the Rift

[OPEN] What kills you '

Caneo Posts: 133
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3h :: 6 years HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Ophiria :: Dragon Snake :: None kae
It's the simplest of love songs,

(the boy dreams — )

It begins with a girl; these things always do. Here, the girl is one part flame and she watches the horizon with eyes darker than the spaces between stars. Her voice smells of brushfires, but nothing in the meadow burns (does he?). He and the girl, they are always in the meadow. He is always a boy, and he is always lost.

He is in the meadow now. He forgets how old he is. He knows his belly is empty, empty again, and he moves like a wraith for water. And he is silent, gaunt, and empty as the sky while he stands at the banks of the river and watches the snake hunt her meals. Every day now, the snake grows a little longer, a little faster, a little more terrible. She slips along through darkness without sound, her tongue tasting for blood. She detests the sun.

His heart beats. He wanders from the river bank, leaving the serpent to her work. If she is little, if he fears to lose her to the careless tramp of hooves or the hungry mouths of bigger things, he doesn't show it. He is looking at the stars, instead, which once held meaning for him —

"Look for me."

He can't remember how much of the girl was a dream (he's looking now). Sometimes he thinks he's been in search his whole life, but when he skirts the meadow, when he dares to sully its face with his hooves, he does not find her there. Maybe their last meeting was a lie, something he crafted for himself out of hope, treacherous hope, that thing he always knew better than to trust too much. He feels strange now, empty and new, sullied and bent, a sharp glint of something cast off from a larger, long-forgotten monument. He has grown sharp with wear.

Sharp!

A little lance of pain; something tears inside. And Caneo's head snaps around; he returns to the present with a snap, a rubber band pulled too far. His body stills. His eyes narrow. His tail is a whip, cracking once at his back. There is nothing —

“O!” he says, his voice unusually mirthless. Where is she? He wheels, and steps once toward the river bank, vibrating. And all around him is dark, dark, dark...

But he no longer dreams.

but it's all our hearts can take.
robby shulz @ flickr.com

Blah. Okay, his snake is in moderate danger due to something; I thought it would be interesting for him to realize how vulnerable she makes him. If someone (hopefully xD) wants to join, they could almost step on her or something, or I'll have it turn out to be a bird trying to catch her in my next post, whatever, just adding some drama and potential for development into Caneo's life. I don't want her killed or maimed; she is very small and cannot withstand much damage. This is an open thread!

* violence & magic use always permitted *
Do not tag Caneo unless you are starting a new thread you would like me to see! Thank you!

Aquila Posts: 95
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.2 :: 6 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Craonos :: Common Narwhal Leviathan :: Boil smitty
Aquila
She found herself growing accustomed to the long stretches of earth. It was easier for her to walk on them, to hold herself up against gravity, as she treks across the vast expanse of Meadow. She wasn’t entirely certain where she was headed, strangely enough for the militant mare. She was ‘patrolling,’ as per her new warrior rank in the Falls.

However, to her, it seemed like she should be patrolling inside the Falls’ border. But, then again, in Akvo they had been under persistent attack by the Yotheans and Vjanta. So her presence as a warrior was needed inside their city.

But now, after the gods battles, it seemed like some sort of peace reigned in Helovia. It was one of the few redeeming qualities the mare found here. Although even that had its drawbacks: it left her feeling useless and made it easy to be lax with her training. And it was with the tangled, cross feelings that she walked with sweeping strides across the Meadow.

So distracted was she that the warning hiss that suddenly sounded from where her webbed hoof nearly was placed. She jerked back her brightly stripped leg. Face fins flare, waving threateningly as her ridges undulated along her neck. Sharpened teeth bared, snapping on air to return the snake’s hissed threats. How careless was she to not even see where her hooves fell!

The poor, young snake felt the wrath of her annoyance. Further pushed by its similarity to the dragons (those annoying winged rats of the sky), her neck moved quickly, slashing her bladed aquamarine horn down towards the grasses where the little creature was coiled.

She snarled once as her horn sliced through the air, in either warning or promise, while ears pin and angry eyes glare.
"... in a single day and night of misfortune, the island of Atlantis disappeared into the depths of the sea."
credit

I hope it's okay that she joined :D I left it open as to how Aquila's horn hits little Ophiria!

Please tag Aquila in all posts.

To be small again —

Fear shoots through his veins in spurts and gasps. The sensation whips down deeply engraved paths in his brain, in his body, like water flooding dry creek beds. It is at once familiar and terrible. But through it all, Caneo is blind; the ground shakes (but the ground is still) — a shadow (but he stares upon the naked sky) — oh

The noise shot from his throat is not his own.

It belongs to some other creature, something thin and desperate, something simultaneously killed on the sands of a homeland far from this meadow and breathing, breathing, breathing its last breaths near the rush of the water. He cannot move. He sees again the moon, though it was thinner that night than it is now, and feels again his heart churn, restless, begging for life. He had run then faster than he has ever run, so fast he thought his heart would burst, selfishly grasping at survival while his only family bled, bled, bled.

He is selfish now.

When he moves, he is a bullet, a streak of light — fastest in a straight line. The silver body wheels and his hooves spit chunks of root and soil as he shoves away. His body is his, and not. It is a boy's, and not. It is a limbless thing, shrinking as the shadow comes down, whipping and coiling in on itself as the knife slices through blue scales and muscle and toward the little bones beneath. (no —)

It isn't far. He sees the monster first, and his silver voice trembles out again, a raw and terrible sound. For a moment he looks like something, someone else — like the soldier he would have been in Grandfather never died. Muscle stands out against the strange, thin architecture of his body and like this they are opposed: the beast in armor and the ghost built of spiracles and glass. He digs in his haunches and he stills, stills, and his tail hurts as if it bleeds though he knows, knows he isn't bleeding. Something in his eyes narrows, cold and immediate, as he looks on the monster. Slowly, Caneo stalks forward, and it isn't menace in his gait but it is — something.

“Oh no,” he says, too sweetly and too sharp, a joke and an insult at once. Caneo's gaze searches the grass erratically. Every inch of him calls come back. What sort of fool abandons his heart to a place like this? If he were lucid, if he were self-aware, he might be laughing at himself, for here was where he left Tandavi, too.

But he is not laughing.

“Do you kill big things, too?” Caneo wonders, one ear tilting back. “Or just the little ones?” (come back) He wonders if it is distracted by him. He has never been a shield, but this feels less like shielding and more like.... preservation. His other ear comes forward, and he halts. His heart still beats.

In the grass, near the creature's front legs, the part of him down small upon the ground recoils. She was intrepid a moment ago, but now she bleeds a little from one end, her perfect armor torn, her serrated body tired and fearful and so very alive with the shadow of death still on her. The distant isn't so great, but she is very small; her silver one seems an eternity away.

robby shulz @ flickr.com

@Aquila
I'm so glad you did! Your post was perfect :) Let me know if mine is confusing; I'm tired and sorta sick but I wanted to write it anyway.

Do not tag Caneo unless you are starting a new thread you would like me to see! Thank you!

Aquila
The small snake coils, hisses, writhes around the bladed edge of her horn. Though her aim isn’t true; she had sought to cleave the insulting dragon-snake in half, yet managed only to slice through its tail. Bright aqua and yellow eyes narrow, horn lifting and re-angling to silence the small snake forever—

But then a sound, as ferocious as a lion but as tender as a cub, jerks her head up and stiffens her body into a defensive crouch. Her ears stay pinned amid her ridges, though her face-fins flare and vibrate in warning as her eyes snap up to focus on whatever approached.

A man, tall but gaunt with a silver hide filled with bones rather than muscle, approached with the same hesitant menace of the lion-cub growl he made. His eyes are slanted and sharp, and blue; but a blue of the sky rather than the sea, like her own narrowed stare.

Her head raises slightly as she finds the small dagger on his horn to be… wanting. It is short, though seemed sharp, but would require close quarters and shrewd handling to deal truly damaging blows. And this man… again her eyes sweep his bony, angular frame. A warrior’s confidence lacks from his stance, and his words (a scaled ear swings forward to catch them) are not threatening. His gaze drops from her and searches the grass, further telling her that he is not a fighter. A warrior would not dare drop their eyes from a crouched opponent.

So her fins tuck into her jaw and her posture relaxes slightly; though not entirely, for she is a warrior and forever ready to attack. “Do you kill big things, too?” His questions sink into the air between them, and her head subtly cocks. “I have killed big things, great kalmarojotes,” one of its arms were twice the size of an Akvian; it was larger and grander than anything she had yet seen wander the soil of the Helovia. “And I have killed fiŝojitos to eat,” her throaty voice answered his question simply, unblinking eyes staring at the man. “Do you not?”

kalmarojotes = giant squids
fiŝojitos = small fishes
"... in a single day and night of misfortune, the island of Atlantis disappeared into the depths of the sea."
credit

@Caneo Sorry for the delay! <3

Now, he doesn't really expect the monster to speak. If his head were clear instead of corrupted by the raw fear beating through the snake, Caneo would never have approached. He's half terror though, blind and sacrificial. Triumph arches through him when those blue eyes peel from the ground and up toward him, even if her gaze is severe. Even if it finds him wanting. He's distracted her enough to keep his two lives for the moment. That's what matters. That, and he's a fool — but he knows this.

Lighty, the silver stallion steps forward again, his long neck bending downward, tilting just slightly. Not quite insane enough to pick the snake up with his teeth, he offers her the usual perch of his horn. Feebly, she finds him and reaches up to it, her latter half trailing. Then, reunited, he steps back sharply, his tail a whip behind him, his eyes sharp and nervous as they haven't been in such a very long time (it hurts). He dares not investigate the wound too carefully while the.... thing.... still stands there. He just tilts his head the other way, helping his friend back into his forelock, and across one side of his brow and through the silver threads of his forelock, she leaves a trail of dark blood.

“No,” he tells the mare when he does speak. Her words weren't lost on him, though her boasting about murder draws forth no impression of awe. It does explain.... well, a little. Caneo's usually lovely features crease with irritation. He thinks about running away, but has no desire to be chased, and too often the act of flight draws predators afterward — like an instinct. He's trapped. “I'm not a hunter,” he says instead. “Just a spy. For the Dragon's Throat. We have a lot of warriors there, if you're looking for something to fight.”

robby shulz @ flickr.com

@Aquila sorry this post is a little lackluster. Haven't written him in a while.

Aquila
Her lean, plated body tenses as he takes another step towards her. Not because she feels threatened, but because she is forever ready to attack. Her bright, unblinking eyes of aqua and yellow sharpen on the man and all his soft, fleshy points. Helovians, these land-dwellers, were so… soft. Even the battle-hardened ones. Her thoughts turn to the dark, skulled demon she had battled. Even though he had soundly beat her, his soft skin and flesh and carved easily beneath her teeth and bladed horn.

Her face-fins flare out once, in an habitual movement to warn the man out of her space. She was not one for touching. She did not like other near her. She preferred a large range of singularity, with no one in her vicinity. Her stare follows the stoop of his neck, and then she blinks once as the snake she sought to cleave in half slithers up his face, leaving a trail of dark blood in its wake. The red with vibrant against his silver forehead, a morbid baptism marking his skin.

She snorts at his denial of killing. It is not derision, merely dismissal. He would not be able to provide for an Akvian family, then. Nor would he protect the city. Thus, to the mare, he was not useful. He fit no purpose, instead deflecting her warrior-attentions onto the warriors of the Dragon’s Throat. Her ridged brows twitch along with her tail, a low rattle filling the air for a few moments, before she answers him, “I have been to the Dragon’s Throat’s beaches. It surrounded by the sea.” Her throaty voice is almost wistful, but returns to it’s harsh and no-nonsense words with the next sentence, “But I do not seek a fight, now. I seek to patrol.” And, with a slight jerk of her scaled, striped jaw, she turns to continue across the Meadow.
credit

I just wanted to wrap this up, since Caneo is AA'ed <3