the Rift

[PRIVATE] starry eyes

Valdís Posts: 24
Dragon's Throat Filly
Filly :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 1 year
dark
tie a rope around your neck,
and let me kick you off a bungee
There was nothing here, nothing anywhere. It was a quiet darkness, a familiar shift of winds against fresh skin dusted with red sands and white freckles. It was simply black, weeks of corrupt sight left hopelessness in its wake, despairing at the idea of knowing I will never see again. Those few moments of raw, unexpected bliss, where the sun was brilliant against the rough lines of Momma, where she seemed so soft (so calm) before the storm. It was so sudden, the curves of tender features falling away to reveal sharp edges and eager teeth, seeking to take away that soothing light. The green of the grass, the gentle spattering of flowers kissing at my body, the blue of the sky and cool winds pushing against the trees—

It was taken away quickly and instantaneously, not a moment of hesitation as the warmth within Momma's tired eyes turned into something sour and disgusting, hatred. And with her fury went my sight, lost were all those possibilities of a pleasant childhood, swallowed by unadulterated fear.

The pain swallowed me up as the life I'd only just been given flooded into the empty sockets and washed over my face, granted my first look at pain within moments of my first look at life. Oblivious and unable to understand, I suffered beneath the weight of Momma and laid slick with her sins, given precious moments to admire the world before it's wrenched from me.

I hold desperately to this sight of Momma looming over me, a precious calm before the disaster struck. It's all that I can envision, all that I see in the back of my mind when I reach out for something, anything. But even those few seconds are not enough to last forever, beginning the painful process of fading away as each day passes. I can feel it slipping between my fingers, dripping down into the oily black pool of nothing that swallows up my body greedily. Soon enough I will live without it, a blur of light against a vast darkness, a violent plea ("I don't want to be left alone.") as I realize that eventually it will leave me. What will I do then, when I cannot remember the greens and blues of the world around me, of the red flooding my sight and the flashes of chestnut and ivory as everything was taken away?

There is nothing here for me, and there may never be. I have been placed into a world where I am nothing but a burden, an extra piece that hangs onto the hip of a woman incapable of caring for me. She holds me close to her every night, refuses to let go even as I squirm out of sheer panic (blood red consumes my vision, I cry out in anguish), determined not to let me escape her grasp. I have come to accept this, to lie completely still in her presence as though movement may trigger another tragedy. She leaves me be otherwise.

I find that it's even worse to be without anyone at all, where I'm just a single body among nothing. I try to find something (someone) else among it, finding only cold air against my lips as I wander the infinite space. On days like today, I will find my ankles being kissed by something frigid and loud, a prominent presence as it laps at my dirtied coat. I could have wandered into it a great deal longer, if it not were for the overwhelming anxiety of getting lost in it (I am already lost), so I keep to where only my ankles are submerged and dare go no further.

I am eerily still, mangled appendages held at my shoulders, limp and just as depressing as the hastily dressed wounds over my eyes. Momma tried over and over to peel away the leaves she used to keep the blood from running too thickly, pooling too much, but each time she made a strangled noise and left me. She doesn't like looking at them. At me. I can tell it hurts her to look at me, a pitiful mess that she (unwillingly) created, and sometimes I can hear her mumbling ("I'll starve it,") to herself when she thinks I'm not there. I've learned to move with hushed steps, ghosting my hooves over the earth as I step cautiously, hesitant on moving forward. I never know what waits for me.  

@Sikeax

Sikeax the Sea Soul Posts: 355
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16 hh :: 5 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Hobgoblin :: Common Rougarou :: Water & Seoul :: Plain White Dragon :: Toxic Breath Zuno
Amara is gone. It’s never been a thing that has heavily worried her to the point of franticness, but Hobgoblin continues to scold and abuse her over the  panic that has been steadily  settling in her nerves and brain. Healers are supposed to be good at hiding their feelings, the winces that shouldn’t ever be made in the direction of their patients, the laughter she sometimes thinks about spilling at the overreactions made about pitiful, simple wounds, and definitely not panic over things that others would find immature and a waste of time.  
But Amara makes her scared in a plethora of ways: fear of attack, fear of death, fear of that smell and those words, fear of trust, fear of…. abando-
“Monster not worth You. Monster not good. Let Monster die.”
I can’t. She’s my responsibility. I couldn’t live with myself if something was to happen to her.
“MONSTER TRY KILL.”

She has never been brave enough(or attempted to summon up enough bravery at once) to tell Hobgoblin just how true his aggressive, spit-spewing words of rage and protection are. She doesn’t want to think of that face, the one with grey skin and golden eyes like the moon during Orangemoon, the black blood in her cuts and gorges in her body where skin and muscle should be making themselves at home but weren't, the bones staring her down with their pale glares, an insult to her and life and death as Amara choose to play God before her very eyes. Every word from that day haunts the halls of her memories like a ghost that she unintentionally summoned, telling her how everything is her fault.
And maybe it is. She can’t stop the thought from entering her head as she yells that same word over and over again. “Amara!” Please.
 “D I E.”
I’m sorry. Please come back

She wishes she didn’t have him, that he wasn’t burrowing eyes so similar but so different to Amara’s in her burning, wounding skin and listening to every thought in her head, feeling emotions that he doesn’t want to feel as she so desperately tries to soothe herself.
“Monster not worth You. You better. Let Monster die like Monster want.”
How can we be sure she wants to die?
“Care for no one. Hurt You.”
You don’t care for anyone either. Do you think you should die too?

Something comes from him. If one is never truly to feel a bond there is no way to explain, but somehow she knows the difference between his emotions and her own, whether he chooses to reflect her’s back to her so that it shows her what she is doing or if he is feeling something genuine. This is genuine, and it strikes her heart like a sledgehammer, breaking the pieces of glass its constructed of and sinking them in her ribs, scattering them.
Pain. Hurt. Those are the only ones coming from him that she is sure isn’t her's reflected back over.
“Hobgoblin care for You.”
I’m sorry.
“Know.”

He draws the tears from her eyes like the rain, and he lets them fall from her blue clouds without ever thinking of a way to stop them. She has never thought of hurting him, never even thought that he could feel pain like that, that he cared for her.
If she had hands, she would have clenched them and pulled her fingers into tight, small fists, and would have let her feelings clot there. But she doesn’t, and her next best bet is to simply let him know, because there is little that can be hidden between a paired of bonded, entwined souls.
You make me feel important in the smallest ways.
The waves are hitting their feet now, and there is some little part of her that tells her that Amara would never be found out here. She They could scour the sea together, spend days and even weeks looking, and never find a sign of Amara in the depths.
With both of their hearts heavy, filled to the brim with emotion and one another’s sadness, they are confined to the brink of their home, debating an embrace. Neither take the first of many short steps that would become strides into the sea, and as if Sikeax had finally grown old of her favourite thing, she is the first to turn away from the expanse.
Foam builds at her knees and he gives way to an easier seafaring form, slipping through the waves in the deeper shallows, now far from her side. He is the first to notice the child’s legs, how they don’t move and stand like the pillars of a great statue, something the sea might someday wish to swallow whole.
Maybe in search of a way to cheer his sorry state, he stalks them, never once thinking that they would never see him in their entire life.
He inhales til his lungs cannot possibly carry any more air, and when he feels that the child is close to have his pleasure sited upon them, abruptly rises out of the waves and blasts salt water against their skin. Teeth ignite the darkness where his black lips had once been, and as he takes his time with flinging and showing off the impressive set that he has been blessed with, he notices something different.
The mental image slaps her like the back of a hand. It breaks the barrier that she’s built up around her emotions through the years and without thought or hesitation, reaches down and rips forth a cringe worthy of worrying about.
“Baby no eyes.”
He isn’t far from her. Correction: they aren’t far from her. Her front legs are already bursting through the waves with all the power they can muster, stupidly reimagining that sight over and over again so she knows what to expect. Both of them are still there for her to find when she reaches them, Hobgoblin’s features painted with pain and discomfort from the sight he has been forced withstand. The wings will never be beautiful, like this child, this poor, hopeless, disgusting child that she can say only a mother could love.
How dreadfully wrong she is.
“Kill baby. Baby nasty.”
No.

The closer inspection is worse than she wants it to be, and at this point in her time as the Dragon’s Throat’s only long term Sun Physician, she should have known better than to expect things to be pretty. People come to a healer when they are sick and dying, and sometimes, they’re just found that way, as if the world has given them to her for her to save them.
She is not an angel. She is not a priest. She is nothing more than a being trying desperately to get through the motions of living with her own problems while working without thought of herself to make sure others are happy when she cannot find a way to be. She is only a single soul, trying, in a world of sufferers.
“Hello? It would be embarrassingly stupid to expect the child to see her approaching, and she can’t be sure of how well their hearing is against the rolling sounds of the waves and Hobgoblin’s pitiful attempts at singing softly.
Oh, how she loves to hear him sing.
“Turn in the direction of my voice. I can help you.” Please let me. “Who took care of your wounds?
They’re terribly dressed, as if the worker had no idea of what they were doing, or were too weak in the stomach to access the situation. She doesn’t blame them. Blood is leaking from the hastily done dressings, from the places where her eyes should be. Someone is going to have to take them out and off for her to properly care for the wounds, and Hobgoblin is not gentle enough in his touches to do the work, nor can she imagine him wanting to do it.
But isn’t it what she signed up for when she took this job? It’s never something she has cared to think about, but it has presented itself before her, a gift from the Gods, as if they expect her to prove just how much she can take before she breaks.
Despite the absolute horror of this mess, she tries to find her solace in imagining what colour the child’s eyes might have been originally. Vibrant greens, soft blues, deep purples, browns poured from honey and amber that ignited beautifully in the perfect light that could take a breath away and keep it, but never once does she imagine the child having yellow eyes, much like the moon during Orangemoon.

OOC: Hobgoblin's first form is a black Serval and then changes to a Leopard Seal when mentioned.

"If you could hear me then, can you hear me now?"
Sikeax;
i'm missing the beauty in your soul

@Valdís

you were angels,
so much more than everything

:: please tag me
:: minor force and power play allowed

Dragon's Throat Filly
dark
I don't find any comfort in the vulnerability, in the stickiness of my drying blood or the blackness that has become the world— but I find no discomfort in it either. It is all just there, pieces coming together to form the disastrous puzzle that I am. I do not feel at ease on my own, do not find any sort of safety wrapped up in my own void, quite the opposite really. Instead I am a quiet disaster, waiting for the moment to come where I'm struck down and there's nothing more for me to worry about— I'll already be dead. But no, I am within the borders of home, in a place where harm will not reach me. It is no guarantee, for I should be safe in the arms of Momma, not afraid. But I am so terrified. Children so young should not know fear so personally, should not know the taste of Death when they have barely just begun to understand how to walk and run.

It was only the beginning.

The lingering kiss of Death has left me tired, even after hours of lying beside Momma and dreaming of solely the soft spring day I was born into, I still feel it's fatigue. It pulls me down, makes me feel too solid and real to believe that I'm just some lingering thought, a dream that was cared for too deeply— I could touch the sands beneath me, could smell the summer air running through the tangled wisps of my hair, could feel the heat of the sun pouring over my freckled back. I am so painfully real, and I wish I wasn't.

Children shouldn't feel this way, should they?

But I do, I feel so strongly that I should fade away, should soon enough disappear into a nothingness and be just a tattered memory in the encompasses of Momma's mind. These hopes, these prayers, will go unanswered. I will eventually return to her side, will hear her fret over me and again tremble as she tries to dress my wounds— she will fail, will turn away sobbing and I will try to whisper something comforting to her. It will do nothing for her. She will feed me and care for me otherwise, will love me as much as someone can when their mind is so many worlds away. I will lie still against her, will not let her feel the pounding of my heart as she breathes me in and pulls me closer, as though she'll wake up without me one morning and realize that I was never really there (I wish). But each morning we rise together, and the process repeats— she audibly gags each time she pulls at the dressings and instead proceeds to feeding me despite my lack of appetite. Growing children are gluttonous and needy, seeking attention from their parents and desperate to get it— I am far too distant, far too focused on something that isn't this. I like to think that sometimes Momma may worry when my lips remain sealed and I refuse her offerings, but I wouldn't know. I'm taking after her more than I realize.

I concentrate on maintaining passive features, knowing that moving the wounded flesh is excruciating, closing myself away at an age where I shouldn't be able to (should I even know how?). It takes work, moments where my face will twist and muffled cries will escape me, but never near Momma— I do not know what she will do to me every time she approaches, the faint sounds of her hooves against loose sand making me tense each time I catch it. She still hasn't noticed my reaction to her actions, how hesitant I am to eat from her and lay beside her, that I am slipping away faster than a child should.

Splashing becomes prominent, not just the tumbling of waves but there's something more. The most immediate thought is Momma, and I stiffen up and hold my breath. I fear that she will be angry— I've never traveled to the water before today, perhaps this will be the day I begin to consider Death an acquaintance. I am wrong. The voice is soft, and not Momma at all— it's someone entirely new, but someone I should know the name of (Momma whispers her name often, fretting). I stumble warily, trying to pinpoint her location but coming up a little off, reaching into the dark in hopes to find her this way.

My voice is hushed, almost lost to the sea behind us. "M-m-my mo-mm a... It trails away and I do not know what else to do. This is my first time interacting with anyone outside of Momma, hesitant and hyper aware of the situation. Does she know? I feel that if I let her look closer at the wounds she'll know immediately what's been done to me, that this is my punishment for being. I swallow thickly, moving back to prevent her from looking any closer at the nasty gashes over my face and deciphering who was responsible. Don't tell her. I want to say, want to beg for her to stay quiet, but I don't think she knows yet— safe.

@Sikeax

Sikeax the Sea Soul Posts: 355
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16 hh :: 5 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Hobgoblin :: Common Rougarou :: Water & Seoul :: Plain White Dragon :: Toxic Breath Zuno
She hurts, filling herself with pain in that way that rips the very soul from the casket of the body. It consumes and destroys her. It draws a knot in her throat and clots her veins and keeps her muscles tense and joints locked, heart clenching shut with each painful, destroying beat that thrusts its mass inside of her chest cavity. She can almost feel the world fading out of her when the child steps away from her. No one has ever truly fled from her in specifics, except maybe for the exception of Hobgoblin’s presence beside her.
He too is lashed upon by her feelings, withering and breaking down as the intensity of her emotions becomes a tsunami against him. He is frail and weak beneath all that she spills into world, with tears brimming at the edges of her sea eyes and sadness dampening her lovely, feminine features that should at this point in life be filled with happiness and warm smiles and lighter than air laughter, maybe even the soft glow of love to light it up in the right way.
There is none of that and there never will be from how things are going these days, damning her to a life wasted by cruelty and devotion to a job that she always thought herself ready for when in reality, it was meant for the more bitter souls.
The child searches, presumably for the both of them. He doesn’t reach for the touch, instead moving backwards to flee from it. Something about the eyes, something about them that makes him want to recoil and fade into the belly of the sea and experience a time that Sikeax wants so desperately, where no one can find him and he can be himself. Maybe he’s finally becoming like her, finding what makes her think in these ways without intending to.
Life is cruel, he learns in the harshest ways possible without succumbing to it personally.
Chokes and sobs are hushed away with gentle hands that a mother uses to soothe her babes, soft whispers telling her that it’s going to be okay, but Sikeax can’t seem to find a way to tell herself that this situation is going to be okay. Infection has yet to fumigate the child with smells that would surely attract things that none of them would want to imagine, and the blood in the moss and leaves is making her stomach toil like a ship in a vicious sea-bound storm.
Mothers are desperate creatures, she reminds herself, being one. They will do anything for the sake of their children.
The difference between her and this girl’s mother is that she holds life like a torch, guiding light back after the darkness of death has swung its way into a life. She can turn the tides with simple actions and now nearly effortlessly done. The child is fleeing, and she can feel herself sink more.
Please drown me in the sea. I can’t do this. Pleads call for Hobgoblin to let a long, low tone push from his vocal cords, somewhere she can’t see him. He’s gone, leaving her to fight a battle she isn’t sure how to do. She thinks of herself as a savior and a guardian, a keeper of the healthy and the saint of the sickly and dying, keeping them from what might actually have been their real time.
She’s never thought that some may not want her to assist them no matter what she wants. No one has cared to alert her that some are so set upon dying when they feel that there is nothing to push on for. Healers don’t think this way because they are caught up in the idea that everyone has meaning in life and that they can have some sort of god-like control over these things, that they have power over dying.
It kills her, but she has always been persistent, telling herself that no one will die beneath her watch until everything that she can push herself to do can be done.
“I can finish what she started completely, but you have to let me take everything off of your eyes,” Some unseen force taunts her in her head if that image is going to be too much for her, if Sikeax the Sun Physician of the Dragon’s Throat has finally found the patient that she cannot bring herself to cure. But she will not be weak. “so that I can get to the wound. It’ll be gone for good, and you won’t get an infection.” That’ll reach your brain through the nerves and kill you with an agonizing death that no deserves.
“You just have to trust me.” What a funny thing she asks for when she barely has enough trust in herself to have enough courage to push herself through what waits before her.
This is finally it, the one thing that she can’t overcome, in the flesh and in the form of a child.

"If you could hear me then, can you hear me now?"
Sikeax;
i'm missing the beauty in your soul

@Valdís

you were angels,
so much more than everything

:: please tag me
:: minor force and power play allowed

Dragon's Throat Filly
dark
The unsettling silence creates discomfort, the way my blood thunders through my veins and casts away the knowing quiet— (she cannot face me) I do not feel offended, do not think she is wrong for not wanting to gaze upon whatever I've become (the irritation, the faint smell). I wouldn't want to look at me either. But I will not tell her that, will instead keep my head tucked close and ears drawn back, subtly defensive as I feel so vulnerable before a gaze I cannot see but can feel. I feel her eyes on me, taking me in with pity (she's sorry for me). I will not say anything, will not let my cracked lips part and my hushed voice protest against her burrowing eyes— I will stay quiet.

Let her look me over, let her see how ugly this world truly is (for who does this to a child?)— Momma does this to children, it is Momma who takes them and breaks them and cannot look back upon their weakened souls or dare to fix them. She can only lay beside them and coo unceremoniously and hope that is enough (it isn't)— her carefully decided whispers do nothing to deter me, to keep me from tensing and trembling at the idea of her blood stained mouth kissing me so lovingly. I do not want it, do not want it. But she will keep doing it because it makes her feel better, because it is her she is trying to comfort, not me— not the beaten Child lying in defeat in the red sands. I don't think Momma knows how to comfort me, doesn't know what to do with the Child she mangled, doesn't know how to fix me. Perhaps she thinks the farther away she gets from me, the better I'll get, and so she leaves me to my own crippling darkness to fend off her own.

Finish what she started— suddenly there's no air in the world, no ocean at my hooves or sun on my back, just a cold emptiness and the irregular pounding of my heart (be still, let me go). Finish what Momma started? The feeling of my flesh tearing, warm blood signifying the separation of tissue and the peeling away of my freshly cleaned hide (I can feel it all flaking off, the thick smear of red across my face, pouring into my lone eye). I feel the panic, the stuttering breathes and stillness of my body (everything stopped) as the first eye was pulled free, muscle removed carelessly (she was in no rush, there was no reason to be careful. I am her Burden, not her Light). I inhale sharply, lungs ablaze with terror at the idea of there being a need to finish what Momma started— will she do what Momma couldn't? What she woke too soon to do, the final step to taking away her suffering— take me away from here, finally offer this broken body peace and this weary young mind rest. Weeks into my life and I am weighted down by my fatigue, by the pain of my own existence (there's too much, it all hurts too much).

No— no that's not what she means (Damned, Cursed to live another day). She means the wounds, the pain, she can take it away but keep me breathing, keep my heart pumping (that's not what I want). I want to ask her to leave it be, to let me suffer intolerable pain and know just truly how much my existence will hurt— Momma wants me gone, so why stay any longer than I must? I've already overstayed my welcome, the moment I began to grow within Momma's cursed womb, I was overstaying. Now is my time to go, when Momma will be thankful (thank you for taking Her away, she was a burden I could not face). I will be thankful too.

Trust is a hard thing to give, a difficult thing to earn, something precious and rare that I have only just begun to understand— I am hesitant to trust, to offer myself so easily to someone I do not know at all (who is she? Why does she care for me in ways Momma does not?), but what more can she do to me? I am the epitome of pity, any more damage and Death and I will finally share a word. That is the best outcome, the one I want (she is here to prevent it, to take it away from me).

"Okay," I say quietly, the word drawn out along my parched tongue and hesitance lacing the simple reply. There is nothing left for me to lose. So I wait patiently, the unfortunate nothingness all that I have to keep my mind from questioning what it is she'll do to me (will it hurt? Will the pain of Feeling finally go away?). Can she fix a heart that was never warm in the first place? And it comes finally, the feeling of her warm breathes ghosting over my face, over the thickly packed crust of blood— does she know where to begin? Weeks of grime have clung to the matted disaster, shielding the world from the destruction of my face (who would want to see it anyway?), my chest burns as my entire being holds still, waiting.

The pain is terrible, excruciating as I feel (for a second time) the skin of my face peeling away from the bone, tissue tearing and mouth gaping (this isn't Momma). At first I can hold my tongue, can bite my lip until it busts and bleeds, can bite my cheek until a chunk parts from the wall of my mouth and I have to stop. She is slow, but not experienced (it's not often someone's eyes are torn from their sockets) in handling this injury as the familiar burning fluid slips down my cheeks (it really hurts). I can feel my tissue cling to the bandages, clinging as they're peeled away from my freckled skin and cast aside. "Hurts... hurts too bad." I want to shake my head, to toss it away from her and flee before she can make it hurt more (Momma's looming over me, her teeth are bared, she's getting closer—) than she already has.

I don't, whether out of fear of taking away more tissue and creating even more disaster— or because there's the beginnings of trust planted somewhere between us, promising to flourish into something greater than anything I will ever have with anyone else.

It all comes flooding back, the vibrant red of my own blood pooling in my empty socket, in my widened eye that awaits its fate— the snapping ivory teeth that grasped the delicate organs and yanked, sawing away at the cord that kept my world alive. "Fuck, fuck stop! Shit fuck shit. No more!" Suddenly it's too much, and all I see is Momma's empty, terrified face as she swooped down to take what was never hers, but never mine— she stains the grass with her own flesh and blood Child, the Burden she hates and wants dead. "Stop! Let die! Dead! I want to be dead! Not this!"

@Sikeax zuno granted me permission to say sia starts removing the stuff on her eyes c: