the Rift

[OPEN] come fly with me

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah

we heal with love

Alright, enough was enough. Alysanne had been skirting by most of her life with less than a dozen attempts at flying - several of which had ended catastrophically. But this was her tenth spring now and it was time. At least it was time to make one last valiant effort at learning before giving up and just remaining earth-bound for the rest of her life. It wasn’t so bad down here, anyway. She was graceful on the ground like she had never been in the air - after years in the Edge she was sure she could pick her way over every root and rock in the dark. And those without wings seemed to do just fine walking around everywhere and she never complained about the lengthy treks when she wanted to travel south or away from the Edge.

She knew she could have gone to Iona and, with a few quick comments and the possibility of a lecture, the aging twins would have gone about the process of learning how to fly.

But Iona suspecting that her sister hadn’t flown in years and Alysanne confirming that suspicion were two very different things. So, in the end, she thought she would at least get a little practice in on her own. And maybe, if she happened to remember the lessons from when she was a foal, she could surprise Iona by showing up at the Edge by way of the cliffs.

The expression on her twin’s face was going to be worth it.

Hemlock had long been teasing Alysanne about her inability to fly - longing to soar in the skies with her. Between her inexperience and his small stature they certainly weren’t a bonded pair meant for cutting through clouds and racing across the skies of Helovia - but with a little practice a nice easy flight together over the forests would be nice. He wanted Aly to feel how wonderful it was to fly, to show her some of the world that was his own.

In the golden hours of the afternoon, the pair had scoped out an empty part of the Thistle Meadow and set about the process.

Only… they weren’t sure where to start.

“This is ridiculous, Hem!” Alysanne snorted as she stretched out her wings for the fifth time without moving her body, as though the cool breeze would lift her up without any effort. “I feel like an idiot.”

Have to try first. No complaining before even try. Hemlock chided her, fluttering down and pulling on a strand of her mane with his small beak.

She tried to remember what other pegasi did before they took off. Perhaps a bit of a run? Looking doubtfully at her companion, who made flying look so easy, she finally moved - picking up a trot and then a canter all while flapping her wings about most ungracefully.

alysanne & hemlock

image credits

for @Lyanna :D let's teach Aly how to fly!
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Lyanna the Windswept Posts: 313
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 11 | dam: 4.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 5 years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

She probably wouldn’t have stopped here, if the form on the ground hadn’t been so familiar. Not because she disliked the meadow for any particular reason, but rather, because she’s never actually felt the urge to explore around here. In fact, Lyanna hasn’t actually stepped hoof in the Thistle Meadow, though she’s heard of it, flown over it enough. If she’s being really honest, most of her experience with Helovia has been from the sky.

She soars over the land, close enough to see what’s going on below her, far enough away to wallow in her own self-pity. As soon as her feet touch the ground, she’s back to pretending otherwise, back to pretending she’s perfectly fine. Trying not so much to fool others as herself. But here’s the rub in that plan. She’s not fine. How is she supposed to be fine? Her family was murdered, her life was ripped away from her, and she can’t even find one horse in this godforsaken place to call a friend.

No, Lyanna. Knock it off. This place is far from that terrible. Most of the horses seemed kind enough, Ichab was a cute little thing and something of a friend. Apollo. She didn’t know if she’d see him again, but there was always that hope. Good things, Lyanna. They exist.

When the black and white form of Alysanne comes into view, she’s actually glad. She needs a distraction, needs to get out of her own head. It’s a spiral in there, and she’s very good at ignoring it just so long as she keeps busy. So keep busy. Lyanna lands not all that far away, tucking her wings to her side and pausing for a moment as Alysanne moves into a trot, and then a canter.

Lyanna had just missed the half-spoken conversation between Aly and Hemlock, not that that would have explained anything if she’d heard it. She waits a moment longer before rather purposefully nickering a greeting, trying not to be a creepy little spy sitting off in the corner. Not that she was hiding in the middle of a meadow, but still. “Aly!” she calls, friendly as always and with a smile on her face. A smile in greeting, not a laugh at the mare’s antics. Is she trying to fly?

Lyanna takes a few more steps forward and then stops again, tilting her head just slightly. “I hope you don’t mind my asking, but are you trying to fly?” She would have assumed that Alysanne knew how. She assumed anyone with wings knew how to fly. It’s an amazing thing, soaring above everyone else, the wind in her hair and beneath her wings. But then again, Lyanna used to call that wind to her like a friend. Now, flying was the closet she could get to being herself.  

watch how i soar.

lyanna

@Alysanne

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Kiki

we heal with love

As soon as she saw someone approaching Alysanne skidded to a halt, feeling her entire body feeling hot with embarrassment as she turned towards the sound of a familiar voice. She couldn’t decide whether it was worse or better that a fellow pegasus caught her early attempts as she tried to figure out just what Lyanna had just witnessed. “Hello Lyanna!” Her voice was a little too high to be casual, coming out almost strangled. Hemlock chuckled through their bond, the baritone of his voice echoing in Alysanne’s mind as he and flew about nearby, keeping an eye on the two mares after hooting a short hello to Lyanna. Alysanne quickly folded her wings towards her sides again, all previous thoughts of how impressive this was going to be quickly evaporating.

As well as any hopes that her fellow herd member hadn’t seen her running about like a fool!

Although the words she spoke weren’t laced with any unkindness, Alysanne visibly drooped at the question. “Oh… well yes. It’s been a couple years since I tried and… I think I’ve forgotten how to do it.” She shifted her wings uncomfortably and her green eyes looked away for a moment. She was fairly certain that she was old enough to be Lyanna’s dam (potentially even grand-dam) and here she was, a pegasus that didn’t fly.

When she had first arrived in Helovia it wasn’t so much that she couldn’t fly - just that she didn’t. And in those early days she had flown around from the Edge to this very meadow occasionally.

But now, well, it had been so long that she couldn’t be certain she actually could anymore.

After that brief glance away, she looked back to her friend with a small smile. “Embarrassing, isn’t it?”

alysanne & hemlock

image credits

@Lyanna <3
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

Alysanne comes skidding to a halt, her greeting high pitched, and Lyanna’s quickly thinking she’s just managed to be in the way again. Not that she knows for sure, but it seems highly likely Alysanne wasn’t looking for company, and probably definitely not from Lyanna. But too late now. She’s here. Like always, she here, in the wrong spot at the wrong time.

She’s actually quite thankfully for the owl’s hoot above their heads. It gives her a moment to look up and smile, banishing the more unwanted thoughts, before turning her attention back to Aly. Her smile is easy, and though Alysanne may be embrassed, Lyanna really doesn’t see the need to be. There’s always something to learn, and though Lyanna wouldn’t have guessed that flying was something an older Pegasus needed to learn, in the end, it only mattered that she was trying to learn.

And for once, in a very rare turn of events in Helovia, Lyanna can actually be useful. She can’t tell someone much about the different lands (only what they look like from the sky), and she can’t tell someone which herbs can be found where, or who most of the population of the Edge (let alone Helovia) even is. But she can fly. She can teach someone else to fly.

“It comes back as easily as breathing,” she says with a reassuring smiling. Not that she’s ever experienced what Aly is going through (her only loss was the ability to control the wind beneath her wings, quite literally). But they were both born to fly, just as they were born to walk and run and live. “No, not embarrassing. But I think you’ve been wasting a lot of time talking.” She chuckles slightly, before angling herself so she’s facing slightly away from Aly. Enough that she has a clear place to take off, and not so much that she turns her back.

“Think up, more than forward.” She offers, extending her teal and white wings and letting them stretch from her sides. She takes a few trot steps forward before moving into a canter. And then, there’s still only a few more steps before she jumps, aiming over some invisible barrier in front of her. It’s only then that her wings move, a powerful sweep downward that pushes her from the ground. A few more, and she’s several feet in the air, dipping and turning around to face Alysanne. Waiting to see if her friend (the closest thing she has to a friend here, anyway, and there’s so little she knows of the other black and white mare) would join here. 

watch how i soar.

lyanna

@Alysanne

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

we heal with love

Although privately Alysanne still insisted that it was embarassing for a full-grown pegasus to have trouble flying, she appreciated the black and teal mare’s kindness regarding the matter and her smile grew genuine in light of it and she even joined in with her own light laugh at the teasing. “You caught me!” It was true! The longer she talked or thought about it, the less time she would spend actually trying.

Her thanks that it was this new friend of hers that found her doubled over when Lyanna seemed to move without hesitation into the role of teacher, instructing Aly that it was more about moving upward than how fast she could move along the ground.

The way Lyanna moved certainly made it seem easy and Hemlock followed her, hooting twice with delight and encouraging Aly to follow them as well. She hesitated, her fears rising in her throat and threatening to choke her. Surely she could do this, right? After all she had lived through, learning how to fly should really be the least of her fears and worries.

With a deep, steadying breath she followed Lyanna’s example - picking up a canter as she extended her wings and then thrusting them down in a powerful stroke, which - to her surprise - worked! She lifted off of the earth a few feet and flapped her wings again and rose a few more. A delighted whinny escaped her at this progress.

Only, her surprise at the success quickly caused her to falter and she dropped back to the ground heavily, moving forward a few steps with the momentum and using her outstretched wings as balances to keep her upright. “I guess I’m not too old to learn new tricks after all!” She joked with a laugh, her legs trembling slightly with the impact of her fall but also from the excitement. It was such a small victory, but more than she had been able to get on her own. “Landings were always the worst part.” She walked a few steps to get the jitters out of her legs, not thinking the sting was worth pulling out magic to heal - it’d wear off soon.

“Do you always canter a bit before hand?” She asked curiously, hoping Lyanna wouldn’t mind the questions, as she prepared to give it another shot. Now that she was actually trying it herself, she couldn’t remember actually watching another pegasus take off. Could you learn to do it from a stand still or was there simply not enough force there to help?

This time when Alysanne tried, she was prepared for that weightless sensation and though her stomach was doing flips in her gut she managed to stay in the air for a few moments longer the second time before landing hard once more.

alysanne & hemlock

image credits

@Lyanna
made by the lovely tamme

Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

Lyanna grins as Hemlock joins her, hooting in the air. It must be exciting for him, she thinks, to be able to fly with his bonded. He seems to enjoy the air in the same way Lyanna does, and she can only imagine that he wants to share that joy. Particularly given the bond between them – what joy that would be when experienced two-fold. She can only imagine, and she can of course only speculate, but she grins at the owl anyway. After all, she always enjoys company when flying.

Lyanna laughs – a bell-like sound filled with delight – at the whinny that escape Aly’s lips as she takes the air. She’d clap, if she could, but instead she gives an excited little whoop! sound. It doesn’t last long, but that doesn’t matter. It was a start. After all, it had taken Lyanna some time to master flying as well, and she’d had the power of the wind at her back. Though, at the time, she’d been rather inept at controlling the wind then too.

It’d been rather disastrous, honestly, those first couple of flights. She’d blown down a handful of trees, sent herself careening into another tree (broke a branch off the tree and one of her ribs), and sent more than a handful of horses fleeing. Possibly, she should have learned to control the wind separately from learning to fly, but her tutors decided to just throw her straight into it. She learned, and pretty quickly, after that broken rib.

She smiles, coming back to the present, as Aly speaks. “Nope, seems you aren’t.” The other mare continues, mentioning lands. Lyanna nods, a sort of ‘I’ll be back’ nod, and then takes off a little higher in the sky, putting some space between her and Aly before looping back toward her. “Legs down, wings up as you come in,” she says, loud enough for Aly to hear. She lets her legs hang some, using the drag created to slow herself down. She angles her wings up, creating more drag to slow herself down while still keeping herself in the air.

As she comes closer to the ground, she tucks her legs again slightly, tipping the front of her wings up slightly so she finally drops the last distance to the ground. “Right before you land, bend your knees to absorb the shock, and tip the front of your wings up so the air stops flowing.” She tips her weight back just a bit, rear feet hitting just a second before her front feet touch down as well. She flaps her wings just slightly, taking a step forward to steady herself, before tucking her wings back to her side. “It helps to practice when you have some runway room, so you figure out the timing.”

She takes a few more steps forward, wings at her side now, closing the remaining distance between herself and Aly. “Cantering makes it a easier, so if I can, I usually do. But as you get more comfortable, it’s not entirely necessary. Maybe just a step or two, or a really good jump.” She didn’t even need that once. It was strange, when she first came here, learning to fly without the power of the wind. But it’d come somewhat easily, at least. Still, she used to just call the wind and it would pick her right up. It had been such an amazing feeling. One she’d always miss.

Aly tries again, and Lyanna stays on the ground watching time time. The other mare stays in the air a bit longer, and Lyanna grins, glad to see how quickly her friend is progressing. And glad, in truth, that she’d actually done some useful around here. Flying was one of the few things she could still do. “You’ll be soaring around here in no time!” 

watch how i soar.

lyanna

@Alysanne

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

we heal with love

As Lyanna demonstrated the proper way to land - one that looked much easier on the legs and joints - Alysanne watched intently, attempting to memorize the way the legs and wings should be moving. It certainly looked fairly easy when someone else was doing it, but it felt so awkward when she tried! But her friend was taking the time to show her what to do and talk it out with her and Aly had no intention of wasting such a gift.

When they’re standing on the earth near each other, Aly’s expression is effortlessly bright - an achievement of itself - and she’s feeling lighter for the company. In a few moments, she has gone from dreading anyone finding out about her little hobby and delighting in the fact that it was Lyanna who came across her. Hemlock was unwilling to land just yet but flew in lazy circles around the two mares, waiting for one (or both!) of them to take to the air again.

Despite her newfound exuberance, the painted pegasus couldn’t help but delay taking flight just a moment or two longer while she spoke some more. “You look so beautiful when you fly! Normally I feel as though I’m about as suited to flying as a rock.” But even a rock could tumble gracefully down a hill or slope every once in awhile! “I always skipped out on lessons when I was young, preferring to learn about the plants and trees from my father while Iona took to the skies with our mother.” Nothing more than excuses she thought to herself but it was true all the same and the preference had stuck with the twins as they had aged, past when they had left their parents to start their own lives. There was no stirring in Alysanne’s heart to leap off the cliffs and feel the drafts beneath her wings or to chase the clouds. Her heart was earth-bound, and even as she sought to learn she doubted she would use her wings much more often.

Though they would be rather handy in helping her to escape unwelcome faces. She could just take off and fly away whenever she wished.

Providing she got this whole take off thing settled down.

Wanting to at least get the hang of taking off, if not also landing, Alysanne rustled her wings a little bit and prepared for another shot. “Okay, let’s do this again. Call out any pointers you have!” She welcomed the critique from the more experienced mare and smiled brightly at her before trotting away just a little bit so she would have room to spread her wings. From a trot she picked up a canter and then leapt into the air - but landed again before her wings could beat strongly enough to get any lift. Snorting and shaking off the hiccup, she tried again and succeeded in actually taking off this time, beating at the air until she was above the tops of the oaks that dappled the meadow.

Up was always so much easier than down.

alysanne & hemlock

image credits

@Lyanna
made by the lovely tamme

Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

Alysanne seems happier than she had when Lyanna first stumbled into this impromptu flying lesson. She’s glad for it, as well. And glad she happened to find Aly here. Because in truth, starting over was a lonely thing. When she’d first set off in Helovia, she’d assumed Adelene would follow. Perhaps not to the Edge, or even into a herd. But somewhere in Helovia. They’d entered the Threshold together, after all, but Adelene disappeared after that. 

Perhaps Lyanna should have stayed with her little sister, gone to live wherever Adelene had chosen. But she’d wanted to give her sister a chance to pick her own life, to live without Lyanna constantly hovering over her. But was it Lyanna’s fault now that Adelene had gone? Would her sister have been better able to cope if Lyanna stayed?

She tried not to think about those questions, but of course, they always snuck in. She tried not to think about a lot of things, but like a thief in the night, the thoughts came anyway.

But now, with Alysanne smiling beside her, offering information about her life so casually, Lyanna can almost believe she might have friends here. Might have a life here. Alysanne is the closest thing she’s got, at this point. But perhaps, after this, they would actually be friends. Partners in crime, at any rate. Not that learning to fly is a crime, but it’s secretive, and that seems like a close enough parallel.

“Well, I had some extra help when I learned to fly. I used to be able to control the wind. It makes it easier to learn, and easier to look graceful. Also, there was no way my brother would ever let me skip a lesson in anything. So there was also that.” She chuckles slightly, thinking of Corbin, finding the memory sad but not as painful as it so often is. “But practice makes perfect.” Because eventually, if Alysanne flew enough, she’d look as natural in the sky as Lyanna felt. But then again, the sky has always been home to the tri-colored mare. And it always would be.

It’s all she has left, really.

“Well, learning about plants and trees seems to have benefitted you well. But now we’ll teach you to fly so you don’t have to swim to the isles to collect said plants.” She says with a chuckle, remembering a rather wet Tilney from their brief journey there. Wings were handy, after all.

Alysanne takes to the sky again, and Lyanna watches, letting the other mare figure it out for herself mostly. Sometimes, talking only helps so much. It’s also just a feeling. A beautiful, free, impossible feeling with the wind in your hair and beneath your wings. Horse’s weren’t meant to fly, probably, and yet here they were. Born with wings and all. Lyanna takes off after Alysanne is above the trees, coming to join her friend before tipping her wings slightly, veering to the right. Another powerful pump and she jumps up in the sky a bit more, switching her wings and veering to the left now.

“Just let the feeling of the wind guide you. There’s some level of instinct to it, I think. You just kind of figure it out.” She slows, leveling herself and hovering not too far from Aly, but far enough to give the mare space to move. 

watch how i soar.

lyanna

@Alysanne

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

we heal with love

It was wonderful to hear Lyanna speak of her past, in a simple manner - not that there wasn’t emotion involved, of course, but it was a simple memory. One with happiness and good things. It was always a special treat to hear about the histories of everyone before Helovia - how their magics were different, who their family was. There was literally an entire world outside of this place and in wandered everyone from a whole incredible range of places and they all ended up here! “That’s good that he got you to stick to it. I was far too slippery for my sister to rope me into lessons with our mother when we were young.” Alysanne confided with a bright smile. She always just happened to be in the woods with their father at that exact time every day. Such a funny coincidence!

Then she laughed with delight at Lyanna talking about swimming to the islands. She had made that swim enough to know that it was tiring and flying across certainly would be easier. Flying would make a lot of things easier, she knew. She could get around faster, devote less time to her excursions, though she didn’t really mind the time that it took to walk north to visit Lena or east to visit Brisa.

Flying, while convenient, still seemed to be an excellent way to miss things. She could fly right over the head of someone she hadn’t seen in years and not even know it. She had long ago given up on actively waiting for him to come back, the first shadow of love and lust she knew, but there was that lingering hope. And if she was flying, why, she might miss the chance.

But she was good at stacking up the excuses to not fly, that was why she was having such a difficult time of it now!

She had to remind herself to flap her wings and actually try to stay in flight.

“Instinct.” Alysanne repeated the word with a dubious tone in her voice, raising it just a little bit so that Lyanna could hear her over the air and the beating of their wings. “What does instinct tell me about getting down?”

alysanne & hemlock

image credits

@Lyanna <3 sorry I took so long!
made by the lovely tamme

Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

It was good that Corbin had gotten her to stick with things. Everything. He never gave up on her. Frustrated and annoyed, certainly, but never gave up. What would life had been like if he’d lived? Even if they’d been forced from Morham, what if he had come to Helovia too? The thought brings a quiet smile to her face, before she realizes she should probably get out of her head and actually reply to Aly. “Well, he could have lit my ass on fire, so I wasn’t every going to just slip away,” she says with a chuckle. Not that he ever would have. She was not immune to fire as he was. But he definitely would have singed a few hairs to get her attention.

She could have tried flying away, and he would have found her with that damn fire anywhere (also, you know, he could have just followed her). Granted, she typically could put it out, but it took a hell of a lot of wind and energy to actually put the fires out and not just make them stronger. So she tried to avoid situations where she actually had to put the fire out. With her luck, she’d probably end up turning a tiny singed hair into a second-degree burn.

Alysanne laughs at Lyanna’s next comment, though doesn’t say anything more until she asks how to get down. Down. Down is the part she hates, really. She’d rather stay in the sky. It was a good way to miss things, certainly, but it was also a good way to find things. Lyanna often stuck close to the ground, using the speed of flying in conjunction with the proximity to earth to learn the lands, to find her own specific someone.

That find, may have just been luck. But still, she could have been halfway to heaven, and she wouldn’t have missed that familiar blue horn.

“Not to fall,” she says with a cheeky little grin. And then, more usefully. “You want to slow, and ultimately break the airflow. Your legs create drag, though tuck them closer to your body when you are near the ground, and try to land softly. Wings raised some to keep yourself from plummeting, and then, when you are ready to drop, tip them up just in the front to break the airflow.” She demonstrates, angling down toward the ground, trying to make the movements large and deliberate so they are easier to actually see. The movements don’t need to actually be so large, but it’s always easier to learn with them too big, and adjust later.

She hits the dirt with a soft thump, knees bending to absorb the shock, wings tucking back to her sides almost instinctively. She moves a bit out of the way, and then expectantly waits for Aly to give it a shot.

watch how i soar.

lyanna

@Alysanne

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki