the Rift

[OPEN] hope and memory

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah

Alysanne wasn’t sure what exactly had compelled her to do so, but she had gathered some of her most precious keepsakes today when she was heading out - three feathers from her nest. One a rich brown, one a bright white, and one mottled black and white - tokens from three of those in this world that she held closest to her heart. Although Iona was around and certainly would have come with her on this excursion if she had asked, Alysanne wasn’t heading out with a particular destination in mind and so just planned on wandering until she found something. So she wanted to carry these trinkets with her as her mind often went to her children and her sister - never a day passing when it didn’t.

Equipped with the small bag that Raeden had given her, the doctor and her companion set out on the search of new plants to expand the garden they tended. After a while, she started to realize how impractical it was to wear feathers just sticking out of her mane here and there. If she moved too quickly, or if the wind picked up at the right angle (as it was doing as she crossed the Thistle Meadow on her way south) they went flying out of her mane and Hemlock had to swoop down and collect them again.

On one such even, just a little north of the flaming heart, Hemlock was bringing them back to her when she noticed that the white feather had a kink in it. “Oh Hemlock! Look, Arty’s feather is all bent.” Her voice was without accusation towards him - it was her fault for bringing these precious things out with her. Carefully, the little owl placed the treasures on the ground and tried to straighten out.

‘Put in the bag?’ He offered as a suggestion as he worked, to little effect.

“No I worry that even in the bag they wouldn’t be safe, I should have left them in my nest. What was I thinking?” Quietly she cursed her sentimentality as she lowered her dark head down to get a look at the damage. These were the last feathers she had from her children - and although she was sure that she would see them again and would be able to gather more, she would grieve for their loss all the same.  

*ALYSANNE
lying on the edge of a star

convenient timing for Sohalia to show up, no? xD
she's outside of the caves and a little away from the heart, on the northern edges of the land :)
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Sohalia the Transcended Posts: 477
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Astraeus :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya ChaoticMelodies
Sohalia
the Transcended
Truth be told, the Transcended was a bit nervous to stray from the Dragon's Throat. She had weathered some time there by now, and had given birth to her final child (though she didn't know yet that Vinati would be her last); and though things seemed to be going well, and she didn't seem to be in danger of disappearing again, she worried all the same. It had happened too many times before. She would leave the safety of home and not return for seasons on end, alienating her mate, her children, and her herd (memories of Megaera's less-than-friendly welcome pushed rudely into her thoughts). It had happened before, but she would rather die than allow it to happen again.

No, she was more deeply rooted than ever in the Dragon's Throat, and she was not about to go anywhere. At least, not permanently. Not even for more than a day. For one, she had Vinati to feed and care for; for another, she simply had no desire to be away for that long. Each day that Gaucho did to see her among his herd was a day that doubt would grow in his heart. When things were going so well, she was loathe to allow him any chance for insecurity.

Still, Aleta was alone with Kaj in the Hidden Falls, and the Transcended was growing more and more guilty that she had all but disappeared from the girl's life. It was a challenge, to live a lie; she knew that Gaucho had sired other foals, but he did not know that she had borne a daughter to any other than him. Well, he knew about Note, but somehow that wasn't the same. The mare thought it possible that he would view Kaj's paternity as a betrayal. Particularly when the steed had offered Gaucho's former mate shelter without even bothering to send word.

But Aleta - oh, what to do about the little lighting girl?

And so the Transcended made for the border of the Throat and began a trip to the Falls. She took flight amongst the dunes some way from the oasis, soaring easily over the short expanse of sea that separated their herdland from the rest of Helovia. It was not until she saw the Heart Caves yawning beneath her that she thought it might be time for a rest (she had, after all, given birth fairly recently).

Astraeus remained airborne as his bonded touched down gracefully near the opening to the underground caverns. Wanting nothing more than to stretch his wings, the zephyr had welcomed the idea of a trip across the land. Sohalia, on the other hand, was suddenly questioning her plan. If she was tired already, how was she to make it all the way to the Falls and back before she was missed?

A quiet voice caught the mare's attention, and she found herself soon approaching a black-and-white painted pegasus. The stranger seemed distressed, a small owl perched before her with a somewhat quizzical expression. Sohalia hesitated, not wishing to intrude; but then her curiosity got the better of her, and she finished her approach. "Excuse me, but - are you alright?"

"Talking."
-Astraeus.-
Sohalia
Image Credits

@Alysanne
Please tag Sohalia in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to place an order?  Visit Crystalline Creations here!
Want to plot with Sohalia?  Visit her plot page here!

So distracted were Alysanne and Hemlock, continuing their quiet discussion over what they could do that they did not notice the approach of someone else until they had spoke. The hesitant voice interrupted thoughts of finding flat stones to press the feathers between (but then, how to carry them from here?) and Alysanne started with a small jump in her place at the sound of it.

“Oh!”

She exclaimed as she turned, quickly spotting the beautiful white pegasus standing nearby. As there was no aggression in the other’s stance, Alysanne settled quickly and offered a small smile as she answered the kind question. “I’m fine. It’s just that…” But her dark face crumpled back into a frown when she looked back down to the bent and damaged feathers that lay on the ground, guarded by Hemlock as he peered curiously up at this new stranger. It seemed strange to him that he and Aly could have spent years here in Helovia and yet there were still unknown faces that they had yet to meet.

His bonded, meanwhile, was attempting to describe. “I took the feathers of my family out with me when I left the Edge but I shouldn’t have, because they’ve become bent in our travels. I don't know why I did it...” She wondered how silly it sounded, how upset she was getting over these feathers - but perhaps if this mare was a mother, she might understand. Her green eyes were undeniably sad as she sought to explain. “My son and daughter are missing and they’re all I have left of them.” She reached down to nuzzle the three feathers gently, each still smelling faintly of their previous owner be it son, daughter, or sister.

*ALYSANNE

Sohalia
the Transcended
Sohalia hadn't meant to approach so quietly as to startle the poor painted mare. She was clearly distressed, triggering a strong instinct in the Transcended to attempt to help. For a moment, the dove wondered if she had always been this way, or if it had started after she had borne children. It seemed so long ago now that she was young and innocent - she couldn't remember what it felt like to have no one but herself to worry about. The thought was a bittersweet one. She would not trade her family for anything, but at times she wished that she had less responsibility riding on her shoulders.

The painted mare smiled as she recovered from her surprise, and Sohalia returned it in kind, albeit a bit sheepishly. There was an unspoken apology in her eyes, a rueful sort of grin that bespoke her regret at causing the other mare unrest. The dove stepped forward, closing the gap between them, concern creasing her brow as the painted pegasus faltered back into a dismayed frown. The Transcended followed her gaze to the little owl, who was guarding a pile of bent, frayed feathers.

As the stranger explained her grief, Sohalia nodded sympathetically. Too often had the dove found herself separated from her own children - and she had nothing to remember them by. The realization struck her with a pang of sadness. She would have to figure something out to give to each of them and ask them for feathers of theirs in return. She could even crystallize them to protect them from the elements, thus avoiding breaking -

The mare's eyebrows shot up suddenly, for she knew that she could do something to soothe the stranger's heart. "Oh!" She paused then, shifting her weight sheepishly at her outburst. "I'm sorry, it's just - I could preserve them for you, if you'd like? I can crystallize them, and I can make sure there's a little loop that you could string a rope or a chain through so that you could wear them? Or - well, anything that involves crystal, really. Can I - will you let me help?" Again she paused. Then, softer: "I know how it feels to lose your children."

"Talking."
-Astraeus.-
Sohalia
Image Credits

@Alysanne
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

What were the chances! Alysanne’s jaw almost fell right off when it opened up in response to the white mare’s words. It took her a moment just to realize how incredible of an opportunity this was, how amazing of a coincidence this was. Or perhaps it was fate! It wouldn’t be too hard to believe that this star-white mare was some sort of angel, the way she appeared in Alysanne’s moment of need.

“Really?!” Her green eyes started to swim with tears again but this time out of happiness. “Oh that would be wonderful. I’m sure we could find rope easily.” She was already searching her mind for plants they could use to make the tie, or perhaps Hemlock could even worry a little thread from the leather bag hanging at her side.

But as happy as she was about this chance encounter, she would not ignore the soft words from the mare - the admission of a similar pain. She didn’t - couldn’t - know that Sohalia had known true loss where Alysanne only had absence. She extended her muzzle, aiming to nudge this new friend in a small show of sympathy, genuinely grieving for the loss of the mare’s children. “I’m sorry that you know…” She broke off, the words catching in her throat and she couldn’t actually speak them. “I would not wish this on any parent.” Believing that they were out there, simply lost instead of lost forever, was enough on some days but not all of them. She had tried to build a new family in the Edge but loving her herd mates was not the same as loving her children. Nothing would ever replace them.

“I’m Alysanne, a doctor from the Edge and I’d be… forever in your debt if you would help.” She stepped back then, leaving the three feathers on the ground and making enough room for the other mare to get as close to them as she needed to.

*ALYSANNE

@Sohalia
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Sohalia
the Transcended
If the dove had ever stopped believing in fate, this chance encounter would have restored her waning faith. A small smile graced her lips as the painted mare beside her expressed her gratefulness. "Of course," Sohalia responded softly. "It would be my pleasure." She was surprised to find that the stranger nudged her softly, empathy in her pretty features. It was rare that the Transcended found herself in the company of such a compassionate companion; rarer still (at least these days) was it for her to stumble across a new friend. She wondered if kind souls had become harder to come by, or if she had simply become a recluse.

"As am I," she agreed with a frown, pain flashing briefly in quickly lowered eyes. "I wish I could tell you that it gets easier, but..." She sighed heavily, raising her bicolored gaze once again, her sorrow and solitude evident. It had been years since Skysong's death; it felt like eons since Diniel's. In comparison, her time away from her living children was short; but that, too, weighed on an already heavy heart. "I wish we had met under better circumstances, Alysanne." She was careful to repeat the name to cement it in her memory. "I am Sohalia, of... the Dragon's Throat." Her hesitation was marked. Could she even claim the sands as home anymore?

With a nearly imperceptible shake of her head, Sohalia gazed thoughtfully at the three feathers laid out before her. They were, as Alysanne had explained, a tad bent and tousled. With a deep breath, the Transcended called on her magic. Slowly a glimmer began to shine at the base of the first feather, growing and glinting as crystal grew to gently encase the soft object. The dove took her time, trying to coax the feathers into their natural shape as she worked. In the end, the three feathers were fully encased and preserved and (she hoped) rather less bent than they had been when she had started.

With a smile, Sohalia looked up, pricking her ears forward hopefully. "They should withstand just about anything now," she told the paint. "My crystal is quite hard to break. However, should you ever notice any cracks, please seek me out." She paused, regarding her work with pride. Then: "What are their names? If I meet them, I will try to send them to you, or at least let you know that they are well."

"Talking."
-Astraeus.-
Sohalia
Image Credits

@Alysanne

Alysanne didn’t think anything of the hesitation in Sohalia’s voice before saying she was from the Throat - it could mean a dozen different things and it wasn’t her business to pry. She too wished they had met under better circumstances but she was glad that they had met - it was wonderful to meet someone so kind and it lightened her heart.

Hemlock remained on the ground near the feathers but hopped respectfully a food or so away, taking Aly’s lead to give Sohalia space to do her work. Both owl and mare watched with avid curiosity as the magic started to take form. It was clear that there was an artistry to it and Sohalia worked with the medium beautifully - smoothing out the kinks in the feathers as they became weighed down by the crystal. Alysanne did her best to stay as quiet and still as she could - not wanting to interrupt.

As they were finished, however, a delighted gasp escaped her as she took in the result. “Oh Sohalia, they’re perfect! You’re an artist!” She complimented the work with delight as she stepped forward again, lowering her head to investigate.

At the question about her children, her smile changed - growing sad but fond. “The brown one belongs to my daughter, Naerys - she’s just two years old now. And the white one is from my son, Artorius.” She gently breathed over them each as she spoke of them, a note in her voice that only ever came when she was speaking about her family. There was room in Alysanne’s heart for everyone she met but her family was something different - and she imagined Sohalia would understand that. Her green eyes shifted to the last feather, the one with a mixture of black and white. “This one is my sister’s, but she’s with me… for now.” Alysanne explained with a smile. Hemlock hopped around the feathers now, nudging them gently with his beak to inspect them. Then, carefully, and one by one he picked them up and put them into the leather bag at Alysanne’s side.

As he did that, her attention focused more completely back on the white mare by her side. “I don’t have anything to repay you…” She paused, trying to think it over - only coming up with one thing. “Except my headband here? It means a lot to me, almost as much as these feathers.” She adored her headband, the chain of glass and the small heart that rested on her forehead - it had been Kahlua’s first gift to her. But she felt as though she needed to offer something to Sohalia - something that meant a lot to her because that was how much she appreciated these crystal feathers. “And if you ever need me - as a doctor or a friend. I’ll always come.” She spoke earnestly, the promise coming with no effort at all - despite how so very recently they had just met. But Sohalia had given her a gift that was immeasurably kind and meant the absolute world to her - Alysanne was not someone who would forget such a thing.

*ALYSANNE

@Sohalia <33
made by the lovely tamme

Sohalia
the Transcended
The silence stretched between them as the dove finished her work, carefully ensuring that the crystal was solid and the feathers secured. They were not quite perfect - if you looked, you could tell that they have been bent and tousled, shoved unceremoniously into places where they ought not have been stored - but they were quite a bit better than they had been. It brought a smile to the mare's face, particularly when Alysanne's reaction reached her ears. With everything else that was going on in her life right now, it made her swell with pride to hear her work appreciated, to know that she had done something right for a change.

She listened to the names, filing them away in her memory for future reference. If she ever came across Naerys or Artorius, she would do anything in her power to return them to their mother. "I will keep an eye out," she promised, her gaze lingering on the other mare's, a silent assurance that now there would be two more sets of eyes on the lookout. Astraeus chirped his own confirmation, bringing a smile to the ivory dove's face.

When Alysanna spoke of payment, Sohalia shook her head forcefully. Though the trinket that the other mare offered was lovely, the Transcended had not done anything for a price. She had done it because she had wanted to, because she understood what it was like to lose a child, because it was the right thing to do. Because she had wanted to remember what it was like to help someone. "I won't hear of it!" she told Alysanne. "It is my pleasure. If it brings even some small comfort to you, that is payment enough, though I thank you for your kind offer." It was nice to know that she could still make friends. "I'm afraid I should be returning home." With a smile, the mare reached out to offer her muzzle for a short goodbye. "I look forward to seeing you again, Alysanne."

"Talking."
-Astraeus.-
Sohalia
Image Credits

@Alysanne