the Rift

[PRIVATE] So I Return, Lessons Learned. [Moon]

Ashamin the Clovenheart Posts: 426
Outcast atk: 8 | def: 11.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 HH :: 5 [Frostfall] HP: 79 | Buff: NUMB
Lochan :: Plain Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Rakt :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast Jen
Ashamin

If Ashamin had learned anything, it was that the Goddess of the Moon was not as kind as he had thought her to be. Her task, given two options, had appeared to be simple to the haruspex. Having fought many times before, the prospect of simple injuries from magic had not daunted him so much.

And it was true that that pain, the pain of spark, wind, fire, and earth, was not what truly hurt. It was the manner in which he had asked for such injury, degraded himself and hurt others in the process, that was what hurt. Hotaru had been first, shocking his chest and slicing his side with her razor wind. She had even given him the gift of that magic to wield later, a gift he had horribly abused. But to ask her that was to ask too much, to shake her strength to its core and reveal the selfishness that the Haruspex had been harboring.

Then Thranduil, the falsely gilded, had broken him. Ashamin had betrayed all values and used his own magic against the lord, completing even the task he been offered with temptation and turned from before. They had battled, then, Ashamin being blinded by the fiery ash of his enemy, but at what cost? Thranduil had run after, and Ashamin had not seen him since. He wasn't sure he would ever see him again.

Finally Volterra, the gut-wrenching colt in the meadow... what had that encounter been but some back alley exchange, some begging for a fix? Ashamin had offered himself to a stranger as a plaything, laid before a vampire with his fleshy neck exposed and said here, drink. The quest then had been completed, the task fulfilled. But at what cost? All of it, at what cost?

Ashamin walked with his head lower than before, his two companions in his company the only thing keeping him together. The last of the wounds on his side were now nothing more than faint marks, some scars; it was the limp from Volterra's earthen spike that lingered. With better healing it would fade, but for now the haruspex didn't have it in him to seek that out. He'd finished his quest, found his companions, and he would be done with this. Now.

Lochan watched the darkness of the night as before, eyes wide and searching. Rakt, new to the veins, saw nothing of import in the shrines and instead looked down, apparently fascinated by the soft flow of lava spilling out from the earth. Ashamin was stolid; Ashamin was not keen on making this last.

"I have completed your task, Moon Goddess," he spoke into the cold, his black eyes not even bothering to find her. She would reveal herself when she wanted, and of course he would wait. "I've felt much pain at your command, caused it with my need for it. I understand now, of the world, that protection cannot come without harm," Ashamin said to nothing, to no one. "Of myself, I've learned terrible things."

Was that what you wanted? his head rang, alarming Lochan from his hypnotized state. What I thought I was, what I thought I truly could be, is ruined.

""

Credit

In chronological order:
Spark & Wind:Knights and Damsels
Hurt someone from the Basin on purpose:Armed and Caged
Fire:Armed and Free [Ashamin v. Thranduil]/As I have risen, armed and strong
Earth:Holding Out

Info from request thread, for reference:
"Questing for:
Magic::SparkxDark:: Able to manifest his/another's heart as a creature made of harmless electricity which can be hurt/killed. All damage done to the vulnerable manifestation harms its source.
Restriction: Lasts 30 seconds in battle. Requires permission outside of battle.

Would also like to use my 5 small items to make a large item and receive the following   (wording approved with Brit):
Item. Offensive. Spiked spinal piece made of sharpened black antlers carved with gold runes. Attached via leather around throat latch, breast, and girth."

"Ashamin must either 1. Make himself stronger by: enduring attacks by 4 of the primary elements (So just because something is waterxlight doesn't count as two - it would count as whatever the primary output of the magic would be. For instance, although lava magic is earthxfire, it would count as 'fire', since lava is primarily fiery. ) or 2. Must intentionally maim/wound/hurt someone in his herd (physically)."

@Mythical Request

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead

God of the Moon Posts: 236
Helovian Ancient
Mare :: Hybrid :: 15.2hh :: Ageless
Admin

"And so fast." 

Her voice was like a touch of perfume in the air, gently gliding downwards, invisible, but unmistakable. There was an eagerness to it - a bite almost - but she sounded amused. Indeed, as her svelte form came into view, appearing seemingly out of nothingness, her lips were twisted upwards in a grinch-like smile, and her eyes flashed with mirth.

"I would have been skeptical of others, had they returned as fast as you-" She began, her leonine tail flicking casually around her hocks. "But you aren't one to cut corners ... indeed, I see that you've fulfilled both options of your quest... how noble." Though her voice seemed to indicate that she didn't think it was noble at all. Oh no. But was it that Ashamin was simply hedging his bets? Completing both tasks, just in case he had messed one up? Was it merely to curry favour? Was he some sort of masochist? The possibilities made her smirk to herself.

And yes, he was right. This was exactly what she wanted of him.

"I am pleased with you Ashamin. The magic you seek is yours. And for all your trouble - " From the blackness around her, a piece of armor, adorned with black spikes and golden runes, appeared. It moved towards him, held in place by unseen hands, and fitted along his spine. "There is magic in it ... perhaps one day you'll figure out just what kind." She said, her voice like the twinkling of wind chimes in a frigid morning. 

Ashamin has been granted his magic, and for his efforts in completing his quest, has also been granted a custom item! You may choose the enchantment that his armor has.

Ashamin the Clovenheart Posts: 426
Outcast atk: 8 | def: 11.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 HH :: 5 [Frostfall] HP: 79 | Buff: NUMB
Lochan :: Plain Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Rakt :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast Jen
Ashamin

He was not so startled by her appearance now as he had been before. It was likely that this new strength he was meant to have was a part of that. It was possible that watching a ball of electricity hurtle towards one's own chest at unavoidable speed, that losing one's sight, that being shredded by an earthen pillar, had that sort of an effect on a being. That it made them jaded, frozen, colder and lacking surprise or excitement at the sight of anything that might once have filled them with reverie or awe. It was quite possible all of that could fuck someone up dangerously, severely, and irreparably. But those were just possibilities, just options in a limitless plane. Every idea, every thought, every happening, a point on a field somewhere beyond Ashamin's vision.

These, however, were abstract and useless thoughts. What Ashamin felt, concretely, before the rush of magic into his very soul and the settling of ancient weaponry upon his spine, was something like respect. Respect at last earned rather than simply held out of expectation, respect that it had been proven Ashamin needed to give. For though the Goddess of the Moon was surely to some no more than a wicked hellion, she was intelligent and strong, sure of herself and more than capable of proving her power of mortals and their minds. Ashamin, now scarred and forever changed, knew this with all certainty.

He listened to her apologies hollow eyed, his tail still and long on the rock as he waited for insult. But it didn't come, and he realized that perhaps she might even have the slightest bit of respect for him, or at the very least had found him satisfactory as a pawn. He dipped his head as she went on, let his fore lower into a faint and brief bow.

The weight that came upon his back was light but powerful. The forming of antlers from shadow was exquisite, the gold runes upon its frame were familiar but lost to him, like an image of his mother or the date of his father's birth. Was the power, then, in those runes, spelling out things the Haruspex did not yet understand?

He did not have much time to consider that magic, for the one more immediate and that he had sought began to take shape before his very eyes. Still weak and new but undeniably there, an apparition spelled in electricity appeared at the edge of the rock and between his two companions. Ashamin squinted, still unsure as to what the creature was, as to what it would become. For a second he felt something like eyes in it, something like eyes from his own heart; for a second before it disappeared, he matched its gaze.

What faded left behind reality. He saw more clearly the Goddess, tried to find her eyes when before he would not have dared.

"Thank you," he spoke, "I will do my best to use these gifts well." His two companions, still nervous at the electric apparition, drew closer to Ashamin. Lochan's frantic black brushstrokes spelled nervousness, a desire to go, but the Haruspex was not finished.

At last he was given the opportunity to speak with a God that, as far as he could tell, was not wishing it were elsewhere, or was not perhaps already in another dimension.

"Your brother," Ashamin began, "The God of the Spark. He does not speak of you as often as he should. Your powers, your knowledge... it is unique." the haruspex had many questions but knew better than to ask them now. Were this the time, he expected she would make that clear. But there was a chance still that he had misread, that no such dialogue would occur. He was, after all, only mortal.

""

Credit

Thank you admin for the item enchantment! <3

@Mythical Request

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead

God of the Moon Posts: 236
Helovian Ancient
Mare :: Hybrid :: 15.2hh :: Ageless
Admin

"Well or not," She offered with a laugh and a delicate shrug of her shoulders. "they are now yours to do with as you wish."

As he mentioned her brother, the stout one, the Goddess exhaled a sound that was very close to frustration, though it was tempered somewhat by their sibling bond. "My brother, for all of his infinite foreknowledge, often loses himself in the time streams that he holds so dear." She spat, sounding very nearly insulted and tired. "I'm surprised he even remembers to introduce himself, much less talk about me."

With a wave of her wing, the Goddess indicated that the conversation about her sibling was over. Ashamin may have impressed her with his dedication to his quest, but that had not won him an invitation to extend their chat. She and her brother at least had that in common. They were, both of them, more or less fair.

"As I said, the magic - and the armor -  is yours now. You hold no debt to me, use them as you will."

With that, her body began to bleed away, back into the air. Tendrils of black smoke, thick and heavy enveloped her svelte curves and pulled them outwards, as if she had been no more than an amalgamation of coloured particles to begin with. She disappeared into the air, leaving a faint trace of lilac and honeydew on the breeze which appeared just as suddenly, to billow the remaining fragments of her body away.