the Rift

A Broken Heart Mending

Dasmine Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
The threshold, a place where she could just walk in and her past life would no longer matter. Many others had walked this road before but now it was her turn. Very few is known about this place from where she traveled, since those who went never return. Others would go to the threshold and stop, realizing that there lives where worth living. They wanted to stay, wanted to go back to their families and lives but not this mare. She wanted to get as far away from her past life as possible, she felt she had no one to go back to, her trail was marked in crimson hoof prints.

Walking through the threshold, no one would know her. She just needed to live, or die trying. One hoof step and she would start a new, one step and she wouldn't have to fight anymore, one step and she would be happy. Quickly she cleaned herself as best as she could, she went from grieving mess to slightly dirty horse. Taking a breath she looked back at the life she was leaving behind and took that one step. She was stripped of everything, all that was left was herself, a mare. Memories stayed but she had no need to remember them now, this was a new life.

Taking a breath Dasmine began to walk, a smile plastered on her face, her violet eyes bright with new adventures to tackle. She was happy, and couldn't wait to make new memories. Maybe the next years of her life would be better, made those Crimson hoof prints would fade, leaving new joy in their wake. Prancing through the forest she hoped to meet someone, a new person to welcome her to this land.

Caneo Posts: 133
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3h :: 6 years HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Ophiria :: Dragon Snake :: None kae

Here again.

The silver stallion wends through trees on soft feet, half a ghost against the shadows and the falling shafts of light. He arrives from the opposite direction this time: insider greeting those from without, blue eyes turned toward Helovia's edge from its heart. Doing so gives rise to a strange, uneasy rattling in his chest, as if he might lose control of himself and wander off again - run right out. But he recalls Essetia, her eyes at night, the comfortable laughter of her voice. And he recalls Ampere, bright and adamant. He does not wish to disappoint them.

He has promised.

So Caneo is not running away. He arrives in search of those (a little) like him. Pale eyes shift from one dark space to another as he walks, measuring shadows and recalling what it is to step anew into this land, fearful and alone, lost. He is a soft thing even in the day, half wraith, but he now moves as if he belongs here. He is hunting, and he finds potential quarry at last when something moves ahead of him, disrupting the cool play of shadow on light.

The silver figure hesitates for just a moment when he sees her - her, says his nose when he inhales - and he blinks. She stands smaller than he, though many do, so he peers down at her with vague interest when his cloven hooves at last bring him in her direction. He doesn't speak until he is close; silence is a habit of his. But he does look, curiosity keen in the long, sharp lines of his face, until he stands several paces away. And then the musical tone of his voice chimes out, soft and low, alive as always with a sound akin to laughter. "Hello." Caneo's tail wraps lazily around one hind leg as he cocks his head at her. "You lost?" he wonders aloud, though he thinks the answer is yes, and he can give a solution to her problem, should she want it.

He thinks, also, he wants to know more about her before he offers anything. So he looks, and waits, and thinks, aware he is new to this game and unwilling to bring home an undesirable on his first time out. Still, growing the herd is what herd members are supposed to do, isn't it? Caneo flicks an ear at the stranger, weighing his options.

image credits
Table and Picture by Nicole (Niki)

* violence & magic use always permitted *
Do not tag Caneo unless you are starting a new thread you would like me to see! Thank you!

Unregistered
Dasmine took wary steps, each more important than the last, each one step farther from her home. No, that wasn't her home any more, she wasn't that mare. The mare too slow to protect those she loved. The mare too fast to abandoned those she loved. The mare who didn't deserve love. She was happy now, atleast she was suppose to be happy. Though the smile that graced her face did waver, it turned back into the joyful grin that she longed to keep. 

The soft ground below her and the shadows above her told her exactly where she was, a forest unknown to her before. The light filtered through the leaves, leaving shadowy patches tainted by its light. Each one that hit her pelt left her feeling warm, welcome. That was when Dasmine noticed something in the shadows, a creature larger than her by an unknown height. It was silent, the soft sound of its breathing seeming to be the only sound at that moment, that and the loud thumping in the mares heart. Maybe the reason no one came back was because monsters devoured them,  and that was about to happen to he. She froze, not able to more due to paralyzingly fear. When the Stallion stepped into the light, all she could do was sigh in relief. 

It was a unicorn, larger than Dasmine, but only by a hand or so. He seemed to peered down at her and she peered back up, a smile finding itself back on her face. Then he asked her a question. Am I lost? I know where I am, kinda. For a few moments she debated with herself on what to say, finally she came to a decision. "Yes I am, well no I know I am in Helovia, but yes I am lost." Spoke Dasmine, her words fumbled as she tried to speak. Then deciding she should try to make polite conversation she then said. "My name is Dasmine, what's yours?"

Caneo recognizes that look in her eyes. The raw, bitter taste of fear wells up in memory so strongly he casts a single quick glance backward, certain to find something hunting them both. But no. When his gaze returns to the girl, he suppresses a confused frown until the realization slowly dawns: it's him. She fears him, even if the fear melts from her eyes the moment he steps forward, into the light. Caneo wants to laugh; has he become so terrible?

In the silence after his greeting, his eyes crawl across the stranger's hide with interest. He learns a lot from looking, usually, and what he sees now is a small, disheveled creature, stronger of bone than he can ever hope to be. What misfortune drew her here, to the unwelcoming trees and the whims of chance? If she isn't naturally dirty, she must be leaving something behind rather than seeking something ahead. But Caneo keeps his guesses to himself, expression lighting up only when she does, at last, begin to speak. The words tumble without grace from her lips, carelessly executed. So if she does run from danger, it never taught her to be careful.

One of Caneo's ears flicks sharply back, though his expression never falters from polite. He wonders how she knows Helovia, though maybe she arrives from somewhere near, where the herds speak of this strange place with ease. Not like him; he arrived blind and quaking, and so she ought to have an advantage. "Oh, you know about Helovia?" Caneo chimes in response, his tone light as if he approves. "What do you know?" he wonders. Why have you come here?

When the conversation changes to more formal niceties, some off the brilliance in his expression dims. Dasmine, she calls herself, and the silver boy nods. His gaze shifts again to their surroundings, a primitive wariness considering the vast forest once again before he answers at all. He thinks about turning around and going home, just to see if she follows, so he doesn't have to do this naming stuff, but that would be rude. So he lets out a little sigh, and says, "I'm Caneo." A thin smile lingers on his face as he says it. "I live in the Dragon's Throat."

image credits

Do not tag Caneo unless you are starting a new thread you would like me to see! Thank you!

Unregistered
The mares smile again faltered ever so slightly. Sadness filled her eyes, almost to the point of crying. She would have cried if it weren't for the fact that she couldn't let them know. Even if she where too never see this stallion again, she couldn't let them know. One person knowing could spread to a heard, and from heard to heard the story of the mare who ran would be spread. She did not want that to happen. Instead she calmly replied. "My heard had told stories of this place. Saying those who went never cam back. I wanted to see it for myself." Though not a full lie, it was still just that, a half truth to keep him pacified. Don't ask more, I don't want to answer.

Dasmine felt under pressure now, but she kept on her happy smile all the same. Soon this would feel natural to her but now she couldn't be sad, she needed to be strong, no one needed to worry about a mare like her. After all she was old enough to worry about herself. She watched as he looked away, you don't have to answer, I just need you to stop asking. The stallion had a stoic look to him. She never had seen many unicorns in her past life, so one here now was such a sight. Once he answered, she found herself smiling. "Dragon Throat, is that a heard?" Of course it was, but that didn't stop Dasmine from asking. She wanted to keep the conversation off the topic of her, because she knew if pried to much she would spill her information. Why not stay silent, she wanted to stay silent and let others be happy after all. Please don't ask about me

Drasmine surprises him again when sadness clouds the vivid gemstones of her eyes, flickering like static through what may be a smile owed mostly to courage. Caneo can't presume that, and doesn't really wish to, anyway. He hid his own heart when he entered the Threshold, and was given a home afterward only out of pity. But does he pity this mare? Does he want her in his home; does he want Ampere seeing this the first thing he brings home? His thoughts are selfish now, waging concern for inaction against the consequences of poor action. Pity has never moved his heart before; he is too cold for such a warm sensation, a beast born to desolation and the emptiness of night. "'Never came back' usually means dead," he points out. "You could have been walking into a trap."

But if naivete is her only flaw, that can probably be fixed. Not by him, of course. Losing interest in her faulty logic, he nods in response to her next question. Joy shines through her tone again, as if she is desperate to latch on to the possibility of sanctuary. Such an incandescent creature - heart worn plainly in the open. No hint of danger lurks within her, though, so maybe she can find a use doing... whatever silly mares do. "It is the home of a herd," Caneo responds delicately. "The sun reigns there. It is not an easy place to live." He says this remembering Ampere's scrutiny as he stood upon her borders. Can Dasmine thrive there? She looks healthy under an unkempt skin, but he knows those of the desert usually adhere to his own make: slim, fast, enduring. In any event, maybe that's a decision for their leaders to make.

Caneo blinks, turning the words around over his tongue. His tail twitches again, ragged lion's plume flaring over bony hocks. His head cocks, and he is nothing but polite once more, his indecision and his disapproval vanished behind the brilliance of blue eyes. "I could show you the way, if you think you have something to offer the herd." He still isn't sure if he has something to offer the herd, but there the offer rests. He thinks dully of leading her back all the many steps to the mainland's edge.

image credits

Unregistered
Dasmine recoiled at the comment of death ever so slightly. Deciding whether or not to reply to his words. How would she reply to this question. Tell him that that's not true. She could just pretend, pretend that she didn't hear it, but if she did then that would be even more suspicious. Instead she spoke, another half truth to add to the bunch already spoken. "It could also mean a place better than the place you called home. But I guess it could also mean that yes." Her words sounded hollow, but still had a faked cheer behind them. Why did you have to ask?

As he continued her mood seemed to brighten, he did not have any more questions about her, but rather for her. She was glad for this, hoping he wouldn't continue his words about her past life. Instead he was now talking about his home, Dragon Throat a place where the sun reigned, warmth. Sure the fur around her hooves was long, but most the rest of it was short. In fact she preferred the warmth to the cold. Was there even a cold land here. If there was a place warm could there even be a cold place close by? Dasmine stopped trying to imagine the land scape and went back to Caneo.
What could she do for the heard. She was no fighter but she did care.

"I would be very thankful if you could show me the way to your heard! I do not mind the beating sun so do not worry to much." Her voice had that same cheat again, only this did not seem forced, she was genuinely happy to be able to find a home. A place where she wouldn't be scared. She would be protected. She would be happy.

Caneo gives no response to her attempted argument. He blinks at her, wondering how the point of his comment has sailed so neatly overhead. Naive - an understatement. But maybe she is grown from softer soil than he. He ought to be glad. Remorseless for the strain in her cheer, Caneo carries on, eager to finish this conversation. He aches for the music of solitude, and the softer light of stars.

Quiet, he watches Dasmine contemplate. It was never his decision, really. So long as Ampere doesn't throw him out for idiocy, he is content to drag the spotted mare home with him. He spends a minute ruminating, thinking on what Essetia would do, or Roland, but he thinks his friends would never have been seen by anyone they deemed unworthy. He was naive, too, in his approach. He will do better next time, if he ventures here again.

He nods shallowly when Dasmine accepts his invitation, though she doesn't offer any particular skill set. "Okay," Caneo says simply. He could try to run away, but again, that's a child's response, and utterly rude besides. He will walk with her, all the way to the edge, and the island beyond. Slowly his body turns, steps soft on the needle-laden ground. One eye and one ear cock back at Dasmine, though. "It's a long walk," he advises. The distance is probably days, though his long stride eats distance the way other creatures devour grass. Caneo begins to move, unwilling to check his pace for her benefit, though he will if he must. How else will she grow strong enough to survive if she doesn't push herself? "Follow me."

He leads her southeast through the trees, his gaze raking the sky as he struggles to remember landmarks. The art of navigation by ground still rings strange in his mind, but the stars hide now, and offer him nothing to judge by. To the cliffs, he thinks. Aloud, he says over his shoulder, "You should think about it while we walk. What kind of job you want. There are sneaks, warriors, healers..." Unable to remember them all, Caneo trails off. He is trying to help, in his own way, should she come under scrutiny when they arrive. She says she doesn't mind the sun, but... He casts a glance at her, wonders how much she could have endured in this life.

image credits

ooc| Will start a thread for you in the Throat soon :) He's being a bit of a jerk, but welcome!

Unregistered
Dasmine walked at a light trot to keep up with the unicorn. She had been walking for days, a few more strides wouldn't be too bad for her. She hated to slow Caneo down so she tried to match his pace. Though she did not reply to his few comments she did however take note of them. Glad that he did not even care to know about her past life made her happy, she was happy that she didn't have to think to hard about it. As they weaved through the trees the mare hummed a soft tune to herself, one a family of nomads taught her, one she sung to her young child softly to sleep. This was quickly stopped as the memories of that song filled her with grief.

As they continued through the forest Dasmine kept her head held high. She did not want the stallion before her to question a sign of sadness she may have. She was alone with her thoughts for a while, and didn't like that. Every bad thing ate at her like bugs, and she feared that she would be consumed. Thankfully Caneo finally spoke, instructing her to think about what she might want to do with her life. His voice then seemed to trail off leaving her to wonder what he may have been thinking. What would I do? Dasmine questioned to herself. She seemed lost in thought for a few solid moments before she replied. She had no idea what a sneak was but she could never be a warrior, or a healer. Having some else's life in her hands, that would only add to the crimson behind her."I love to make people happy, and tell jokes, and make stories! Is there any job requiring any of those skills?"