the Rift

[PRIVATE] what if i make mistakes

Evangeline the Pure Posts: 199
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 :: 10
Tallis :: Common Orange Dragon :: Fire Breath & Toxic Breath ali

There was too much going on recently and the orange mare had needed to step away from the Edge and her duties there. She needed a break, to be able to breathe and to relax and process everything that had happened in such a short amount of time. She still felt the weight of guilt bearing down on her whenever she thought about how she had let Tallis attack the stallion, Rift, who had brought Alysanne's daughter back to the Edge. No matter how many times Tallis tried to tell her that the punk had deserved it for his disrespect and his hateful words she disagreed. She was a healer and as a healer she was not meant to hurt. She was meant to help, to heal, but she'd allowed Tallis to attack someone and she hadn't even gone after him to make sure that he had not been wounded horribly.

Then there was Uriel's unexpected return and the way he looked at her when she admitted that she didn't know where his sister was. It made her feel like more of a failure and she beat herself up over what she should and shouldn't have done. She should have gone looking for them instead of waiting for them to come back, she shouldn't have thought that they were simply exploring the Edge. She should have noticed the change in Thor in the days before he finally took off and left. She should have talked to him, asked him what was wrong, put a stop to the heartbreak before it began. She should have been more excited when her son finally came back, she shouldn't have kept so much distance because she was terrified that he would lash out at her and disappear again.

And Faeanne, the beautiful girl that Ruske had brought to her after she'd been abandoned by her own mother. She returned and, again, Eva should have been much happier to see her again. She should have rushed to embrace the girl, to tell her how much she was missed, ask her where she had been, what she had seen, and so many other questions, but she couldn't make herself right then. The only thing she could feel was and continued to feel, was numb.

It wasn't even a pretty day at the beach, the dark clouds and the wind that whipped her hair wildly around her face as she stood staring out at the water was testament enough to the storms that would be rolling in. Still, Eva couldn't make herself leave. She didn't want to go back to the Edge right then because she didn't want to face anyone-- she didn't have the strength to.

'We have to go back sometime.' Tallis murmured as he sat on his bonded's rump and scanned the beach behind her.

"I know." The orange mare whispered back. "But I don't want to yet... I just want to stay here." Alone, away from everyone that had hurt her in the past and everyone that had the potential to. She needed time to put back up the walls that Thor had broken down and mend the heart that he had smashed into millions of little pieces.

"."

Evangeline the Pure

i stood there waiting
hoping you would come around
but you always found a way to let me down

Credits: Image by Schwartze @ DA

@Tembovu

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty

Why was he here? This was the last place he needed to be. The last place he should be. The tangy air, the relentless tide, the caress of endless wind on his buckskin hide… all reminders for pained memories. New pained memories. He had traveled so far, escaped death, to come to Helovia for a new beginning. A new life. And what had he done?

Riddled it with pain. Ears pin flush with his massive skull, eyes squinting against the spray of sand the brisk breeze threw into them. The wind was as agitated as his soul, whipping the sea into a frenzy as it forebode of winter storms looming at the end of Orangemoon. He missed the Tallsun already— and not just for the warmth. It was a happier time…

Heavy hooves of ivory churned the white beach, muscles reveling in the additional exertion required of the deep sand. Head rose, eyes still narrowed against the occasional shower of debris that peppered his face, as he swept up and down the shore. It was a futile and pointless gesture— even if he found the mare he was looking for, he wouldn’t approach her. That time was past, her swollen sides may have even burst now—

Involuntarily, a hoof stomped angrily to halt the flow of thoughts. Teeth gritted against the surprisingly sharp pang that shot through him; partially from Rexanna birthing another’s foal (his hide shuddered over angry, rigid muscles), but more from the yearning of familial ties. He was so utterly family-less: Hasovir exiled, Mara and Faxr long dead, sire and dam passed on, Dorobo destroyed.

Sweeping eyes halted on a body; a mare. His heart leapt into a painful gallop, before retinas take in the orange femininity that stood along the sea. An orange dragon curled gracefully on her rump; otherwise she, too, was alone. Although this elegant mare, his Moon Doctor, had a family. One bent on all reappearing at once, it seemed. Uriel, Faeanne, both children of Evangeline that appeared at the Edge’s borders. Curiosity reared it’s lion-like head within him, and he seized onto it, for anything was preferable to his earlier misery.

He approached, halting alongside the pure beauty, head lowered to nearly her height. “Evangeline,” his low voice rumbles quietly in greeting, “Tallis,” great horn nods to the dragon, “What brings my lovely Doctor to the shore on such a dreary day?”
image credits
- table by Niki -

@Evangeline <3

Please tag Tembovu.

Outcast

From his perch on Evangeline's rump Tallis could see Tembovu when he appeared in the distance. The dragon watched him quietly for several minutes, wondering if the stallion would keep his distance or if he would approach them. Tallis was not left to wonder for very long because soon the king's figure was growing larget and larger as he approached. "Tembovu." The dragon alerted his bonded and she turned her head to watch as he came closer. She wondered what he was doing so far away from their home and why it seemed that she could never seem to have a few hours to herself. She wondered if he'd seen her leave and had come to bring her back to the Edge but she squashed that notion as soon as it surfaced. She may have been a healer but she wasn't important enough for the King himself to fetch.

Her ears tilted toward Tembovu as he said her name and Tallis' in greeting. The dragon trilled his own greeting to the king, pleased that he'd been recognized. "Hello, Tembovu." Evangeline murmured. "Is there anything that I can do for you?" She asked, because why else would he be there if it were not to bring her back to the Edge for some task that needed to be completed?

"What brings my lovely Doctor to the shore on such a dreary day?"

It would have so easy for Eva to brush off the inquiry as if it were nothing, to lie and say that she was simply gathering herbs for use later, but that was exhausting. Instead she turned her head to look back at the rough waters of the ocean and asked; "Have you ever just wanted to escape? To just ... run away from everything and everyone and start new somewhere, where no one knows anything about you or your past? Where no one who's hurt you would ever think of looking to find you? Somewhere where you can let old wounds finally heal." But did such a place even exist?

"."

Evangeline the Pure

i stood there waiting

@Tembovu

Ears twitch at the shrill trill of Tallis, and his lips twitch as they nearly turn up in a smile. Once again the yearning for a companion blooms in his barrel, just as it had when he had witnessed Brisa bond to her own fox-like creature. How wonderful it would be to share yourself so wholly with another; no lies, no deception. Just pure, simple companionship. Blue eyes drift back to Evangeline’s emerald green ones, surprised at the relief he felt when he found a simple, genuine question in their depths. “Is there anything I that I can do for you?”

He, again, is surprised by how deeply this question hits him. A weight lifted in his barrel at the simple sincerity of her words. It was a simple and commonplace question, without the depth of meaning that hit the King. An ear slanted sideways as he gently shook his head, not quite trusting his voice to not spew the immensity of what he needed. He needed reassurance that he was not alone.

His ear returned forward to listen to her answer his question. A gentle frown creased the soft skin around his eyes as she spoke to the turbulent seas, her questions as tumbling as the waves. Despite the verbosity of her questions, there was still a multitude of meanings beneath the phrases. Some he understood, with the appearance of her children at the Edge; and some he would not understand. He waited a long while before answering, the whistle of wind and crash of waves amplifying in his momentary silence.

And then his thick lips parted, eyes still studying her profile, “I have done that. I have left my old home and come to a place where no one knows me to try and heal my wounds,” he paused, now shifting his gaze to look over the sea, “But I have not escaped my past. And the wounds— maybe they have healed, but their scars are not any less painful…” A gentle sigh escapes him as his mind begins its unfortunately familiar journey down the hell-hole that are his memories. They had been kept at bay when he (thought) he had another’s love, but now…

In an attempt to stall his downward spiral, a question is pushed from his lips, “What is it you are trying to escape, Evangeline?” Perhaps a personal question, but in avoiding his demons he paid the intimacy of such a query no mind.
image credits
- table by Niki -

@Evangeline

Please tag Tembovu.

Outcast

She wasn't sure what she was expecting, but it certainly wasn't for Tembovu to tell her that he had escaped to a place where no one knew him. There was a part of her that felt as though Tembovu had always been a part of Helovia. To hear that he was not and had been unable to escape his past made Evangeline sigh. Deep down she knew that running away did not solve any problems, it didn't mend wounds, or heal a broken heart but she had a sliver of hope that maybe, just maybe getting away from everything would be good. Her eyes closed and her head dropped as she soaked in what her king had to say and as she did she found questions bubbling up.

"What is it you are trying to escape, Evangeline?"

"Everything." She sighed and she knew it wasn't much of an answer to Tembovu. He knew nothing about her or her past, so saying everything meant absolutely nothing. It made her wish that Thor had not shattered every wall she'd put up to protect herself. It made her wish that she was better at building those walls back up to keep out everyone. She wished that she could make it on her own, that she didn't need a herd for protection, or feel that uncanny pull to help others when she couldn't even help herself.

Her eyes opened and she finally turned her head to look at Tembovu as he stood there next to her and she slowly began to realize that based on what he'd told her, in some ways, they were the same. "I've failed at everything... I've failed everyone since I came here." She admitted. "Everyone I've loved has left me... my children... my mates... my best friend was murdered here and I wasn't there to save him..." And she looked away because the fear that he would begin to judge her based on what she had admitted began to gnaw at her. "I couldn't heal Erthë's legs ... I tried to hurt someone because they hurt me..." And she hated that she had done it. She hated that she was letting her pain turn her into something that she wasn't.

"Now my children are coming back and I can't look at them without thinking about how I failed them." She whispered. "Uriel ... he didn't even look like he was glad to see me. He was worried about his sister and I don't even know where she is... I just assumed she was with her father ... that he'd taken them when he left me and she's not with him... how can I call myself a mother when I can't even raise my own children?" Tears rolled down her face as she finally asked the question, aloud, that had plagued her for so many years. "I want everything to stop hurting but now I can't figure out how because you've made it clear that there isn't any escape from it."

"."

Evangeline the Pure

i stood there waiting

@Tembovu

“Everything.” Her answer pulled his attention away from the churning waves, navy eyes leaving the grey and sand-filled crests. His brows knit slightly, in both consternation and concern. ‘Everything’ is even harder to run from than anything I’ve escaped,” and just the barest hints of amusement colored his tone, though not enough to bring a laugh— just enough to lighten the depths of his gaze.

Finally, he regained her bright emerald eyes, beautifully despite their sadness. He tried to hold the gaze, but the rawness in her eyes as she spoke plaintive, honest words was too much. So his own stare faltered, instead roaming over the sculpted lines of her face as she said words of abandonment, loss, and failure. His eyes sloped down the angle of her cheek, the curve of her muzzle.

He leaned forward, ears perked and straining, as her gentle voice dropped to a whisper. The murmurings were greedily snatched and scattered by the ferocious winds, but so attentive was the King that he caught the words before their dispersal.

Cautiously, he took a sidestep closer to her— glancing towards Tallis (to ask for permission? guidance?). In the cold of this oncoming storm, he sought to share his colossal warmth with her. He did not know if she was cold (in fact, she gave no indication of it), but any heat should be welcome in the face of these storms (emotional and physical).

But it was then that the tears began to roll down the chestnut cheeks he had just been studying. It was always the tears that stung the Elephant’s titanous heart. So, without much thought, he leaned his great shoulder towards her marked one, seeking to providing comforting pressure and warmth.

What he wanted to do was wipe away the tears and give her comforting words. But he was not so closely acquainted with his Doctor, nor was he able to spin such lies. At her final statement, “You've made it clear that there isn't any escape from it,” he found himself cursing his own admission. But what was said was said. He could not change that now.

Instead, he sighed gently, feeling a weight settle like a stone in his chest. “There will always be failure in life, always,” his low voice began, “But it isn’t the failures we should focus on, but the triumphs— no matter how trivial, for there are triumphs amid every failure. Your mates have left you? At least you have loved. Some poor beings do not know that light. Your children have left? At least you have had the joy of children in your life. Some are not so lucky,” a knowing, dark shadow crossed his face, “And you could not heal Erthe’s legs? At least you tried to heal wounds created by gods. Many cowardly or selfish souls would not do even that. And I will never condemn someone who hurts another in self defense. That is not a failure, but a solely a triumph.”

He paused, taking a breath after his monologue, eyes now searching for Eva’s, “I said there was no escaping my past. The pain will remain, it’s true. But you can layer— try to layer— happy, content, or simply less painful memories over it,” a sad breath, “Because that’s all we have left, in the end.” His ears tilted backwards and he turns his unseeing, lonely gaze to the sea.
image credits
- table by Niki -

have a novel.

Please tag Tembovu.

Outcast

Tallis shifted on Eva's back as the king stepped closer to his bondmate, but the dragon did nothing that would suggest he should back away. Instead he settled himself, curled his tail around his scaled body and rested his head so he could watch the large stallion as he spoke. The orange mare shifted when she felt the king's shoulder press against her own and she blinked against the tears that rolled so freely down her cheeks. She hated crying and she hated it even more when she cried in front of someone else.

"I know." She whispered when Tembovu claimed that there would always be failure in life. Of course there would, not everyone could be successful. Someone had to be the one that couldn't do anything right. She chewed on her tongue as the king continued to speak, telling her of silver linings, the triumphs that she should focus on. At least she experienced love. At least she had children. At least she tried, but none of it was ever good enough.

"If this is what love is I don't want it." She interrupted. "I would rather go my entire life loveless than spend what is left of it suffering because of it. I would rather not know what a lover's touch feels like than have it and lose it and wonder what I did for them to decide that I don't deserve it anymore!" How could he tell her that at least she experienced it when that was one of the things that had hurt her so much? But then he didn't know her. He didn't know how hard it had been for her to let someone else in. "I trusted him!" She gasped. "He promised me he wouldn't do this to me. He promised me! He promised me and I believed him  and he still left! What's wrong with me? Why does everyone leave?"

It was Tallis' sudden movement on her rump that made her suddenly go silent. 'Shhh...' the dragon murmured into her mind and she sighed. "I'm beginning to believe that Ruske was right." She said, frowning as she stared out at the rough waves. "They're happier without me. If they were happy with me then they'd still be here, wouldn't they? I would have been able to raise my children." She said and she turned her gaze to Tembovu. "Because, yes, I have children but I wasn't given the opportunity to watch them grow. I've never had the opportunity to be a part of their lives." As far as she knew Uriel and Faeanne were the only ones that were alive and that made her a terrible mother. She should know where her children were or, at the very least, if they were still breathing.

"But you can layer— try to layer— happy, content, or simply less painful memories over it,"

"How can you layer good memories when they're all connected to something painful." She asked because she at that moment honestly couldn't think of anything good that wasn't connected to something that hurt. "What happened to you?" Came her next question, because she wanted to not think about her own pain for just a few minutes.

"."

Evangeline the Pure

i stood there waiting

@Tembovu

Her slender shoulder shifts beneath his massive, coarse one and he relents the pressure, uncertain if it is wanted— but he wants to give that support. Ears stained forward, catching her whisper once again as a few, large raindrops squash it in cold depressions on the sand.

”If this is what love is I don't want it.” A burst of thoughts interrupt his own, as angry— nearly indignant— words spill from her lips. And then she was gasping, pain making her words reveal so much more than anything she had previously said. “I believed him  and he still left!” Navy eyes grew darker as he watched her, as he listened, to the scars of her past rent her heart and reveal her scars.

And he, the giant, felt her pain— though he did not share her sentiments. She cast love away, she did not want it. But he, despite all the suffering in his massive heart, still craved that intimacy with another soul. Perhaps it made him a romantic— the white knight that avenged the death of his lover. But to the Elephant, it was neither romance nor chivalry. It was a purpose, a reason to continue living. For, if one did not have that interconnection with others (be it romantic love or other sorts), then why stay among the living? He had delved deep into these dark questions after losing Mara and Faxr.

His ears twitch towards the orange dragon as he shifts, and Evangeline’s words suddenly halt on a sigh. He, again, loses her her eyes to the sea, now churning with the occasional raindrop. This storm would be cold and drenching. She continued, and he was filled with more questions. Who was Ruske? What did he say? She turns a question to him— would they still be with her if they were happy there? If only life and fate were so kind.

Another question, “How can you layer good memories when they're all connected to something painful?” And another, “What happened to you?” This flood of queries, this interrogation of his mind that was already wounded and bleeding…

He blinked, thinking as his gaze watched the waves roll in angrily to the shore. The foam, the roiling grey-brown water mirrored the tumult in his chest. So often had he offered a listening ear to others, so careful had he been with his own story. Because it hurt, because he was guilty. Guilty of his family’s death, guilty of destroying lives, guilty of betrayal, guilty of revenge. Did that make him selfish? Selfish to let others bleed their pain while his ears drank it in, while his own sins remained locked in his massive chest.

Gently, he shook his head at the weight of his thoughts, taking a deep breath before his low voice rolled above the crash of the sea, “You ask if ‘they’ would still be with you if they were happy with you. The answer is no, my own past is proof of that,” he paused, voice halting as it nearly refused to continue, “I come from a land far away, a once great nation that became destroyed by greed. That greed turned colts into soldiers, crusaders of gluttony that marched against our neighbors. I refused— I backed away from the battlefront to see my son grow and be alongside my love,” cobalt eyes did not see the sea, as his voice grew hoarse, “And so the greed of the Council burned them alive. I buried them…” he faded, for it wasn’t important that he had buried their charred flesh and peeling skin. It wasn’t important that he had picked up the small, oval hooves of his son and gently laid them atop his blackened body. Those memories, that hell, was reserved for his mind.

He took a deep, shaky breath, “So no, Evangeline. They are not here, despite being happy with me. Though my story is much different than yours— but fate is not a kind beast,” he paused, before quietly continuing, “Though, I will say that I hope neither you nor I spend the remainder of our lives ’loveless.’ How unbearable that would be.
image credits
- table by Niki -

@Evangeline

Please tag Tembovu.