the Rift

[PRIVATE] I don't wanna be your hero

Zèklè Posts: 166
Outcast atk: 8.0 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Colt :: Pegasus :: 14.1 :: Three HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
charks
Zèklè
She refused to take any of his bullshit, something managed to both anger the boy and fill him with relief. Part of him wished she would just let it go, just let him go on pretending that it was okay, that he was okay- that she would let him use her as a way to hide, because it was so much easier to pretend to be happy when you didn't want someone to see you sad.

On the other hand, Zero had never been great at pretending to be something he was not (not in the make-believe sense - he was fabulous at that). It was too complicated, too hard, too muck like trying to hold back a river, or stay out of the rain. Eventually something was going to get in, and the harder he resisted the harder it became. He wanted so much to let go, to tell her everything, and yet...

And yet he was afraid. Afraid that by being weak, by being sad, he would somehow disappoint her. Badasses never got sad - he certainly couldn't imagine Gaucho ever being sad - and if they did they didn't show it, and he had promised to be her badass, after all. He'd made that promise, and others, and now as he stared up at her earnest gold eyes the sinking realization came to him: he'd already failed her, because after all, had he even gone looking for her after Ampere left? Zero had been so preoccupied, so caught up in his own stupid grief, he hadn't even thought about the promise he'd made to Själ, that he'd give her a home where she'd never be alone.

He'd been just as bad as Ampere. Just as bad as her Ma.

"Själ..." the boy whispered, his voice trembling beneath the weight of his own self-anger (self-pity, if we're being honest), "...how can you even offer that, after how awful I've been? I- I promised I'd bring you home an', an' then everything got so messed up an' Ma was gone an' I jus'- I mean, I didn't mean to, but-"

He struggled, faltering, the passion in his voice rising to another strangled sob. Zero stared forlornly at his hooves, unable to look at her anymore, unwilling to face the hurt he was sure was in her eyes.

(He was really getting this whole martyrdom thing down.)

"I'm sorry, Själ," he whispered at last. "You're my friend, an' I promised you wouldn' be alone, an' I know your Ma left you, an' I shoulda come back an' found you sooner." The boy paused, his sunbeam eyes clouded as he stared fixedly at the ground. "How come we hurt the people we love? "

At last the boy looks up, his bright eyes pleading as they searched her face, his espression a hopeless mask of confusion, of despair. "I never wanted to hurt you, Själ."
baby needs some protection - but i'm a kid like everyone else
Image Credits!

Messages In This Thread
I don't wanna be your hero - by Zèklè - 07-02-2016, 09:26 PM
RE: I don't wanna be your hero - by Själ - 07-02-2016, 09:45 PM
RE: I don't wanna be your hero - by Zèklè - 07-02-2016, 10:16 PM
RE: I don't wanna be your hero - by Själ - 07-02-2016, 10:34 PM
RE: I don't wanna be your hero - by Zèklè - 07-02-2016, 11:06 PM
RE: I don't wanna be your hero - by Själ - 07-02-2016, 11:22 PM
RE: I don't wanna be your hero - by Zèklè - 07-03-2016, 12:03 AM
RE: I don't wanna be your hero - by Själ - 07-03-2016, 12:50 AM