the Rift

[OPEN] the path is dark [any]

Sohalia the Transcended Posts: 477
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Astraeus :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya ChaoticMelodies
Sohalia

The mare's hooves touched sand, and the Transcended thought she might cry.

On the one hoof, she was quite sure that it was the hormones talking. After all, it was quite close to the time during pregnancy where she would be an emotional mess. She knew that, and yet she had decided that this was the time to come to the Throat anyway. Truth be told, she would have come sooner - she would have followed Gaucho after their reunion, determined to prove that she would be there, for him and for his herd (were they her herd still, after all that had happened?), without making empty promises once again - but there had been Aleta to care for. No matter how much she might have wished that Aleta was Gaucho's daughter (did she, really?) or that she could simply migrate to live in the Throat, unexplained child in tow... it was too messy. There was too much that she would have to explain, to tell her lover mate what even was he anymore?!

On the other hoof, she was bound to be emotional when she finally returned to the Dragon's Throat - especially since she had never thought that she would be able to come back. That she had run into Gaucho on accident and that their reunion had been (mostly) happy was a blessing, for it meant that she could finally return to the one place that she had always felt that she had belonged. Of course, she would return frequently to the Hidden Falls to visit Kaj and their daughter. Though she did not love him in the romantic sense of the word, she cared deeply for the golden stallion who had offered her refuge in her darkest time. Now that they had a child, she could no more remove him from her heart than she could Gaucho.

The sand was warm against her hooves, bringing a gleeful smile to her face. Truth be told, she was probably being a bit bold to simply fly in without any sort of warning or without waiting on an invitation, but she simply couldn't wait any longer. She was ready to rejoin her herd. She was ready to return to her home. She was ready to feel the desert sun on her back and the desert wind in her mane. She was ready.

She was so ready.

"Talk talk talk."
VenomXBaby
Please tag Sohalia in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to place an order?  Visit Crystalline Creations here!
Want to plot with Sohalia?  Visit her plot page here!

Megaera the Sunspear Posts: 306
Absent Abyss atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 h :: 8 [Birdsong] HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwaihir :: Golden Eagle :: None Laine
@Sohalia

m e g a e r a
her fight and fury is fiery
oh but she loves
like sleep to the freezing

There weren’t many white wings among the Dragon’s Throat nowadays, so when the Sunspear looked up to see a pair descending she assumed it was a matter that required her attention. She hoped that it would be a simple matter, an emissary from another herd or something along those lines. She was tired and uncomfortable, her growing barrel just beginning to be an actual hindrance than appearing as though she had just gained a few pounds. If it was a an aggressive intruder? Well she’d get through the fi— “No you won’t!” Gwaihir interrupted the thought, knowing that his bonded’s mind was just staring to imagine how nice a fight might be (at least then she’d have a reason to be sore and tired “You do have a reason! And its exactly why you should go looking for another.” he reminded her and she sighed with a level of petulance hitherto unseen(since the last time she had been pregnant anyway). He was right though, and the militant Sultana was thankful to have him to keep her in check. The transition to mommy-mode was difficult when fighting to protect her herd meant risking doing harm to the child inside her. 

"Go on then, fetch me a babysitter why don't you." She said though their bond, and the eagle, pleased with his headway, soared off to find his bonded's mate. The two had become allies in aggravating her but Meg could hardly argue with their reasons for trying to keep her out of harms way. She didn't wait for Gwaihir, but set herself north in a steady and only slightly hobbley pace. Coming over a final cresting dune, the bay was surprised to see that the figure was in fact one that was known to her. Meg didn't know the Transcended very well at all but seeing her brought it's own set of emotions that attached themselves to the dove's unexpected return. 

Curiosity ruled them, fueling the rest. Why was she here again? Where had she been? And on curiosity's heels came worry and a tiny twinge of resentment. What kind of person could flit in at out of their home with such frequency? Leaving it without warning and coming back just as unexpectedly. Meg's notion of loyalty, of her own dedication to the Dragon's Throat, did not lead her to trust that this time would be any different. She had never had the balls to ask Gaucho about his women, the White and the Blue, and what stories and emotions lay in that torrid triangle. She had seen the seen him with one and then the other welcoming a bevy of children, ebbing and flowing like the tide moves from shore to sea. Megaera couldn't understand it and could not fight off a suspicion that this might be the cause of her Chancelor's disappearance (a loss she did not appreciate). It was unkind to lay blame on Sohalia's shoulders, no matter how much it might have simplified matters and Meg knew that and so approached with a careful civility. "Sohalia. I did not think to see you back again." Should I be disappointed that I do?

FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::

Sohalia

If she was being honest with herself, she had expected to be greeted by Gaucho. In her past, she had grown used to him being everywhere - he was patrolling, he was fighting, he was leading, all seemingly at once. It was a talent that she had never developed, even in her short time as Sultana. A small, nostalgic smile graced her lips -- Gods, that had been so long ago! But the smile faded quickly, for it had been too long ago, it seemed. By Ivezho's count, she had been gone for months or even years. Long enough for everyone to move on, to forget, perhaps even to prefer her absence.

Shaking her head to dispel those errant thoughts, the Transcended hesitated near the border of the Throat. Suddenly, she was not so sure that she wanted to simply waltz right in, afraid that whoever found her would take her to be an intruder. Even without the life growing inside her, the former Sultana was no fighter, and she was quite sure that she would be ejected from the herdland as quickly as she had entered it if she came upon an unfriendly warrior. She swallowed, hard.

Still, her expectation that it would be Gaucho that arrived to greet her was only truly dispelled when she caught sight of a vaguely familiar face approaching across the sands. Though Sohalia had not taken the opportunity to get to know Megaera, she remembered the name with a mixture of respect and fondness. From what she remembered, the Sunspear had been a devoted warrior, something that deserved recognition even from those who were not inclined to pursue that role. She put on a smile, prepared to offer a polite, kind greeting; Megaera's words came first, however, civil but lacking in the warmth that the Transcended had expected.

Her smile faltered, then returned. Shame on you, she chided herself internally. And why should she be pleased to see you? Having disappeared more than once, no doubt while Megaera had stayed loyally in the desert sands, it was unsurprising to find that she was not given the welcome she would have had previously, as the Sultan's mate and former queen. "Megaera," she said kindly in greeting, refusing to allow her previous cheer at returning home to fade. "I had not thought to be away for so long, if I'm being honest." A slight frown crossed her face, for she still had no reason for her disappearance. She could guess that perhaps she had been pushed and pulled through time by the Rift, but that was mere supposition. Besides, that wasn't a theory she wished to offer to justify her actions.

"How are things in the Throat?" she asked, forcing her thoughts to the present.

"Talk talk talk."

@Megaera
VenomXBaby
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

m e g a e r a
oh but she loves

It was unlike Meg to feel let herself feel threatened by other women and now was not exception. Stallions were often  her a flash of a competitive streak but only because the ones that seemed attracted to the desert were always these great hulking beasts of men; Ampere might have been an exception, for meg knew her skill on the battlefield was rival to Meg's but Sohalia never caused that shadow of unease to enter Meg's mind. Even if the dove had been Sultana for a time, the Sunspear had never seen her exhibit any overt marks of leadership and even as Gaucho's (former?) mate, Meg had no fear that the tender creature could supplant her or would even seek to. 

Meg watched carefully, trying to gauge the Transcended’s mood, as if she could decipher her motives from that. It would be easier to boot her out, to avoid any possible confrontation with Sultan or missing Chancellor, by telling the white-wing to head back across the waters and pretend she had never seen her. Another occasion to add to Meg’s running list of times it might have helped to be dishonest, but that simply wasn’t her. Somalia seemed to have a hit of a smile, and perhaps more than anyone Megaera could sympathize with an appreciation for being greeted by sun and sand. Not to mention, now that she paused to look, there was a slight swell to Sohalia’s sides that told a different story than a mare coming off a long, lean winter. If that little suspicion proved fruitful, could she deny shelter for a mother and child? The Sunspear gave the slightest of sighs, generosity weighing heavily in her mental scales. The transcended would have to answer some questions though, and if by asking after the Throat she hoped to evade them, Meg refused to let it slide.

It was the white dove’s gentleness that did her the favor of helping to sooth Meg’s metaphorically ruffled feathers. In the bay’s hormonal state she was prone to shifts in mood as well as being slightly more susceptible to the influence of those around her and the mare’s kind greeting, the gentle tones of her voice, helped to gentle the battlemare’s approach.  She still had questions, still had concerns but perhaps she would be able to voice them from a place of curiosity instead of suspicion. “The Throat is well enough, still here after wars and winter. The sands remain, as do those loyal to them.” Well, a softer Meg still lacked the smooth diplomacy and the best she could manage yet was a cautious tone instead of a harsh one. “But you, if you’re being honest, what is it you seek coming here?"

@Sohalia
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd

ashes to ashes

Gaucho had already been descending towards the pair. He had expected to see delight alight on both of their faces, but as he neared, he wondered if he saw something else? But no ... Meg had been one of his most loyal companions for years now. Was it not Meg who had swept across half of Helovia to find news of Sohalia during her last disappearance? Hadn't the brown mare offered to shepherd the white back to the bloody sands then?  And Sohalia, returning back to her home after many seasons away, should have felt triumphant and welcomed.

Surely that was what he was seeing on their faces?

But then -

...what is it you seek coming here?

Meg's words drifted up to his ears even as his large black hooves touched down upon the sands behind the Sunspear. A sternness fell across Gaucho's rugged features and his ears slipped backwards as his Sultana fell silent.

"Pegasi always welcome here." Gaucho grumbled through nearly clenched teeth. Fire loomed in high spurts on his wings, racing back and forth with his confused disapproval at the snippet of conversation that he had heard. "Soh always welcome here." He continued, striding between the two, easily towering over both. His blue gray gaze had not yet found its way to Sohalia. Instead it rested firmly on Meg. Despite the sternness of his features, something else lingered behind his rugged expression. Something like confusion, and of wounded disappointment. I love her, and you treat her like this? You, of all people? But likely his words alone would have been answer enough for the questions in Meg's mind. Gaucho obviously was alright with Sohalia 'flitting in and out', despite his shared feelings on the notion of loyalty.

Gaucho blinked in her direction and then exhaled, turning his antlered skull towards Sohalia.  
"Good you came." He said, his voice warm and soft. They hadn't exactly ... discussed what was to happen next, and for once, Gaucho hadn't pushed her on it. They were on new terms, the two of them, and he knew this. If Sohalia did not want to return to the Throat, such was her prerogative. Though he had hoped she would, and in his ignorance about her past, he had no reason to think that she wouldn't want to as well.

oops. don't mind us >.>

Gaucho
image credits
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Sohalia

The Transcended had never been particularly spirited, preferring instead to rely on a calming demeanor and diplomacy to work through whatever situation she found herself in. There were times, of course, that she had wished that she could be more - what's the word - fiesty, more like Megaera: when she had been captured by enemies of her homeland, when she had been incapable of defending her children, when she had been incapable of offering even the slightest assistance to her herd in times of need. Now, however, was not one of those times. She smiled slightly, almost sheepishly, at the mare before her, pondering the nature of the Sunspear's questions and striving, as always, to understand.

She found that she did understand. In fact, she understood all too well where the mare's suspicions came from. If she placed herself in Megaera's hooves, she saw a pretty ivory mare who was only around long enough to woo the Sultan, bear his children, and then disappear for months at a time. She saw a mare who should have no claim to the sands on which they stood, yet was welcomed back time and again. The ivory mare knew that she had no right to be here, despite how much she wanted to be; she knew that all the love in the world for the Dragon's Throat was not enough to win over its inhabitants. She could not hold Megaera's words against her, not when she had done nothing to win the Sultana's favor.

(After all, she only held Gaucho's because, after everything, he still somehow managed to love her.)

Astraeus crooned a soft warning, saving his bonded from an immediate response. A rush of bay fire fell onto the sands, warming Sohalia's heart and bringing a brilliant smile to her face. It would seem that, despite everything, she still loved him, too. And it showed in the softening of her eyes, the beaming smile that she offered, the way that she leaned ever-so-slightly towards the stallion, as though longing to claim her place beneath his wing and simply hide from the rest of the world. Despite this, she did not move. She would not return to the Dragon's Throat to be sheltered by her lover (mate?). No, if she was to return, it would be of her on accord, and by her own devices. She would not allow herself to be overshadowed.

She would prove herself. She had to.

The WildFire practically growled at the Sunspear, bringing a frown to Sohalia's pretty features. That he leapt to her defense spoke volumes, but she had no desire for enmity to be sown between his ruling partner and the mother of his children (some of them, anyway). "Gaucho --" she called softly, a gentle command disguised as a request for his attention. He welcomed her warmly, and again she smiled that lovely, adoring grin. "I'm glad to be here, shekh ma shieraki anni," she told him, then added: "Don't be angry with Megaera. It has been... a long time since I have been a part of the Dragon's Throat. She has every right to wonder why I have come back. Wouldn't you want to know, if it were anyone other than me?"

Satisfied, the Transcended returned her attention to the Sunspear. "I have made mistakes," she admitted, "and I am not proud of the fact that I have been gone more often than I have been here. My place is - was - here, with my mate," her gaze flitted to Gaucho. What would his reaction be to her calling him her mate? Would he even allow it? "With my children, with my herd. I should have been here, and you are right to cast suspicion upon me for my absence." She bowed her head, gracefully hiding the shame in her eyes.

"I wish I had explanations, I wish I had a good reason -- I do not know what happened to me that caused me to disappear this time, nor would I want to rely on excuses if I did. What I do know is that I did not come back sooner because I thought... I thought that it would be easier. I thought that Gaucho would be able to move on, be happy, without... without me. I thought that the herd would be better off without me. I wasn't what the Dragon's Throat needed, and I could not have contributed to its glory. I am here now because..." Why was she here? To claim her place within the sands? To again try to offer herself to a herd that likely didn't even want her?

"I am here now because the Dragon's Throat has been my home for years. I am here because I want to be with my family. I am here because I want to give anything I have left to offer to those sheltered within." She paused, took a breath, lifted her head to look Megaera in the eye. "I will respect the wishes of those who live here. If you do not want me here, then I will not force myself on you. I would understand, I truly would. But I do ask that you consider allowing me one last chance to prove that I can contribute. I would take a place amongst the herd's crafters, as I did many years ago, if you both will have me."

The mare swallowed hard and fell silent, her bi-colored eyes flicking between the Sultan and the Sultana, nerves suddenly clenching in her stomach. She had spoken out when Gaucho would have spoken for her - would he admire that, or would he disapprove? She had offered Megaera the chance to cast her - and her unborn child - into the harsh world beyond the borders of the Dragon's Throat. The Transcended doubted that the Sunspear would have spoken against Gaucho; by allowing Megaera the opportunity, she may have doomed the foal to a life without a herd. She had gambled, there was no doubt about that - but if she was allowed entry into the Throat, if she was given the chance to rebuild whatever it was that she and Gaucho had begun (again), then it would all be worth it.

"Talk talk talk."
VenomXBaby

@Megaera

m e g a e r a
oh but she loves

Gaucho came, in his perpetually conflagrant fashion but it surprised Megaera to hear a harshness in his voice. Her head turned, black hair whipping out at the ends, to fill her gaze with her co-ruler only to find him to be a picture of steely disapproval. Her ears pulled back to mirror his as he coursed his bulk between her and Sohalia, spurting angry licks of fire from his wings. It was a struggle to think of a time when Gaucho had every disapproved of her actions, none came to mind, but she saw enough of it now to know the sting of it. The edge of borderline hostility from him baffled her, even on some level terrified her, and (perhaps spurred by her maternal hormones) had her immidiatly on the defensive. On a step backwards the Sultana's wings flared even as they dropped to hide her belly from view, her teeth lashed,not to bit him but they still made a satisfying snap. "I never said she was unwelcome, I was just trying to understand." She started on her defense, but the look he gave silenced her, almost hurt and surely that cut at her almost as much as he. It cut at her too, more than it should have, when he turned from her. 

She felt almost petulant, scolded for doing nothing she considered wrong. She had been speaking to Sohalia! She wasn't a silver-tonged welcoming committee but she'd be damned if she didn't have a right to know what people wanted when they strode so causally into the lands that Gaucho had given her to protect. What did he expect? That she would be beside herself with glee at the white mare's approach? Meg might have known who Sohalia was but that did not mean for one second that she knew Sohalia. If Meg had firmly decided that she was unwelcome, she would not have wasted time on stopping for a chat, to be sure.

Meg's eyes smoldered like angry coals in the stallion's direction as he turned to greet his wayward dove, and it was more her than him that steadied the Sultana. Perhaps Meg's eyes didn't soften like that, perhaps she never smiled as brightly, or spoke as sweetly as Sohalia did, that just wasn't who Megaera was, but she saw, and she understood the feelings behind it; it was how she felt about Einarr, or near enough as made no difference. 

Meg wouldn't have needed the speech the Sohalia made but she stood, she listened, and she appreciated it all the same. When the white mare addressed her, she was already losing the fire she had in looking at the stallion, but her stance and body language was guarded, unsure if she'd already made a step that would tarnish her relationship with either. Meg could find no fault with the words Sohalia spoke, the she still wondered what it was that had taken her away. Of course she would be welcome here, Meg did not have it in her to deny to another what her heart would have longed for in the same position. If she had been separated from Einarr? From their children? Meg would have wanted nothing more to be reunited with them, to return home-though it occurred to her that she would never have suffered to seek permission, anyone who proposed to keep her from her family wound have been a dead-man-walking.

At the end of the speech, Meg stared at the mismatched eyes before giving a slow nod of consent. "You are welcome here, and the Sun bless your coming, I would not keep you from your home or mine. I do hope I may come to know you better, Sohalia." The gentle words had moved her, but Meg had many faults and pride was yet one of them. She still prickled at Gaucho's siding so decidedly against her, at his anger, at his mistrust in her. It was strange, too, to feel so wholly outside a group for between the three of them there was a divide that Meg hadn't suffered in a long time: the pair of Gaucho and Sohalia trumped the pair of Gaucho and Meg. It was petty, it was selfish, and even though Meg had never looked at Gaucho with anything resembling what Sohalia had, she somehow still felt rather set aside.

"."

@Gaucho @Sohalia Sorry for the waaaiiiiit -flounces- :P
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure