the Rift

A House of Memories

Kodiak Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Kodiak
As he walked, his attention kept snagging on little things. He counted the trees he passed for a while, until some birds swept through and he began picking out their individual songs from the chorus. The flurry of wings loosened a bit of snow from the heavy laden branches, and he watched the way the light caught the tiny flakes. The sun seemed low in the sky, drawing long shadows that stretched on endlessly and divided the forest into stripes of gold and black. He couldn't tell if it was excessively early or late, but he supposed that he would rest when he grew tired.

Kodiak decided that he liked the snow, though he wasn't sure if that was an old realization making itself known, or perhaps a new one altogether.

After pausing for another coughing spell that painted the ground red, he became aware of another presence in the forest. Her coat blended simply into the scenery around them, and he couldn't be certain how long she'd been there. Perhaps she'd been watching the entire time.

She regarded him softly, the blue of her eyes sheltered by her lowered lashes, waiting for him to make a move. He felt the tension of the moment thrumming in the silence, for even the birds had fallen quiet. It took him more than a few moments to work out why she might hesitate to approach him. It was likely related to the fact that he had quite a bit of height on her, he might even be able to step right over her if he exerted himself a little.

He opened his mouth to speak, perhaps to even reassure the timid mare, but nothing came. What was there to say? He didn't know where he was, or even how he'd come to be here.

The moment shattered when another horse flounced into the scene, appearing completely oblivious to the mood. She approached him heedlessly, offering him strange things, starkly opposite to the grey. He startled back a step like a wild creature, pinning his ears for a fraction of a second at the newcomer.

Words jump into his throat, demanding that he snarl a few choice words at the blue mare for her lack of respect. But none of them felt quite right to him, and part of him recognized that they were offering him aid. What had he come here for, if not that?

"I-I don't know what happened," he told them. "I can't see very well."

"Talk."
@Tiamat
@Agnodice
I'm walking the long road
           watching the sky fall

image credits

Messages In This Thread
A House of Memories - by Kodiak - 01-26-2016, 06:26 PM
RE: A House of Memories - by Agnodice - 01-26-2016, 10:09 PM
RE: A House of Memories - by Tiamat - 01-28-2016, 08:46 PM
RE: A House of Memories - by Kodiak - 01-29-2016, 09:15 PM