the Rift

[OPEN] the wind in my hair

Lyanna the Windswept Posts: 313
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 11 | dam: 4.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 5 years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

She is surprised when he agrees to go to the Edge with her. Pleasantly surprised, really. There’s a strange feeling of accomplishment that floods her, a warmth that makes her feel (for the first time in far too long) that she might be able to do some good in Helovia. She may not be much here, but perhaps she could help give others a home. Give them a life and a reason to stay here and help set them on their path. And even if that was all she ever did here, it would be enough.

Her smile spreads just a bit, if that’s even possible. Despite the sorrow that lingers somewhere in the pit of her stomach, she is almost always genuinely happy on the outside. Years of training mixed with an understanding that being happy is easier has made smiling natural for her. Has made it natural for her to simply be happy. What good does it do to dwell on sorrow? Yes, it creeps in, but she’s quick to banish it beneath a trip to the Threshold, or a flight to the Deep Woods, or something else that she finds enjoyable.

Now, the sorrow does not threaten to surface. Instead, she nods her head in the general direction of the Edge. “Let me show you the way,” she says, warmth in those words. No one had shown her the way, and it’s still a miracle she ever found the place on her own. She’d had to eavesdrop on a few conversation just to get a clue of where she needed to go. But Ichab wouldn’t have to find his own way.

She leads him through Helovia on foot, slightly less sure of the way on land than in the air, but comfortable enough with the journey that she hopes her hints of uncertainty don’t show. Instead she keeps up polite conversation if he wants, answering questions if he has any as they go. It’s not the shortest journey, but still, it doesn’t feel all that long as they travel together, the forest and the ruined glass wall finally coming into view.

“Welcome to the World's Edge. The glass wall – well, what’s left of it – marks the border of the kingdom.” She says, leading him through what used to be the only opening into the kingdom. Now there are plenty of holes large enough to wander in and out of, but it seems appropriate to take him through the true entrance. The forest, her favorite part of the kingdom, is the first thing that greets them. She moves through slowly but easily, wings tucked to her side to keep them away from the trees, weaving her way through until the land opens up. The wind is strong and cold at the cliff, and she turns toward Ichab. “Don’t rush forward here,” she says with a bit of a playful grin. She moves slowly, leading him to the edge of the cliff, or the end of the world.

“What do you think?” she asks, her excitement creeping into her voice just a bit. It was oddly pleasant having brought in a new recruit, feeling like she might finally belong. At least, just a little bit. 

watch how i soar.

lyanna

@Ichab and anyone who can welcome him to the Edge

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Kiki

Ichab Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
As Lyanna, the winged mare with a coat darker than his leads him towards and into what will be his new home, Ichab can't help but muse on how far he has come in such a short time. From the secluded valley of his youth, a place he had quite literally never stepped out of in his ten years until mere seasons ago, to a wonders of this place called Helovia. He was making new friends, or at least a new friend, in Lyanna, this exotic mare with turquoise feathers on her back and the sweetest smile.

As she takes him through the gateway of the World's Edge, Ichab paused by the wall. The material it is made from catches in the low sunlight of the early evening as it sparkles like nothing he has ever seen before. He hesitates in his path, coming to a halt and stretching out his neck to touch the wall with his muzzle. The material is cool against his skin, hard and smooth, and looks like water that has frozen to ice, but so clear and strong. Glass, Lyanna had called it. He wondered how such a structure had come to be. How was this glass made?

He picked up a brisk trot to catch back up with Lyanna as she entered a wonderful forested area. He glanced back at the wall for a moment, before his mind became once again filled with everything that was before him. He watched the feathers on Lyanna's topline move as she did, blow in the wind as it swept through the trees. He was mesmerized by her, by everything around him. Picking up a bit of speed, he pulled up alongside her.

The wind is picking up now. He can feel it whispering through the tines of his antlers and tickling his withers with his mane. The trees above them rustle their leaves and Ichab imagines that they are welcoming him to his new home.  Before long, the forest opens up and Lyanna comes to a halt. Ichab follows her gaze and feels his breath pulled from his chest.

Before him was an impossible vast stretch of water, crashing below them against the cliff on which they stood. Ichab couldn't see the other side. It was as it there was only water out there. He got the immense feeling that out there in the endlessness of the mass of water was both everything and nothing. The Edge of the World, Ichab thought, his eyes widened dramatically. He glanced at Lyanna when he heard her ask him what he thought. His mouth was gaping at the incredible sight.

He looked from her to the view and back again, lost for words for a moment. Finally, he found it voice. "It's... it's the most beautiful thing I've ever imagined," he said, his volume just above the whisper, his words almost lost to the wind that swept up the cliff face. "Truly, we stand at the end of the earth. Is there anything out there?" he asked her, not sure which answer he hoped for.

He had felt small in this vast world since leaving his herdland, but it was nothing to how he felt now. His meager life, the world he had known and lived in, was so tiny in the grand scheme of things, so insignificant. Realizing that was both terrifying and exhilarating. How could he make himself be someone in the enormous place?

“Talk.”
Ichab
The end is not as fun as the start,
Please stay a child somewhere in your heart.

image | coding

@Lyanna Sorry this took so long!

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
Tembovu & Mbwene
Nostrils flare— the scent of a newcomer filling his nostrils. Given the slew of intruders recently within the Edge, his body stiffens and his eyes sharpen, gaze trying to slice through the misted trees behind him. He stood near the cliffs, letting the warmer than usual Birdsong breeze blow the banks of fog in and out of the sheer limestone drop. He had been almost relaxed— not for want of reasons that troubled him. But because he had spent the morning with his son, watching him explore the glass dragon with his inquisitive mouth, foal whiskers twitching and partly coated with Elsa’s milk.

He sighed, turning to walk towards the scent and sounds of once familiar and one foreign scent— wanting to keep his thoughts away from the Icebound, his Queen, a woman he cared deeply for but… He shook his head, navy eyes cutting through the fog as he followed his perked ears.

He recognized the scent and sound of Lyanna, an inky pegasus with strikingly blue accents in her locks and feathers, drawing his gaze to linger at the contrasting interface of hues. The heavy skull dipped slightly in greeting, a lopsided grin turning up a corner of his thick lips, “Hello Lyanna,” his low rumble is warm in greeting. Dark blue eyes sweep to the newcomer, “Who do you have with you?”

His gaze studied the fine antlers of the white-masked man, and was unsurprised by the admiration that struck his barrel. He always envied antlers, with their sweeping crown and proud points; in Dorobo, such a rack would have been highly respected and appreciated. Gaze, leaving the points, swept the blue splashes on the man’s back— briefly finding how fitting a pair this stallion and pegasus were, both decorated in blues— before searching the his face. “I am Tembovu, King of the Edge,” his introduction was interrupted by a short, brassy trumpet from behind him, “And this is Mbwene, my elephant companion,” an amused grin broader on his muzzle as the calf trundled up to the stranger. Trunk outstretched and ears waving, she motioned toward his antlers— she liked them as much as her bonded, and at times they were covered with soft, fuzzy velvet.

“What brings you to the Edge?”

@Lyanna @Ichab sorry for the wait, guys! <3

Please tag Tembovu.

Lyanna the Windswept Posts: 313
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 11 | dam: 4.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 5 years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

If only he knew. She was hardly exotic here. At home, in Morham (no, not home anymore) she had been exotic, the teal a mark of her status in the royal family. But here? Here there were horses painted with the night sky, with skin like a seal’s, with companions of every animal imaginable. There were so many wonders, that in truth, she’d be rather surprised to hear his thoughts. She wasn’t much at all, though she didn’t necessarily mind. Whatever he thought, she was simply glad to be helping him, and more selfishly, glad to feel like she might have a friend in the Edge now.

She is starting to feel at home here in general, in the trees that are not her trees, but are becoming hers. In the wind that she can no longer speak to, can no longer hear what it whispers to them, but she feels she can understand anyway. Perhaps it is welcoming Ichab into the kingdom. Perhaps not. But she suspects the wind here is much the same as it is in Morham (the wind travels the world and back again), and if she’s right, then it is certainly welcoming it’s newest member.

Ichab’s reaction, though perhaps not a surprising reaction (it is beautiful here), still brings a massive smile to her face. She’d been afraid, without even realizing it, that she might let him down. That the Edge of the World might not be as amazing as it sounds. But he seems truly at awe, and she’s glad that she hasn’t led him astray. “Straight to the north, there’s another herd called Aurora Basin. But otherwise, I’ve never found anything else out there. Other lands, I’m sure, if I flew far enough, though I fear I might tire before I ever found them.”

It’s the most she’s spoken around here in quite some time, and it feels good to be conversing with someone again. Though it isn’t long before Tembovu finds them, with Mbwene right along side. She isn’t surprised that it’s the King that finds him. He does seem to be everywhere around here, and Elsa almost nowhere. Which of course is only true in her experience, and not simply true. She has no idea what Elsa might be doing, but she does hope to find the Queen one day, and thank her for the invitation here. She’d not yet had the chance.

“Tembovu,” she says with a nod, and then a nod to Mbwene as well, who she’d recently seen painting some of the broken glass. What a curious creature his elephant was. “This is Ichab. He’s currently looking for a new home, and wanted to see what the edge of the world looked like. I’m hoping he stays,” her smile turns a bit playful as she casts a glance toward Ichab, eyes sparkling slightly. Hoping too that Tembovu and his rather massive size doesn’t turn the much smaller stallion away from this place.  

watch how i soar.

lyanna

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Kiki