the Rift

What Weather We're Having [Open]

Athena2 Posts: 48
Dragon's Throat Pupil
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1hh :: 4 Years 8 Months
Adoptable

A shivering tan form stood sullenly by the edge of the oasis, lion tail flickering smoothly as the tip curled and twisted, little wings beating furiously. Unhappy hazel eyes scanned the still surface of water, cursing the weather with every word she knew and yet would never let escape her maw. Delicate listeners flickered between anger and discontent, half pinned half pricked. Frostfall was Athena's worst season. It destroyed her carefully tended plants and she was never a fan of the cold in the first place. Snow made her wet and the feathers on her wings sodden. Unable to keep her tail off the ground with the little feathers for long, with it being so much longer than normal.

Her hooves sank a little into the sand as she stood there, tail curling around her ankles. Trying to stay on the sheltered side of the oasis, wishing the seasons weren't so extreme in the Dragon's Throat. Even with the disgruntled look on her visage she still managed to look kind. It was impossible to make the calm mare upset in a fashion more violent than this, and she was hard to be rude around. Perhaps company would distract her from her inner hatred of the frosty, killing months.

Andash Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

andash</style>
the beautiful is always strange.</style>

The broad figure of the ashen brute followed the skippy frame of the much tinier puffin. Andash smiled as he strode after his little bonded, chuckling to himself at her waddles as Cenny enthusiastically flapped her wings through the chilly air. Perhaps it was because of Frostfall that she was so happy, the only one he thought. Her chirps silenced these thoughts, the bond was becoming strong now as they connected further.

The handsome brute had returned to his homeland, after many moons of strengthening himself. His new wing was becoming part of him now, the fern markings of the full feathers looking magnificent against his pale pearl pelt, slowly becoming stronger with every beat. With these elated thoughts, he trotted with equal enthusiasm to match Cenny's, before he found himself almost colliding into a fae. In a flurry of cool sand and feathers, he spluttered to a halt and bore a guilty look upon his crown.
"I apologise! I'm afraid I got a little caught up and did not see you." he pulled his tapered back to its proper place, and let his ice azure pools investigate the stranger. She was a strange flaxen creature, bearing a lion's tail that had tiny wings producing from the end, replacing the tuft that should have been there. For this misgiving, she was a pretty creature, but the expression on her crown was far from warm. She seemed to be loathing every second of life, but as he glanced around and shivered, he understood that Frostfall could make anyone feel that way. "May I be so bold to ask for your name, stranger?" He smiled, once again apologetically.

"To be second is to be the first of the ones that lose."

image by seyed mostafa zamani @ flickr.com</style>

Dragon's Throat Pupil
Adoptable

Athena's musing was broken as a sudden flurry had her giving a small cry of surprise, nearly crashed into by some other Pegasus. Only once the sand settled and she dared to open her eyes did she see who it was. A large gray form was beside her, a sheepish look across his face. Her bad mood was instantly lifted and she smiled, straightening up from where she'd recoiled slightly in surprise and fright. "It's quite alright! You seemed to be enjoying yourself. No harm done! I'm afraid I needed an interruption to stop having such heavy shoulders." Laughing lightly, tail turning from unhappy winding to a light swishing, her happy nature returning with company. He asked rather politely for her name and she turned to better face him, smiling easily. "Of course, mister. I'm Athena. And you?"

The cold weather did make her miserable, but Athena was never one to stay upset for long. It simply wasn't in her nature, and her wish to be a healer only amplified her wants to always be good company. The pearl colored brute seemed genuinely apologetic and she hoped that her words would comfort him. The little puffin, clearly his bonded, was absolutely adorable and she nickered at it gently. Entranced by the little creature's happiness, happy to see such joy influencing its bonded. Athena couldn't hold the near accident against him, even if the little creature wasn't his bonded. Athena held few if any grudges. Turning her hazel eyes to the stallion again, wings fluttering with her amusement so that her tail flickered energetically.

Unregistered

andash</style>

His apology was taken well, and for this he felt grateful. The frosted brute did not wish to get on the bad side of a stranger, that was not his intentions, no. Andash dipped his head and cast a friendly glance at the duchess, her caramel pelt a sweet sight for his pools that were sore of the pale scenery. It was almost like a breath of fresh air, and also to take in the scent of his homeland. She was evidently part of his herd, the Dragon's Throat. He cleared his throat as she responded. His voice was deep and masculine but was still welcoming,
"I am honoured, Athena. My name is Andash, and this here," he gestured towards the fluffball, "this is Cenny."

He remained silent for a small while, while Cenny became curious and fluttered over to Athena. He shook his head in silent laughter at the antics. "She's a character! I must ask, Athena, have you been part of the Throat long?" He smiled as his bonded's curiousity was equalled by his own. The frosted pelt was thick but it did little to stop the cold penetrating his skin. He shivered slightly and he silently cursed the cold weather, but held his tongue.

Dragon's Throat Pupil
Adoptable

Handsome features seemed almost relieved by her easy acceptance and dismissal of the near collision. Athena couldn't find a reason to stay affronted- after all it was an accident, and they were both so cheerful in this weather that it warmed the thin layer of ice around her feelings. Banishing the displeasure of Frostfall. Why, that was a blessing! He could run completely into her as much as he wanted! The voice that met her ears was rather masculine compared to her sweet, mellow soprano tone. Hazel eyes turned towards Cenny the Puffin as Andash introduced her, delighted to know their names. Especially of the playful little bird.

The little bird flew over to her and Athena felt rather like a filly again, a soft giggle escaping as her eyes took in the little form curiously. Blowing air at it from her nostrils in a playful snort. Turning back to look at Andash as was polite. That and his voice had caught her attention again. "She's lovely! You are very lucky. I've not been here long, perhaps at the start of Frostfall. And yourself?" Genuine curiosity in her eyes, head tilting to the side a little. Welcoming smile still at her lips, happy to have made acquaintances with such a kind brute.

Unregistered

andash</style>

Andash ruffled his feathers up against the winds, but soon began to smooth them back out as he paid little attention to the chilly air that was such a discomfort. His focus was being pulled in by Athena, the sweet fae that he had come across. Her expression was friendly, and humourous by the antic of his bonded. This made him smile. The warm expression across his frosted crown sounded through his voice as he spoke a reply to Athena,
"I am, she wouldn't do me any favours in battle but I am very lucky," he glanced down to the playful bird before shaking himself and twitching his lobes back to the flaxen vixen, "So you are fairly new then? You'll come to love this place, as I do. I stumbled upon Helovia sometime in Tallsun, it was far hotter then..." The memories that the utterance of Tallsun brought the silvered brute caught him off guard, and he took another glance away from Athena to scan his homeland. Such a lot had changed, not just temperature wise. It seemed a far darker place than it once was, and he still did not understand why. His return had left him with no knowledge of what occurred during his absence, and this was something that the beast was determined to discover. With a slight feeling of dejection he explained his expressions to the duchess: "I left late Orangemoon and have only just returned, and it seems different. But I do not know why. Forgive me for my manner, it feels like it has been so long since I have been here."

The frosted sir let his crown bounce down on his burly neck, scuffling the terra firma with his well-shaped daggers. In the distance he could hear the faint voices of other creatures, perhaps herd members, but he just waited for Athena to reply. He thought it rude to suddenly pay more attention to what lay beyond this domain than focus on the conversation at hand.

Dragon's Throat Pupil
Adoptable

Warmth resonated from the deeper voice as Andash spoke, and Athena was grateful that he was at least appearing to enjoy her company. Olive eyes moving from the adorable little critter to the pearl coated brute. It was true that the little puffin wouldn't be of much use in battle and she hoped the winged babe wouldnt be hurt in the future. "That is very true. I wish to heal, which many consider not to be a noble cause. I'm sure you can protect her well, and at least she can offer you company." Smiling this time directly at the stallion, hoping she wasn't being rude in her adoration of his companion. Was he a soldier? He looked strong and capable, but Athena didn't want to assume.

He trailed off as he spoke and his gaze moved away from her, turning to observe the Throat with...longing? Sadness? Athena couldn't place it but frowned, concern obvious on her face. She didn't want to bring up bad memories or sadden him. Unlike many proud stallions he turned back to face her and explained his feelings. Understanding had her extending her neck to brush muzzles with him in a friendly, supportive gesture. Smile returning from the worried frown. "It's quite alright. I'm sure you'll find what you're searching for. Home is still home whether it changed or not. There will always be people here who remember it as you do." Perhaps one of these members could help him understand what had changed. Athena hoped so, the look on his face at seeing a shift in his home had been troubling to watch. "I wish I could help. I'm confident you'll find your answers Andash," Smiling encouragingly at him, tail waving in a comfortable rhythm, little wings beating quickly.

Unregistered

andash</style>

The sweet fae gave him comfort and for this he felt utterly gracious. The company was much needed, and her welcoming was faith restored in the ultimate tendencies of the creatures of the land. Her pools turned on him as she refrained from glancing at Cenny, who now had resorted to snuggling behind his strong silvered pillars. He breathed a sigh of relief for her calm, it sometimes felt like a full time occupation to keep her safe. Setting myself up for fatherhood he mused to himself amusedly.

Athena's words brought his attention back to her, his gaze still fixed on her. Her talk of desiring a post as a healer made him smile further. It was most certainly noble of her to wish to take such a path, such a contrast to his own rank. It was ironic really; Andash was the one who maimed and inflicted damage whilst the golden vixen would set about fixing the wrong doings. The destroyer and the creator. His voice sounded quietly as he spoke,
"Oh no, wanting to become a healer is more noble than you may think. I admire you for this. I myself am a soldier, something I may or may not necessarily be proud of, but we all have our duties. Never think yourself below the likes of myself, because you are of far greater importance, Athena." He felt like the strict father, throwing his authority in to see her head the right direction with confidence, but his words were soft and sponged with the tone of care. He was simply trying to imply his own thoughts out loud, almost condemning the actions he may have to make in the future. But as he said, it was his duty, just as it would be Athena's duty to heal.

The frosted brute felt proud for the fae to take such a shine to his bonded, and he dipped his head in respect and acceptance to her. And her own emotions led to her brushing his muzzle with hers, and he embraced the sign of friendship by reciprocating. "Thank you, Athena. And likewise, it is most important that we remember the past." There was no need to be defensive in the presence of the golden vixen, and for this he was once again grateful. Stepping back, he smiled and thought of a lighter subject to lighten the mood of the conversation. His pools were bright again and his muscles tensed slightly, brandishing the bloodmark he bore over his strapping chest. "What lovely weather we're having..." The humour trickled in his voice and shone through his pools, teasing as his sarcasm was probably wasted.

Dragon's Throat Pupil
Adoptable

The golden vixen was grateful that, in some minor way unknown to her of which it was, she had comforted him. Athena found that soothing worried minds was another form of healing- one she wished desperately to use more often. Suffering was hard for her to see, and troubled souls wandered too heavily upon this land in her opinion. Too many bright hearts dimmed, it was a shame. If she could restore a little faith in the future in Andash then maybe she had done okay in the end.

Solid voice was quiet but firm as he spoke to her, confirming what she had previously suspected. What surprised her was his passionate disagreement to her words. Andash certainly had his own way of showing this, as it was of a reserved sort but Athena was rather touched by it. Dipping cranium towards the earth in a small display of thanks. "Then you are certainly one to be admired as well, Andash. I may desire to take pain away, but being a soldier is no less honorable. Without you and many others, we would be taken over, or a herd wouldn't even form in this land. Innocent foals and those who can't fight rely on you just as much as the sick and wounded rely on me." Hazel eyes meeting his with a stern but honest look. Either way she was thankful for him to restore her own faith, and this wasn't overshadowed by her words. It was revealed in her posture, lingered in her kind orbs. Amusement soon passed over her features. "You'll have to teach me sometime. I'm rather awful at appearing even remotely intimidating." Hoping to dab some color into their conversation that had turned serious, though not in a way she disliked at all. It was much better to see a smile on his handsome face than a stern or sad one.

Friendly gesture was received and returned, assuring the girl that the emotions had passed. Nodding slightly in agreement to his words. It was always best to remember the past and strive for a better future. Athena never understood why dark, tortured pasts were lingered upon. Many used this as an excuse for bloodshed and violence, letting what had happened ruin them and therefore others. His words, sarcastic and amused as his splendiferous stature rippled and stretched, knocked her out of her thoughts. So similar to her brooding thoughts on the abhorrent weather that it caught her by surprise, and she laughed. Collapsing into giggle as she tried to regain some level of maturity, hazel eyes gaining a new twinkle of delight. "I-I'm dearly sorry, it's just that I was thinking those same thoughts right before our encounter. That's why i was in such a foul mood so unlike myself. I apologize that was very immature of me," but still unable to contain a few lingering bubbles of laughter as she turned her gaze to the bleak sky above them. Completely embarrassed by her sudden laughter as it wasn't like her, but the irony had completely surprised her. Agreeing nonetheless as he frowned at the skies momentarily; what horrible weather.

OOC: oh golly a little long, sorry my muse exploded

Unregistered

andash</style>

Her words that echoed his own subtle belief in what was honourable almost made him feel comforted. It was an honour to know that he was at the frontline of protecting his herd members, those he loved, but maiming and killing was far from honourable. This was the aspect of holding the rank of soldier that hurt. His pride would remain intact, and he would be blatantly proud to be of such a rank, and he secretly hoped he could soar higher, but deep down he knew that it was a duty that he may or may not necessarily be that proud of. With a sigh, he tossed his frosted silks as the cool air played with them and tickled his strapping neck. The feeling was emphasised by the overall silence of the surroundings. He was grateful for the sweet company that he was with.

He turned to Athena and smiled, before saying in a cool, quiet voice,
"It is my duty and something, that if I ever were to, that I would die gladly doing - protecting the Throat and my herd." Dipping his own handsome crown to the pretty fae, he turned away for a moment to look out onto the horizon. As his expressions were averted from Athena's own pools, his were dancing with the wonder of what would happen if he were to die in battle. Would he be accepted into the heavens?

Shaking all these preposterous thoughts from his mind, he swiftly rounded on his leaden daggers back to face her, with a cool smile. His peaceful nature got the better of him, and he would carry on as he meant to go on. This would mean never having to fight unless it called for it, yet he knew he needed the practice. Andash didn't wish to put anything down to chance, particularly against the likes of the ex-Edge herd, the outcasts.

The flaxen vixen's laugh pierced through the atmosphere, almost making him jump. He certainly felt his bonded jump out of her skin, and this he chuckled quietly to himself. Silly little thing. All he got back was a small "hmpfff" back through his mind, placing a rather confused expression on his frosted crown. Was Cenny actually beginning to mature? He turned his icy azure gaze back to Athena's hazel pools, which were brimming with humour. Her apology was not accepted, there was no need for it. The pale brute loved laughter and light thoughts, hence why he had attempted to lighten up their conversation. Once again, he displayed a warm, friendly smile at her, once again deeply chuckling quietly, "Great minds think alike, eh?" he stood prouder and added, "This blasted weather can take a hike into the hills beyond Helovia." The stern expression on his face that suddenly appeared pretty much summed up his own feelings towards Frostfall - it could piss off. He was no lover of the cold, and what came with the cold: lack of food, unfrozen water and the care-free feeling that came with the likes of Birdsong.

With another sigh, he lay his crown down, relaxing. Shuffling the snow underneath his daggers, he let his tail silks swish and let the sapphire streaks reflect what little light there was. Stretching his wings lightly, he pulled himself back, ignorant to the fact that he had just zoned out for quite some time. He dipped his crown in acknowledgement, "I was miles away there."

[OOC: Ahaaa that's quite alright! It means a lot more to play with :D
However I'm afraid I may have gone overboard with my own muse... O.O]

Dragon's Throat Pupil
Adoptable

Blindness wasn't an attribute Athena would ever wish to own, and hoped dearly that currently she didn't. Being a warrior wasn't always great. To serve your herd, in her eyes, was a chivalrous thing to do. But just as with healing, not everything was great. One had to maim, kill, and disfigure other equines in the name of protection. Some reveled in killing, other detested it. She had a feeling that Andash didn't like it but knew it was necessary at times, much like Athena did. Healing was the same. Sometimes there really was nothing you could do for your patient. At times you had to whisper comforting words, that they would be okay when you knew they wouldn't make it. Try to help their passing. Others were disfigured for life, and many blamed their healers who could not have done anything else. Both worlds had two very different sides, much like Yin and Yang. Either you turned a blind eye to one, which the mare found foolish, or you accepted both and tried to keep your passion for it clear and alive.

These thoughts had a rather melancholy look settling on her countenance. It remained as Andash spoke, cool and quiet. "It's a noble thing for you to be proud of that, then. Even if keeping the burden of a soldier will not be easy." Bowing her head to him, knowing he deserved this show of respect. The fae let him have his time to look out across the lands in his thought. It wasn't abnormal of Athena to be serious, but it was not something she desired to always be. It required a certain time and place, like all other aspects of life and emotions.  

What brought about the change in the atmosphere they shared was her own laugh, a startled sound that she wished hadn't escaped in such a robust way. It was apparent that she had startled her company and this only furthered her shy eyed embarrassment. Not missing though not understanding the confusion on Andash's face as he glanced at Cenny. Managing to regain control over her laughter and shutting it down tight, face crumpled slightly to show how abashed and flustered she was in this situation. Andash didn't seem to even care about her outburst, smiling charmingly and joking once again. Wringing a smaller more controlled giggle from the vixen. "They clearly do. I agree, this blasted weather is horrible! I want nothin to do with it." And though she was serious in her words, her eyes still sparkled with amusement at his previous joke she had replied to in a much different tone than her subsequent words.

Andash lowered himself, pawing absentminded my at the snow. Athena felt it wrong to watch him as he, once again, drifted into thought and so turned her eyes to the shore they stood on. The water was freezing in this season and was dreadful on the belly when ingested, but they had little choice. Frostfall seemed to strike the desert of the Throat particularly hard, though it was no surprise considering the climate. The lack of vegetation meant the winds cut through them easily. Andash stretched his wings out and the light color that streaked the feathers caught her eye, returning her gaze to him just as he spoke once again. "Really? You seem rather close..." Pulling on a faux pondering look to show she truly wasn't bothered by his insightful thinking. Shaking her head to push the subject of his apology away, turning a tad more serious. "It's really quite alright. I understand the need to drift every once in a while." Smiling indulgently at him. It seemed he was rather fond of drifting off into thought but Athena wasn't complaining one bit.

[[OOC: I think you're rubbing it off onto me! X3 haha]]

Unregistered

andash</style>

Andash looked at the sweet fae, and realised that he had gone too long without seeing Xira. With a small triumph in his heart and the courage pulsing through him, he raised his handsome frosted crown into the air and puffed out his chest, unconsciously knowing what he was doing. What Athena had said was very true about drifting, and he felt bad to have to leave his new friend, but he promised himself that he would meet her again.

Bracing himself for a change of mood from the fae, he plucked up the deep voice again,
"I'm afraid drifting is something I must do now, my friend. You have made me realise that I need to see a long lost friend..." He dipped his crown towards her respectively, and then began to twist round, before adding, "We shall meet again, I hope." His tone slowly drifted away as he began to walk away from her...

[OOC: Sorry it's taken so long to reply! I'm submerged in coursework once again, so I need to start cutting down on posts >.<
We shall have to RP again soon!]