the Rift

[PRIVATE] The simple and the complex

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

[Only @Torleik can approve others posting here. Posting order only applies to Torleik.]

There are things in the world which are simple.

Then there are the things that are complex. Given the new life growing inside of Ophelia and her desire to return to the Throat ... well, perhaps Torleik has had enough complex.

But life rarely cares for such things.

Yarrrrr. To me~

The voice was a growl on the wind, but it definitely wasn't audible. It quaked and rattled around the tiny bones of the ears, causing them to vibrate and relay the message.

To me, quick as you like. Bring yer woman if you will, it don't make no nevermind to me.

The voice was gruff and uneducated and sounded like it likely belonged to someone who'd sooner season a soup with their own snot than take a bath. But there was a confidence in it, and no danger ... Impatient maybe, but not nefarious.

An orb of light hovered near Torleik, rising in brightness from nothing to a warm pulsing glow. Obviously it was there to direct the dark soon-to-be-father towards whoever the holder of the voice was. It didn't make much sense, but in these contexts such guides and signs rarely did, but nor should they be ignored.

[Setting this close to your current thread with Ophelia? Doesn't need to be though. Timeline can be anything if this doesn't suit you.]

Image Credits

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod

"Where worlds collide, blood divides
When darkness falls, fate calls"

It wasn't much of a shock that their burgeoning foray into life as parents was beginning on ground as stable as sliding, breaking shale rock - although Torleik mused that Ophelia would still have an easier time than he, with her cloven hooves. He supposed that reflected her prior stint of pregnancy and motherhood. That was a bitterly sour thought across his brain's ridges and he shoved it aside. Not now. Their journey was silent, and though he felt somewhat tense in general, it wasn't completely directed at his woman. She vexed him with her impossibly independent nature, but he loved her. They would figure this out, make it work. They had to. He had to.

The rhythm of their steps had lulled him into a bit of a stupor, and he thought that the first hints of a voice he heard were just rustlings on the wind, buffeted air that twisted and sounded off similar to a voice or song or scream. Nothing new, nothing to pay much heed to. But the words that slithered past his ear clear as the reflected sky in placed water on the ground of the Halcyon Flats made his head snap up, his entire body tense and on alert. "Did you hear that?" the Bloodskald asked Phi, glancing at her and feeling he already knew the answer. These words, they had been meant for him alone, but why?

As he cast his sharp blues around for any hint of who might have owned the voice, an unmistakably new arrival commanded his attention: a floating orb of light. Intrigued and wary, he took a hesitant step toward it, stopping and looking back to Ophelia. "Come with me?" he asked, hopeful, uncertain. "There might be danger if I bring you with, or the danger might be to scare me into leaving you here...and I would rather face whatever comes with you by my side," he told her firmly.  

Coding by Tamme with credits to Sevin | Art by Yewrezz

Omg I don't know how to tag random event ;-;
@Ophelia
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

Ophelia tried to understand everything from his point of view. Honestly, she could search his head and experience it for herself, but she wasn't sure that would change her mind. She and he were very different. When Torleik decided to leave the Aurora Basin and lead the Edge, she gave up her position as the Queen. Loving him and being by his side was more important than her personal dislike of the Moon Goddess or her strong love for the mountains in the north.

Also, she didn't understand what she perceived to be his insecurity. He had nothing to be insecure about. Torleik was handsome, a good warrior, had been a leader, and he had a good heart. But when it came to her, he seemed so unsure of them together. Ophelia wasn't sure she had given him a reason to doubt her loyalty or love, and his second guessing of her commitment to this partnership was wearing on her slowly. It seemed, though perhaps this was unreasonable, that her desires only made him angry.

She could not be anyone else but herself. Were they too different?

Ophelia tried to shove away that nagging, heart wrenching question as they walked, stopping only when he did and shaking her head at his question. She hadn't really heard anything, but she quickly walked into his head to listen in. Phi wondered at the voice and its strange lilt, and her eyes took in the orb of light with scrutiny. Magic had a way of being either incredibly beautiful or amazingly catastrophic, and she very much worried that it was the latter.

"I am with you always," she said firmly, sticking to his side if not slightly behind as the ventured into this unknown together.

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

[lol, you don't tag RE anymore. You tag 'Mythical Request' :) ]

A creature vaguely appearing like the 3rd generation bastard child of an inbreed raccoon and human-thing, set cross legged on the sands. In his hands (for it certainly did appear to be male, but with so many other mutated aspects it was hard to tell), there was a warn and gnarled stick. There were runes carved upon it, though none that resembled those engraved in Torleik's horns.

No, the Bloodskald and this .. thing were clearly from different wheres. Different whens too, by the looks of it.

"Hope the guide didn't give yer too much trouble. These old bones prefer to be sat still on the ground, so they do." The creature apprised the two monochromatic creatures before him with wide and cunning eyes. "But yer made it here just the same, so all's well."

The creature's dexterous paw/hands smoothed the tattered remnants of its cloak - a material that seemed to closely resemble burlap.

"So then cully, yer abandoned the moon-lady, and now yer off to live in the wild-places with yer woman? Is that it?" His gaze and voice were non-judgmental, but they were filled with a knowing sort of amusement, as if there was some larger cosmic joke or scheme that both Ophelia and Torleik were unaware of.

But wasn't there always?

The creature waved his stick as if to cut off argument from Torleik immediately. "Oh aye, she dethroned ye quick as a flash and yer realized the big bad truth about her. But you had made a promise to follow her, so ye did, but you left." His eyes darted to Ophelia. "If this one betrayed ye that badly, treated yer like so much dust to be blown away, would ye leave?"

Image Credits

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod

"I am with you always."

The security of hearing Ophelia speak those words was more than the Bloodskald could return in verbal kind. Knowing he would never have to be alone again...it warmed him from the inside out, giving him an easy sort of relaxation even as they trekked across the strange, glossy water-land that was the Halcyon Flats bidden by a disembodied voice only he heard.

Somehow, Torleik felt he'd experienced stranger things here in Helovia.

But perhaps not so strange a figure as the thing that slowly came more and more into focus as they approached. It looked like a raccoon and...some other creature the warrior had never quite laid eyes on before - and it seemed this was the thing that had called him, as it spoke in much the same voice and half apologized for the 'guide' that had brought them hither. It called him 'cully' and Torleik wasn't sure if this was an insult meant to prick his pride, an insult meant in amusement, or not an insult at all. Confused but curious, the dark one was quiet until a real question was posed, and then the one after it.

This creature cut straight to the quick, didn't he? Casting his eyes to Ophelia, who had less than an hour ago assured him she would always remain with him - something he just now began to really consider, and, to his shame, doubt, Torleik felt the unmooring nudge of uncertainty slide like oil beneath his hooves. Did she truly mean what she'd said? She was a wanderer, a nomad at heart; could he keep her by his side no matter what the future held? Could she crush him like the Moon Goddess had tried?

No. He doubted because he was afraid, and fear had no place here, now. He loved her, and she said she would always be with him. They had created a child. No outside thing could break them apart, and he would be damned if he was the crack that made their foundation crumble because he could not simply let a good thing be without running his mind over all the 'what if's that could ruin them.

No more doubt.

With furrowed brows, he looked back at the creature. "Love does not breed such betrayal," he returned. "If she did the same to me, then she never loved me, and I would have no obligation to suffer her." Thoughts of his mother swam to the surface of his memory, wounded and treated like chaff by his father, yet she stayed so that her son might know his sire. The Bloodskald looked at Phi's belly, knowing that a life they had both created was within. "Though I might not owe her anything then, I would still owe our child the world. And if that meant remaining, I would remain."

Realizing then the utter absurdity of this discussion and the ease with which this creature parted thoughts and confessions from him, he grunted. "This is a strange land with strange happenings, and I do not doubt that you have not simply summoned me to ask whether I would walk away from Ophelia if she betrayed me - which is a useless daydream, as it will not happen." And he believed that. Torleik didn't think for a second that she would betray him, ever. He searched for her eyes, to let her into his thoughts.

'I love you, and I believe you love me as you say you do. And I believe that will keep us together.'

@Mythical Request
@Ophelia
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!