the Rift

[OPEN] the soul you used to be

Freyja Posts: 15
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3 :: Nine years
Valentine
these lofty thoughts are killing me
preoccupied with what i could be</style>

Freyja stood at the cliff's edge, weight pressed firmly into the ground, peering thoughtfully down at the tide below. The sharp winter air bit forcefully into her, seeking out the warm flesh beneath her coat. She shivered against the breeze, shuddering forcefully with the strength of the chill running down her spine. The sea was quiet today, and she found it strange; she had already grown accustomed to the constant rumble that seemed to loiter in the background everywhere she went. She had not been to the sea before coming here - she'd never had a need, or a reason, or a desire to. The inland forests were her home and she had stayed close to the places she was most familiar with.

The first time she'd heard it, seen it, it was... Exhilarating. Fascinating, wonderful, terrifying. So many things. It sent her heart running, pounding out a marathon against her ribcage, adrenaline singing through her veins. She could spend hours just sitting here, watching the waves come in and out, watching the sun rise from her little vantage point on the north end. As the sky was painted with hues of pink and purple and blue, as the stars faded, she idly wondered what to do with her day; perhaps she could hunt down Myrrine and make a trip to the Threshold.

A particularly strong breeze nipped against her skin, causing her to twitch and tremble. She was eager for warmer weather. She had never done well in the cold, and in fact found her timing regrettable. Spring would be welcomed eagerly, she was rather excited to see how life re-emerged and blossomed here. Spring would bring new opportunities, she felt, and she was excited to truly begin her new life here. If she could carve out her own little place, find a niche in the herd in which she truly fit, then she could foresee herself staying here for a very long time.

She felt welcomed, Elsa and Myrrine had been so kind to her. They were the only ones she had met so far. Elsa had mentioned in passing a stallion named Tembovu, but Freyja had not sought him out. She knew better than to interrupt a king, and instead figured they would meet when the fates felt it was the right time. She had kept a close eye on Myrrine, resisting the urge to stick to her like glue. Call it motherly protection or just loneliness, but she felt so strongly pulled to the little winged mare. It was odd.

Looking down from the sky as the last of the stars faded, the bay wondered if she should set off. Part of her only wanted to lounge here, but she knew she should be productive, or at least try. Laziness was going to get her nowhere, and though her heart raced with anxiety at the thought of butting into herd business, she knew she had to find her place, and quickly.

@Tembovu

and any nurses/doctors/healers are welcome to join as well if they'd like. Sorry for the super duper awful post, I am terrible at open-ended starters!
Please tag me in all posts!

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
the elephant king
Surprise whipped through the surprisingly calm murk of his mind. The monotonous drone of the ocean had lulled his mind into some kind of shadowed stupor. He was not at ease, per say. he was simply not continuously reliving horrors. His surprise stemmed from his gaze alighting on an equine mare at the cliffs. A mare he did not know. As King, he felt some kind of responsibility and duty to at least know those residing in the Edge by face, if nothing else.

Sweeping aside the ire of his oversight of this woman, he sought to rectify the situation. Heavy limbs, right front leg favored every few steps, carried him towards the cliff edge and the bay mare. Navy eyes study her intently, the long white limbs that lent her height. He caught the twitch and tremble of her mahogany hide as the strong gust of frigid wind hit her; his own, thick hide reacted similarly when the wind hit him. In her he recognized a kindred spirit in detesting the icy weather.

Though, as his buckskin hide had darkened and grown slightly thicker than the past Frostfall, he could feel his body slowly acclimating to the true seasons found in Helovia. In Dorobo, the only seasons were hot, hotter, and rainy. Dry heat gave way to floods, but the warmth never truly left the great plains. Quite a contrast to the dusting of snow upon the Edge.

He came to a halt alongside the woman, giving her some berth as he did not know much of her. “I find it takes a full Frostfall to fully adjust to the chill,” his low rumble offered on a lopsided smile. Mbwene, not far behind him, was investigating a particularly deep snowbank. She tooted a brassy chirrup in greeting, “I am Tembovu, and that is Mbwene. We’ve not yet met…?” he asked after her name, navy eyes studying the icy depths of hers.
tembovu
image | table

@Freyja
@Tilney or @Evangeline or @Alysanne or @Glacia if any of you would like to join :]

Please tag Tembovu.

Tilney Posts: 288
World's Edge Moon Doctor atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2hh :: VI HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Peatree :: Lesser Fruit Bat :: None Neverrmind
Tilney
Aiya!
"Where do you think I can find Gillisbumble Weed?" Was Tilneys coo to his sister, his neck stretched upwards to gaze up at the trees. Gillisbumble Weed had been a vital plant his mother had used in healing eye infections, So Tilney wondered if he might find the plant in Helovia. His antlers were almost unrecognisable, instead they looked like something you might see on a sea monster. He had collected so much flora to study this morning it would take him the rest of frostfall and in to birdsong to identify each ones healing properties, if they had any.

"Not up in the trees you Grumpkin!" Carlisle replied snarkily from her place on a rock over yonder, admiring a squirrels home in one of the huge pine trees. "Your mother always looked for it in caves" she finally hinted. "Caves? Are there any caves in the Edge!?" 
Tilney could only snort at his sisters help, which was frankly not quite enough. Flicking a few pile of rocks aside as he went, his hope of finding the precious plant was fading. Perhaps it wasn't an weed in Helovia; It clearly didn't grow in abundance or choke any wildflowers. Shrugging his green cloak further over his whither and craning his neck over his fur collar, Tilney scanned his verdent gaze over his frosty surroundings. "Come on, lets take this lot back to the greenhouse".
"I'll stay here, I want to find this squirrel some more nuts"

He spoke his goodbyes to his sister for now and then headed back along the cliff side trail he had somewhat developed. It wasn't long before he came upon the figures of the King and a stranger, so pressed on happily along the cliffside. "My king!" Tilney cheered to the man he easily considered a friend, bowing his flora filled antlers as he approached. The stranger he stood with was a tall, pretty mare. In fact she was ever so slightly taller then him which was a little unusual. "Good day m'lady!" Was his next bellow "I am Tilney. I apologise for my odd state, I have been collecting plants to examine. I look a bit like a sea creature" He found his joke quite hilarious and chuckled with an odd, uneven laugh. It was quite a plasure to meet this ice-eyed mare though, so Tileny grinned happily at the two friends who stood before him.
image credits

@Freyja

Wander or Leave
turn in to winter lights
☀︎

Outcast
Valentine
f r e y j a
</style>

The crunch of snow beneath hooves alerted Freyja to the presence of another. She watched from the corner of her eye as a body came to a stop next to her, his indigo eyes fixing on her. She had not been expecting company. She turned her head to look at him - he was taller than her by a fair amount, enough that she had to tilt her head slightly upwards to make eye contact with him.

"Yes, I think I was slightly unprepared for this. I never have done well in the cold," she replied, shivering again. "Sometimes I miss my birthplace, it was warm year-round." She sighed, a few faint memories flicking through her head. She turned her gaze onto the horned King, and smiled. "You're right, I don't believe we have. It's a pleasure to meet you, sir. My name is Freyja. Myrrine brought me here not too long ago." She dipped her head, then looked over at the small creature that had accompanied him.

At first, she was a bit taken aback by it, her eyes lingering on its small, rotund form for a few moments too long. Mbwene, he had called it. "If you don't mind me asking... I don't want to be rude, but... what is that?" She meant no disrespect by the question, but she had never seen anything like it before. It was the same question she had asked Archibald in the Threshold, with his companion, a dog he had called it. It looked so similar to a wolf, she had been frightened at first, but this thing, well, it looked fairly harmless, if not a little odd.

My king! a nearby voice rang out, causing Freyja to jump slightly. Yet another visitor? She turned in the direction from which the voice had come, and couldn't help but laugh as she saw who was coming towards them. He looked rather odd, and his appearance, combined with his apparent quirky attitude and the cheerfulness in his voice earned a hearty chuckle from the bay mare. "Hello, Tilney. I'm Freyja. Nice to meet you. You said you were going to examine them? For what?" To make sure they were safe to eat, perhaps? She could think of no other reason why they would need inspecting, and admittedly, her curiosity was piqued.
image credit

@Tembovu

the elephant king
He smiled lopsidedly as she spoke of being unprepared for the cold— he, too, had been woefully caught off-guard by the chill in his first Frostfall in Helovia. Thick, black lips part to answer Freyja’s question about his elephant companion— it seemed most did not know of ‘Elephant’s in Helovia. But they snap shut as brows raise and muscles flex slightly at the appearance of what appeared to be a flora-monster. Mbwene trumpeted loudly in alarm, trunk pointing straight at the startling appearance of Tilney, attention entirely pulled away from her snow bank as she darted beneath Tembovu’s massive barrel and warily watched the approaching beast from that safety.

Though, at the call of the antlered man, Tembovu quickly recognized the face through the mass of greens and browns splayed over it. The tall, slender body also was recognized as it approached. A smile tilted crinkled the corners of his blue eyes as amusement colored his greeting, “Hello, Tilney. It is good to see you again.” He swiveled his gaze between the two others as introductions were exchanged. Mbwene slowly emerged from beneath his barrel, coming around his thick front legs to examine the plant-laden man. Eyes and movements cautious, she only approached because her curiosity was piqued and she felt no danger pulsing from her bonded. Trunk outstretched, she shuffled closer to Tilney’s head.

The Elephant King returned his attention to Freyja, finally answering her previous question, “Mbwene is an elephant. She is my companion, bonded to my soul, as companions are.” He offers more information as he isn’t certain if the newcomer knew much about companions in Helovia. His low rumble falls silent as he awaited Tilney to answer her other question.
tembovu
image | table

@Tilney

Please tag Tembovu.

Tilney Posts: 288
World's Edge Moon Doctor atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2hh :: VI HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Peatree :: Lesser Fruit Bat :: None Neverrmind
Tilney
Aiya!
Only a moment later Tilneys gaze was snatched by the small grey bundle creeping out from under Tembovus barrel. The creature Tileny recognised as a minature version of the giants of his sister Tuppence's homeland. "...an Ellie-fant!?" At least that what he thought they were called. The darling creature must of been a baby; her gorgeous flapping ears and minute trunk was absolutely minuscule compared to the giants he had seen in the great north far away form Helovia. Tilney hardly even heard Tembovus greeting, he was quite enchanted by the little Elephant. "Hello!" He whispered to the kings bonded, stepping onto his knees to lower himself to its level.

The bronze boys gaze soon passed over to the fae who had introduced herself as Freyja, and then quizzed him about what he was to investigate the plants for. "A pleasure to meet you Freyja! what a beautiful name that is" He uttered happily her way, eyes bright and smile wide. "why, healing properties of course!" the boy cheered, tossing one of the bundles off his antlers and onto the ground. "Or poisoning properties also. I forget the name of this one-" he motioned to a flower with black, ivory and cream-coloured petals with a rare blue pollen in the center "-but I call it the Tembovu flower! It looks like you!" He laughed, again with a deep and unneven chuckle as he glanced to the king "I don't know what its root does yet which is why Id like to test it. Hopefully its not a horrible poison, however its flower is edible and very tasty!" 

"Are you interested in healing Freyja?" Tileny asked, collecting the bundle up with his antlers once again, but left one of the 'Tembovu' flowers on the ground. Reaching down to it he took it in his mouth, bringing it to the one named Mbwene. He tucked it gently behind her grey ear and grinned "beautiful!".
image credits

@Freyja

Wander or Leave
turn in to winter lights
☀︎

Outcast
Valentine
Freyja was rather amused by this creature, the way it became startled by the sudden presence of another, running to Tembovu as it sought safety, its portly body just small enough to fit under him. She exchanged her greetings with Tilney, finding his happy-go-lucky demeanor very refreshing. Her gaze was fixed on the creature as it emerged from beneath the massive stallion, its odd little snout stretched forward as if in greeting. Somewhere in her mind, as she looked at the odd duo, she registered the fact that Tilney was speaking to her, answering her previous question about the plants. It took her several moments to process what he had said, turning her head to look at him with a confused expression.

Healing? How could one possibly heal a wound with plants? Her mind tumbled, tossing this new information about over and over again. She eyed the pretty blue flowers of the plants decorating Tilney's back, feeling thoroughly bewildered. Strange creatures, healing plants, this was all so new and so overwhelming. Shaking her head, the bay mare looked between Tilney and Tembovu, not quite sure of what to say. She was still trying to adjust to life here, and didn't want to risk saying something and making a fool of herself. When had it become so hard to fit in? she wondered, suddenly feeling small and out of place.

"Well, I, um... I'm not quite sure. I didn't know plants could be used to heal. Back home - my old home - we just cleaned wounds out and hoped for the best...." This is not home, she berated herself internally, I must stop comparing them. It's time to move on. Her throat suddenly felt tight and dry. "Perhaps -" she swallowed thickly, trying to maintain her composure, "- perhaps you could teach me a little. I'm a very quick learner, and I'm sure I could be of help." She addressed Tilney. She was becoming tired of doing nothing, feeling like she was not contributing properly to the herd, as she should be. She needed purpose, and perhaps Tilney had just given it to her.

Turning her azure gaze to the King, Freyja tilted her head slightly. "I've never heard of elephants before, but they look interesting. She is very... cute. Will she get bigger?" She smiled kindly down at the stout little creature. "I've seen others... with creatures of their own, and I wonder how they come across them. Do you just happen upon them one day, or do they accompany you from beyond the border?" It never really occurred to her that one might be required to seek out the companionship of these animals. "I'm sorry if these are stupid questions, I just... Helovia is so different from every other place I've been. It's new and confusing and -" she abruptly stopped herself, shaking her head a little. "I just feel strange here."
/ image

@Tembovu

the elephant king
Mbwene’s eyes widen as the plant-laden antlers are suddenly lowering, the man’s suddenly at her level. She chuffs softly, ears waving in both excitement and happiness— now she can fully inspect these grassy prongs on his head! Infant trunk reaches out and up, pushing beneath the flora to the smooth antlers. Though she withdrew her trunk as she the bronze stallion spoke once again, tossing aside some of the bundles of plants to the ground.

Tembovu smiled as Tilney answered Freyja’s questions— jovially surprised that the lanterned man had so fully embraced his task as nurse. A lopsided grin crossed his muzzle, brows raising as he named a flower after himself. The King lowered his head to inspect the flower in question— though rose his head as the Nurse alluded to the potentially poisonous properties of its roots. A glance was given to Freyja, deep voice rolling before she spoke, “I am flattered you named such a flower after me, Tilney. But my old friend Kiuaji has joined the Edge, and he was a master poisoner in my old home of Dorobo. He might be able to help you ascertain the safety of the Tembovu-flower roots— I’d rather not see you endanger yourself.” His grin grew to a smile as he spoke. Mbwene distractedly inspected the flora heap tossed to the ground, peeping quietly as Tilney suddenly tucked a flower behind her great ear. Her trunk raised to stroke Tilney’s muzzle in appreciation.

Navy eyes shifted to the roaned, bay mare as she answered Tilney’s question. His head cocked ever so slightly as she swallowed and paused— was it saddens lurking beneath her thin composure? Many newcomers to Helovia had reasons (most often sad) for leaving whatever land they left. But the Elephant King did not pry, instead only nodding as she mentioned being a quick learner. He was glad to have those in his herd put their energies towards a task.

But then her bright gaze was fixed on his, before offering kind words and questions about Mbwene— who, at being the focus of Freyja’s attention, ambled over to properly greet the mare. Trunk upraised and held out, she waited for the woman to lower her muzzle to her. One ear was waving in greeting, but the other held flush with her head to keep her flower in place. “She will get somewhat bigger, but will not grow to the massive size of her cousins— those make even myself look small,” he grinned and winked, “And I happened upon Mbwene’s hatching egg while wandering the wilds. I cannot speak to others finding their companions,” the smallest of shadows crosses his eyes as he recalls the darkness that surrounded Mbwene’s hatching, “But there is no need to apologize— I, too, had many questions when I came to Helovia. The strangeness will pass, having a job will help it pass quickly.”
tembovu
image | table

@Tilney

Please tag Tembovu.