the Rift

[PRIVATE] Red-Winged Witbird [Lotherarius Wit Contest for Wolf Dagger]

Knox Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 7.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17hh :: 7 Years [Tallsun] HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Jen

Huric's blood rose body swings into the day with ease. Knox has little time to waste, this challenge is just one of many that he hopes are to come. The last thing he wants is to hold onto the burdens his brother and his skill have impressed upon him.

The dagger glitters on the earth, a glowing trophy awaiting an exchange of ownership. "To me, Lotherarius!" the hunter calls in his ancestor's bright tones. The riddle is ready, the blood of competition flowing in the sleuth. Not that he really wants to win; he'd rather reward a herdmate than look a miser.

He lifts his nose and his nostrils flare, taking in the warm scent of the Birdsong breeze. A chill still remains, but life is returning to the Falls. Something like a smile passes over his face. Something warm.

When he thinks he hears stirring in the bushes around the clearing, his ears perk and his lips smack over his teeth. Whether Lotherarius is ready or not, the challenge has begun. He whispers a riddle on the wind; what follows are trifling things, mere tricks played out with the tongue. If he finds any meaning in them at all, then perhaps he'll do well with this game.

"Are you scared that someday you will see things like I do?
Don't worry, you're perfectly amiable except for that fear.
Remember that we're in this race together;
our thick blood's half-matched,
and we live in the dark arts of change."

His eyes glitter, and a delicate smirk weaves its way onto the mask of the martyr. Let him try and solve that one.

KNOX and MANHATTAN

Image by Elope

@Lotherarius, good luck!

You have 48 hours to make your guess and post your own mock stealth! The target might be anyone in the Hidden Falls (regardless of absence) except Lotherarius or Knox. So as not to mix IC and OOC knowledge, your IC comment can be anything but as far as IC goes, Knox's stealth isn't about anyone and Lotherarius might not know who, even if it were (otherwise options would be too limited!) Your guess should be made in an OOC comment. If you want pmed comments on yours/explanations of how I did mine, let me know in the bottom of your post.

Knox Stealth: 1/3
Knox Points: 0
Item: Glowing Wolf God Fang Dagger

Lotherarius Posts: 37
Outcast
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.0hh :: 6 :: Ages in Tallsun
Danjah
see—
I’ve already waited
too long
and all my hope is gone.
The daylight cast a glow on the figure that now stood before Lotherarius in his quest for the treasure that the mysterious creature had spoken of. And that figure was the familiar one, of the brute that had propositioned him so much more than a future with the Hidden Falls. The scars were still too deep for his paranoia to overcome in the sense that he was never quite sure if he could ever forgive him and this, Knox. Huric was the one who called his name with such a bright tone that the blood-red was unsure of. Why was he so eager to give away treasures? Remaining vigilant to his surroundings amongst the trees, he slowly paced towards Huric and his aquaintance took that as an attempt to smile at him. Lotherarius reurned the favour, a small yet wary smile gently slipped across his dark velveteens.

And then he whispered. The hunt was afoot for this treasure and the blessed skit wanted to quickly earn a place in this herd before it was too late. It spoke of another, that much was clear to Lotherarius but he thought hard and long about it, but was clueless. He had been here for too short a time, that much was true...

But in turn he spoke back, first a greeting with a wary tone in the back of his throat,
"Hello Huric, it has been too short a time to see you../"

If this was a game, Lotherarius was in, and he regurgitated the words that had been mulled over inside his handsome skull,

"You think yourself wise, Mithrandir,
But you know not wisdom,
Ever you desire to appear lordly and gracious as a royal of old,
But will you amount to all you expect?
I for one think not,
As your silver lining shrinks deeper into the mist."

The deep sparkles inside Huric's eyes shaped his entire scar-ridden skull, a pale red in the daylight.

" . "
Lotherarius
image credits

@Knox

[Lotherarius chooses Archibald]

[OOC: I am sorry if this is completely wrong! If it is I can change it etc etc but I hope that I've managed to make a pretty okayy first attempt xD]

Please tag me

Jen

When Lotherarius approaches and replies with a riddle of his own, an even greater smile sweeps across the hunter's features. He's a good challenger, twisting the words well with the ease of a combatant on the battlefield. Someday, Knox hopes to send such talent into the field.

But for now, he has his own response to craft. His nostrils flare and he considers every word carefully, rolling them around and gnashing them between his teeth. A soft snort comes out with his exhale before he speaks and crafts his own speech. Should this contest of riddles end as Knox hopes, he'll have to congratulate Lotherarius heartily.

"Follow me man
for your virtue is great
but your shadow is blind
and your past fears approach as the sun quickly falls.
Follow me and I will guide you;
if you won't fight for what you believe in,
let me protect you, my elder."

He takes a few steps backwards in his ancestor's red figure, pausing to look over Lotherarius and the shadow he casts. "Good to see you again as well, Lotherarius," he says. He glances down at the dagger on the earth, wondering how badly this stallion really wants it. "It's a good weapon, I trust you would wield it well," he goes on, remembering the skill with which it was crafted. Lotherarius seems loyal, would he ever dare lift it against a member of this herd?

The hunter's eyes narrow ever so slightly, his tail flicks to one side, and the warm breeze passes over him. If Lotherarius did prove a traitor, then he wouldn't live to see the dawn that followed.

KNOX and MANHATTAN

Image by Elope

Tristan was sought. (@Archibald will judge this at the end for fairness, since it was not guessed)
Are you scared that someday you will see things like I do?
--"Due to the condition of his left eye, Tristan is skittish of strangers and odd sounds, and will quest to fix his eye before permanent blindness sets in." (Knox has blinding magic/is blind in one eye, except he fixed it with magic just as Tristan questing would do)

Don't worry, you're perfectly amiable except for that fear.
--Personality: "his friendliness marred only by his shy, timid nature"

Remember that we're in this race together;
--Both Equine, same "race"

our thick blood's half-matched,
--Both half friesian and heavy breeds

and we live in the dark arts of change.
--Both have shapeshifting magic

Knox guesses Kaj
You think yourself wise, Mithrandir,
--Kaj likes to consider himself wise, on profile
--Mithrandir is a name for Gandalf in LOTR, Gandalf is a male

But you know not wisdom,
--Likes to consider himself wise but is always striving to improve himself

Ever you desire to appear lordly and gracious as a royal of old,
--Rank, is a czar/lord

But will you amount to all you expect?
I for one think not,
As your silver lining shrinks deeper into the mist.
--Wears armor that could be silver lining
--Is losing some of his memories
I forgot to say last time but when you guess, guess as in the stealth board backing up your clues. 48 hours again from this post, good luck!

Knox Stealth: 2/3
Knox Points: 0
Lotherarius Points: -.5 (lateness penalty)

Point chart:
+1 for correctly guessing a stealth
-.5 for guessing late
-1 for making a stealth that was too difficult to guess

Outcast
Danjah
see—
I’ve already waited
too long
and all my hope is gone.
His smile was expressed so vividly to Lotherarius that even he was taken aback by it. The creature who had lured him here received the same back, with a slightly less genuine expression. The blood-red was still not trusting of the brute, even though he had brought him to the Falls.

The physical sensation of grinding his teeth against the front of his lips was all a product of him being deep in thought at the game that he had uncovered in Huric. The riddles were coming thick and fast, and Lotherarius was ready. Even though his skittishness was not...

"Glistening like summer sun's gaze,
Your summers have amassed greater on the time turner,
Just not quite the same history is shared,
Do I let you stand so alone?
We are so similar -- I'll hide your eyes if you hide mine--
My sweet darling, did you hear me?"

Lotherarius' pure azure pools watched the dark-hued brute as he took a couple of steps backwards away from the winged stag, as he started up a conversation of greeting towards him. Lotherarius dipped his handsome skull to him as he thought up of a reply, before voicing it in his smooth and deep voice, "Likewise, Huric. I am still finding my way in this world but a familiar face is... comforting.," That was no lie. Lotherarius was starting to feel more at ease with the brute but he was not trusting of him. Could he trust anyone? As Huric looked down at the dagger that had caught his attention, he took once glance around to scour the trees for a sign of life in Frostfall's biting moments. Nothing. Good. And then Huric spoke once more once his paranoia had been temporarily laid to rest,

"It's a good weapon, I trust you would wield it well."

Lotherarius nodded in agreement and spoke once more, "I had much experience with these in war a long time ago, Huric. It is good to see a part of my past, to bear one would be more worth to me than you could imagine."

Huric's expression was something that pierced into Lotherarius' ruby-hued skin, giving him the sense of distrust coming from the brute. Well, at least they were on equal terms in that respect.

" . "
Lotherarius
image credits

Isopia was sought.

"You think yourself wise, Mithrandir" - she believes she is wise, in her profile: "[sophia], meaning balance and wisdom"

"But you know not wisdom" - she is not old enough to be 'wise', still being 3 years of age

"Ever you desire to appear lordly and gracious as a royal of old" - "a regal creature" like her father, God of the Earth

"But will you amount to all you expect?" - a questioning stance on her duty is to give balance to the world of Helovia

"I for one think not" - again questioning, more filler

"As your silver lining shrinks deeper into the mist." - on her profile, "Iso's choices might seem down right bizarre or even horrific at times. ", meaning that she will lose herself in the dark matters to find her 'balance'

Lotherarius guesses Apollo.

"Follow me man" - reference to the gender, stallion

"for your virtue is great" - he's "tenderhearted, loyal and loving" as on his profile

"but your shadow is blind" - his companion was born without eyes

"and your past fears approach as the sun quickly falls." - his profile says "During his time in Helovia, Apollo has since overcome his fear of the dark"

"Follow me and I will guide you;" - unsure of this one, his magic for giving sight?

"if you won't fight for what you believe in," - won't fight unless to protect the ones he loves

"let me protect you, my elder." - refers to him being older

Lotherarius Stealth: 2/3
Lotherarius Points: -5 (lateness penalty)
Knox Points: 0 (no minus points for incorrect suggestion is there?)
Item Sought: Glowing Wolf God Fang Dagger

@Knox

Please tag me

Jen

The newest member of the Hidden Falls speaks well. He has manners and grace, and wit to match. He is not short of riddles or compliments, of confidence or contribution. So Knox doesn't hesitate, doesn't consider that he'll much want to keep the dagger at the end of their little play-match. No, surely Lotherarius isn't a traitor. His eyes cease their pinching stare and he looks to the side, into the woods and towards the crashing sound of the falls, and wonders what is next for him in the day. He has a few more words, another riddle to spare, but not much patience and not much intention to linger.

"Is that a spark in your eyes?
I can't even see if you're looking at me under that tangled veil.
Are you a mirror? Funny, I don't see my reflection in you.
Still we share the same loss,
and for that I will comfort you my lady."

Knox considers the stallion's thoughts on the dagger. So he does not realize, then, that this weapon bears particular significance. Best to educate then, isn't it? If he can fight through the pain of that memory, if he can...

{Huric:} Go on.

"This dagger was formed from a very special war. The fang of the blade belonged to a foreign god that felled many brave souls that fought for this land.

{Manhattan:} Like me.

His throat catches and his eyes swell; he shuts them in firm denial. "Should you earn it, you would be expected to fight with the same temerity." His teeth grind, his lips smack. Softly, he exhales.

{Manhattan:} Like me.

KNOX and MANHATTAN

Image by Elope

Apollo was sought.
Congratulations! Every clue was exactly correct, though the 5th line was just fluff!

_____

Knox guesses Resplendence

Glistening like summer sun's gaze,
--Gold eyes

Your summers have amassed greater on the time turner,
--Older than Lotherarius

Just not quite the same history is shared,
--Both have hard pasts that left them scared/scarred

Do I let you stand so alone?
--Has no mate

We are so similar -- I'll hide your eyes if you hide mine--
My sweet darling, did you hear me?
--Sweet personality
--Darling could be gender ref

Knox Stealth: 3/3
Knox Points: -.5 (lateness penalty) = -.5
Lotherarius Points: -.5 (lateness penalty) + -.5 (lateness penalty) + 1 (Correct guess) = 0

Point chart:
-.5 for guessing late

@Lotherarius! Exactly 48 hours from this post. Pardon my lateness.

Outcast
Danjah
see—
I’ve already waited
too long
and all my hope is gone.

Lotherarius was evidently becoming more confident in his new environment, even with Huric at the end of his riddles. It was now time that he should begin to trust him, but no. The blood-red brute knew that it was too soon a time to start trusting anybody, even if this was just a game. In essence it was a game for something that reminded him of his old life, both a scary and reminiscent piece of glory that his lobes pricked towards and his pools fixed on for just a second before pulling away and glancing around his surroundings once more. He needed a weapon for his own protection, his mind wandered into the thought with little grace. But then he felt the call of Huric's voice once more as his riddle was matched by yet another one, one that gave him much to chew over...

And thus, it was Lotherarius' turn for the battle of the lexis. His smooth voice churned the words out with such grace that even his handsome skull moved to the flex of his velveteens, so smooth,

""Like father like daughter?" -- Looks like you are the exception,
The birds sang when you were born,
With the sun on your back,
But so heavy under foot,
What will life really bring you?"

He finished, ready to hear what it was the ruby-hued stag was about to say, Lotherarius' soft back quivering and his wing feathers in unison as he spoke of the dagger:

"This dagger was from a very special war. The fang of the blade belonged to a foreign god that felled many brave souls that fought for this land."

History. Lotherarius was keen to find out more about this great war, but at another time. His curious feeling did not let any reply be quelled, and his pools lit up as he spoke, "This sounds like a war that made many glorious, I would much like to hear about it when our little... game is over. And it is a magnificent blade, such beauty," And Lotherarius was then given the means to prove his worth to the herd with the next challenge, something that caused him to puff his broad chest out and speak with a deeper tone, "You have not seen my worth but I aim to prove it to you, come the time I need to use it."

Lotherarius
image credits

Resplendence was sought.
Congratulations, everything was spot on!

Lotherarius guesses Cirrus.

"Is that a spark in your eyes?" - refers to her eyes, as on her profile "vibrant electric blue"

"I can't even see if you're looking at me under that tangled veil." - "long and dreadlock-filled", might refer to forelock on profile

"Are you a mirror? Funny, I don't see my reflection in you." - coat can change according to the weather, on her profile :"ability to mirror the weather patterns through her coat"

"Still we share the same loss, and for that I will comfort you my lady." - lost his companion, gender reference

Lotherarius stealth: 3/3
Lotherarius points: -.5 (lateness penalty) + -.5 (lateness penalty) + 1 (correct guess) = 0
Knox points: -.5 (lateness penalty) + 1 (correct guess) = 0.5

Please tag me

Jen

The riddle posed feels worthless to the hunter. He pushes it out of his mind as quickly as he does his own son. It is Lotherarius' thoughts on the war that capture his attention--grab hold of it, tear it apart.

Glory? No, there was nothing glorious about those battles. It is all Knox can do to not shift, to not reveal his own hideous face and snap at the neck of the insolent red beast that dares to say the rift gods were fair enemies, that they were not all pawns for the Helovian gods to discard at will. Knox believed in gods but he would not worship them, not for all the evil they had done. Perhaps his opinions could be categorized under conflicted, but never again did he expect them to be as doting as they had been in his past.

Especially not now that Manhattan is gone. The fact that this stallion considers mass death to be glorious is troubling. The fact that his life's love is one of the dead makes it painful.

But he does not shift, does not snap, does not attack the other for his ignorance. A gentle reminder from some ancestor, he isn't sure which, urges him to cool down.

"Those battles were not glorious," he says finally, his word a breath. "There is nothing glorious about death. Many of us took ill and were scarred for the rest of our lives. Many of us buried our loved ones. To carry this dagger would be to carry that pain," Knox pauses, unsure of himself suddenly. Should he really be giving away such a memorable thing to someone so unaware of the tragedy that forged it?

"Show me your worth, fine. Perhaps we'll meet again someday and use our bodies instead of our words now that this is done," Knox says with a slow close of his eyes, a moment of contemplation. For it is true, this contest is done, he just isn't sure who's going to take the prize home. But are you prepared to carry the weight of the dead if you take up this weapon, Lotherarius?

KNOX and MANHATTAN

Image by Elope

Cirrus was sought.
Congratulations! Every clue was exactly correct!

_____

Knox guesses Milo.
Like father like daughter?" -- Looks like you are the exception,
--Milo is a boy and does not take after Knox.
--he "looks" like a child a mother would love

The birds sang when you were born,
--Born in Birdsong

With the sun on your back,
--Has dapples (like sunlight?)/silver black makes him lighter in places
--Injured his back at the crocodile god fight, the sun god was there

But so heavy under foot,
--Hooves are heavy

What will life really bring you?"
--History leaves the future up to wait and see.

Knox Stealth: x/x
Knox Points: -.5 (lateness penalty) + 1 (Correct guess) = .5
Lotherarius Points: -.5 (lateness penalty) + -.5 (lateness penalty) + 1 (Correct guess) + 1 (Correct guess) = 1

Point chart:
-.5 for guessing late

@Lotherarius! You do not need to reply in any sort of time limit but the sooner the less suspense. Archibald will judge the un-guessed stealths and deduct points as needed before announcing the winner. In your post tag him and copy and copy and paste the reveals for the unguessed stealths, noting who made them. (These include mine for Tristan, yours for Isopia, possibly this one if I guessed wrong.) Archibald has the final say in the matter and has the right as herd lead to overrule. Should you not win, the item will go back in the pile and you can challenge for it again in whatever manner you wish. It's up to Time whether or not she wishes to join the thread IC or PM us the judging results.

Outcast
Danjah
see—
I’ve already waited
too long
and all my hope is gone.
The talk of war had sent a puff of pride into his chest and the memories of his past victories surging through his brain, but Huric seemed less than wonderful about the topic of conversation. His words were eventually muttered on the opinion with the features that were a part of war. Even a paranoid fool such as Lotherarius knew of the woes of battle, having led many in his short time as chief. He nodded his skull towards the riddler with respect, whilst his tone held the same vigil,
"War is like that, it is something we will never overcome, but to carry the dagger would not only carry what they fought for, but also a rememberance of what it was they were maimed and died for - the good of Helovia," his pools were full of the wisdom of his father, who spoke the same words to him when he had fought his first battle, the pains leaving him mentally scarred forever, "And that is why I think battles are glorious, they bring out the best in the people who know they are fighting for a cause."

The last of the words were edged with a question, one for which Huric appeared to close his pools at Lotherarius as he asked:

"But are you prepared to carry the weight of the dead if you take up this weapon, Lotherarius?"

A sigh left the winged brute's velveteens before he lowered his cranium from his neck and muttered, "I carry the dead of my native homeland, it is nothing to carry the burden of my new people."h.

" . "
Lotherarius
image credits

@Knox

Incorrect. Macaria was sought.

Like father like daughter?" - questioning stance on personality - father is Archibald, Macaria has quite a contrasting personality, known as "docile", "gentle" and "sweet"

"The birds sang when you were born" - born in Birdsong

"With the sun on your back" - magic reference, "Can cause sparks to erupt from her dapples, causing minor burns on contact"

"But so heavy under foot" - a reference to her draft lineage

"What will life really bring you?" - age reference, meaning she has a long future ahead of her

I shall give you that the first sentence might be a bit vague, my bad!

Lotherarius Points: -.5 (lateness penalty) + -.5 (lateness penalty) + 1 (Correct guess) + 1 (Correct guess) = 1
Knox Points: -.5 (lateness penalty) + 1 (Correct guess) = .5

[I'm sorry about the wait, I do hope it wasn't too long! But I shall let you take it from here and the judges of this decide if Loth is worthy of the dagger!]

Please tag me