the Rift

Some fight, some bleed | open

Ascendancy Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

ASCENDANCY
war does not determine who is right — only who is left

Chaos. In unfurled with great imperativeness all around him. It was difficult to focus his mentations on the task at hand when so much was occurrent in the world before him in that one prolonged instant: the overpowering aroma of smoke dense in the air whilst the auditory sensation of metal wrought blades colliding rang throughout it, clashing fiercely against his eardrum; the relentless thunder of hooves striking the soil and the panicked trumpeting of horses as they fell to the cold ground, never to rise again; the maverick movements of the rider atop his broad back and the tug of the reins against the coldness of the bit that violated his mouth; the utterances of tempestuous voices, piercing the air with their enraged vocalisms; the never ending chorus of nonresonant metallic armor as their sleek, argent contours clanked together. But despite this he was ever collected, executing the duty that was mandatory of him with miraculous composure.

He had been trained for this moment his entire life, instructed to be calm when it seemed an impossible task. Truthfully, his entire being screamed to run, flee the pandemonium that encompassed him, but he forced himself to stay. After all, it was natural equine instinct to take flight at the first sign of peril, but there was nothing natural about horses involved in human warfare, and therefore nothing about his life had ever been natural.

Quite suddenly, the cold sensation of a blade constituted upon his skin. Promptly then a shooting pain as the acute, piercing edge separated the delicate fibers of his hide then prevailed across the side of his girth and the muscular realm of his shoulder, exposing the corpuscle rich plasma that coursed through the capillaries in his flesh. Intense pain shot through the nerves. His armored head jerked backward abruptly in reception to the affliction, followed swiftly and with little hesitance by his forelegs and soon the entire prow of his body was suspended in the air. Head thrashing wildly, he pawed the sky with dished hooves, threatening to tear a hole in its gloomy, cloud-veiled conformations as he rose continuously and slightly favored the dexral region of his physique. The cincture of the saddle had been instantaneously slashed, and as the obsidian brute reared, gravity forced his passenger to plummet to the ground. Weight proceeded to transfer upward, and as the knight's fingers slipped from the reins, the stallion's balance inevitably faltered, and he too succumbed to the undeniable whims of gravity. A panic-stricken whinny burst from his ragged lips in distress just before he struck the ground.

Shock. It polluted his mind. A burning pain teemed around the fresh wound as he hoisted his head from the dirt, dark eyes urgently absorbing his surroundings. His rider desperately attempted to get to his feet, hands reaching pressingly for flimsy reins. Ascendancy eventually ascended and regained his poise after many failed attempts to stand, thrashing his head violently, the whites of his eyes clearly evident, and composed a few half-rears as the human finally grasped the flailing reins within the palm of his hand. He raised his arms into the air and sounded his voice as if trying to soothe the stallion. The endeavor was in vain. The beast's vexatious spirit could not be quelled. Not then. The man was knocked off his feet by the aimless, frantic wanderings of a loose horse as it galloped past, unintentionally striking him in the shoulder and dealing a hefty blow. In response, Ascendancy took to his heels, viciously eating up the ground with long, sweeping strides. He wasn't sure where he was going. All he knew was that he was getting out of there, away from that place.

Adrenaline. It coursed like ice water through his veins. He could but scantily feel the wounds that marred his ebony hide as he galloped, powerful limbs churning like the wheels of a runaway locomotive - through the blinding flashes and the deafening eruptions of explosives; through the flames that licked the earth, consuming everything in its igneous path. Smoke funneled from his trembling nostrils, for the air was cool as night transcended upon the world despite the ruthless heat of the day. The gaping lesion that adorned his barrel seeped with thick cerise fluid, but the pain was only a morsel. The true damage that had been done could not be foretold. The tribulation was numbed by epinephrine. He wasn't concerned about that, though. His thoughts were of escape and survival: making it out of that hell hole with his life still intact.

In the midst of the dark sky hung the moon from the scintillating stars which surrounded it. It was burning brightly - a full circle, guiding a lost warrior through the darkness of the night. His muscles rolled and rippled, playing an almost serene melody beneath his shadowy hide. His legs bent and flexed like rods of hot metal under his tattered body, his powerful haunches propelling himself easily across the terrain. Steadily he gained his composure, but he had covered a great distance. Decelerating his pace, he looked around. Where was he? He was lost, that much was certain. "Fuck!" He exclaimed to himself, scanning the area for any sign of another life form that might have been in the vicinity. A fleeting feeling of helplessness washed over him, but he quickly thrust it aside. Now was no time for such thoughts. He needed to focus on finding his way home, though it appeared he would have to spend this night in solitude, vulnerable, in a land he was in no way familiar with. His senses were going haywire, sharpened slightly due to his anxiety. He could smell other equines in the distance, their fragrances faint, but identifiable. It was likely they were no where close to him.

Or maybe he was mistaken.

His ears shot forward, erect upon the summit of his head as the dissonance of a snapping twig caused him to freeze where he stood. There was another being lurking in the shadows. Muscles lay tense beneath jet black skin as his breathing became slightly more arduous, the scent of another suddenly growing very distinct as it danced through his flared nostrils. "Who's there? Reveal yourself." He demanded, his raspy voice booming toward the stranger and shattering the eerie silence that washed over the Threshold.

Torasin Posts: 132
Deceased
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 8
imi
[Image: tortable.png]
Kiba flew on ahead. The skinny little brown dived and soared around the trees, rustling leaves and cracking branches as he did so. He'd spotted his prey low and crouched in the bushes, it's seemingly secure hiding place about to be violated by an overly excited flying reptile. Wings folded in as he shot down through the trees like a bullet, unfurling the killer claws in time to sever the life of his prey. Thoroughly pleased with himself, Kiba was about to enjoy his prize until a newcomer entered his senses. In a combination of alarm and annoyance from having to leave his food, the dragon took to the air again and went to find Torasin.

The paint hadn't been too far away, grazing in an open bit of grass and allowing his companion time to hunt. The sound of roots being ripped from the ground, a familiar scent and eventually those same known thoughts brought Kiba into land on Tor's rump. He hopped along his back until finally reaching his neck to tug at the pale mane, alarm pouring out from the brown to his bonded. Raising his head sharply, Torasin watched as Kiba took to the skies again and motioned for him to follow. Lurching into a brisk canter, both equine and dragon headed towards the newcomer.

Torasin finally caught up to where the black stallion was, his buttery legs dug deep into the ground as he came to a halt. Blooded claws from a recent hunting trip snatched onto a nearby branch, Kiba sat in an overhanging tree to watch. Soft green eyes took in the sight of the stallion, what is... On his face?! He snorted at the sight of the foreign object, tail thrashing between his legs. Torasin roamed his sight over the rest of the stallion, noting wounds and... It's on his legs too! Bulging eyes did another once over, this time focusing on the 'horn' he has a horn... But he is not a unicorn! He is like me! What an intriguing fellow!

Tor moved forwards to greet him, taking note to be cautious and not to frighten or look like a threat. "Hello sir! Please calm down, you are wounded and need shelter. If you are looking for a new home please reside as long as you will in these lands" the formal, kind vocals rang out to the ebony one. Concern riddled into his face, even if he was foreign of the land he could not let such a wounded animal go without shelter. Yet he was an outcast and could offer no secure land to him, Torasin would do all he could for this animal.

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks
I could not be sure what compelled me to venture off once more, to visit the Threshold and try introducing another stranger into this land. In truth, I believe I enjoyed the action. Despite how I might act, I do enjoy meeting new people. They are full of stories and knowledge, full of mystery and experience, and I love to hear of it. It's like a drug, knowledge, I simply cannot get enough. In fact, I've tried some drugs, and knowledge is far better than any drug I have ever encountered. Knowledge is an addiction that I cannot kick.

My moon-kissed form meandered through the trees, weaving around pines and ducking under low hanging branches with fluidity and ease. Eyes wandered, but my ears stood erect and curious upon my cranium, and my nostrils were flared wide, seeking the aroma of strangers or predators, the tangy scent of foreign bodies. A sound caught my attention, the rustle of leaves; I turned towards its source direction, moving left and stepping over brush and bramble. The oppressive heat that permeated Helovia was fortunately less in the Threshold, although it still forced me to stay close to the trees, shrouded by the pleasant cool of shadow. The rustling continued, moving slowly, still far away and difficult to pinpoint. Sadly the stranger's scent was still far from my senses, as the still air carried little by way of aroma in its grip; pinpointing the location of the noise would be more challenging than normal.

Or not. A deep voice reverberated through the woods, sound waves bouncing off of trees and into my ears. Despite the echoes of the forest, it was easy to find the direction from which the sound came, and I set off towards it with more determination in my stride than previous. Something was concerning, something about the desperate intensity of the cry. A quick pace carried me closer to its source, close enough to finally get a whiff of smell. Blood. I frowned, dark eyes worried at the tangy aroma. Round a corner, through a tree - two figures, one familiar and one not. Torasin stood before a great, armored black horse, speaking in tones as polite as ever. The obsidian stallion was clearly the source of the blood, though, for it pooled on his side from a gaping wound. I caught the tail end of Torasin's speech, about homes, and snorted, stepping forward into eyesight of the two males. This was no time for formalities.

"We need to get him to a healer," I spoke in low, deep tones, keeping my voice calm. "Or else he is liable to die." The comment was directed towards Torasin, but my voice included the stranger - it was his body, after all. But I'd be damned if I let him bleed to death in the wilds. "Between the two of us, we can get him there easily. The Foothills and the Throat both have medics, and our friends; which do you think is closer?" I turned to Torasin now. It did not matter our differences of the past; we would work together now. I needed his help.

Unregistered

ASCENDANCY

Tensions were on high alert as the stranger withdrew themselves from the shadows and into his line of sight. Darkness now fully cascaded over the realm, the full moon casting a silver veil across the landscape and leaching color from everything it touched. Liquid moonlight illuminated the aureate stallion's glossy pelage just enough for Ascendancy to make out his facial features as well as the amber coloration of his fur. But as dark irises scanned the stallion's silhouette he was perturbed by the vibrant gleam of his emerald optics. Never before had he seen such a spectacle. He knew that equines did, on occasion, have light blue eyes and sometimes ones with irises emblazoned the color of light amber, but for him this was certainly a first.

Long, unruly tail swatted actively at his flanks while Ascendancy scrutinized the palomino as words fell from his lips. Calm down? Was he being unreasonably on edge considering the actions leading up to that moment? The stallion before him had no idea. A deep, gravelly snort erupted from spacious nostrils and hastened into the air with a thin, wispy puff of steam. His aft leg pulled taut, hoisting off the ground for a brief moment only to come crashing down in a forceful manner against the arid earth below. He chose to ignore his previous lyrics as he parted his charcoal kissers, allowing words to be formed and leaving very little idle time to separate Torasin's speech and his own vocalisms. "Where am I?" His voice was firm, though not demanding. He knew this wanderer desired only to help him (or at least that's how it appeared) and so it would likely prove useful and assistive to his own well-being to display some amount of cordiality toward him.

A mare arrived then, black in color, though some extent of white flecked the upper part her haunches. Though his eyesight was growing indistinct by the instant, he could still manage to make out that much. Lobed ears percolated atop the pinnacle of his head as her feminine voice tickled his eardrums. She seemed to possess a better understanding of the severity of his wounds, mentioning something about a healer, which sounded quite appealing to him at the moment. His dark hide crawled with the inexorable stinging received from the countless scrapes that vitiated his pelt. Blood adorned his fur in large proportions, the dim light making the crimson liquid glisten an eerie shade of diluted russet as the moisture was slowly removed. The worst of them all was without a doubt the abrasion on his girth, which ached brutally even with the smallest of motion. The blood originating from it leaked down his leg, and the pungent aroma was unpleasant as he inspired another breath of air into his body.

Though he was hesitant to admit it, even to himself, it wasn't without some amount of wisdom that she stated that his very life threatened to depart from his body if the laceration was not tended to. Of course he knew this from witnessing it first hand. Many times had he seen the devastating affects the blade could deliver to the equine and human body alike. Being a horse of war, gashes and gaping wounds were not a foreign domain to him. Blood was a precious fluid, and when one was relinquished of it in an overabundance, it did not affect the body kindly in any shape or form. In fact, the amount which had been confiscated from his injury was beginning to take a toll on Ascendancy's consciousness. He felt weaker; vertiginous, despite standing rather statuesque in the presence of the equines before him - or trying to at least. His armor suddenly felt tremendously more heavy on his face, weighing it down to an uncomfortable extent.

Legs that once were strong and fortified began to tremble beneath his weight, and soon he conceded to their wishes. Outstretching one leg, he shakily lowered the other to the cool earth, then replicated the act with the opposite limb, resting upon sore, overutilized knees. Breathing was laborious, deep chest heaving drastically as his lungs implored for oxygen. His body had been pushed to its extent, his muscles sore, tendons and ligaments tender and overburdened. He hadn't realized any of that, not until now, as the adrenaline retreated from his system and was fleetly substituted with fatigue and weariness.

Exhaustion washed over his body like a violent ocean wave, splashing up in the stallion's face about as subtlely as a bucket of ice water. Eyelids suddenly grew very heavy, menacing to shut closed and allow sleep to creep forth, but he fought off the fatigue as best he could, for he knew if he allowed slumber to seize his consciousness odds are his eyes would never again open to the world.

Torasin Posts: 132
Deceased
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 8
imi
[Image: tortable.png]
Emerald eyes were quickly examining the stallion, noting scars and a rather large injury to his right barrel that explained the pool of blood. What perplexed Torasin the most was what had created such an injury, it was in the most unusual place for it just to be an accident. The stallion asked about his whereabouts to which Torasin was about to reply until Kiba cried out from his perch.

The brown then flew down and landed on his bonded's back. A little scaly head nodded towards the trees and Torasin caught the familiar scent of Rishima. Soon enough, Mirage's sister emerged from the trees and was quickly in charge of the situation. The paint blinked at how efficient she was and quickly threw himself into action, berating himself for not acting sooner. First he briskly trotted over to the armoured one as he began lowering himself to the ground, eyes worried that if he went to far they wouldn't get him back up. Tor shifted his golden body to take on some of Ascendancy's weight, eyes flickering to Rishima for help. "Foothills. It's closer than the Throat is" he replied simply.

Torasin looked at Kiba, who was now hovering above the trio fly on infront and check on the land terrain. Kiba dipped his head to say he understood. Tor turned to Rishima then "Kiba will scout out the route that is most direct and not rough on going. He should be able to lead us on the safest road for our injured friend here to the Foothills to be healed." With an injury like that, any form of rough terrain could mean death for him. The more he moved the more he lost blood and wasting time ambling across rocky ground wasn't going to help. "Hang on a little longer sir. We need you on your feet so your injuries can be healed"

Maybe between the two of them it was going to be easy, but the stallion had to stay on his feet to get there quickly.

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks
The strength was leaving our wounded quarry, and I watched in alarm as he dropped to one knee, moving to stand beside him even as his other leg bent, sending his mass towards the ground. Torasin pressed his weight against the stallion's side, and I followed suit, shivering as the cold of metal and the heat of spilled blood created a rich combination of unpleasant sensation that made my flesh crawl. It was not important, though. Bringing this brute to safety was the only thing of importance, now. "Get up," I snapped, bending my forelegs, shoving my shoulder under his elbow to better help him stand.

Torasin decided that the Foothills were closer than the Throat, and I grunted in assent. I looked up at the stranger, and with alarm realized that his eyes were closing, the effort to stay awake beginning to overcome him. I had seen this before. He could not sleep. "Hey!" Desperation made my voice sharp, alarm creeping into my tone and causing me to yell. I took a breath. I could not panic now, he needed me. "Hey," I said again, calmer now, but my voice was still firm. "You need to stay awake for us," I instructed, nipping his neck for emphasis. "Keep your eyes open. Tell us about yourself - what is your name? Where do you come from?"

I could hear Torasin speaking from the other side of the stallion. I assumed Kiba was the paint's dragon, who I had registered but not acknowledged when I entered the scene. I put that knowledge into storage and tucked it away. I will admit that I was slightly taken aback at the golden male's quick thinking; I had expected more formality. Maybe Mirage was onto something... Oh, wait, there it was again. Despite the gravity of the situation, I cracked a wry smile at Torasin's ever-charming nature. He had a point though. The wounded stud needed to stand up, and keep talking. I pressed against him again, the blood from his fresh wound leaking onto my own midnight hide, its rich stench stinging my nostrils. Sweat beaded upon my face, the heavy heat making this task even more difficult than anticipated.

It did not matter.

"Keep talking. Tell me about your family." He needed to stay awake, and distracted. Torasin and I could save him, but we needed his help to do so.

Unregistered

ASCENDANCY

"Ascendancy." The raspy, masculine pitch of his voice lacked its usually luster as the name poured like gravel from ragged lips. "I am a warrior of Aretha." Or "was" would be more accurate now, he supposed. He had fled in the face of terror, when throughout his entire life he had been taught to be steadfast and unwavering. He yearned to go back to his homeland, to his brothers, to his fellow warriors, but in his heart he knew he may never again be able to. He dreaded to know what they would have to say of his cowardice if he were ever to speak of his plight, and decided being assumed dead was far more appealing than any such fate.

Perhaps this was the beginning of a whole new chapter in his life.

His thoughts were disrupted by a sudden aching pain that deluged his mind followed swiftly by profound vertigo. For a moment his vision was blurred, obscured by a haze of blackness and then confusion. He recovered as far as his body would allow, and continued. The lyrics of the mare's voice were difficult to discern, but he eventually managed to do so, his reply coming delayed and with hesitation as so much plagued his thoughts it was hard to articulate the words. Still, he understood the importance; recognized the mare's intentions, and therefore complied. He considered his answer. What real family did he have?

His family was his fellow warriors. There was his mother and his father, of course; his blood brother, Adalricus, though they were hardly close. He had foals, somewhere, though many of them were unknown to him as pathetic it may sound. Thrystan. "I have a brother: Thrystan." It wasn't entirely honest. In a biological sense, he would be lying, but did that even matter now? In the sense of comradery, it was the indelible truth. Thrystan was his closest friend, and might as well have been his brother. He was closer to him than he ever was to Adalricus.

"Where am I?" He asked again, the urgency in his voice growing more intense. He wanted to know, even in this desperate hour. His movements were diffident, each stride occupied with a drastic limp. 'Where are we going?" The support of the two at his sides released an immense burden, but it still required quite a bit of energy just to speak in an intelligible manner. Had they not arrived when they did, he would likely be lying in the dirt, life slowly oozing from his hemorrhaging anatomy. He was aware of this fact, and although it was a mare, he undeniably owed her, both of them actually, whatever the debt may be. He would worry about it later, of course.