the Rift

[PRIVATE] without a winter thaw

Nymeria Posts: 182
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2hh :: 3 years HP: 69.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Lilómiel :: Plain Black Dragon :: Fire Breath Wanderer
Sick of all these people talking, sick of all this noise
Tired of all these cameras flashing, sick of being poised

She had forgotten about Knox, about her... rank.

He (and her responsibilities) had become sadly inconsequential in face of her degraded body and debased mind. While she wandered, expertly portraying herself as a patrolling herd member, her thoughts drifted into shadow and slithered into sinful self-indulgence. At some point she would need to return to reality, continue to do as she was always planned to do: but for now... she wallowed in waters of self-pity and sunk to her knees in self-doubt.

She had questioned and doubted herself before, but the questions had always been philosophical in nature. (If she was doing the right thing; if she was doing her thing the wrong way.) Never had she felt humiliated or objectified or self-doubting. Never had her questions revolved around wondering if she was incapable of doing what she was meant to do. While she had doubted her morality—she hadn't doubted her capabilities.

... Nymeria knew she did not have the time to let herself rot away much longer.

Winter did not slacken its grip. A week or two had permitted stronger sunshine, blooming flowers, wet grass—and then winter returned in full strength. Her winter coat grew thick again. Fuzz lined her jaw. She was not cold, but she was not warm. Under the dim and dull light of the sun she drifted towards the waterfalls, Lilómiel flapping overhead. At some point or another she had faintly remembered a meeting; even if spring was not here, she figured she should start making an effort soon.

I have nothing to tell him.

... But she had no other choice.

image credits

@Knox

Yes I lied, don't think about you all the time
All my switchblade words ain't aim to cut your sweet delusions

Knox Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 7.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17hh :: 7 Years [Tallsun] HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Jen

"Patrolling, are we?" Knox asks as he appears as if some nowhere, sliding out from between two closely positioned trees like some sort of snake. He wears Zekiah's more agile frame, allowing himself to weave first behind the mare and then beside her, so that his good eye is positioned to stare right down into hers. She is not providing him with permission, he is joining this patrol. He is even taller in this form than he is in his own, and the few extra inches give him even a little more confidence and pride.

Whether or not it is pride in his ability to foster a good thief... time will tell.

"Keep your head up, you won't find anything useful to tell Knox with your eyes on the ground," he says with a cracked smile, despite the fact that she does not even appear to be looking down. Is that really a short joke?

You're a child, Knox says to his elder, but not without a smile of his own broadening the one on his features. It isn't as if he couldn't use with some pointless cheer at the expense of another, too.

"Frostfall's going long, you're lucky. Even if you've come empty headed I can't turn you away," Zekiah's face tells her, his tone carrying a threat. But I would, is the unspoken conclusion to the sentence.

"Still, while we're patrolling, do you have any knowledge you can impress me with?" Zekiah's short cropped tail lashes behind him, his sturdy legs pick up and fall to carry him forward.

It's up to Nymeria, now.

""

K N O X

@Nymeria