the Rift

[PRIVATE] got so much to lose

Glasgow Posts: 127
Aurora Basin Apprentice atk: 3.5 | def: 10.0 | dam: 7.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.3hh :: 11 years HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Skylark
Everywhere I look I catch a glimpse of you
The magic she had found with her new rank flooded her veins. It frightened the scarred mare, feeling so much power beneath her skin. It shook her to the core. Her sister had always been the one graced with magic, and while they had both been beautiful, Glasgow had always been the one passed over. She watched as her sister felt the power of magic rip her apart. While this new magic that Glasgow had found, it wasn’t malevolent as the magic her sister had. But despite how it felt it still frightened her to wield. And she knew that if she were to master it, she would need practice. As if the jagged pieces of blades she had created weren’t a sad enough feeling to the mare, at least she had the simplicity of the coating of piece of glass to her King’s companion.

So today was spent focusing on the practice of smoothing things out. Despite her scarred nature, she hadn’t always been this way. She was once pristine, pale ivory with beautiful glassy horns that sat perfectly on her skull. A porcelain doll used to convince outsiders for trade. While she distracted them with her perfect appearance, her sister distracted them with wings, magic, and promises. But now, they had both been ripped of such treasures. And while Glasgow had imagined she’d never see or be of any importance after that, life had a funny way of proving her wrong.

It was a beautiful Birdsong morning, as the scarred Glazier stood beneath a large pine tree. Birds sat above her, chanting cheery songs into the mists of the Edge. And here is where Glasgow found her solace. She felt the sharp chill in her veins as it vibrated within her bones, focusing her glassy eyes to direct the mists into liquid and trying to solidify them before actually creating anything. She spent time working over each little piece, at first trying to make small smooth surfaces along square shapes and rectangles before even attempting a marble-like shape. These creations never lasted long, before the liquid glass could harden, she would press it back into the mists to try again once satisfied.

And so she stood, studying the effects of each different kind of pass over with the liquid, bird calls falling on deaf ears that only had patience for the task in front of her. She figured she needed to get the basic shapes down before even attempting the glass jars Tembovu had asked of her. She didn’t want to give the Doctor jars that were jagged and sharp, and so she grew determined to master the magic within her.

"Talk."
I said it was love—
and I did it for life.
Glasgow
image | coding

@Mauja IM SO EXCITED FOR A MAU THREAD ;-;
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
a falling star fell from your heart and landed in my eyes
But the birds fell silent in the shadow of death—the early sun glittered along white feathers and struck navy glints in the dark barring, and on silent wings her shadow passed Glasgow's tree. The cold promise of her presence brought an eerie silence, an abrupt stop to the chirping, before she passed. She was not interested in their small, fluffy bodies. She was not hunting. But what did they know? They were just birds, fighting to stay alive, and once the pale owl had passed they tentatively began to sing again, until the morning air was once more full of their vibrant song.

As if they hadn't held their breath at all as a memory of winter had sighed through the trees.

Mauja heard it ripple through the forest, the hush of silence in her wake. He was far enough behind her that the little avians had begun to sing again, but in a way, he heard what the owls heard, and they heard what he heard. Over time, the instinctual sharing had become constant, senses overlapping, minds bleeding into one another. They were separate, distinct, yet the same; their hearts pounded faster, but his life fueled theirs, and so, they would remain.

The mist hung like a fine veil in the air, glittering golden where the sun rays slanted in to strike it. Little droplets clung to him as he passed, forming on his whiskers, his forelock, knees and fetlocks, and whenever he passed from the shadow into the sun, he, too, glittered. Diego sat upon his back, or rather, upon the crystal staff he always carried with him these days. The water didn't stick quite as much to the owl, who was quite smug about the fact—his entire presence radiated satisfied glee. Apparently, it pleased him greatly that Mauja was sparkling. Passing into another spot of sunlight, and feeling the owl's renewed surge of amusement, he rolled his blue eyes and snorted. One day, he'd find some way to get back at the owl. But not today.

Beneath one of the large pines, half-cloaked in the mist (and surely that was the reason Mauja hadn't noticed her and steered clear of her, recluse that he was), stood a mare. Porcelain white, whit locks of slightly darker gray, and the same curious red-tinted fetlocks he recalled—but trying to put a name on her face was like trying to catch smoke, and he quickly gave up. He knew that he had greeted her during his reign as Queen. Ophelia had brought her. Torleik had showed up, which had, of course, soured his mood. But aside from that? He'd seen her around, and had a notion she'd actually gone and done something useful with herself, but her name? He didn't have the faintest clue.

He crept into another spot of sunlight, gold reflected along the line of his jaw. It wasn't like he was a dazzling, radiant beacon of light—it was far more subtle, just the sharp glint of an aureaute glow, but apparently enough to bemuse the owl. Behold, the one once known as Frostheart—but now, he comes in Glow Edition!

"Good morning," he offered after a moment, watching her with interest. She was doing something. He could tell that she was doing something. She looked far too concentrated to not be doing something.

But the question was: what was she doing?

[ @Glasgow <3 ]
I screamed aloud, as it tore through them, and now it's left me blind
image credits
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Skylark
The Glazier had been far too focused to pay attention to her surroundings. Of course, she didn’t feel the need to be on edge while being safe at home. She had helped with so much lately, that she would doubt anyone would wish malice upon her. For that, she was fortunate. So she didn’t worry, nor did she hear the flutter of wings from the birds as they flew in and around the tree she stood beneath. Instead, she focused further on the mists embracing her bones trying to smooth out the rough edges in a glass bowl type shape. It was rough, but it was a start.

She was shaken ever so slightly at hearing the words that reached out to her from the mists, causing the bowl she had been working on to disappear into sparkling shards of glass - back into the mist it had been born from. Turning her heavy scarred head, glassy orbs peered through the mist to the creature that had spoken. It didn’t take long for peering to figure out who had spoken to her. “Oh, uh, good morning.” She admitted, offering him a small smile as she gazed at the stallion beaming in the bright light. The little rays of sunlight reflecting from Mauja’s ivory pelt caused Glasgow to smile a bit wider. She remembered this man, but if he remembered her - she would be surprised. “Mauja, right? It’s good to see you again.” Her voice was soft as it reached for him. She hoped that was his name. She was awful with it, but if she could remember Ophelia and Torleik’s after so long since being recruited to the World’s Edge, she was sure she could remember Mauja’s as well.

But part of her worried. It always did.

She didn’t want to mess up, especially in front of the man that used to be her leader. So she turned her attention back to the mists that swirled around, as if they were upset they were no longer of use before she cleared her throat. “Don’t mind me. I just got promoted to Glazier and I’m trying to figure this whole thing out.” Shifting her head back to the Frozen Light, she passed a small sigh. “It’s, well, a lot harder than it looked.” She shrugged slightly, turning her gaze back to the mists as she pulled the chill from her bones once again - shaping the liquid it formed to various shapes before letting it dissipate back into the mists, her brows furrowed with the frustration that set beneath them. Maybe he had an idea how this whole thing worked? Even still, she had to be at least a little bit proud at the idea that she had magic after basically swearing it off her whole life.

Magic is only for those fortunate enough. The gods only gift those worthy of such an offering.” She remembered her mother saying. Oh, if only she could see her now. Instead of being a mere diplomat, instead of using only her words to sign herd leaders lives away, she focused on doing something of true goodness. And even though she hated gods and any form of higher being, she had to be at least somewhat grateful, right? For Tembovu had decided she be so lucky as to receive the gift, the Moon had been kind enough to follow through with the decision. And that, in itself, was a feat to her. Maybe the gods in this land cared more than those of her previous life. Or maybe they didn’t. She didn’t really want to find out the answer to that.

"Talk."
I said it was love—
and I did it for life.
Glasgow
image | coding

@Mauja she's probs just gonna ramble xD
Ascended Helovian

It seemed she had been just as unaware of his presence as he had been of hers; as his voice split the serene near-silence of the morning her head came up, eyes searching for him. The fact that she didn't instantly stare straight at him gave her surprise away.

She hadn't know he was there. So, he could've simply turned and gone back the way he'd come, and she would've been none the wiser.

Now it was too late for that, though, and it wasn't like he hated others, or company, just.. that he didn't know what to do with them anymore. Beyond saying hi and offering a sympathetic ear, what did one do with people? He had no orders to give, no things to speak of (for all his secrets are dark and dirty and nothing he wishes to spill on the pristine white of a stranger's lap), no.. reason to interact with anyone for more than two minutes. He couldn't even recall reasons from his past. He had always hidden behind duty, behind his role, being the King—or Queen—they needed to know. So now that he was supposed to do things for himself, he realized he just didn't know how, or why.

So, he might as well use this as practice. Trial and error, and hope there was no collateral damage as his brain exploded, which it probably would at some point. “Oh, uh, good morning. Mauja, right? It’s good to see you again.” Crap. She recalled both him and his name. No easy way out there. "Mmh," he rumbled, ambling a little closer, lest the soft tones of his voice be lost to her over the distance. "I'm afraid I don't recall your name, though I do remember greeting you. Ophelia brought you in." And that was an old, old wound, scabbed over and scarred a thousand times. It always surprised him how little it hurt these days.

“Don’t mind me. I just got promoted to Glazier and I’m trying to figure this whole thing out.” Ah, so that was what she had become within the herd—and the answer to his curiosity. She was glass-shaping. He opened his mouth to speak, but seeing something take shape within the mist he shut it again, peering curiously at her work.

It was like the mists themselves coagulated, growing denser and firmer, but before each shape had a chance to solidify it bled back into the fog. Strange. He had so readily thrown the job at Tembovu, but never cared to watch him work with it—or even ask him about it. And that was how it always went. He only remembered to check in on people five years later, or something.

"Interesting," he murmured after a moment. How long had it taken the Qian's glass-smiths to erect the wall? How long had they served, and practiced, before they were strong enough to undertake such a task? "Have you finished anything?"

[ @Glasgow ]
image credits

Skylark
As she suggested his name, he stepped a bit closer with an acceptance to the name. Nodding to him she offered him a small smile. Deep down she was thankful that she had gotten his name right. But in all honesty, she’d only really met a handful of creatures since entering Helovia’s borders. Mostly by her own fault. She tried to stay out of people’s way, out of their view. Once, she was outspoken, brave, always willing to start up a conversation. But ever since receiving her scars, it was as if she completely flipped her outlook. Which, she had, but she shouldn’t have done it to the extent that she had. She was beginning to realize that more with every day. And when Mauja spoke again, admitting he didn’t remember her name, that was the reasoning that reverberated in her mind. She wasn’t rememberable. And part of that actually began to hurt. But she placed a smile over the sadness that encroached her chest as she always had before and nodded slowly. “I’m Glasgow. I didn’t really talk much when I first came here. Ophelia did all the talking for me.” She offered him a shrug with a smile, an excuse for herself to not be upset with the whole ordeal.

Of course, she wasn’t upset with him in all honesty. She only had herself to blame. Being a recluse only got you so far when you lived in the shadows and had no such thing as glory associated with your name. But Mauja, Mauja was rememberable. Whether it be from the spots that lined his back and graced his entire being, whether it was the fact he was royalty when Glasgow had first met him. She would remember him, always. The fact he recognized her from their first meeting should have said something to the scarred mare. There was a sudden blockage within her mind that prevented her from being happy that he even remembered her. Instead, she turned her attention back to the event at hand. Creating things, getting better, making herself known so the awkwardness that her previous Queen had in forgetting her name wouldn’t be a common occurrence.

But then he asked a question that peaked her interested. “I’ve made a few glass blades for our sneaks.” She mused, turning her glassy gaze back over to the spotted man. “They were really rough and jagged, I wasn’t very happy about them. But they’ll do. So I’m trying to make smoother items, in the hopes that perhaps it won’t be as -Similar to herself? Broken? Jagged around the edges? Something nobody really wanted?Jagged and rough.” She finished, flicking an ear in uncertainty. “I’m supposed to make glass jars for the healers. We can’t have those being sharp and hazardous.” Flicking her tail against her blood stained feet, she offered him a small smile returning her gaze to the mists that had vanished into the wind once more.

"Talk."
I said it was love—
and I did it for life.
Glasgow
image | coding

@Mauja
Ascended Helovian

Changing was always difficult—admitting that the world changed was hard enough, but accepting the changes in yourself? Even when they were for the better he struggled against them, that old self whispering things in his ears: telling him how weak he had become, that he had given up, given in, changed because the world demanded it of him and not because it was right.

But those were things he could deal with. If it truly bothered him that he wasn't a scheming, racist scumbag anymore, he could probably become one again. All he would have to do was convince himself it was the right thing to be, and choke that little voice of reason and compassion until it gave up and stayed choked.

His memory was worse. It had been damn near perfect once, but the past couple of years—"couple", hah, it was more like four now—it had been growing sketchier and sketchier. Small details, important but not life-altering (like names of strangers) escaped him much more often. Events became jumbled, timelines tangled.

He hated it.

He wanted to still have that crystalline, flawless memory. He wanted, desperately, to remember everything as clearly as he once had—those old memories were still pristine and clear.

So admitting that he had not recalled her name had been doubly damning; in part, he hated himself for having changed in a way he could not prevent, and in another way entirely, it felt like he was insulting her and calling her not worthy of remembering. Which, hey, everyone was worthy of being remembered. Wouldn't it have been worse if he didn't even recall greeting her? (Yes, yes, but it's not about that, it's about showing that he cares—)

"Glasgow," he repeated. Now that she mentioned it, it was familiar, but he wondered whose feelings she was trying to spare; his, or her own? If it were hers, well.. he couldn't do that much about it, really, aside from feel ashamed. But if it were his? If it were his, he wanted to shake her by the shoulders and tell her to never, ever make excuses for existing, or something.

Instead of asking, he simply gave her a small smile and said, "Glass-grow".

Oh how funny you are, Mauja.

“I’ve made a few glass blades for our sneaks.” Oh? For the sneaks? So they could stab herd sentries when they crept in to steal people? ( :D :D :D :D ) (.. wait, you're supposed to be nice now, aren't you?) “I’m supposed to make glass jars for the healers. We can’t have those being sharp and hazardous.”

"Mmmh," he hummed, wondering what they needed glass jars for, and simultaneously cringing inwardly because his first thought was something along the lines of are they dissecting people and putting the organs in them?. In all honesty, he could not imagine Alysanne cutting anyone open and pulling out their heart and putting it in a jar.. it was just too bizarre, but of course, it sparked the image in his mind of an Alysanne with blood up her forelegs and a deranged smile on her face, maybe a bit of gore splattered on her white star and stuck in her forelock...

Stop it already. His ears flicked, his tail flicked, and he let his gaze focus upon Glasgow again. "How come your glass gets jagged?"

[ @Glasgow ]
image credits

Skylark
Her prior superior repeated her name as the new Glazier gazed upon the mists. A small smile creasing up the corners of her scarred lips as she turned her head to look upon his spotted face once again. He continued further, ushering a “Glass-Grow” comment that caused her to laugh softly. “Maybe it is my calling, then.” She laughed once again with a soft wink sent his direction. Her pupiless glassy gaze lingering on his face for perhaps a bit too long. But as the Glazier continued speaking of her glass creating journey, he acknowledged it.

How come your glass gets jagged?

Ears flickered in uncertainty as her gaze sought the mists once more. Why did it get jagged? She wondered. Trying to go over every little bit and piece of what could possibly make it so it was difficult for her to make something even slightly smooth. She lowered her head then, the light flickering and glinting off of the jagged piece of her horn that had been broken off in a time before this. Her glass was probably jagged because she didn’t trust any type of god. Her glass was probably jagged because when she had asked, begged even, for redemption of her sisters careless acts, she was punished. Her glass was probably jagged because she was just as jagged as a person. Not quite as broken as before, but where the cracks and breaks in her being were, they were filled with blood, darkness, and anger keeping them together.

But she wasn’t really an angry person. Not violently, anyway. She’d fight with her words if you were to offend her. Yet, she had spent so long away from everyone to make sure that no offense would come to her if she didn’t offend others.

Lifting her head, she let her haunting eyes land on Mauja once again, her smile gone aside from the scarred smile that was carved in a melancholy sickening display of faux happiness. “Either I’m not doing it right or the goddess is punishing me.” She shrugged lightly. “Ever since I left my home, I stopped putting my faith in gods.” She had every right to lose her trust with them. Every right to avoid them as much as possible, avoid dealing with them in the slightest. But here in Helovia, gifted with a god's power, she had to at least pretend. And whether or not the Goddess of the Moon knew that, she wasn't sure. She'd continue putting on the facade to save face, if for nothing else.

"Talk."
I said it was love—
and I did it for life.
Glasgow
image | coding

@Mauja sorry its all weird :c
Ascended Helovian

She laughed. It sounded soft, and he wondered if it was because she was like that—soft, not of resolve, but in her manners. Though, that was merely a fleeting observation, a question echoing around some unoccupied space of his skull. It was just a prelude to something else, a little something to dredge up all the other adjectives one could use to describe Glasgow: timid, perhaps, reclusive, even?

With her odd scars and perpetually blood-stained fetlocks, who knew what she came from? What she had been through? What had broken her horn, had it broken more as well?

And he had made her laugh, softly, gently, but to this naive ears it sounded genuine. With nothing but a bit of silly wordplay he had made her laugh.

He had never considered himself amusing; he had always been stoic, composed. True, from time to time he had offered the odd blandly spoken crass comment resulting in laughs or snickers, and he had had a handful of strange ideas, like when he had pushed Moron over in the water, but—that was it, wasn't it? It wasn't something he could fake. It wasn't something he could contemplate, stage, and achieve.

It was something that just happened sometimes, because he was in a silly mood and let it slip. Still, he was surprised at how ..good it felt, to have caused such a reaction in her.

But, of course, his prying question was less amusing to her. She averted her gaze, and he let her, waited in patient silence with his blue eyes trailing slowly along the surroundings. It was beautiful, the way the sun glittered upon the fog and the dew. He was content to wait for his answer, and when he saw her raise her head from the corner of his eye, his gaze slipped back to her as if no time had passed at all. And truly, barely any had—just a few seconds at most.

"I've never heard of any God punishing their crafters," he said before he could stop himself, yet his voice was gentle, thoughtful. Only too late did he realize it sounded like saying it was Glasgow's fault, but it was too late to go back and fix that. "And I can't say I have much faith in the Gods, either. I acknowledge their power, but that's it." His tail flicked as he tried to think faster than the seconds, but the pretty words he wanted to use eluded him; when he wanted to paint something smooth and soft like silk to boost her confidence, all felt like gravel on his tongue. "Have you tried, uh.. different 'ways' of shaping the glass?"

It didn't even cross his mind that maybe she didn't want to talk about it, that maybe she didn't want him butting into it.

[ Sorry for the wait, I suck. @Glasgow ]
image credits

Skylark
Gods were something that Glasgow really wished she could get away with not believing in. But there was something that just seemed to feel wrong about pretending they didn’t exist when she worked with a gift from her homes own patron deity. She’d acknowledge them, but if the goddess were to come down and ask her to do something, Glasgow would probably be willing to refuse and be smited because of it. The mare had little care for herself much anymore, the whole thing of having nothing to really live for. She had her crafting, which was a little blessing in disguise. But it wasn’t like she was head over heels in love with someone, it wasn’t like she had any children that looked to her for guidance. No, she was alone. And she likely would be. Abaddon came to mind, someone she felt as though she held a slight place in her heart for – but it was shifting and changing, turning against her in all the ways her mind made it do.

No one in their right mind would like someone like her.

And so she listened as Mauja, a man she had met once she stepped across the border of the Edge that had offered her a home among him without even asking where she came from – without even asking what kind of terrible things followed her. “I’ve never heard of any God punishing their crafters.” All the Glazier could do was nod, slowly. He might not have heard it from here in Helovia, but corrupted gods were out there, willing to kill the patrons that had so dutifully spread the word of. A soft sigh escaped her lips, ready to figure out ways to explain to him that the scars that graced her skin were because of gods and their reckless sticky fingers. But the spotted ex-Queen continued, and she found her glassy gaze drifting up to look upon the man softly. “You’re a smart man, Mauja.” Her voice was soft, and she nodded to him gently.

But then the conversation shifted to her crafting, and she was almost thankful for it. She was ready to place her dark thoughts back into the vault to come out on another day, perhaps one when she’d gain the courage to toss herself off the edge of the cliffs. She tilted her head lightly at his inquisition and shook her head with a soft ‘no.’ “Hmm. I haven’t. I’ve never had magic before, I didn’t know there were other ways you could go about it.” She admitted, perhaps a bit sheepishly. “I’m used to using it as a liquid, I figured that’d made it smoother but it just doesn’t want to work.” She looked away from Mauja then, looking back to the mists that shrouded them. She took the mists, allowed the ache in her bones and the exhaustion in her spine to create the liquid once again, using it as though it were pools of water to try and shape little spheres. She worked on it, mulled it over a few times, shot a glassy glance over Mauja’s way before creating a set of three beads, each one a slightly different shape but tiny nevertheless. When she was done, they stayed suspended in the air for mere moments in case she needed to make adjustments. These were better, a little rough and flat on some edges, but smoother and not nearly as jagged as the knives she had supplied the herd with.

"Talk."
I said it was love—
and I did it for life.
Glasgow
image | coding

@Mauja i suck more ;D
Ascended Helovian

(Gods and glass and things divine; social missteps and lost moments. Bruises, scars. Smoothing the hair back over where you just hit someone.)

It wasn't what he was the best at; once, it had been a skill well-honed, but a sword left to gather dust and rust becomes fragile and useless. He was a tool gone blunt, and in the whirlwind within he simply couldn't find anything to fix it with—or anyone to fix it for him.

They tried; some did, they really did, but he remained as he was.

Lost.

Being smart didn't help with it, either; what was intelligence without clarity? Wisdom without purpose, direction? What did it matter if he knew why the water fell from the leaves when the dew grew too heavy, or saw a fragment clearly but the whole was clouded..? “Hmm. I haven’t. I’ve never had magic before, I didn’t know there were other ways you could go about it.”

Mauja had been born wielding his spears of ice. From a young age he had been able to pull them from the ground—at first a gut reaction, instinct screaming along his nerves as his soul threw grasping hands at the chill earth and tore ice from them, where no ice should've been in such quantities. But with knowledge came power. With knowledge, he had honed his ability, learned to control it, eventually to do it in an almost careless fashion, something he could do in the back of his mind as he was focused on the enemy

Back then, when his life had had a clearly defined purpose.

Protect your people. Fight an ancient war you cannot hope to win as you've been losing steadily for the past decades.

Old habits were dangerous. "There is never any harm in trying something new," he said, quietly, thinking about the sunlight on snow and the iron-like smell of blood spilled upon the churned battlefields. No more pristine snow, no more newly fallen white perfection to lay like a glittering carpet across a world frozen solid—just blood and guts and split skin and the whimpers of the dying as they became too weak to scream.

All that fear.

His heart stumbled in his chest.

Glass beads hung in the air, three of them and quite small, but as his eye honed in on them he saw no obvious jagged edges; nothing to make them dangerous to the touch of a soft muzzle. He moved; frosted hooves separated from the ground with an effort that felt monumental but looked lithe and he padded closer to get a better look at them. (And all the while his heart kept trying to leap out of rhythm, swelling and swelling and swelling until he thought it would choke him—)

"They look good," he said with quiet honesty, afraid that his voice would tremble and betray the sudden panic flashing through his veins if he put more force into it. "Do not be afraid to dream, Glasgow." His movements reversed, a flight which was so composed it seemed nothing of the sort, and he paused once he had put a yard or so between him and the beads again. "I will leave you to your glass-making," he offered awkwardly, pretending to be graceful and —something, as he spun elegantly on a hind foot and made to walk off.

He wanted to go somewhere where no one would hear him scream.

[ I'm willing to wrap this up, hence why I'm seizing his random panic as a means to get him out, as I'm trying to finish off all my old threads so I can eventually pick him out of the glacier again. And we don't have free crafting anymore so lmao idk xD @Glasgow ]
image credits