Sean Posts: 12
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8.0 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 2 HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Angel
S
E
A
N
Hazy gems leer blankly at the far wall -- they quietly study the grainy composition of that simple, sodden frame. I continue to stare mutely until those nighttime shadows are forced into full retreat. The tiring knowledge that I'd not slept a wink sits accusingly in the back of my groggy mind...leaving my subconscious to shrug distantly. My heartbeat quickens as a warming dawn brings rare beams of sunlight to fall upon hard soil. I release a breath, slowly, trying to quell those submerged flutters that threaten to swell forefront. These curled limbs push stiffly from the floor; lilacs shift briefly to that dark slate on my right and behind me. Another threshold...another dark room. Obviously my folks aren't awake yet.

'Today is the day,' a fact which bore so much more importance than a few measly hours of lost sleep. Overhead, a splash of dim amber burns out a precious glimpse of pale sapphire. I emerge from our turf covered dwelling; shaking free the remaining haze while easily ignoring the anxious chattering that thrums against the roof of my heart. One glance around offers a testimony that everyone is still asleep. All the occupied holes near our hovel are quaint...innocently peaceful. Though there isn't a total hush, a constant southeastern wind almost always whistles; accented by the thrashing of large waves colliding into our nearby cliff face.

Habitually stepping clear of the doorway -- I fluidly unfold my wings. Those pectoral muscles unhinge, allowing long feathers to fan apart. Feathered limbs lunge into action, drumming thickly upon earth. I push off, kicking, pumping hard on the down-stroke. In our language there are no words that can accurately describe that sweet sense of abandon; or how the wind drags his cool fingers across each flight pinion from above and below. I relish these moments, admiring the quiet strength of flesh as powerful muscles cut deep. Lungs suck with raspy drag the arid stench of childhood that coats my tongue. Primary plumes find a comfortable rhythm, each stroke offers further lift into that overcast sky. The corners of my lips curve into a forsaken beam as this body spirals higher; years of lessons remind me to catch updrafts to aid my ascension.

Orbs gaze fondly upon my childhood home, though the longer I look the more the memorized details suddenly seem incomplete. On the eastern horizon is a lengthy drop-off angling into a misty ocean. Directly opposite that bottomless blue, a proud line of slate timber eventually lead into sharp mountains. Both are shrouded, covered with a blanket of mist and likely experiencing a mild torrent. Below me, our sheltered valley sits dead center; a quiet nest of hills. "Puncho!" Her shrill voice lifts, shattering the peace. Coverts rustle as I turn to face her. "Fháil do arse ar an talamh!" Broken Irish mixed with a splash of English -- obviously someone was feeling narky today.

I don't bother acting the maggot...instead, my toes land swiftly; wisely understanding that today wasn't one that this old lady would be merciful of cheeky antics. Once grounded, she approaches -- all the while eyeing my sleep deprived sockets with a vexed look etched into her normally gentle expression. Those lips flatten into a scowl, "Ar ith tú?" Oh bother...I'd forgot. An apologetic smile tugs upon my right cheek, "Níl." Abruptly, she turns aside; expecting me to follow. Her dark hair cascades across the pale line of that painted spine. Meanwhile, Da's coal black frame appears wordlessly in the doorway; his dull irises watch our exchange with guarded wary.

We eat a final a meal together in uncharacteristic silence.

Finally...I can bear it no longer.

"Tá mé ag dul." Ma lifts her head. She and Da exchange a glance before regarding me. My first instinct is to squirm, I resist and instead allow these shoulders to stiffen -- squaring against their scrutiny. "Tá sé agat am." Her voice is unusually soft, awash with concern and taunt with...pain. That sudden exposure of concealed fever sends a tight wave of responding twinges within me. She was right, I had until noon. Noontide is when the trial would officially start. "The sooner I go, the sooner I can return," those words solidify in brisk English, she begs for time...even as I intend to dismiss any argument. We'd run out of time. The corners of those eyes pinch together while the bottom of her dingy jaw shuffles apart. I brace for that verbal lash to fall...only to be further surprised when she says nothing. Rather, her mouth cinches into a hard line of suppression.

She turns abruptly and marches off, heading for our dwelling place. I can feel Da watching me as she leaves. Violets angle unflinchingly to meet his narrowed glare. "She hates the rite of passage." He admits with a voice that reminds me of soft thunder. Though tempted to drop my gaze out of habit, today I'm careful not to. "I know, Da," thankfully my voice remains level, unyielding to the dark emotion swirling in my gut. With our lips set, we stand in silence until Ma returns with a rough spun length of cordage hanging from her jaws. It was fashioned from the soft wool of a young ewe. She lays the lash across my back and instructs me to pull my wings in tightly. The cordage then begins to move of its own accord -- sliding around my barrel and across the top and sides of both feathered limbs. It pulls snugly, biting into my thick plumes. Once the bind is knotted securely, Ma steps back. There is another glance between them when I test the restrain and find it uncomfortable when pressed -- but bearable otherwise.

We walk to the heading of my journey. A tidy, cobbled eyesore that cuts through our hills and meadows. When we come to a stop, I can feel Ma's hot breath and whiskers upon my lower neck. Her velvet lips are a sweet caress, following a gentle path to my withers. Straining, I turn and brush a kiss across that delicate face. Ignoring the wet creases outlining the area just below her lower eyelids. Da is usually not a man of physical shows of affection -- yet he doesn't hesitate to pull me into an embrace. His powerful neck snakes across mine. The folds in my throat tighten; inky fear begins to seep past the wall of resolve I'd spent a year building. "Cuimhnigh," Da whispers into my ear. The nearest audit twists his way, "Don't stray from the path," he warns softly. That common say is usually followed by, "Or else a wee one will cast a curse on you." The warmth in that memory sends a shot of welcome amusement to my core, strengthening my conviction...but when I meet his eyes there is no reflection of humor within. "Don't worry," I reassure them easily -- because I've every intention to complete this journey without falling prey to distraction. These lips try for a smile in vain attempt to offer some measure of comfort for them...and myself.

The old law states that all adolescents are required to go through a pilgrimage trial...it doesn't mention that some are never seen again. I am the third child in the family -- my brother and sister went ahead many years ago. Time passed...but neither ever came home. Abruptly, Ma pulls away with her head tucked, allowing a graceful waterfall of hair to fall across her face like a shield. Da does the same. I'm shocked by a tight yearning that aches deep in my chest. I want desperately to reach for them again -- strengthen my resolve within their protection until it is iron. Instead, these lungs draw a steady breath. My right forelimb rises to step upon the first stone. Once upon the path it is forbidden for me to look back. "I am Sean, son of the sky and sea." The old rite flows from me, hard and numb -- "Mé forsake," never have I harbored doubt in myself or this task, "mé féin chun an domhain." Another couple of steps has me fully immersed, "agus forsake mo birthright." I never thought my heart would yearn for something so fundamental...

My jaw hardens when a quiet shuffle signals the arrival of friends and neighbors; who all gather behind my parents. I wasn't permitted to look at them, "Go dtí go thagann deireadh leis an cosán."

The weight of their combined stare becomes to much for my mind to imagine. I urge these limbs to a faster pace; my toes clip smartly against the puzzled stone. With bent ears I hear a soft murmur behind me, mingling with something that sounds like a choking sob. A sad thorn prods my heart and I'm overcome with the desire to get out from beneath their eyes...Feathered legs willingly jut faster, pulling me into a near sprint. My wings are taunt against their binding, already resenting their confinement.

Two weeks later...

Helovia

Winter sinks her fangs into my flesh...waking me with a start.

Shutters flutter open to behold a forsaken canopy of bare branches. Irises flick up, leering in a daze at the otherwise unmarred view of a diamond laden sky. White ash is falling all around -- littering my body with cold kisses that melt on contact. Usurping the dull ache that sits between my eyes I lift my head from the cold floor. The binding around my barrel rubs roughly as my cramped feathers strain in opposition. Audits twist ahead, sensing for something familiar. Nothing...not even the wind is in motion. To me it seemed like there is an uncharacteristic silence blanketing this land -- like the forest is caught in a spell. Aside from the sharp pinch between my ears, the physical flesh is unharmed. With care, I find my legs. They are wobbly but sure enough to hoist me without much issue. My subconscious ponders briefly on why each exhale is a stagnant smog...I couldn't remember our summers ever being this cold...or snowy.

The second logical notion to sluggishly creep across my brain is, "Where is the road?" A fresh wave of anxiety has me glancing right, then left -- narrowing at the base of trees and bushes. Dumbly expecting that cobbled path to become suddenly visible. As an afterthought I wonder, "What if I can't find it?" My crawling train of thought screams into action. What if I can't find the trail beneath all this snow?! "Bloody hell..." I shove those fears into a dark room. 'It has to be around here somewhere...' Damp forefeet scuffle the ground, pushing aside debris and three inches of fresh powder.

Glossary

Fháil do arse ar an talamh! - Get your ass on the ground!
Ar ith tú? - Did you eat?
Níl - No
Tá mé ag dul - I am going
Tá sé agat am - You've got time
Cuimhnigh - Remember
Mé forsake - I forsake
Mé féin chun an domhain - Myself to the world
Agus forsake mo birthright - and forsake my birthright
Go dtí go thagann deireadh leis an cosán - Until the path ends

Image Credit

Vu Posts: 28
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 14.3 :: 3 (Orangemoon)
Istina

Time peels slowly away as the sun chases his lover, the moon, around the earth for two cycles before I feel my mind slide back into my body. Blackened eyelids crusted over with two days worth of staring into an abyss lower and touch as a sigh forces through inky lips. I am no closer to an answer. Thoughts unsettled and refusing to cease their plaguing voices run, soar and plummet in my head and yet I remain shrouded in uncertainty. My brother will follow me wherever I go, or so his lips proclaim, but after searching for him for so long I find myself having trust issues. Fool girl, giving up on your savior? I am right, my thoughts persist. He saved me when he had no reason to and for that I swore silently on a silent hill that I will always find him; give him anything and everything he needs.

The lost little girl in my head speaks once more, Without him, you would have died. Indeed. Without Rift I doubt my current existence. Ears move back to flatten as the argument builds up once more, this time with my stomach rumbling its discontent in unison with a rather parched throat. Head tilts slightly to the side, confused, for the barest of moments. I have not moved from this spot, scarcely blinked, for two days. No sustenance crossed these dark lips and pale teeth.

It is no wonder my mind aches and pains me. Shifting young joints that are surprisingly stiff as though they belong to an elder, I force myself to move away from the small shelter I’ve lived in for days. Cerulean eyes, clouded by fatigue and hunger, seek out the nearest pile of snow as hooves shove it away to reveal a patch of grass not yet entirely dead again from winter’s rewrapping of Helovia. Parts of it are still green from the week of warmer weather and I eagerly sink into the meager meal. Once the patch is left decimated I push my legs into motion a second time; toward the unfrozen section of a creek not far quenching my thirst upon arrival.

Cobwebs begin to clear from my mind as the brightness finds its way back into my eyes. Audits twitch and a black tail flicks at the sound scuffling feet nearby. Curiosity grips me but I refuse to listen until I have completed my usual running through of all possible options and outcomes. Through the naked branches I see a male several inches taller than myself with a strange band around his midsection. Bloody Hell.. The words reach my ears as corners ache to lift in a smile; denied by the rules that govern my life. I allow one small infraction because of the strange band and with eyes burning bright hidden in an otherwise careful mask of neutrality, I break through the hedges separating us and softly find my voice,  “Hmm, not quite hell.”

"speech"

OOC:  Hello!

@Sean

-All magic and force are permitted barring serious injury and/or death-
-Powerplay outside of fighting is permitted-
-Please tag in all replies-

Angel
S
E
A
N

While I churn the earth for that cobbled road, an irritating amount of wet snow starts to clump onto my wispy heels. "Arghhh..." Unseen hind molars grind in frustration. A raspy snort of agitation sends frozen vapors to swirl from my snout, creating a cloud of steam to hang in the frigid night air. "Feck...It must be here,” that soft curse rises from my lips like a prayer. Desperation bubbles in the back of my throat. It has to be here. Skyward, the dribbling flurry increases from a drizzle to a tumble – those melting droplets commence with knotting my mane and tail. This summer jacket is bare threaded, a thin shield against the bitter air; though my subconscious is passionately unmindful of how cold and wet this body is rapidly becoming. Ever determined on the task at hand, I continue to feverously push that loose litter aside. Anticipating my prize to become tangible at any moment. A distant consequence, (such as hypothermia,) isn't nearly as important as recovering the sacramental lane.

Each wide rake is followed by another; my saucer size lilacs are stubborn in their resistance to the sickening panic that begins to build within me. "Where is it," I grunt, bitter in the face distress -- and my inability to procure a solution. Aside from the crunching discord my scuffling feet create, the dark forest remains eerily quiet. Even so, I couldn’t be bothered to hear someone approach -- nor could I sense the weight of those intruding eyes studying my frantic search. After living a desolate existence these past few weeks, my guard has become squashed to the point of carelessness. After all...I'd been on the beaten path this whole time without seeing anyone.

There are greater priorities.

At least there was… until a ghostly, purpose shattering voice rings on the stagnate air. Starting, with every nerve suddenly amplified -- I shuffle quickly. These limbs surrender ground; they are torn between flight and fight even as my crown defensively turns to confront her. My intruder, a lithe girl pushes from the ashy wood. She is beautiful...with long legs, a delicate muzzle and striking blue grey eyes. My dismayed attention travels the length of those dark, dangerous curves accenting the front of her body. I relax, subtly -- but that disarming effect is ushered into memory when my subconscious prods me irritably, making me realize that something isn't quite right. Wary violets skip easily to her shoulders and stomach. I’ve already set an expectation to find a pair of folded...wings. There is nothing. I trace that lean spine all the way to splattered ivory. The realization smacks me across the head, leaving me dumbstruck.

She didn't have wings, not a single feather.

Which only left one possibility…

My aversive heart leaps into overdrive and sends an unwelcome concrete knot to the front of my throat. A cold sheen of icy sweat beads under my fur. All island youth are well versed in the stories of creatures such as this...coal black, wingless. Da said that they sometimes appear in the form of a young, beautiful girl. There was no other answer, she has to be a banshee.

While my subconscious is stumbling, mouth agape; grappling with the 'how to' assess and handle the situation -- my snarky soul finds the whole process far too sluggish. Crisp words jolt out, sarcastic to the core, “An bhfuil tú saineolaí ar ifreann?” Chocolate plumes quiver beneath the strap, they strain to remind me of my precarious vulnerability. The damp line of my bearded jaw is set. No turning back now, “Have you come to announce my death, Bean Sidhe?” Audits slice flat against the roof of my head, "I'm not dying tonight," a bold proclamation that sounds much more confident than I currently felt.

Glossary

An bhfuil tú saineolaí ar ifreann – Are you an expert on hell?
Bean Sidhe – Banshee

Image Credit

Outcast
Istina

I admit it may have been foolish to approach a stranger who appears to have fallen on…confusing…times. Taking no pleasure in his obvious distress, I decided to break through the trees only to have my presence fall on blind eyes and deaf ears. This is where I felt a glimmer of regret for my approach, this frantic male clearly in no condition for company. I mentally snort at myself, You are not exactly appealing company yourself. Lips twitch for half a heartbeat at my self-derision though I never lie, not even to myself. It was then I chose to speak dispelling the laden atmosphere and surprising the stranger who should have been aware of me several minutes ago. Features locked into their effortless mask, I give no indication of witnessing his graceless shock. Rules, rules, rules I hear my mother’s voice whisper to my mind.

Cerulean eyes observe as he does, without subtlety or subterfuge. His hide matches mine only in its base, a swirling blend of soft browns and steely greys marring the onyx in way I can only describe as enchanting. I have never seen such a pattern before, but then again, I have not known many pegasi either.  He is far more muscular than I, seemingly a mix of the heavier draft breeds, and though I will never admit to it my eyes linger for a moment. My cataloging of his form is disrupted by a new charge in the air around us and quickly my eyes seek out his only to find them scanning my barrel and back intently. Onyx tail flicks out in a single warning; memories of another time and place threatening to erase my outward calm.

Elegance; always remain composed my mother’s whispering voice fills my head once more.

When did the mask slip down? Quickly I force my face to relax and morph back into line; all anxiety neatly vanquished. There is little I can do for the anxiety bunching my slender form even as I watch his mouth fall open. Expecting to hear his voice where it has been lacking in our interaction, I am unpleasantly denied. His lilac eyes stare hard and perhaps accusing before, at last, he speaks a minute later. The straining, shuffling noise of his wings attempting escape draws my attention and it is several heartbeats before I realize he is speaking another language intermixed with English. Dragging my gaze away from his failing wings, the sarcasm not lost on me, I watch him pin his ears back with one last phrase ringing out.

It is hard to remain composed in the face of lunacy

I stand silently trying to solve the riddle he presents. Bean Sidhe? He’s not dying tonight? My brain scrambles find any context clues or memories that may serve me well here. Having never heard this language before, surely I would recall such an alluring accent; I realize the answer is to simply ask. Ask a madman? Black lids slide closed for half a second before it is my turn to stare. “Perhaps you would care to explain how I would know to announce your death?”Vocals remain soft, elegance and composure are linked to this; never raise your voice above a pleasant octave. His tense state is not unobserved which aids my ability to stand calmly, the mask firmly in place. Curiosity though burns bright and I am not yet afraid of the fall, “And a translation would be lovely.” I risk another line as desperation sneaks into my mind; I want to know what he said in that beautiful yet accusatory speech.

"speech"

OOC: Do you want me to keep tagging you?

@Sean

Hildegunn Posts: 14
Up For Adoption atk: 4 | def: 8.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 13.3hh :: 2 | Birdsong HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Adoptable

No one had anticipated such a savage, bitterly-cold winter - punishment, they could only suppose, the reason for which still seemed as obscure as the infinite wall of white cast so mercilessly upon them. It seemed not to matter the urgency of the prayers lifted to heavens’ breast, nor the painstakingly gathered offerings of frozen rowan berries, preserved leaves and the like (at the selfless expense of their own nourishment); the goddess Skaði would not relinquish her grip over Skjoervø. She was angry, they feared, and her sister was presumably to young to sway the older’s fierce enchantment. So too had their marvellously coloured sky been silenced - each night was frighteningly dark, longer than the one before, and often Hildegunn feared that the light of day might soon fail to rise altogether.

Nervously the small tribe waited, breath baited, willing desperately the return of Ēostre’s warmth, and with it, the new spring growth which would in turn bring them all back to health. Soon however, the young girl’s worry became their grim reality. Two long winters persisted with no summer to break the growing depression, the great darkness which felt to the lingering, wearying tribe like the horror of death itself. It was a phenomenon rarely seen - a once in a lifetime occurrence, and not even the tribal ancients (the oldest and wisest in Skjoervø) could recall the last of its kind. Still, they pleaded and begged for respite, ever faithful and diligent in prayer, trusting that Skaði would one day forgive their sin.

”Hildegunn, kom hit,” a revered ancient summoned, and a vaporous sigh billowed tiredly from his sodden nostrils. Perhaps the cold had been felt hardest by these old souls, bones as brittle and aching as the spent minds wielding them. Hildegunn stepped from the group - the arc of faces peering through blackness towards those who were fabled to have the closest ties to their deities. Many other young horses too were named and in turn called forth from the stew of bodies; they were fit despite their hunger, burly and ripe. Their end had not come, their time of salvation was nigh...

”Du hvert må reise nå utover våre hjem - fra Skjoervø. Jeg frykter Skadi og Eostre har forlatt oss selv om jeg ikke kan si hvorfor. Bare tanken på døden venter på deg her, så du må kjempe havet i øst og finne et liv i verden utenfor. Ta med deg vår kultur; vår tro og du, vår hukommelse. Ikke la oss visne inn i tomrommet av glemsel unge. Hold sann og sunn, og slitasje trygt styrken i vår stamme. Kan gudinnene lede din reise.” The shrewd stallion paused to swallow the hard bubble of grief rising through his gullet - the elderly, the ill and the meek should instead stay behind and face cruel starvation.

'Take with you our culture; our belifs and please, our memory. Do not let us fade into the void of oblivion young ones.' The thinning girl shivered beneath matts of heavy coat as the chilling words rolled with echoing morbidity around her mind; she knew the fate of their tribe well enough, but truth of any plausible future, of her life beyond now brought no sense of comfort to her miserable soul. It was in truth, the end of a civilisation, but Hildegunn would not let the legend wither - ever

And so it came to pass that the young Fjord spilt forth upon the sands of a distant nation, a world so far apart from everything familiar and fine; still wilder than Skjoervø, confronting and new. It seemed the winter followed too, though to a much lesser degree. Beneath feral forests with arms still clutching fine hair, sour grass persevered in slim shafts of weak light - sunlight, how grateful she was to again find its company, and also that of each now returning day.

She stood at last, well sheltered in a copse of woody timber, cosy enough, wrapped in her dense winter coat, remarkably well adapted to life in the most bitter of climates. Dark earthy eyes fluttered vaguely between opposite, alternate realities, bathing in rich sunlit dreams whenever the harsh sting of blustering snow became too uncomfortable. It was a world she knew intimately and where another might have shivered and snivelled misfortunately, Hildegunn’s mahogany smile drifted tranquilly. There was no doubting the night would soon pass- it was merely a matter of biding her time, or so she trusted.

Surely the glistening warmth of Ēostre’s spring was waiting just beneath the shadow of the horizon to the east. The sky at that moment was still an uninspiring wash of dull black, devoid entirely of the wonderfully exciting wink of silver starlight, and looked horribly empty without the soft milky glow of the old crescent moon; upon it she gazed hopefully, lifting forth prayer towards those who’s eerie silence remained. The heavy carpet of cloud smothered the night and all the earth beneath seemed strangely still and silent, waiting with baited breath perhaps, for the mutually anticipated end of the taxing, bleak cold.  

Small Hildegunn looked forward to the return of long, bright and comfortable days; sweet, juicy sprouts persuaded out from the safety of hibernation by the new season (easily the most exciting feature) and emerald buds bursting to life upon stark, naked boughs. She remembered well the whimper of new life, and the rich taste of it too upon a smooth, warming wind- springtime indeed (no matter how mild), and it was to those pleasant promises that the shaggy-coated mare’s mind wandered as another wave of snow began to sweep down from the sky.

When first light did finally signal a new morn, the wanderer had fallen into blissful slumber and it was only at the sudden pitch of strange voices nearby that she stirred. Dark, hairy ears stiffened forward quickly, curiously, and caught the unfamiliar tongue of both male and female present. None of what she heard was comprehensible, and though disappointment strained her searching eyes briefly, the tawny horse straightened her resolve. Hurriedly she shook her stiff body and stepped then from her cover..

“Hei!” Hidegunn sang out eagerly through the frosty air, determined that the foreign duo should not slip away without first pointing her in the right direction (not that she was overly certain where from here she should be headed…) ”Jeg frykter jeg har blitt tapt! Er du kjent med disse delene?” Rich brown eyes thoughtfully surveyed first - the solid stallion, mottled skin rippling across his heavy bones much like the beloved lights of old Skjoervø, alive in the vast night sky. There was tension through his posture she felt (the jaw dangling betrayed this more than anything), and she turned then to view the raven-cloaked mare a little closer - she was radiant, composed, everything he seemed to lack; and the eyes set upon smooth features were as startling as they were entrancing. Never had the simple girl beheld anyone so… unique.

Aelin Posts: 67
Outcast
Filly :: Pegasus :: 15 :: 2
Frostie

Aelin

Is it because my life is ten shades of grey,
I pray all ten fade away.

The strange tongue caught the girl off guard, her curiosity peaking. It wasn't a language she'd ever heard before, it's expressions where beautiful and rough at the same time. The way it drifted over the air she couldn't help but to investigate. Silently she glided over the tree tops, seeing the gathered group she circled above for a moment. Listening to female's voice again pick up and fill her ears with the strange dialect. 'Wow, descending from the open skies the girl spiralled down between the trees and landed smoothly beside the strange female.

Disquisitive, analytical, inquisitive eyes studied the strange tongued female first. The body with contained the eccentricity was heavier than her own however the female was slightly taller - however Aelin felt with her family blood she would eventually become taller than the suave mare. Strangely (perhaps not so strange, only Aelin had not been exposed to many equines before), nothing decorated the mare. No horns, no wings, no scales or weird things. Simply put, the mare was a simple (but stunning) beauty. Dark, intelligent burning liquid mahogany orbs seemed to be filled with excitement and eagerness. The mare supported copious curls of average length, the strands fell thickly and heavily. The darkness of the flaxen strands mixing with the light rich colours rippled lively, causing a dramatic flair. Similar to her own hair, the lighter strands mixed into the dark and the sun that shone through only when she stood under the sun. Their bodies shared the traits of a coloured dun, however this mare had more of a painted yellow while Aelin was a mix of orange, brown and gold. Markings decorated the mare's muzzle and dark brown horizontal stripes on the legs that matched her own. All of this stood on simple black hooves.

Next her gaze turned to the strange speaking stallion. Starting from the tips of his delicately curved ears that sat neatly upon his chiseled, refined cranium she allowed her gaze to drift down to his eyes. The eyes are stained amethyst, exquisite and inviting. Proudly he stands with a thick, strong and impressive body. The girl knows enough to guess that his mighty body comes from a powerful draft lineage. His thick legs hold him straight and robustly. Pronounced feathering that matches his marbled coat starts at his lower knee, the mixture of colours create a soft, silky cascade of hairs. They fan down luxuriously creating a tent-like cover upon wide splayed hooves. His mane and tail is dark, his tail is lavish it's it's length, notably trailing along the ground behind him. The thick locks of his mane is equally beautiful and impressive, his forelock falls across his face, neck and shoulders. She notes that he is also a rather hairy beast, eyeing the swath of hair sprouts under his chin and trailed along his lower jawline. The wings that are carried at his side (they must be mighty powerful the girl thinks) mark him as a good candidate for The Throat. He and his equine friends can join her back home, maybe there they will tell her of their homeland and how (perhaps even why) they came to arrive in Helovia.

The last lassie had not been able to speak the language, making Aelin guess that she was either a newcomer herself who'd simply bumped into this pair or already a member of the Helovian community. Still, the girl looked over this mare with the same amount of scrutiny as she'd passed over the other two. Ebony stains her coat, it is as dark as night and unbroken save for the spots union her back and rump and a stained leg but it too falls to the creeping fingers of night. Eyes filter down from her legs, studying the strong hooves that carry the dark mare with strength and pride. These hooves are stained with the same dark colours as her coat, charcoal and petite. Similar to the other mare her orbs are bright, inquisitive and unique. They are clear, the colour of cerulean staining the rims with a unique beauty. Aelin is also shorter than this mare, leaving her to look up at the dark mare. There is a beautiful silver chain wrapping around her neck, it ends in a gemstone that shares the same hue as her eyes.

"Hello." She's speaking too all, careful not exclude anyone but her words were mostly directed towards the strange tongued mare. Her tone is soft, yet there is enthusiasm and warmth in her vocals. Thinking back to the words she'd heard before the girl was thirsty in he knowledge to learn about their language. Perhaps they could teach her, she would love lessons! To speak yet another language, why that would be an amazing skill to have. She already spoke two languages, the common tongue and the tongue her mother had taught her. "That's a beautiful language you're speaking." Giggling she takes a few steps closer, eyes darting to the stallion and darker mare. "It's like you're singing while speaking." Not sure if the two could understand her, she smiled at all three in turn and waited for a response. Having not taken the time to study the forest around her, winter still gripped the forest. "We should get moving and eventually find shelter, it's been a long winter...aheshke." She offered the word in her rougher dialect in hopes of conveying her message. They'd all need to search for shelter tonight but wouldn't reach The Throat for a while...not unless the mare's sprouted wings. This was of course under the assumption that they'd actually like to come and inspect The Throat, but who wouldn't?

aheshke - Winter

I guess jealousy's the curse that the struggle inspires.

☀ Force and magic permitted. ☀
☀ No fatal or permanent damage. ☀
☀ Please only tag in opening posts. ☀

Angel
S
E
A
N

Her apathetic expression only serves to further solidify my accusations. The girl remains furiously perfect in all regard; a beautiful statue that appears unfazed by my vexation. Which...left me to believe her unreadable regard is what one can reasonably expect in their dealings with an undead spirit. I attempt to recall stories that would give me insight into the habits of this monster; but those old memories are corroded and distant. Though...one trait strikes me as an important classification, this ill omen is known for its woeful scream of despair. A banshee's cry is said to bring misfortune and death upon those who hear it. 

After my reckless verbal lash electrifies the air; I consciously shift back on these chilly haunches...bracing for the retaliation I've already set myself up to expect. Every fiber within me is anxious and filled with rising heat -- tendons are pent to spring into action at a moment's notice. There is a cowardice snip of me that wants to run from this place as fast as my muscled limbs can pump; never to look upon these accursed woods again. But a banshee couldn't be outrun -- which meant direct confrontation is the only solution. I've nearly convinced my subconscious that I wasn't afraid to fight for my right to draw another breath. Even so...this thundering heart lumps feverishly -- forcing an icy sheen of fear to creep passively across my skin. In the back of my mind, a small voice asks if this is the end of my journey...

Over before it had hardly begun.

Her dark jaw loosens, unhitching; I draw a rigid breath and curl up my upper lip with anticipation. Fortunately, no unworldly cry passes from those lips, no gashing of teeth. She doesn't transform into a terrifying, shrieking monster of lore either. Rather, the woman simply attempts to strike a conversation. Her admission is plainly one of confusion...though any possible frustration is unreadable, nothing reflects visibly upon that pristine mask. My pent nerves soften ever slightly. The plates in my mind rotate to absorb this new wave of information -- I quickly come to the conclusion that an undead omen wouldn't bother with conversation. Also, they wouldn't deny themselves. Which could only mean… I’d been horribly misguided. My fear subsides on the wake of cooling regret. “Do Ní ...” vocals breathe out, hinting on the intangible relief that thaws my rigid stance. Damp nostrils flare apart, they suckle heavily on the air between us -- tasting the tension and uncertainty. “If you aren't a banshee..." The off-balance confusion in my cords slide off in a plume of cooling smoke. My attention drifts to her barren shoulders, with scrunched temples digging a ditch as I struggle for an explanation. A needled tone rises from my chest, openly exasperated, "then explain what happened to your wings?” The absence of feathers and her ignorance to the common tongue is befuddling.

There had never been anything like this woman before.

Various mentions of unhelpful lore dash across my mind; though none describe her behavior or physical attributes. I lean forward, centering my weight. An announcing crack of debris caught underfoot and a bright word of unfamiliar origin signals the arrival of someone (or something else.) My nearest audit flicks sharply to the source; I square this body and throw up another rigid wall of antarctic regard. The girl that emerges is different from the first in every aspect...like me, her frame is robust -- though unlike me, the lass is stunted with short limbs. Her face is honest and flawless; a rich canvas of virgin sand bleached by sunlight.  My gaze travels accusingly across girl number 2 -- flaking notice of her finer features in favor of skipping automatically to that plump waist...only to find it depressingly bare. "Blasted bullock's, there are more of you!?" I bite out.

Before anything further could be done or said – the telling hum of hollows pushing into the wind snags my full attention and quickens the pulse. My confined pinions strain against that biting rope. Bits of snow fall to the ground as they press earnestly in response to a jealous surge that tightens it's talons around my soul. In that watchful instant I’m overcome with a wave of dread; tart panic mingles with relief which becomes the colors of my expression. Combined with the clash of uncertainty, it makes me feel sick in a way that nothing else ever had. But those feelings subside when the young flyer touches down, somehow avoiding the dense canopy of branches overhead. I anxiously lean in to trace that speckled hide, grazing her birthright with a lesser amount of brittle irate. Those curious orbs, a mutation of color, fix themselves upon me after regarding girl number two. I again feel an unpleasant tightness building in my chest, useless words of frustration flick to the tip of my tongue…a scowling subconscious barely manages to leash me in. Aside from my spine quivering subtly, (a natural response to the moister sinking past a thin coat) I stand as silent as stone beneath her scrutiny.

This whole business is confusing – and I hate how it left me gasping for balance. Their idle banter has nothing to do with me, but when the child suggests to 'move on,' it sounds like an assumption that we...or rather I...should be traveling with her. Lilacs harden into ice, dismissing the idea, “Dul pé áit is mian leat.” Only when that raspy statement had left me did I remember that at least one member of this trio didn’t understand the common tongue, "Go wherever you want," I translate a second later under a breath of smoke. Dismissing them...my attention shifts to the scuffled areas around us... bitter disappointment is the next wave to strike. Because now the areas I'd uncovered are laden with fresh power, and the night sky seems unrelenting. With a crestfallen glance at the enormity of my situation, I have a moment of brilliant, horrific clarity, "I'll never find it in all this..."

Glossary

Do Ní - your not...

Image Credit

OCC: sure :) keep tagging me

Outcast
Istina

In my life I have generally been alone and left to my own devices with minimal contact with anyone else. I suppose if I were to be questioned on it I would have to say that I find the idea of conversing for the sake of conversing to be ridiculous in the extreme. I have always measured my words and dispensed them as though they are a precious commodity; naturally this served to further my isolation as most find this a disturbing trait and presume arrogance the source. Whispers behind rocks and trees not meant for me to hear everywhere I traveled and inquired as to my brother’s location. Little speeches meant to ridicule, hurt and wound my supposed pride were I to hear them. I have excellent hearing. Charcoal lids slide briefly closed against the memories; the past is not the present and I regretfully have not been attending the conversation as closely as I should while waiting for this stranger’s explanations
Remember, child, in all things you must be aware and calculating. The pestering voice of a presumed dead mother fills my head this third time.

I need no reminders of this yet my subconscious intervenes regardless. Clear eyes now shift to the side, observing for the first time his appearance beyond the unusual patterns of his hide and bearded face. Why does he bear summer’s coat? A flash of concern dances across midnight features, he is sweating slightly and has not the warmth of a winter’s coat. The expression is quickly smothered, there and gone in the space of heartbeat. His words soon reach me and draw my eyes back to his, blinking lazily as it suits me. I cannot tell what he is thinking but I sense the subtle change in the air as perhaps some fear ebbs away from him. The eternal mask I bear becomes difficult to hold upon the word “banshee”..he thinks me a screeching demon? Never have I heard myself described as such before, not even by the whispering fools of my memories.  Again he turns his gaze to my shoulders in confusion and I allow myself the barest moment of utter frustration but remain still as stone; a statuette.

Explain what happened to your wings? He finishes and I expel a small puff of air, the display of my frustration.

Blackened lips part and pull back, indifferent words on the tip of my tongue but immediately are swallowed back by the rustling sounds of another’s approach. Cerulean eyes turn to newcomer, unease threatening and stilling an already frozen form, my inexperience with others chafing against patience. Allowing my gaze to roam the mare’s features, I am tempted to relax. She seems most pleasant though I do not understand her speech and blink in surprise at the arrival of another foreign language to my ears. Her stockier frame is nothing if not lovely, curves forming in the right places balanced by budding muscle. It is clear she is younger than me though not by much and I quickly realize that I stand taller than she; something of a rare find for me. Dark brown eyes bear kindness and my own pools reflect it back to her until the stallion speaks out again and breaks through my façade slightly. For a few seconds my lips curl up into a bemused and hardly seen smile.

I look to him, the smile lingering slightly and reply softly, “Surely you do not think this one a banshee as well?” Turning away I address the mare next. “I do not understand.” My penchant for few words shining through, though I keep my tone light if not borderline friendly. The evening’s chill blows through then and I glance to the male curious how he is handling the frost and falling snowflakes. This new mare and myself have proper coats and I find myself thinking of other lands and how I suppose not everywhere sees the seasons at the same time as Helovia. Truthfully the weather is not a topic I pay close mind to and I enjoy standing in the rain as much as stretching out beneath the sun’s warmth. Another rustling sound breaks me from my silent musings and briefly I hope to find my brother descending from the skies. Knowing it cannot be him as he does not know where I currently am I feel a keen disappointment in my chest; an all too familiar ache building. Sure enough an even younger mare gracefully lands next to the foreign speaking mare and proceeds to examine everyone present as though they are under observation for a study. Neutrality firmly fixed in place, the former unease I felt pushing its way back and demanding I give it credence. Indeed, I easily give in and begin to formulate; weighing all options before me and debating with myself on how inappropriate it would seem if I were to simply turn and depart.

Deciding I care little what they may think of me I ignore the howling protests of my mother in the back of my mind and turn to go. Before I can put much action to use however the filly speaks and I stop squeezing eyes shut in unspoken annoyance. Fine, mother, you win. I turn back then, my new position placing me next to the male and I almost step away from him but compassion grips me when I notice a subtle tremor running the length of his spine. Instead of moving away, I shift so I stand mere inches from his banded wings so he can absorb what heat he can from me without contact. Physical contact is lost on me and in truth I dislike it immensely or I may have pressed a little closer.

Curse my compassion and damn these infernal rules.

The filly speaks again addressing the whole of the group once more and I raise an invisible brow at her announcement. Why she should think I would follow her is beyond my comprehension and my features and limbs freeze into their statuette form. Before I can speak my first companion of the evening does and I relax ever so slightly at his soothing tongue though I know not a word of it. He then appears to remember me and softly translates before looking sadly at the new fallen snow and saying another cryptic phrase. I quickly take my turn and this time my voice lacks light and is entirely indifferent though pleasant enough for my purposes. “Indeed it has, however I do not know why you would presume to have me follow you?” I cast a glance to my left at the stallion and for half a second confusion and concern share a dance in my eyes at his crestfallen expression.

"speech"

OOC: okay =)

@Sean
@Hildegunn
@Aelin

Adoptable

For several months she had been but a fallen leaf at the mercy of the wild wind, stepping obliviously between hemisphere’s, from one freezing winter into the next (eternal the season did seem); searching a vast and rugged continent, that before had nary existed outside the strangest of dreams. All Hildegunn had ever known was the Nordmandsvik archipelago - a tiny island on the brink of the world, which had always harboured the very ancient line of her clan. To find herself in a world so enormous was both wonderfully exciting and painfully intimidating, but accountability motivated her stride forward through the tides of grief and uncertainty that doggedly pursued her mind.

Despite the phenomenal length of her journey - the forests navigated and fields covered, the young horse had found no trace of distant kin. Wolves, deer and more unusual wildlife had crossed her path, but never had another equine been discovered. It was unnerving loneliness which began to spill into her thoughts, worry that the tribal ancients misunderstood the land beyond Skjoervø, and that she might now find the slowness of time as her only companion, forevermore. It was a terrifying concept for one born into the fond breast of intimacy. The life of a rogue was an idea as foreign as the old redwood labyrinth she had come to pause within - the folk at last found…

It seemed that here, equine brethren were about as numerous as elk upon new spring grass.

You will not fade, Hildegunn’s heart murmured gently as her large, warm eyes switched again between her company. She had indeed arrived, and this was not oblivion. The male spoke first, his tone unmistakably agitated, and the pale-brown coated girl flinched cautiously in response. His language was quite unlike her own and stable, standing ears swivelled to find the other before the turn of her stiffened expression. The mare stood as though frozen, but it wasn’t fear radiating from that striking blue stare. Soothing softness served to loosen the tautness from the two-year old’s skin before even she had become aware of its presence - nervousness that had stalked from the moment her salt-soaked carcass had washed ashore.

The tongue of the night-cloaked female again graced the air and despite her lack of comprehension, the younger regarded each sound, each curious syllable, with unwavering focus; the other mare turned at last and addressed her as though to conclude. A smile, puzzled, but pleasant nonetheless lifted her tapering muzzle a little. I do not understand, she answered in thought alone, before eyes swerved back towards the stallion (distracted only briefly by the sound of snow plunging from the ratty canopy overhead). She noticed something about him then that had been before overlooked.

”Hva er dette?” she pondered well beneath her breath, narrowing in on the very avian feathers he had tied with rope (or similar) to his sides. With somewhat of a bewildered quirk marring her otherwise flawless face, Hildegunn lifted her eyes towards where his supposedly lurked beneath a heavy, obsidian veil; for a second she thought she found glinting lavender gems in their stead. The youngster thought suddenly to bite herself - force herself out of this nonsense dream and back into the cosy reality Skjoervø offered. Feeling a little foolish, she retired in lieu back to the mostly humble appearance of the mare - but alas there was more to her also than previously perceived. Around her neck was sewn a silvery-slack vine, and upon her bosom (at the adornment’s lowest point), was hanging a stone as brilliantly blue as her eyes.

For a moment there was deafening silence as each party seemed paused to behold the other.

Bird’s wings brushed the frosty air above and sooty nostrils lifted rapidly to greet the descent of an oversized eagle - one who rapidly took on the identity of a winged one-of-their-own. Hastily she slipped a second questioning glance by the stallion’s attire. As the new female came gracefully to earth near Hildegunn’s side, the little fjord studied shamelessly the extent of oddities displayed across her and failed in turn, to notice the same being done to herself in much the same moment. It was funny - the cool, quiet ambience surrounding, at least it had seemed mute enough until the arrival of the half-bird. The forest seemed at once to stir curiously out of its  winter dormancy, and even as chocolate eyes strayed towards creaking branches, she might have sworn that buds, before which had not existed, now decorated the boughs overhead; despite the miserable cold, the world seemed to brighten. A warbler broke into bright chorus somewhere nearby.

Another bout of pensive hush before the newest among them adopted herself into the conversation. The language she brought seemed similar again to that being used in part by the stallion and wholly by the black (the pale spots upon whom she was yet to notice), yet still the young foreigner knew not what they were conversing about. It was rather a frustrating issue, but she settled back across burly haunches to centre her attention alternatively on each tone presented, their glance and movement. It seemed to her like the bird-girl was gesturing word in her direction, though discreetly, and she wished earnestly with a brave smile that it made sense - even maybe just snippets here or there. ”Aye,” she hummed blankly and with some reserve as the other shifted nearer. There was no hostility in the mellow caress of the other's speech, so that was reassuring.

The stallion at once dismissed whatever had been mentioned and Hildegunn’s sturdy hips rocked as the hooves beneath shifted rest from the left to the right; there was no doubting the rising chill in his exposed glare before its attention shifted to the white forest beyond. With growing interest, she looked to the other mare - the first. She was considerably more composed which lead the listener to wonder just what had prompted the stallion to react with such vehemence. Finally she switched focus back to the young winged one, rich brown eyes sparkling with intrigue as she awaited the response.

Aelin Posts: 67
Outcast
Filly :: Pegasus :: 15 :: 2
Frostie

Aelin

Is it because my life is ten shades of grey,
I pray all ten fade away.

Clearly she'd caused upset. The group seemed to rally together in outrage at her presumption. It wasn't a necessary response to her (perhaps audacious) way of thinking. The girl's smile drooped, her eyes flicking between the three adults. The way the stag had spoken upset her and the dark female demanded more from her. A response to her question and assurance that she could continue to think for herself. It was making the girl uncomfortable, warning alarms sound in her head. This might not end well, if she continued to push them Gaucho may have to come scrape her flattened form up from the forest floor. The girl felt it was time to leave, to head back home and not bother with these ones anymore. At least not until another day, one where they might not be so offended by her.

"I see." Nodding to each she stretched her wings and prepared to leave them. "I've offended, please accept my humble apology." Her gaze danced towards the female one last time, wondering if she might have followed. "In my eagerness to offer you all shelter I presumed too much." There was no point in getting into a argument with the ill tempered stallion, it was best to take her leave. With nothing else to say she turned from the group. This lot would not hear any warning or receive any invitations, they would find a way to navigate this land without her help. So she spread he wings, took a few running steps and lifted into the air. The girl did not look back or utter any final words. Taking to the open skies she flew away, leaving them to their troubles and feeling the freedom that only flight could bring.

Aelin out because she doesn't know how to recruit properly. If any of you want to check out the throat just tag her in a different thread.
Kept this short and sweet so you guys could press on without waiting for me.
I guess jealousy's the curse that the struggle inspires.

☀ Force and magic permitted. ☀
☀ No fatal or permanent damage. ☀
☀ Please only tag in opening posts. ☀

Angel
S
E
A
N
I burn those awkward seconds that tick on with self-prodding. These oversized lungs suck a breath and hold it while I attempt to replay the last leg of my journey. I could easily remember all the events that occur after waking --- but what about before that? The dull ache laying beneath my temple comes roaring back with vengeance, my countenance wrinkles in discomfort as the fingers of my mind search in their meticulous way. Dim, shapeless images arise…making my subconscious scowl at the memories that would normally be brightly lit and easily accessible. Now they are cloaked with darkness.

Only one memory of questionable timeframe is brought into the light.

Silver gulls cry out beside me, laughing at the loon that walks their path. I stumble down a narrow road -- that treacherous trail of stones has been poorly managed. To my left is an unforgiving section of razor shoreline consumed by repeatable waves. The other is a jagged wall of granite that runs nearly forty feet overhead. My terrified heart is fleet, echoing in my ears with the blood it pours into my mind. Those ill-fitted stones are wet and the path becomes hazy with fog twenty feet ahead. Loose bits of rock slip, skidding beneath these toes. Each jolt sends a powerful lurch to my chest, stinging my high-strung nerves – every step begins to feel like the last. I’m openly afraid of falling…no matter how quick the death would be.

I’ll never find it in all this…

My subconscious leers dumbly at the frosty ground. We wait for inspiration, for the tectonic plates to shift beneath us or for the snow to suddenly vanish.

At first (largely due to personal distractions,) girl number one barely hits upon my radar as she speaks with girl number three in a manner that has considerably less thorns then my dismissal. In addition, my subconscious doesn’t notice (at first) that those dainty black toes have shuffled a step closer…allowing number one to easily confront the group once more. Trembling visibly, my heaving barrel leans deftly to her warm carcass, like a moth drawn to a dangerous flame. This lean coat of hair is sleek with moisture from the callus weather. Cautiously, my body inspires to have a mind of its own; boldly it hovers, dancing a mere inch from her proximity and promise of heat. Number three had mostly faded from my attention, yet it is her lithe voice that snaps me from a self-induced trance. My head lifts, the skin around my eyes crinkle while the curve of these ears slip back to mate with that unruly mess of locks. A sharp lash of long, wet hair strikes smartly against my lower leg – a visible discharge of frustration.

Over-sensitive snapper…I didn’t have the energy or time to lick her wounded pride at the dead of night in a strange, snowy forest. Number three would have to do her own licking. She turns to leave with those thundering feet sloshing into the mess; the last I see is her graceful body leaping into the air with a few rapid clouts – never looking back. Another soft, irritable grumble swims from beneath a hazy breath, “Don’t let the branches hit your arse on the way up,” my subconscious rolls a set of figurative eyes at my snarky attitude. It was in that moment that I notice how close number one is.

These nostrils flare, surprised by the sudden fervor that shoots down my throat. Her scent…though sharp, reminds me of the northern air back home and the foothills. With a shivering groan of denial that runs through my meat like a tremor I take a sharp breath and sidestep purposely away to shake the lingering weight of snow from my spine. The casual action puts a respectably amount of distance between our bodies. Yet my skin still hums with remorse, pleading for relief. Lilac stones run the length of her powerful neck subtly. Her warmth is inviting on the physical aspect – number one might not be a banshee…but she was very much a bait and hook.

I spare a hard glance to number two as a distraction, she’d taken up the outward challenge to look as lost as I felt. In any moment I expect them to wander off; leave me alone with the plague of thoughts circling my mind like vultures. Abandoned in these accursed wood. The notion would have given me comfort (even joy) minutes ago – but now the idea struck me as terrifying. Only pride clogged my ability to admit it. My subconscious presses for the center stage, I relinquish that metaphorical platform without an argument; we are both tired and freezing…and lost, “summer has never been this cold.” Though the ground is mostly uniform…my first instinct was to assume we stood at a great elevation.

Why else would there be snow? “Have you seen a road around here?” Gems rise, centering themselves upon her icy irises should she allow it. Tonight, I’m breaking all the rules.
Image Credit

Outcast
Istina

I can see the filly’s countenance change swiftly and my heart twinges, snapping out an awkward rhythm until it passes. The same compassion that drew my blackened form closer to the summer’s coat was not found when perhaps it was truly needed and maybe, just maybe, I allowed my own irritations to take the lead. Yes, you were too hard on the child. My mother’s voice chastises me from its place in the deepest recesses of a conflicted mind. Azure eyes continue their study of her innocent face marking the differences between her and I. When she speaks, she apologizes for assumptions that just maybe were not as offensive as I allowed her believe; a heart edged in black twinges once more.  

The child turns and takes off in an impressive display of flight then and I quickly smother thoughts of my own apologies from charcoal lips as eyes are forced to turn away from the night sky. I send my gaze toward the foreign mare and allow those eyes to light a scant amount; truly I prefer not to chase away all those I meet despite my discomfort with crowds. Lips part to softly speak an introduction but a pause fills the space as my peripherals spy the male leaning closer. Elegant muscles not far relaxed instantly hold themselves still as the familiar mask surges to the front where it had been waiting in the wings. Somehow I missed his motions and now see his swirled from much too close to mine. Indeed I stood next to him with the intent to assist…several inches away; an ocean compared to the failing creek now separating us.

His accented tones reach my black peaks reducing the heat of anger building beneath the surface of my skin to a simmer for the time being. Apparently I am alone in my regret of the filly’s treatment. Deciding to forgive his actions in light of how frozen he must be and the lack of actual contact, my attentions are quickly turned back to the mare. Again, before words can fly her way the bizarre stallion shifts to displace the snow gathered on his form sending some of it to splash against me. Cerulean eyes turn emotionless yet piercing; a sharp gaze raking over his now snow free form. Black lids slide closed and my head swings back for a third attempt at addressing the mare while lids slowly open to reveal the scant light’s return from before.

Knowing she seems to not understand the common language the male and I share, a white socked leg lifts up with toe pointed back to myself. “Vu.” I quietly say, not intending to offend if indeed she understands the language but merely wanting her to know my name. Immediately after the name leaves my mouth I hear him announce summer never being so cold and I realize the reason for his lack of winter dress.  Shifting back to the corded beast, I elaborate, forgetting to mask statuesque features. “I am Vu, since you no longer appear to believe me a banshee.” A brief pause while I force chords to remain pleasantly neutral when his gaze holds mine. “It is Frostfall, winter, in Helovia where you now stand. As for a road, there are no paths I have seen large enough to be considered a road.” I allow my voice to trail away then, able but unwilling to say more as I fondly think on the old adage, “A word to the wise is enough”.

The wind dances through then, caressing my flesh with icy fingers and imparting a desire to seek my bed. Not knowing how to convey this longing to the foreign speaking mare, I decide I can wait a little longer until my brain formulates an effective way to communicate. I do not like the idea of leaving her to freeze or find her own shelter in the entrance to Helovia and truthfully wind-proof places are difficult to find in these woods. Cerulean eyes, now carefully encased in neutrality, turn back to him and I force myself to softly say, “You will not survive the night if you do not find shelter soon.” I think on the place I found to stay not far away and begin a silent debate on offering to share it with these two strangers until morning. The mare is sweet to all outward gazes and it is easy to decide on her part; the stallion though is a different matter. His words, though enticingly accented, are confusing and his mannerisms I find utterly lacking but that compassion from before creeps its way into my thoughts. A solitary swish of an onyx tail is the only warning before silence is broken.

“If you do not shower me with snow a second time, you may stay the night with me.” Shrouded eyes seek out both wondering if I leave whether or not the mare will catch on before coming to rest again on his lilac stained pools. He was a fool to move away from the warmth I previously offered and even greater a fool to press closer; seeking more than I can give. Physical touch is lost on this soul having never been embraced or even poked the first two and a half years of my short life. The space I offer will become rather cramped should three of us wait out the night inside it and contact will be difficult to avoid. Carved muscles unfreeze as my control slips and a sliver of a tremor runs the length of my body. He will die, if I do not help. is the mantra I set to replay even as tarnished hope now twinges my heart that maybe tonight I will not be alone. Hmm...loneliness is new.

"speech"

OOC:  

@Sean

Adoptable

A cool wind whipped about the small group of four, whistling through the sparse, spindly redwood tops and buffeting the silent, occasional meander of powder-fresh snow; if only even for the briefest of seconds. A mane once roached traditionally into a distinguished, dramatically two-toned crescent was well grown now, loose, free, flapping with wild vigour in the blast of crisp, invigorating icy air. Hildegunn lifted broad nostrils high to sample that marvellously familiar flavour, sucking deeply until the expanding lungs within her ribbed chest ached - there she clenched yellowing teeth and held tight the feeling, before releasing again moments later with a heavy, rattling sigh. She could only pray to Skadi and Eostre now for clemency, for the salvation of those left to starve on the forsaken island, Skjoervø, her home; worry plagued her conscience constantly, even if she found herself able to distract her mind for much of the time. The eccentric, rather wordy group she had found herself standing with served that purpose perfectly.

The mother-tongue was alien, confusing, and reading the language of their bodies was made more difficult by the dreary pitch of the icy night, but the sturdy young horse followed the conversation’s progression the best she could.

The youngest among them was swift to shed the youthful confidence and warmth with which she had initially approached - the soft smile dressing her pale, night-dimmed lips sank with the lead weight of discouragement, and her gaze (vibrant eyes, one blue and one green) looked to switch between the three faces before her. The disappointment seemed to the watching, attentive Fjord, to manifest throughout her feminine tone as she again spoke, chin bouncing and strange bird-wings spreading grandly into the frigid darkness, either side of her slender, graceful, speckled form. Hildegunn was an affable creature, raised with a sound moral compass, and it occurred to her quickly that the girl had been more or less wounded by the reaction of (at least) the outlandish stallion; he had been terse in his apparent preoccupation. Instant concern engulfed her, and the feeling leaked quickly into her own mild expression. What was the  young creature’s name? Aheshke, she thought to proffer (an olive branch, perhaps), but the exotic sound of the word only rumbled clumsily upon an uncomfortable tongue. All too soon - much faster indeed than thoughts could be aligned properly, the winged girl turned from them and took swift leave towards a glittering sky.

It was an unfortunate withdrawal indeed, trailed by the low grumble of masculine retort.

Chocolate pools narrowed carefully as they swung by the feather-flanked beast along the way to the blue eyes of the black - she seemed far friendlier, a safer destination for the multitude of questions still hovering about the traveller’s wearying mind. As they came upon their target, the movement of a white socked limb below drew momentary distraction while the soft hum of one, easy syllable brushed her forward-tipped ears. Vu? It was a far-cry easier to repeat than the afore mentioned Ake…Aske…Ashekte… Her throat rumbled gently in bothered response to the undeniable language-barrier. Still, Hildegunn was confident that Vu meant in fact, the title of the raven lass. She smiled amiably, answering introduction stalled by the stallion who then again began to speak.

Anew the harsh wind stirred, unable to penetrate though, the thick, weather-safe blanket the traveller wore. Her skull sank briefly and charcoal-tinted lips rummaged through slush for any hint of lurking spring; alas the good-season slept on soundly.

Furred ears, ever erect, seek out the next thread of words to break the awkward silence - the eerie stillness which had strangely settled immediately after the bird’s exit. Stark eyes lingered briefly on the two year old, en route to the male; there was a thoughtfulness about them, not so equally shared with he, she thought. Hildegunn received it eagerly, licking wet lips and tossing her head gently. "Hil-di-gahn…" the girl’s unusual drawl offered, a name at least. Nose drifted nearer the other mare, slowly, nonchalantly, and she sought to confirm "Vu", the name, before murky eyes sought the same from the painted grouch. This was surely progress, and her skin flinched vigorously with hope renewed.

Angel
S
E
A
N

I’m treated to what must be a rare glimpse of the girl beneath that shield of ebony stone when she decides to give a simple name, a practical label for that dark face. Indistinctly, her chiseled mask slips for a single instance. Quick lavender stones race to study those elegant lines and wrinkles as if I’m seeing them for the first time. She becomes locked tight shortly after – continuing an irritating habit to conflict with my expectations. In light of everything, a quiet smirk can’t help but taunt the corner of my lips when she all but sours at being mislabeled, “Aye,” I’m moved to agree while allowing a cold smile to touch both cheeks – but their warmth doesn’t reach these vigilant eyes. Concern for her bruised pride hadn’t made my mental check list; as a result, there is no inspiration in me to apologize for a slight that hadn’t visibly damaged her impression in the slightest.

When she replies, the answer douses me in icy water. I feel my heart sink as it forces the whisper of a smile to vanish in the wake of another befuddled frown. Those unfamiliar names sit on my mind and only serve to rattle me further. Disquiet settles between us like the frozen moisture drifting down from heaven. Winter? My internal shelves of logic are in a shivering disarray. How could that be? I’d left home in the middle of summer; yet the atmosphere seeks to make me look like a fool. Every follicle stands on end when the unmoving air finally lashes out with antarctic inspiration. This threaded muscles stiffen and huddle for warmth. My crown tucks, cloaking my features with a silky waterfall that acts as an effective barrier between myself and them. The unwelcome show of her soft concern forces my mind to shift from gaping disbelief to warm enmity.

Hooded stones don’t bother rising when Vu prods my subconscious with her cheeky mouth in regard to an unintentional snow shower from moments ago. Rather than an amused chuckle or grin that might’ve formed in reply in a different situation – nothing…nothing but numbness rises from me. “No.” I say quietly, obviously uncaring that I’m not clear as to what is being replied to. Hot, red anger bubbles on the surface of my soul. This mind rivets in torn correction, full of logic and desire…pain. I ignore the tantrum my thawed subconscious kicks up. “Tá mé ag dul ag siúl,” autopilot curtness slides from these clinched lips, uncaring that she wouldn’t understand. That offer of warmth, her concern for my wellbeing – all of it suddenly seems as false as the unexplained women herself. She is wrong – it feels easy to sooth myself with the denial.

Lies, all of it.

Turning into the direction my mind believes is southeast, I force this brisk carcass to obey the commands my mind shouts forcefully. These limbs begrudgingly set a rough pace, pulling me from their company with resentful shivers racing down each leg. Number two spoke just then, though I could barely hear her soft tongue from beneath the blood pounding in my head – one velvet ear tips back, catching her name on the wind; like a ghost whispering from the silent hollows around them. Feathered limbs break into a slow trot, pushing me through this white and black wood. No road, she says. Helovia. "Lies," I whisper aloud to convince myself.

I need you to be wrong.

Sean exiting unless stopped.

Glossary

Tá mé ag dul ag siúl - I'm going to walk

Image Credit

Outcast
Istina

As I watch the unnamed best I dare not hold my breath and carefully begin the process of tucking away this new found emotion somewhere dark and far away from my conscious mind. Loneliness is not an obstacle I have encountered often in my young life, now do not mistake my meaning as I have generally been alone. A friend to none and known to many. For a solitary beat of my heart I succumb to the wistful longing building and imagine a world very much like that of my youth. In an instant, a memory laden and painful instant, images flash across my mind’s eye. A little girl smiling and nearly skipping in anticipation of the day’s upcoming adventure, wind tossing blackened tuffs of growing hair around her face. Her brother, Tausret, is taking her to observe the birds by the coast in all their winged glory. Soft blue eyes take in the sights on their way down to the cliffs where the birds live, glimmering brightly in open excitement; she has always loved the birds.

His singular response is what rips my soul back to this awful place where nothing is as my mind only seconds ago saw it to be.

Nothing passes through tightly locked inky lips and the fight to stow away the burgeoning sensation of actual loneliness is beginning to fail. Considering my numerous travels and what some would call adventures (how could I compare them to the idyllic days of my childhood?) one might call me a liar for announcing the lack of loneliness. It is never easy to banish emotions and memories to a place where the light will never shine on those dusty boxes. The more you are alone, however, the easier it becomes to shed one skin in favor for another.

Cerulean eyes now bearing unmasked sorrow glance to the woods beyond him while the crack is sealed in the wall and the light dims on several dusty boxes.

He speaks softly and my distracted ears strain to catch his words but soon I note how his language has changed; the lilting tones deceptively soothing despite the curtness. Charcoal lips move from their rigid pose and begin to speak even as eyes now safely masked follow his retreating form. “Truth, above all else.” A rule from the past held close to a tightly bound chest. I have been, by nature of my mission to find my brother, forced to do much to gain information but not once has a lie ever crossed these lips. Truthfully, his accusation wounds; Keep yourself tucked away Another phrase from a now dead mouth appears in my head and I struggle to obey as shimmering eyes turn to peer upon the nose being cautiously presented. Simultaneously a growingly familiar voice offers a return on an earlier gesture and unmasked features tilt into the barest of smiles. Sensing the need to confirm the identities spoken I raise that same half-socked leg to myself and speak,  “Vu” before extending an onyx hoof to her while saying, “Hildegunn?”

It is then that a cerulean gaze catches the flight of a sparrow and hope threatens to carve its way out of my soul. A soft voice reaches out while I gesture to the same path the unnamed fled down, “Follow him?” Despite his accusations I will see him safe; his present state worries at my conscious and I begin to slowly track after him, hoping Hildegunn understands and join in my pursuit.

"speech"

OOC:Vu leaves too. <3 

Adoptable

It was confirmed through the thoughtful gesturing of the blue-eyed black, that indeed each of their names had been given. Vu and Hildegunn, her thoughts rambled for the final time. The paler coated girl grinned broadly, affably, more or less wrapped in her own agenda and less so the tension still undeniably taught between Vu and the male - who had by then, vacated the precinct. It seemed as though the murky, mottled stallion had not quite heard her plea before he’d gone, though queer it seemed given the rise of suffocating, awkward silence which at the time of her asking, had smothered their small party.

Hardly deterred from her quest, the young Fjord called after him, “Ditt navn?” Alas, his ears were stone deaf and Hildegunn turned with a small shrug of her tawny shoulders as his shadowy form dissolved entirely into the flanking tree-line. “Skam…” she barely whispered, a little disheartened, warm, brown eyes coming to rest loosely on the still darker silhouette of Vu, “Jeg vil gjerne vite navnet hans.” Though his body language quite clearly demonstrated a preference for privacy, the Fjord’s desire for company far outweighed any level of common-sense - she had been searching this vast, lonely continent for life for so long now, that she was not for one second planning to throw away an opportunity such as this. With her voice roused only enough to touch the ears of the ebony girl, she suggested they go also, “Vi går,” and gestured in the direction of his departure with a gentle shift of sooty lips.

Within that same moment, the other mare spoke too and then stepped conveniently off after him.

It was true that Hildegunn was quite oblivious to the nature of the conversation before held between her companions, friends (she presumed both boldly and innocently enough). She had not realised that the other female wished to lead them to safety, some place beyond the frosty fingers of the winter night perhaps, although the shaggy dun was hardly bothered by the cold. Quietly, she also stepped away through their little clearing, gaze wandering just briefly by the glittering expanse of midnight overhead and soon she found herself buried beneath interwoven boughs, groaning and grinding against one another awfully.

Nostrils fluttered and sucked greedily as they teased across the sodden, slushy surface of the earth, searching for trace of their game eagerly and surely enough, his scent lay still as thick as pollen might upon a warm wind. Soon though she grew tired of the effort required to track, and leant heavily instead on the path of the ghostly-black, not far ahead.