the Rift

[PRIVATE] The bigger picture.

Aelin Posts: 67
Outcast
Filly :: Pegasus :: 15 :: 2
Frostie

With ease she navigated through the lush grass, making her way over to the rushing river. She'd heard the sound from a fair distance away but opted to weave through the grass, collecting the early morning dew on her coat. The feeling of the wet drops running down her legs, mixing with the salty sweat that coated her from flight was pleasant and refreshing. Even at a year old she was still gaining strength, flying as often as possible to gain strength and stamina. Duel coloured eyes were not focused on her target, instead they studied the world around her. The girl watched the way the trees in the far distance tilted in the wind, the grass twisting, twirling and dancing in the breeze and the water bubbling, splashing and shimmered in the early sunlight. It was a stunning morning, proving to be a fairly reasonable day, despite that fact that it was still winter. Altering her direction slightly she made a more direct line towards the river, the dryness in her throat becoming pesky. Arriving a the water's edge she took deep grateful gulps of the sweet water, relishing in the feeling of the cool water swirling down her throat. With drips running down her neck (washing away some of the sand of her homeland), the girl turned back to surveying the world around her.

A few months ago she'd given up the search for her long lost brother. Again he'd just disappeared but this time she doubted she'd ever see again. Through her magic she'd been trying to communicate with him through his dreams but either he was advising her by falling asleep at random time or had traveled far enough that her magic could no longer reach him. Trying to force the worry from her mind, the girl wondered what had processed her brother to leave this time? Where families always this tricky? Or was it only Hawke playing this vanishing act? Aelin supposed neither of her parents had been a constant influence in her life, her father had been around the most yet he'd been busy running the Throat. Her mother was...well Aelin wasn't sure where, she'd just hoped that she was alright. Along with being concerned for her brother's well being, her mother was also a concerning question. Lastly there were her two other siblings Rhoa, whom she simply adored and Zenobia who she'd met once and wasn't too sure about. The older girl scared her slightly, her over the top enthusiasm didn't sit well with Aelin. Still the moment Hawke, Zenobia and her mother returned to her she'd welcome them back with open arms...alothough perhaps not Zenobia, maybe just a kind smile for her older sister.

Returning to the cool water she took a few more gulps, purposely splashing so that the water washed away some more of the sand. Finishing at the stream she tilted her head back and surveyed the skye, the early morning birds circled above her. Stretching her wings she pondered joining them, only to give up on the idea. She'd never been particularly fond of birds.

There is no such thing as reality.
There is just you and me.
I guess jealousy's the curse that the struggle inspires.

☀ Force and magic permitted. ☀
☀ No fatal or permanent damage. ☀
☀ Please only tag in opening posts. ☀

Sohalia the Transcended Posts: 477
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Astraeus :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya ChaoticMelodies
Sohalia
the Transcended
That it was still winter was an unfortunate truth that the newly impregnated mare was simply having to deal with.  The memories of the harsh Frostfall that she had suffered thus far, paired with the difficult birth of Aleta on the coldest day she could remember, did not bring even the semblance of warmth to the mare's heart; in fact, it terrified her.  She was afraid that it would never be spring, that the birds would never return to herald the arrival of greener grasses and blooming flowers, that she would give birth yet again in a frigid wasteland to yet another child that could not possibly be healthy, given the circumstances of its conception.  She was afraid, and that was the long and the short of it.

The fear followed her everywhere, even intruding upon her dreams; she had woken just this morning in a cold sweat, having chased her deceased daughter Skysong across the sands of the Throat, only to watch her caught and murdered at the hooves of the WildFire.  She had bolted to her feet in a panic, glowing red eyes (but his eyes aren't red?) emblazoned on the back of her eyelids, and it had taken a sharp nip from Astraeus to reorient the Transcended with reality.  The ivory mare was sure that she would feel better if she could only find a hint of springtime, and so off she went, planning to meander her way through the Thistle Meadow until she was ready to fly for home.

(Let's just ignore the fact that she no longer knew where 'home' was.)

It was a lovely morning, despite the darkness that yet lingered at the back of Sohalia's mind; she shoved the terror down, forcing herself to take in the mild morning air, the pretty drops of dew --

Suddenly, she wondered if she could crystallize a dewdrop and, pausing, she summoned her magic.  Its light was a cleansing pull against her soul, and when she next opened her eyes, a small pendant with a tiny drop of water was settled amongst the grasses at her hooves.  Satisfied, the mare smiled; she picked up the trinket and, with Astraeus's help, strung it onto her necklace, where it nestled against the crystalline rose that she had worn for years.

The soft bubbling of a creek caught her attention and pulled her to its edge; she took a drink, and the frigid waters served to wake her even more, forcing her out of her nightmares.  When she looked around, she was surprised and delighted to find the form of a pegasus that she knew quite well.  "Aelin!" she cried suddenly, bolting towards her daughter as though the girl might disappear if she couldn't get there fast enough.  "Ma shekhikhi!"  My little light.

"Talking."
-Astraeus.-

@Aelin - wow, that was kind of strange, so, I'm sorry about that. :| She isn't showing her pregnancy yet!
Sohalia
Image Credits
Please tag Sohalia in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to place an order?  Visit Crystalline Creations here!
Want to plot with Sohalia?  Visit her plot page here!

Outcast
Frostie

It wasn't just her name that made the girl look up. It was the voice. "Mama?" Her eyes blinked confused as she dropped her gaze from the skies and searched eagerly for her mother. Turning she saw the white rushing towards her. "Mai!" Mother Her youthful voice cried, there was a plea buried beneath the vocals. 'Stay, stay with me.' Tears welled in her eyes, and she moved to embrace her mother. As the girl reached towards the white that was her mother's warm body, she realised her body was trembling with relief. The drastic change from her calm and placid mood before shocked her. How could the appearance of her mother change so much in a matter of moments? Perhaps the disappearance of Hawke had affected her more than she'd realised. The doubt that she'd ever see him or her mother must be deeper that she'd felt. Of course it was different, Hawke had just vanished her mother wondered, traveling from land to land. Although, admittedly, Aelin hated it. Selfishly she wanted her mother to never leave her side, or at least to come back to living in The Throat. Somewhere where she'd know her mother was. Then whenever Aelin needed her mother she'd know where to find her.

"Why have you been gone so long?" It's not a demand, rather a teary question. 'Not just from the Throat,' eyes closed for a few tender moments. 'I couldn't find you and you couldn't find me.' The pain behind these thoughts were displayed openly upon the girl's face, painted in thick, dark colours. There was no blame, only unanswered questions and hurt. After taking a moment to calm her bubbling emotions she opened her eyes again. Orbs of the sky and earth look to her mother, although she knew the response wouldn't truly matter. What mattered was that they had each other now and that her mother still wanted to be with her. So Aelin would simply enjoy the time she got with her mother, accepting the a=fact that it may be awhile until she sees her mother again.

"Tell me a story." The girl asked, her eyes wide as she studied Sohalia. Tearfully her voice trembled, "Tell me about our family." Tell me something that will distract me from the pain. She didn't want to think it...but it seemed Hawke was never returning. He'd abandoned her, decided to leave her behind. Her twin was supposed to be her life-line, the only one she could depend on. Without him she was just another filly in the world struggling to make sense of why certain things happened. She was desperately clinging on to what little remained of her family (or the members she knew anyway). Rhoa and Gaucho where the only constants in her life. Zenobia, Hawke and Sohalia were a constant source of worry for the girl. Why had they left her and their homeland?

Was it because of her?

That was her biggest concern, something that hid away in the darkest corner of her mind. The thought that preheats she was responsible for them leaving. She wasn't strong like her siblings, she was gentle instead of someone they could rely upon.

@Sohalia

Sohalia
the Transcended
Whatever joy the ivory mare felt at the appearance of her daughter was muffled by the girl's tearful greeting.  Aelin ran to her, accepting Sohalia's embrace; the Transcended was aghast at the realization that her daughter was trembling against her, filled with guilt by the unadulterated need that defined every syllable of the girl's greeting.  The mare tucked her head around the young pegasus, wrapping her neck around Aelin's to pull her closer.  "My darling," she whispered, fighting to quell her own tears before the girl could see them.  Her fears, her hurts, her problems -- all of them fell away when presented with Aelin's pain.  If nothing else, the dove could be strong for her.

"I'm sorry, ma shekhikhi," she murmured, grief making her tone deeper and rougher than normal.  "I didn't leave you on purpose."  What else was there to say?  The Transcended had no explanation, after all, only lost memories and educated guesses.  How was she to explain to the girl that she suspected that a Rift had whisked her out of space and time, depositing her many moons later in a land that she no longer recognized?  How could she offer apologies for disappearing, for allowing Aelin's father to find a new love, to create new life, to begin a new family that the filly may not have been a part of?  (No, that wasn't right, Gaucho would never abandon some of his children in favor of others; his mate was the only one who had been forgotten.)

The request for a story surprised and delighted the Transcended in equal measure.  It felt like eons since she had been able to entrance her children with tall tales of times past, and she welcomed the distraction from the tearful reunion that threatened to overtake her.  Her stomach twisted as she realized that Aelin had grown up, had matured, had found ways to protect herself from the disappointment that her mother and siblings had brought her.  I will not desert you again, she promised in silence, smiling at the filly through her guilt.  I will not be a source of your pain.

"A story," the Transcended mused aloud, releasing her hold on Aelin and cocking her head to one side thoughtfully.  Astraeus perched on her hindquarters, chirping his own greeting to the girl before falling silent, preening his electric feathers.  What kind of a story could she tell Aelin?  What good was there to admit about her relationships, her motherhood -- it was all failures, again and again.  - Best be honest, - Astraeus advised; the Transcended agreed wholeheartedly.  She would not make up a story to appease the girl, not when it would not have been true.

"A very long time ago, before I met your father, I was courted by a stallion named Note," she began, hoping that she would not turn her daughter against her.  "It was not true love, but he was kind, and for a time I thought that I would be happy.  One day, Note disappeared, and I was all alone.  You never met your half-siblings; Diniel did not survive birthing, and Skysong passed away before you were born.  But I cared for them alone and filled my days with motherhood and crafting."  As though to illustrate, the ivory mare pulled at her magic, shaping it around a pretty stone on the ground.  Should Aelin want it, it would make a pretty pendant.

Sohalia wondered if it would bother the girl, that her parents had not always been together.  She paused, allowing for questions, and then continued:  "One day, I was flying over the oasis, and I thought it would be fun to see how fast I could fly.  The easiest way to gain speed in the air is to fall, and so I tucked my wings and dove toward the water.  I flared my wings to soften my landing and splashed into the oasis; when I turned around, Gaucho was standing at the edge of the water.  And so our relationship began.

"It was not always easy.  Zenobia was our firstborn.  She is... wayward, at times, but she has Gaucho's fire.  Shortly after her birth, a darkness consumed Helovia, driving its inhabitants underground - have you ever heard of the Heart Caves?  We survived there for months on end.  While we were there, Note reappeared, intending, I think, to renew his courtship of me.  Of course, your father had long since claimed my heart,"
she added with a smile.  "Gaucho challenged Note in the caves.  It was a bit silly, really - Gaucho fighting for my affections, as though they had ever been in question - but in the end, Note backed down and left.  I haven't seen him since.

"We emerged from the Caves none the worse for wear, and I was elected alongside Ampere to lead the Throat.  Gaucho had disappeared after the darkness passed; when he returned, he could not remember anything that had transpired for a time.  Still, he did eventually remember me, and it was later that year that Rhoa and Ivezho were born.  Gaucho and I ruled the Throat as Sultan and Sultana for a time, but I was captured by a band of mercenaries from my homeland.  They had hoped to secure their position as rulers their by forcing me to rule alongside them.  I escaped and came home, where Gaucho and I were reunited, though I no longer claimed a title.

"I came back to Helovia in time to board the giant ship and avoid the Earth God's flood; I spent my time with Gaucho and the rest of our family.  The waters receded and we returned to the Throat, where I happily stayed for many seasons, finally giving birth to you and Hawke.  It was perhaps the happiest time of my life, for I was surrounded by my family, who I loved with all of my heart.  It was after your births that I approached Gaucho about helping the herd.  I hoped to contribute as I had not been able to in some time, and he gladly allowed me to join the ranks of warriors (can you imagine?).  I am, unfortunately, rather unsuited to the task.  In retrospect, it is comical, though at the time, I was a bit of an embarrassment, I'm afraid.

"One day, I left to go on patrol, stupidly thinking that I could handle it on my own.  I cannot explain what happened, or where I went - but it was not until this past Orangemoon that I appeared in Helovia again, feeling as though no time at all had passed.  I did not return to the Dragon's Throat immediately - I didn't want to cause any of you undue pain, and I thought that perhaps if the wounds I had inflicted had healed, I would do better to avoid reopening them.  I see now that I was wrong.  And so here I am.

"You see, me shekhikhi?  I have disappeared before, I know, but I always return to those I love."

"Talking."
-Astraeus.-

@Aelin

Sohalia
Image Credits
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Outcast
Frostie

As her mother tucked her head around Aelin's body she inhaled her mother's familiar scent. The warm, rich and homely scent of Sohalia filled her nostrils. Trembling with both excitement and relief as her mother wrapped her neck around her own and pulled her closer. Aelin went willingly, pleased to feel her mother's touch and warmth again. "Mai...mai...mai." The girl whispered the word three times, also like a hymn - a praise to the being who had grown and birthed her. The pain of her mother's absence had been felt but being held by her mai now allowed every prick of pain to be felt at once. In her mother's embrace she was strong enough to bare the pain.

Her mai's apology allows a watery smile to pull at Aelin's lips, her heart growing heavy at how her mother's grief was making her tone deeper and rougher than normal. Nodding at Sohalia's words, Aelin accepted that her mother hadn't left her on purpose. A weight lifted from her shoulders, something she'd been worried about. Finally an answer to a question she'd been carrying around within her. There had been so much going wrong in Aelin's world that she didn't stop to consider her selfish thoughts. To the girl, this was about assuring herself that she hadn't done anything wrong. This had become a time for the sandy princess to be told that she was still a nice, decent soul. Selfish, no wonder Hawke left you. It's no wonder because you clearly don't have the heart of your family. Shame burned through her chest at these thoughts, she concealed this from her mai. At least for now. For now she wanted her mind taken off her troubles, a story.

At her mai's smile Aelin settled down, keen to listen. Ready to allow nothing but her mother's voice fill her. After all, these vocals brought her comfort, this was the only sound she knew for the first months of her life.

A story, said her mother clearly thinking. The sandy girl grinned, patiently waiting for the Transcended to think of something. As her mother released her hold, Aelin watched as she cocked her head to one side thoughtfully. Eyes flickered towards Astraeus as he chirped. She hadn't noticed him perched on her mai's hindquarters, chirping his own greeting to her. "M'ath hazze. Ishish ato asshekh kisha laz afis." She spoke softly to the bird, cooing at him. Speaking in her native tongue was what came naturally to her. While in the beginning she'd struggled to master the harsh, guttural tongue, it had quickly become her preferred language.

When the story began she settled down, allowing her mother to speak uninterrupted. 'Someone before her ave?!' A strange idea for the girl, she'd always pictured her parents only loving each other. Yet it made sense that others would have loved her mother before her father met her. She was a beautiful mare after all! Aelin smiled at her mother, a smile that faded as she learned of her mother's abandonment and the fates that fell her older siblings. "Ojil mai." She would never knew her older siblings but her heart ached for her mother all the same. Yet she quickly became delighted as her mother demonstrated her magic. A pretty stone on the ground began to take shape and the girl smiled. The stone ended up sparkling in the light, it would make a very pretty pendant indeed! Delighted she gave a quiet chuckle, knowing that it was for her. "It's so pretty mai! Thank you!"

"So, has ave ever loved someone other than you?" Aelin asked then pondered on her wording. Moments before the Transcended had told her that it had not been love with Note. "Or just been with someone else...I guess." Aelin wasn't upset by the idea that her parents were together at first, it made sense. The girl found herself again being eased back into her mother's story, she listened silently. Once her father made an appearance in the story Aelin perked up. Hearing about the two before they had children together became the strangest idea to the girl. Having never met her older, now deceased siblings, it was an odd idea to think of them as Sohalia's first. To Aelin it would be her strange older sister who would, at least for now, continued to be thought of as Sohalia's eldest and her oldest sister. It would probably be best if she patched things up with Zenobia, their first meeting hadn't exactly been smooth. Aelin added her sister to her mental list of family members she needed to track down.

Yes, she knew all about her sisters nature. When they'd met a few months ago, Zenobia had been terribly overbearing, too loud and pushy. Only a few months old at the time they had met, Aelin had found the encounter stressful. Yet that didn't mean that she shouldn't work it out with her sister and the way mother spoke of her...she sounded honest and loving. Aelin nodded in response to mai's question of The Heart Caves, she'd flown past them quite a few times yet had not explored them yet. Still, living for months within a cave sounded awfully dark and claustrophobic. The girl also smiled at the mention of her father, hearing of his protective nature towards her mother's affections. It was so romantic! Challenging another to make sure he couldn't even attempt to claim her mother! Aelin smiled, wondering if a great love like that was in her future.

She hadn't known that her mother had lead The Throat for a time! That was certainly amazing! Aelin knew that her mother was a strong soul, she birthed and raised children then survived through that ordeal in the caves. Now she knew that mai had been a strong leader of the herd! It was amazing! Frowning at her father's disappearance and the confusion that clouded his mind, the sandy girl felt her stomach turn. It must have a good ending or else she wouldn't be here right now...right? Yes. All was well and that brought about the birth of...twins? Aelin simply adored Rhoa, she loved her big brother with every part of her soul. Yet she had no idea that Rhoa was a twin! He'd never mentioned it to her, something else they had in common. They were both missing their other half. Aelin quite liked the idea of Gaucho and Sohalia ruling side by side, they were such a strong pair in her eyes. Only it came to an end. Why didn't the good things last in her mother's life? It wasn't fair! Her eyes grew wide when she spoke of the band of mercenaries from her homeland who kidnapped her. Nodding sadly at her mother's loss of position, Aelin sighed.

A flood?! That sounded awful, how on earth would the inhabitants of Helovia had survived that without a boat? What about the animals that weren't invited onto the boat? Prehaps only those who could swim were left behind. Yes. She liked that thought. It was nice to hear about the times her family had spent bonding. Something that she greatly desired would be for her entire family to gather and spend time with each other every year. Then came the time for her own arrival to be added into the story. Finally her and her brother's birth had come and Aelin beamed up at her mother. Not that she really remembered much about or after her birth. Yet she pictured it as a happy time for both her mother and father. It was the day that she and Hawke had taken in their first breaths together. That must have been a wonderful sight.

Aelin shook her head at her mother's embarrassment. "No mai, there's nothing wrong with trying!" The sandy princess certainly was not embarrassed for or by her mother! Aelin had never been able to see herself as a warrior, she was small, weak and lacked any offensive magic. She desperately wanted to be seen as a strong daughter of both Gaucho and (as she learnt from her mother's story) Sohalia. Yet how could she? The Dreamwalker only commanded dreams, not the fear in other's hearts. "I think you're able to do everything you want. You're amazing mai!" The girl said proudly.

If she thought no time had passed then surely she'd not been too concerned about her and Hawke? It made sense then, why mai had not returned immediately. She probably thought both of her new children were safe within the Throat. Which they had been, yet like all children eventually they wonder and began to look at the wonders outside their homes. While she'd caused pain it had never been intentional and Aelin's heart had only hurt because she believed that it was her fault that her mother had left. She'd misunderstood her mother's actions and why she'd stayed away from the Throat. Then Aelin realised that perhaps mai didn't know that Hawke had disappeared. Her heart sank and she looked away, no longer able to meet her mother's gaze anymore.

"You came back to me." She kept her gaze lowered, eyes studying the ground closely. "I don't think Hawke will though." Sniffling she tired to soften the blow her words might cause. "mai, mae's ... gone." Aelin finished lamely. "He's vanished into thin air and I don't know if it was something I did." Suddenly her eyes welled up, the tears leaking down her cheeks. They began dripping onto the pretty stone that her mai had made for her. "He said we were meant to stay together, always." Her heart thundered, pain searing through her chest. "Kifindirgi ajjin me ajjin disse anna?"

@Sohalia
Unforgivable wait! I'm sorry!
kifindirgi ajjin me ajjin disse anna? - so why is it just me?

Sohalia
the Transcended
If her story was too much for the girl, Aelin did an excellent job of hiding it. It stretched on and on, the filly seemingly content to listen, only piping up with a question every now and again. It was a strangely cathartic exercise for Sohalia, who had been struggling with so much recently; so, too, she thought it might be good for Aelin. If nothing else, the girl deserved to know about her parents' history. About her mother's history.

When Aelin asked about Gaucho's love life, the ivory dove hesitated. "I know that he has been with others," she admitted after a moment, though she was careful not to reveal too much. It was not her job to reveal Gaucho's unfaithfulness to their daughter, particularly not when she seemed to be in such a fragile mental state. "But love... love is rare, and true love rarer still. Of that, you would have to ask him." Sohalia herself had never asked Gaucho about love - at least, not about any love he had for anyone else. She had always been so focused on procuring his love for herself and only herself that she had never wanted to know about anyone else.

And on and on the story went, twisting and turning until she ended up at the present time. To the mare's surprise, her daughter seemed enthralled by her story, even going as far as to praise the Transcended for trying to be a warrior. A soft chuckled slipped from the mare's mouth then, and she reached for the child to gently ruffle Aelin's forelock with her lips. "I can hardly do anything," she told her daughter ruefully. "But the important thing is to try, Aelin. Always try your best, and never give up." It was cliche, sure, but it was also the truth.

Sohalia watched as her daughter grew quiet, studying the ground beneath her hooves. A slight frown creased the dove's face, growing only deeper as Aelin's voice grew somber and tears leaked from the corners of her eyes. "Oh, ma shekhikhi," the mare crooned softly, reaching to try and pull Aelin under her wing. "I am certain that Hawke didn't leave because of you, my love. Sometimes..." she hesitated, pondering the right words to reassure her daughter. "Sometimes things happen that are beyond our control, and then that makes other things change, and we can't really figure out why. But it isn't because of you, Aelin. I promise."

"Talking."
-Astraeus.-

@Aelin

Sohalia
Image Credits