by bittersweet misery, of tragic love that began all too soon. 

I was doomed to repeat my parents mistakes, to let novice love consume my everything, to let myself get lost in lighter ebony locks, in a sea of kind and gentle, familiarity. I craved that, craved intimacy shared between only the closest, with an amber champagne that had be entranced at such an early age, with her perfected speech and pretty eyes, I was at a loss for words. She seemed elegant, sophisticated in ways I could only ever dream of being, she was strong and independent, parading around boasting that she would fight monsters and proclaiming we would go on wild adventures together. That's what always caught me in the end, the idea of together. I didn't know how to go about it, how to handle the situation at hand, because every second I spend with her was like heaven on earth, where my worries could melt away and leave way for something so much more grand. A young angel in the eyes of an ugly duckling like me, an ivory swan beside something foul and black.  

Look at the way she's looking at you Amara, she's disgusted by you. You're selfish and sickening, she doesn't want you anymore. She's tired Amara, just as you are, but she's tired of you, of putting up with your pity party parade, she wants you to leave, can't you tell she doesn't need something like you around her or her son? My eyes linger on Sia's look of disgust, and then to Their twisted smirk because They know They've won, they know They've broken me to the point of no return, that salvation was no longer an option in the way the venom seeped from Their lips and tainted my thoughts. I was just more baggage to Sia, an extra weight to lug around like a boulder strapped to her shoulders, useless and painstaking. 

I stare at her, dumbfounded and without a response. I didn't need logic to know what I'd done to myself, I didn't need to think about it, I knew that I'd formed a habit of gnawing anxiously at my skin until it bruised and broke and bled, until my lips were stained red and my skin was marred. I bore mysterious wounds that were impossible to inflict to myself, places where no tooth of mine could take hold (Stop fighting me, it will only make things worse), bruises and swelling like hooves of another. I almost wanted to laugh at Sia's words, laugh between my hushed bawling because how do you tell your life long friend that you have broken yourself in more ways than she can ever imagine? How do you tell her that you've begun chewing away at your own hide to settle your worries, to keep yourself calm during times of great stress? I flinch at the strangled sound I make when I open my mouth, the words I needed not coming out when I'd wanted, instead there's just the sound of an escaped sob, a quiet wail. "Sia, it's me who does that, me. I know when it's not my blood, when my wounds aren't self inflicted. I'm hurting people Sia. I just want to stop but I don't know how." I break the sentence away, letting it fade and carry far from either of us, hoping the subject could simply drop there and we could go back to being careless and happy. 

I meet her demands, trembling and snotty like the child she sees me as, reduced to a muddled mix of emotion and flesh, a pooling figure of moping and self-pity, of recklessness and absolute dread. I was nothing more than a frayed shell harbouring every possible negative emotion and more, a tragic story in the form of a living thing that walks, talks and sobs enough to fill an ocean. I raise my head, hesitant and shaky as I gaze into harsh frozen blue, endless and cold like the steppe, looking down at me and sending fear down my spine. It was no gentle gaze, it would bring me to my knees if I hadn't already been frozen in place with terror of what more would spill from her lips. 

It isn't as terrible as I'd played it out to be, but there was still no warmth to be found in the way her words slide from her lips. My skin still crawls with the feelings of rejection, watery eyes flickering down and up, from dusty sand to stern cerulean oceans, swallowing the knot that kept me from doing more than gasping silently. "I- I don't know what that first step is, I don't know how. I don't know anything," Is what I manage before my voice escapes me and I'm left to move my lips in subtle frustration. I wanted to tell her I needed help, that I couldn't do this on my own, and I almost said it if I had not decided that it would be best to keep shut. I'm sure her response would only bring worsening pain rather than anything beneficial to me.  

I've lost it now, my sense of rationality as I feel my emotions burst through my everything, tearing down every single wall I'd built up in hopes that I could keep running from issues I never wanted to face, not on my own, not with anyone, not ever. I'm choking on the pent up feeling of desperation, of unrequited affections and love that went unspoken. It all spilled out like some raging river to wipe away a valley, abrupt and rumbling, calm before a terrifying wave of panic and all too real feelings. Everything I had ever denied, everything that I'd ever tucked away under the bed, in the closet, behind the shelf, it all came cascading down all at once in a flurry of too much, too much for someone who was so little, so weak. It crashed into me, a storm violent and relentless as it buries me deep within its depths, sputtering and coughing and choking on my own tears as I'm thrown like a rag doll, sobbing beyond control as my head fills with frantic pleas. "Amara, no. Do not say a thing to Sikeax. Now is not the time, you must wait more." But it's all too late, the words are spilling out faster than I can register and my heart falls from my teeth and falls to Sia's hooves and all I can do is look down at it and cry fretfully. 

"Sia I want to be here for you, I- I always feel so bad seeing you and then leaving, and it hurts to walk away. You could be hurt or in trouble and I'm just standing by miles away without even realizing you're in danger and I won't ever know about it unless you tell me and I justI can't stand being away from you. I've been wanting to get better, I really, really have so that I could find you and make you proud and be here to make you happy Sia I just want to be by your side and I've always wanted to... ever since we were kids, Sia." Pause for a half laugh, half sob. These things I'm saying are going faster than I can process, spitting my syllables like it's fire on my tongue, throat closing up by the time they all fall out. The comforting nickname falls from my lips like it's some new fascinating word I'd discovered and can't stop using, letting it end and begin so many sentences. I feel like I might get in trouble for using it, punished by her for saying it so much when we were on such strained terms. "Amara, what did you do? Why did you say those things?" I answer aloud, even though I knew I could tell Sameira mentally, it felt better to explain it to Sia too. "I'm just tired of keeping all of these feelings bottled up, I just—" I swallow hard, looking up into Sia's eyes and trying to keep my focus on them, almost losing myself to the chilling cobalt before I can even finish. "I- I want to have a home, a place to always come back to a—  and you, Sia."This is all I can offer as my emotions run wild, straining my already crumbling body while I whisper the last of my confession, eye lids sweeping over dulling amber. Exhaustion has crept into my joints, weaving through my muscles and pushing me ever closer to collapse, perhaps a long needed sleep. But maybe I would be unfortunate enough to wake up hours later somewhere else, swept away by whatever takes control when the world falls into a dark abyss. 

Sikeax,
This fight, in the end, is not worth it. Her chest feels heavy and her heart sinks far enough that in the deep of her chest, hanging on torn muscles and cradled by the last bit of fight, begins to grow heavy enough that it is now starting to tear apart the last shreds of it’s safety net. The more she realizes what she has done, the longer that tears creep down Amara’s cheekbones from golden ores, the more this becomes a reality.
The tables have turned.
What have I done?
“Cast Monster away. Monster no good. Monster broken. Monster useless.”
Just like me.

And like a slap to the face, Hobgoblin becomes subject to her emotions, haunted by the pain that drifts about the halls of his castle built of bones and surrounded by fires that burn with the misery of others and her’s, slipping in like a violent poltergeist that is always watching, waiting, looking for the time to strike. He is strong, for he builds himself up to be just that. To stand over everyone.
But Sikeax’s crumbling heart and wounding emotions are his only downfall. Her hand is held by his own, bleeding because his fingernails like to dig into it, trying to break bone so she’ll suffer and never rebel. But the hearts are strung together with the thinnest threads made of love and understanding, stitched with a needle with a dull point named Care.
Looking back to Amara with his red eyes, drowning in Sikeax’s ocean of internal tears that she forbids herself to cry, he sees now that he will almost forever hate Amara, the Monster, because in his eyes, that’s all she’ll ever amount to, forever worse than himself.
“Monster should die. You better than Monster. Monster give no good to You.”
Stone-faced, all she can do is listen and feel. Zhu’s small body keeps her tied to this world as he drags it's baby soft fur over her legs before pushing out a small huff that might be, with time, a snort. Long, delicate legs fold below her body in hopes of protection, now having been worn down by the thick suffering in the air and the ache harbored in his young ears. His goodnight from his mother’s sweet, loving touch is but a bump of her muzzle, releasing a low purring sound towards him.
There is Amara to take care. A situation that stands before her like a mountain never scaled, spewing fire and ash with the intentions to scare all away. But in the very last days, someone has to try in hopes of saving the world.
“I think you’re worth it.” A heavier heart and soft, whispering voice that is wet with cries she doesn’t want to let escape, held behind bars that she believes are best for them. It’ll keep them from wreaking havoc in this world. It’ll keep everyone safe.
“Know Monster not worth it.”
Was she really? Would it be better, for once in a lifetime, to let the sleeping dogs sleep until they take themselves on to the next world? Would Amara do better in the afterlife, a ghost that can find herself free from all the suffering she's had to endure in this damned world? She even smells of death, festering like the Grim Reaper chooses to become her very shadow. She’s never noticed it in the past, or maybe it was because she’s become accustomed to the smell, forgetting to think that it was there along with the wounds and the infections and everything in between that worked endlessly to take Amara from this realm. “I’ve always thought you were worth everything you could of had, or maybe had but didn’t know you had. Why can’t you? Why can’t you see that you’re important to me,”
“Monster nothing but PAIN. Monster nothing good. Monster walking corpse.
She wants to tell him that he is wrong, that there was a time that Amara was something worth loving, only needing devotion and love and hope in this cruel place, that given time, Amara could become something better than what she is.
“that you’re someone special and one of the last people in my heart that isn’t dead? Why won’t you give yourself a damn chance to let people, ones who genuinely care for your well being, try to help you see that you’re better than what you make yourself out to be?”
What’s truly sad is, that as she speaks all of this, Sikeax knows that the hand she wants to hold out is shaking, scared of being bitten and stabbed instead of held and cherished. The dog she is attempting to aid has a habit of biting misplaced fingers.
Staring eyes are now starting to  tear her apart. Those gold eyes have bloody fingernails sharpened into blades and they’re reaching out, looking for soft skin, soft, pretty skin that’s perfect for destroying, and what’s worse is is that she has no place to run, locked into place so that her babe is not abandoned.
“Look, Monster more stupid. Monster want you to hate Monster.”
Every single word spoken, whether it before Hobgoblin’s wounded chest wanting to gain control or from Amara’s bloodied lips(and who knows, with those words, the blood might not even be her own), it kills her even more. She feels the urge to yell at them to shut up, to scream at the top of her lungs that helping can’t be her job anymore, that she, for once, needs help in her life, That she, Sikeax, the fucking Sun Physician of the ever-holy Dragon’s Throat, can no longer fight these battles alone, that she, a medic, the head of all the medics in this burning hell, needs a medic to heal her wounds that leave ugly scar tissue on the other side of beauty, the one on the other side of her almost flawless champagne coat. The ones that are painted all across her heart, soul, and mind, now constant reminders of wars that she didn't want to take part in but went anyway, simply because of duty and loyalty and unspoken laws of society, all of which she choose to believe in and follow, blindfolded with every step.
She doesn’t want to face this. She doesn’t have the ability to heal Amara. It only hits her now, when finally, the begging for help is done by the one that she had always begged to let her help.
Am I really that weak?
“Monster is real monster. Monster want you to know. Monster kill. Monster might kill you.”
But would she really?

One last look, every word exploding against her eardrums and tearing them wide open but never destroying them, never giving her the chance to go deaf so that she won't have to listen to these words and any other words ever again.
Blue eyes give in, crumbling as they burst and bleed across her cheeks. Hobgoblin pricks up somewhere in the back of their mind, trying to pick up what this feeling exactly is. A sob chokes out after a long minute of strangling her.
“Amara…” A bitter taste rides that word now, becoming salty with the fruits of her tears and heartbreak. Inside her chest, her heart, now as if made of the frailest glass, drifts to the bottom of her chest once more and shatters. “I’m so sorry. I am. I’m so sorry. I- I…” A thick swallow of all the words that come up, rising at once and desperately trying to climb their ways out in any way they can possibly manage. “Amara…. I don’t know how to help. I don’t know how. No one has ever told me how, and I’m scared.”
Amara’s voice digs into her ears like a thousand shards of glass, picked up from the pit of her chest cavity and placed between fingers so that fingertips, hard and rough, can glaze over her dainty skin and quickly switch over to every bit of torture if needed. All of those words are there, waiting for a response, and she knows better than to leave such things unresponded. She doesn’t need to hurt Amara, she doesn’t need to make Amara suffer like she is.
“You’re welcome in the Dragon’s Throat.” “Monster hurt Dragon Throat.”
Please don’t let me think that will happen. I don’t want that to. I don’t want to see any of them hurt.
“Then Monster not allowed.”
She needs a home.

“You’ll always have me. And Sameira. Both of us.” Another sob. Another painful reason to hate the world, another reason not to care about everyone, but only if she could manage to do it. “I wouldn’t mind having you here, but if you’re worried about things, those things, just-” There isn’t exactly a correct response that she can give at this point, one that might help Amara. “You can come to me, and I’ll make sure nothing bad happens until we can figure out what to do. Anything that might happen, it’s on my shoulders. If something happens, and you think you might need to leave,” Her voice catches on her words, tearing herself apart inside with a promise that is almost death itself. “I’ll give up all of this to make sure you’re okay.”
Just so you don’t have to suffer alone.
“You’ll always have me.”

talk
credits

@Amara

you were angels,

Amara
Why?

Why am I so easily shattered (I love how easy it is to break you), so easily broken by my own hand? Why do I let myself become victim to irrational feelings? I let myself down, I crush myself under the consequences of my actions, under my expectations, letting my useless hopes and dreams sink to my feet where I will not pick them up. Perhaps one day I will bother to look down at them, to realize that I had wanted a future, that I wanted happiness. But I would never get it, I would never achieve any of my dreams, I had let them drop and slip from my grasp as soon as my mind broke. They slipped through my fingers like a handful of sand, pouring down onto the earth beneath me and blowing away in the wind where I could not get to them. Chasing such foolish things was something I learned was pointless, that I'd rather be a purposeless spectator than someone who was determined to do something I never would, that I never could. Even if I had tried, I was never set up to have a good life. 

It was an obvious fact, that as soon as I was born I was destined to fall. I was born with death, for in its wake I sprang weak and unsure, and that was it. There was no helping me. 

But I realized, looking back on it now, that Sia was persistent. She did not give up on me, her constant concern for my well being had always been obvious. I know how ungrateful I was, how selfish and unkind I was. I had never thought for a second anyone could have truly loved me, that those who did were already long dead. Burnt and swept up by the constantly changing tides, my past had been stolen all too early, when I was still fragile and impressionable. And I'd broken myself, punished myself over and over (Stupid, stupid! Idiot, fucking idiot!) until I was just something at your feet to disregard. I'd put myself in this position, and Sia had always been trying to get me out.  

Fucking idiot.

Everything stiffens, every fiber of my being, every hair in the wind, even my tears, have all stopped dead. I am paralyzed in every sense of the word, not even my heart dares to move. I stay like that for what could have been minutes, hours, days, maybe years. It's like the world wants to continue to move around me, to grow and flourish while I am frozen in this moment. I feel the bitterness of the elements against my body, the chill of snow against my spine, the frigid tears the clouds spill out across my back, and finally I felt blossoming flowers at my hooves, grass tickling my ankles and sunlight against my shoulders. I felt birds perch atop my crest, felt predators stalk past under the moon's harsh light and their prey flee into the shadows. I saw the cracks in the earth spread beneath me, watched shadows slither from these crevices, watched sunlight shatter the silence of night each dawn, watched the shadows take the earth back during dusk, the stars dancing ritualistically in celebration. I blink.

One

I fall apart at the inhale of a single breath, held for eons in my tormented lungs. It leaves my lips like a secret would, hesitant and subtle with fear of being intercepted. I am torn apart at the seams, bleeding with emotions I'd never experienced or even thought I could experience. I feel gentle hands tentatively caressing the curve of my cheek, the reassurance of someone familiar pushing me back to Sia, back out of my head and into what was real, what was happening

Two.

I feel everything getting expelled, everything getting torn from my walls, every picture, every memory, everything I'd spent time on trying to protect myself from the outside world. She was tearing it all down, throwing it all on the floor with the power behind her words. I was a trembling mess, a cowering child in a corner witnessing someone equally as hurt tear down my walls. With her hands the drywall crumbled, the insulation shredded, and the frame splintered. She was there, face to face with me with bloody hands and a messy appearance, rugged and still all grace. And I had no choice but to face her with my blood caked wounds and tear stained face. 

I look at her, I look at her and I tremble and choke and cry. I have been crying, but this was something more. Somehow the tears falling from my face now meant more than they had every night I sobbed for my misfortune, for every moment I spent crying over my mother and father and my loneliness. These tears were genuine, they were raw and beautiful and I was broken. I was a shivering mess with blood on my hands and shards in my wounds. I was damaged and messy but I was here. For once I was present and aware, I was feeling. 

I don't know whether to smile or scrunch my face up and let my snot run and my tears overflow in the same manner as an over emotional child. I don't know what to do because I'm relieved, I'm actually relieved. And even if it's for just a moment, it's wonderful.

Three.

I feel ethereal, like I could close my eyes and get stolen away by the wind. Like I could float steadily over the Throat, over the ocean and through the clouds, that if I tried perhaps I could go beyond just that. I am weightless but heavy all the same, dragged down by my mortal heart that so easily slows me down, denying my dream. But still, I feel myself ghost over to Sia, feel the heat of her skin and feel my lips slide along it, the touch was tender and passionate and filled with all the words I could never find. It was loving and chaste, it was healing and comforting yet overwhelmingly powerful. It spoke in ways I never could, in ways I prayed Sia could understand. 

I blinked, amber refocusing on Sia, who was still there before me, still miles away from me. I feel my heart wrench, chords straining against the stress of my emotional ruin. Columns and roofs, windows and walls, all crumbling apart at how much I longed to touch her. I wanted to show her that I could be gentle and loving, that although I had confessed to being a monster, that was not who I was. It was who they were.

Nothing else matters anymore, not the Skinwalker with their daunting cheshire smile and savage need to tear me apart like some lurking vulture, not the crowded voices pleading for attention, not the mysterious knowledge of murder or battle or other lands' gods. It was insignificant in comparison to the words tumbling from feeble lips, it was all so irrelevant compared to what Sia had to say.

"Thank you— thank you, thank you, thank you, Sia." It spilled out in one sting of words, not even a gasp of air in between as I smile up at her with pure, heartfelt adoration and— love. I love her. It was uncertain at first, I assumed it was love like the way you love your best friend, but no. It was total, unconditional love that traversed the binds of friendship, going above and beyond. I felt it warm in my gut, the weight of my feelings and unspoken words pushing away rationality and reason as I let myself spill out before her, letting her pick apart what I said and taking only what she wanted. "You're the only one, Sia. Everyone else has left, they've all left and they're not coming back. But you— you've always stayed, you've al-always been here. A-and I cannot say enough how tha-nkful I am." I was mumbling and stuttering and disastrous, but I spoke truthfully. Would she know?

Four.

It happens, it happens and my heart races and my lip quivers and I am terrified. Not even the monsters dancing in the edges of my vision can compare to the utter horror I feel welling as I stand open and vulnerable for Sia to look at. I was up for display with my organs exposed, hanging out for flies to buzz around and maggots to infect, for eyes to wander over my pitiful self and then away with new found disgust. 

She cried, she is crying. There are tears in those sparkling blue eyes of hers, tears and despair and I am following suit. Each time she says my name I think it will be the last, that I will just have to savour those last sweet syllables from her lips for the rest of my mundane existence. But what follows is a string of apologies, sewn together with trembling fingers donned in thimbles from the previous mistakes, all the pokes present on the working hands. I moved forward in overwhelmingly large strides, closing the distance between us and praying Sia would not flinch or move back. I'm so close, closer than I had been for a long time. I want to bury my face into her mane and tell her everything, drag her deeper into the darkness of my confessions. But now is not the time. 

Shatter.

I reach to brush at her cheek, to push away the tears that so eagerly fell from her cerulean eyes. I wanted to kiss them away, to replace each tear with a kiss tender and welcoming, to show that I was here. I wanted to kiss away her scars, her frowns, and her pain. If I had to deal with the heavy burden, I would do it. I would do anything for her. I wanted to make it all better for her, to guide her hand in hand to a paradise we had both only dreamed of, to a place where all this pain did not— could not— exist. 

If only. 

I move to wrap my neck around what was accessible of hers, hushing and cooing while she cried. I forgot about my own tears, concerned only for hers now. My tears became insignificant stains upon my cheeks as I caressed her, voice quiet and unsteady. "It's okay, Sia. It's okay. There's no need to apologize— it will be okay. Don't be scared, don't think you need to be sorry, it is not your fault. I'm here." It all comes out, slow and sweet while I bring up my wings, trying to reach towards the warm body before me to hold her even closer. I wanted her to be as close as she could, to make her feel welcomed by my stench ridden body while I tried to calm her. 

I hear her, I hear her words and I muffle a wail of my own. She was offering out a hand, a hand wracked in tremors but a hand none the less. And I was going to take it, I was going to soil it and she was going to regret ever lying with me and sharing stories of her ancestors back when we still didn't know how heartlessly cruel the world could be. I was going to take her hand and I was going to do my own regretting, I was going to regret dragging her into this mess that I should've been dealing with, that she shouldn't be involved in. 

Selfish.

I'm trying not to cry with my head against her neck, but with each word she speaks it grows harder. I'm sobbing and it hurts because my body is fatigued and my eyes sting, but I cry anyway. I push my face further into the soft skin of someone so familiar, exhaling hastily and inhaling sharply as I tried to find something, to grasp at the concept of words. "I'll stay—" I manage, huffing and puffing and feeling my chest shudder against her own. "I'll stay here with you, I- I'll try to be useful here—" I close my eyes and think for a moment, hey, maybe it will all work out. How funny. 

"I'm here now, I'm here and I'll be with you— I'll be here for you and for Zhu." I wanted to tell her that I would carry her burdens, her problems and her sorrows on my back if she so wished. Even if it broke my back I would still push on, I would drag my body and take what weight she had carried and pile it atop my own. I would devote myself to her happiness, to her safety and satisfaction. She could protest all she wished but it would be of no help. I will shoulder your burdens, your sorrows, your guilt and your secrets, I will wipe away your tears and protect everything you hold so dear— I swear