the Rift

[PRIVATE] The drums were sounded

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
He stood at the Edge’s borders, eyes studying the litter of glass at his ivory hooves. So much had happened since he had tried to lead his cat from the Threshold. Echo, in all his wisdom, had sought to wander further for awhile, either mistrusting of the Elephant that injured his spotted daughter or curious about the lands within or adjacent to Helovia.

Regardless, Adaeze had chosen to accompany him to the Edge. At least, she had until he had told her (perhaps stupidly, but the Elephant’s poor mind had been both shocked at having found Adaeze in Helovia and still haunted by the Deep Forest) of the Rift Battles. And, as the old general should have expected, Adaeze was off— haunches fading as her fleet feet carried her away from him and towards the source of conflict.

At least she hadn't changed.

But the Elephant had. Unseeing eyes roamed the sharp, glittering edges— surely some of them should be wearing down with the seasons, now. He certainly was wearing down with the seasons. But, a buoyant thought lifted the downward direction of his thoughts, he was a father now. That had changed him. For the better. Unlike his magic.

A sigh pushed out his black nostrils, before they flared and brought in a deep, refreshing breath. Birdsong was new, life was bursting early this season as compared to last. His eyes floated to the trees, wondering what else this season would bring. An ear swiveled around, wondering if Mbwene was staying with Hawezi, or if she would was seeking him out. Though the little Elephant held a piece of his soul, her grouchiness and impatience were quickly becoming hallmark behaviors. And, when the Elephant was on the verge of brooding, she was quick to swat him with her trunk and give him a sharp trumpet. So it was a mild relief that Hawezi took up much of her time, these days.
Tembovu
the Elephant King

@adaeze

Please tag Tembovu.

Adaeze Posts: 32
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: 6
ali
Adaeze

Tembovu's first mistake was telling the cheetah about the recent happenings in Helovia. Talk about the gods and battles and killing gods made the cat suspicious. Weren't gods supposed to be powerful? Weren't they supposed to be immortal? Everything that she'd ever heard told her that they were. So how could a bunch of mortals kill them unless they weren't really gods.  It was something that the mare was going to have to investigate on her own.

Tembovu's second mistake was turning his back on her after feeding her so much information. The stallion should have known how her mind worked and how suspicion and the need to know drove her. He should have known that the pull So with his back turned she had run off, leaving the king in a cloud of dust. 

In the end there was little that Ada found by snooping around, but she was sure that she would gain some information and understanding by talking to the locals. Before she did that, however, she decided to head in the direction Tembovu had said the World's Edge was in. She was sure that he missed her making his life as difficult as he always claimed. She lost track of how much time it took her to make it to the Edge and how many lands she traveled through, but the cheetah had to admit that Helovia's landscape was beautiful.

Ada's pace slowed as she reached the treeline that marked the beginning of the Edge's territory (from what she rembered of Tembovu's description.) It wasn't until she reached the broken down glass wall that she knew she was in the right place. And, well ... the area smelled strongly of Tembovu. She moved along the glass wall simply because she was curious about how far it stretched, not because she thought he would be lingering by it, but there he was. "Why the long face, sweetheart?" The cat purred as she strode forward.

"."

Tembovu the Elephant King
After all that had transpired since leaving his cat— he was a father of a child with a woman he deeply cared for, and he had promised his lover a chance at happiness together— it was too much to mull over, too much to feel, to much to think. The Elephant King found himself more engrossed in personal issues than those of the herd… is that how corruption started? Is that how greed started? Were these the sour seeds that soiled the Makutano?

His head jerked up, ears perked and navy eyes immediately sweeping (admiring) the curves of her body. There was a new kind of emotion that leapt in him; it was equal parts tilting arousal and impulsive guilt— it gripped and wrenched out the bottom barrel so that he had no foundation for his emotions. He just felt then. Confused, affected gaze crinkled at the corners, however, in the easy amusement he found at the cheetah’s question.

“If you only knew how long it could be,” his low rumble is laced with hilarity, for Ada didn’t know that he could shift into an elephant. But that was a surprise for a different day, he mused. Instead, his thick neck stretched out in greeting (perhaps a more personal greeting than he afforded most others entering the Edge), great skull aiming to brush his pal muzzle against her dark one. It was not a lingering touch (at least he did not intend it to be), but it was still intimate. It was impulsive, instinctual, and he could not deny his body.

“Did you find what you were looking for, when you left me?” His question started honestly, but ended hurt and nearly accusing. He knew the cat couldn’t help herself… But he had never suffered from curiosity like Adaeze, and so he didn’t fully understand.

@Adaeze table switch cause I just made this one ;D

Please tag Tembovu.

Outcast
ali
Adaeze

There was always a mixture of emotions that swirled around the cat every time she found Tembovu, be it accidental or purposely. There was instinctual fear because she knew first hand what he was capable of when a situation called for violence. There was attraction because what Dorobian woman wasn't attracted to a stallion that was strong and capable and feared? (there was also lust, but Ada didn't often dwell on that). And, of course, there was happiness because Tembovu was her friend (and savior, but that was another something that she didn't dwell on), he was the only one in Dorobo that she had been able to talk to who truly understood her.

“If you only knew how long it could be.” He said in response to her question and Ada smiled. She wasted little time in closing the distance between herself and the king. She ignored his outstretched muzzle (honestly, he knew that wasn't how she said 'hello' to him) and instead settled for rubbing against his side in a very catlike manner. "I'm sure its not the only thing thats long, Temby." She hummed, her golden eyes sparkling with amusement.

“Did you find what you were looking for, when you left me?”

Ada circled around Tembovu, her shoulder never losing touch with his hide even as she came to a standstill on his left. "Oh come on, Temby, you couldn't honestly expect me not want to have a look around after telling me everything you did. Besides...  you know cats wander." As she spoke she reached to touch her muzzle to the elephant's cheek. "But we always return to the ones we like. You know... when we need food, water, shelter ... a little petting."

"."

There was a resolve in the the Elephant King to protect the cat. Not that she needed— and she most assuredly would have scoffed and laughed and shrugged him off had he voiced aloud such a resolve. But, still, it existed in him and he kept it deep within his chest. He hadn’t known, however, that that protection had morphed to include protection from himself. Perhaps it was the flash of sun on the shiny, scared skin on her shoulder as she approached him that made him realize this. Or, perhaps it was the heat that filled his veins as she came closer and her scent filled his nostrils— the very scar he saw on her shoulder meeting his own.

Her coat slid easily against him, a warm silk to his rough hide. His neck twisted so that darkening, navy eyes could follow her every move; black-rimmed ears perked to ear her throaty hum. Though they laid back slightly as her humor fell thickly on the sudden, sensual tension that leapt up between them; however, he couldn't help the small, lopsided grin that turned up the corners of his muzzle.

But he stayed quiet, eyes that trailed her body finding more and more scars, even as she came to a halt at his left shoulder. His head swung around to face her, heads close and breaths shared as she answered his question— quickly inciting the heat in his veins to melt some parts of his resolve (mainly the parts that had to do with him not touching her). And that was entirely futile hope in the wind the moment her velvet muzzle brushed his cheek and the purring words of “petting.”

A long, slightly ragged breath left his nostrils as his bulk was suddenly leaning into her felines feminine frame. “I know cats wander, but I would prefer if my kipaka wandered with me so that I may do the petting,” his murmur was low, rumbling quietly from his barrel as her pet name fell easily from his lips. His thick neck curved more, great muscles bunching in such a close space as he reached to grab and yanked her forelock to expound in his point.

—but what was he doing? His head drew back, flames retreating and blood cooling as he realized just what he was doing, what she was doing. “Adaeze—” his voice was hoarse, abrupt, “Ada I’m—” but he wasn’t sorry for what he had done. Was that the crux of his internal conflict? He was sorry that he had hurt her, but it had been necessary… A sigh pushed out of his nostrils as his head away from her, facing forward. After a short pause, his voice finally continued (although less hoarse), “—I’m glad you came back to me.”

kipaka=kitten

@Adaeze I'm not real sure what's going on in Temb's head rn o_o

Please tag Tembovu.

Outcast
ali
Adaeze

Of course he would prefer that she wandered with him, that was no surprise to the spotted woman. She did wonder, though, for a moment if his desire for her to stay close to him was because he wanted to protect her or if it were something more. "But how far can you wander before your herd calls you back?" She asked. Surely she wouldn't be able to get adequate exploring or snooping done if she had to have a chaperon everywhere she went. "And you're slow." She teased. "But... slow and steady isn't always bad, darling."

The words had scarcely passed her lips before he grabbed and yanked her forelock. It wasn't exactly painful nor was it entirely unpleasant. The cat actually found humor in the gesture. "I always thought you'd be a hair puller, Temby." The mare giggled. She stepped forward several steps before she turned to face the Elephant King. "I suppose in time I'll find out the other things I've been curious about. Like if you're a screamer, or..."

"Adaeze..."

It was the hoarseness of Tembovu's voice that silence the mare. The humor faded from her eyes and her face took on a serious expression. "Temby..." But his voice silenced her again and she listened. He was glad that she came back to him. "You know me, I'm a glutton for punishment ... can't let go of my bad habits." She attempted to joke, but the tone of his voice had gotten to her. "Temby, what's wrong?"

"."

Ears twitch at her question of his chains to the herd. “I may wander where I please,” was his quick, rash, immediate answer. But he followed it shortly with, “But I should stay near or close within the Edge’s borders…” his low rumble trails, perhaps with some regret— though it faded as a scowl creased his brow and face as she called him ’slow.’

His scowl deepens as her words continued to tease, forever promise just outside of reach. Firstly because of the Makutano and now… Now because of his ties within Helovia and the scars on her flesh. Though her sudden giggle draws at parts of him— parts he found hard to ignore; parts that drew his attention to the sway of her hips against his skin as she moved forward and turned to face him.

And, for a moment, he thinks he has reached her as he watches her listen to him. Her plains-marked face is lined with seriousness, hearing him… “You know me, I’m a glutton for punishment.” Ears that had swung forward tilt back against his skull as a harsh, annoyed snort pushes past his nostrils. Eyes narrow, “Ada, I do not like joking about that,” Indeed, his lips purse at the memory of finding her bleeding, collapsed body after Mawindo had trapped and beaten her…

He sighs at her question, thinking long and hard about his answer. There was much wrong— when he thought all was right, suddenly his relations were all in shambles. His chest grew tight, heavy, as the faces began to run through his mind; navy eyes darken, dropping away from Ada’s watchful gold…

And, instead of voicing aloud all the fodder his demons were thriving on, his low rumble simple says, “I did not think I would see you again. I though, in Dorobo, that it was goodbye. I never envisioned myself escaping alive.” The last part of his confession catches him by surprise— he hadn’t realized that until he had fled. Fled the pointed horns pointed at his great chest. He had planned on dying amid the ruin he had caused.

Instead, now, he was a King. Shaking his head slightly, his eyes seek to meet hers again, “You’ll be happy to know that Aji is here,” his muzzle reaches out to innocently nibble at the ends of her mane, eyes trying to lighten and leave the demons and darkness behind as he teases her with her frenemy’s name. And, after all her teasing, he couldn’t not touch her.

@Adaeze

Please tag Tembovu.

Outcast
ali
   Adaeze</style>
  </style>

Ada raised a 'brow' at Tembovu's rash answer to her question about how far he was able to travel from the herd's borders. "No need to be so snappy, Tembovu." The mare snorted. She had to suppress herself from rolling her eyes as he admitted that he needed to stay near, if not within the Edge's borders. Really? Were they that dependent on him that he couldn't have a life outside of the Edge's borders?

Her attempt at lightening the mood was an utter failure. Both the tone of Tembovu's voice and the look on his face sent a pang of guilt through the spotted mare. Perhaps it had been insensitive of her to joke about something as serious as what had happened in Dorobo. Yes, it had affected her physically and emotionally but Tembovu had not been unscathed. "I'm sorry, Temby." The spotted mare finally said. "Its just ... its something that I'd rather joke about because if I didn't I'd cry about it." She tried to explain. "And I've done enough crying to last me the rest of my life. But I get it, I won't joke about it around you again."

“I did not think I would see you again. I though, in Dorobo, that it was goodbye. I never envisioned myself escaping alive.”

"I don't think any of us planned on escaping alive, Tembovu." the cheetah replied. "I never intended on leaving Dorobo. I planned on dying there with..." with the rest of my family. "But you." She laughed a little and shook her head. "For whatever reason you made it your mission to make sure that I got out alive and I just..." I just can't understand why. Was it because he felt bad about what he'd done to her? Was he trying to make amends for all the hurt he and his soldiers had caused? Or was it that they had become the unlikeliest of friends. Whatever the reason was she was glad that he'd saved her and she was glad that he'd made it out of Dorobo alive. "I'm glad you made it out." She voiced what she was thinking. "I didn't want you to die there."

"You'll be happy to know that Aji is here."

A smile made its way across her face at the new that Tembovu shared with her. "Really?" She laughed. "But I can't say that I'm surprised, I never thought that slimy bastard would die in Dorobo. If you see him before I do tell him I said hi." She would save the sharp jabs and snotty remarks for when they finally met face to face.

"."

Credits

“It’s something that I’d rather joke about because if I didn’t, I’d cry about it.” Her words, the truth that resonated so deeply in her explanation, pressed his lips together and shut his eyes. There was guilt, pain, anger— it was a multitude of emotions that roared in his chest at her words; and they were all directed at himself.

But, as natural as all things were with Ada, she simply agreed to his poignant request. And that was all— no grudges, no dragging him through her blood that he had spilled or reliving the scars he had left on her.

Done. Moving on.

Though their words were serious, a shimmering light of relief lightened his chest. It grew lighter with her laugh— and that is all he focused on her. Her laugh, the sway of the man he nibbled as she shook her head; gone were the responsibilities and guilt. Gone were the shredded hearts and hurt souls.

It was simply an Elephant and his kitten.

And it was easy.

“You made it your mission to make sure that I got out alive.” His head drew away from her mane and cocked at her confusion while her words faded. “Of course I did. You didn’t need to die— too many I cared about already were buried in Dorobo’s sands…” he trailed off for a moment, before adding, “And I couldn’t allow those haunches to go to waste,” he grinned and winked, just as she voiced that she was glad he made it out alive.

“You didn’t?” his surprised question was pushed past his lips before he could stop it. For all the shared secrets between them, he had been both her captor and abuser for so long in the Great Plains… His thick, black lips opened and closed, searching for words to follow his surprised, unintentional question. But he found none.

So, instead, he reached out his skull aiming to bump his muzzle against her chest, “I’m sure he’d rather hear it purred from your sweet mouth.” He chuckled deeply at the thought of Aji seeing Ada once again. “He’s a spy for the Edge now,” he paused, gaze sweeping her body in thought, before continuing, “Do you want a trade in the herd, Ada? We’ve healers, crafters, spies, warriors, and wise ones.”

@Adaeze

Please tag Tembovu.

Outcast
ali
   Adaeze</style>
  </style>

“Of course I did. You didn’t need to die— too many I cared about already were buried in Dorobo’s sands…”

Ada remained quiet, but she couldn't help but wonder just when, in Dorobo, she had become someone that Tembovu cared about; and for that matter, when he had become someone she cared about. Her thoughts were easily rerouted when he commented on her haunches. "They are quite fantastic, aren't they?" She teased."I'm sure my future lovers will be very grateful that you saved me and didn't allow my haunches to go to waste." She winked and she could have teased more if Tembovu wouldn't have spoken again.

"You didn't?"

"Of course not." She said and paused because he appeared as though he wanted to say more. "What's wrong, sweeatheart? Cat got your tongue?" Her head dropped down as Tembovu touched his muzzle to her chest and she sighed. "Too many I cared about were buried there, too." The cheetah admitted. "I didn't want you to join them."

Their conversation moved on and she grinned at the idea of seeing Aji face to face. "Where do you suppose he is?" She asked before casting a quick glance around. "I think I'd like to visit my dear, dear friend now that I'm finally home."Oh, she was sure he was going to be absolutely thrilled that she had made it safely. She couldn't wait to see the look on his face when she waltzed right up to him.

She had already turned and was walking away to go in search of Aji when Tembovu's next question made her stop. She couldn't help but laugh when he asked if she wanted a trade in the heard before listing them off. The spotted women turned her head to look over her shoulder at her new king. "Sweetheart, you know I'm not a healer. And ... I'm more of a lover than a fighter." She winked as she spoke. "Why don't you think about what position you want me in, Temby, and let me know later." She flicked her tail and set off into deeper into the Edge to find her best frenemy.

"."

Credits