the Rift

resting {ophelia}

Tor Posts: 197
World's Edge Nurse
Mare :: Equine :: 17.1 :: 9
Adoptable

bound to wander forever, but maybe not alone

More and more, Tor found herself liking this mare. It seemed their bond had only strengthened, despite knowing each other for only a few days. A seagull squawked, its slender white body floating above the ways. That was surprising- Tor would think the bird had left along with the others, flocking towards the south or at the very least to the warm Dragon's Throat. Now, Ophelia had asked of the shaman's ways. With little difficulty, Tor retrieved her memories, organizing them, flicking through them like one through a filing cabinet. Mostly, the shaman, whose name, Tor thought, was Lei, had taught her plenty of healing herbs and remedies, re-aligning set bones.

"Lei, the shaman that is, was quite a scary-looking mare. All black with a gnarled horn, mane festooned with small animal bones. Despite her appearance, however, she was a kind soul, if more than a little eccentric. She had taken over a ramshackle hut built in the woods. You can imagine my surprise and curiosity when she led me there and offered to take me under her apprenticeship. 'Apprenticeship for what?' I had asked. Lei was the first horse to teach me remedial healing- poultices, splints, so on. She had also tried to teach me the art of future-reading, but it never seemed to click. 'Too grounded and too set in the present you are,' she would say. I remember that she had a raven companion, a surly little thing with glistening red eyes. Like his bonded, he was benign, if not annoying, despite his appearance. Once I reached my first year with her, I began treating clients of my own. Horses came from all over to be healed and treated by us. Lei had been very proud of me." I fell into the past, longing the elderly mare had survived the accident. "Not too long after the first year, Lei was killed in a freak accident with a bear. She spoke to animals, you know, that was why I was so shocked when a filly came racing to me, crying and telling me of Lei's death. But at least Lei died well- she had saved the little filly's life. After treating the foal's various cuts, I decided to move on. I didn't wish to remain in a place that had quickly become one of deepest sorrow."

Dear Lei. May she ever rest in peace.. "I wish she had survived, but if that accident hadn't taken place, I never would have met you and the other Helovians!" I smile, shaking off the sadness.

"blah blah blah."
move move move
think think think

TOR

Messages In This Thread
resting {ophelia} - by Tor - 10-13-2012, 08:42 AM
RE: resting {ophelia, open} - by Ophelia - 10-14-2012, 12:06 AM
RE: resting {ophelia, open} - by Tor - 10-14-2012, 10:27 AM
RE: resting {ophelia, open} - by Ophelia - 10-20-2012, 02:58 PM
RE: resting {ophelia, open} - by Tor - 10-20-2012, 07:21 PM
RE: resting {ophelia, open} - by Ophelia - 10-22-2012, 11:23 PM
RE: resting {ophelia} - by Tor - 10-24-2012, 06:05 PM