Leif Posts: 15
Outcast
Stallion :: Other :: 15 Hands :: 4 Years
Sparrow
L
E
I
F
A sound cut through the dreary morning woods, the fog, and the drizzle of cool rain.

Loud, sharp, echoing. It started low, a deep, guttural sound, then quickly raised to a higher octave, echoing sharply through the air like a scream. Even after the call had faded from pale lips, it echoed, high in pitch and lingering until there was nothing but eerie silence for miles around. Around him, nothing moved. Nothing stirred. The drizzle continued to spit, but no soul seemed to emerge.

"Nothing...?"

Leif honestly didn't know what he had been expecting. For so long he had lived in solitude, hiding, running, picking his compatriots carefully, if he picked any at all. Few who saw him had good intentions. What would he hope to do if he did encounter someone on this nasty, wet morning? Hide? Run? Fight? Apologize for interrupting their lackluster morning and continue on his way into the unknown? More than likely anyone who called this unknown land 'home' would not be here, in the middle of the woods, in the rain. Er, drizzle. Whichever.

A deep, profound sigh of disappointment escaped the elk's lips. He was a tall, robust creature, muscular and distinctive due to the pelt white as snow adorning his hide and the proud, yet dangerous antlers upon his brow. With eight tines per antler, his crown was a intimidating sight, despite the velvet that had yet to shed. The white stag's gentle, blue-green eyes sat nestled in a dished, noble face, and roamed the trees, sucking in large breaths of foliage-scented air. One long leg, stained by brown mud, dared to step forward, a cloven hoof stretching outwards to continue his trek into the unknown.

Where was he? Where was this? Nothing about it looked or smelled familiar, but perhaps that was a blessing. With new territory came new opportunity, and Leif wondered if that wasn't the case, here.

Ducking his head beneath a few low-hanging limbs to avoid snagging his antlers, the white stag continued on his way, his pace slow, cautious, and leisurely. With no destination he was in no hurry, and with no one around, perhaps he could find a place to fill his stomach and then rest his eyes.

ooc: So, I had plans for Leif to join the Basin... However, everyone is welcome in attempt to persuade him (and me!) to join your herd/group! :D Also, if you've never heard an elk bugle, you need to look it up. It's a hauntingly beautiful sound.

Image Credit

Elspeth Posts: 40
Absent Abyss
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 hh :: 7 years
Sarah

I had left the Basin - not permanently but just for enough time that I could think. Which seemed to be the only thing I really did lately - think and shiver and try to get warm. I was rebelling against the idea of Helovia becoming a permanent home, the way it seemed to suck in all the misfits and unfortunate wanderers that stumbled through the forest and into its grasps. They told me I would be safe here - or safeer - but I still jumped when there was movement behind me and shied away from the strange creatures that populated this place. I still wasn’t quite certain how to tell the gods from the mortals when everyone looked like beasts out of the legends and fairytales of my foal-hood.

I let my legs wander where they were - without purpose or knowledge to drive them - and was started to recognize the forest that I took shelter in when the rain began. I barely register the call from deeper in the woods because I am too wrapped up in my own foolish head.

This is where I had found my way into Helovia.

I could leave, if I just followed the deer trails through it, I could find my way back to a home that pulled at me as strongly as ever despite the fact that there was nothing left there that made it home - my mate and my child were gone.

Finding a tree to shelter underneath from the annoying drizzle - I get lost in my thoughts. My golden eyes drift lazily around the forest before me as I contemplate just how many choices that I do not want are laid before me. Until a bright spot amidst the grey and green gloom draws my attention.

It was a white stag and the sight of him made me gasp audibly - further proof how how foolish I am! I’m certain he could have heard me and I shift awkwardly where I stand before emerging from the shelter to watch him, aware that my cream and red-brown coat hardly affords me much camouflage in this forest. Not thinking anything of it because it was an elk - surely he’d ignore me and be on his way to whatever magical end.

@Leif she didn't feel like talking I guess GONNA MAKE THINGS DIFFICULT
[Image: 5706a739b3d7b]
please tag Elspeth in all replies

Thranduil the Laurelin Posts: 598
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 11 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hh :: Eight HP: 77 | Buff: ENDURE
Haldir :: Common Cerndyr :: Dark Mist Hawk

It was a god awful morning. The gold shook his crowned head and the white hairs flapped out hen clung back to his neck. It brought a snort of displeasure. They could have been at least dry in the hollow in the labyrinth, but someone had wandered too far the day before to return in time for night. The gold turned a most accusing earthen eye to the dark deer pawing at the leaf littered forest floor for a spot of breakfast. Shaking his head once more the gold moves to join him. It wasn’t all that miserable. With the fog and dark morn it seemed more like the weather of his green maze home had taken over. That at least was something the gold very much enjoyed.

A call cuts through the quiet seen. It’s long sharp bellow breaking the silence. The gold looked up lazily from his meek meal, but Haldir stood up straight. His jerk caught the gold’s attention more than the actual noise. Head tilted and one hark fell back at the rigid frame of the small stag. “Hal-“ But the deer bolted into the trees.

Bewildered by his own companion the gold barked out but the deer was gone. Cursing the stag for both running, and the weather he placed them in, the gold took off after him. For the first time in ages the gold pulled on his bonded’s mind, but found it only set on finding the maker of the call, a deer? Groaning as he snaked through the pines the gold cursed the fact he cared.

The dark trees turned to pines as the entered the Threshold, and a small dark figure appeared in the gold’s vision again. “Haldir!” he hissed low. But the deer had no mind for him. His antlered head rose back and a low rolling sharp bellow of his own roared into the forest, echoing on the pines. Harks fell back but there was no time for the gold to get in a word as the stag moved forward again, this time slowly.

Haldir had his reasons for being so taken. There was only twice where he had met some of his kind. Ashamin had a companion such as he, but it was when the creature was still a babe. He had also attracted a lovely lady deer’s attention once…but her boyfriend came back  early. This was the first time anyone had called to him or so it seemed. With the long dark days of the life of an outcast passing by more lonely, the idea of one of his kind seeking out company had the whole attention of the deer. Not even the trees which grabbed at his antlers, or the shouts through their bond at his idiocy, slowed him for long.

A light shadow passes in the mists, and the dark stag slows, his moon eyes wide but steady. The gold came just behind, but he was quiet, looking out to see the shape himself. Haldir steps from the low pines first, his small dark body giving a shiver to see the maker of the call was a much larger being. To this creature though he tilts his head and offers only a gruff of question. His body was trembling with excitement, but this hadn’t been what he had expected to find. The gold wasn’t much better. He followed the stag through into the clearing, his curiosity now fully awake, but he is equally confused by their findings. A whit full grown stag? Harks lean back as he steps behind his small dark deer. None of the deer of Helovia were usually so bold…The gold’s head dips though, some sign of respect or hello.

A movement breaks his greeting as he sees another equine come from the shadows. Earth eyes look back and forth between the two. Had they interrupted? Given the shock look of the mare he doubted it, but it was clear this was a most unusual meeting. Haldir was the only one who’s confusion began to subside as a small grin began to grow on his face.

OOC :: Sorry its a bit awkward XD
"speech"

Posting Poetics
credits

@Elspeth @Leif

[Image: 5381546acbe33]
Feel free to use any force/magic on Thranduil, short of killing him.
Please tag in every post.
Ask Thranduil any question in the world, he'll be forced to answer on his profile. PM with your question.

Banjo Posts: 37
Absent Abyss atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.0
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 16hh :: 4 HP: 62.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Riven

As dawn broke, the sleeping buck was stirred to wake by the unusually slow, loud croon of a bird (who he might have expected to be three times the size). Before even the thick mesh of pale lashes peeled away from his eyes, the mindlessly groggy objection had slipped past his lips; where was that rousing chorus, jovial and bright, that usually greeted this moment? “Argh, that’s woeful… mate. Who died?” Only the so waver of his enormous roo ears signified his return from the dreamworld, though as the sound of the avian dulled, wingbeats vanishing into the forest somewhere, he began to doze again and picture times of old; he and Tilda, on one of their myriad adventures through the sprawling outback, rare rain heaving down from the sky upon them.

When next he woke, that tiny feathery pest had returned - and with a vengeance it seemed. It fluttered about in the misty rain (that which the sleeping creature was still entirely unaware of), fanning quills and chirping  about like the incessant buzz of flies landing and lifting, landing and lifting. In his semi-conscious state Banjo twitched, bothered but barely present all the same. “Bugger off will ya?” he murmured, reaching with a long arm to claw down the rim of his old brown hat across his eyes. But the bird didn’t. It screamed like a stuck pig… well, a little prettier, and it echoed through the still forest for moments after.

“Crikey!?”. Eyes were open, though bleary, struggling to fit the call to the twitterer nearby, “What, did ya down a dingo for brekky or something? Watch out or I’m next ay?” Muscular limbs extended out as far as their length could allow and through gritted teeth the buck groaned delightedly. There was nothing quite as awesome as that first stretch in the morning! The chill hit his sodden skin like a face full of echidna spines though, and Banjo instantly recoiled into a clumsy looking ball, glancing with cautious eyes at last into the misty, dreary world surrounding.

“Gunna be one’v those days is it…”

The bird peered down briefly at the mass of wet brown fur, but as Banjo began at last to rise, flew quickly away into the treetops. “Hooroo then,” he sighed after it, regarding a sudden tremor in his stomach with a swerving ear. It was time to eat and he’d had only very little tea the evening before - he just couldn’t bring himself to gorge on the tart grass threaded throughout this smelly forest. So with green eyes renewed, the horsaroo began his slow, ambling search for something more appetising.

No sound alerted him to the peculiar group gathering in the clearing nearby, nor did any scent evade the haze of moisture in the air and find his nosrils. Banjo was upon them before he even he realised company was so close, and smiled broadly in place of the lurking face of astonishment. Everyone seemed creepily quiet, eyes  trained upon one another (or the fella with branches on his head), and though the chestnut too was intrigued, he was not at all the subtle sort. “G’day mateys!” he chimed gently - was early still after all. A queer looking little crew they were for sure!

Plots | The Unbound | Absences
I run just like this!
Please tag me in openers and spars.
Feel free to flog n magic me, mild power play is also fine.
Text in the profile and posts reflects stereotypical ocker slang - don’t knock it mate!

Outcast
Sparrow
L
E
I
F
A call snapped him from his reverie. Leif jolted, head snapping upwards and pointing royal tines towards the heavens, ears twitching forward as the sound echoed through the air. It was a response to his own only a few moments prior, a beckoning, searching. Instinctively the stag froze, standing still, scenting the air for any hint of danger. Nothing, save rain, wet leaves, and damp soil rose to meet him, and Leif swallowed hard against his anxiety.

Who? Had it truly been such a good idea of him to call out a beckoning bugle in a strange, foreign land?

Before he could even think to continue on his way, a darkly shape emerged from the nearby foliage, its movement catching Leif's wary gaze immediately. The white stag stared, unabashed and unashamed, nostrils flaring and wide blue-green eyes lingering on a form that he recognized. A deer. It was just a deer. Oddly colored, like himself, but more of the earth-tones that suited his kin and ilk. Browns and blacks, and as he eyed the small deer, Leif couldn't help but feel as though it looked oddly intelligent...

Another form broke into sight, however; a streak of golden glory and ivory tresses. This animal, however, Leif had no idea what to make of.

The elk inhaled sharply, wondering what sort of world he had stepped into. A... A horse? Leif had seen horses, encountered a few during his travels, but this was no horse, for it had horns protruding from it's cresting poll, twisted, as though of his species. What in the world?

The golden stag stood behind the smaller, earthen deer, watching him with careful eyes as though he was the weird one. Then, surprisingly, he dipped his head, the gold not-horse, and Leif swallowed once again.

Did he run? Or stay? The surprises, as it were, did not end there, for another joined them, nearly slinking in unnoticed.

Pale and alabaster she was, a female, with wet earthly colored tresses. She slunk from the protective embrace of a tree, surely there to avoid the rain, watching the white stag with a look of genuine surprise... The same feeling that Leif himself currently felt, but nothing could have prepared him for when a third creature joined them. Had his call truly attracted so many? At the moment, he was furious at himself for pulling such an idiotic move.

Another male... He thought? While these not-horses he could place, this... Other not-horse was justly that. His front half looked familiar enough, the neck and head... But his back half did not. Yet, who was Leif to judge others on their appearance? He wasn't. Still, the half-horse half-thing spoke, and it made him none the more comfortable about the situation. Leif detested such close scrutiny, such bulbous, wondrous stares. It made him uncomfortable, self-conscious, and scared.

In an action of false bravado, one born of fear, Leif tucked his head towards his chest, showing off the rack upon his head, and lifted a cloven hoof only to stomp it upon wet soil with a loud 'smack!' Upon his rump, the tuft of his tail flicked in muted distress.

"I... I mean no ill-will," the majestic stag stated, tones an octave lower beyond the norm, "I am merely passing through. I know no knowledge of this land, and..." Leif paused, swallowed for a third time in only moments, and went on, eyes darting from the female to the male and his earthen deer, then to the odd third member of their abrupt gathering. "I am Leif. Could... Could one of you, perhaps, inform me as to where I am?"

Image Credit

@Elspeth @Thranduil @Banjo
"What if I fall?"
"Oh, but my darling; what if you fly?"

*Please tag Leif in all replies!*

Absent Abyss
Sarah

Things took a pretty drastic turn very quickly. I wasn’t the only one who was watching the white stag, it would seem - a small deer came darting through the woods toward it followed by a golden stallion. Perhaps one of the deer was his companion? Likely the smaller one but that still begged a question about the elk standing in the rain-soaked forest. It was a lovely sight, I will admit that.

Okay was being the operative word here because… well…

We’re all standing there quietly, no one really seems too sure what to do in this situation - neither of the deer or the stallion or myself. I was about ready to just make my peace and leave when there was more movement. “What the fuck?” I muttered underneath my breath when the… thing emerged through the forest. I don’t know any other way to describe it other than a ‘thing’. The front bit looked horse-like but there was something very much not equine about the back half.

My manners completely abandoned me further when the white stag spoke.

“SHIT!” This wasn’t quite so much of a murmur, unfortunately, my golden eyes rimmed with white fear as I stare at him, speaking in perfect, majestic tones. It was hard to not feel the quick bite of embarrassment as I hear his words, because they’re incredibly polite, not to mention how everyone else seemed to manage their surprise by looks alone.

Even as I take a small step to the side, slowly planning on making an escape (though to where I’m not so certain) I master my nerves enough to try to respond. “Uh, you’re in Helovia?” Although my voice couldn’t help but hitch a bit higher at the end, turning the statement into a question. Were we still in Helovia? Or had I stumbled into some sort of strange dream? I look towards the golden stallion as though he’d be able to confirm my thoughts. But I suppose I can’t trust the figures in my dreams.

But my attention is inevitably drawn back to that mythical creature, the white stag who introduced himself as Leif. “I’m sorry it’s just… I’ve never met an elk who could speak before.” Or a horse accompanied by baby deer? Or a horse with a back half that was decidedly not horse? “I’m Elspeth.” I’m fairly certain I only share my name because I don’t think this is real. I’ve dozed off - hopefully safely in the company of Calder back north - or under the shelter of a tree.

My heartbeat is pounding in my ears and I make no move to get any closer to this strange trio of males and my entire body is tense - waiting for one more move from any of them to send me fleeing into the woods.

@Thranduil

This meeting was already odd even by Helovia’s standards. The gold’s tail switched by his heels with the awkwardness of this so far silent meeting. It seemed though that the land itself didn’t think this was weird enough, and sent one more to join them. Harks lift to look at the rustle of trees and another moves forward to join them. A brow raises and a tentative step moves the gold back. Even Haldir, who broke his solid gaze from the deer, let fall his grin and light mood at first. The accent and good’day which broke the silence didn’t help win the gold over, but the dark deer returned to his quite happy mood to hear it. He was always of the two, the easier persuaded to the strange.

The gold was a bit shaken and confused to be sure, but it was the reaction of the other more normal equine beside him that caught his attention and judgement. Her brash words didn’t gain her much credit with the gold. It wasn’t that the gold didn’t feel the same, as his earth eyes danced among the company he too couldn’t quite understand just what the good’day mate creature was. That tail especially….but he knew better than to insult something he didn’t quite understand yet. His investigations were broken short by movement from the stag, and his and Haldir’s attention returned to it.

The gold didn’t quite understand the deer’s shows but Haldir did. The small dark stag’s smile falls again and he stepped back to see the display. The gold watched him with care, and silently stepped forward, only to hear the stag speak. Another brow of the gold was raised, and his hesitation returned, keeping him silent for a moment. Haldir though was put at easy, sort of. The young buck had never wanted to speak so much in his entire life. A gruff comes out in the attempt and frustration, before he turned to the gold. The other equine though was providing a distraction though.

His gold ears now pinned back as he watched her stumble over herself in surprise. Again, not that he wasn’t feeling the same, but her inability to pull some decency together in front of a creature so obviously capable and demanding of such proved an annoyance. The gold only watched her stumble, still reluctant to say anything quite yet, but Haldir had grown impatient. ”Tell him he his welcome” The gold ears come forward to the small deer who had turned to face him. The chatter continued, demanding welcomes and knowledge. The gold snorted and shook his head, but the deer was insistent. ”He is friend” The gold gave the deer and odd look, one of many today, and finally looked up.  

His own voice rumbled low, and smooth, tamed from his confusion by skill. “You are indeed in the Threshold of Helovia, a land of horses-“ Haldir barked back at his bonded and the gold added. “-but you are welcome here. You will have to excuse shock-“ He glanced to the mare near him “-there are not many like you,” a side glance goes to the other strange creature “….here.” The gold was never a great tour guide or welcoming committee, even when assigned to do so by the Basin, he gave no more greeting, only adding. “I am Thranduil, and this is Haldir, at your service.” The traditional greeting is spoken from habit, as is the slight head dip. The dark stag now beamed and stood as proud as his little body let him. His excitement near overwhelming in his small body.

OOC ::
"speech"

Posting Poetics
credits

@Leif
@Elspeth
@Banjo

Ask Thranduil any question in the world, he'll be forced to answer on his profile. PM with your question.

Riven

No stranger to the oddities and almost damn straight impossibilities in the world (although the creatures of Helovia with their wings and horns did strike him as queer), it seemed to come as little surprise to the well-meaning Banjo, that the misshapen 'neddy' with the pretty, pronged headdress could speak; it seemed the same could not be said for the foul-mouthed bat who was the only ‘horse’ among them (the puny tips which suggested the opposite were well hidden from his view). The previously grinning buck passed a stunned-mullet glance by lips that otherwise appeared to be lovely, feminine and mild. “Strewth…” he murmured beyond realm of his company’s hearing. She had tongue enough to knock any of the blokes’ socks off back home - what a bloody rippa!

A light smirk quirked the corners of his mouth as he watched her.

Perhaps he dwelled on the freckled female a moment longer than he should’ve; next thing he knew that admirable bunch of kindling set atop snowy’s poll was waving about at eye-level, and Banjo propped in place promptly, “how’s ya father…! You could take someone’s eye out doin’ that, y’know?” It was a rhetorical question, passed through his returning smile (and though the thought crossed his mind, the horsaroo did not help the smart-looking weaponry aside). The stag spoke, and insecurity was the first thing identified. If he’d been a pussy in the bush like that, he would’ve spent a lonely old life with dingos at his heels - the chestnut cleared his throat a little as it dawned that he’d been more or less in the same boat.

Anyway, the ‘not-so’ lady, (or Elspeth, as he’d quickly learn) was the first to respond to the stranger’s hesitant questioning with a rather unflattering answer - in Banjo’s opinion anyway. He might’a given her nine out of ten for the dumbass approach; not that his was much better of course.

Thankfully, old mate with the mini tree-on-legs picked up between the mare's mindless rambling and whatever misunderstood rubbish the bushman could have produced, he held the group together with remarkable tact. As the golden one spoke for each party beside him (glancing each way in turn), the buck nodded vigorously, dangling corks bouncing comically around his face as he did. The other’s head dipped ceremoniously to conclude his speech, and the horsaroo accepted that as motivation to bring his bit to the table. “…n’ya can call me Banj, mate. Like Thrano and his pet ere (if it’d been Ashamin he would slapped him a goodie, right across the back), …and El… er…” He glanced at the sheila who hadn’t mentioned exactly what her deal was yet, then again back to the white. …well, lemme just extend a warm as piss invite to my club, ah herd. Me’n the blokes (and girls…) will show y’round, n look out for ya if you're keen.”

I run just like this!
Text in the profile and posts reflects stereotypical ocker slang - don’t knock it mate!

Outcast
Sparrow
L
E
I
F
The freckled female not-horse is the first to react to his words, and what a reaction it was. The sharp expletive took the white stag by surprise, causing him to slide one notched hoof backwards as though preparing to flee. If anyone should be surprised, it should be him! Cautiously entering a strange land only to be happened upon by these not-equines, especially the third fellow in their midst, with the weird trappings and adornments around his neck and upon his poll. And he was the strange one?

Leif's eyes grow wide for but a moment, blue-green depths eyeing the earthen-tressed female with a look of wary before she is going on, apologizing for her rather unnecessary outburst, before giving him her name. Elspeth. That was her name, this ivory doe, and slowly Leif nodded his majestic head, slowly feeling his haunches relax and his head raise.

"It's... Quite alright, Doe Elspeth," Leif murmured softly, vocals still respectful and elegant, dignity coating every syllable, "Helovia, you say? I have never heard of this Helovia..." And wasn't that a strange word on his tongue? How queer.

From there, the golden not-horse talks, and confirms Elspeth's statement. The Threshold of Helovia... How odd was that day going to get? He continued, his words spoken with a smooth and low undertone that was quite unlike Elspeth's uncertain, trembling curses and queries, and he states that Leif is welcome, even among this land of horses. For a long moment, perhaps longer than Leif would realize, he stood in silence and contemplated that statement, letting the word coat his tongue and hang there as he grew acclimated to it.

Welcome.

When was the last time that he had been welcome anywhere?

In short; never.

"A pleasure to meet you, Stag Thranduil, and Stag Haldir. Thank you for the welcome." It meant far more than perhaps Thranduil could fathom. The white elk briefly pondered the kinship between Haldir and Thranduil, before turning his blue-green eyes upon the final of their party.

Something about this 'Banjo' fellow, and that certainly could not be his name, struck Leif as utterly odd, and it had nothing to do with the fact with the way he spoke nor his general appearance. He just... Was, and being around him was oddly comforting because no longer was Leif the only one who stood out among the crowd. They were all oddities in their own, unique ways, and where as Leif was used to cursing his white pelt and fearing what it may bring, these not-horses seemed to wear their individuality with pride.

Huh.

"... A warm as what?" Leif muttered softly beneath his breath, bewildered. Piss? Had he understood correctly? Still, this Banjo fellow mentioned something that immediately caught the white stag's attention, his oval ears flicking forward to listen with genuine curiosity. A herd? "It's grand to meet you as well, Stag Banjo."

"Are there many herds here, in... In Helovia?" The word was still terribly strange to say, and briefly Leif wondered if he'd ever get acclimated to saying it. Then again... Who was to say that he would even remain here? "I... Am looking for a place to settle, a place to call home. Is there a place like that in this Helovia?"

So much was happening, changes and new things that normally Leif would have turned tail and ran the other way, but for some reason, despite their oddities, he truly believed that Elspeth, Thranduil and Haldir, nor Banjo had any intentions on harming him. If they did... Wouldn't they have already tried? And while he was no professional at reading others, he did have some experience in that field.

Image Credit

@Elspeth
@Thranduil
@Banjo
"What if I fall?"

Absent Abyss
Sarah

Obviously, I didn’t miss that nice little aside that Thranduil shot towards me in reference to my shock. Warning for what? I certainly wasn’t going to fight this jerk but I also wasn’t just going to roll over and allow him to berate me for fuck’s sake! All of these males acting as though I had lost my mind. I had apologized, hadn’t I? And Leif hadn’t seem any worse for it.

I was quite happy to move on from the ordeal if he was.

“Thank you, we’ve established I reacted poorly.” I quickly bit back in a low voice during one of his pauses, intended only for the golden Thranduil to hear but perhaps the others were close enough to hear.

But then Banjo, as the hatted creature introduced himself, was speaking. I had to admit I didn’t understand half of what he was saying - it was full of metaphors that I didn’t quite get. Though I mostly caught on to the same one Leif did - warm as piss? How was that even remotely supposed to be an encouraging thing to say??

I couldn't help but picture Banjo and a dozen of other thick-tailed creatures pissing all over the newcomers as some bizarre initiation ritual. No thank you.

Still, I started to relax and it encouraged me to drift a couple paces forward so that I was more properly in the conversation instead of lingering on the outskirts. Not to say I wasn’t prepared to bolt at one ill move from any of those nearby but, well, I wanted to make up for my explosive greetings. And I could at least answer the question posed. “There are four main herds in Helovia - the World’s Edge, the Dragon’s Throat, Aurora Basin, and Hidden Falls.” My golden brown eyes flashed in a smile as I added: “Strange names, I know. I’ve only been in Helovia for a season and I’m still getting used to them.” They had baffled me the first time I had heard them. The Dragon’s Throat sounded like a fearful place, as did the World’s Edge. It gave me an odd sense of pride to belong to the herd that had the nicest sounding name.

“I’m from the Aurora Basin, it’s a herd protected in the mountains of the north. There are no other elk there, I’m afraid, but… there’s a few equines with antlers such as yours.” Would that help? I had no idea. But if nothing else it would warn him for the first time he saw someone who was not quite “horse” and not quite “deer”. “But it is safe and you would be welcome there.”

Even with her misgivings about the politics of the Basin, she couldn’t deny that no harm had come to her since arriving there in the thick of winter.

no chill had to reply right away
@Thranduil

A hiss of a whisper broke the golden’s attention to the scene, and a hark and one earth eye roll over to the company beside. Oddly enough (as if this day would never have enough odds) the gold smirked at her hiss. Had it been less of a weird day he might have even snickered. The mare’s sass woke up his more playful humor on this still rather dreary morning.

He might have even responded in kind, some tease, but the most strange creature among them barked up his answer as well. Haldir and the gold fully turned back to this, Banjo. Only the apathy mask didn’t last long this time. Thrano. Harks pin back and a snort echoes in the clearing. Haldir only ducked his head, praying the gold would screw up this weird but otherwise delightful meeting. Though he wasn’t entirely excited to be called pet either…

”We’ve welcomed him now let’s go.” The gold spoke to his stag, but the deer was defiant as ever. Excusing his strange words, Haldir quiet liked Banjo. He was by far the cheeriest one here, and that always won the deer over. So the stag refused, and so the insulted gold was made to stay.

The stag speaks up again and though he held his look of patient returned, it was more for boredom than a calming of the nerves. They always asked the same questions you see, where am I, where can I stay, why are you pissed off- Always the same. Haldir nods to the stag’s questions, and tries to prompt the gold, but he was too sullen to answer. Besides, the mare, Elspeth spoke up, and she proved to be of more knowledge than she let on.

It was only when she said Basin that the gold looked to her. His hinds shifted his weight, and though he tried to conceal it, he was lazy enough to let the peaking interest slip into visibility. The gold’s history with the Basin sparks into awakening in his mind and Haldir glances back at the gold hesitantly. But as the mare finishes the gold does not speak to it. Instead he turns back, ignoring that he ever knew the Basin.

“The Edge is land on the sea cliff, the Throat a desert island, and the Falls a jungle of waterfalls and groves.” He knew each by name and feel, a rare bit of knowledge for one of this land. Though that knowledge had  been gained at times by slight of hand and devilry. Perhaps that’s why he wasn’t loathe to share it. “You will also find the wilds of this land hospitable. I am a wander among them.” An outcast. The name always seemed sour on his tongue, even as much as he actually liked the life it brought. The golden, he commanded to himself, was not out cast from any place.

Haldir watched curiously as the gold made no mention of the Basin at all. It made his breath hold more a moment in anxiety. Yet the reasons were simple enough, the gold merely wanted to slip back into the trees, and his words were only as much as the conversation and company demanded. Mostly only what he knew Haldir demanded. The dark stag turned his head back to the others, still in front of the gold, and trying his very best to imagine this conversation was more pleasant than it was really going. He wanted it to move on to some new stage, where he could finally approach this new friend, and find some sport or common touch. Yet it was looking like that was less and less likely to happen today. But the deer was ever hopeful for some sign of comradery.

OOC ::
"speech"

Posting Poetics
credits

@Leif
@Elspeth
@Banjo
This has to be the most awkward thread, but its so much fun XD

Riven

The convo was moving along swimmingly, thought Banjo as he eased back against the sturdy pillar of tail beneath him to mull over the words, more so the detail, getting about between this funny-looking crew. With one hand raised amusingly, he clawed gently at the fine spray of golden whiskers beneath his chin and pondered, a warm, contented smile numbing his rather roo-coloured features. Glinting green eyes roamed thoughtfully from the taller of the two branch-heads to the smaller. He might have loved to know just how their fancy headwear came to be (there were no such thing as deer in the outback), considering of course, the very unorthodox creation of himself. The same question had entertained his thoughts when first he had seen Ashamin’s little entourage - and this time again, he found himself staring down a tree, an old shaggy one who perhaps hid devious fetishes himself!

The tune of the sheila’s voice soon melted away into the soft murmur of the wilderness around them and with the rise of the golden bloke’s own, Banjo returned focus to listen - well tried. All beer and no froth was the impression he took really, and there was a queerness about him too, an unsettling quietness that was only actually (barely) obvious when he did speak up and sound like something. His little dark brown side-kick on the other hand seemed bright and on target; far less surly, and rather cute with all the unusual swirls and stripes across his coat… Large ears did however fall forward again as the golden one made further mention of these herds; although not Elspeth’s home naturally, which she had kindly described already. Interesting too he had noted, that ‘stag-boy’ was an elk and many other horses (because equines were horses, right?) wore these, antler up there above their eyes.

Would've been a beaut feature in the desert is the design included leaves in the summer...

Learning, learning, all the time learning.

He hummed his interest quietly, raising a brow as each destination was announced in brief - especially the Falls, the boomer knew some fine fillies there already (well one in particular anyway, and it was about time he dropped her a line!). “…mmmm, me too,” he tagged onto the end of Thrano's finishing story, assuming himself a wanderer of the wilds with a nod, and at the same time sending a wink in Leif’s general direction which was intended to be more of a reassurance than anything else. “…not anything real wild about us though ay? Haha! A half-truth, there were definitely a few nutters getting about out there...  Banjo had already offered the elk a ticket to his herd, and felt little need to push the issue. Either way (apart from perhaps with the sullen guy), there was promise of an interesting, exciting future. Just in case however, having been in this situation about as many times now as he had claws on one hand, the buck straightened, wiped his nose and grinned broadly for effect.

@Leif @Elspeth @Thranduil
I run just like this!

Outcast
Sparrow
L
E
I
F
The pale female, Elspeth, was the first to speak in his further prodding for inquiries. Leif's large, oval ears slowly perked forward, listening with rapt attention as she named off each main herdland in Helovia. Helovia. Still what a strange name for an equally strange land. There was the World's Edge, Dragon's Throat, the Aurora Basin, and the Hidden Falls. Elspeth's next comment, how all of the names were strange, was something that he could whole heartedly agree with.

That made his mind run amok with uncertainty and confusion. This land of horses... Would he be welcome among them? He was not a horse... But Thranduil had claimed his welcome, stating it and Haldir had seemed quite proud of the fact that Leif was considered welcome, that he was allowed, that he wouldn't be murdered and skinned in his sleep.

Elspeth herself was from the Aurora Basin, and he stood still, continuing to listen as she explained it as well as she could. A land protected by mountains? He would be safe and welcome?

It was all so much. So different. All of it stood against the very foundation of the rules he had set in place for himself, the rules that had helped him survive since his youth.

Letting out a short breath, the white stag's blue-green eyes darted to Thranduil and Haldir as the golden stag began to speak, putting a description to the three other herds that Elspeth had mentioned. The World's Edge was stationed upon a sea-cliff, the Dragon's Throat in the unforgiving desert, and the Hidden Falls protected, hidden, by jungles and waterfalls?

How very, very queer indeed.

Oddly enough, however, was that Thranduil did not pay homage to any of these herdlands. He was a wanderer, a vagabond, traipsing the lands without a home, free as a careless gypsy... Almost like Leif himself. But the gold stag claimed that these lands were hospitable, but how could they be? Could they truly be that safe? Did Thranduil not have to worry about murder in the night? About being sold out? Found? Slain? A prize ripe for the taking?

Banjo was in the same regards to the gold, it seemed, for he also called the wildlands of Helovia his home. Bizarre... This land was so bizarre. Did Banjo not fear the unknown? Those that lurked in the shadows, ready to strike? Leif had no idea. It was all so very, very overwhelming, and slowly the stag opened his mouth to say just that.

"... I apologize, this is a lot of information to take in. I'm quite baffled." Herds, wildlands, and not-horses. If he hadn't known better, and if the ache in his belly didn't signal that he was growing quite hungry, Leif would believe that he was dreaming. Luckily this wasn't turning into a nightmare. Melodious vocals picked up once more, and Leif gave his antlered crown a shake in an attempt to clear his head.

"I believe... That I would like to see this Aurora Basin, Doe Elspeth," the crowned wanderer answered, blue-green eyes turning to dart upon the ivory and earthen tressed female, "Old habits die hard, I'm afraid, and I am not meant to be a wandering elk. I would like to see a herd in Helovia." Hopefully it would prove its safety, and hopefully they wouldn't see him and shun him, as so many others had.

Image Credit

@Elspeth
@Thranduil
@Banjo
"What if I fall?"

Well that was that. The gold listened with the same apathy. His annoyance was limited to some half back ears as Banjo continued to talk in terms of we. It wasn’t that the gold was always against such strange creatures (some were very fun indeed) but this one was so completely opposite of him it was nearly comical to the gold himself. Haldir for his part nodded vigorously in agreement, still firm in his like of the strange tailed creature.

The stag makes his choice, and the gold nodes, shrugging it off as something he didn’t mind happening. In fact he wasn’t really surprised, if the creature was to choose a herd, then the cold wintery basin would suit the animal well. Especially given the long snows, he would literally blend in. Only Haldir’s face falls slightly. He knew the chances of them going up to the mountains to visit this new friend were very slim indeed. So when the gold calls him again, he answers. Nodding to the white stag in some form of goodbye and turning back to the gold.

The gold gives no greeting to either the stag or Banjo (though Haldir also dips his head to the horsearoo), yet when he turns to Elspeth, he pauses. A smile, the first of the morning forms like a ghost on his face as one corner of his lips grow in a smirk. He had been annoyed at her perhaps, but her sass, as always, teased the gold into playing. So he pauses by her, looks to the white stag joining her, then back, addressing them both. “My regards to the Reaper.” He was an evil bastard leaving the outspoken woman to explain that one, but such was her payback. Tasseled tail flicking, and Haldir looking back still cheerful (though his mind still pondering worryingly over the gold's lack of mention of the Basin, and yet this tease), they slipped back into the misty morning.

OOC :: Thran and Haldir out =]
"speech"

Posting Poetics
credits

@Leif
@Elspeth
@Banjo
This has to be the most awkward thread, but its so much fun XD

Riven

Like elk-man (presumably), Banjo knew the bulging pressure of information-overload on the brain, it was like chockablock, snot-filled sinuses, only there was no blissful eruption when it all became too much; he understood as well the confusion, the giddying excitement and he still felt that residual sting from when the realisation of his own insignificance in the entirely foreign world called Helovia, had slapped him hard across the face. The horsaroo took it all on the the chin though, just like the good sport he was.

Perhaps he looked like a skilled threshold-veteran, standing, watching - cool as a cucumber. There was an element of anticipation though which made the game he and the two contrasting suitors were playing, rather addictive.

Leif’s marvellously unique eyes (mimicking beautiful reefs down under), danced bewilderedly between each speaker, until at last the giant rack of sticks above his head tossed to and fro - a signal to mark a reached verdict with any luck. Right on cue, the elk began to speak and to Banjo’s (well concealed) dismay , he announced that his preference lay with the freckle-nosed female, El… Est… Elsie? The boomer nodded amicably and aimed a grin in the winner’s direction; well played. Silently he wondered what the life she offered up their in the basin, would hold. One day he would make the trek north to find it, see for himself. For now though, he had promised to find more newcomers, and offer them sanctuary among Helovia’s ‘Unbound’.

As the two-horned bloke shrugged his indifference, Banjo looked back to the happy couple. “It’s been bonza. See ya ‘round like a ringworm mates!” he offered cheerfully, including the well-natured mini-deer who’s subtle form of farewell was gratefully noted. Nosily, long ears drifted forward as the sound of the other stallion’s exclusive remark marred the air and he pondered it quietly, not for one second able to figure a meaning. Shrugging his own shoulders then, the horsaroo touched one claw to the rim of his hat, turned and hopped slowly away through the undergrowth.  

Plenty more fish in the sea...

Banjo out :)
I run just like this!