the Rift

[OPEN] till my kingdom comes

Romina Posts: 33
Outcast
Filly :: Unicorn :: 15.2hh :: 9 Months
Brit

The Basin bores her.

They do not come to face her boldly, always skirting around her, and she knows why. She is not unaware of their differences, not when she has spent hours staring at her brother, memorizing the shape and slope of his features and how they differ from Mama. There is no fear or shame in the caverns of her heart, only judgment. They are cowardly, with how they dance around the subject as if she is unaware of her mutations. As if she has not owned and worshiped this body she was born in, this caricature that she holds to the heavens with pride. She does not need their love or adulation. Hardly understands what it is. She knows only the way her twin adores her, the fierce possessive love she holds for him in return. They don't need acceptance from others, they have each other. That's all Romina will need until the earth decays and her mortal body collapses into nothing.

Nevertheless she is learning. It is a slow and frustrating process, but one she tries to handle with grace. Mama is a good teacher, in that way. Romina so rarely sees her without the shawl of matriarchy that she only knows to embody grace and poise, rather than embracing the gangle and gaggle of limbs that curse most foals. But she is not most foals. Her tri-toed hooves do not stumble and falter as much as the other newborns, the earth is a solid presence beneath her feet. So she adventures, though it will surely cause her mother heart problems. Alice is never far, and Romina is unaware of the dangers that lurk on the distant horizon.

She only knows that the Basin houses those who speak too softly, watch with wary eyes and held tongues. Romina isn't old enough to be truly insulted, but she is perceptive enough to dislike it. To seek company elsewhere, especially if it means getting out of that wretchedly cold atmosphere. Her bones are too light, her frame too petite, to offer much protection against the chill. Here in the meadow, where there is sunlight and color - color, like the opal sheen of her horn nubs, the ones that made Mama look sad and nostalgic - she does not feel confined. She is but a child ruling over an imaginary kingdom, prancing about with her satellite ears and her ill-fitting confidence, happier than she ever is in the far reaches of the north.

"talk"

romina
Don't waste your heart -
On a wild thing.
Don't waste your heart on me.

Still getting used to writing her, but open to anyone who wants to meet her!

Kid Posts: 122
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Colt :: Equine :: 15hh :: 3 years HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
dark
I don't travel so far from home without reason, without purpose in the way my mismatched hooves beat against the earth. Today is no exception. I run with almost too much purpose behind my strides, nostrils flaring and muscles burning from exhilaration. There are too many things crowding my head, too many feelings clogging my heart and making my gears grind uneasily— I only wanted a moment away from them (just a second).

Mother was too much, a force both sensitive and mellow, an abundance of melancholic silence and blue. The down trodden mood blankets the entire forest, a black bubble of disaster and mourning, an influence on my own twisted sadness. I feel weightless some days, watching the hours tick by like its some kind of dream, lights dancing before me as I'm pulled forcefully from one day into the next. And I'll hear the wailing of a broken woman, a fallen emperor, ringing out through the creaking trees and quieting beneath grey skies. She walks around the forest like some kind of ghost, having lingered on this plane for too long in such a solid, confident state.

But this deep sorrow isn't the only side of her around these days— there's terrifying rage, a building up of pent up fury (towards herself, towards life), all threatening to spill out into the open one unfortunate day and bring me hell. I can feel it, sense the brewing storm in the way the hair on my spine rises, in the way my knees tremble when callous steel meets bubblegum. Soon enough she'll snap, and I'll be caught in the middle of her rage. In me she'll see her failures, her lost innocence to a man who has long since forgotten about her, the child she lost to a big wide world of all too much— and thundering down upon me will be all that pain and rage that's been building up inside of her. I live to fear each morning, afraid that today will be the day it all comes crashing down around me.

I couldn't take it anymore this morning, having fled from beneath tall pines to take refuge somewhere else. For a while I loitered at the edge of Aunt Nym's herd, trying to find the familiar grulla body among a sea of green and unfamiliarity. I found nothing but misfortune, turning myself away and running another distance before stumbling upon another figure (not the one I was looking for, but one none the less).

It was a child, peculiar in appearance, drawing me in with her intriguing display of traits. A delicate skull rises from a particularly small body, thin and lanky legs giving way to petite hooves (I'm too far to notice anything off). She is a princess, a child blurring the edges of equine and something else— built in a similar way to some of the passing fawns in the forest are, small and fragile as they bound helplessly behind their mothers. She wears russet fur over her feeble shoulders, and as I get closer I notice the gentle speckling of (fawn) spots— my eyes stop at the muzzle, squinting and blinking at the rather different facial structure the babe wears, accompanied by three toed feet (seriously, what is she?).

"What are you doing?" I ask the prancing deer-child, crowned head tilted down to look at the filly as the question falls from bi-coloured lips.

"Talk."
kid
run my reputation.

image | coding

@Romina i couldnt resist x:

made by reli

tag me in everything

Outcast
Brit

These hills are her playground and her kingdom, a sprawling fortress where she strides with purpose among her faithful followers. Her daydreams do not have her playing the sweet maiden, and she never wonders what it would be like to have a handsome stallion sweep her off her hooves and into the sunset. There will be no devotion stronger than the one she fosters in her twin, and none aside he worthy of the weight of her love. She dreams instead of her Mama's stead, of power and grace that she does not have in the realm of her body's limitations as of now. Romina is not aware that she never will, that her body is meant for agility and endurance rather than power and might. She will learn in time to use this to her advantage, to become the crying maiden that slips a silver knife between the ribs of her foolish savior. She will use her body as a weapon; the soft curves of her face and the wide sway of her hips are a promise destined to be left unfulfilled. She is chaos and ruination, and she will embody her brother's name.

Someday.

She is young, unaware of the machinations hiding in the shadows of her mind. Smiles come easy, manipulation faltering and fumbling. These days are for innocence, for the golden heart she will lock away only for her family - her greatest weakness, entrusted to those strong enough to defend it. Though she had escaped the Basin with its towering mountains for the sake of shedding shifting gazes and whispered voices, there was little expectation of actual company. She does not stumble, a skip to her step that startles, long tail curling restlessly as soft ears flicker towards the voice. Orange doe eyes peer towards the older boy, pale lashes fluttering as she tries to figure out who he is and what he desires.

Romina wanders towards him, grace natural in her long limbs as her tail uncurls to sway behind her.

"Escaping," her sweet voice sings, a little smile playing nervously on her lips. Steps towards the boy with an inquiring tilt to her head. "You must look frightening with your marking," she states simply, no sense of guilt or shame triggering that would make her consider her words - and his feelings - more carefully. But her brother is a brute beyond this boy's league, and she does not fear the abnormal. "Are you escaping too?" Hip juts to the sky as one dainty three-toed foot rests itself, big ears swaying as she tilts her head at him while she poses the question. It's implied that she's inquiring whether his marking makes him an outcast, like her, but she doesn't have the vocabulary or experience to word it correctly. She wants to poke and prod, see how he reacts when she sticks different verbal needles into him, but she doesn't know why. A degree of purity still remains within her, in her youth, but it will surely wilt with age.

romina
Don't waste your heart -
On a wild thing.

NO WAY I'M SO EXCITED TO MEET KID @Kid

dark
What I wouldn't give to let my responsibilities melt away, let them slip off of my broadening shoulders and give me a moment to breathe without disturbance. I crave the innocence I lost so suddenly, the childhood that I was never allowed to experience fully, desperate to become the careless child among imaginary companions. Sometimes I forget how much I want those hours spent daydreaming about my future kingdom filled with loyal subjects and my powerful army that understand each command I give to them— the false destruction of opposing kingdoms who dare challenge a mighty man such as myself, who fail to recognize the war familiar bones in my body and royal blood in my veins. These dreams of becoming something more than just a child to pass by, to ponder for a moment (oh, look how odd a boy) before continuing on with life— they've all been torn away from my fingers.

The harsh reality is that I may never achieve such a dream, may never make a name for myself here within the confines of this land (there's more beyond the boundaries of Helovia, for that I am certain. Mother has told me tales of her homeland, of the shades who consumed it and were merciless in the lives they stole), and certainly my name will not even be a whisper beyond these borders. I doubt it's even one now, just a thought collecting dust in the back of a few troubled minds— the Mountain has probably forgotten of me and my triumphant declarations of how sick she is was, the grullo girl and her sister have probably long since left behind the memories of our encounter(s), and that kind mare with the cerulean horn who swept me up in her arms in my time of need probably can't even recall that night where I sobbed helplessly into her arms. I will just live to be a nobody, born to die nameless and unknown, a silent existence among a thousand vibrant names.

Escaping, my old friend returns. The word (the meaning) cannot leave me be for more than a moment, always coming back to haunt me— to remind me of just how much I depend on these moments away (these hours of temporary escape). I offer her a gentle smile, falsely sweet as I look down at the doe-eyed (quite literally) fawn, observing the way the corners of her lips curl up nervously. "And what is it you're escaping from?" I'd certainly gotten this curious when it came to adults, prodding about in their heads by knitting together cautious questions that promised excellent answers— but I'd never dared to try it on children with such pure minds, given that I had very limited interactions with them.

"It must not be frightening enough if you're getting closer rather than farther." I watch her as she dauntlessly steps forward, tail twitching behind her as her head cocks to the side to observe my macabre mask. If only it was more terrifying, intimidating at least children, but no, even the children aren't afraid of my skeletal features. I'm formulating another question (those toes? The face?) when she drops one of her own, bubblegum eyes settling on precious amber as the last syllable falls from soft baby lips. Escaping from what? Yes, that's what I should think about. What it is I'm running from? Everything. But that's no suitable answer to give to a child (like me, she plays with her words and seeks out the results, an observer). "No, simply walking." Or running, whatever.

"Talk."
kid
run my reputation.

image | coding

@Romina ahhhh sorry these are so quick ive got so much muse for kid & totally adore romina C":

made by reli

tag me in everything

Outcast
Brit

In time Romina will learn that the truth is the best manipulative device, the sharpest knife and the deepest wound. The banshee will come to understand that an effective lie holds the most truth, and that a heart's hidden desires are the most enticing promises. Her own inherent honesty will fade with time and the understanding that she is different, removed from the sheep of Helovia, and that they do not deserve the purity of her heart beneath the blackness of her apathy. There is no fear in answering the older child, no lies that spring forth at this tender age; even as she naturally weaves and twists her words to suit and glamorize her escapade. She is a princess, with royal golden blood and fine-boned beauty. Her parents and twin adore her, her herd is mighty and beautiful, and she has known nothing but praise and affection in her short life. She will tumble from that golden throne and spend the rest of her life bitter and vengeful, climbing her way back to the rightful top.

He is merely the first in a long line of faces that she will record into her history, and whether he fades or remains is yet to be seen. She is still youthful and mostly innocent, a tender bud in a blooming landscape, yet to make her mark on the world.

He entertains her, at least. Inquiring further, giving her the stage and the spotlight, and she wanders ever closer to him on tiny legs that do not falter. In time this natural born grace will be utilized, but she is still mostly unaware of her differences. Naive, even. Burning orange eyes flirt with pale lashes as she smiles, coy and devious all at once. Teasing and playing is well within her wheelhouse at this age, a subtle macabre twist to the ways of the young coating her intentions enough to give the perceptive pause.

"Why should I tell you? If it's a beast you're too young to kill it, and if it is treasure, I would keep it for myself." One hoof stamps in playful underscore of her words, little opal nubs catching on fire for a brief second in her playful rush. It is harmless but dazzling as it licks at the sky and illuminates the skin of her inner ears, blues and pinks and whites swirling and crackling. Romina wishes she could control it, despises the fact that her emotional state is always so obvious with the way the flames appear. It is embarrassing for the child, though it will become a weakness in adulthood.

But her face falls into something quiet, musing over the taste of bitterness she senses from his tongue. Lips quirk as she imagines her beast of a brother, with his monstrous body and huge horns. "I'm not easily frightened, though," she responds softly, lips twisting into a smirk of satisfaction that as of now is too cute to inspire any real negative emotions in others. "The most interesting things hide behind the scariest skin." Already she knows this, because her brother is the most beautiful gem she has ever encountered, and he is wrapped in the shawl of darkness and danger. Is Kid similarly intriguing? Or is he the first to present himself as an outlier?

"How boring," Roma dubs his answer playfully, kicking into motion and prancing away a few steps, peering over her little shoulder with big eyes, a silent Aren't you coming? "Good thing I found you, then. What is your name? I can't call you the boring skeleton after all." Well she could, but Romina liked to think she had more creativity than that.

romina
Don't waste your heart -
On a wild thing.

dark
I lean back at her words, black and white lashes sweeping down to hide the mischievous glint of bubblegum, a grin gracing my lips. She is still young, lacking the experience of true fear, of feeling the scattered pieces of your life begin to slip out of your grasp— the laboured breathes signifying the downfall of a broken child, whose body is littered with scars made from love. She thinks she is fearless, thinks she has seen it all— that those monsters under the bed are nothing, but this little girl does not know. Those monsters aren't monsters at all, but ordinary people and feelings, twisted and tortured until something breaks and it all collapses. "That you are," I murmur, hiding the smugness, the knowledge I keep. She will learn, in time, that even the hardest to frighten wither under harsh conditions.

"Is that what you believe?" I ask her, looking down upon the fawn faced filly as the words leave her lips. Did she really believe such? That hidden beneath rugged features and broken faces she could find something of interest? What an interesting idea. I'd been fed the truth idea that true horrors lie behind those least expecting, that under ordinary hide there's much to be found (Mother offered this lesson, with her casual appearance and sickening habits). "You'd be surprised how much can be hidden behind the most ordinary faces." My neck lowers, voice hushed as I weave a tale of deceit and mystery hidden behind the common faces we pass by everyday. Behind each there is a story untold, a mystery to solve— with the right words and patience, those stories can be brought to light.

She calls me boring— me! The grin cracks wide across black and white features, charming as I let out a soft laugh. How absurd that she thinks I'm boring. She thinks that my wandering hours are dull, an uneventful practice that just stretches on and on and I escape from Mother's steel gaze. The filly is striding away on fawn legs, glancing back with silent question— I follow, slow stride keeping me a minimal distance away from the little fawn.

She does not know just how exciting I am— that behind these deceptively pink eyes there are unimaginable things. There is the outlying hatred, the bitterness of a shitty childhood— somewhere buried beneath the confidence and monstrous ego, suffocated beneath big dreams of conquering kingdoms and glory, stored under the hopes of greatness, of being something more. It's hidden well, stuffed desperately under cunning and callous, beneath uncaring and practiced distance— it's something I will not admit exists, something I'm ignoring with all my might (lonely).

The first name that comes to mind is not my own at all, but King Chickenshit— the title I'd given myself in the presence of my friend, the electrifying (see what I did there?) filly I'd gotten rather close to. But that name was not appropriate for young ears (even though I too, am young), and instead I offer my own boring name. "Kid. Although, boring skeleton seems like a better name." I look at her in her one-of-a-kind glory, prancing through the recently blooming flowers and tip toeing past the fauna— she seems in her element here among the greens and sweetly hued flora. "And what of you? Perhaps I'll call you little fawn," the title is true to her appearance, white spots freckling her russet hide like that of the baby deer I see in the forest, stumbling after their mothers on graceless legs.

"Talk."
kid
run my reputation.

image | coding

@Romina ahh this is late and kinda crappy, i'm so sorry!!

made by reli

tag me in everything

Outcast
Brit

There is something almost...mocking about the way he speaks. Amusement, perhaps? But she doesn't know what she said that was funny. Romina is not perceptive or wise enough to catch his tells, but her intuition sparks momentarily. Orange eyes slant towards him for a moment as if daring him to continue, trying to analyze what was making her feel the way she was. But she was just a child, and a very young one at that. She tosses her soft short mane and instead preens dramatically, a playful smile pulling at her lips. She glances at him from the corner of her eyes, trying to appear elegant and important for the charade. ”You’re learning quickly, skeleton boy,” she pronounces with a lilted voice, jokingly trying to replicate something poncy and aristocratic.

Of course, such playfulness is not nearly as fun or intriguing (to Romina, that is) as the conversation the boy offers. She swivels to face him better, contemplating his words and tilting her little face as if to analyze him from a different angle. Hums softly in her throat and smiles like she holds the secrets of the universe, regardless of her age. This boy is proving to be quite the interesting sort, and Romina eagerly sinks her claws into him. When she tires of him she will release him once more, but for now he is engaging enough to warrant her attention.

”I never said scary. I said interesting. It is a distinction she finds important, and one she will emphasize mysteriously to the dark gem of a child. ”A monster is not what you are. It’s what you do. And her eyes glint for a moment, as if she is excited to begin those actions herself someday. But instead Romina flicks her long tail and prances back into the field, unwilling to award anyone her constant full attention. ”But...the ones who look like monsters are more interesting,” Romina continues, her brother’s handsome face flickering in her mind’s eye. Her father’s mangled horn, Kiada’s dark features, the various beasts of the Basin that haunted the frozen earth.

”Because they grow up and everyone whispers. They grow up different. I like to see how different.” Romina angles her gaze back to Kid, suddenly sharp. As if trying to see beneath his skin to the personality beneath. A jeweler with a precious gem beneath her powerful scope. ”That’s why we are both different.” It’s stated simplistically, as if Romina doesn’t have to explain her opinion any further. As if there is no way she could possibly be wrong. Her assumption of him is concrete fact to her, if only because she has lived the childhood of abnormal appearance as well. Kinship, if you would.

He follows her into the field of flowers, and she smiles, pleased. Flicks her tail at him and grins around milk teeth as he introduces himself. Kid. And then he compliments her joking title, and Romina already knows she will not be one to use his name. Her own little version of power, to reject his name and substitute her own. Or perhaps it’s because his name is so simple, more of a description than a name. But boring skeleton is simply too much of a mouthful for a name. ”Then I’ll call you Bones,” Romina hums decisively, allowing no argument with the tilt of her smile and the conclusive nod of her muzzle.

Her laugh pours from her mouth, delighted by the rebuttal of naming. ”Call me Fawn, if you wish. Names are powerful things, you know. Rulers should always have a title instead of a name.” At least, that’s what she believed. Her father had a title, and her mother’s name was well known in the land as well. She plucks a bright flower - white and pink - from the earth with her teeth. Turning, she moves to try and place it in Kid’s mane. ”Fawn and Bones. Far more mysterious,” she pronounces with a wide grin. Mystery is a childish notion for now, but she revels in it as surely as any other, truly innocent child.

romina
Don't waste your heart -
On a wild thing.

@Kid

dark
She is all smiles and innocence, a purity I was never born with. Her lips curl and her delicate little head is tossed as the words find their way from her lips— poised and pretty, fit for the rich and royal. "I've always been a quick learner." This was, in some parts, very true. I picked up on things, observed quietly and took note of what seemed important. As a much younger child I was careful to pick apart each detail, to analyze all that I could take in with my curious bubblegum eyes and open mind— Mother sought to mold me to her liking, fitting me to be her dream child (she failed), using my need to know to her advantage. I wanted the knowledge that came with life, the possibilities of power and strength that could be gained through hard work (I will find ways around that).

"And I never said scary either." My eyes focus on her as she speaks, careful not to interrupt her as she rambles about the way a monster becomes a monster and the mystery hidden behind those hideous faces. I wasn't a monster nor hideous, but a child who was still too young to have any importance in the world, to leave any spilled blood or wicked lies in my tracks— I would never be that blood thirsty, lusting after the destruction of innocent lives (or even guilty ones), I would never be responsible for taking a life. I have morals (surprisingly). "It's all a matter of how you are raised, of your environment and understanding. It varies on your parents as well, and your own actions, on the outcome of those actions. We both could have turned out very different, and we still could. We are constantly changing."

I shrug my shoulders at the end, an act of carelessness displayed in the rise and fall of scarred tissue. It is her choice to decide whether she agrees with what I've said or to call it foolish or irrational— whatever she decides, it won't move me into changing my opinion.

So she prances on petite hooves and I follow, calmer and less energetic despite the movement of my ears and darting of my eyes, black tail slapping against my thighs every few steps. The precious babe tip toes her way through the field, so careless in the way she dances past the flowers and grins childishly (she is a child after all). Bones. She tells me that she'll call me Bones rather than Kid, rather than boy or child— she tosses aside my meaningless name and offers me a new one, far more interesting than my own (seriously, Kid?). Bones provides the mystery I need, the strength of a new title— it's nothing of permanence, a simply temporary name provided by a child who seeks to call me something new (something better). "Bones it is then."

Bones and Fawn, a new comedic duo consisting of a petite filly with the features of a fawn and a shithead skull kid who has parent problems. Sounds great. Names are powerful things. That they are Fawn, that they are— perhaps a new name should be offered rather than Kid, a special name for all the acquaintances I make on my journey to kinghood. "Do you have a title in mind for yourself?" My ears swivel forward as I watch her scan the fields with burning irises, taking between her lips a pink and white flower (how coincidental), approaching me with her neck outstretched. I duck down and let her put the flower in my hair, a subtle smile growing as I straighten out and the flower settles into the black of my mane— pretty. "How do I look?" I stand valiantly before her, showing off the delicate flora nestled in my mess of a mane (I do comb it, but I'm trying to make it look a little unkempt). "And what about you? How about... uh..." I look around us for the perfect candidate, spying a blooming white flower that calls out for attention— yes that'll do. I pick it up and offer it towards the filly, an equivalent exchange. A flower for me, a flower for you. I reach towards her with it, seeking to tuck it behind her curiously shaped ears and let it reside there among the chestnut locks.  

"Talk."
kid
run my reputation.

image | coding

@Romina

made by reli

tag me in everything