the Rift

[PRIVATE] Between a rock...

Calder Posts: 23
Absent Abyss atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1hh :: 6 (Birdsong) HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Kiki
C A L D E R

He took a moment to subtly appraise the mare, as if to make sure the wee thing was still in one piece.  He’d been on Edge for a number of reasons, so was pleased when he found her to be in working order.  Calder was concerned, however, when he realized that all of her soft edges had been sharpened by the bitter, everlasting winter.  Guilt bloomed hot and fast in his chest.  He had been the one that had brought her this far north, promising sanctuary.  He just hoped that perhaps Elspeth had found something other than hardship here amongst the mountains.  He wasn’t sure he’d be able to forgive himself if he had unknowingly brought the lass to danger. 

He’d been expecting something from the little spitfire, but he’d never been compared to a goat before.  “Nearly,” he said, easily, “But the goats climb verra well up a sheer rock face.  I dinna think I’ll be tryin’ that anytime soon.” He said with a smirk, meeting her zest with his own brand of humor.  

Little did Elspeth know that Calder had many of the same doubts.  He was a passionate beast, to be sure, but not one to so such disrespect in the face of others.  God knows his pa would have given him a thrashing if he’d ever spoken out so rudely at a meeting of the elders.  He probably wouldn’t even give him a thrashing.  He’d have just been disappointed in him and sent him away to his mother which would have been even more shameful.  Though he had found some camaraderie with the wee candy man responsible for crafting the things for the herd, he couldn’t help but feel like an outsider.  He knew he bore much of the fault in that.  He had foolishly assumed he would find a place here similar to the home he had lost.  He found when things fell short of his expectations, his first inclination was to withdraw.  It was so unlike him, and he bore a fair amount of resentment towards his own behavior as a result. He needed to do better, for both his own sake and make even for Elspeth’s too.  He had promised her something akin to a family.  Who was he to make those promises to her or to anyone if he couldn’t even engage with those in his own damn herd?

But today wasn’t a day for politics.  Today was just about the wee lass and the gift he’d stashed away for her.  His voice lowered slightly and his expression became more serious - concerned even when she looked away.  “Ye need not freeze to death at night, lass.  I ken the caves can be drafty.”  It was a pseudo-invitation and a fact, because Calder’s damn sense of honor kept him from being too forward.  But it did provide him a convenient segway. “But I have just the thing for ye. Follow me,” he said, with the mirth returning to his features and gesturing towards the boulders where he’d stashed the cloak. He trotted over to the giant stones before turning back to Elspeth (to ensure she hadn’t run away, perhaps screaming) and struggled to suppress his excitement.  

With little fanfare he plunged his antlered skull in the crevice between the boulders and emerged with a folded piece of cloth between his lips.  He was pleased to see it was a good match for the patch of cloth the lass wore woven in her tail.  He shook it out and draped the cloak on the smaller of the two boulders so it was well within her reach and gestured to the expanse of plaid. “To keep ye warm when I can’t,” he said, simply, suddenly feeling somewhat insecure and wondering how the lass would react to the gift. 

@Elspeth
Please tag Calder in all posts.
Force & magic are permitted but please check before inflicting severe and/or permanent damage.
Pixel by Sourful

Messages In This Thread
Between a rock... - by Calder - 05-30-2016, 10:35 PM
RE: Between a rock... - by Elspeth - 05-31-2016, 06:45 PM
RE: Between a rock... - by Calder - 07-28-2016, 10:52 PM
RE: Between a rock... - by Elspeth - 07-31-2016, 09:31 PM