the Rift

[OPEN] so long

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali

I took my time going back to the Throat when I finally left the Threshold. I had a lot to think about in the time it would take me to walk back to the place that I had called home for many seasons. That Uncle Archi had asked me to go back to the Falls with him had taken me by complete surprise because he'd never meantioned me going to live there with him before. What surprised me more was that I was thinking about it, but what else could I do? It would be rude to outright tell him 'no' and it would be even more rude to just agree and not say anything to the ones I cared about in the Throat. It wasn't a decision that I was excited about making. The more I thought about it the more I felt like my stomach was tied in knots.

Time and distance seemed to go by far too quickly because before I knew it I was staring at the Throat from across the water. I wondered, as I stood there staring at the sandy shores, if Ros would be more willing to visit me if I didn't live some place she hated. I wondered if Momma would be happy to see me, or if Murtagh would be excited to have his sister in the Falls with him. I wondered what I would do there and if everyone would openly accept me as one of their own, if they would compare me to Momma and come up disappointed when they realized I was nothing like her. It didn't take me long after that to realize that I was actually considering trying to live in the Falls.

I heaved a sigh because I knew what I had to do next. I had to tell Gaucho and Cera so they wouldn't think that I was just abandoning them. I loved them both too much to just go live somewhere else without saying anything at all. So I took to the sky and flew over to the place that was my home and as I landed I knew that I would miss feeling the sand under my hooves and relentless warmth of the sun on my back. It was enough to make me doubt the decision I was making, but if I didn't like the Falls I could come back, right?

"Cera!" I called for my brother first and hoped that he would find me quickly. "Gaucho!" I called for the sultan next and I almost called for Rhoa, but decided against it because he probably wouldn't care by now. My teeth clicked as my jaw snapped shut and I looked around, hoping to spot one of the two stallions that I had called for.

"."

in your heart you know what you must do
you've only got yourself to answer to
don't let fear of falling hold you down
your spirits flying high above the clouds

@Cera @Gaucho

aud pixel!

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit

Hot, arid wind caressed the pale tendrils upon the Prince's crest, tickling them gently across his skin and offering a brief respite from the heat he had lived in the entirety of his life. His rank did not ask him to patrol as often as the warriors of the sand, his duties restricted to merely patrolling in the wilds when he was called upon for each season. Cera had always taken it upon himself to do them nonetheless, if only to excuse the warriors from the tail end hours of their duties. He understood their desires for time alone, relaxation, but he always privately hoped that instead they would seek out their loved ones with the spare time he had afforded them. They are not Midas, Ilaria reminded him softly from his shoulders, tail flicking idle even as she projected sad understanding upon Cera's psyche. Cera sighed softly, aware of the fact that she was right, but it never stopped him from patrolling anyways. As if he had anywhere else to be, anything else to be doing. Ranjiri had disappeared just as silently as the boy they'd taken under their wings together, leaving Cera bereft and orphaned once more. There was nothing left but his duties and his faith, and so he threw himself into them whole-heartedly. You can't dwell with sweat pouring down flanks and head buzzing from orders, after all. 

The curve of the ocean cutting up the earth and sand is familiar, as are the jutting shadows of the statues he had not helped create. But standing on the shores, an inky shape hesitating past the shallows, is a figure that is clearly out of place. Frowning softly to himself, Cera dipped his right wing towards the crystal waters below, drifting closer to the shore where the land bridge had once existed. The closer he came the more he squinted down upon the solitary figure, dipping the bridges of his wings and allowing the wind to slice over them, dropping his altitude as he fell from the sky to approach the solitary figure on the sands. 

Only it's not some random face appearing out of the glare of the sun, it's his sister.

He would know Ranjiri by touch alone. He would know her deaf or blind. He would discern her soul from the way she laughs and carries herself, the shadows of her heart and the weight of the demons he has carried for her. He knows her here and now, when she is but a blend of colors against the sand and surf, and there is nothing on earth or in heaven that could keep him from going to her in that moment. 

Ilaria's fear and joy rides alongside his own like bloodthirsty hounds braying and racing against one each other, and the wind slices over the curves of his body as he lets gravity pull him bodily back to his sister. The only center of gravity he has ever needed, finally restored with her return. Cera lands in a spray of sand and sharply protesting limbs, Ilaria scratching his shoulders to hell as she clings to him through the bumpy ride. There's no time to shake out the sting of his landing because there is too much space between the siblings in that moment. He races towards her, angelic wings arcing to envelop her joyously and lips eagerly searching out her face. 

"Ranjiri," he breathed sweetly across the crevices and valleys of her beautiful face, a benediction. "You've come home," he notes softly, heart crying with relief at her safety. "Are you well? Where did you go?" Why did you leave me again? But Cera is so very tired of asking his family that question, and so he does not let it form on his tongue. The answers always hurt him more than not knowing. 

Cross my heart and hope to die
I'll see you with your laughter lines
I am Ceraaaa
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd

Gaucho was not far behind Cera.

It was Vorsa who had alerted the fiery stallion to Ranjiri's call. She had been in the air while Mara and Gaucho drank from the Oasis. The image of Ranjiri from her mind brought an immediate smile to the Wildfire's lips, and he immediately ceased his moment of relaxation and took to the air behind the phoenix. As the trio cleared one of the larger sand dunes, he spied Cera as well, and his grin widened. For all the stress in his life, for all of his tense moments with the two below, it still did his heart good to see them.

They were family after all.

The dun landed lightly on the sand just to the right and a little behind Cera. Gaucho's flaming wings folded easily against his flanks, and he found his mind unburdened by thoughts of Sohalia and Ampere for the first time in weeks.

Vorsa trilled happily, gliding around Ranjiri's head first, and then Cera's. She too was glad to see them just as Gaucho was, and her joy was clearly spread across her bright orangey-red face.

"Jiji. Cera." He greeted each in turn, nodding his blocky antlered skull. He hadn't heard - nor had Vorsa - Ranjiri calling his name, and as he stood before the two near-siblings, he wondered if he was interrupting. And so, he asked. "Gaucho interrupting?"

Mara slithered forward, raising herself off of Gaucho's brow bone and sticking her forked tongue out towards the two in her own silent greeting.

Gaucho the Wildfire
If this is to end in fire
Then we should all burn together

Art by: schwartze @ DA
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

I didn't have to wait long for Cera, i never did. He was wonderful like that; I called for him and he was there. He breathed my name and before the last syllable fell from his lips I was already greedily burying myself in his feathers. i let his scent and his warmth wash over me and chase away all the anxiety that and heaviness that I'd carried with me all the way from the Threshold. "I'm sorry." I whispered against Cera's flesh. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to, really i didn't. I didn't pay attention to where I was going and then I was gone and I didn't mean to leave without telling you and I'm sorry!" I was babbling and as I babled the anxiety and the heaviness came back, but this time it brought guilt with it because I knew I would be leaving Cera again. For the longest time we were all we had, it was us against the world and I was making things different. I was putting the distance back that had been there when our father had been alive. "You know I love you, right?"

When Gaucho arrived I pulled myself away from my brother and turned to face him. Before I even realized what I was doing I was rushing rushing to him. Gaucho had been biggest father figure I'd had in my life, and I was trying to bury myself against him in an effort to hide from my issues. The two of them would definitely be the hardest to walk away from and it made me have more doubts about leaving, but I wanted to get to know Murtagh better. I wanted to actually be his sister and teach him like Cera had taught me and I couldn't do that from the Throat or anywhere else besides the Falls. "And I love you, too." I murmured before pulling myself away from Gaucho, too.

"I uhm... I called for you both because... I was in the Threshold and Unc- Archibald asked me to go live in the Falls..." I had been looking down at the ground, but as my voice trailed I lifted my gaze to Cera first then to Gaucho. "My mom is there... and I have a little brother..." My eyes trailed back to Cera and I stared at him. He, if anyone, would understand how it felt being separated from a sibling that you cared about. We had spent our entire childhood miles and miles apart because of our parents. I had an opportunity to reconnect with my mother and to spend time with and love my little brother and it wasn't something that I could just pass up. The more I thought about it and justified it to myself the more it seemed that I'd made my decision, but it didn't make telling Cera and Gaucho and saying goodbye any easier.

"So... I guess I just wanted to tell you both goodbye." I frowned at the words then pressed on. "And... and that this isn't an easy decision because you're my family, too, and I love you both so much." I couldn't leave again and not say anything to them. They both deserved better than that. "I understand if you're upset with me... and I'm sorry." I murmured because I didn't know what else to say.

"."

@Cera @Gaucho

aud pixel!
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd

(Ali said I could reply just to get a few things moving along!)

The dun was certainly not expecting to see what appeared to be dismay on Ranjiri’s features, and certainly did not expect to find her rushing towards him. Like a confused Father who would nonetheless always welcome an embrace from their child, even if they did not know why one was being offered, Gaucho’s wings reflexively moved aside and then curled around Jiji’s dark body. He pressed her against him, sensing her need for comfort, but still not understanding why. His stormy gaze rose to Cera, looking confused and perplexed, and despite the fact that sophisticated non-verbal communication was not his strong suit, he nonetheless seemed to be asking Cera for an explanation.

“Gaucho love-“ He was going to complete the sentence, but then Ranjiri was pulling away from him and looked as though she was going to speak again, so he let the words die in the departing tangle of her mane.

Archibald. Gaucho received this word with a gentle exhalation. After all this time, was this supposed to be the warlord’s revenge? Had he ever let go of the grudge that he stupidly held against Gaucho? The dun had thought that he had, but now? Ranjiri had been away from the Falls for years now, why call her back now? But that answered his own question. What sort of revenge would this be anyways? Gaucho’s speculation came to an abrupt end as Ranjiri began to speak of her family, and how it had grown. Any animosity or anger that Gaucho might have had, died with the words that she spoke.

If no one else, Gaucho understood how much family meant. He would never refuse her this…not that she was asking.

“Never upset with Jiji.” Gaucho said at last, his voice soft and sombre. “Gaucho missed Jiji, but Gaucho understand. Ties strong with Falls still-“ (though perhaps they wouldn’t be once Gaucho learned of the child of Kaj and Sohalia … Then again, perhaps that wouldn’t matter, as the palimino was no longer in charge. But but of these were facts Gaucho was ignorant of) “-Gaucho come visit. And Jiji always welcome here. You are family.”

The Wildfire stood tall and forced a smile. As she had said, this wasn’t an easy decision for her, but family ought to trump all. Gaucho would not make it harder for her with a sad goodbye. And, as he said, they could visit each other often. He would not make the mistakes of her real Father and allow distance to tarnish their relationship.

Gaucho the Wildfire
If this is to end in fire
Then we should all burn together

Art by: schwartze @ DA
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit

Ilaria wiggled between the arch of Cera's pale wings to his hindquarters as the siblings collided like exploding stars. They held each other as if trying to impress scent and shape into one another's skin, try and make up for the time and distance that had lain between them for so long. With her new vantage point her warm ocher eyes alighted on Gaucho's descending form. Gaucho is here, she whispered into Cera's mind, not wanting to disturb him from his emotional reunion with his sister. A measure of tension slipped from the paint's shoulders at the knowledge, his trust in Gaucho and his gratitude for his presence both too massive to be measured. Ranjiri's babbling ran over in his ears, and Cera ran his lips gently across the ebony expanse of her sun-warm skin, too tired to hold a grudge against his beloved sister. There would be time later for apologies and catching up. For now he simply drifted in the current of her love, remembering what it felt like to have solid earth beneath his feet instead of wandering aimlessly, purposeless and lonely. 

"It doesn't matter," Cera stated softly, as matter of fact as he could manage. The Prince withdrew to stare into her eyes, soft and crinkled at the corners with dissipating worry. "You're here now. That's all I care about." The how and where and why had no meaning or place if it had not left a permanent mark on his little sister. So long as she was whole and happy, returned to his side, Cera could not care less why she had left. Even if it prompted her to ask peculiar questions. 

Cera's cherubic face tilted to regard her, a slight frown pulling at his lips at the seemingly random question. "Of course I know that. And I love you, as well." It was simply a truth of the universe. The sun rose and fell, the tides danced to the tune of the moon, and Cera loved Ranjiri. It was a concrete rule, unchanging and immortal. Even in his darkest days and their roughest patches, Cera's love for his sister would never waver. No matter what she did. 

Cera stepped aside obligingly as Gaucho approached, a fond smile on his face as Ranjiri raced to Gaucho's breast, as he had known she would. But as his Sultan's face twisted into a confused, silent question, Cera could only frown in reply and shake his head. I don't know, he shrugged helplessly. As intimately as he knew his baby sister, he could not make heads or tails of why she was acting this way. Until she seemed to realize their confusion, and stumbled through her act of clarity. 

Every muscle in Cera's body went stiff with realization, long before Ranjiri revealed the decision she'd made. Cera, Ilaria spoke in a rush, reaching out for her bonded, scared for his reaction. Ranjiri had been born in the Falls, after all. She had not experienced being so far from family. Nor had she suffered through Midas abandoning the Throat to rule the Falls, when he had never done so for the sake of family before. And Cera had been left stranded on the shores of the Throat, because his heart was buried here in the clay and loam. There was nothing for him out there in the wilderness, and Ktulu's side of the family had never been his to claim. And here stood his sister, making the same decision Midas had, and Cera was helpless to stop her. Because he would never beg her to change her mind, would never cause her that kind of emotional turmoil just because his heart happened to be breaking. 

And on top of all of this...a little brother. And by all rights that should be his little brother too, but if it was Ktulu's child...though he and Ranjiri had been undeniably siblings regardless of blood, he could not claim this colt in the same fashion. Her little brother. But wasn't Cera her brother? What about him? 

Gaucho spared him trying to find his voice first, and as the Sultan spoke Cera swallowed silently past the agony and defeat in his throat. He summoned a small smile for his sister, careful not to let her see how he was feeling. Because Cera loved Ranjiri, and whatever made her happy, Cera would support. He would not allow his personal feelings to ruin a voyage already fraught with change and nerves. She deserved better than that. He owed her more than that as her older brother. 

Though Gaucho had said all that truly needed to be said, Cera could not simply let her leave without his own goodbyes. He could not be that little boy sobbing and begging his father to come back. Those days were long gone, and he was a stallion, not an emotional colt. He should be past this. 

"We are never far," he promised softly, verdant orbs sad but not overly so. Cera needed so badly for Ranjiri to believe the facade, and he had never worked harder to make one so believable. "You will be an amazing big sister. I taught you, after all," he remarked playfully, wanting one last smile to save in his memory before he had to let her go. Possibly forever, even with the promise of visits. Because a visit was impermanent. He may never get her back. "Go. Find your place. We will be here if you ever need us." And Cera gestured towards Gaucho, his hooves drawing him closer to the bay brute unconsciously, desperately needing the strength and support the Wildfire's presence offered. And with a parting touch to Ranjiri's muzzle, Cera smiled sadly. "Goodbye, little tike. I love you." Always. Even if she broke his heart over and over again. 

Cross my heart and hope to die
I'll see you with your laughter lines
I am Ceraaaa
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!

I couldn't really believe my ears when Cera said that it didn't matter that I had been gone. Of course it mattered! I wanted to yell. I had been stupid and had whittled away my time with him because I was upset at Rhoa. I had left him to worry and fret over my like I had done countless times over my friends when they disappeared. I was terrible and there was no way I'd ever be able to make it up to my brother. He wouldn't even let me apologize to him properly for being so terrible. "I'm sorry." I murmured again before rushing toward Gaucho.

I breathed a soft sigh of relief when Gaucho said that he wasn't upset with me for leaving the Throat. I had expected him to be disappointed and for him to ask me to stay, but all he said was that he understood, that my ties with the Falls were strong, that he would come visit and that I was always welcome. "I would like that." I whispered and i hoped that It was a promise that he'd keep. I hoped that it was a promise that Cera would make, too, because I didn't think I could live if I never saw him again. He was too big a part of my heart.

When it seemed that Gaucho was finished speaking I turned to Cera. Saying goodbye to Gaucho was hard because he'd been the most prominant father figure I'd had in my life. He'd been there when I learned to fly, he was there when my father died, he was there for his burial, he taught me to fight and I loved him like he was truly my father. But Cera had been with me for so much longer. I had memores of Cera and myself playing tag in the Foothills while Momma watched. Of us napping in the grass until Momma woke us up to tell us that Midas was there to take Cera back home. I could remember us picking out shapes in the clouds, making up silly stories about why Momma was so grumpy, and laughing until we cried. Now I was crying and it wasn't because I was happy, but because I was going to miss them so terribly.

"We are never far." He said and I nodded my head."I know." I whispered, but it felt like so far. Cera said I would be an amazing big sister and I nodded again, choking out a laugh when he said he taught me. "I had the best teacher." I admitted and then he was telling me to go find my place. How long had my place been right there at his side as Cera's little sister? I still felt like my place was still right there with him, but I just couldn't ignore that I had a little brother in the Falls. It was bad enough that he  was already a year old and I hardly knew him.

"Goodbye, little tike. I love you."

Tears rolled down my cheeks as Cera said his goodbye. It hurt not only because it was a goodbye but because he didn't make the same promise that Gaucho did. "I love you more." I whispered. "I'll come see you." I promised. I couldn't bear anymore goodbyes so I turned and I left. I just hoped that my tears would dry up before I made it to the Falls.

"."

@Cera @Gaucho

aud pixel!