the Rift

[OPEN] Dragging the chain

Banjo Posts: 37
Absent Abyss atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.0
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 16hh :: 4 HP: 62.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Riven

The aching sinuses, burning throat and pounding head, he just couldn’t for the life of him ditch (what had it been, a week already? a year?), but the stagnant, stale, stifling air in the threshold, he could and would until the putrid stink of mould no longer pestered his guts to heave. If Banjo was going to continue to suffer the demoralising, deathly effects of this ‘man-flu’, he was going to do it in relative comfort.

And quiet.

It would be like a little holiday, a weekend away, without the need for chatting up every man and his dog on Ashamin’s behalf - although, it was normally a job he rather loved. The sickly buck lay like a corpse, motionless (perhaps a little melodramatically), sniffing back streams of endless golden snot from his gaping nostrils and relishing the deep shade thrown by all the long grass; purple thistles too that seemed determined to stab and jab any upright movement he made.

The torment of life was just all too much to bear…

So on that spot, he went to sleep.

The throbbing pulse in his ears quickly became rolling, rumbling thunder, high in the heart of building. black clouds. Burning, bleary eyes blinked against every blinding flash (they were coming faster and faster); electric yellow, striking the earth viciously, violently, and with each fork of lightning came a deafening CRACK! upon impact.

The summer had been sultry and oppressive, the first like it in nearly a decade, and the promise of rain, of the brewing storm overhead, sent the hardy creatures of the outback into a frenzy of activity; anticipation and excitement fuelling their mood. Wombats, who's deep subterranean burrows stood no chance against such events, were scurrying busily, grouchily, finding for themselves sanctuary in seldom seen, higher-up places. Insectivorous birds, wag-tails, silvereyes and swallows, all swooped and swerved amid clouds of churning flies, and their less ambitious cousins hunkered down beneath whatever shelter they saw fit.

Snakes and lizards alike, flattened their scaly stomaches against the residual warmth of hard, red rock, and taking advantage of their foolish, last minute harvest were cunning old kookaburras, descending upon their unsuspecting prey with sharp clacking beaks. It was madness, hysteria, and as the first giant droplets of rain smacked against the parched, dusty ground, the rousing chorus hit its peak!

Then suddenly, everything but the booming thunder lulled, and the landscape all at once was empty.

Banjo watched with gleaming eyes, revelling in that sweet smell which signified the moment before a deep soak, a cleanse - and bloody oath was that overdue. One pale, furry arm was slumped about the shoulders of his sister, the splitting image of himself, yet younger and bathed in sweet, soft femininity. Whiskered lips sank to nuzzle adoringly at the smooth fur between her long ears; their cave was set into the upper rise of a hill (one of only a handful in the horribly, boringly flat stretch of world), and the careful buck knew well that she’d be safe from the fury outside.

They'd lingered a day longer than they should have…

Open to anyone :)
Plots | The Unbound | Absences
I run just like this!
Please tag me in openers and spars.
Feel free to flog n magic me, mild power play is also fine.
Text in the profile and posts reflects stereotypical ocker slang - don’t knock it mate!

Ovidius Posts: 36
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 10 | dam: 2.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 13.3hh :: 3 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Eris
OVIDIUS

It wasn't often that she was the one to find another, more often it was the other way around.

But this time, in the sunny meadow of violet thistles, the petite girl stumbled upon the prone form of a... mister. Quite literally, actually. Ovidius literally tripped and fell over the odd hybrid creature, letting loose a graceless grunt as her trajectory caused the forwardmost horn upon her face to become lodged in the earth. She gasped, legs tangled about her tail and the body of the whatever-he-was.

"Jeeze!" She spat, wriggling and struggling to free her horn from the dirt. The length of her tail that was not tangled in her own legs lashed angrily, onyx tuft of hair thwacking and slapping against the unknown creature, "Sorry mister, I didn't - eugh!" At last her horn was torn free from the earth and Ovidius was able to focus on disentangling her self from her own self and the stranger.

With another grunt, the onyx lass hauled herself to her hooves, taking a few steps back and staring down at the strange gent with worry creasing her face. A moment of consideration passed as she appraised him, whiskered muzzle, clawed feet, festive hat and all. Cocking her head to the side, Ovi cut off her internal stream of questions, "Really, mister, I'm sorry about that. I didn't see you. Are you okay?"

The last thing she needed today was to piss off a giant horse-claw fashionista and get her butt kicked... again.

@Banjo
Just to prove I'm not a runner,
I'll be coming with my guns up,
Shooting at the moon to bring the sun up.

Riven

Safe.

As they lingered in the cool, dry, dark, sheets of rain began to plunge before a biting, driving wind; Banjo shivered as he watched, the warmth of the small girl at his side a stark contrast to the side opposite which lay exposed. She was everything to him, both sister and best friend alike, and he would do anything to defend her.

He would’ve done anything to protect her…

Thunder boomed again, but there was something unsettling about it this time, an ominousness that echoed long after the vibration had dulled in the air around them; it was enough to cause the careful back’s breath to catch in his throat. Lightning cracked loudly beyond their cave, close, and green eyes startled shut to guard against the fierce electric-yellow light produced. When they peeled apart once more, he saw the frightening fork recoiling - a tongue, a snake, glistening scales, sly and wicked.

He’d seen the cold, heartless creature before.

“…no, you bastard!”

Panicked, he turned to his sister; she was lying, dead, foam pooling beneath jaws agape. They were back on that mountain trail in the bush and Banjo’s mournful cry rang out through the thin air, just like it had all those many years ago. But there was another voice suddenly, ‘…jeeze!’ And he turned to find the taipan face down, half buried in the red, dry earth - “wait… what?” he blurted, eyes furrowing beneath a thickening cloud of confusion (that wasn’t right?).

The serpent wriggled and lashed, whipping against him ridiculously, and suddenly the sun was hot against his hide; trees were swaying violently…

‘Sorry mister, I didn't - eugh!’

The thing came free and the buck stared down at it before swapping to the corpse of the beloved child - but she was gone! “I don’t…” he began, tortured by the absurdity unfolding, but it all began to dissolve away.

He was resting upright, propped across pointed elbows and above him loomed a stranger, a mare (perhaps?), with about as many spikes on her face as he had fingers; she was rising, backing up, head dithering as her queer golden eyes beamed concern down upon him. The horsaroo’s blocked nose scrunched; his mind strained through perplexity (foggy to begin with), all grip on reality more than lost. “I… I’m f… are you full quid?” What on earth was going on? His own gaze snagged on the mess of markings she wore upon a coat of pure ebony, the strangeness she embodied.

Was he dead?

@Ovidius
I run just like this!
Text in the profile and posts reflects stereotypical ocker slang - don’t knock it mate!

Eris
OVIDIUS

"I… I’m f… are you full quid?"

The little mare groaned, her eyes falling shut and a front hoof stamping in frustration. The dazed look, the nonsense words - there was only one explanation; she had given the mister a concussion. Brow creasing, Ovi stomped her hoof again, anger at herself rising up in her belly. She was no nurse, she knew no healers, how was she going to help this festive-hatted creature get better?

"Look, mister," her eyes were screaming a series of silent apologies, her body language tense and uncomfortable as the bruises from her tumble began to make themselves known. "I really didn't see you, I'm sorry. I don't know what quid is and I don't know if I'm full of it, but I sure don't want you getting sick." She looked about, almost frantic, "There's a stream right over there, do you need help standing? Do you want me to bring you to water?"

Not for the first time in her short life, Ovi cursed the pointed golden appendages that adorned her spine and skull, knowing full well that she would have at least been able to drape the massive creature over her back and drag both of them to the water if not for the spikes. Alas, she was a spikey, prickly lass and it couldn't be helped. Taking a step closer to the prone form of the male, Ovidius carefully folded her front legs beneath her, laying before the stranger in a show of harmlessness.

"Please don't be mad. Everything is gonna be okay, it was an honest accident. Are you here with anyone? Tell me how to help."

@Banjo

Riven

Mad as a cut snake she was. Banjo’s eyes began to glaze as his classically masculine mind distanced itself from the thorny woman’s maniacal reaction, and molars collided heavily between stiffening jaws. The frenzy in an otherwise melodic voice hacked brutally at his throbbing ears - like a raucous white cockatoo up close and personal during spring (a thing that nobody even in their left mind should fancy). There was no denying her remorse as it engulfed her very eccentric being there before him, and he tried in vain to find space between her rambling to smile graciously, soothingly, and insist that all was well.

Then all of a sudden, most unexpectedly, the female was upon the ground once more, lying with him in the grass - strange pools of liquid gold pouring into his bewildered green gaze.

“Woah, woah woah!” he purged at long last before her flailing tongue could spew any further. “I forgive ya, you're off the hook!” That’s all she wanted to hear right? That should be enough to console that rabid guilt? With some slow awkwardness Banjo’s body erected and trying boldly to shun the instant wave of lightheadedness away, grinned broadly. He realised as he poised momentarily above, that the mare was rather small, easily shorter in length - and that wasn’t even including his tail! All in all, she was stranger looking than any other he’d so far come across in Helovia - and that, he thought, was a remarkable thing.

“Call me Banj,” he offered quickly thereafter, tipping the rim of his cork hat briefly across his eyes. The thoughtful horsaroo made a diligent effort to subdue the stream of snot oozing from his nose, but it was an impossible feat. He turned from her for only a minute to drill his pressure-filled face into the flattened grass, and then sighed, “count on me to get crook in spring, ay. Don’t suppose you have some magic to get rid of it?”

@Ovidius
I run just like this!

Eris
OVIDIUS

He was staring at her as if she was mad, and maybe she was.

But it was not the time to consider the eccentricities that made up her personality and consciousness. Squirming beneath the stranger's cryptic jade green gaze, Ovidius' lips parted to spew another stream of nervous apologies only to be halted by the heavily accented voice of the creature. Though seemingly panicked, the mister's forgiveness wrenched a relieved sigh from the mare, worry and tension leaking from her golden bones like water from a punctured gourd.

She noted that the grin he gave her seemed to come from a place of difficulty and she couldn't help but feel another pang of guilt. Then again, as she eyed the endless stream of mucus leaking from the gent's nose, the source of his discomfort may not have been her fault. Head tilting to the side, Ovi allowed herself a moment to study the newcomer, just as it seemed that he was studying her. Glancing back at her spiked back, the lass gave a mental shrug, understandable to say the least, I look pretty funky as well.

"Call me Banj," he said, turning away to press his face in the grass before speaking in that exotic way of his once more. She nodded, doing her best to understand his slang and hoping she got the correct gist of it before replying, "Getting crook sounds wretched, and no, unfortunately I don't have any sort of magic save this dazzling smile." Ovi gave a halfhearted laugh to her attempt at humor, her nerves getting the best of her. "My Daddy used to sneeze a lot in the summer when the pollen from the wheatgrasses got thick. You could try dunking your head in water while blowing your nose, it helped him well enough."

Another shrug, though it was in the physical realm this time around.

@Banjo