the Rift

Beyond the black stump

Banjo Posts: 37
Absent Abyss atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.0
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 16hh :: 4 HP: 62.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Riven
Blimey, time flies when ya having fun ay Tilda? The weather’s been swell lately, mild nights and dry days just the way ya like it - the heat’s hanging around like a fart in a bottle already. Brings a little bit’v home into this adventure of ours, don’t ya reckon?

He’d been on the road for a long time, months, nay years - so many seasons actually that memory of them had long become but a dim smear buried beneath more present thoughts, and hidden consequently, in the deep recess of his mind. Despite the travel fatigue set heavily through his core, the queer creature was in good spirits and the brightness of his mood resonated through each long, bounding motion made down the worn mountain trail he’d been following. Dust gathered into swirling clouds in his wake, excited by the strange, swift thud of macropod feet each moving in perfect symmetry with padded paws - skill and speed beyond all reason.

But Banjo moved with no regard for differences, his own, the peculiar contrast in features that had forever set him apart from the rest (whichever crowd he happened to fall between). The three-beat drum of his descent was unfaltering and brazen - pausing at length as he crossed logs aloft, soaring like a bird, but quite without appendages to match. Eyes too, leafy-green, sailed boldly forward, searching the oncoming fence of trees for a crack which might receive his arrival; quickly he secured it, and in no time found a world of wandering shadows and scent so pungent, so awfully overwhelming that he felt the stew of bile in his throat.

Look here! Another forest, but this one feels kinda different ay - there’s a tang in the air, like every man and his bloody dog have been through in the last day. There’s buggers ‘round here who stink, I tell ya, the place is on the nose. Either that or I’ve been roaming ‘round like a lost sheep for far too long and forgotten what civilisation actually tastes like. Hahaha, that’s probably it ay, been out past the black stump for donkey’s years it feels like.

Had it truly been that long since he’d kept the company of others?

Undoubtedly this place was a popular one and their lingering affect hit Banjo square between the eyes, like an impenetrable wall that forced his artful progression to cease - and this he did abruptly, drilling claws both front and back crudely down through the carpet of filth below. Too much of his life had been wasted wandering around and around, bleeding thoughts of regret. No matter how heavy the reek which bailed him, their existence promised potential - or at the very least new mates to kick back with. The curious creature glanced then around him, surveying the forest which in all honesty looked no different from those navigated often in recent months.

Things here are nothing like the bush - even the twitters sound different.

Listen Tilda…

Reckon its too quiet, to. Let’s dig up some of the locals n see what this joint’s all about, yeah? Bet I stand out like dog’s balls here all by m’self…

“COOEE!”

Dress | cork hat on head, bandana wound top of neck
Notes | edited because style
all thanks to abba for letting me play with her coding <3
Plots | The Unbound | Absences
I run just like this!
Please tag me in openers and spars.
Feel free to flog n magic me, mild power play is also fine.
Text in the profile and posts reflects stereotypical ocker slang - don’t knock it mate!

Lyanna the Windswept Posts: 313
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 11 | dam: 4.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 5 years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

She really is thankful for Birdsong, because flying in the cold really is miserable. Not that it stops her from flying. Probably should, she’ll catch her death of the cold in that sky one day, but she loves it too much to stop. Still, it’s nice to have warm air again, growing warm enough to almost be summer. She’s been marking the passage of time by the seasons. One down, another almost gone. Practically half a year in Helovia, longer than that since she felt Morham.

No, don’t think about that. Nothing good ever comes from thinking about that.

So she doesn’t. And honestly, she probably would have been pulled out of that train of thought by the COOEE!! that echoes through the forest. She’s been here a good bit. There’s always someone new, and there’s always something strange. But this, still, is new. And, curiosity getting the better of her, she lands outside the trees, tucking her wings to her side and weaving through the forest toward the source of the sound.

She doesn’t know what she expects. But whatever it was she thought she mind find, it was not a stallion with hindquarters of…of what? Honestly, she has no idea. Morham had nothing like this (Morham had nothing like most of Helovia, though). But even Helovia hadn’t shown her quite this sort of creature yet. She really wants to ask, but it seems rude.

So instead, she nods, a smile on her lips, the kind that reaches to her eyes. She is good at this, at coming here and trying to give people a place to live. Even if she’s bad at actually living the life she’s offering out, that’s nothing to do with the Edge and everything to do with her. “Hello. I’m Lyanna. Was that you calling?” She asks, a bit of a laugh on her lips, still amused by the sound. Another thing she couldn’t recall ever hearing before. Ah, but there was a first time for everything.

Particularly here. This place would probably never stop surprising her.

watch how i soar.

lyanna

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Kiki

Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

She really is thankful for Birdsong, because flying in the cold really is miserable. Not that it stops her from flying. Probably should, she’ll catch her death of the cold in that sky one day, but she loves it too much to stop. Still, it’s nice to have warm air again, growing warm enough to almost be summer. She’s been marking the passage of time by the seasons. One down, another almost gone. Practically half a year in Helovia, longer than that since she felt Morham.

No, don’t think about that. Nothing good ever comes from thinking about that.

So she doesn’t. And honestly, she probably would have been pulled out of that train of thought by the COOEE!! that echoes through the forest. She’s been here a good bit. There’s always someone new, and there’s always something strange. But this, still, is new. And, curiosity getting the better of her, she lands outside the trees, tucking her wings to her side and weaving through the forest toward the source of the sound.

She doesn’t know what she expects. But whatever it was she thought she mind find, it was not a stallion with hindquarters of…of what? Honestly, she has no idea. Morham had nothing like this (Morham had nothing like most of Helovia, though). But even Helovia hadn’t shown her quite this sort of creature yet. She really wants to ask, but it seems rude.

So instead, she nods, a smile on her lips, the kind that reaches to her eyes. She is good at this, at coming here and trying to give people a place to live. Even if she’s bad at actually living the life she’s offering out, that’s nothing to do with the Edge and everything to do with her. “Hello. I’m Lyanna. Was that you calling?” She asks, a bit of a laugh on her lips, still amused by the sound. Another thing she couldn’t recall ever hearing before. Ah, but there was a first time for everything.

Particularly here. This place would probably never stop surprising her.

watch how i soar.

lyanna

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

Riven

The quirky buck stood for some time with his finely chiselled skull lifted  high to grant pumping nostrils better access to the warm breeze as it sailed smoothly by. Large pointed ears quivered attentively, eagerly, perched high above the tousled mane of soft flaxen, though not even the echo of his own voice returned to humour his arrival (the mountain only skirted one side perhaps?).

Not to worry.

Banjo lifted forward off his muscular roo tail and worked his sharp fore-claws through the thick carpet of forest litter; the reek of rich soil lifted quickly into the air about him, marring the confusion of scents that suggested he should not have been alone. So he would need to dig the locals up himself! That was fine. He was hardly deterred having already wandered this far to date - what was another day?

Trees towered above, groaning when occasionally the wind stirred a little stronger between them. He’d not seen their sort before and they were a stark contrast to the majestic, leafy eucalypts so prevalent back home. These had a distinct smell too (well the forest did), mouldy, with queer rugged foliage that neither rustled not rippled playfully above. No flowers dressed their boughs - they were dull, shabby, littered with cones somewhat less imposing than bunya nuts. As he passed through their shifting shadows, Banjo felt loneliness stir through his gut and he remembered with fierce fondness the old bush back home. It had been yonks since he’d known the warming comfort of familiarity. Deeper he ambled, slowly, pausing only once to ruin his peckish appetite nibbling the sour, wiry grass growing here and there.  

But his call had in fact been received! More so, a gal had been striding his way apparently, even as the sunset-red buck resumed wandering himself.

"G’day mate!"

Banjo made no attempt to mask the surprise from his upbeat tone when she appeared through the old grove of trees. He rocked back, sitting upon his brawny tail and grinned broadly for her. “Yep, that was me, haha! Name’s Banj. It’s not much fun drinkin’ with flies, reckon you could keep a new bloke company?” Teeth flashed briefly, charmingly, and long lashes winked quickly across his left eye - it was all good fun, and the quirky creature chuckled cheerfully afterwards.

Dress | cork hat on head, bandana around top of neck
@Lyanna

I run just like this!
Text in the profile and posts reflects stereotypical ocker slang - don’t knock it mate!

Ashamin the Clovenheart Posts: 426
Outcast atk: 8 | def: 11.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 HH :: 5 [Frostfall] HP: 79 | Buff: NUMB
Lochan :: Plain Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Rakt :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast Jen
     Lived unbruised,
we are friends; and I’m sorry, I’m sorry.
Sigh no more.

There were surely many who heard a call as loud and strange as that coee. Ashamin was counted among them. Prior to the exclamation he and his two companions had drifted quite lazily through the Birdsong day, weaving in and out of trees and dragging sleepiness behind them. Of the three Ashamin was the best at operating during the day time—Lochan the worst. Still, all three would have preferred to be roaming at night.

They took comfort in the wind and shadow of the threshold. If there was nothing else to remind them of the time when stars reigned, there were quick brushes of cool that passed through the wood. And it was nice, too, to be moving about in the hours that others were awake. Nice to feel a part of the same world, for once.

But when that sound, some sort of half-screech, cut through the wood Ashamin wondered again about which world he was a part of. Perhaps he had spent too much time in the Blood Falls but the sound cast a shimmer of fear in his complexion and his eyes showed their whites for a brief moment. Dark mist stirred at Lochan's antlers and Rakt shook stardust from his coat. Though none of them noticed, it took small vague forms before settling into the air. It seemed that the youngest of the trio was slowly learning the magic within him.

Never one to back down from a fight or strange discovery, however, Ashamin moved closer to the sound. His two companions kept him close company, for they both stuck their loyalty close to the Clovenheart at all times. A shadow from above brought another to the scene and they watched, heads all turning together, as a pegasus mare landed just outside the forest. Her colors were not unlike the former haruspex's, and though he doubted she'd emitted the sound he followed her regardless.

What he found at the end of her trail was the same thing he sought: a strange being, the only sort that could let loose such an animal call. Though Ashamin was confident as he parted the trees his companions lingered at the perimeter, preferring to err on the side of caution. The painted buck came within earshot just at the right time to hear their conversation play out, and was within sight by the time the creature offered his own name: Banj.

"Greetings," Ashamin said with a wave of his long tail and a craning of his neck. He was thankful then for his dark eyes which masked his gaze that roamed over the oddly dressed and hybridized stranger. "A pleasant surprise to find company on a day like this," was all he said at first, struggling with the concept of his own introduction. Behind him, Lochan (followed by Rakt) peered through the trees.

"Banj and Lyanna, is it? Forgive me if I misheard. I am Ashamin..." his voice trailed and his gaze flitted back to where his companions slowly appeared from the surroundings. Should he give his full title, the one he'd heard whispered by some distant company?  "...the Clovenheart."

It sounded odd, strange on his tongue. Who was he to have a title? A warrior, an old seer, alone, but... was he special? Did it mean he really was meant to do something great with his time outside a herd, as he had been considering? As if sensing his conflict, Lochan and Rakt moved closer and brushed their soft sides against his legs.

"These are my companions, Lochan and Rakt. We would be glad to keep you company, Banj. I used to be a scholar of sorts, if you are new to this land and seek knowledge then perhaps I could provide you with an introduction." The mare had come from inland and smelled of others, suggesting that she might belong to a herd, but Ashamin turned to her then and nodded, turning up his lips. "The same goes for you, miss, though you already seem versed in Helovia's twists and turns."

He shook his coat then, the thick beard, necklace, and sarong he sported shifting as he puffed himself up. Already life in the warmer wild had thinned out his Basin fur and revealed the built muscle beneath. Belatedly but always true to his manner, he stepped closer and reached out his nose in greeting, first to the curious hybrid and then to the darker, winged mare.

""

@Lyanna @Banjo (Don't tag me, a skype message will do. Let me know if you'd also prefer to not be tagged.)

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead

Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

She can’t help that laugh that escapes when he speaks. It’s a pleasant laugh, pleased and cheerful and a hint surprised, as he rocks back on his tail and winks. “That,” she says, nodding toward his tail, “seems like a very handy skill.” She flicks her own tail, white and teal, as if to point out how terribly useless it is for anything besides swatting away the flies. The teal is also a reminder of everything she has lost – all of her family had the teal tips – but no one quite needs to know that.

“I imagine flies make terrible company. I’ll do my best to be slightly more entertaining,” she offers, but she doesn’t get any further before they’re approached by another. Not that this is really shocking. That seems to be the way in the Threshold – moths swarming to the light. She’d had three come to her when she’d been new (two from the same place, though), and she’d never one been the only other horse to approach someone in the Threshold.

The newest member of their now-trio is black and white, with all sorts of various markings that make her think he’s probably been around here for some time. But then again, all manner of creatures find their way here, so who really knew. His eyes, she notices, are pure black, and it’s impossible to tell where he’s looking. It’s slightly unsettling, honestly, but she doesn’t let it show.

He seems nice enough after all, his greeting pleasant. “It is,” she says, when he confirms their names. She offers a small, polite nod (ah, ever the Princess, so unable to shake that habit). Two dragons mill about his legs, and it’s not long before he introduces them as well, continuing on to offer them information. “Less than a year in Helovia and the World’s Edge,” she says to him, pausing here and turning her attention to Banj to add, “one of the herds in Helovia.” Because once, she had no clue what the World’s Edge would have been either.

“I don’t know if I’ve learned all the twists and turns this place seems to hold. I think I’ve just brushed the surface.” She chuckles slightly. In truth, she probably has a million questions, but none that seem pertinent to this particular conversation. She knows the herds and the lands and the general way of things here, which seems like a good place to start if Banj is, as she suspects, new. Instead, she turns to Banj with a curious look on her face, waiting to see if he has any questions of his own.

watch how i soar.

lyanna

@Banjo

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

Riven

Indeed!

The fifth limb upon which he casually rested before her had always been a pretty bonza convenience - both physically and conversationally, and Banjo nodded gently, before the loose flick of her own drew his bright eyes down. There was nothing wrong with the soft, flowing locks that she sported - not in a superficial sense anyway, but how could he have known her hair meant anything more than a glamorous fly swat. The silken tendrils that licked about her tall white socks were lovely in fact, more so than the common, oily browns and blacks back in the bush, and they suited the ebony woman rather well too.

Not so much the feather coat flanking either side of her glossy barrel… what was with that?

Before there was much of a chance for any further banter however, he and Lyanna were approached by another who had perhaps followed the sound of his original call. The more the merrier!

Their guest appeared at first glance to be a fairly modest and strapping fella with mostly white and black shading, and a blur of brown along his neck which seemed redder when he slipped beneath varying shafts of warm light - all simple enough. What caught Banjo’s (easily distracted) interest however was the sheet of… something, slumped about his shoulders. It was most unusual, like even that the skin he’d been born with had by some ill-fate been excessive; far more than the frame beneath needed. The horsaroo was drawn to it, wanted to touch it, but as a matter of politeness withheld.

The stallion’s long tail swerved behind him which in turn, distracted the buck from his rather good stunned mullet impersonation; greetings were being exchanged, and Banjo lifted his eyes beneath dancing corks to find yet another feature too intriguing to ignore. What could only be described as a dead snake, seemed frozen upon his face and though great effort was made to find those endlessly black gaze above it, he could hardly move along. Luckily the painted horse and the sheila had sense enough to continue normally - and the queerest looking buck (himself) listened with trained, oversized ears to the exchange.

Ashamin

“…the Clovenheart?” he queried suddenly, pulling free from the ridiculous trance at long last. “Are ya crook?”

Soon after, two little deer emerged from the trees and drew nearer to Ashamin - their names were given at that moment, like they had some kind of bearing in the conversation; as though they were more than curiously stunted wildlife as expected. They would be glad to keep Banjo company? Mossy gaze returned to Lyanna, seeking sanctuary in her unfaltering expression, though he half wondered if she had a pet too, off hiding somewhere in the woods around them. Thoughtfully, she turned to briefly explain that World’s Edge was a herd - naturally he’d presumed that it meant what its name suggested, the end of the world (he had travelled far it was true!). It hardly sounded like a destination, not like those back home - Bullamakanka, or Yackandandah.

Horsey-lips grinned broadly, as they slipped forward to accept Ashamin’s nose in greeting, bumping it softly with a spray of blonde whiskers and velvet smooth skin beneath. “Well Lyanna, Ashamin, both’v you are tops and I’m mighty glad ya turned up.” He looked to each as at the mention of their names, glittery green eyes filled with gratitude for the help they offered. “So I… er…” His gaze strayed beneath the brown hat’s rim, from wing to dead snake as he tried to pick the least offensive way of asking, “your parents have some pretty quirky ‘wags’ too ay?” Because that was the most important question of all!

Decoder | 'wag' = wives and girlfriends
Dress | cork hat on head, bandana around top of neck
@Lyanna

I run just like this!

Ashamin the Clovenheart Posts: 426
Outcast atk: 8 | def: 11.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 HH :: 5 [Frostfall] HP: 79 | Buff: NUMB
Lochan :: Plain Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Rakt :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast Jen
     Lived unbruised,
we are friends; and I’m sorry, I’m sorry.
Sigh no more.

So the painted buck had been right about the mare; she was from a herd after all, apparently the World's Edge. Despite the fact that it was a name he had heard more than any other in the threshold, he seemed to know the least about it. For some reason he just hadn't made the time to visit. Maybe that would have to change.

He was pleased that the conversation continued merrily and politely. They were an odd collective, Banj particularly with his hat and heritage, but they seemed to at least be kind. Ashamin was thankful that there wouldn't be hostility in their conversation.

"No, not a crook," Ashamin said to Banj in simple reply. A soft, almost sad smile passed across his lips. "The name was given to me by others, I can't say for sure how all are to interpret it." How, even, did Ashamin read the name? Was if for his companions or his magic, his sorrow or his love? If nothing else he was self-aware, at least to some extent. He knew that the name had some meaning, and as a scholar he had some desire to pursue it. Now, however, was not the time to contemplate his own outer reputation.

"I'm glad to have met you both as well," Ashamin added quickly, trying to turn his thoughts from his own troubles and towards the situation. Banj's next comment was strange, and given that the word was unfamiliar he could only do his best with context clues. Lochan sent a splattered painting of the newcomer's tail, the thing that had been balanced upon and slapped around like some sort of broad beaver's weapon, and Ashamin went with it. Looking at Lyanna's blue tips and his own white tail, it did make some sense.

"Oh, you mean my tail? No, I was the only one in my family unlucky enough to be gifted the eyesore. But it does come in handy," Ashamin said with a smile and a curling wave of it. The sparked coils on its end shimmered in the forest light and as the tip of his snake-like tail curled, he revealed its somewhat prehensile capabilities. Little did he know how wrong he was regarding the word Banj had spoken with such confidence.

""

@Lyanna next! Also heads up, Ashamin's companions are cerndyrs, not dragons.

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead