Dacianna Posts: 55
Absent Abyss atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.1hh :: 4 Y/O HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
imi
If I told you about my favourite dream
[The one without you]
Would you spit fire at me?

Was this it?

For a while Dacianna had been trying to find the Hidden Falls, the place Cirrus had spoken of, in hopes of completing another part of her mission. Birdsong had arrived in force, before it had seemed like winter would never release its grasp, but finally it did and the closer Dacianna got to the roaring waterfall herd the better the weather got. However, by the time she finally reached it night had fallen and her coat shone brightly against the dark backdrop. A grim, annoyed line set across her lips; another reminder that the Moon’s curse would not be lifted if she did not complete this quest. Another mission. Looking thoughtfully at the path ahead she wondered if she could actually sneak into the herd, even when she glowed look at me and hear ears were almost useless.

Still, she tried.

It was perhaps not one of her greatest ideas, but with careful consideration she made her way along the border, trying to find the point where a waterfall cascaded so her footsteps and jewels might be muffled. She hesitated. Wasn’t she here to ask those of the Falls to teach her their laws and history? Then why was she trying to sneak in? Her heart was suddenly torn between King and God; whose order was paramount? Whom did she serve? Yet one was for the benefit of the herd and the other was, well, for her own benefit really. She wondered if the residents of the Falls were hostile in greeting strangers, if they were anything like the Edge, then perhaps she might be forgiven for looking like she was trying to sneak in.

What if they didn’t see her? What if she made it all the way in—no, she had to do it.

One hoof went in front of the other and Dacianna steadily began to attempt to make her away over the border and into the Falls, without anyone noticing. She tried to hide her glowing body behind the odd rock or tree she found whilst her heart hammered in her chest. She wondered quite bitterly, now that she was in the thick of it, why she had drank the potion in the first place. Still, it wasn’t like she was trying to walk into a lion’s den, right?

Dacianna is attempting to sneak into the Hidden Falls due to a quest she's trying to complete, but she's also here to ask about the law and history of the Hidden Falls >_>'' 

Dacianna's coat currently glows in the night, so she is easier to spot :3 

<3
Don't let the curtain catch you, cause you've been here before,
The chair is an island darling, you can't touch the floor
--------------------------
force permitted / please tag me

Knox Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 7.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17hh :: 7 Years [Tallsun] HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Jen

"You've taken one too many steps, mare," comes the voice of the hunter through the night. It splits the cool air of the birdsong evening with a twanging threat. This is his night patrol, on the edge of his herd lands, and someone has just gone too far into the Falls to be forgiven.

He tries to remember the things he has been taught. Like a dog on a leash, he struggles against discipline but repeats it in his mind. Diplomacy first, manipulation second, violence if needed comes third. Knox isn't sure if he'll be a good enough boy to hold still and ask questions, though. He can't promise that he won't just shoot first.

She is hard to miss, but he isn't. In the nighttime, in his home and element, under the cloak of his magic, he is invisible until he chooses to be seen. And when he does reveal himself it is with his mangled mask twisted to face the intruder, his bloody-red lip shriveled upwards in a half snarl of a frown. Half of his face, gone with the power of dragonfire, but his eye still glows: a mystical, impossible silvery power of smoke.

"Tell me your name and why you have come. I'll decide if you can stay," Knox says sharply, stepping forward and into her space, towering over her. Her unnatural glow illuminates the ripples of his scar and the harsh ridges of his features. The lines etched into his face from years of trauma and anger become deep carvings in stone. There's barely a moment before he pushes his face closer, as if jabbing her with a reprimand, and snaps his teeth down to hiss a command through them: "SPEAK."

This is his house. These are his rules. She has taken one step too far.

Knox
ave mortuite salutat
</style>
Credit

@Dacianna (@Brendan is also interested in joining us)

Brendan Posts: 31
Aurora Basin Medic atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 16hh :: Two Years (Orangemoon Born) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Arwen :: Plain Hellhound :: Acid Emily

BRENDAN
HARDSHIP OFTEN PREPARES AN ORDINARY PERSON FOR AN EXTRAORDINARY DESTINY

After Arwen hatched and bonded to me, and the strange encounter that followed I had hung near the edges of the Falls. I still wanted to live here, i'm just not sure yet that i'm really welcome. So when night fell and the glowing mare moved across the invisible line that marked the Falls from the wilds, I followed her. Arwen was left for now, curled up silently below a tree. I left a trail. Intentionally dragging one of my hind legs along so that should she wake she could find me.

Of course, it does not take long for someone to find the glowing mare. "You've taken one too many steps, mare," His voice sends shivers down my spine, and they aren't even at me. I can not see who the voice belongs to at first, but when I do.... Well it takes all i have not to run. Of course, with the sudden change in my emotions, bright silver flames shoot up from my body like a beacon in the night. Crap. Now i'm busted. But I can not control it, without first learning to control my emotions. For me to try that at my age... Well it's almost impossible. "Tell me your name and why you have come. I'll decide if you can stay,"

I tremble, unsure if he has seen me too. My silver flaming body should give me away.... But I am unsure. Arwen, even in sleep feels my fear and wakes. Without warning I feel her own fear as she runs to me. I don't know if she's in trouble, or reacting to my fear as well. "SPEAK." But I remain quiet, frozen in fear with my hellhound pup at my hooves and lit up like a beacon in what I think is harmless silver flames. Guess i'll know soon enough if i'm allowed to stay.

"Talk"

imi
[The one without you]

It was quite safe to say that Dacianna almost shit herself when a voice pierced through the night, grounding the creeping mare to a sharp halt. So much for making it all the way in, she had hardly got a few steps in before an unseen being broke her cover, if she ever had any at all. Her gilded eyes flashed this way and that, trying to find the owner of the voice and when no one came forth she began to wonder if she’d imagined it. ”No way” she thought, maybe it was a ghost? Perhaps the Hidden Falls was haunted. Then why would Tembovu send her here? There must be someone…  somewhere. Even if she tried to listen though it wouldn't be any use, the potion had done a good job of taking out her hearing when she really needed it. 

If she took a step back would she still be one too many in? 
She snorted. ”This isn’t funny” she reminded herself. 

The roan thought briefly of the moon, beginning to realise the difficulty of her task and how impossible it seemed. Yet, still she must complete it and the Philosopher was about to go one more step in when a maimed figure appeared in front of her.

"Fu- she half cursed in surprise.

He was a tall, dark imposing figure, a half snarl projected towards her from his bloody lip and half his face appeared to be burned away. Her illuminous body lit up parts of his scars and an eye of silver as he stepped into her space. For a moment, the scholar’s gaze softened on him, her brow becoming one of sympathy for how much the wound he carried must have surely hurt and the months for it to heal. She stepped backwards, however, feeling uncomfortably close to him and his sharp words rattled her ears backwards. What if she was lost, was he like this to everyone? He goes to push his face closer and she recoils from him, his hissing command forcing a sharp reply.

“ALRIGHT” she shouted, “I can see why they send you on patrol” her annoyed voice muttered.

“I’m Daci, a scholar, I was looking for the Hidden Falls, I presume this is it,” she snorted at him, trying to keep her temper on a leash lest this monster rip her to pieces, and keep him from knowing that she was actually trying to sneak in. “I am tasked with learning the various laws and history of each herd here, can you help me?” she finished, fighting to keep her voice light and innocent, despite it being a rather odd request for the middle of the night.

It was then that Dacianna noticed the sudden flash of light in the corner of her eye and her gaze snaps away from her rather scary greeter, and to the beacon that lit up the night in silver flames.

“Is that fire?” she asked with concern.

@Knox

Jen

Knox is a hunter. Knox is a warrior of his own kind. He is hostile, and he doesn't give a shit why she's come here. She's come too far, and now she is going to leave. Why ask her intent, then? Is he just playing with his food or too fickle to maintain his own opinion.

Regardless, he is satisfied by her response: her fear. When she dares to sound irritated, it takes his all to not snap her head off. He draws on the magic of his rank, pulling the words that follow apart, and senses them to be truth. Truth or not, Knox is reluctant to provide her with any information.

He's not that kind of a steed.

"Lucky for you, I know you're not lying. If you'd dared to I'd have your tongue ripped out of your throat, mare." He does not mince words or threats. If he doesn't chase her out, he wants her to at least contemplate running.

"There is a Mountain That Knows," Knox snarls with a heady shrug, being as vague as possible when referencing the herd's storyteller and his father's newfound friend. He has little feelings for the earthen mare, but it seems every ancestor that meets her forms a new one. "Tell me who sent you and maybe you'll be granted an audience," is all he's willing to provide.

He is an officer of intelligence, after all, and he has never been known to make particularly fair trades.

He isn't known for mercy, either, but he does have a reputation to uphold. So when the mare points out flames--flames that instantly spook him and cause a hot spit of terror to surge through him as he is reminded of the monster that burned off his face--Knox does his best to recover. They illuminate the boy easily, and Knox frowns deeply at the sight of an unfamiliar colt on Hidden Falls territory. Another glowing creature trying to sneak in? Still, the silver in those flames suggests a magic that reminds him of his own blinding smoke and he quickly pulls together a crafted excuse.

The hunter moves towards the young one with imperceptibly shaking, horrifying, pounding hoofbeats. His dark frame towers over that of the paint boy. The mare's alertness, her awareness of this little inconvenience, is a disservice.

"Yes, fire. Flames of a rising Hidden Falls warrior. A member of our herd," Knox lies through his aching teeth. Better to act as if this fool is a member than to make it seem as if he's let two slip onto his territory tonight.

Knox's tail lashes and he snaps his gaze to look at the boy, staring him down and hoping he'll do the right thing--play into the lie. "Isn't that right, boy? Born and raised here by me. Raised to keep late night intruders off of our lands," Knox says, sure to make the last part pointed. There's a hesitant note there, something that could evolve into pride if the colt does as he should. He thinks of Milo, his true son, but only for a second.

Milo is a spineless little mute. Will this child be the same, or will he be smart enough to follow a well-crafted lie and save his insolent skin?

Knox
ave mortuite salutat
Credit

Knox uses his rank magic, lie detect, to determine that Dacianna is telling the truth. @Dacianna and @Brendan sorry for the wait.

Brendan Posts: 31
Aurora Basin Medic atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 16hh :: Two Years (Orangemoon Born) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Arwen :: Plain Hellhound :: Acid Emily

BRENDAN
HARDSHIP OFTEN PREPARES AN ORDINARY PERSON FOR AN EXTRAORDINARY DESTINY

I am spotted. Not at first by the one who had caused the silver flames to rise from my young frame. But by the mare, who it seemed did not belong here. Arwen stands protectively in front of my hooves, as if she would be any match should the stallion decide to attack. No little one. Please, sister. With my family gone, she was all I had. Like a sister and a daughter all in one.

The mare of course drew the stallion's attention. Why, why did she have to do that. He moves toward me, and towers over my small frame. "Yes, fire. Flames of a rising Hidden Falls warrior. A member of our herd," I relax slightly. It seems that it was true. I had been accepted after all. The male stares me down, and I stare back. I know he has lied, as I am not rising warrior. I am not a warrior at all. Just a young colt with a very inconvenient magic that I can not control. "Isn't that right, boy? Born and raised here by me. Raised to keep late night intruders off of our lands," I nod at first.

But then I find my voice and speak. "Yes Father. I was just trying to draw attention to the intruder. You told me not to face any alone." Yep. I crafted a lie in return, and returned the stare the male had given me. All he has to do is go with it. I can play off my fire and everything. There would be time for the truth, later. For now, i'll allow this stallion to keep his lie. That is, if he keeps mine.

"Talk"

@Dacianna :D

imi
[The one without you]

”Oh Lady moon, what are you doing to me?” Dacianna mourned inwardly at her situation. The predicament was her own fault, but blaming the God made her feel better about it. The scary shadow in front of her seemed intent on making her feel as unwelcome as possible and the scholar’s gaze wavered when the prospect of having her tongue ripped from its proper place made her feel slightly ill. ”Yes, lucky me” she thought, not feeling lucky in anyway at all. She felt like he would have fit in quite well in Riftian society, with his burnt face and bloody threats, if it weren’t for the fact she would never wish that world on anyone, she might have suggested it to him—but life left marks in all sorts of ways and Dacianna was the wrong side of the border to be making swiping remarks. Despite how unnecessary she thought his words were.

The roan had no choice but to trust the stallion would do her no harm and continue with the task Tembovu had set her. She ignored all his ultimatums and snarling, focussing on a knowing mountain that might finally tell her more about this bizarre world she had been rescued into. “A mountain?” Dacianna asked with hope, curious by his choice of words—didn’t all mountains, in their centuries of stoically watching, know things? Dacianna thought it best to just answer his questions, however, rather than start asking her own lest she lose a tongue.

“The Elephant King of the Worlds Edge, Tembovu, sent me to fulfil my task and bring back stories of other herds” she informed, hoping the name of her King would make matters easier, “we welcome your own scholars to the Worlds Edge so we may also share our knowledge” the roan finished with a faint, hopeful smile. What was more valuable than a trade of minds, story for story—from one wise one to another?

The flicker of the flame appeared to have finally caught his eye and Dacianna shied with him, his sudden movement making her jump. So he was frightened of something? Though the burn on his face may explain that. Daci, however, is more concerned over the fact that the fire had spooked him—that is, until he starts striding over to the source of it.

A boy. A member of the herd—father and son?

Dacianna stood there, perplexed, as the two greeted each other in an odd fashion and her golden eyes drifted to the hound by the colt’s side. That was no normal hound either. The colt was also the source of the silver fire, though he didn’t appear to be bothered by it and Daci watched it flicker “does that not… bother you?” she asked the kid, nodding to the flames.

@Knox <3

Jen

It was perfect, the way the boy lied. The words spilled from his lips slowly, like the most wicked sort of honey, and Knox had to actually try and suppress a grin. Beneath his dark and tainted lips, teeth that would forever be stained red with blood gripped each other in a hidden smile. But he would never show this mare that he had anything in him other than anger and hate. "Well done, my boy," Knox praises, thinking of how undeserving his own son is of such words.

It was half true, after all. He ran his good eye over the mare, inspecting her every stripe and sinew. On a whim, in a faint daydream, he imagined her dead on the ground. He wondered vaguely who would believe who, or if his actions would be pardoned on the basis of her intrusion. But wouldn't that start a war, and wouldn't the war end all things? Would it really be so bad if it did? He snorted at the thought of it, the screaming and bleeding battlefield of his youth that was now decomposed and covered with flowers. No, these were not the days of the Grey. That violence was, to some extent, behind him now.

The mare put forth names and legend titles, but none of them did anything to impress him. Knox had been in Helovia a long time, and had met many men who called themselves kings as this Temobu did. He was, and always would be, unimpressed. Though Knox did not seek recognition, it was clear to him that he deserved it more than some of the other fools running about this land. What sort of king would send a herd member into the night like this, seeking knowledge? He knows she isn't lying, but that doesn't mean she's smart, and it doesn't mean he has to respect her wishes. After all, she doesn't know that he knows that she's telling the... oh, fuck it.

"Our scholars know much of the world, I doubt they'll find their knowledge so lacking that they must rely on yours. But should they wish to plumb your depths," and this is said sarcastically, bitterly, as if to imply that she is a fool with no depth at all, "then I am sure they will approach you diplomatically, and in the light of day, as allies should. The Elephant King may have sent you on this mission, but he did not judge his audience well. You can return to him with the information that our laws include outsiders wait at the border, and make themselves known with respect." Even the word allies tastes sour on his tongue. Knox looks at Brendan, his gaze steady and encouraging. He has no more time for this mare, but the boy...

Knox flicks his tail dismissively, and then does the same with his head in a dull nod. "Now go. I will send--" Knox pauses, for he realizes in a moment of heartbreak that he can no longer have Manhattan escort the intruder out. He can't have her do anything.

He never could, not really.

"... I will send word of you to the mountain that knows, but I have already given you more knowledge than you need for tonight." He first thinks a threat, but then sees no reason to hide it. "Do not attempt to sneak across our borders again, or I will not show so much restraint. The Dauntless makes alliances with whomever he pleases, but under threat this herd can break them in a heartbeat." His teeth snapped upon the t in heartbeat, as if he really was crushing her heart between them as he spoke. His half silver gaze was unforgiving and cold. Knox would watch her walk away.

Knox
ave mortuite salutat
Credit

Sorry for the wait! It won't happen again. @Brendan @Dacianna