the Rift

[PRIVATE] win the hearts of everyone who feels alone

Själ Posts: 112
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.0 hh :: 4 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Ansgar :: Plain Griffin :: Draining Clutch ChaoticMelodies
Själ
The girl paused to gaze fondly up the path to the plateau of the Heavenly Fields.  Ansgar perched easily on her rump, looking about with piercing golden eyes.  The griffin did not remember having been here before, and she sifted patiently through the memories rolling through her bonded's mind for answers.  The images came quickly, as did the surprisingly pleasant emotions associated with them:  a sunny day, a brilliant smile, a piercing blue - and suddenly the griffin did remember, if only vaguely.  This was the place that the princess had made her two dearest friends:  Zèklè, her Zèklè, her self-proclaimed 'badass' of a friend; and Ansgar, her companion, inseparable and familiar.

But it was not the griffin that the girl thought of just now with longing; she did not recognize the emotion, did not understand what it was to miss someone, particularly someone with whom she had spent so little time.  But there had been a connection, hadn't there?  Or had she merely imagined it, desperate as she had been for companionship?

Ansgar curled into a ball atop the unicorn's hindquarters, jealousy tainting the faint, warm joy of her bonded.  It was unfair, she knew, to be so envious of some colt from a faraway land when she had spent every waking moment of her short life with the princess; but it was suddenly a battle, a competition for the girl's adoration.  Ansgar was many things, but willing to share was not one of them - and it didn't matter before, for she had never been asked to give her time with the girl up for anyone else.  But now, even without the boy's presence, she was being shoved aside, ignored, and for what?

The griffin soothed herself by noting that it was she, and not the boy-child, who had been by the unicorn's side for months; not to mention, he was nowhere to be found.  The girl would snap out of her reverie in a few moments and go on her merry way, and then things would be right back to normal.  She had nothing to worry about.

Of course, it was true that the griffin ought not worry, for Ansgar held the closest place to the filly's heart; but it was difficult, nonetheless, to go so long without seeing even a vague hint of one's own kind, and harder still to return to Helovia without the slightest idea of where to look for the one creature who might welcome her.  Själ sent calming thoughts to the griffin, teasing her gently for her jealousy, and soon the negativity waned and the winged beast's happier nature won out; she stretched and leaped to the ground, where she began to bat playfully at Själ's tail, winning herself a smile.

But still, the girl wondered:  where was her badass?

"Speak."
--Ansgar.--

@Zèklè - oh dear, that was a bit all over the place.  My apologies!  But I'm so excited for this thread!!  :D
Själ

Pixel by Reli <3

Please tag Själ in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to plot with Själ?  Visit her plot page here!

Zèklè Posts: 166
Outcast atk: 8.0 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Colt :: Pegasus :: 14.1 :: Three HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
charks
Zèklè
In the time since Själ had seen him last, her badass had learned some important things. Like: friends are the people who don't leave even when your Ma gets really mad at them. Or: being a big brother is hard, but also pretty rewarding except for when it's not. And, most relevantly: people had this awesome habit of showing up exactly where and when you want them to, almost as though something, or someone, was conspiring to put them there.

Weird, huh?

It was a bright day, and Zero was determined to make the most of it, to enjoy the last of the sunlight before winter bore down and blanketed the world in cold. He'd set off without a set destination in mind, wanting to get somewhere without any real concept of where- just so long as he was out of the Throat, far away from where the confusion of his family loomed mountainous and overwhelming over his small bay form. Lately the boy had found himself wishing that things could go back to 'normal', when it was just him and Ma and that was enough. Before anyone cared who his Da was, before he'd broken his wing, before Mesec and Gaucho and Tae and Grusha had made things confusing- when it was just them, Zèklè and Ma, a duo who could take on the world without it interfering.

That's not to say that he didn't love his sisters- he did. They were his sisters. He was pretty much doomed to love them forever. But them being around made things so complicated, and Zero had never been a complicated kid- in fact, he'd made it a very distinct point to avoid complicated issues, thank you very much. He liked his adventures, and his rocks, and friends and whales and stories and Ma. Sisters and Da's were just unnecessary drama, and sometimes (though he'd never tell them) the lightning boy wished that they would just go away.

Ugh, but no, no more of that. Zero frowned and set his jaw, orange eyes bright with stubborn determination. He was determined to have a good day and be happy, and he wasn't about to let his confusion over the world get in the way of his enjoyment. The world could just be complicated without him. He was gonna go have fun.

He continued on his path north-ish, not quite sure where he was going but now more determined than ever to get there. Maybe he'd go seek out one of his friends, see if they wanted to share an adventure. The idea brightened him considerably. Yeah!

But who to choose?

Somehow, immediately, he began to think about Själ. Or maybe she was already on his mind, and that's why he'd wound up so far north, outside his normal roaming territory while still within the realm of known geography. He hadn't seen his errant princess in quite some time. Was she well? Had she made herself a home somewhere, a home of ice and stone and flowing water, found a kingdom just for her? Maybe she wasn't even here anymore- it had been a while, after all, and they were both older now. Maybe she'd forgotten her badass.

Or maybe she was there, exactly where he'd left her, just waiting for him to show up and sweep her off her feet say Hi.

Because she was there, her back to him, and despite the time that had passed the boy saw her from a distance and knew at once who it was. A grin stretched lopsided across his face- he wanted to run to her, to appear beside her and make her laugh, and so he did, his wing flapping inelegantly behind him like a flag as he trotted toward the snow-bitten maiden, sunbeam eyes bright in an older, but still vibrant, face. "Hey, Princess!" the boy cried out, nothing but innocent delight in his deepening voice. "Did'ja miss me?"

(I missed you, he doesn't say, because it's obvious in the way he smiles up at her, in the way he stops by her side, head tilted and wild mane falling across his eyes. It's in the way his tailfeathers splay just so, in the way he kind of prances in place, youthful eagerness making every line of his body vibrate like a string. It's in the way his wing relaxes instead of curling up against his back, as though trying to sink down into his skin. Because Själ is pretty and clever and sharp, and she's a memory of when things were simpler, easier- and he's happy to be her badass, her badass, at least for today.)
Baby, you're like lightning in a bottle - I can't let you go not that I got ya
Image Credits!

@Själ
So this is really long and I'm sorry xD He just got so talkative!

Själ
The wind was crisp against her hide, winding her forelock around her longest horn as it blew by.  She shook her head, freeing the trapped locks, enjoying the warmth of the Orangemoon sun upon her back despite the chill of the breeze.  Her coat had begun to thicken, preparing in its own way for the winter to come; her father's lineage, she imagined, brought this heavier pelt to bear, for her mother had been sleek, even in Frostfall.  Again she wondered about her father - who he was, and, more importantly where he was.  Where was her half-sister, who had so effortlessly destroyed any hope the filly might have had of familial companionship?  Of course, Själ was not the same as she had been then; in the time since her original entry into Helovia, she had grown.  Perhaps she didn't know who she came from, but she was beginning to learn who she was.  She wondered if she and Sno would still clash as desperately as they had back then.

Probably, she thought to herself.  Sno had been bitter, back then; angry, semi-depressed, and not in the least bit happy to learn of her sibling's existence.  Why would she be any less so now?

--You change,-- Ansgar reminded her.  Of course, the griffin was right.  If the princess had changed and grown, who was to say that her half-sister had not done so as well?  The girl sighed, blowing a tuft of warm air into the soft fur of her companion's belly, then wiggling her muzzle gently to muss the feathers along Ansgar's chest.  The creature squawked and rolled quickly to her stomach, crouching against the ground indignantly, her tail lashing.  The unicorn giggled, more than amused by the creature's reaction.  Ansgar wasn't truly angry, but it was quite fun to tease one another.  The griffin sat up and began to preen, pleased to have coaxed such playfulness from her bonded.

"Hey, Princess!"

The voice jolted the filly, who spun quickly to take in the sight of her badass bounding toward her.  He had grown since she had last seen him, becoming less a gangly colt and more...

A soft oh fell from her lips, a slight sigh of surprise and pleasure and something else; and then, half a heartbeat later, glee appeared in the place of her confusion, and she leaped forward to meet him, laughing in a way that bespoke her excitement.  She reached to bump her muzzle against him, hoping to feel him and smell him and just make sure that he was really here - and he was, and she grinned, her eyes lighting up, more free with her emotions now than she had ever been before, even more so because he almost pulled it out of her, effortlessly bringing her hidden feelings to the surface -

"I'm so happy to see you!" she squealed, answering his question without having to, because it was so obvious that she had missed him.  She hadn't had the word for it until now, but now she understood, and she knew what it meant to miss someone, what it was to have a friend.  He was her best friend (except maybe Ansgar), and she adored him and he made her happy.  "I hoped I've find my Badass here."  My Badass.

"Speak."
--Ansgar.--

OOC ;; Oh, darling, don't apologize for a long post, lol!  I love it!  @Zèklè
Själ

Pixel by Reli <3

Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

charks
Zèklè
Zero had always been a simple child, with simple emotions. And sure, sometimes complicated things happened to him, or he would up in stressful situations- and sure, occasionally he would even have to deal with two or even three feelings at the same time. But in general - and especially when it came to his friends - the boy rarely felt more than one thing at any given time, and that was why friends were the best. It wasn't complicated, it wasn't stressful, and it definitely wasn't difficult to understand.

But then Själ turned around in slow motion with her hair and her smile and her eyes and her laugh and suddenly Zero's heart was doing a funny, bumpy, flip-floppy thing that was definitely not simple, not at all, and Zero was at a loss.

Because not so long ago she'd been a little filly and he's been a little colt, and that was that. But now, now- now he was still a little colt, but she was definitely more than just a little filly, and the feelings he inspired within him were deeply, horribly complicated. His grin faltered and shifted into something powerfully bashful and self-conscious, and a flush rose hotly into his cheeks as he shuffled uneasily, powerfully aware of how stupid his greeting had been and desperately trying to pull himself into what he hoped was a cool, calm, collected pose.

Then she bumped her nose against her, and boy, did it all fall apart.

"YEAH!" the lightning boy exclaimed loudly, pointlessly (in response to what, even?), his voice echoing like a mockery in his own head. Was it hot? It was definitely hot. Zero fidgeted, his face split in a helpless grin as he tried to look anywhere but at the (his?) princess. Try to be cool, like Erebos or Ode- but that was hard, and complicated, and none of this was going well at all. His eyes roved hopelessly around and settled on Ansgar, who had also been significantly smaller the last time they'd met. Good- this was something he could talk about that wasn't her, or him. Neutral ground. He exhaled.

"So how's your 'panion she looks a lot bigger an' she's really beautiful I bet she flies great I don't got a 'panion but my sisters do I got two sisters now an'..." he inhaled deeply and colored again, suddenly realizing that he was babbling and definitely not cool. Maybe he should stop trying so hard. Ma always told him to just be himself, and even though Själ was super extra pretty now she was still the same Själ, right, and she liked him as a friend and maybe if he was just more him she'd like him more?

It was a theory, at least. And it made him feel much calmer.

At last he let his eyes turn properly to Själ, lopsided smile lodged securely on his face. "A lotta stuff's happened," he grinned to the girl (much quieter now, thank goodness) "An' I wanna tell you about all of it, an' find out all about you..." he paused, and reached his nose out toward her (and was that his heartbeat in his ears?).

Then his grin was back, bright and mischievous, and he was back to being her Badass and they were back to being friends. "But first we gotta climb this mountain, so you can be Princess of it an' me an' your 'panion can be your noble knights! Wha'd'ya say, huh?"

This last part was directed at Ansgar, but his ears stayed on Själ, eager for her answer and that beautiful smile.

One thing was certain- Zero was going to be in a fair bit of trouble if all his crushes hit this hard.

Image Credits!

@Själ

Själ
In many ways, the princess was quite the opposite of the blue-tinged badass that she was beginning to recognize as her best friend. Where he was outgoing, she was withdrawn; where he was bold, she was reserved. And where he viewed the world quite simply, in many ways, Själ had never been afforded that luxury. Nearly since birth, she had been faced with situations and emotions that she had been ill-equipped to face, and it had taken her the past year to begin to recover. When she had first met Zèklè, she had been haughty and proud, every bit the princess that her mother had told her she was; but now she stood before the colt without that wall, without the guarded mask carefully placed between her and whomever she was socializing with. Now she was just her, and she was just... happy. It had taken her a while to recognize that for what it was.

She was two years old now, a filly slowly blossoming into a mare. There were still signs of her youth, to be sure, in both the way she looked and in the way she acted, but she was growing up. Her scars ran deep, but the power of youth is that time invites those scars to fade. Already she struggled to recall the exact lines of her mother's face, the precise way that her half-sister had spoken to her when she had first arrived in this land. She hadn't the confidence that she would have as a full-grown mare who knew exactly who she was and what she wanted, but she was old enough now to recognize that she didn't know, and that was (mostly) okay. No matter how much she wanted to have a plan for what came next, there would always be surprises. Her upbringing had taught her that, at least.

Just now, she had no particular plan for how she would treat her badass, no word for the giddiness that bubbled within her at the sight of him. Even Ansgar found herself pleased to be in the colt's company again, remembering him from long ago and liking him for the way he was making the princess feel.

When Själ's nose bumped against his, she was surprised by how soft his muzzle was. She almost wanted to reach out again just to see if she had imagined it, but she supposed that would be odd. Or rude. Or something. And, above all, she didn't want him to think she was some weirdo or anything like that. That would be tragic and horrible and it might actually be the end of the world.

Words tumbled from the boy's mouth and she found herself smiling in spite of herself, in spite of the fact that he barely paused for a breath or for an answer or for anything, and maybe that was a bit strange, but it was also so very him that she could not find it off-putting. "Slow down!" she laughed - no, giggled. "I want to hear all about it," she added, so earnest that he could not possibly mistake her tone for placating, or condescending, or anything remotely negative. He reached toward her - or was she imagining that? And why did she have the urge to reach back, and to touch noses again, and should she do that? What was she supposed to do?

Somewhere in the swirling chaos of her mind, she realized that she had no idea what to make of her complete and utter disarray. Why was her mind so scattered, why was she so unsure, why was she so afraid to make the wrong move and scare him away or make him leave or make him not like her anymore? And why was that such a horrifying prospect? What was it about him that made her want to hold on tight and never let go?

The depth of her desire for his companionship and approval was terrifying.

"How about this - you and I can be the King and Queen of the mountain, and Ansgar can be our valiant knight?" she asked, her eyes shining with excitement. "And then you can tell me all about your two sisters and their companions and maybe you'll even get around to telling me about you!" With a grin she began to trot, flicking her tail playfully at him as she started up the path.

"Speak."
--Ansgar.--

OOC ;; @ Zèklè
Själ

Pixel by Reli <3

charks
Zèklè
This was all so terribly, horribly strange, and poor Zero had no experience on which to base his actions, or to gauge her response. He would have been nervous, desperately nervous, except that when Själ laughed she laughed with him, not at him (he hoped), and that made his chest swell with something complicated, yet pleasant. Laughing was good. Laughing was familiar. Slowly the lightning-backed boy relaxed, his frenzied heartbeat growing a little bit slower and a little bit louder as her radiant smile blossomed, bright enough to match his own.

The boy danced in place on iron hooves as he waited for his princess' answer, sunbeam eyes bright and enthusiastic, tailfeathers glinting blue in the light. He wanted her to say yes- and she did, in a way, though her answer left the boy quieter than usual, a troubled thought running through his mind.

But she was off before he could reply, her tail dancing (so pretty) in the breeze, hips swaying (holy Sun God how had he not known about hips before?) neatly. For a minute he could only stare, dumbfounded, mouth slightly agape and brain empty - or maybe too full. Why were girls so pretty? That wasn't fair, especially when he wasn't handsome, when he was barely more than a pile of black and brown fur on stilts, still awkward in his youth, with a too-big wing and a too-short tail. For all his smiles and all his joy he was really just a kid with one wing in the end, and she was a princess, and what chance did he even have, and-

-and she was quickly getting ahead of him.

Zero blinked, his face growing powerfully hot, and thanked whatever gods were listening from the sky and the sea that she hadn't been looking because oh my Sun that would have been embarrassing! Scrambling inelegantly, the boy threw his wing over his back and tried to pull himself into a trot-canter, jumping to catch up with the taller Själ before falling into step beside her.

Panting, the boy finally voiced the thought that had been troubling him. "I don't know if I wanna be a King," he answered, thinking of Gaucho and how angry and busy the Sultan always seemed. "I think king's have a lot of pressure on 'em. I'd rather be a knight, an' not have to worry 'bout what people think of me, an' have more time- y'know, to spend with the people I love."

"...people I love."

"...people I ... love."

"...I love."

"...love..."

Oh, gods, did I really just say that?

"But I'd be your prince, if you really wanted!" Nope nope nope. He was only making things worse. Desperate now, he remembered her other comment, latching onto it like a drowning tortoise might cling to a giraffe-shaped floatie. "But yeah I have sisters!" he exclaimed wildly, "An' they have 'panions, which Ma was upset about 'cus she doesn't like 'panions even though I don't see what's so bad about 'em. Ouch!" He stumbled on a loose rock, splaying his wing out toward her as he struggled to regain his balance. The path was steep.

"I dunno, though- at first I was angry 'bout havin' sisters, 'cus nobody told me or anything. But then I was happy 'cus, I dunno, it was kinda cool bein' a big brother. But now... I dunno. They're weird, kinda, an' sometimes I feel like I don't understand them." His lips twisted, a conflicted expression crossing his face before it cleared and the boy's shoulders rolled in a gentle shrug. "But that's OK, I'll figure it out! Whatabout you, you got any brothers or sisters or..." boyfriends? he silently added, but for once Zero held his tongue, holding himself to a shy, hopeful look which he directed at the filly, his trademark grin peeking around his inky lips.

Image Credits!

@Själ

Själ
The princess was off and away before she could note the colt's unusual silence, her ears pricked forward and her pace energetic. Her tail flicked against her hocks as she trotted, soon falling to a walk as the path narrowed. By then, she had become all-to-aware of the proximity of her badass. He was close to her, and she was suddenly shy, worried that she might say or do something silly and horrid. Oh, gods above, what if she tripped? What if she tripped and pushed him? What if she tripped and pushed him off the mountain.

Shut. Up, she told herself firmly, grateful that he could not see the heat mantling her cheeks at her rambling, incoherent thoughts.

His words, at least, were calming. She noted, suddenly, that she really liked his voice. It was... well, it was friendship, and happiness, and warmth. A lot of warmth -

The meaning of his comment, however, sank in and gave her pause. He didn't want to be king - and why should he? The girl's mother was an Empress, and look where that got her. She had gone mad, and then she had died, leaving her daughter alone in the world. Of late, Själ had begun to feel less and less like the princess her mother had claimed she was - perhaps she didn't want to be a queen any more than her badass wanted to be a king. "You're right," she agreed. "My mother was a queen once." Dare she say it? Dare she defy her mother's wishes, Psyche's dreams for her daughter? "But... I don't think she was a very good queen." It came out softly, a whisper in the wind. She looked down, frowning, her eyes troubled and vaguely glassy (no, they weren't teary) as she concentrated on putting one hoof in front of the other.

I don't think she loved me either.

But that, she could not bring herself to say. It didn't matter, in any case - not when she had friends like Zèklè to love... her...

To love her.

The girl knew that she liked her badass. She knew that she wanted to be around him, and that when she wasn't, she missed him (and that was quite the new feeling for her - she had never missed anyone before). She knew that he made her feel good, like a better, happier, kinder version of herself. She knew that he understood her, even when she didn't say anything at all. Was this was love was supposed to feel like? "I don't think I want to be a princess any more than you want to be a king," she said quickly, to hide the fluttering in her stomach and the stuttering of her mind. Immediately, she regretted it - it was too much a denial, too much a no, and that wasn't what she meant at all.

"I mean, like you said, I would rather spend time with you than be busy all the time." Did that even make sense? "I mean, with people." People I love. You. Love. What?

But her badass knight saved her, offering a new topic, and she grasped onto it gratefully. "What - careful!" she exclaimed, lunging to grasp a mouthful of his mane, overly conscious of the feeling of his wing as it flailed across her back. Realizing that she had overreacted, she stepped back, bashfully coughing as though to clear her throat (rather than to hide her embarrassment). "Um, so, what does your mother have against companions? Ansgar is my only family. If it wasn't for her, I'd have been alone all this time." Well, that wasn't entirely true. Snö was out there somewhere, right? In any case, she had inadvertently answered the boy's question.

"I - well - sort of?" she stammered in response to his query about her family. "I met my half-sister when I first came to Helovia, but I don't know where she is now. I think she hated me, anyway," she admitted, her mouth twisting sadly. "I don't really know why. She told me to leave, and I haven't seen her since. My mother died, and I don't know who my father is. For all I know, I could have brothers and sisters somewhere." She shrugged, refusing to admit, even to herself, how much it stung that she was so alone.

"But thats okay. How old are your sisters? What are they like? What about your mother, what's she like?" What's it like to have a family? "Where do you live? I don't live anywhere yet. Do you think you'll ever get a companion?" Was she asking too many questions? It felt like too many questions. She peered at him curiously all the same, a shy smile playing at the corners of her mouth.

"Speak."
--Ansgar.--

OOC ;; @Zèklè
Själ

Pixel by Reli <3

charks
Zèklè
The lightning boy nodded seriously as Själ, too, denounced the weight of royalty. Mothers who were queens, he silently decided, were probably just as bad as Das who were sultans. Once upon a time Zero had thought it to be something of his birthright, that he was a mighty prince of the Throat- but as surely as his mother had given up her position as Sultana long ago, the boy had eventually discarded this particular life goal. It would be much better, he'd decided, to be a great fighter and hero and badass of the entire world, than just a Prince of the Throat.

Besides, Gaucho had like a zillion children who were 100% his and not just maybe his, and so being a prince wasn't even that special, really.

They continued up the steep mountainside, two children caught up in an adult's world, trapped beneath the weights of their mothers, even if the lightning boy didn't exactly see it that way. Black lips contorted into an expression of uncertainty, his ears dropping down as he attempted to voice Ampere's opinion on companions- something he had never really come to terms with, himself, but accepted nonetheless because it was Ma. "I guess she thinks that nobody oughta be forced to be with someone else, y'know? That 'panions oughta be able t'choose if they're gonna bond, 'stead of bein' born into it." Zero sighed, shaking his head- it was horribly complicated, and the boy didn't like to think about it too hard. He shrugged. "But I never met a 'panion who wasn't happy bein' bonded, I think, so... I dunno."

It didn't help that Ma was bonded, now, too. Or that his sisters both were. In fact it only made things worse.

He was happy to turn the subject back to her, although that happiness quickly faded, his expression flashing from disbelief to righteous anger as Själ described her family. "What a bitch!" the boy exclaimed, mouth fumbling over the unfamiliar insult (one he had heard Ma use to describe mares she did not like, which seemed appropriate here). "How could anyone hate you? You're awesome!" So earnest and emphatic was his opinion on the matter that for a moment he forgot about his strange new feelings and simply stared at her, a protective disbelief adamant in his sunbeam eyes. How dare anyone tell his Själ to leave?! Why if he'd been there he would've- would've-

Then he realized he was staring and quickly looked away, powerful embarrassment mixing with his dislike for Själ's sister, who was obviously an idiot anyway.

He shrugged at the mention of his own sisters, his anger quickly subsiding. "They're just babies, 'cept they keep actin' like they're grown up and it drives Ma crazy," the boy explained sagely, blissfully oblivious to the share of insanity he'd unwittingly added to Ampere's life. Then he perked up. "But my Ma's awesome! She knows all the best stories, an' she's teachin' me to fight 'cus she's a great warrior, an' she used to be Sultana of the Throat but she stopped 'cus she wanted to be able to do more stuff an' have adventures an' spend time with me!" If the filly felt any discomfort or sadness as Zero described his mother, the boy did not notice. He was fully recovered from his earlier dismay, always more than happy to brag about the Ma he adored to anyone who would listen.

"Anyway, we live in the Dragon's Throat, an'- HEY!" he practically shouted, because just then he got a perfect idea, and he couldn't bear to hold it in. "Why don't you an' Ansgar come to the Throat? It's really warm an' nice an' everyone's super friendly an' you could live with me-" Oh, no, that was an embarrassing slip. "I mean not with me but in the same place as me, an' then y'could meet my Ma an' my sisters an' I could show you all around an'- an'-"

He sputtered, catching himself, pulling himself into a facade of calm so she wouldn't think he was too desperate. "I mean, y'know, if you want to." But his eyes shone with hopeful affection, and his tailfeathers shook with anticipation at her answers. "You could be whatever you wanted. You don't have to be alone anymore," he finished softly, a quiet promise in his earnest voice, a quavering and youthful pledge from a Badass to his Princess Själ. "You never have to be alone again."

Image Credits!

@Själ

Själ
She remembered the day that she found Ansgar's egg.  It was crystal clear, as though it had only happened yesterday, though many of her other, less pleasant memories had long since faded away.  She remembered stumbling into a clearing, an orb perched precariously on the edge of the ice, tilting this way and that - she remembered the bumbling idiots who were going to knock it into the water and she remembered screaming at them to stop --

And then Ansgar had chosen her.  It hadn't been the girl's choice at all.

"I guess that what your Ma says kind of makes sense," she replied thoughtfully.  "I mean, I guess if someone was using their companion to, I dunno... fight, or something like that, or if they stole the egg away from its family, or..."  She trailed off, sickened by the thought of anyone doing something like that to an innocent egg, a life that had yet to even be born.  "But it's not always like that!" she exclaimed then, brightening considerably.  "Ansgar chose me, not the other way around!"  The griffin bounded ahead of the pair, twirling to wait for them at the top of a particularly steep rise, purring as though to say, yes, that's right, I did choose her.  And then she was off again, scouting ahead as she was wont to do.

The girl rather thought that her badass's ma sounded quite wise, unlike her own deluded mother.  But it was Snö who earned the boy's wrath.  The girl giggled as he denounced the older filly.  "I'm glad you think so," she said, swinging her hips to bump her rump against his.  "I don't know why she wanted me to leave so badly.  I'm glad I came back, though!"  She was oblivious to his staring, distracted by his rage (which, by the way, she thought was adorable - and not in the oh-you're-such-a-cute-baby-let-me-pinch-your-cheeks way, either) and perfectly happy to accept his offered compliment.

As Zèklè began to describe his mother, though, the girl's smile began to falter.  It wasn't that she was unhappy - truly, it wasn't - but as he spoke of his Ma and how wonderful she was, the princess could not help but want that, too.  She swallowed hard, jealous in that way that makes you happy for them but sad for you, attempting to keep her emotions in check because it wasn't his fault that her mother had gone off somewhere and died.  It wasn't his fault that she had grown more psychotic with each passing day.  It wasn't his fault that she couldn't tell if Mother had loved her or her legacy more.

His shout startled the girl, who raised a brow and tilted her head, confused and amused in equal measure.  But what he said truly surprised her, and she gaped at him, speechless, happiness and gratefulness and nervousness and bemusement bubbling up and up and up inside her until she couldn't hold it in - "W-wait, do you mean it?!" she practically shrieked, realizing too late that her excitement made her look way too desperate.  She didn't want to be some needy baby, after all.

She could meet his Ma, and his sisters, too - she wondered if they would like her, if maybe... maybe... maybe they could be her family, too?

But no, wait - if that happened, then that would make Zero her brother, practically, and that was just weird, and... and weird, and...  And he wasn't a brother, ew, no, he was... he was...

Well, it didn't really matter, did it?

"Of course, I'd love to live in the Throat!" she squealed finally, practically prancing in place with excitement.  A thought stopped her, though.  "Do you... do you really think I could?  What if they don't like me?" she whispered, doubt shining in her eyes as she shifted her weight back and forth, wringing her tail anxiously, looking to him to soothe her cracked soul.

"Speak."
--Ansgar.--

OOC ;; @Zèklè
Själ

Pixel by Reli <3