the Rift

:: Tiered Ranks? :: A Guided Discussion

Ashamin the Clovenheart Posts: 426
Outcast atk: 8 | def: 11.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 HH :: 5 [Frostfall] HP: 79 | Buff: NUMB
Lochan :: Plain Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Rakt :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast Jen
Do you want a sneak system? Honestly depends on what it is.

How would you want to keep track of it? I think the idea of longer you are in the position is appealing initially but after thinking about it more I'm not sure about it. The idea is the tier 2 sneak position is the best sneak in the herd, but someone in tier 3 might have been there longer than the tier 2. Maybe it would make more sense for the higher the tier the better your "crit chance" or what have you is, but then just no one of a lower rank would block (less fun.) I VERY MUCH like the idea of number of successful stealths because it's similar to VP and EXP and rewards you for hard work and trying, etc, but it is another thing for admins to have to keep track of and I understand you all have lots on your plate as is.

How do you think it should affect stealths? I think the idea of rolling for a stealth block to work makes sense for outcasts but doesn't for herds. I know there's been eternal talk about how to make it so it isn't easier to block yourself as a lone outcast, and applying it to one but not the other would do that. Plus, if you have a herd behind you in theory that whole herd can be watching out for you, it doesn't make sense that the whole herd couldn't fend off the one thief. Then again stealths make 0 sense IC (how physically do you pull it off without being noticed barring magical influence, or in the case of stealing a character, physically? How do you know what items people have if you've never met them? Etc etc.,) they're a very problematic system. At the same time, though, I think it would really suck to block a stealth, know it's for you, do that work, and still lose your item/self. I think item theft in general causes a lot of hard feelings, and there's been controversy over the ability to steal items at all because there are some cases where you simply cannot get them back, either because your character is too weak to challenge, the thief goes into AA, you can't find them to get it IC and they're either always watching stealths or you're not great at making them, the thief joins a herd you're allied with and can't steal from, etc. People put a lot of hard work into getting items IC, and while this site isn't about having cool stuff when it's earned with a lot of effort and stolen with not that much (in the case of a block being rolled ineffective) that would suck a lot. And also if this site isn't about having cool stuff and it's more plot driven, the question of a need for item theft at all arises, imo, when there is more opportunity for character growth when the character itself gets stolen and it's a situation you can usually get out of eventually/without as much difficulty/doesn't ever make lots of hard work questing or what have you all for nothing. And yes, I know that as a player with a stealth character I do participate in this and you can call me a hypocrite, but if anybody ever came to me and was truly upset about an item I stole from them I'd definitely talk about a way to return it to them and make a cool plot through it, get them an item pass, or get/design a replacement crafted IC and you can hold me to that.

Other thoughts or concerns: I think I kind of went into it above. Stealing is a big topic, there's a lot to think about. Looking forward to seeing what comes of a discussion and appreciate the opportunity to talk about it with the community.

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead

Messages In This Thread
RE: :: Tiered Ranks? :: A Guided Discussion - by Ashamin - 02-22-2016, 06:31 PM