the Rift

i reserve my right to be afraid

Xolani Posts: 39
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 15.0 hh :: 6 years (ages in Orangemoon)
ChaoticMelodies
XOLANI
Her reflection glimmered on the surface of the water, and for the first time in years, she took a moment to survey it. The mare did not often take note of her appearance, for (in her opinion) there was nothing of note about it; but with the sun's sharp rays glittering on the water, she almost appeared to sparkle. The thought was laughable; how would she, plain and boring, with no magic to speak of and no voice to speak with, be anything more than what she was? She had always been meant to keep to herself, to hide in plain sight, to be seen and not heard. Such a lovely aesthetic would only be a distraction.

Still, she couldn't help but wonder how her life would have been different if there was but one special thing about her.

The mare turned her head slightly to the right, examining her profile. Her eyes were a light blue, almost grey in the winter light, set deeply in her petite, dished face. The skin of her muzzle was tinged pink, matching the exposed flesh around her eyes. She sighed, rolling her eyes. She was as plain as ever; nothing would change that. A beige hoof splashed in the water, sending ripples through the image staring back at her. The sudden chill of the river on her skin made her jump; were she able, she might have squealed. As it were, she merely smiled and shook her head. How silly to waste time here when she could be exploring!

A male voice interrupted her antics and she tensed, raising her head to find the source. A winged stallion picked his way through the trees toward her, a sweet smile on his lips. She eyed him enviously: his lovely wings, his spiraled horn, his intricate markings, his gorgeous teal colorations... he was far above her station. Handsome, but his class was not hers to admire. She lowered her gaze shyly, expecting him to take a drink and be on his way, but he surprised her with his kindness and interest. She peered at him from beneath her lashes, suddenly self-conscious in a way that she had never been before. No one had given her a second look before (except, of course, the disgusted glances of her parents, fleeting in nature, as though she was painful to look upon). Even in the lowest social circles, she had remained an outcast at home, cursed as she was with silence.

Surely it would be no different here. It would be silly to think otherwise.

Still... she couldn't help but hope.

And he was feeding that hope, watching her expectantly, waiting for a response. She wished that she could speak, could introduce herself - she wondered how her own name felt on her lips, how his name would taste on her tongue. But no matter how hard she tried, she knew that no sound would emerge - so she did not try, but merely smiled sheepishly and bobbed her head sweetly in greeting. I'm sorry, she tried to convey with her eyes, with her gestures. She swallowed a lump in her throat, hiding it behind her smile, knowing that he would not remain for long when she could provide nothing for him, not even a returned greeting.

She was less than nothing. That would never change.

OOC ;; @Ilios

Messages In This Thread
i reserve my right to be afraid - by Xolani - 02-07-2016, 10:48 PM
RE: i reserve my right to be afraid - by Ilios - 02-08-2016, 03:49 AM
RE: i reserve my right to be afraid - by Xolani - 02-08-2016, 12:55 PM
RE: i reserve my right to be afraid - by Ilios - 02-09-2016, 03:54 AM
RE: i reserve my right to be afraid - by Xolani - 02-10-2016, 12:38 AM