the Rift

[PRIVATE] your graceful youth never lasts

Sikeax the Sea Soul Posts: 355
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16 hh :: 5 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Hobgoblin :: Common Rougarou :: Water & Seoul :: Plain White Dragon :: Toxic Breath Zuno
Sikeax
“You no good.”
I’m sorry.
“Hurt.”

His voice feels like a gift in the dark. Cool water hangs around her body, a thin blanket that laps at her damp skin when she forces it to swell in it’s enclosure. Hobgoblin had complained that it was cold when he attempted to sink into her alongside her body and had swiftly chosen on the pastime of wandering nearly aimlessly through the caves. She guesses that it has been some time since she has felt the violence of the Sun against her. In the darkness, guided only by the faint light of drawings on the walls above the pool she presses herself deeper into and the withering, dying flowers that glow with their fading gasps, there is nothing to tell between the transition of the Moon and the Sun.
She chooses not to care about it. Underground, she could lock herself away for weeks on end and avoid the surface, speaking to those that venture in on occasion. The glowing food doesn’t even upset her stomach at this point, and with the vast amount of foods from the glowing room that she has so greedily thrown into her stomach, it’s a surprise her droppings don’t glow with it.
“Bored. Hungry. Chest hurt.”
I apologize.
“Miss home.”

Heavy with the emotions that she has spent hours working over in her head, her heart sinks like a stone in the sea. Age should wear down the features on their faces. It fills up the empty spaces in his skull like the liquid that rolls from her eyes, bleeding oceans that steadily turn into rivers. How many times has she cried while thinking? Hobgoblin’s hunger pains her stomach, or quite possibly it belongs to herself. It returns without effort til she cannot stand both the intense need and her brother’s complaints.
She rises from the water as if she is aged and a part of the stone itself. The droplets that reach for scared hands with panic-filled speed kiss her one more time before huddling into one another and falling to home in thinning streams. A shiver runs through her like a ghost.
Hobgoblin watches with the aged eyes he can’t place in this body. Not a word, not a single feeling of his soul and emotions except for her sadness. It loops through them like blood in veins and arteries, returning to Sikeax’s ruined heart to be exchanged for more.
Go ahead. The plant room. You can go above if you’d like, but there’s probably still some mice and fish in the river.
Silence keeps its blank face in the room as they fall in step beside one another. No lashes are exchanged, no rides given to a partner(Hobgoblin) when their body feels the slightest hint of being tired.
Once in the room, they break apart like two perfect puzzle pieces, meant to hold one another with tight embraces and yet to easily slip away as if to be a pair of strangers.
For her, the water welcomes her better than any lover, the moss littered about the edges giving itself away to her teeth with no restraint. She tries to close her eyes and deafen out everything when the shrill, gut-wrenching cries of death take up the empty space and ebb away the feeling of hunger.

"talk talk talk"
"blue eyes and wandering lips
true lies with fingertips
hidden tales of forbidden love
you left me miserable "
/ image

@Kid

you were angels,
so much more than everything

:: please tag me
:: minor force and power play allowed

Kid Posts: 122
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Colt :: Equine :: 15hh :: 3 years HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
dark
kid
There are few places I have explored (or explored extensively). In the time I've existed I've managed to map out Helovia and the general landmarks within its borders. And although I've explored each land vaguely (given it a once over, merely passed it by, etc), I have never actually delved too deeply into the exploration of them— haven't taken the time to map out the lands to the fullest extent. In the beginning I had reason for it, Mother and her agitation when I spent too much time away from her was enough to compel me to return home— that and I couldn't leave Sabre alone with her, I felt guilty each time I would return to see Sabre sulking and Mother triumphantly bloodied. Now that Mother is the one sullen and blue and Sabre has been swallowed up by the passing of time, I have no reason to return before the moon peeks over the treeline.

Today I've decided (at random) to go deep into the ominous, wailing caves nearest Helovia's bubbling magma pit. I've only ventured so far into them, in pursuit of Sabre (ow) when we were at the ripe age of what— three months? Whatever the case, it was long ago, on a day where my memory should have faded into nothing, melded into the continuous thundering of charcoal hooves against my sides.

Quiet hoofsteps cascade down the passageway as I make my way down, descending into the underworld with my lips pursed and ears alert. As brave as I am, there is still a hesitant caution to the way I ease myself into the underground (perhaps that's it). The uneasiness in my stomach makes me careful to watch my step, mismatched hooves clicking over slick stone as I travel farther in. The roaring sound of a waterfall overwhelms my senses as I pass by one gaping entrance, head swinging that way to witness the awe inspiring wonder of a hidden cavern.

Vegetation grows over the cold, damp stone, my hooves yearning to tread upon such familiar earth. So there I go, a silent king taking his rounds through a foreign kingdom, pacing through the room with subtle awe in my eyes. Bubblegum catches on something (amber champagne), a familiar body drifting into my line of sight. A faint blue glow basks over the area where her head lingers, champagne body bringing a subconscious sense of safety to my mind as I make my way towards her. I recall that night so clearly, the moment when I stumbled into her embrace and let her kiss away my pain— the scars are still there, standing out against my skin against a sea of such smaller, less significant etchings. "It's you," is all I can manage, the words exhaled from my lips with something genuinely sweet (wow)— my entire body sighs out with the release of those words, bubblegum alight with something akin to happiness as I see her.

"Talk."
the boy king
image credits

@Sikeax

made by reli

tag me in everything

Hobgoblin :: Common Rougarou :: Water & Seoul :: Plain White Dragon :: Toxic Breath Zuno

SIKEAX
i never said i'd stay to the end

Hooves click against the cold, hard ground, their soft whispers filtering in the humid air. They mix with a thousand others: the gentle song of a waterfall pouring water into the pond that she now rests in, the sound of water moving with her when she finds herself becoming uncomfortable, the sound of bones crunching dully as Hobgoblin devours a mouse he has found. It seems to fit well into this musical of life.
Her heart cannot comfortably harbor the presence of someone else today. If someone was to come to her dying, crying out her name, she would not be able to heal them. Today, she is not fully the modern Sikeax, more of a shell of her past self that feels that from time to time that it is okay to make a comeback.
Maybe it’s better that she’s not in the Dragon’s Throat.
Yet while she may choose to be dull and lifeless, Hobgoblin strives to be different, always her opposite. He is vibrant, and as the blood in his mouth fades away, the new being in the room catches his attention wholly.
Don’t do anything.
His head is already breaching the hanging vines, glowing flowers wrapping around his antlers as he stares with curious eyes. Soft words flutter from the boy’s lips, and at that, he knows who this is.
“Skullface son. Zhu brother.”
Water sloshes as her head rises, mane now wet and dripping from its soak. Her attention has peaked as her eyes sweep the room, settling on a boy that is slowly escaping his time as a boy. He isn’t as small as she remembers him to be. Muscles fill him in in places that she now sees needed them, and finally, past the obvious skull marking across his features, can she make out the connection that she had previously questioned.
This is indeed Zhu’s brother, whether she wants to accept it or not. Volterra seemed stupid enough to father as much children as he could manage, but the more that she found, the more she questioned his parenting abilities. Zhu was gone, Tyrath seemed to fade as he made his way towards adulthood, this is the last Volterra child that she feels she will have any sort of connection with.
She will not be the one to clean up his messes only because she has birthed one of his children, raised two, and rescued three.
Hobgoblin forces out a noise that she can only define as a greeting of sorts. His vocal cords are distorted in this form, and the outcome of it is near constant silence that is breathtakingly unsettling, and while she could live without the unwelcome wail of almost demonic sorts, its a harsh reminder that her brother is still himself, regardless of who he chooses to morph himself into.
She is staring now, clinging her blues to his pinks. Her body doesn’t dare to leave the pool though. “Hobgoblin says hello.” The voice that slips from between her lips is a soft whisper, cascading against the fading hum of the seemingly distancing waterfall.
“Name Kid.”
The boy?
“Yes.”

Every part of her hangs to him now. He’s caught her attention, brought her back to reality, drawn her away from her emotions. She can feel herself turn the same stone over and over again, looking for the exact way to form her next words.
“He’s telling me you’re Zhu’s brother.” Possibly her words are too quickly set on getting to a new subject. She hasn’t been polite. Hobgoblin is strolling her direction, dragging vines and glowing flowers with him as he goes. The sight of it should be enough to make her smile, but it doesn’t.
He sheds their petals and bodies atop her, watching as she recoils as they fall, hanging over her head. She frees herself of them as he folds his legs beside her, tucking himself into the moss and stone. His eyes don’t search out the boy anymore.
One look is given to her brother before she turns to the boy, named Kid, - such an odd name to give your child. It dons on her that possibly it would be polite to embrace him again, as she had once done. Volterra has caused them a connection that they don’t particularly require, but she feels bound to her duties. “Would you like to join us?”
Maybe talking will be easier then, without the distance between them.

songs about happiness, murmured in dreams,
when both us knew how the end always is

image credit

you were angels,

dark
kid
"Thank you," I murmur, head stooping and ears sliding back as I offer my gratitude. "That night you healed me, thank you." It's only a moment of softer syllables, lips unsure of how to form those two simple words (thank you)— I'd never truly been thankful for anything in my life. There was nothing to be thankful for. I was always given shit, why should I be thankful for that (I'm not)?

The mention of Zhu has my face twisting up, ears flattening and stomach churning. Zhu. He's been gone (waiting), and as much as I'd like to say fuck him, I don't care, there's that little ember of shitty familial love. For Sabre it's a wildfire, a desperate need to find her and bring her back home, to show her Volterra and teach her the language (Hungarian) I so choppily speak. With Zhu it's more of a need to prove something (what?). What will I prove? What do I want to prove? Who am I trying to prove anything to? Volterra. Colt. Everyone.

I don't want to be seen as weak and small, as something unfortunate— an insignificant piece in a strong family, I am the weakest link. I am fighting against it, trying to work my way out of this pit I've been forced in to. Fuck it. I'm not going to be called a child, a boy, a weak baby. That time is over, it's time for me to stand up (fuck you, Mother) and prove my worth.

The mention of my brother makes my mouth bitter, tail flickering against a brindled thigh— "Yeah." Observant, passive. I look to the ghastly deer and its dragging flora, draped over the pale figure like he's the focus of an aesthetic picture (I should be the focus, honestly). Hobgoblin, the familiar companion who had been by Zhu's side when we'd met in the forest months ago— he'd mentioned that he was his mother's (I just didn't realize that this is his mother). I didn't expect his mother to be her, the woman who'd guided me through a night of

"You're his mom," I state the obvious just to throw it out there in the open, to let it still in the air and gradually grow stale. So she had a little affair with Volterra as well (it seems everyone has)— how does he manage it? How does he jump mare to mare, careless on whether nature has taken its course and he's (once again) a father? My face remains still, lips tight, even as I grimace at the idea of having countless siblings to go up against (who will take it all?). Even though Zhu and I were very close in age, the number of Volterra's successful hits was countless. Perhaps there were even more children than anyone knew about? Somewhere hidden among hundreds of others, there are more children carrying Volterra's blood.

I look to her face, washed with a clam blue glow that cascades from her horn. She is the one who inspired my rebellion, the tedious avoidance of Mother's relentless teachings— with her help I began to change, I forgot the learned disgust and hatred towards other species and let something new settle there. I wasn't going to listen to Mother's angry rants about the reason we have to hate those of a different breed, tuning out and nodding mindlessly along as she ranted. I've long since forgotten the sickening feeling I would force myself into upon sight of a horn or wings, deciding that there was much more to see and focus on than the difference between species. This mare had been only the beginning.

"Yes, I unfortunately am." I confirm the obvious, knowing that she (and Hobgoblin, the weird fucker) already knew that Zhu and I shared blood. Bubblegum lingers on her features, seeking out subtle changes and minor details. "I am not the only one, there's a growing number of Volterra spawn parading around Helovia. My sister and I were only the first, Zhu seemed to follow not long after." This likely isn't news to her, because who doesn't know how big of a ho Volterra is?

I watch her sink deeper into the pool she's been standing in, eyes caught on the rippling of the water as her scarred body slips closer to the surface. I take silent steps forward, lacking hesitance in my stride until I reach the lip of the pool, mismatched hooves clicking against stone and sinking into moss. I linger here at the edge, watching the water soak her hide as she relaxes. "Sure." I take the first step into the pool, taking a moment to adjust my smaller body until finally I can slip down into a position mirroring the unicorn's. The water darkens my coat, brindling blending with the dark hair of my thigh as I relax into the position. "How did someone as nice as yourself produce something like Zhu?" It's spoken lightly, a playful beginning to a conversation— my relationship with most adults is distant and quiet, always serious and indifferent. It was never so closely personal, not in the way this one was, the way she'd held me while I sobbed and fretted over returning to mother— no one else had ever taken that daring step into my personal space (into my life).

"Talk."
the boy king
image credits

@Sikeax

made by reli

tag me in everything

SIKEAX
i never said i'd stay to the end

The more she listens to him speak with words that have never really been spoken to her before, - “thank you, for bringing me away from pain,” - the more her heart twists shut and hurts in response. No one has ever been so kind to her. No one ever cares to think about thanking their healers, about the amount of effort and time that must be put into doing such a difficult job. She almost wants to say that it is harder than that of a warrior’s because it requires effort and determination without flaw, “strength,” Hobgoblin whispers into her mind, but that would be an insult, wouldn’t it? There is a social hierarchy with your rank, and healers do not sit as high and mighty as the warriors do.
“Dear,” she knows his name but it feels more fitting to give him some sort of term of endearment. Kid meant something to her, but what, she wasn’t sure just yet. “I would do it today, tonight, and every other night and day in the future if you needed it. I’d do anything to make sure you’re safe.” Her words flutter like butterfly wings while she speaks. Hobgoblin strolls past the growing boy without even the turn of an eye, shedding petals and vines as he steps. The remainder are spread across Sikeax as he shakes them free from himself, and despite the watching eyes, shifts into his Serval form.
His body fits well into place when it sinks into her side, snuggling, purring softly. Displays of affection like these are rare and if he doesn’t care enough for him to do so in front of the boy, then it must be a sign.
Kid fits into their odd little family like a broken puzzle piece, not perfectly falling into its place, but enough that the puzzle can build around him and accept him as a part of it. That’s what Kid’s importance is to her. Another son, another one that she’s grown unintentionally attached to.
A nod is given in return to his statement. Yes, she is the one who birthed Zhu, regardless of their extreme differences, but she cannot meld her child into her liking. No one can do that, because children have souls and minds and bodies all of their own that want to live their own unique lives and become their own person through their accomplishments and experiences. Zhu was never her’s to build, but at least when he is brought up, she can say that she tried to make him into something to be proud of.
Not that she isn’t proud of him. Zhu has turned into a boy with his own ideals and sometimes Hobgoblin fills her in on the things that Zhu has told him, things like how he wants to become a king without his father’s hand in it, how he wants to be known for something on his devotion. He makes her heart swell with warmth and love, her lips draw into soft, weak smiles.
He’s a perfect son, in all of his own ways.
“I am. It doesn’t look like it, does it?” She pushes out a low laugh, thinking about how her son was fast to turn into the dark behemoth that his father was. He was so proud and brave, smart despite the appearance he gave. He was even better at controlling his emotions compared to his mother, but possibly that is a good thing. It won’t cloud him. “He takes after his father more than he does me, but yes, I carried him and gave birth to him and raised him while he still let me.” That last line seems like an odd thing to say, but it’s true. He never really wanted assistance in his growth, and assured that her hand played little in his making other than the basics.
She barely changes at the confirmation he gives her. She has never been an idiot, always searching out clues and details that most would overlook just to get by in life, to make sure that pain and suffering aren’t lingering around the next corner. Possibly it comes out of her own raising, but there isn’t a true way to tell. It always gets her in the end, blindsided at the right time for maximum destruction of her emotional state .
All that she can do for now is draw her eyes away from his. Hobgoblin presses further into her stomach and water creeps onto both of them.
“I’m aware. There’s two more in the Throat: Tyrath and Astarot. I don’t think he thinks before he beds women. He’ll do anything to please himself, but he’s too childish to deserve it.” Ears droop at the women he’s chosen to carry his children. One who beats her children, one who cannot readily shoulder the weight of her son’s distaste and hatred, his cold heart a boulder atop her glued-back-together glass one, ugly, trying to be warm and welcoming as it breaks away at itself, another who doesn’t even care about her fucking son because HOW does a woman who dares to pride herself in calling herself a mother just leave her son out in the desert to die, and one who might just be the best of them, one she doesn’t have much to say on but guesses is well off as a mother.
Teeth sink her damp hide and glaze skin, a tail slapping her hips and stomach as she thinks. Kid has decided to join them, and for that, she’s thankful.
When his body is near to her’s, she extends her muzzle, searching out for a shoulder or a piece of mane or anything, looking for a place to quietly groom him as he speaks.
He starts off the conversation with something she has never expected. It reaches into her chest and tears holes like she’s open-ribbed as a wraith, snatching her heart and squeezing it shut. She doesn’t let the pain wash over her, but her ears sag in response. Hobgoblin’s head raises from his lazily, half-assed slumber, yellow eyes sinking back into sleep, searching out her face. A need to know overtakes him.
“Okay?”
I don’t know.
“Hobgoblin save?”

The idea of Hobgoblin lashing out and attacking Kid out of Sikeax’s wounds makes her sink. She’d be just as bad as anyone else if she let him do that without stopping him. The odd feeling that sometimes comes in her bones right before he changes shape draws itself up, but doesn’t go any further, as if to wait for cue.
I’ll be fine.
His head dips back down, never fully returning to sleep, large ears held up to listen to every bit of their conversation.
A long sigh breaks the quiet. “I don’t know if you’ll understand, but you can’t control what other people become. Zhu isn’t mine to make, he’s his own person. I did try though, to make sure he was polite and had manners.” Her voice creeps out of her like the waves touch the beach down on her island home: soft, lazily, a feeling of discomfort that is difficult to place a real finger on. “Sometimes as a parent, you have to let your children be what they want to be. That’s what I did with him. I don’t strongly approve of what he’s becoming, but I’m proud of him and nothing will stop me from loving him and feeling that way.”
She hopes it makes some sort of sense because after that, there could be no other way to word it. That was just the way it was, and the way it would be.

OOC: Hobgoblin turns into his serval form when mentioned.

songs about happiness, murmured in dreams,
when both us knew how the end always is

image credit

@Kid

you were angels,

dark
kid
"Dear," she says. Dear— she begins, like I am a child of her womb, the fruit of her loins. Like I am someone she has known for ages, someone she has loved and formed a delicately close relationship to (I am not). I am nothing but a tired, broken boy she found stumbling through Helovia in distress, a soul to comfort while my blood stained my coat and my knees trembled. Dear, she says to me like I am her son, her pride and joy. Dear.

What have I done to deserve this love?

I crumble (once again) beneath her, a soft exhale that I'd been holding for too long— keeping it all in for months. I gaze into the gentle blue of her eyes, reminiscent of my rare trips to the sandy beach, when the waves were calm and cool against my burning temper. She is everything I've never had, all the maternal kindness and care that I was never given. None of those comfortable nights spent being adored and fed and praised, being cherished. There was always fear and aggression, rationed food and demanding training for a child whose milk teeth had only just grown in. There was never a tender second, never a precious moment shared between mother and child— the only bonding I ever did was take her blows and dare not cry.

The words reach my lips hesitantly, shoulders hunched as I gaze down at the cavern floor. I can hear the roaring of the waterfall, drowning out my thoughts (it's deafening).  "But why? I- I've never done anything for you— I don't deserve your kindness." (Your pity) When I speak, the words are hushed and almost swallowed up by the rushing water echoing through the cave, the fact that I'm whispering to the stone beneath my feet and not the woman before me. "Really, I'm nothing worth fretting over." My voice cracks, jumping in pitch as I tell her that I'm none of her concern. I'm not her son, she doesn't need to worry about my well being (if she does she'll have grey hair before the start of next season). I'm not worth it.

Had I been feeling like my normal, cocky self, I would have easily told her that I don't need her care. That she can shove off and live her life away from me, but I don't say that— not to her (to someone else, perhaps I would have). Instead I crumble, because I do need her, I need someone. I have lived my life with no one, with a flickering image of Sabre held close to my chest, a hint of affection towards the previously stiff and cold Nymeria— but nothing more (no one else). It has always been just me, myself and I. No one has been here to voice concern for my well being, to make sure I'm okay, that I am not facing any danger or struggling to smile. Perhaps nobody cares enough for that, turning a blind eye as my wounds bleed and eyes fall to the ground beneath me. I look to her, this saviour of mine, a guardian angel here to keep me safe, and I smile. It's as genuine as it gets from a child like me, with tears bubbling to the surface as I fail at blinking them away. "But thank you," I offer, hesitant and choppy as I turn my head away (I have to keep some of my angst).

I snort when she mentions Zhu being more like Volterra— I wonder if he'd take that as a compliment or an insult? Knowing Zhu, he may just see that as a restriction, something binding him to our shared parent and keeping him rooted where he is, associating him with us. He seems very keen on staying away from the family, on building his own name and reputation (have fun with that, Zhu).

"He and Volterra are far from similar, all they share is black hide and brute strength." I tell her, recalling the bitterness of Zhu's voice, the distance he puts between himself and the world around him— he is ice cold and glory, sober shadows and savagery, he is unrestricted, a determined boy set on achieving greatness without help. But he's also an arrogant shithead, and someone (me?) needs to knock him off his high horse (says the boy whose living on the moon), to tell him that trying to claw his way to victory without help is a great way to waste time. Volterra, although he may appear outwardly strong and resilient, blunt and unforgiving— he has (as Nym told me) a tendency to wear his heart on his sleeve, he is an idiot who cannot understand that putting your dick where it doesn't belong (seriously that's nasty) is going to have some consequences. Volterra doesn't fully grasp the responsibility of fatherhood, that as a parent he's supposed to be there for his (many) current children, not off making more.

So she does know of Astarot and Tyrath, ears falling back at hearing that they too resided in the Throat (did Volterra solely seek out women of the Throat?), a place I could not reach. I feel that I shouldn't care about my siblings (they are solely obstacles), but knowing the pain of being so alone, I just couldn't. Where are their mothers (are they with them?), are they kind to them? "Can you keep an eye on them for me? I know Volterra won't, he may say he will but I don't believe him. You're the only other person I know in the Throat aside from Zhu and I don't know where his edgy ass is. Even if I did I know he wouldn't do anything for me." I shrug my shoulders, trying not to look agitated at the fact that Zhu was unfortunately indeed following in Volterra's steps and disappearing into the same limbo he had been in for the initial eight months of my life.

Her lips seek out a piece of me, planted to my shoulder and grooming me carefully as we lie together in the pool. She's quiet, and so am I as the waterfall roars beside us and Hobgoblin nestles against her— it's peaceful, serene and fulfilling to simply lay down for a moment and soak. This is something I've never had the chance to enjoy, something I have never done (when have I ever been able to relax?), although  my body continues to twitch and fidget (a habit I've come to develop) despite the calm.

She draws away and takes her time in explaining that I cannot change people to fit my needs, and my ears fall and lip curls. "I know that I cannot change him, I'm not trying to, nor do I want to. The time and effort that would take is far beyond what I have." I snort at the idea of Zhu being polite and well-mannered (he's a little big shit is what he is), wondering if her attempts at teaching him to be kind went in one ear and out the other— he's certainly never been kind to me (there's obviously several reasons behind that). I look over her as she speaks, telling me she will be proud of him no matter how he turns out, my stomach twisting as I think of pride— how Mother has never expressed it towards me (she has and never will be proud of me, will she?) "I understand very well that parents cannot control what their children become, unfortunately sometimes they don't. And the child is the one who suffers for it, who pays for their ignorance." My spine crawls, scarred flesh itching at the mention of all of Mother's attempts of changing me "for the better." Maybe this is why Sabre is gone, perhaps she ran away because the pressures of Mother's expectations were too much— but she wouldn't run (she's too stubborn) and she certainly wouldn't leave me, would she?

"Talk."
the boy king
image credits

@Sikeax

made by reli

tag me in everything