the Rift

[OPEN] all i wanted was you

Quilyan Posts: 206
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.2 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zarina :: Pygmy Marmoset :: Quantum Leap ChaoticMelodies
A flickering light illuminated the room into which the prince now wandered, desperately seeking a distraction from his own thoughts. It had not been easy, his return to reality; wherever he roamed, he saw her face. Zarina tried to hide her memories from the stallion, tried to protect him from the times before - but despite her best efforts, he saw the mare everywhere. When he looked to the sky, he saw the gold of her eyes in the sun. When he looked to the trees, he saw the glittering of her mane in the sparkling Orangemoon light. She was everywhere, and she was nowhere, and he was at once smitten and petrified by the ghost of her memory.

He did not remember, not truly; the pictures that his companion painted were vivid, to be sure, but they did not augment his own memory. When Zarina offered a shred of his past, he clung to it, searching, reaching, wanting to find some scrap of it within himself, but no matter how hard he tried, how far he reached, his attempts were in vain. When he closed his eyes, he could see her face - but it was not his memory. It was Zarina's. At times, he thought he heard her voice, but it was not in his mind. It was in Zarina's, oddly and awkwardly transported into his mind.

The life that she portrayed was painful to see now, now that he had ruined it all and left those he had apparently once cared for shattered in his wake. He had a mate, a daughter, a brother; he had a home, and a family that loved him, even after all his mistakes and transgressions. But now... whatever he had done, however he had left them, it had been too much this time. Somehow, he had managed to destroy his life and forget about it in the process. The implications of it all were too much to bear, and he had spent his days since leaving the mare in a deep depression. Nothing that Zarina said could shake his angst, and every time she tried, the images simply piled up once more.

No. He needed to get away from his own thoughts.

Unfortunately, it is rather difficult to run from oneself. He had tried, of course, taking to the skies and shoving himself through the deep blue, trying to see just how fast he could go. He had run through the forest, felt the twigs of autumn scraping at his pelt as he sprinted by, welcoming the stinging pain, however temporary it was. He had even tried to see if he could fly high enough to touch the sun, as though Icarus might have held all the answers; and when he failed, as he had known he would, he had allowed his wings to tuck tightly to his body, free-falling in a dive that he knew he would save himself from, for he still hadn't the courage to face death.

And so here he was, lost and alone, searching for yet another way to forget. He had stumbled through the caves, not knowing what it was, exactly, that he was looking for, until he fell into the cavern with the flickering light and the sketches on the walls. At first, he didn't want to be interested in them: what right did he have, after everything, to express interest in anything at all? What was the point, when he had no one to share his interest with? Why should he bother, when he would probably just forget it all anyway? But, eventually, curiosity won out, as it always did.

He stepped closer to the walls, pacing slowly around the room, his muzzle tracing gently along the lines of the drawings, trying to decipher them. Th'orqui had been home to libraries aplenty, and these were the first written anything he had seen in years. Of course, he had seen them before, when the Heart Caves were first exposed to Helovia; but he didn't remember, and, to be honest, he wouldn't have wanted to. Somehow, finding them here, now, when he needed so desperately something new to cling to - it made him feel clean for the first time in days, as though this new discovery might prove to be his salvation.

"Speak."
--Zarina.--

@Chernobyl

Quilyan
counting on the night for a beautiful day;
subtlepatterns.com | kaydeniro & larfsalot @ deviantart
Please tag Quilyan in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to plot with Quilyan? Visit his plot page here!

Chernobyl Posts: 134
Outcast atk: 6 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: Nine | Tallsun HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Psilo
[Image: 53b89df1e40f7]

CHERNOBYL

Outside of the stone caverns the winds howls like wolves after their quick-footed quarry. Her skin prickles with a shiver even though she's deep within the heart of the hollow halls and cannot feel the outside temperature. She doubts that it is the feeling that sends a shiver down her spine, but rather the baritone voice of the ripping night winds. It's colder now, out there, than when she first descended into these caves. She realizes now that she has not departed the darkness or the pulse of magma through her ears for a few weeks. She survives off of the crystalline waters, healing and full of almost addictive minerals and the delectable mushrooms and foliage aplenty in the atrium room of lush plant life. Her belly is swollen with her health, her fur thick and oil slick, glowing against the lava's orange shine. She does not need the world above to thrive, but instead she needs to be below – living just fine without the upper levels, just like the perfectly content plant life down here.

She relishes in the idea of becoming some sort of underground creature.
Home is where the heart is, right? She grins with the lingering thought.

Footfall snaps her from her self-to-self conversation and suddenly she thanks herself for not doing such a thing aloud (this time). She contemplates casually turning away and moving in the opposite direction. She's in the open hall just outside of the room where the strange is having some intimate moments with the drawings. She loves this room, studies this room, and  abruptly ignores her typical anti-social urge to move away to be alone and walks slowly through the arch of stone and into room of pulsating carvings.

Her solid feet click and tap like pebbles against the humid floor and she moves to stand some feet off from him, admiring a different section of lines and symbols and such. He seems familiar with these hieroglyphs, she muses. The historical tales alone are commonly decipherable, most in Helovia have come across them and learned about them before – but the various 'glyphs woven in and out of the carvings are mysterious to most that she's met (and herself). The compass on the floor she unveiled some months ago with a few other curious Helovians is now covered with vines and roots again, as well as the strange map of Helovia on the eastern wall in the corner. She leaves it veiled instead of reintroducing it and turns to the stranger with a rather prying but otherwise emotionless stare with her black eyes. “What do you know about these?” Her voice is gritty as always, her delivery smooth and her tone non-threatening; as is her slumped, ear propped posture.

- - - - - -

if i had a heart i could love you,
if i had a voice i would sing.

it's a little weird because i'm tired
I'M SO SORRY FOR THE WAIT MY DEAR
<33

@Quilyan

crushed and filled with all I found
underneath and inside, just to come around
more, give me more, give me more

pixel is by RELI<3

• Feel free to magic on her, but no murder.

Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.2 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
The prince recognized the distinct clip-clop of approaching hooves at the same time as Zarina, and as one, they turned to observe the entrance of the stranger.  She was a slender black unicorn mare, with nothing particularly noteworthy about her appearance other than a small white marking beneath her left eye and a clump of feathers tangled in her mane.  The stallion had never seen her before, a fact that Zarina clarified to be true; with relief, he offered a friendly smile and shoved his worries to the back of his mind.  Perhaps this would be the much-needed distraction that he had been searching for when he had descended into the caves.

"What do you know about these?"

His attention returned to the hieroglyphs, tracing their lines with his violet gaze.  Many of them looked as though they might represent something or other, but he couldn't be sure.  In Th'orqui's upper classes, they had used much more advanced symbols to communicate.  Even their ancient pictures had been less... indeterminate than the ones depicted in this cavern.  He cocked his head to the side thoughtfully.

"Not much," he admitted.  "Where I come from, we have - had - more refined methods of communication, but there's something rather fascinating about these, isn't there?  I think..." He caught sight of an image of a sun, brilliant and large.  "If I were to base this assumption on the early writings of my homeland, then I would guess that larger images were meant to show dominance, of a sort.  That sun, for example - it is much larger than anything around it.  I would take that to indicate that it is a depiction of the Sun God, meant to show that he is of higher importance.  But that is, after all, only a guess."

He turned to peer at the mare with interest.  "I don't believe we've met.  My name is Quilyan."

"Speak."
--Zarina.--

@Chernobyl - whoops, so sorry this took so long!  <3

Quilyan
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Psilo

CHERNOBYL

He has all of her attention once he starts to speak. Her dark eyes drink him peacefully, as do her ears to the notes of his calm tone. The stallion emits a pleasant vibe and naturally she follows suit, relaxing completely as he divulges into his answer. Refined? Her mind questions what he might mean by such a word – As in telepathy? The idea fades as soon as he acknowledges the sun sign, the black unicorn nods quietly to his inquiry about the definite allure surrounding the hieroglyphs. Chernobyl's lips form a faint smile, the involuntary reflex goes unnoticed by her. If he had met her before now he would question whether she was mad or not. To her luck he wouldn't know what a anti-social miserable mess she usually is. She tilts a hind ankle and listens quietly, her inky eyes moving back and forth between him and the symbols. Her nose touches the leaf sign lovingly and afterward she appears to do the same to the moon symbol. “The Gods.” Her voice is airy and nearly a whisper. “They're all here.” The words leave her mouth in a dreamy form, silence seamlessly falls between them while she gazes on all four God symbols.

His question draws her focus away from the wall and back to him. Her expression is back to betraying nothing, her stare is mostly covered by her thick dreaded forelock. “Bull.” She let's a half smile tug at the edge of her muzzle. “Pleasure to meet you Quilyan.” She draws in a breath and fixes her face back to it's normal plainness. “What brings you underground today?

- - - - - -

@Quilyan

:D

pixel is by RELI<3

His violet gaze was lost among the drawings dotting the cavern walls.  Back home, they had moved on to using symbols written on paper - scribes had water magic, and they were able to manipulate colored water to create the symbols - but, once upon a time, there had been hieroglyphs much like these used to document history.  He cocked his head to the side, exploring an age of Helovia that had most likely been lost, save for these cryptic messages.  Who or what had created these drawings?  What were they made of?  How had they appeared on these walls?  Why?

The stallion glanced toward the mare as she pressed her nose lovingly to a symbol of a leaf, and then to a moon.  These, too, were larger than the surrounding images, as if to denote their importance.  He wondered briefly if the gods knew that these pictures existed, if they were aware of the stories behind them.  Was there anyone who knew their meaning?  Their origin?  This mare would not have asked him if she had known, surely - so he assumed that she was just as in the dark as he.  "So they are," he replied softly, his voice hushed, as though in the presence of something sacred.

She introduced herself (or, at least, to the best of his understanding) as Bull - an odd name, to say the least.  He merely smiles, his years of training in diplomacy hiding his amusement.  "The same to you, m'lady."  At her question, however, he pauses, his gaze flicking back to the hieroglyphs, shadows appearing in his eyes.  "I'm not sure, to be perfectly honest.  I suppose I just stumbled upon these caves, and this room caught my attention for obvious reasons.  There's history here, written on these walls, if we could only decipher the code."

"Speak."
--Zarina.--
Quilyan

@Chernobyl

Psilo

CHERNOBYL

The caves shadows embraced them. The dim orange glow plays gently on the tips of Quilyan's wings and Bull's coal black fur. She catches the glint of his violet eyes and cannot help but lean a tiny bit closer to gain a better look at them. She's never been taken by the way anyone looks before nor has she ever cared to. It's always been their personality that turns her off so their appearance always means very little – but Quilyan seems to have the key to her attitude, whatever it may be, and so she takes a second to secretly look him over. She doesn't bother to divert her hidden eyes (forelock) if he catches her looking, she has no filter that way. Eventually she brings her eyes even with his. His answer to her inquiry is almost identical to her own reasons for being drawn down here...

Be careful with that...” She chuckles aloud, her words bubbling from her light laughing while her inky eyes glide over the pulsing markings. “I said the same thing to myself months ago and I have not left the cave for more than a day or so since.” Her voice trails like she's speaking of a lover, she turns to look lovingly on the symbols and then back to Quilyan. “I have yet to find anyone who can tell me anything about them for certain...” Behind the veil of forelock hair her eyes might even be described as a wee bit hopeful. Her voice remains steady as always and her expression doesn't waver from it's normal neutral sort of state.

I want to know what these marks are telling us. What if it's important? What if it's as historical as it is a key to the future?” Her question lingers and her lips trace the lines of the moon once more. The cold wet stone leaves moisture on her long whiskers and the fuzz at the tips of her prehensile lip when she pulls away to continue tentatively staring at the mysteries gauged into the rock wall...

- - - - - -

pfft sorry i made you wait because i'm a butthead xD
@Quilyan

pixel is by RELI<3

Bull's gentle teasing is a welcome reprieve from the abyss of his own mind, and she draws a genuine chuckle from the prince.  He had not noticed her staring, and in fact only turned his violet gaze back to her once she had begun to speak again.  There was something comfortable about their companionship -- or perhaps it was only the darkness that enveloped them, providing a welcome sense of warmth, a deceiving sense of belonging.  The prince wondered vaguely what sordid past had chased Bull down here, if there was more to her story that what she revealed.  He would not blame her for having skimmed over her story, not when he had happily done the same for his.

The cave was an escape, though it had turned into quite the interesting place to hide from his problems.  "I can see why you haven't left," he told her, the sparkling of his eyes hiding how serious he was.  "It's... quiet here.  It would be easy to get lost, lose track of the days..."  Lose track of yourself.  He looked around absently, skimming along the lines that depicted the images on the walls.  Her words gave a voice to his thoughts, and he found himself nodding along thoughtfully.

"Every bit of this cavern is covered in history," he added thoughtfully, "even if it isn't particularly useful history.  Even if these are only, say, bedtime stories for some ancient horse's children, or the drawings of some particularly artistic individual -- it could still give us information about the time period they came from:  the culture, the world, the gods...  It's a shame to imagine all that knowledge lost to the ages, isn't it?"

"Speak."
--Zarina.--
Quilyan

@Chernobyl - bleh I'm so sorry this is crappy.

Psilo

CHERNOBYL

Is it night or day? Birdsong, tallsun or frostfall? Maybe orangemoon? There is no way to tell all the way down here in the dripping tunnels. What a way to live. A wonderful way it is.

Quiet,” She breathes aloud and settles her dark wet eyes onto Quilyan's face. “Yes...quiet indeed.” Her gritty voice is a whisper at this point and her observant gaze moves away from him and back to the walls while he muses a little more on the subject. His voice lulls softly into her ears, bouncing off of the stone walls that surround them. She's quite content to just listen to him for a bit without interjection of her own voice. Bull finds his voice much more pleasant than the 'rattling' of her own. His conclusion draws her attention back to looking at him. Her face almost a frown but still pretty inexpressive. “It would be a tragedy.” Chernobyl bends an ear, an anxious twitch at the thought of this information fading away with time. Thoughts begin to flood, but she dams them up soon enough, clearing her throat and stepping passed the winged stallion toward the  room's archway. “I'm going up top for some fresh air.” So lusterless. She calmly strides passed. The echo of her footfall chimes faintly as she walks toward the opening that leads to the hall. “You can join me, if you'd like, Quilyan.” Bull casts a glance over her shoulder,  her voice having its typical flatness, her expression betraying just as little as her emotionless tone.

Her mind goes back in time for a second or two while she makes her way up and up. It's been a few years since she's seen Murdock, but the void remains the same. Steady as ever, gnawing at her hollow heart. She's never thought of love since nor companionship in general. A few faces here and there, but this particular interaction is the longest in quite some time. His vibrant feathers remain nestled, knotted rather, tightly in her mane. They're buried half the time and display a faded glow from beneath her gnarly black hair.

Fresh air moves outside of the cave's mouth. She can smell the damp leaves, the moving wind, she can hear the birds chattering just outside. She gives her coat a good shake and continues up the slope into the golden sunlight above. Her thorned horn rises first from the ground like the steam that rolls into the morning air all around her. The warm cave air meets the chilly birdsong temperatures in the forest above and so she and the thick fingers of fog move into the open together. It's Birdsong, and it's just after dawn.

She turns to see if Quilyan followed.

- - - - - -

pofff as always sorry for the wait
i really love this random threaddd <33
@Quilyan

pixel is by RELI<3

There is a lull in conversation after he speaks, and he settle easily into the silence. Zarina is settled sleepily in his mane, bored by the conversation and its topic. -- If you are so interested in the paintings, -- she yawns in his mind, -- then why don't you ask someone about them? -- He begins to explain that there isn't anyone around to ask, that these drawings may be hundreds or even thousands of years old, that there isn't anyone left that would know about them - but then she is asleep, tangled in the little nest that she has created in his mane. Quilyan smirks slightly, amused by his companion's lack of interest.

Still, he muses, she might have a point. Perhaps there was someone else that they could ask about the meaning of the drawings.

Bull mentions fresh air, turning towards the cave entrance; Quilyan follows in silence, his brow furrowed ever-so-slightly in thought. The pair wander through the labyrinthian caverns, past grasses and water and everything one could ever need to survive. In fact, the caves had helped Helovians to survive, though the stallion could not remember. Had Zarina been awake, she might have fed him her memories, allowed him to see through her eyes as the wraiths had appeared, driving all of Helovia underground. For now, though, the steed is oblivious, lost in his imaginings of magical beings and age-old secrets.

When the pair emerge from the caves, the prince is surprised by the freshness of the air. He had not realized how stale the caverns had been, nor how dark. It had been fitting, somehow, before, but Bull's conversation has revitalized some part of the steed, reminded him that there is more to life than the past (especially a past that he cannot remember). The gentle breeze of dawn ruffles his feathers, raising bumps along his back as he shakes off the chill. Birdsong, he thought to himself. When did that happen?

"Bull," he began after a moment, his voice distant, lost in thought. "How long have you stayed in the caves?"

"Speak."
--Zarina.--
Quilyan

@Chernobyl

Psilo
@Quilyan

CHERNOBYL

Her eyes float over to him with a slow blink as her name leaves his lips. A half smile pulls at the one side of her inky black mouth. “Oh, I do not even know anymore,” She takes a deep breath, “A few months now. At least since the beginning of Frostfall, for sure, if not longer.” She casts a loving stare back into the wooded beyond that surrounds the pair, fog lifting silently around them. “I've wandered out a few times here and there – once I found a strange fellow who made me dream about those symbols below.” Her words rock her own memory and the feeling floods back. Images of her 'dream' flash through her mind and her voice listlessly falls from her lips. “My dream called them 'runes'. Letters that represent several different things, sometimes even at the same time.” Her head shakes and her fore-hoof toys with the dirt anxiously. “I haven't a clue what to do with that information though...Except share it and see what happens, I guess.” A hollow laugh/scoff bubbles out. She's started to lose hope on knowing the real story pertaining to those hieorglyphs.

Perhaps it's only her loneliness making her doubt. She shakes the feeling from her mind and keeps her eyes toward the orange glow of a rising sun. The skies are pink and purple and fading fast into blue and gold. Soon it will all be blue and the morning will be bright and clear. She draws in another deep breath, as if tasting the air with her lungs.

Where are you from, Quilyan? Are you affiliated with a kingdom here in Helovia or do you wander like I do?” She keeps her stare forward and her voice low, tossing her tail idly behind her as she waits for an answer.

- - - - - -

pixel is by RELI<3