the Rift

Ignore the Cold, It's Just a Feeling [Sandman]

Rowan Posts: 76
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: 3 Years 4 Months
Brit

Sand. Ocean. All signs of the beach that would normally draw to mind warmth and summer days. Now, the water was colder than the breath of the reaper and the sand was frosted in some places. Sea birds and the like dotted the water and beach in small teams or alone, scavenging for food. Among them walks a dainty, rather small mare. They scatter as she approaches, and she gives a soft smile at their squabbling and squawking. Indignant that she interrupt their daily routines. Prints of her hooves are left behind in the sand, still soft and loose despite frostfall's influence. Rowan heads toward the water, tired of exploring the strip of land. The birds quiet their screeching as she leaves their vicinity and she has the urge to roll her eyes. Instead she relishes the abscence of screeching, and wonders if she should test the water.

The decision seems nice but she knows she will hesitate should the water be too cold. Rowan sighs at herself and strides purposefully into the white foamed body of water. The shock of cold is enough to make her gasp and shiver but she presses on. She does not head any deeper once it barely touches her belly, knowing her body heat will be sapped much too fast. She walks, sometimes lifting her legs to swim when the sand dips down too low. No longer is she alert to other souls, merely enjoying the freezing dip. Sometimes stopping to inspect a thing or two that cycles her attention, smile soft and blue eyes happy. Golden white tail drifts behind her on the water like a shimmering trail and her bodice darkens more as she is splashed by the waves.

The beach is long and will not end soon, and Rowan is content with examining and playing. Never uttering a sound. Defenseless as she is, it doesn't cross her mind. Rowan has always been naive, but all she can feel is the water and the peace in her heart.

Sandman Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Sandman
There's something I'm not revealing...

The beach is cold, colder than the stallion had hoped. He had thought that perhaps the strip of beach might hold some warmth, even with Frostfall’s icy clutch on the earth, but if anything the wind blowing off of the vast expanse of ocean brings an extra chill to this place. Sandman might have left, but the feel of sand beneath his hooves is soothing, a reminder of his birthplace, even if the temperatures are opposite. His breath fogs in the frigid air, sending soft plumes of white trailing behind him for a moment before dissipating. Strong legs carry him at an easy trot, disturbing a flock of birds who squawk at him reproachfully before settling themselves upon the dunes once again.

Boredom causes the draft beast to cast his eyes about for any form of amusement. A moment later he spotted a golden equine out among the waves. Odd, that anyone would choose to swim now. The water must be absolutely freezing. He altered his path to carry him nearer to the blue wetness, carefully keeping himself beyond the point where waves lapped onto the land. He had no desire to test the ocean’s temperature, already chilled despite his thick pelt.

Head raised and released a low bugle, announcing his presence to the other horse, a mare if he were to judge by what little he could see of her build. Hooves shifted restlessly against the loose grains under them as he pondered how to act if the femme approached. He decided rapidly on his disguise, and once again turned his attention to the lady, waiting to see how things would play out.

OOC:Sorry if posts are slow, I'm eating dinner atm
Walking the walk
Talking the talk
Thinking my thoughts

Ricochet the Incendiary Posts: 133
Deceased
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.2 hands :: 5 years Buff: BULK
Blu

The sound of snow crunching underfoot was a delightful noise to stallion and dog as they romped through the fields with a game of chase. Ricochet would charge after Guns for a while, fore limbs lifting to trample the mutt, when the lead would suddenly shift and Ricochet would be streaking off with sharp teeth threatening at his heels.

Only when a tongue lolled out with heavy panting and steam billowed off the buttermilk body did the pair slow and stop. Breathless they grinned into winter.

In this freshly exhausted manner they came upon the beach. With legs limber and minds euphoric they were not as sharp as they should have been, and it was not until the stallion called out that they both turned, attentive. Ricochet snapped into focus, teal eyes skipping over the gray sea and her pale foam to spy on the two bodies mixed up on the shore. Guns released a greeting bark before streaking off like a monochrome shadow, fleeting and low. Ricochet's head flung and shook at this, exasperated at the dog's energetic intrusions, but following at a lofty jog all the same.

Gun's glee could only mean, equines.

Hope flared like hot fire in his gut and an excited welcoming whinny shivered from his nose as fog when he neared them. The dog went bounding into the surf to swim with the mare, snorting at the waves when they threatened to over take him and seemingly impervious to the cold. Less inclined to be damp Ricochet sidled closer to the stallion, gaze briefly assessing the muscular fellow before watching the mare and mutt with a wistful gleam. "Hello," he murmured to the stud with a casual ease, left hip cocking in conversation. For a while silence stretched on as Ricochet was content to watch, but eventually he shook his head. The movement cast a haze of forelock against his scarred face. His eyelashes blinked against it as he turned his attention back to the stud. "They must both be mad."

Deceased
Brit

It was worse than freezing beneath the water. It felt as though ice was piercing deep within Rowan's muscles. Yet as she continued, it was no longer quite so violent. She could remove herself from the pain, if she concentrated hard enough. As she danced away from the waves she found a smile stretching her lips. Rearing lightly and springing forth into the waves and over them. One did not need wings to feel as if they were flying, she found herself thinking. A bugle from the sand caught her off guard and she let out a shocked noise as her grip wavered and she flailed briefly. Laughing softly in embarrassment though she knew this newcomer could not hear. Soon after, as she was turning, another sound split the air. A curious noise. Now fully turned she saw a speeding mass of blacks and whites, and realized it was another's bonded animal. Pyr appeared in her thoughts and the happiness on the creatures face told her he was no threat. Whinnying at him playfully in return as he leapt into the water to join her. Prancing away from him, daring him to chase her.

Finally remembering the stallions on the shore, the chocolate dame trotted away from the freezing water and found herself shivering as the air touched her coat. Wondering which stud the playful creature belonged to. Stance nervous as she approached. The opposite gender was one big blank spot to her, as Rowan had hardly any experience with them."A-Ah...hello there. I-I'm Rowan." Soft voice trembling amd stuttering shyly. Giving a tiny smile, feeling rather intimidated. They both towered over her slight frame, the lighter painted stallion especially. But she had no reason to think unkindly of them, and so her smile was warm if a bit hesitant. Was she doing this right?

Blue eyes drifted to the little creature again and she giggled. "He is...a-a very playful thing. What brings y-you here?" Hoping they would not tease her for her stutter. It would disappear once she was a little more comfortable, not so nervous. Innocent eyes switching between the larger equines curiously. Suddenly getting the notion that she was possibly being rude. Was it proper to ask? Would they be offended or think she was prying? Feeling a little overwhelmed to be faced with two at once, her open expressive face betraying her every thought. Why should she guard it? Rowan had never met a bad soul, though Prometheus was a bit terrifying to her. The little girl shivered at the memory of his face and abilities, how his deadened form had looked. Internally shaking away the memory to instead return her thoughts to the two before her.

Unregistered

Sandman

The femme stumbled at his call, and Sandman felt a quick flash of regret. He hadn’t meant to startle the smaller mare. A sharp bark drew his attention, followed by a streak of black and white that resolved itself into the form of a dog. The mutt paid him no attention however, instead charging out into the waves to play with the dame. A whinny sounded from someplace to his side, and the chestnut stallion turned his head to watch the approach of another stag. The dunskin at least showed some sense, choosing to remain near him, safely out of reach from the cold water. He nodded at the greeting, but remained silent. Some time later the scarred creature spoke again, earning a smile. “They must both be mad.”

“Indeed. That water has to be freezing.” He noticed the dark fae had finally grown tired of the ocean and was drawing near to where he and the other stud stood. She spoke, stuttering slightly, though he was unsure if it was due to nerves or chill. “Sandman,” he returned, finding no reason not to offer his name to these strangers. Her question caused him to emit a soft chuckle. “I had hoped that there might be some warmth to be found here. That’s not the case, obviously, but I find that the trip was worthwhile anyway.” Crown moved to face the other steed, hoping to draw him into the conversation as well. “How about you? Any particular reason for coming to the beach?”

OOC:
Walking the walk
Talking the talk
Thinking my thoughts

Deceased
Blu

For a moment Ricochet feared she might go under as he watched her flailing about. He hoped desperately his dog was not one to blame. The mutt was liable to drown anything with its paddling paws out there, seemingly oblivious to the air requirements of others.

There'd be no need for slow motion running down the beach today however, both mare and dog arose safely from the surf. While Rowan was busying her tongue the collie took the opportunity to roll in the sand, thoroughly dirtying himself, though it seemed to give him an unearthly euphoria.
Ricochet ignored him.

The mare's tones were a stuttering lapse that had Ricochet furrowing his 'brow. He'd assumed she would have been a very hardy mare; he couldn't imagine a delicate one swimming in this season. Yet if she had an inner strength it seemed gone now, swallowed by her nerves and apprehension. That it was over their gender escaped the stallion who'd only ever viewed mares as naturally weaker and all stallions as inevitable opponents. It was a pity though, he thought. He'd been hoping for one with a bit more stuff to her.

Maybe he'd get to see more of the Rowan that would brave the seas once she settled.

"I'm Ricochet, the Incendiary," he began after Sandman had spoken his name. He was nearly cut short however as the collie came loping over and centered himself between the three horses. With tongue lolling, plastered in sand Ricochet noticed with a disgust that had him rasping his own tongue on the back of his teeth, Guns proceeded to shake. Grime and water alike flung in every direction, stirring an outraged protest from Ricochet as he tried to fling his head away from the splash zone.

"GUNS" he hollered, effectively introducing his companion. The scoundrel seemed appeased and trotted off down the length of the beach, nose pressed to the sand.

Teal eyes sheepishly looked between the pair, Ricochet feeling like a young colt guilty of some crime again. "Sorry," he mumbled, tail flicking over his rump in an anxious twitch. Sandman managed to change topic however, something Ricochet was grateful for, at least until it was turned upon him.

"I got the wandering itch, " Ricochet confessed, it being as much of a truth as anything else. That he was hoping to escape the unbearable existence of his home that was overrun with unicorn and pegasus was not a topic he wanted to delve into, at least, not so early. "I come from the Windtossed Foothills herd, but a beach like this reminds me of an older home I knew." Ricochet let his gaze wander as his voice trailed away.

Deceased
Brit

The fears Rowan had melted away as the palomino male spoke. A lilting smile appeared, relieved. She was over thinking things again it seemed. This was a comfort to her and she relaxed, no longer feeling afraid. They both seemed kind, so she found no point in being nervous. Rather delighted when she came to this conclusion, as she was more of a jubilant soul than her shy persona. Rowan was grateful that her shyness was small, or she could never be herself. Sandman's comment on warmth had her giving a soft snort, not offensive merely agreeing. "It is rather cold, a shame the beach has also suffered. Yet I find that anything can be overcome if you will it away. I have no use for pain, so why focus on it when you can just as easily ignore it? Pain is a silly thing that keeps us from doing what we enjoy because the thought of it is not appealing to us. I despise that. That's why I still swim this season." Smiling pleasantly, happy that her stutter vanished. Now, though, she was exposing her past and also feared they would find her strange for finding pain a mere inconvenience. Rowan grew up in a harsh wasteland with no herd. Pain was always there in different forms. She had learned to block it out years ago. Realizing she was distracted she turned to hear the other male speak. Intrigued by his name and sighing at yet another thing she hadn't encountered. Even if she had wanted to reply, they were interrupted by the dog shaking a mess of water and muddy sand onto their coats. Rowan jerked back instinctively but laughed anyways. "It's quite alright, Ricochet. Dirt has never hurt anybody." Watching the dog, 'Guns' apparently, with an amused smile.

Dark teal eyes turned back to Ricochet as he continued to explain why he was there. "Hmmm...I admit that the same urge has taken me here. I am not yet comfortable in my own herd, I have never seen winged or horned equines before. I needed to collect my thoughts after a rather...frightening encounter." Thoughts returning to Prometheus and Kri's fight. Grimacing and shaking her head.

Sandman had not spoken much and she looked up at him curiously. "Are you within a herd?" He seemed quite friendly, though she had only just met him. Rowan blew out a soft breath and regarded them both for a short while. "You'll have to excuse me. I have never really met any stallions before...if I come off wrong I apologize." Figuring she might as well warn them now.

Unregistered

Sandman

The mare’s words were strange, not something many would say. Who found it easy to simply push pain away besides warriors? Then again, perhaps the small lady was indeed a fighter. True, she didn’t look the part, but Sandman knew all too well how deceiving appearances could be. Ricochet’s pet briefly interrupted them then, deciding to shake the water from his coat while standing in the middle of their group. The dog’s antics barely phased the draft beast, his only reaction being to angle his skull away from the flying water. He was tall enough that most of it splattered against his chest, leaving neck and head dry besides a few stray droplets. Might as well get used to it, since he would soon be requesting a canine companion of his own, though he wished for a coyote instead of their more domestic relatives.

He merely listened for a time after starting the discussion again, content to stand back and listen while the other two spoke. Both belonged to herds it would seem, though Ricochet must have been wandering for a while, as Sandman couldn’t detect the scent of any others on his coat. Well, he could relate to that, having never been comfortable staying in one place either. Rowen seemed more the herd type to him, though she confessed her discomfort with the unicorns and pegasi who roamed this land. The chestnut had only met his first unicorn a few days ago, though he had left the creature scrambling to survive after inadvertently galloping out onto a thin sheet of ice and breaking the fragile barrier between himself and water cold enough to kill.

A query pulled him from his reverie, Rowen asking if he belonged to a herd as well. Massive skull shook slightly in a negative, a rueful expression on his face. “I’m afraid I’ve never gotten along well with authority figures. I find the path of the outcast to be much more to my liking, though it can get lonely from time to time. I’d rather be alone than following orders from a leader I hardly know and have no reason to respect.” Another moment of silence followed before the femme spoke again, apologizing if she came off wrong. “Not to worry dear, you’re doing wonderfully.” He lightly nudged her shoulder in reassurance.

OOC:
Walking the walk
Talking the talk
Thinking my thoughts

Deceased
Blu

It is a kindness that they take his dog's antics so lightly. Too often are nerves unsettled and teeth bared at small, harmless offenses such as those. Too many withers seemed not made of bone, but bowed necks that festered with humility, slights and insecurities. The lines on faces are usually taut with a grim shadow than a wrinkle of laughter and forgiveness.

Ricochet smiled with relief.

The mare's nervousness improves with their banter and inwardly Ricochet appraises this growth. He begins to see once more the brave soul powering through the icy sea and he wills to maintain that courage and strength. He is drawn to all equines and will gladly protect any of them that would have it, but he could only make use of those able enough to protect themselves and stand beside him, rather than beneath him.

She surprises him, and the other stallion it would seem, with her confession of pain tolerance. Teal eyes widen on a scarred face as Ricochet nearly leans forward in his attempt to inspect and understand her further. His maw is slightly slack jaw in awe and his heart quivers with a new hunger for her. She is no silly filly after all.

"Will is mighty, but it is too easily broken with temptation, or so I have noticed." Ricochet murmured, tail hairs swaying over his hocks in thought on the matter. "It is an impressive thing to find one so solid," he smiled as he praised her, though it was a crooked thing. The left half of his face was a ruin of burn marks and battle scars. It pained to move with either happiness or spite, so he chose to save the energy and the agony for the latter, when his teeth needed showing in lieu of his ears falling.

It reminded him of the strength of his will. Perhaps he did not have the capabilities to ignore pain as easily as she, but he did not stray from his resolve, even in the face of dragon flame washing his eyes and stealing his breath. He would conquer all opposition and arise victorious, consequences be damned.

The topic shifted to the palomino as he gave truth to his wandering hooves. Ricochet glanced intently at the stud, though his features gave away nothing of his thoughts but genuine intrigue. "And if you should know and respect the lead?" the Incendiary lets the query hang in the air, charged with subtle fascination and promise. If you had a purpose, what could you accomplish? The brute certainly had the build of a warrior and the calm attitude of one that could be well trained and skilled. Yet if the force could not be reckoned with by way of command, then it was nothing more than squandered potential.

An outcast was a waste of a horse in Ricochet's opinion, too lost to their own devices and unable to cause a shift in any tide, they would merely dissolve to dust when the died, giving no meaning to the shit or the semen they spilled on the earth they walked across. Could Ricochet seize that loss and make it worth something? He hoped so.

Rowan's next choice of words had Ricochet's head turning back to her, features muddled with slight confusion and once again, interest. Whatever her birth place must have been, he was sure it was something fantastic. "Were there no stallions in your home land?" That she should live to such an age with little to no interaction with stallions truly puzzled the dunskin that had always been among both genders in equal part. She never knew her father then, he assumed. Did she even have a father, he wondered with childish mystery...

Deceased
Brit

The surprise is evident on their faces but Rowan knows she cannot take back what has already been said. She fondly remembers Feyther's wild concern over her skinned knees and scraped hide from scuffling with the colts they passed in other wandering herds. Ah those were the days. Long before the old mare removed her from such company no matter how brief. Had tamed her until he was a complacent, calm mare. Sometimes she missed being that wild spitfire but she also liked who she was now. Ricochet was the first to speak, Sandman never uttering a word and instead appraising her silently. Cyan eyes danced from his solid form to the other stallion as he spoke. "Thank you. Though I've yet to meet too many others, I can mostly agree with you on that point." Many strong independent mares had been lured away with whispers of power, love, and other such fancies. Rowan knew one day she would seek love and perhaps magic from the Gods, but she hoped to never change and remain true to herself. After all who wanted to fall in love with a completely different person than who they were?

Ricochet had the face of a battle hardened warrior, but Rowan was not squeamish or pitying. Merely smiling back. To her it symbolized strength, determination. Scars were beautiful if they were gathered for the right reasons. Distracted- no that wasn't the right word. Perhaps attracted?- to Sandman once again as he spoke truthfully of his outcast status. Nodding her head as her forelock splashed white gold momentarily in her vision. "I was thinking of becoming a loner, but I had no knowledge of this land. Protection is another benefit; I cannot defend myself against flying equines or those with sharp horns that I have never encountered. It was not a pleasing thought, as I would surely be at a disadvantage not knowing how to fight them. You are brave, Sandman, to take on the role that I could not." Smiling up at him in admiration. Accepting the playful nudge and laughing, muzzle brushing his in thanks. Withdrawing, pleasantly flustered by his actions.

Though Ricochet had asked a question, she spoke in reply to his comforting assurances. "Thank you Sandman. You are very kind." Keeping lilting tones thankful with a touch of embarrassed shyness. Turning as Ricochet asked a question pertaining to the same subject. Eyes going a little cold at the memories. "My wretched mother abandoned me as a filly. We were outcasts, and I never knew my father. A kind old mare took me in, but she too was a wanderer. When we did come across other groups, we never stayed long and I was much too busy defending my pride against the larger colts with my hooves and teeth to care to find out what gender had to do with anything." Laughing softly at the kinder memories that surfaced as she continued. Rowan much preferred those over the reminisces of her mother disappearing.

OOC: I am SO sorry ;-; my wifi crashed!

Unregistered

Sandman

“And if you should know and respect the lead?” The words themselves were innocent enough, but the tone of the colt’s voice gave it another meaning. Ricochet was not just curious, but rather was seeking something, hoping for a certain answer. Sandman’s opinion of the young dunskin rose slightly, appreciating the subtle approach. He reminded the draft steed of Guenhwyvar, a Friesian stallion that had been his travelling companion for several years. Guen had also been a lord of suggestion, of saying one thing and meaning another. Dark eyes regarded the other stag for a moment before he replied, carefully keeping his answer neutral. “If I found someone worth following, I’m certain I could make myself useful.” What are you thinking, colt? What cause do you wish me to join? He would keep his guard up around this one. If more information was offered, if Sandman found the plot to be amusing enough, then maybe Ricochet could gain an ally.

Rowan was speaking again, and Sandman once again directed his attention to the small mare. Her praise pleased him, and the smile she gave him told the stallion that he was earning her trust and perhaps even her affections. He ducked his head in a modest way, not wanting to appear too proud. “It’s nothing really. I’ve found in most cases that if you treat others right, they’ll treat you the same way. Just don’t give them any reason to attack you.” Her muzzle drifted over his, another signal that perhaps the mare herself was unaware of. But the beast knew, and immediately began processing information, wondering just what to do with this sweet fae if he could gain her complete trust. If he could make her care about him.

A query from Ricochet distracted her, asking if her former lands had lacked stallions. It was a silly question, but Sandman found himself wondering as well. How else would she have so little experience with males? Words flowed from the femme, a condensed version of her life, and he listened attentively, storing away the information. It was somewhat similar to his own, at first anyway, and he wondered if he could use that later to strengthen her feelings for him.

“That must have been difficult for you, never being able to settle with a herd and make friends.” Voice was sympathetic, eyes focused on Rowan, but slightly more attention was actually turned towards Ricochet. The dunskin had been quiet, and Sandman was still intrigued by whatever it was that the steed had hinted at earlier. It didn’t seem like he wanted to announce his plans, not yet anyway, but the draft knew how to wait. Once they had spoken more perhaps he would feel comfortable enough to reveal his intentions.

OOC:
Walking the walk
Talking the talk
Thinking my thoughts

Deceased
Blu

Rowan's voice did not appear in response to his praise. He was slightly disappointed, having a true fascination in understanding more of what enabled her to withstand pain so well, it could prove a useful to train himself in.

Instead she let her words, and her eyes, coat the other stallion at his side. For a mare so unaccustomed to stallions she certainly took to them fast enough. A smirk gradually crawled its way onto Ricochet's lips as he witnessed the manner in which she nearly leaned into Sandman, who was more than willing to be the gentleman and hold her up, so to say. Ricochet would get little accomplished if they were both too busy with thoughts churning in their groins.

Sandman's interest in his query sparked hope in Ricochet's breast, nodding respectively at the response given. He would certainly have to meet this stallion again, but another time, another place. Now would not be ideal, not for either of them.

In the midst of Rowan telling a bit of her backstory, Guns came streaking along the beach. Ricochet's attention flashed down to the dog, catching each other's eyes before breaking apart. Suddenly his body was more tense, more ready, his casual stance dissipated in preparation to depart.

"Our pasts are so key in defining our future. Often the terrible shadows of our mind lend us the greatest strength... or the biggest weaknesses. I see strength in you though Rowan." He smiled towards her before granting his eyes to Sandman as well, a suggestion that Ricochet found strength in him as well. "For now I must leave you my friends. I hope I might see you again in a different sun's shine. I am in the Foothills, should you ever wish to find me." Ricochet had began to step away with slow, sideways movements. As he nodded to each and completely bowed out of their grouping to follow his dog to other matters, he tossed a comment back over his shoulder before shifting into a ground-eating lope.

"Enjoy!"

Deceased
Brit

As many things happened for Rowan, something in her gut had her taking a second look at Ricochet. Not quite understanding the amused smirk that lingered on his face. Somehow she felt she should be insulted, but that too had empty reasoning. He was an enigma, and Rowan had always enjoyed puzzles. That's why she had assumed the position of Scholar. She had to know things; know everything. Yet this stallion was cunning and quick minded. Rowan analyzed him silently, though she listened as Sandman spoke. Swearing to herself she would find out what he was hinting at when speaking to Sandman. It intrigued her so. Finally turning back to the larger stallion, knowing she must reply or seem inept in conversation. "That's a very good philosophy to live by." Nodding her head a little as she agreed wholeheartedly with it. Smiling a little when he ducked his head though he had no reason to do so. She had not expected his sympathy, as she had never spoken enough of it to receive such a reaction. But it seemed he could relate to it and so she did not allow herself to be offended by mistaking it for pity. "It was. But I wouldn't have it any other way or I would not be standing on this shore today." She had long ago accepted the path behind her and aimed only to make the one before her better.

From down the beach the bullet of a dog returned, and Rowan watched the comunication with curiosity. It was an almost intimate exchange, and she found herself feeling obtrusive and invasive by simply watching it happen. His compliment had her smiling brightly with a twinge of modesty. "Thank you, Ricochet. And I see it within you in return." Speaking only the truth. He seemed a true warrior and she respected that. His parting words inflicted a slight sadness within her that showed upon her face. "Travel well, Ricochet. Perhaps we will cross paths again." Knowing within herself that she would seek him out. The challenge had been presented to her and she wouldn't be able to forget about it now. Watching as he raced away, now alone with the other stallion on the cold shore. Once he had disappeared from her sight she turned back to Sandman with a curious look, showing without words how intrigued she was by the strange fellow.

Unregistered

Sandman

Rowan had accepted her past it would seem, letting it guide her future rather than dwelling on things that could not be changed. The draft beast approved of her attitude, far too often he came across horses who seemed more interested in life lived before rather than the time that stretched out ahead of them. He noticed the smirk that Ricochet was giving, and returned the smug look. It wasn’t his fault the dark mare had taken an interest in him, though he was perfectly happy go along with the way things were going. She was pretty enough, and smart besides, and Sandman saw no reason to turn her away.

The black and white dog came tearing back to his master, and after a brief moment of wordless speech it seemed the stag and his friend were on the verge of leaving. It was rather sudden, and the chestnut found himself wondering what information the border collie had imparted. A flattering remark about pasts and strength was directed to Rowan, though teal optics focused on him as well, including him in the statement. The femme replied, and Sandman gave a nod, seeing no need to speak yet. The expected farewell followed, with an invitation to join him again at a later date. “It has been an honor speaking with you, Ricochet. I’m certain we shall meet again.” He would indeed do his best to encounter the gold colt, for he still wished to know what it was that the younger stud was seeking. Now was not the time, however, for it would be rude to leave little Rowan alone on the beach. “Enjoy!” drifted back to them, a last quip from the dunskin boy, and Sandman chuckled, finding that he quite liked the fiery creature. Attention turned back to the mare, sharing her interest in the departed stallion. “So, what did you make of him? Any idea of what he was trying to learn?”

OOC:
Walking the walk
Talking the talk
Thinking my thoughts

Deceased
Brit

Downturned lips twitched unhappily as Sandman glanced to the steed and smiled knowingly. It was a petulant face that marred her visage, but Rowan absolutely despised not knowing things. No matter how little. That's why she was so passionate about being a Scholar, and why Ricochet's mysterious ways made her desperate to figure him out. Their wordless conversation didn't last long, and Ricochet departed just as fast as he had come.

All that remained after his disappearance were the pair standing on the freezing beach. Oceanic optics turned to the only remaining equine as his decibels broke the silence that earlier had only been filled with the crashing waves of the incoming tide and the cry of the gulls. Rowan's countenance displayed her curiosity in the stallion that had once stood beside them, emotions swirling in blue depths as her sharp mind, dulled only by social naivety, tried to unlock the puzzle that was Ricochet. "He's certainly a strange creature...seeing as he was appraising your stature, and so far from his home, my best guess is he's trying to turn the tides in his herd. Something of the sort. But he may just be a wanderer, it's not my place to assume." Shrugging delicately as if she had no care either way, but it was quite the opposite. Rowan was determined to find him again, or she would go crazy unable to know what he intended to do. What he was like.
Think?

Unregistered

Sandman

“Yes, perhaps.” Or something much greater. Thoughts shifted in his mind, theories on Ricochet’s desire. However, there was no way of knowing if he had come to a correct assumption, and he tucked his ideas away for later. The dunskin was an enigma to be solved another day. For now, Rowan would be his focus. She was intrigued by the puzzle that the young stag had presented, but her earlier behavior had shown that something about him had drawn her attention as well. He simply had to gain that attention once more. It should be fairly simple to change the course of conversation back to the two of them.

He was in a quieter mood though, not willing to break the silence quite yet. Instead, his gaze rested on the restless sea. The rhythm of the waves was soothing in a way, erasing old memories that threatened to rise up as he stood with this dark mare. She was similar to the one he was forcing himself to forget, that dancing dark bay minx. The Incendiary had acted as a buffer, allowing him to mull over the secret that was being hinted at rather than dwell on her. What was it about this land that was stirring up memories that he had buried long ago?

Gulls flew over the grayish water, and the flock that was grounded further up the beach were squabbling over something, food more likely than not. He found himself relaxing slightly, the sounds and smells washing over him in a comforting way. ‘Forget,’ the sea sang in a crashing voice. ‘Forget,’ cried the avian life, cawing the word. And he did, even Rowan’s presence fading from his awareness. Lulled by the lullaby nature was crooning, temporarily vulnerable to any who may wish him harm. The cocky façade was slipping, revealing a subdued nature that few ever saw. He found that he didn’t much care. “Nothing ever really lasts, does it?” Unaware that his musing had been spoken aloud.

OOC:
Walking the walk
Talking the talk
Thinking my thoughts

Deceased
Brit

It seemed then that even Sandman had been intrigued by Ricochet's hidden secret. Rowan found no need to reply, as it was a statement she couldn't really reply to. The sandy stallion seemed to fall into his thoughts, gaze turning to the roiling ocean. Rowan kept quiet, what she did well. There was an almost wistful sadness on his visage, and the femme didn't think it was her place to rip him out of his thoughts. Ones that seemed sad but she didn't want to overstep a boundary trying to pull him out of it.

His words surprised her and it was obvious that he was saying it more to himself. The fact that he was revealing this side of him had her watching him quietly. There was no pity in her gaze, only agreement and understanding. "No. And that is what brings us the most pain and bitterness." Finding that she was also looking out at the sea, face wistful and a little hard. Feyther had taken her in and raised her, yet age had snatched her away so quickly. Rowan would never heal from both her real mother's abandonment and Feyther's death.

Unregistered

Sandman

Pain and bitterness. He could relate well to the feelings, though it was normally hidden behind his mask of charm and boldness. Sometimes he wondered which was the real Sandman. Was he the dark twisted beast that found himself experiencing a dull apathy toward the world, or the strutting golden stallion that smiled and manipulated and used kind words and flashy gestures to lure in the unsuspecting? Did it even truly matter? Perhaps he was both, the haunted steed and the silver-tongued liar making up a duel personality with neither having more claim than the other. The ocean seemed to have brought on this dreary mood, yet the questions had been brewing for a long time now, waiting for the right time to pull him into philosophical pondering.

He wasn’t sure how he felt about Rowan being there to witness his thoughts. She was both soothing and an irritant, bringing peace and pain at the same time. It would be easy to race away, to find a new place to think in private, yet he remained still. I must be a masochist. A self-mocking sneer slid across his features before disappearing as quickly as it had come. Since when had he questioned his own actions? Life was life, it would give and take, and he had always known he must be strong to survive, to take from life in return every time it dared to steal something away.

He turned back to the dove, pulling the tattered remains of his disguise back into place. “I apologize for that, lady. You remind me of someone, and I allowed memories and thoughts to consume me. Forgive me.” You are like her, a curse and a blessing. Damn you. Don’t hate me.

OOC:
Walking the walk
Talking the talk
Thinking my thoughts

Deceased
Brit

Their was no need to hide her emotions from the stallion, and so she did not. Not minding if he surveyed her reaction, as she had nothing to hide from him. He seemed truly and deeply perturbed by something, and Rowan almost felt the inclination to help. But she knew he was strong enough to get through it on his own. So as she left him to his unknown thoughts, she sank into her own. How much would be different, she wondered. If Feyther had not come across her lonely bleating form in that treacherous desert. Rowan both despised her existence and grudgingly loved and respected her. Feyther was an old school, strict kind of gal. With all her foals out of her reach, she longed to shape one into the perfect foal she had always wanted but never recieved. Rowan's spit fire attitude and hellish personality was only a challenge to the old cow. After she had been successfully broken and tamed, Feyther had molded her with great attention to detail. Forming every edge of a new soul until before her stood a quiet, distantly amused, obedient filly.

Rowan had never hated anybody more. But Feyther was not fully cruel. Somewhere deep inside a mother resided. Protected yet eroded by her sour personality. Often the praise and love Rowan recieved was gruff words, soft whispers and touches when she thought the young Row was asleep. Feyther had taken her in when she didn't have to. Taught her many things. Rowan had wept and mourned for her ever since her death, but a deep resentment hovered just below. Often she wondered what she would be like had she been allowed to wander for even a month more. If Feyther hadn't found her at all. But there was no changing the fates. Rowan was working hard to undo her work, try and find the real Rowan beneath it all.

Sandman had nearly disappeared from her mind. Both so deep in thought. Subconsciously she knew he remained by her side, and his voice drew her out quickly like surfacing from a freezing lake into cold air. Turning cyan eyes to his masculine form as he spoke "There is nothing to forgive. We are all entitled to our thoughts. I apologize if I brought upon you bad memories." Eyes soft with regret, not pity. Rowan didn't wish to cause him pain but she apparently could not help it of she reminded him of someone.

Unregistered

Sandman

Bulky head was shaken slightly. “No, it was not your fault. This memory wants to be remembered. If not you, then someone or something else would have triggered it.” The truth, he realizes. He could not forget, no matter how much he wished to. He resents this new development, faded images and sounds that drift through his mind with no regard for his sanity. He wonders if he will ever be free of the Arabian mare, wonders if he even wants to be rid of her. Every day brings pain now, the simplest of things calling her shade to torment him. Even standing on the brink of the ocean, so far from where he met her that he couldn’t begin to count the miles, she finds him.

He feels the need to run, to bolt, to outrace the phantom that lingers so close. To forget everything in the simple act of galloping. It is so tempting that he almost charges away without explanation, but years of discipline are not so easily discarded. It would be rude, and so he remains for a moment longer, enough to offer a few words to Rowan rather than leave her silently. “I fear I must depart now. It has been a pleasure, Rowan.” He almost says more, but holds back before the rest of his speech can come. He simply smiles instead, hoping she’ll understand, and finally unleashes the pent up energy that he has been holding back, rushing away in a thunder of hooves that quickly fades until naught remains of the stallion besides his churned prints in the sand.

OOC:Darn Sandman, becoming all tormented without warning me.
Walking the walk
Talking the talk
Thinking my thoughts