the Rift

[PRIVATE] wise decisions

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
There had been one who had been attentive to the Edge’s needs. At first, she had hovered at the periphery, adjusting to the shift of life from Rift to Helovia. But now… Now the Philosopher was dedicated to her new home. She recruited, she attended meetings, she delved into the tasks laid before her.

The Elephant King was truly glad that Mauja had extended an offer of residence on that day of carnage in the Isles. Because of that, the roaned woman decorated in gold had sought and joined them in the Edge. And they were better off for it.

His ears perked as he studied the sea gulls keening in on the misted air currents above his head. He often found himself standing on these death-defying cliffs, pondering over the Edge and its members. A light, briny breeze swayed the tip of his thick, ebony tail around his hocks as he continued to think of the stocky, yet elegant, woman.

And his mulling thoughts came to a decision, as his gaze dropped and his neck arced to the side, eyes probing the thin shadows that loomed between the trunks behind him. He had made decisions of promotion before, but not for wise ones. He had spent time as Glazier so he slightly understood the craft before bringing Glasgow up, and he had consulted with the Doctors before elevating Tilney. But for the wise ranks… In this, he (appropriately) acted on blind faith, alone.

So, with a loud stallion’s call, his deep rumble trumpeted over the Edge, “Dacianna, your King seeks your presence on the cliffs!” And, with Mbwene snacking on the lush grasses beside, he waited.
Tembovu
The Elephant King
image | code by Avis

Open to all, but @Dacianna needs to post first!
Also, @Alune whenever you have time <3

Please tag Tembovu.

Dacianna Posts: 55
Absent Abyss atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.1hh :: 4 Y/O HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
imi
Oh heart of steel, don't kill thy song 
That sings so we, can heal the harm inside 

A sigh passed through the lips of the scholar who had just returned to the Edge after pursuing Ovidius down to the Grove. Her legs were tired, it was hard to run under the effects of the Moons potion and she got exhausted much easier with the extra effort she needed to simply maintain her balance at a faster pace. It was a good job she wans’t a warrior, she would be little use in a fight, always falling over her feet— it made her feel vulnerable. She was about to settle against a comfortable looking tree when the rumbling call caught on her ears and her heart jumped to her throat when she realised it was Tembovu who was doing the calling. 

What have I done? she mumbled to herself in apprehension, trying to think of what it might be and wondering if it was because she had yet to complete her mission. The Dragons Throat was all that was left, but the Moons quest was taking time and the scholar hesitated before travelling to see the King. What if he chucked her off the cliff? ”Don't be stupid” she silently berated herself as her mind immediately jumped to the worst conclusion it could think of. Perhaps he had found out about the thief. It might be something trivial, a question or a niggle, but Dacianna had never been called by Tembovu and she struggled to keep stress from lining her face as she travelled. By the time she reached the King, her mind had gone through an endless list of possibilities and she rather nervously dipped her head in greeting to the mammoth monarch, "always the cliffs, you must love them dearly" she laughed jokingly at him, alluding to the fact the last herd meeting had been there.

A wet breeze splashed against her roan face as the cliff’s elements played with her thick mane that tangled around her horns and got snagged in her bracelet. Tembovu she addressed the buckskin elephant before shooting a quick, playful smile towards his little grey friend Mbwene, the scholar still thought she was rather cute.

After that, the scholar turned back to the King with a curious look how can I help you? she asked as her feet shuffled.

@Tembovu
Don't let the curtain catch you, cause you've been here before,
The chair is an island darling, you can't touch the floor
--------------------------
force permitted / please tag me

The King shifts, watching the roan’s strong, compact body emerge from the trees and walk towards him—but anxiety tightens her face and shortens her usually sweeping gate. Great skull cocks slightly as he watches her, though he nods his muzzle in an answering greeting to the dip of her dual-curved horns. Navy eyes glance to her horns, momentarily admiring their symmetrical beauty. Forever would the Elephant regard two horns as superior; it was too ingrained in his cultural makeup to be changed.

But his gaze returns to her golden eyes, ears sweeping forward, when she joked of his preference for cliffs. His thick, black lips curve in a rueful grin, head halfway swinging to look along the expanse of the cliffs he so frequented. “I come from lands of wide-open plains, so I am used to seeing things. Trees and mists hinder sight in the forests and mountains, but the cliffs… you can see the horizon, here,” his low rumble was quiet and surprisingly candid in response to her joke.

Mbwene, meanwhile, had no time for her bonded’s impromptu sincere words. Instead, she leaves her snacks and trundles towards the roaned woman the moment her bright blue eyes catch sight of her gilded bangles. She brays a brassy greeting, ears flapping in hello. Though her sharp gaze catch that her silken, roany locks were now tangled about a bangle, and so her trunk reaches and points, a demanding snort coming out of her trunk. Her intention was clear: she wanted to untangle the mare’s mane for her.

Grinning outright at his companion’s antics, “Dacianna, I thank you firstly for coming and secondly for your dedication to the Edge. Your recruiting efforts have swelling our ranks and your endeavors in scholarly arts have not gone unnoticed,” his head dips in affirmation of his words, “And I also am grateful for your help in digging the trench around our borders. It is thankless, laborious work.” He snorted and shook his head slightly in rueful amusement—the glass spikes should be worth it, though.

“So I am happy to elevate you the Sage rank, in recognition of your commitment and hard work,” his deep rumble pauses as he smiles and looks at her for a moment, “Tell me, how do you find the Edge?” It was not often that the King had a chance to ask those who dwelled in the herd about it. And who better to ask than one who climbed the ranks?
Tembovu
The Elephant King
image | code by Avis

@Dacianna Congratulations! :D thank you for being so active in the Edge! <333

Please tag Tembovu.

Dacianna Posts: 55
Absent Abyss atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.1hh :: 4 Y/O HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
imi
Oh heart of steel, don't kill thy song 
That sings so we, can heal the harm inside 

She smiles, laughs even, at his quite blunt response and curiously pondered if he ever missed seeing those things, from his old home. From plains to a forest—she wondered if he felt claustrophobic here, amongst the woodland and the mists. Did he ever wish to go back? Dacianna herself was from a mountain and she too missed the rugged life sometimes, the clean mountain waters and the closeness of the sky. Yet, she could echo his sentiment; everything changed, but the horizon. Even when miles away from home the sun still fell and rose. She threw a gentle grin towards him, hoping she hadn’t been too informal with her greeting, though Dacianna often saw him more as a friend than a King.

“I like the cliffs, the horizon… I prefer meetings here, you should invite me more often” she smiled through her words, tossing her head to the playful wind and feeling it gust against her face before turning back to see Mbwene, hearing her trumpet and she laughed, happily surrendering her head lower to have her hair detangled. "Good luck" she thought to the sweet elephant, "it never does what you want it to do" her hair was thick and often latched onto things. Trinkets, branches, horns, other horses...

Their conversation swayed in a direction Dacianna didn't expect then, her ears swivelling and her posture alert as it appeared to be a matter of business, the reason she was called here. He thanked her for her efforts and she shifted her feet more, feeling embarrassed a little by his compliments. She was happy, proud even, that her deeds were not going unnoticed, but her smile was still shy as he expressed a gratitude Daci didn't expect. "This herd helped me from a terrible place, the least I can do is give my best to serve it" she shook her head, thinking he was being overly nice, but happy that she was at least giving a little back. 

The promotion was also not expected and she blinked at him in surprise when he announced it to her. She took the title in tentatively, still believing she had not done enough to deserve it, but she dipped her head thankfully to the King "thank you, for everything you have given me, I hope I don't disappoint you" her voice was humble. Sage, it sounded rather... Old? Like the roan, at only a mere four years, shouldn't hold such a title. She would have to work harder to live up to it and seek out the Seer for guidance. Dacianna, although she had met the Moon, still knew very little about her.

Lastly, she thought about Tembovu's question, the edges of her lips curving upwards again as she raised her head to meet his blue eyes. "Kind and welcoming, even the Goddess has been generous to me. I was worried at first, being of the Rift, that I would be unwelcome... but I was wrong" the Worlds Edge was something Dacianna had never experienced before and she had always wondered if they ever held her somewhat accountable for the violence that had unfolded at the hands of the Riftian Gods. She wouldn't blame them if they had thought her an enemy too. She had little bad to say about the Edge, but she did have a question, one she maybe should have asked before visiting each herd. "The trench... The spikes, I know they're for protection, but does the Edge have many enemies? Are there things I should know about when I visit other herds to gather stories?" though she had had no problems yet, the more you knew the less likely she was to run into any in the future.

@Tembovu eeeee thank you so much! <3 also sorry for the delay!
Don't let the curtain catch you, cause you've been here before,
The chair is an island darling, you can't touch the floor
--------------------------
force permitted / please tag me

Mbwene trilled a happy trumpet as the gold-decked woman acquiesced to her commands, trunk eagerly attacking the thick locks that snarled around the gold bangle. At first, her trunk was surprisingly gentle and dextrous, the small tip deftly untangling small clumps of gilded and black hair. But, as time wore on, her ministrations grew quicker, more annoyed, and perhaps more rougher than intended as the mare’s thick locks proved to be more prone to tangling than untangling. And, eventaully, even the small elephant’s trunk was wrapped in the mess of tangled hair.

With a soft, chirping harrumph, the calf extricated her trunk and slowly started again, eventually unwinding all the tangled locks from the bangle—though it took her much longer than she intended. A triumphant squeal, paired with a soft stroke of Dacianna’s velvet nose, and a glance at her bonded, the small matriarch released the newly appointed Sage from her attentions and tottered towards some Birdsong-budded bushes for a well-earned snack.

Tembovu, wholly amused by the antics of his companion, watched the calf while listening to Dacianna’s words. He grinned and glanced at her as she said he should invited her to the cliffs more often, but his grin faded as she expressed her reason for thanking the Edge and giving back to it. His head tilted, attention wholly focusing on the roaned Riftian—though she was Rifitan no longer; she belonged to the Edge. “I know you will not disappoint me, Dacianna,” his deep voice rumbled in a simple, genuine reply to her thankful words at her promotion.

He nodded subconsciously in both agreement and satisfaction that the gold bedecked woman found the Edge welcoming. A lopsided grin grew once more across his thick lips, staying in place even after she asked after the enemies of the Edge. His low voice was easy, conversational, as he answered her, “In the past, the Edge has had tenuous relations with the Aurora Basin and has even been involved with invading other herds. But that was before my time in Helovia; as of now, we are allied with both the Basin and the Hidden Falls. We are friendly with the Dragon’s Throat, and have traded with them, but no formal alliance exists between us,” he paused, eyes sweeping along the cliffs before landing back on Dacianna, “Though I come from war-torn lands, and Helovia’s history is not a peaceful one. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it, and so we erect protection at our borders.” His voice grew deeper, more solemn, as his words took a turn towards the ominous.

Shaking his head lightly, he returned to his earlier, convivial tone, “But, tell me, have you travelled to other herds yet to gather stories? Are there any that you can share with the herd?”
Tembovu
The Elephant King
image | code by Avis

@Dacianna we can continue this or let it fade? I wasn't sure what you wanted and saw some conversation possibilities <3

Please tag Tembovu.