the Rift

[OPEN] A Peaceful Refuge [welcoming]

Elspeth Posts: 40
Absent Abyss
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 hh :: 7 years
Sarah
Elspeth
I took full advantage of Zandora’s pregnancy and my complete state of exhaustion to take as many breaks as I could and to set an easy pace. Had he been able to, I was sure that Calder might have preferred for us to move a little faster, if only so that his own strides might come easier, but the stag didn’t seem to be one prone to complaining about such things. There was some small talk between us, but the trip was mostly spent in silence. I was incredibly curious about everywhere we passed, everyone we saw, but I didn’t have the energy to ask the questions building up in my mind never mind actually put them into words.

And I quickly discovered just how damn big this Helovia place was.

The climate made a noticeable shift as we travelled further north and I caught myself drifting closer to my companions on occasion - the instinct for body warmth at war with my wariness for these near-strangers. I still couldn’t say that I absolutely trusted this pair but we had made it across the land and to their home without incident. Every time I caught myself driving toward one of them, I’d quickly adjust my stride and avoid eye contact - my cheeks burning whenever it had been Calder. Hardly a rational response but I blamed it on my exhaustion. I had been on-edge for so long and now I was utterly worn out.

When it got to the point where I was staring at my hooves, focusing intently on making my legs moved, I decided I had probably been walking for far too long. I fumbled to a stop, my golden eyes looking around at the mountainous terrain and sincerely hoping that we weren’t going to have to do any climbing to get to where we were going. “Are we almost there?” I asked timidly, not wanting to complain but feeling the tremble in my limbs that told me whether or not we were close to the Basin, I was likely going to collapse soon and would not be moving from that resting spot.  
give me the sun that shone
Image Credit
table by Sevin

@Calder
@Zandora
@Rexanna
<33

Zandora Posts: 85
Outcast atk: 7.0 | def: 10 | dam: 3.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15 HH :: 7 years HP: 60.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Evara :: Black Leopard :: None ShadowMare
Zandora
I already know I'm going to hell
so at this points
it's go big or go home

Zandora feels proud, but completely and entirely regretful. The walk was taking it's toll on her and as did it seem as well on the quite mare. The foal within her caused her feet to be sore, and constant pain wove through her barrel as it twisted and turned inside of her. Surely this was a sign that she shouldn't leave the Basin for such trips like this one. But like the stubborn, strong-willed creature she was, she had, and the physical strains would remind her next time she decided to go wondering about. 

Elspeth kept very quiet, their words passing between all of them being nothing more then the absolute minimum necessary. Zandora filled her in on the basics, but was aware that it could've just gone straight through her ears, opting to save it for another time. She had assumed that this mare had been drained, and if silence was what she wanted while she recollected herself and her pieces, Zandora had no problem offering her that. Not to mention the creature inside her kept occupying most of her thoughts, so for the mares, it was a win win. 

Her nostrils are reminded of home when the frozen aroma drifts to her, the crisp scent welcoming and ever soothing despite the prickles of the cold air. Her ears turn as Elspeth questions their closeness, her head nodding as she assures her the journey was almost over. "Yes, the sentinels which are our herds guards are just above the hill. Our herd leaders will meet us there for official acceptance. Welcome to the Aurora Basin."

OCC: yeet

Image Credits!
[Image: 56a075b49df35]
No restrictions on things that can happen to Zandora, please tag in first posts only.

Calder Posts: 23
Absent Abyss atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1hh :: 6 (Birdsong) HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Kiki

- - C A L D E R - -
hold back the river

Calder had no problem with the slower pace on the way back up to the Basin.  The very last thing that he wanted to do was to hurry them along and put them under more stress.  Instead, he was content to match his step to theirs and keep a weary eye out in case a threat should arise.  He had meant it when he said that no harm would come to Elspeth, could he help it, and he’d be dammed if he let any harm come to Zandora either.  Though the purple mare was the soldier of the bunch, he couldn’t imagine it would be much fun trying to fight off much of anything as pregnant as she was.  So he kept an eye on the trees and on the shadows – making sure that nothing was amiss that would threaten their little party of nearly four.

There wasn’t much in the way of small talk, which suited Calder just fine.  He had other ways of amusing himself on the trek north.  Watching the different expressions flick across Elspeth’s face as she traveled the unknowns of Helovia was certainly entertaining – but he did in a way so as not to garner too much attention.  Every now and then she’d catch him and he’d just offer her a quick smile and do his best to act nonchalant, but he wondered each time if he’d be found out.  He imagined his face was much the same when he’d first journeyed from the Threshold into the interior of Helovia.  Everything about this place was foreign to him, just as it now was to her.

“Aye, Lass. Almost,” he said, reassuringly, just as Zandora pointed out the sentinels and described the specifics and formalities to come.  Calder was just as thankful to see the border as the mares he was traveling with seemed to be.  He’d feel much better when everyone was safe inside the Basin.  Though it was evident that both Zandora and Elspeth were strong in all meanings of the word, there were signs that the trip may be taking its toll.  “Once we’ve made it past the border I’d imagine ye both would enjoy a nice long rest. Only a wee bit longer.  I’m sure someone will have spotted us already so we shouldn’t be held up long by the border.”

Calder imagined that Elspeth may be wary of the giant metal beasts, especially after her reaction to the magic they had seen in the Threshold.  Calder casually stepped closer and lowered his voice, whispering in the mare’s ear. “Dinna worry about the sentinels, lass.  I dinna think they work but they make a nice landmark if ye ever get lost in the snow,” he managed, conspiratorially, offering the exhausted mare a wink before turning his gaze back to the border to see if they’d been noticed. 

image credit
Please tag Calder in all posts.
Force & magic are permitted but please check before inflicting severe and/or permanent damage.
Pixel by Sourful

Rexanna Posts: 499
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 7 years HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Marembo :: Marbled Polecat :: None Skylark
rexanna
I had a dream you were two towns from me —
Towering statues, that’s how it appeared to Rexanna. Passing by the Sentinels to check on the prisoner that Ashamin and her had brought to the Basin. It was difficult for the Thief to understand what the Basin needed with an actual being but nevertheless, she did what she was told. She always did what she was told. Whether it was how she was raised or other events in her life would be yet to discover. All she knew was that she was raised to make sure others were happy. Pretending that her own happiness wasn’t even a matter. She was growing tired and exhausted of the same old thing, doing duties to serve the herd that she wasn’t even sure she was really welcome in anymore. The looks and glances she had received due to bearing a child for the Haruspex was more than enough to cause the Golden Thief to want to sleep for a million years.

If it weren’t for that bright golden face to wake up to, she might have. Rein was really the one person she was even fighting for anymore. Had it not been for Rein she might have just crawled back to where she came from, figuring she had broken enough hearts here. Tembovu often flashed into her mind paired with a bout of guilt that seemed to flame within her. She decided that one day, perhaps making amends would be necessary. At least for her wellbeing, regardless if the Elephant King would even want to hear from her after what she had done.

Regardless, the mistress’ attention was dragged from whatever thoughts floated into her head to the entry to the borders. A curious blue gleam caught her eye as she spotted three creatures. Two that looked vaguely familiar to her from the distance she was. Heaving a bit of a sigh of relief from having to go and visit the creature that seemed so strange, she happily picked up her pace. Trotting to the entrance, recognizing Zandora and her wonderfully pregnant belly and briefly thanking the gods that the Thief was no longer pregnant, she dipped her crown to the ebony purple mare. Then she took note of Calder, smiling to him she offered the same. Then, her blue gaze landed on a newcomer. One that smelt quite strongly of the wilderness. The Thief offered the newcomer a smile just as bright as the others before clearing her throat.

Zandora, Calder, it’s a pleasure to see you two again.” She nodded to them as she spoke their names, then her gaze landed on the pale mare. “Hello! I’m Rexanna. Who might you be?” Her voice chimed to the mare while her soft gaze watched her curiously, studying the mare with a curiosity to her horns. They weren’t like Calder’s with a large heavy rack, nor were they like Zandora’s and her own, pointed spirals planted in the middle of their skulls. Rexanna wouldn’t judge, though. For she had seen much more interesting beasts within her days. Though the mare was still curious to see what she could offer her home.

"Talk."
— got to sleep,
spent the whole night running.
image credits

@Elspeth @Zandora @Calder
[Image: lovelyskylark.gif?8]
Permission given for moderate power play.
Feel free to use magic/force on Rexanna, without killing her.
Please tag in every post!

Absent Abyss
Sarah
Elspeth
My wariness about the sentinels must have been plain on my face (a regrettable habit of mine) or perhaps Calder had an uncanny ability to read minds.  Just as I was thinking about how I didn’t like the look of those giant metal horses he was whispering to me to not mind them and I laughed quietly at the mention of using them as a landmark in the snow. “Good to know. Have you gotten lost often?” The corner of my mouth twitched as I teased him. After having travelled across Helovia with this pair, I had started to feel at ease around them. Not enough to say that I absolutely trusted them, but we had got here without incident, had we not?

Just then, we’re approached by someone and my head whipped toward the sound of someone approaching. The laughter and twist of a smile from a few moments ago disappeared and I take a few steps backward as I watch this new mare approach.

“Holy shit.” The exclamation was made under my breath but probably not quiet enough to escape everyone’s notice. But she was golden! Beautiful, as Zandora was - in an otherworldly sort of way, and I wondered if this Helovia, the Basin, was populated by fairies. We had heard stories of such lands but they were surrounded by mystery - herds of brightly coloured horses that would snatch away pretty mares, that would leave their babes in place of stolen foals.

Not for the first (or last) time, I wondered where I had found myself. I quickly adverted my golden eyes from Rexanna so that I wasn’t staring so blatantly at her. I hoped only Calder heard my words, since he was the closest too me, and felt a rush of embarrassment that this was how I was greeting someone that could very well be one of the leaders that Zandora had mentioned would come greet us.

Praying that Rexanna hadn’t heard I quickly step forward and offer her the best smile I could despite how utterly strange this day had been. “My name’s Elspeth, Zandora and Calder here were kind enough to offer the Basin as a…” I stumbled on the word home because I wasn’t ready to believe that could be possible. I wasn’t sure whether this place could be that for me. “I’m new to Helovia and they welcomed me.” I finished, somewhat awkwardly, uncertain of how to go about this entire exchange. Did we need to ask permission to enter? I look over to my companions, hoping they would know how to take it from here.  
Image Credit
table by Sevin

rexanna
The Thief’s gaze landed on the mare as the newcomer exclaimed her curiosities of her. The smile never faltered, though. It was a new event to add to her list – surprising someone by her appearance (and not in a sexual way). She pretended not to hear it for the newcomer’s sake. Even still, her fluted ears perked to her as she averted her gaze as to not look directly in the Thief’s deep blue gaze and instead paused, moving forward toward her and smiled as bright as could be. The Thief dipped her golden crown once again, briefly before Elspeth began to speak. Yet her sentence ended abruptly and she quickly changed her words, speaking of being new to Helovia and such. Rexanna nodded gently.

It’s a pleasure Elspeth.” She began, shifting her weight so her golden hip poked out slightly in a more relaxed pose. “If it is a home that you seek, we would be glad to take you. I trust Calder and Zandora’s judgements. With that in mind and a home to return to, is there any skills you can offer for the Basin?” She questioned, tilting her head slightly. After a second, she realized she should probably explain that she wasn’t a lead and let a giggle escape her cream maw. “Ah, forgive me. I’m the lead Thief here. I believe the leads are busy attending to their Leady matters? We’ll just go with that.” She paused, another laugh escaping as she paired it with a wink to Elspeth.

Don’t feel the need to decide right now, there’s plenty of time to find out what you’d be interested in. We do get those that are curious about following interests right off the bat, though.” She nodded again, flicking her dual toned tail across the snowy Basin floor, patiently waiting for Elspeth to speak.

"Talk."
— got to sleep,
image credits

@Elspeth

Absent Abyss
Sarah
Elspeth
I wrongly assumed that Rexanna’s approval meant that we would be whisked into the Basin and I would be free to sleep. Although I was grateful for her acceptance of Calder and Zandora’s judgement - even muttering a soft  “Thank you.” - I was dismayed to be faced with more conversation. Which was unfortunate all around - Rexanna seemed very kind and I was powerfully curious about everything she said - but this just wasn’t the damn time for all of that!

Still, I did my very best to smile through the exhaustion and to pay attention to everything that she said. The question about what skills I had to offer took me by surprise - I glance to Calder and Zandora for confirmation that this was normal. Would I be admitted if I had none? “I have some skills as a healer using herbs.” That had been, after all, what had turned me from a slave used for breeding to one with a purpose. It was once a skill I enjoyed using, when I had the freedom to do so. But beyond that… what skills could I possibly have that would be of a benefit to them? “I’m afraid I don’t know much about what the options are…” More uncertainty as I trailed off - we hadn’t gotten to that part of the recruitment, it would seem. It sounded as though they all had jobs - which would certainly be refreshing to see after the chaos after the last month. It seemed as though I had a lot to learn about the Basin - how Rexanna was a lead but not one of the leads confused me greatly. She appeared to have some sort of power and certainly had the respect of the pair I was standing with.

Of course, the more I was trying to sort it all out in my head the thicker my head felt - I lowered it and shook my head to keep myself awake, to keep myself focused. I feared if we stood here talking much longer I would fall asleep on the doorstep instead of inside what had been promised to be a well guarded herdland. “Would it....” I hate that I don’t know the protocol, don’t know if I’m being rude, but then I quickly decide that I don’t care if I’m being rude and I hope that Rexanna will understand. Though, again, I’m not sure if in this moment if I care whether she does - though I suspect I will care after I sleep. “I would love to hear more about the ranks but I feel like I might collapse any moment. It’s… it’s been a long year.” I couldn’t remember the last time I had a decent sleep or even a decent meal except for what we had stopped for on the way up here.  
Image Credit
table by Sevin

@Rexanna

rexanna
She listened dutifully as she let Elspeth speak. She spoke her thank you’s and her experience as a healer. Rexanna nodded along the way, showing her with both her fluted ears and attention that she was listening to the newcomer. She spoke of her uncertainty in knowing what the ranks are and as Rexanna parted her lips to speak, she noticed that she had lowered her head, shaking it. Of course the trek to the Basin was nothing easy, so Rexanna understood her tiredness. She wasn’t sure how many breaks they had taken from wherever they came from, but she understood exhaustion. She felt it more so now than ever, having a child and all.

The Thief clamped her lips shut, listening as she continued and wished to learn more of them later after she had slept some. The golden mare nodded, smiling a bit brighter. “Yes, of course. There’s no rush. If you find something that strikes your fancy we can definitely get you situated. As of now, we reside mostly in caves. I’d offer you to stay in mine but I don’t think you’d want to be woken up by a child ever few hours.” A wink escaped the mare with a gentle chime of a giggle surpassing her lips. “Perhaps Calder and Zandora can help you look for one. If you need anything, I’ll be around – just come and find me! Feel free to explore when you get rested. Again, welcome.” She spoke softly, trying to put all of her words into a swift enough response to her so that Elspeth could sleep. With that, she flicked her tail briefly, allowing time for a response from the mare if she were to have one before turning to return to her duties.

She figured Elspeth could find her way around, she seemed strong enough. That was all the Thief needed to know. She was adorned with adorable little budding horns as well, which made it all the easier to accept the kind mare into the herd. She hoped that she had been doing the right thing with accepting people in the Basin in the place of her Lords and Lady (still unknown to her that Thranduil had left).

"Talk."
— got to sleep,
image credits

@Elspeth