the Rift

[OPEN] A dusty grump
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

Ophelia

Birdsong was a beautiful season with birds and butterflies dancing around the beautiful thistle meadow, and that carried through into the south. Even though her hooves met sand on the ocean, the dunes were shallow and salty grass grew along the borders. It was her favorite taste, surprisingly enough, because it reminded her of the Moonlit Tides where she was born. Those were simpler times in some ways. She and her sister would run along the silvery shores and play, and she fondly remembered those times as they walked toward where she knew the bridge to be.

Sometime back, she had given her key to Gaucho. It didn't seem right to keep it and accidentally lose it or have it stolen, and to be entirely honest, she hadn't intended to come back. But here she was, pregnant and waiting for someone to help them across. If she remembered anything about this herd, it's that they were diligent. Usually there was always someone patrolling, so she took the moment to take a deep breath of salty air and turn to Torleik who looked equally grumpy and dusty.

Phi chuckled and blew thick hair from his face, pressing her whiskered muzzle to his soon after. "The weather is nice, Tor," she said softly. "I am not expecting you to just... suddenly like this, but I grew up on a beach. It's where I was born. There are really nice things about it, and I want to give our child a chance to experience it." Very rarely did Ophelia reveal much about her past. Torleik usually didn't press, and she would let slip a memory now and again.

"Once my sister and I stole a griffin egg and we were chased down the beach for miles. A friend of my father's saved us that time," she said with a chuckle. "I promise once the babe is born, we can go wherever you want. Show him or her whatever you want them to see too. Maybe the snowy shores in the Steppe?" Ophelia offered quietly. She yawned slowly, leaning against him.

"Mmm. I am tired. Love you, Tor." Phi closed her eyes, inhaling his musky scent.

@Torleik

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
Torleik

Birdsong was a beautiful season, true, but what about Tallsun? Here? In sandy, isolated hell? Torleik's mood had increasingly soured as they traveled towards the Dragon's Throat, his dark coat absorbing all of the sun Ophelia white one did not, sweat streaking his sides and foaming where his legs met his torso. This was miserable and he already hated it. He actually didn't know if he could handle this until whatever time Phi felt they could leave, dear gods. Where the Halcyon Flats had a dead, still warmth, this was...almost more cruel.

Since they were on a veritable beach, the air circulated and blew around them in gusts yet somehow never cooled him off. It was like being wrapped in a wet blanket under the noonday sun for him. Perhaps he was exaggerating but...Torleik was not built for this climate at all. He was snow and ice and harsh winters with warm, possibly sometimes hot summers - but the hottest parts never lasted for more than a short time and...there were rains...

Ophelia's voice broke his heat-coma and he glanced at her with a gaze that was probably sharper than he actually intended. "Says the woman with the white coat that does not absorb a single drop of heat," he returned. "Do you see me sweating? I am foaming, Phi. Foaming. I do this when I battle." He exhaled a heavy breath and thought that maybe he could survive this if he became an aquatic horse. If he could live in the water, he would remain cool. Right? Maybe? Still, he listened as his woman talked, telling him of a moment in her childhood and he savored the memory, trying to picture a tiny little Phi and Ktulu getting into mischief. It was impossible to see the woman next to him as anything but an adult. "Somehow I am not surprised you were an ill-behaved child," he teased lightly, trying to retain his sense of humor.

"I grew up on the coast; there was sand, but it was no beach. There was also a forest and mountains to our backs. I like the coast. This beach thing...I am not fond of, love. I admit I may attempt to sway our child, considering you are getting an unfair advantage in molding them by having the babe born in your preferred climate." Again, a bit of poking humor. Maybe if he joked through everything he'd live. He'd keep that strategy in mind. "We're almost there, and then we can rest, my love. I love you, too," he murmured, lipping at one of her soft ears.

@Ophelia
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd
With fire to keep us warm, and tools we made from rocks and bones

As always, Gaucho was patrolling.

A new balance had settled into the throat, and with it, a plethora of new life. There were foals running about (unsurprisingly, one of his own as well), and progress was slowly being made on the church that lay near the Sun God's ever burning fire.

Unlike Torleik, Gaucho had grown up in a climate very similar to this. Although it took months of training when he first arrived to fully acclimatize his body to the additional heat offered by the Dragon's Throat, he had done so successfully. Now he could spar on these sands, play dragonball in the arena, or lounge about in the sun without much sweat glistening against his dark coat. His abundance of fire magic had also aided with his temperance towards heat.

Looking down, the dun and his two companions spied the duo waiting on the opposite border. Immediately he began to descend towards them, angling his ever-burning wings to bring himself on a direct trajectory to where they stood.

Where they stood very clearly together.

Gaucho was not ignorant of their relationship, but then again he felt as though all of his dealings with Ophelia suggested that she wasn't the type to remain in one place for long.

To remain with one man for long.

Maybee hee isssss the rrrrrright mann, Mara hissed into his mind. Gaucho only gave a mental grunt. Similiar comments might have been made of him, could they not? Or Ampere? Yet he had stayed, and for a time, so had she.  Though as he neared the dark and light spots on the sand below, he pushed aside thoughts of Ampere's disappearance, for it wasn't the time to dwell on such things.

Not with such curious arrivals on his borders.

Gaucho landed with a grace ill-befitting a creature of his primitive appearance and bulk. He folded his flaming appendages against his flanks, and moved to where Ophelia and Torleik stood. His great antlered skull dipped slightly in greeting, and his steely-blue gaze took in each of them in turn. Though it did land on Ophelia the longest, taking in her long lens, her gently muscled body beneath her pristine coat and her -

- sides? Where they ... larger? The dun might not have been overly familiar with Ophelia's body (or at least, he would have happily increased the familiarity with which his gaze swept over her), but she had never been fat in the years he had known her.

"Hello." He grunted conversationally (for Gaucho), trying to recall when the last time he saw either of them was. Thinking that perhaps this wasn't a social call, he jumped right to the point. "What brings you to Dragon's Throat?"

Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

Ophelia

Ophelia's gaze swept over his much larger, thicker form and her mousy gray lips curled into a frown. He was sweating, and the bulk of his musculature coupled with his coloring would cause him to be much warmer. Still, here was safer. She felt it somewhere deep in her bones and heard it whispered in her heart. Very few times did she ever have an instinctual gut feeling, but this was one and she knew she had to act on it. "I am sorry. My father was dark in color, but he was much... ah, smaller than you. Not that... you're not... mmmm... you are more muscular than he was." Gracelessly, she stumbled over her words, trying to imply that he was thickly built without calling him fat since he wasn't fat at all.

Phi chuckled then. "I was not quite mischievous, but I would wander very far. That often lead me to trouble. Fortunately the herd in the Tides was diligent. Perhaps that is why I am drawn here at this moment... How many times was I saved by kind strangers?" She racked her memory, perfectly remembering every time throughout her life. A sigh marked the end of her thoughts and she shook her head a little, relaying to him that she loved him. She was grateful he was going along with this choice- albeit with Torleik-level grumpiness.

"You can sway your child in whichever way you want, but you know I am the one who excels at mind games..." She gave an overly dramatic "evil" laugh and then smiled, knowing that he would understand that she was playing with him. Phi leaned into his touch then and nodded, her gaze only pulled away when she watched Gaucho's fiery form descend from graceful flight right before them. Phi was mostly oblivious to his staring and smiled kindly at the stallion. She hoped that they still held a friendship after these years.

It seems they did since he started a complete sentence with a cordial "hello". Was that new? "Greetings, Gaucho." She said gently. "I am with child, and we seek safe haven in the Dragon's Throat. If you need me to help with your spies while here, I would be glad to." Ophelia wasn't the type to demand without offering in return; she never had been. "My armor was stolen and my mind is...unsettled. Besides, I wanted to show Torleik your land; he's never been."

@Torleik

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
Torleik

The sweating, frothing Northman smiled in love when his much lighter, cooler woman stumbled over how to tell him he was a larger man than her father without implying he was a slab of fat. "Thank you for not saying I'm big boned," he teased. "I wish I could have met your father. I...would have liked him to know that you were in good charge with me. That I love you." They continued to walk and talk of her past, a subject she rarely offered on her own, and he let his thoughts wander to a smaller version of her - as he didn't know what she looked like as a filly - scooting off to places she likely should not be. It seemed to fit her nomadic soul, going to the edges of whatever her world was at the time. Gently, he touched his muzzle to an ear when she shook her head at him, having begun to understand her gestures depending on when she made them.

Torleik's face slowly broke out into a grin, his much deeper laugh reverberating out from his ribs at Phi's dramatic reply, immensely amused. "Mmm, I cannot argue with you there. I am but an insect to the raven in that regard." They must have reached the actual Dragon's Throat then because not long after, the large, fiery brute that was Gaucho (with whom Torleik had no real issue - the creature was simply built and bred for war from his sinews to the connections in his mind: a brute) landed in front of them. Phi, for some reason, chose to share that she was rattled - how rarely she did that for him, yet this thing was greeted with such an admission? - and Torleik realized he was a sad, frail man still. He'd told himself no more doubts but here he was insecure and inwardly bleating like a damned lost goat yet again.

It didn't help that, very much to the Bloodskald's chagrin, this beast actually spent time checking out Ophelia. Right in front of him. Now there might have been a problem between them, and if Gaucho had been any less of an indomitable warrior, Torleik might have let his temper, slight possessiveness, and pride get the better of him and control his mouth. He wasn't a fool, however, and was aware that Gaucho would crush him if they were to come to blows. Eyes as tight and frigid as a northern blizzard were utterly unmelted in the face of this flaming beast, and Torleik swallowed his pride as best he could for this introduction.

Ophelia wanted to be here, for the safety of their child. He wouldn't jeopardize that for a... 'He's giving you a fucking appraising once over right in front of me, Phi. This is insulting - and I my hooves are tied; I can say nothing while he visually mounts you,' he growled mentally to his woman, trying to make sure his face didn't sneer. There. He had his moment of anger at the disrespect, and now it could pass. Social boundaries didn't seem to be a thing this giant tank understood. He had to let it go. For Phi. For their child. He inhaled slowly and let it slip out his nostrils, the air taking the frustration with it. "Gaucho," he greeted with a respectful dip of his crown. "Ophelia tells me you are a friend, and that you will offer my family safety here. I would be...most grateful, and would offer my abilities to your herd while we remain here."

That had been diplomatic, yes? Not that he was sure Gaucho even knew the word. But he meant what he said. He was grateful for the option of safety that put Ophelia's mind at ease. The Bloodskald just wished it could come at a cheaper price than once again feeling like every other possibly threatening male around would fuck his woman if they could. It was getting old.

Or maybe he was just a bitch. He was beginning to sourly accept that might be the case.

@Ophelia

@Gaucho
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd
With fire to keep us warm, and tools we made from rocks and bones

The dun listened, oblivious to whatever outward expressions of his inner musings Torleik might have displayed. The stallion might have done nothing, or might have stomped his hooves for all the attention it garnered from Gaucho. Were Gaucho more quick-witted, he might have consoled the stallion, telling him to think of it as a compliment, rather than a slight. Gaucho was honourable, for what that was worth, and would never steal Ophelia, but that he coveted her? One of Helovia's most prized warriors and Sultan of the Throat? And yet she remains with you, Torleik. But alas, Gaucho was not that clever, nor even aware of Torleik's discomfort. Ophelia was a beautiful thing, even in her current state, and the Wildfire's eyes had never been ashamed of appreciating that which he saw.

Gaucho's lips twisted slightly as Ophelia mentioned helping with his spies.  "Who better to teach them, than the only one to ever steal Gaucho?" The dun's amused steely blue gaze roamed to Torleik for a moment, unsure if the stallion knew of the incident he was referring to. "No one beat Gaucho on battlefield." The dun paused, and added thoughtfully, "-yet. But Ophelia not need muscle to beat Gaucho. She the only one to ever succeed."

However as his praise for Ophelia was followed up by her admission that her armour was stolen, the amusement in the dun's eyes faded away completely. That someone would steal from Ophelia was ... strange. That she would be caught so unawares that they would be successful was even more off colour. Mara's steely black gaze looked to Torleik from her position in Gaucho's antlers, offering the silent criticism that the dun barred himself from expressing, and you let this happen?

Instead, since diplomacy seemed to be coming in spades today, Gaucho instead said, "That not happen while you here."

His gaze shifted fully to Torleik now, and his antlered skull bobbed. He and Ophelia had been friends for many and many seasons now, and all it took was him trying to murder her a few times - once knowingly, once not. How times had changed. "Throat glad to have you. Come - Gaucho take you across bridge and then find you keys of your own."

Deep inside, the dun felt a warm flush of excitement (and perhaps something akin to pride) begin to ignite. How many times had the words, stay here, lingered on his lips during Ophelia's visits to the sands? How many times had he danced around the subject of asking her to stay? And now here she was, asking for herself. Admittedly, Torleik had never been around when Gaucho envisioned this scenerio, but hadn't Ophelia spoken of the stallion when last she was here? How her heart was his? Their love - and their budding child - did not damper the Wildfire's happiness that she was here. Like the Sun God, Gaucho could settle for having her close, if he could not have her.

Casting a look towards the fiery bridge, Gaucho turned his gaze singularly back to Ophelia. "Sun God will be glad to have you here." He said softly with a smile.

We can end here if you like? Or keep going, WHATEVER :D

@Ophelia

Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.