the Rift

[PRIVATE] Find a Way [Lyanna]

Apollo the Merciful Posts: 251
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 11 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zola :: Black Cat :: None Sparrow

And I don't want the world to see me
'Cause I don't think that they'd understand

Wanderlust was not an emotion that Apollo was adept at handling. Normally he was content within the boundaries of the Hidden Falls, content with being among familiar friends, family, but lately... Lately, something had pulled at his heart, urging him to leave behind the protective borders of his home and strike off on his own with only Zola as his company. Only temporarily, of course, for he had every intention on returning.

First, he had ventured to the Deep Forest, greeting the trees that grew alive and prospered in the crisp Birdsong season. He checked up on the wise and ancient fir tree, ensuring its health and beauty, eyes momentarily catching the shades of the ruby red stones nestled beneath the pond at the fir's grand trunk. Apollo recalled the stone he had given Lyanna, the kindred mare he had encountered many suns past, and the memory drew a gentle smile to the Merciful's lips. He bid the wise fir good day and sent up a prayer to Father Earth for its continued good health, then continued on his way.

From there, he travels brought him to achingly familiar sandy beaches, and the unnerving sound of crashing waves along granulated shores. By the time he had reached his destination, the sun was setting across the Endless Blue, creating a tapestry of colors in the sky. Oranges, pinks, reds, and purples, all blended in the sky to create an image worthy of a epic poem... But Apollo was not good with words, nor was he terribly poetic, and so the monochromatic stag was content to meander across the shoreline, keeping a vast distance for the grasping, reaching waves that just begged to pull him under.

He was not such a fool to forget what had happened on these very shores...

Had it truly been so long ago? That he and Phaedra had fought the monstrous Kraken in these very waters? Had fought a pack of feral wolves on the beach? They had almost lost their lives, almost crushed, drown, and torn asunder by wolves, and...

"... And she still lost hers." He had loved her, once upon a time, wholly and completely... But he had loved many others just as wholly, just as deeply and completely, only for that love to be unrequited. Only for death to greedily snatch them from his life. It seemed that death was all that followed Apollo the Merciful, and he felt unworthy of the vivacious life that he continued to be blessed with. Was it a punishment? A curse?

Upon his withers, Zola let out a small, distressed sound. No, no... Not a curse, Apollo; a blessing.

A blessing of life.

She was right. Life was a blessing, and was not to be wasted.

A tired smile lit up Apollo's handsomely aging features, honey-brown eyes brightening despite the melancholy mood that so swiftly sunk into his bones. Ears perked forward, his head lifted a little higher, and with a swish of an ebony tail, the overo stallion turned to continue his leisurely stroll across the white sands of the shoreline.

A blessing of life, indeed.

When everything's made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am

@Lyanna

I Just Want You To Know Who I Am

Please Tag Apollo in All Posts!

Lyanna the Windswept Posts: 313
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 11 | dam: 4.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 5 years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

That is the thing she so often forgets. To live is a blessing. To live is everything. She mourns her family every day, and in doing so, she does not live. But she must. If not for her (though it should be for her), for them. Because they cannot. Because their lives were cut unfairly short. Because for some reason, the gods above (whoever they were exactly, the gods here are not the ones she once knew) decided to let her live.

It seems like too tall an order, if she really thinks about it. Too tall an order to live when others die. Too tall an order to make something of herself when she was never born to be anything but a puppet. She no longer has to be a puppet. No longer has to pretend to love because it forms an alliance. No longer has to go where she is told or say what she is told or be anyone but herself.

It is too much to be herself. She doesn’t even know who she is. No one ever gave her the chance to find out.

Though she is learning. She is kinder than she thought, more forgiving when it comes to others than her family. She enjoys healing, and she enjoys wandering (she leaves the Edge now more because it is pleasant to fly than because she doesn’t know what else to do), and she will always be missing a part of her soul without the wind. She cannot replace her family, cannot truly replace her powers, but she can try to move on.

Today, she’s simply gone for a flight. No particular reason behind it, other than it was an exceptionally lovely evening and sometimes it was fun to fly into the sunset. Sometimes she likes to pretend she can reach those colors, can paint herself in the rainbow of the sunset. There are times she has tried, but with no more success than chasing the ghosts of her path.

The sea glistens a sunset kaleidoscope back at her as she passes over the beach. Not a place she frequents often, but one she has passed numerous times. She’s grown familiar with the landscape, but still, she finds herself dipping closer, getting to know it just a bit better.But it’s not the endless sea or the crashing waves of the enormous setting sun that catches her eye. It’s a stallion with a blue horn and a cat on his back.

Oh.

She’s begun to believe she would never see him again, that their meeting was nothing more than chance. That maybe he’d simply been a gift sent by the gods to remind her that life was worth living. But no, he’s really here. Really in front of her. She can’t help but glance down at the ruby that now hangs from a gold chain around her neck, feeling almost sheepish for it. But it seemed such a waste of a perfectly good ruby not to wear it. And besides, she enjoyed the reminder of its giver.

She lands some distance away, closing the space between then on foot and with a nicker, so as not to startle him or Zola. “Apollo,” she says, her voice soft in the dying light. It seemed wrong to speak loudly, as if she might somehow disturb the natural progress of the world of the beauty of the moment. Not that she could ever have such great an impact on anything. “It’s good to see you.”

watch how i soar.

lyanna

@Apollo ...I should be doing things, but I was too excited and couldn't wait

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Kiki

Company was the last thing that he expected to be receiving, especially here.

The steady, rhythmic sound of pumping wings caught the overo's attention and his gaze lifted skywards, honey-brown eyes searching for the individual responsible for the noise. A dark form loomed overhead, wingspan wide and arced, cresting downwards as though they were anticipating a landing. The sight of them caused Apollo's brows to furrow in thought. Who was it?

But the winged creature went about a steady, nimble landing that Apollo couldn't imagine he could ever pull off, and it was then that he got a truly good look at the pegasus who had joined him.

'Apollo.' The statement of his name fell from dainty lips, that voice coming from that beautifully crafted, feminine face, and the Merciful's chest felt far lighter than it had moments before. 'It's good to see you.'

Lyanna.

She looked just as he remembered; dark as the night save her elegant ivory markings, and her two-toned locks. Just as youthful, just as splendid, her eyes shimmering in that same shade of beautiful teal, but something caught him off guard. There it was. Wrapped about her delicate neck was a golden chain, and attached to that was the crimson stone that he had gifted her at their meeting in the Deep Forest. Something about seeing that stone chained so intimately close to her ebonite breast caused a swelling of emotion to rise in the overo's chest.

She had kept it...? It was such an absurd thought, but it meant far more to Apollo than perhaps Lyanna could fathom. Few of his friends, aside from the former members of the Grey, would have done the same, and for a moment the black and white stag was struck so surprised that he couldn't utter a word.

Zola, however, took that opportunity of a greeting from him and boldly -- for Zola never left the safe height of her customary perch upon his back -- leaped down from his withers and darted towards the winged mare. She moved swiftly across the white sands, a black streak amidst a white backsplash, moving boldly despite not having eyes and instead used the vision provided by her still dumbfounded bond-mate. Upon reaching Lyanna despite their close distance, the black cat stepped up towards the mare's right leg and rubbed herself against the appendage, an action that was so out of character and surprising that Apollo found himself with a second surprise for the day.

'It's Lyanna! Apollo! It's really her!'

Deciding it was terribly un-gentlemanly of him to be standing, silent, like a fool and spurred by his bonded's ecstatic mental shouting, Apollo cleared his throat and moved closer, tail swishing lazily against his hocks and a jovial, boyish smile lighting up his features. "Zola has missed you terribly, Lyanna... As have I." Closing the distance between them, the Merciful stallion offered his muzzle for greeting to bump against Lyanna's own, breathing in her familiar, earthy scent, and the distinct smell of the World's Edge that clung to her. "It's so wondrous to see you again. How are you?"

Later, maybe, he would bring up the stone... But for now, he just wanted to ensure that she was well in her life with the Edge.

"Have you settled well within the World's Edge?"

@Lyanna

Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

She notices as his eyes catch sight of the ruby chained to her breast, kept close because it meant more than he could know to her. Because when everything was dark and bleak and miserable, he’d given her this. Perhaps it was small, perhaps it was silly, but it was something when she’d had absolutely nothing at all. And every day the ruby reminded her that maybe there was something worth living for. There were too many days when she was tempted to forget. Too many times when following her sister into oblivion seemed like the best option she had.

And then she remembered the ruby. And the stallion that gave it to her when no one else spared her a passing glance.

Slowly, things had begun to change in her life. Her herd finds her useful, she’s got a few mares that she might even consider friends. And Apollo was quickly becoming a memory. Not because she didn’t want him in her life, but simply because she wasn’t sure she’d ever be so lucky as to find him again. But even the memory of him was a powerful thing.

It’s amazing what one small gesture can do.

He doesn’t speak at first, but Zola does. Well, in her way. She leaps down from Apollo’s back, crossing the distance to Lyanna and wrapping around her leg. Lyanna smiles, a smile both soft and ecstatic. Lyanna dips her head toward Zola, offering her muzzle in greeting to the feline as best she can. “I’m glad to see you as well, Zola,” she says, a light laugh escaping her lips.

Apollo’s movement pulls her attention back up, and the smile on his face is enough to lift her spirits completely. She feels light in a way she hasn’t since her family was killed. Since she’d left Morham. For a moment, she can completely forget them. She returns the gesture of greeting, touching his muzzle with her own, finding the heat of the contact strangely enjoyable. In a way she might not have expected.

“I’ve been doing well. Better, certainly, than when I first arrived here.” she says, wondering just how much to admit. Would he run in the other direction if he knew just how much she’d changed her life? That she joined the healers in the Edge, been promoted, and hoped one day to earn healing magic of her own (something she once could have done, but never really took advantage of)?

But the truth is, she wants to tell him everything.

“I’ve settled in well. I joined the healers there, and was recently promoted to Apothecary in their ranks.” She thinks of that conversation only briefly, not wanting the memory of it to bring down her mood. She’d almost broken in front of Alysanne. Almost told the Doctor everything that had brought her to Helovia in the first place. But still, the story remained hers. Well, hers and Auriel’s, but she’d only told the girl because she’d been the only one to ask. And there were no details to that version of the story. Just the bare bones, enough to answer the question and no more.

“How have you been?” she asks, turning her attention away from the past. Turning her attention to the only future that matters. 

watch how i soar.

lyanna

@Apollo

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

Zola was thrilled. As Lyanna lowered her muzzle in greeting to the cat, the said feline reared up on her hind legs and bunted her tiny head against the winged mare's velvety muzzle, so very happy at her arrival. The mare's melodious vocals floated over her, soothing the kit, and even though she didn't understand what the pegasus female was saying, she knew that the words were special.

Special. Just like Lyanna, just like Apollo. Special.

When Lyanna moved to return his gentle touch, Apollo felt his heart soar. It was velvety warmth and gentleness all bundled into a simple action, and the Merciful stallion swallowed in a large lung-full of Lyanna's familiar, earthy scent, willing himself to never forget it. She was a dear friend, spurred by their similar love of life and secretive troubles, a friendship built on mutual understanding of one another despite the fact that they had only crossed paths once.

As much as he didn't want to pull back, Apollo did so, but did not allow much distance between them. The warmth from her affectionate caress lingered in his breast, warming his heart in ways that he hadn't felt in a long, long time. Ears sliding forward, soulful honey-brown eyes locked on the winged mare's own teal irises, the over stag listened with rapt attention as Lyanna recalled her life in the World's Edge since their last meeting.

Hearing that she had joined the ranks of the Apothecaries was enough to make his heart sore with happiness for her. Such a gentle soul she was, understanding and tenderly that a healing rank fit her like a glove.

"Wonderful," Apollo breathed out in genuine pleasure, a smile lighting up his boyish features, "Absolutely wonderful, Lyanna. I'm so happy for you. Congratulations." If he could he'd reach out to touch her again, simply because he wanted to... But the stallion remembered his manners, and not wanting to burst Lyanna's personal bubble, he remained where he was.

Upon the ground, Zola moved to stand back in front of Apollo's fore-hooves, perched there while her eyeless sockets 'stared' up at the two equines. She could feel the adoration and fondness within Apollo's breast, the emotions that not even the stallion himself understood. Or, he did understand them, but he was terrified to. Getting too close to others had left him heart-broken and a shell of his former self before, and it was clear that her bond-mate was terrified to make that same mistake.

How many that he had gotten to had died? Too many. So many. Enough to make Apollo terrified to delve into his deeply felt emotions.

When the ebonite pegasus asked him how he was, Apollo's expression softened. How was he? A little lonely, somewhat reclusive... A far cry from the devoted, gentle Chief he used to be. Still, he was alive. He was breathing... And he was with her.

"I'm very well, thank you," he murmured softly, gentle vocals loud enough to be heard over the sound of the crashing waves, "Much better for crossing paths with a dear friend, however." Honey-brown oculars once more glanced down to the gold chain, and ultimately the ruby that hung upon it, and his smile turned almost sheepish, shy, and hesitant.

"You kept it?" A simple question, but one that spoke volumes of his insecurities, uncertainties, and hopes that he hardly let himself feel. "It looks lovely. I-I don't believe it would look near as beautiful if you were not the one wearing it." A compliment. That was all that left his lips... Or was it?

Apollo didn't know anymore. He was scared to know, scared to get close, to dig into that emotion that he had locked so intimately inside of his heart because he was terrified to lose Lyanna, just as he had lost so many others...

@Lyanna

Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

When he pulls away, there’s a strange emptiness where his nose had been only moments before. The heat of their contact lingers though, a pleasant sensation that doesn’t entirely make sense. Except that the disappointment in her chest as he pulls away is clear, and she’s tempted to cross the distance and reach out for him again. But she doesn’t, because that wouldn’t be polite, and it would definitely be presumptious, and she’s still struggling to think that anyone can actually make her feel so okay. No,not just okay. Good. Whole.

Whole.

That was an idea she couldn’t even fathom. And perhaps, not entirely whole. It wasn’t possible to replace her parents or Corbin, and she would always miss them. How could she not? But it was possible to move on. It was possible, particularly with Zola and Apollo so close, to believe that this place might hold something for her. That not all was lost.

His response to her life in the Edge so far is even more encouraging, more genuine than she could have ever expected. She’s happy, certainly, but it’s her life. And yet here was this stallion that, in truth, she hardly knew, who was just as happy for her as she was for herself. Or else he was a terribly good actor, but she didn’t believe that was it. No, she believed he meant it.

She can’t help the smile that lights her teal eyes and softens the curve of her lips when he mentions crossing paths with a dear friend. “I’m glad to hear you’ve been well,” she says. He’s been well, and he’s perhaps as pleased to see her as she is to see him. Not that she could ever tell him she’s been keeping an eye out, wondering if she’d ever run into him again. Not looking, necessarily, just always wondering if his familiar form would cross her line of sight.

His eyes drift down to the ruby that glimmers on her neck, and her grin grows a little sheepish. It’s one of those moments that she’s glad she can’t blush, because she might be bright red at this point. She laughs at the compliment though, a sound that is both well practiced at batting away compliments but one that is also, genuinely, happy. “Of course I did,” she adds, entirely serious now. “You have no idea what it means to me,” she admits, not entirely sure why she’s admitting this at all. But it’s already out there now.

“Other than the in Threshold, you were the first horse I met in Helovia. I’d been forced from my home, had my entire family taken from me, and here was this stranger showing me more kindness than I could have imagined. I know it’s a small thing, but it was the first bit of hope I’d been given in a very long time. So yes, I kept it.”

And there it is. No details, because she can’t go into those so easily, but still. The truth of her life, laid bare for someone she’s met only once. But she finds that it’s not hard to tell him. That she’s actually glad she told him. She doesn’t have anything else to offer him but the truth. 

watch how i soar.

lyanna

@Apollo

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

There's something about the smile that lights up Lyanna's face that takes his breath away. It ignites a light behind her lovely teal eyes and her expression grows softer, more precious, looking at him as though he had done something great... But all Apollo had done was admit to her how he was. That look on her face, the look that she cared, was equal parts thrilling and terrifying.

They move on to the topic of the ruby chained closely to her heart, and Lyanna's next words leave the Merciful stallion completely gobsmacked. 'You have no idea what it means to me.' No.

No he didn't. He was scared to.

On the outside, Apollo's expression remained unchanging; gentle, curious, steadfast. On the inside, however, he was a mess of fears, anxieties, and insecurities. What if he messed up? Lyanna was, perhaps, the only friend he had left, if he could even be so bold as to call her a friend.

Once, he had many. Ktulu, Lakota, Phaedra, Archibald, Resplendence, Mesec, Midas... Now, he had none. None but Zola, and maybe, maybe Lyanna. If that wasn't terrifying, then Apollo didn't know what was. Terror was too pale of a word to describe how he was feeling.

She went on, however. Lyanna spoke, her words an admittance of long hidden pain, of long locked away emotions, and for perhaps the first time, Apollo sees her pain. He sees her suffering, her fears, her doubts, her past transgressions and the hopes she has for a brighter, more positive future.

Like him.

Her words register in her ears, speaking secrets from dark lips, and he gives her his full attention. She deserves that much, if not more. The Merciful was the first to meet her, to cross paths, since being thrown from the safety and familiarity of her home, left alone in the wild and abandoned lands of strangeness and mystery.

Like him. Oh Gods, like him.

What could he say? What could he do? He appreciated her honesty, and his expression shifted, morphed, not into one of pity, for Lyanna seemed like a gentle but proud creature and to offend her was the last thing that he wanted to do, but of understanding. Of camaraderie. Of love, because despite their brief knowledge of one another, he loved her dearly like a friend.

"Oh, Lyanna..." Her name escaped his lips unbidden, unplanned, but he did not regret it. Despite the sudden grasp of melancholy that held tight over his heart, he smiled, his expression wistful and yearning as he dared to reach out and brush his dark muzzle against her very own once again, hoping to soothe her worries with touch, blowing hot air from his nose into hers. The touch of reassurance, the intimate touch between two friends. He was humbled that she regarded him with such sincerity, with such importance, even though he felt anything but.

"What are we, if not for hope?" The question was rhetorical, but the Merciful stallion felt as though he must say something. "We must always hope for a better future, a better tomorrow, even if our days are bleak and uncertain. Even if we feel as though we cannot take another step. Hope drives us forward... Makes us whole, pushes us to fight against our challenges, our fears, our insecurities." Here, the overo stallion's expression shifted yet again, growing softer, more sincere, more gentle. "I... I'm honored, that you kept the stone." Because it was so much more than just a stone.

A promise. A promise of hope, for the future.

For their future.

Slowly the Merciful turned his kind head, motioning towards the shoreline of the powerful ocean. He would not go too close, the memory of the dangerous Kraken still fresh despite the years that had gone by, but he wanted nothing more than to walk the shoreline in the evening sun with Lyanna.

"... Would you accompany me, lady?" He asked, his tired face giving way to a warm, boyish smile. "For a walk along the beach and watch the sunset?"

@Lyanna <33 - Sorry for the wait!

Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

There are no real words for the jumble of emotions that she feels with him. An emptiness where his touch leaves her skin tingling, longing for more. A fullness, where her heart doesn’t know how much more it can take and yet, where it cannot get enough either. A combination of terror and hope that perhaps she could leave Morham to the past, where it belonged. That perhaps, perhaps there was another life waiting for her. That here, in Helovia, she might actually belong.

It’s still so hard (though no longer quite impossible) to she herself as anything but the Princess. The one who kept their allies happy, the one who would be betrothed to kingdom that offered the strongest army in return. The one who, other than with Corbin, was mostly forgotten when her presence wasn’t need. In those sleepy, uncertain hours of the morning when clarity was still a few heartbeats away, she often thought she still woke in the forests of Morham. Often thought her day would be full of batting eyelashes and plastic words.

But then the heartbeats passed, and the mist came into focused, and she remember. Remembered that she called the edge of the world her home. That Morham was a distant place that no one here had ever heard of. That her days were now filled with learning about herbs, with caring for the sick and the injured in the Edge. That everything had changed so much. Though still, she found herself bearing the familiar responsibility of caring for so many on her shoulders. It was a different way of caring here, but the weight felt similar anyway, almost comforting.

And even after having admitted so freely to Apollo her life before her, she finds that the familiar pang of sadness does not come with it. Instead, his amber eyes find hers with understanding. Not pity. It was the last thing she ever wanted, and it wasn’t something she found now. No, it was simply understanding, and warmth, and hope, that she found in those eyes. Her name on his lips takes her breath away for a moment, the way it’s breathed into this world so gently, so briefly.

Her own breath meets his as he touches her once again, and his now familiar smell and that familiar heat hit her with a rush. She lets her eyes close for a moment before opening them again, content to revel in the sincerity of that touch, the comfort that comes with it that she never could have imagined. That still, after years of being treated as something to trade, she cannot entirely imagine. Is she even allowed to feel this way?

Yes. It is her life now. Entirely hers. But still, she finds that fear and uncertainty and desire all twist in her gut.

His words ring in her ears, because she knows all too well how true they are. She doesn’t say anything in return, but her smile is quiet, and it’s the best response she can offer. She doesn’t have words eloquent enough to reply. But thankfully, he doesn’t require a response. Instead, his head swings away (though again, that pang and tingle in her skin where his touch disappears), inviting her for a walk. Her smile widens, taking on less of a nostalgic feel, and she takes a few steps forward to join him. “I’d love to. It’s a beautiful evening, after all. What better way to spend it than with such good company?”

And what a beautiful evening it was. The sky was clear, slowly lighting on fire with the setting sun. The air was warm from Tallsun, but the breeze from the ocean was cool. The waves lapped against the shoreline, the sound rhythmic and calming. And somehow, against all odds, she’d found Apollo again. Who knew how long till they saw each other again. She’d take what time she could get.

watch how i soar.

lyanna

@Apollo

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

She returned his touch, a gentle, soothing caress like a balm against a stinging burn. Her actions are sincere, genuine, her muzzle pressing so intimately to his own and Apollo drinks her in, inhaling her scent, memorizing every detail from the velvety, feminine touch of her muzzle, to the way her eyes sparkled in the embers of the dying light, to the sound of her lovely voice and the way that her smile lit up his world, permeating his dark thoughts and showing him only goodness, memorizing it... Because, when their parting inevitably came, Apollo feared that he would never see her again.

Like so many others, Lyanna would disappear into the wind and out of his grasp the moment he looked the other way, forever.

But their parting came, inevitably, and the Merciful stallion watched with warm, soulful honey-brown eyes as she straightened, doing the same, his smile growing considerably as she agreed to accompany him in an evening stroll along the shoreline. In an almost effortless move, Apollo lowered his head and gently closed his teeth about Zola's scruff, picking the petite feline up and placing her upon his withers. The said cat immediately settled upon her customary perch along the overo's back, stretching out along her belly with her back legs hanging off of the stallion's right side, and front legs hanging down his left.

They fell into step effortlessly after that, side by side, meandering down the shoreline with their hooves leaving imprints within the white granules of the beach sand. The sound of waves crashing against the shore was oddly soothing, even though a part of him would always be anxious of the large body of water itself. Here, on the land, they were safe. Inside the water, well... That was a whole other story, and one he might share.

Occasionally, with every other step, Apollo's barrel would brush against the downy feathers of Lyanna's wings, an accidental touch that he was unaware of at first, and then somewhat embarrassed over. However, his honey-brown eyes glanced towards the ebony lady's lovely face, gauging her reaction or if she had even noticed, before looking back towards the churning waves and the woven tapestry of colors on the horizon.

"... Many years ago, when I had only been in Helovia for a short time and very much younger than I am now, a good friend and myself played within these very waves. It was all good fun, but... An odd creature emerged from the deep." Here, Apollo's soft, gentle voice grew somewhat strained, his memories getting the best of him, recalling the terror, the panic, the fear of drowning... "It was a monstrous mystery, really, but I believe it was called a 'Kraken'. It had many large tentacles that writhed high in the sky, and only one could effortlessly pick up a horse."

The stallion paused, shook his head with a snort, tossing the thickness of his mane about and turned his gaze so that his eyes rested on the soothing familiarity of Lyanna's teal orbs. When he spoke again, his expression was somewhat sheepish and ashamed. "I have always been afraid of the water. Even more-so, now, that I know what lurks in the deep. But I am still captivated by the beauty here, so I come here again and again, despite what had almost happened..."

It was another lesson, another memory. It was something that had happened, and no matter how much he reflected on it and thought it over, Apollo was glad that it did happen. Just as his arrival in Helovia, joining the Grey, fighting in the Foothills invasion, becoming a medic, a Chief, making friends, losing friends... Meeting Lyanna.

"Lyanna?" The question of the dark lady's name came softly, as though shyly, and Apollo's gaze remained rooted upon her own. His steps felt light, his breast loose and void of tension, his heart aflutter. "Perhaps this is a foolish question... But what is it like? To fly? To feel the wind upon your wings and soar like a bird?"

Because unlike her, he was land-bound, stuck to experience the mystery of flight by only watching.

@Lyanna

Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

She did not want to disappear. It is a strange realization. But for once, as she walks into the sunset with Apollo at her side, Morham is not the thing she’s dreaming of. Her thoughts aren’t miles ahead, wondering what will become of her. Her thoughts aren’t miles behind, mourning a home she can never have back. For once, her thoughts are on this moment, on the realization that this is her life now. No, it’s not the life she ever expected. No, it’s not the life she was raised to lead. But it’s a beautiful life. And it’s hers. Entirely, completely hers.

They walk along the beach in silence for a while, though it is an easy, comfortable silence. Zola lounges on Apollo’s back as they move, and everyone once in a while Apollo’s side brush against her wings. She tried not to blush at the touch, at the way it sent a thrill racing down her spine. Instead, she keeps walking, not minding the contact, and trying to make sure the disappointment when he steps away again doesn’t show on her face. It’s still a strange feeling, to want someone around like this. Really, they are still nearly strangers.

But for some reason, he feels safe. And Gods, it’s been so long since safe was a word Lyanna knew.

After a while, his deep voice cuts into the crashing waves and the whisper of the ocean wind. She flicks her ears his direction, head turning slightly to watch him as they walk. The story turns from something simply nostalgic, to something dark, the pain in his voice a bit evident. She wants to reach out, wants to offer some small comfort in the way of touch, but she’s not sure if she actually should.

Once, she knew just exactly what to do. She knew when to touch, when to laugh, when to bat an eye. She knew how to play a game, because that was her job. But Apollo isn’t a game, and she doen’t know the rules for this version of life. And she doesn’t want to overstep, but still, she wants to be herself.

He’s talking of a monster, something called a Kraken. An image of an impossibly large octopus flashes into her mind, though she has no idea if that’s really what a Kraken looks like. Still, the idea of anything large enough to pick up a horse like that is rather terrifying, and she can’t help but glance quickly to the now peaceful sea. This was such a strange world to her still. “Were you both okay?” she asks softly.

After a moment, he shakes his head, tossing his head and turning to face her more. His next words are more genuine and heartfelt than she expects, and she reaches out to press her head against his neck for a moment before pulling away, teal eyes meeting his amber ones. “It is okay to be afraid. Only the bravest horses are afraid. Fear is what makes you brave, after all. And despite what happened, here you are, at the water’s edge.”

After a moment, her name escapes his lips in a question. She looks back at him, ears pricked, her look expectant, waiting to see what comes next. Her smiles grows at his question though, because it is her favorite thing in this world. Flying. “You aren’t the first to ask,” she says, giving him a warm smile. “It is amazing. It’s a freedom I can’t quite put into words. But when I fly, I feel like the world is my oyster. I can go anywhere, see anything. I feel powerful, using just my wings to move the wind around me.” Once, she could have simply moved the wind. Once, she could have lifted him up and taught him what it felt like to fly. Once, she didn’t need her wings to fly. But now, her wings are all she has left. “It’s a joy I wish I could share. If I ever figure out a way, you’ll be the first one I tell.” She chuckles slightly, knowing it’s rather unlikely she will ever find a way to teach a wingless horse to fly. But she can’t help the joke anyway, or the playful gleam in her eyes.

watch how i soar.

lyanna

@Apollo

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

It was lucky that Lyanna did not seem to mind the brushes of contact elicited between them as they walked, because he wasn't certain how he would react if their brief touches were unwanted and the mare acted negatively. Apollo felt something inside of him, something deep and complete as he stood at the black lady's side, content in a way that he had not felt in a long, long time...

Probably not since Midas was alive...

Luckily it also seemed that his tales of the Kraken and his past experiences at the Endless Blue did not bore her, for Lyanna watched him during his tale, attention riveted and genuinely interested, and along with those feelings of deep adoration and care was the stallion filled with relief. Her soft inquiry, the pleading tone of 'Were you both okay?' filled his ears and Apollo released a thoughtful, soft breath, taking a moment to ponder his answer. Was he?

He smiled, soulful honey-brown eyes lifting to linger once more on Lyanna's lovely teal irises. "Aye, we were well and able to walk safely away." The overo had no intention of telling Lyanna how Phaedra had been murdered in cold blood by one of Helovia's own, or how those days of innocent and carefree happiness were long gone. The past was the past, and Apollo knew he needed to learn to simply let it go...

... But with his advancing years, he found that letting go was terribly hard to do. He found himself desperately grasping at memories, terrified to let them go, to contemplate and analyze and wonder 'what if', scared to let all of them disappear forever... Because if he did not dwell on the past, on Phaedra, on Midas, on everyone who he had loved but who had left him, who had died, then how could they live on?

And yet, was it not just as cruel? To live his life in the past? Worrying and fretting over things that he had no control over? Enslaved over things that had happened outside of his power? He would always remember those that he loved, always cherish them and remember them... But did he not deserve to look towards the future as well?

Lyanna's gentle, soothing words stole across his ears, whisking him away from his thoughts like a leaf upon the wind, powerless but to leave his dark musings behind for the betterment of her company. Her words were like a balm, soothing the burn, and his smile grew anew. Why, despite everything that he had seen, Apollo had never thought of fear or bravery in that sense.

"You're quite right," he murmured affectionately, soaking in the feeling of her touch when the ebony mistress pressed her velvety muzzle against the stallion's neck, secretly relishing in her touch and affection, "I have never thought of it that way. I am sorry." For what, he didn't know, but he was compelled to apologize.

Lyanna went on, then, doing her best to explain the joys of flying in answer to his question. Apollo did his best to listen, did his best to understand and share in her breathless excitement in regards to the passion of flight, but as a creature bound to the earth, there was little he could truly do to understand. As she continued on, there was an expression about her fact that so captivated him, and Apollo's smile only grew at her statement.

"I would love that very much," Apollo said ecstatically, chuckling in a breathless, boyish way, all smiles with his heart feeling lighter than it had in so, so long, "Very, very much." Suddenly, however, an idea came to him. "Oh! I... I am in the middle of trying to obtain a carrying pouch for Zola to travel in. It would be much easier for her to stay in, you see... But, perhaps if you would be so kind, when I obtain the pouch, you can wear it and fly with her? Zola sees through my very eyes, and I through hers... Perhaps, that way, even I could see what it was like to fly?"

When her name was mentioned the said black feline lifted her head inquisitively, enjoying the feeling of the sun upon her sides. She looked without seeing between Lyanna and Apollo, feeling her bonded's content, yet jovial happiness, and lowered her head once more. There was nothing to worry about, not even the constant enemy called 'melancholy' when Lyanna was around.

@Lyanna

Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

Everything here had gone so quickly. It both amazed and terrified her, to believe that this could potentially be her life. Not Morham, but Helovia and the World’s Edge and everything that this place has already given her. A promotion, friends, Apollo…Apollo was perhaps the most terrifying thing at all. She didn’t entirely know what to think, and so she tried, as they walked along the sand, not to think. She tried just to let herself feel, to enjoy the feeling that his brushes left behind, to enjoy that desire for more. Because it was enjoyable, whatever it meant, exactly. Wherever it lead exactly.

She is glad when he says they were both safe, and her smile softens into something easy and pleasant. There’s nothing obvious behind those amber eyes that tell her there’s more to the story, that things changed. Of course they changed, though she could hardly venture a guess. For all she knows, the other horse still lives happily on around here somewhere. Not that Lyanna would be surprised to learn otherwise. She is young (considerably so, compared to Apollo, but age is just in a number in the end), but she’s seen quite a lot for her four short years. It’s hard not to grow up when you’ve lived her life.

If she knew how Apollo wrestled with his ghosts as she did though…well, in truth, there was nothing she could do but sympathize. But she could sympathize, she could understand. She felt the same way, after all. Afraid to forget the family that had been murdered, afraid to forget the sister that had disappeared. Afraid that forgetting them means they died in vain. No one else would remember them except the history tutors that would paint her family as villains under the new regime. But they were nothing of the sort. They were kind, good people born into the right family when others were not.

But at the same time, she cannot live with their ghosts on her back. She cannot wallow in her grief anymore. She has to let go, has to live. And somewhere in there, there must be a line between forgetting and moving on, but she cannot find it.

But then, Apollo is apologizing, and she’s pulled from her thoughts into a gentle laugh. The kind where, if she could, she’d place a hand on his shoulder as if to wipe the thought away. Instead, she simply says, “You have nothing to apologize for. Sometimes I don’t even remember that, and I’m the one saying it.” She grins slightly, a bit of a twinkle in her eye. Though it is true. She didn’t feel brave running from her home. She didn’t feel brave hiding here, unable to ever go home. But perhaps she was brave, not letting the fear control her, being willing to try again. To create a life and a family knowing full well how quickly, how easily, it could all be taken away.

The topic turns to flying though, and her heart lifts in this conversation as it always does. It is the one thing no one could take from her, the one thing she gets to keep no matter what. Unless, of course, something happened to her wings, but she protects them in a way she hardly even protects herself. She wouldn’t be herself without them, after all. His laugh is boyish, and she forgets how serious the conversation had been before, enjoying the sound of his laugh instead. And then he has an idea, and her eyes light up a bit at it. “Oh, of course. I would love to. Assuming Zola doesn’t mind heights,” she says with a grin and a glance the black cat stretched across Apollo’s back. But the idea of sharing this with Apollo, of not only being able to give him some sense of flight but, perhaps more importantly, simply getting to share something so wonderful with him fills her with delight. And hope. Hope for another meeting, another chance to spend time in his company.

She would love to spend all night here with him, just wandering on the beach with the sound of waves beside her and the stars above, but she knows that they cannot. They both have lives to return to, duties to attend. And with the sky growing dark, the sun nearly gone, she knows it’s time they return to those things. “I should head home,” she says, a hint of regret creeping in to her voice. “But I hope I will see you soon. You can almost always find me in the Edge, or somewhere in the sky.” She laughs at that, knowing he likely wouldn’t find her that high, though she often kept low enough to see what was going on below her. Like today. If she’d been too high, she never would have found him.

She reaches out once more to lightly touch his nose with her own, before turning and heading back to the Edge.

watch how i soar.

lyanna

@Apollo

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki