the Rift

[PRIVATE] From War

Ashamin the Clovenheart Posts: 426
Outcast atk: 8 | def: 11.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 HH :: 5 [Frostfall] HP: 79 | Buff: NUMB
Lochan :: Plain Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Rakt :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast Jen

The last thing that Ashamin or his companions needed on that hot Tallsun night was fire. Unfortunately, it was what they got. The Clovenheart had been reading over the words on the antlers given to him by the Moon Goddess and found no power in them. Over and over again he had tried variations, attempted to tease out a meaning from the runes, and been met with dull silence. But just when the sun grew so hot that its effects stretched into the evening, just when Ashamin would have begged for cool silence, the incantation screamed out in his mind and he understood. Maybe it was something he had always known, had always seen etched in small corners of the world.

In reality, it was his mother's lost tongue carved in bone. And when he spoke it he spoke a whisper, something that flared up as if the tongue of his dam were the tongue of fire itself. The flame came from war.

Lochan and Rakt jumped back in fear, their eyes wide and stances instantaneously defensive. They were seconds from running into the woods when the fire shot up from the antler tips, first as high as a foot before settling into cool wisps of gold. Ashamin himself, who had been lying beside the artifact, scrabbled back and tried to stand. Fire was not an element he knew, and fire was not an element he could control. At least it hadn't been, not up until now.

He watched the flame die as it reflected in his eyes, and for a moment it seemed as if their coal pits were alive for the first time. When the flames burned they revealed, too, more runes, but ash still clogged their carvings and the Clovenheart suspected they would not be clear to him for some time.

When the fire was gone he looked around as if he had lost something, even though he had learned so much. His companions stood with their sides pressed together and their own antlers cast down, shaking, as if to ward away some evil that had been summoned. Ashamin turned swiftly, circling the antlers on the ground and wondering if he'd been spotted. The flame would have served as a beacon cutting through these heavy red woods, and would attract attention in the dark and hot night. But when the painted buck looked he saw there was nothing, and there was no one, and for the moment the spell the Clovenheart had murmured beneath his breath was a secret one. Scared and unsure he stopped, standing alert, and let his breath fall in the wind.

""
Ashamin

@Vincent! :D

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead

Vincent Posts: 32
Outcast
Stallion :: Equine :: 19.0 :: 10 Buff: NOVICE
Claribel :: Irish Wolfhound :: None Sparrow

V I N C E N T

I raised myself.
My legs were weak.
I prayed my mind be good to me.

He would have been utterly terrified if his exhaustion hadn't been so pure, so palpable, so... Circumferential. Swallowing him, eating him, spitting him out as a rotting carcass.

How long had he been wandering? Deviating? Rambling and roaming and hiding? He didn't know. Time no longer had meaning when one lived in a constant state of dread, panic, and anxiety. The brute's large, robust head was low between his forelegs, muzzle nearly scraping the dry earth that he passed over in stumbling, unsteady, blubbering steps. Large hooves, too large, overgrowing and chipped, sought purchase on stable ground through unsteady legs, muscles feeling like coils that had been pulled taut, too tight, irreplaceable and damaged for good.

Dust coated the coward's black hide, staining him, marring him, ruining him, summer burrs clinging to the behemoth's long, untamed tresses, and upon the thick matted hairs upon his hooves. Dull golden eyes stared forward without seeing, vacant, soulless molten orbs prying through the darkness that did little to cloak him.

Where was he? When was he?

Vincent did not know.

All he knew was that he was lost, irreversibly lost, mentally, physically, soulfully lost, and he lacked the guidance that he so desperately needed, so desperately craved.

Archibald...? "A-A..." Fruitless. Foolish. He was not there to save him. Not now.

He would have gone to the Hidden Falls, but he didn't remember the way. He would have stopped to snack on dry, brittle grasses, to fill his sunken flanks, but he couldn't find any food. He would have done a lot of things, but...

He didn't. Couldn't.

That damnable, condemning, suffocating terror hadn't let him free from its grasp in so many suns, so many moons, and Vincent no longer knew where he was. How long had he been in hiding? How long? The fear no longer held him under its powerful sway, replaced instead by an all consuming exhaustion that made him feel as though someone had cut him open, filled him with rocks, and sutured him shut. All he could deduce was that it was summer, and that he was lost.

The trees passed in a blur, the distant sounds of a hot summer's night passing unheard within his ears. Nothing registered within his muddled brain, rattling about in his too-large head, nothing, except... Except -

Fire.

It was sudden, to his left, sudden and flaring and bright and terrible, and the black behemoth released a pitiable moan from cracked lips, golden eyes going from vacant to a bright, vibrant, glowing molten color. Fear snagged his heart, tugging, pulling, but exhausting held him rooted to the spot.

The glowing remained, shining, pointing him out like a black smear upon a flawless canvas, head tilted towards the flames before they dwindled and disappeared entirely, leaving behind a spotted specter among the summer darkness. Vincent eyed the stranger warily, nostrils flaring in large, sharp inhales of panicked breaths, and the terror had him by the throat, stealing his voice, his words, cracked lips opening and croaking out a sound.

"S-s-sorry." For showing up, for arriving, stuttering and scared and so damn tired.

Image Credits

@Ashamin <3

I raised myself.
My legs were weak.

Ashamin didn't realize that when the fire left him, it would be so difficult to see. His pupils grew wide, but to any observer his eyes would appear fixed--entirely the same. He also hadn't expected to need to adjust so quickly, but the voice that he heard from behind him demanded attention. Lochan and Rakt had looked nervous before, but now--illuminated by some other gold light--they looked as if they had seen death. Since he no longer remembered what it was to fear, Ashamin turned to face it.

So it seemed that death was a Clydesdale, or a draft of some enormous sort, accompanied by a canine. Even the Clovenheart could not help but take a step back in shock, for he'd never seen a beast so large. But this creature, this death, shook and stuttered, apologized and moaned the cry of solitude. Did death not wish to carry out his duty, or was he only a mortal thing?

Having always been just a little bit stupid when it came to common sense, and knowing not what else to say, Ashamin just shook his head no and smiled. "Don't be," he said to the magnificent tower of a threat, to a creature taller than the gods who still lived. "I'm Ashamin," he said with little regard while his two companions panicked, each fearing some curse to fall upon their bonded, who so readily and foolishly gave his name.

The night was thick though, and its stench was one of muted power. With the flames reduced to nothing, and still apparently difficult to control, Ashamin felt a sort of helplessness that he expected extended even to his new gargantuan company. As if in response to the glowing gold of the stranger's marked eye, Ashamin's own chest, which so often glowed subtly, brightened its blue.

Leave, Rakt moaned across their bond, sending bloody splatters along with the word. The presence of the dog and the giant unsettled the red cerndyr to the point where he'd communicate, which meant something. Lochan, though, had stilled into something like acceptance. If Ashamin was calm, then the little eye would watch with as much ease as he could manage. The Clovenheart turned back to look at them for just a moment before looking back--and up--at the stranger.

"You must forgive my companions," Ashamin said coolly, still for some reason not scared. "They don't usually feel quite so dwarfed by the company I keep." his long tail swiped across the earth before curling around the spellbound antlers on the ground. Idly, he ran the length of it along the rough texture of the tines.

"Are you lost, or do you need shelter?" Ashamin asked, for he was the sort to welcome even death into his home. After all, he'd been dead before in a long distant dream. Somehow, it didn't seem so frightening anymore.

""
Ashamin

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.

Vincent Posts: 32
Outcast
Stallion :: Equine :: 19.0 :: 10 Buff: NOVICE
Claribel :: Irish Wolfhound :: None Sparrow

V I N C E N T

I raised myself.
My legs were weak.

Despite his greater size, Vincent was the smallest thing in their unplanned gathering, the most minuscule of creatures as he shook and trembled, cracked lips opening and closing as though babbling a litany only he could hear. He was spotted, but glowing-golden eyes could not look away, locked and staring upon the forms he had so ignorantly traipsed upon.

For a moment he stood still, aside from his obviously quaking massive frame, looking around, giant head twisting from left to right as though searching for someone to save him from this situation that he had found himself in. No one would come, however, no matter how long he waited or prayed. He was beyond salvation, beyond redemption, and the thought rattled around inside of the cavernous echoes of his skull, momentarily drowning out everything else. How should he react? What should he do? Run? Hide? Yes, yes, yesyesyes. If the consuming exhaustion had not held him so firmly, keeping the behemoth's thick legs rooted to the earth, he probably would have done so... But alas, he was stranded, forsaken by his own ailments.

The stranger spoke, and through the darkness, Vincent could barely see the smile that crossed the spotted specter's lips. A smile? Why? Why? 'Don't be,' he said, as though brushing aside his pathetic apology, this creature with a voice that was far too soothing for one such as Vincent, 'I'm Ashamin.' The dark monster remained still, lips twitching, glowing golden eyes remaining rooted to the specter, this Ashamin, fear clutching his breast and stealing his words, closing his throat and choking, choking, choking...

At his side, Claribel released a pitiful whine, sitting upon her haunches and pawing at Vincent's robust left foreleg. She whined, wire-grey fur pulled back and pinched along with her expression, and deftly she nuzzled her nose against her bond-mate's leg, trying to pull him from his panicked state of anxiety.

Suddenly, air breathed life into his lungs, into his limbs at Claribel's motions, sanity giving way beneath reality, and Vincent heaved in a mighty breath, stuttering, coughing, before managing a weak reply. "V-V-Vincent,""V-Vincent." His name, not as mighty as his twin's. Never as mighty, as daunting.

At Ashamin's following words, Vincent's bulging eyes turned towards the two deer-like companions, watching them carefully, noticing the panic of the little red and the subdued acceptance of the other. They were not attacking... And they wouldn't. Right?

Claribel whined once more, bringing Vincent back to the present, back to the real-world.

Dwarfed? By him? As meek and timid as he was, Vincent easily forgot that he was of massive, unnatural size. His movements were always slow, always clumsy, as though he was trapped inside of a body that was far too big. Even when he ran, he would trip, stumble, and crash into anything that so much as got in his way.

"S-sorry," he said again simply on principal, this time to the two Cerndyr, his breathing calming ever so slowly, golden orbs continuously glancing to Claribel, the Wolfhound's grey-blue gaze warm, understanding, loving. Then, Ashamin's inquiry caught him by surprise, but not in the terrified, panic-driven kind.

Was he lost?

Yes. Yes, Vincent had been lost for a very long time.

"Y-yeah. Um, I... I am. L-lost, I m-mean." Stuttering, always stuttering around those who were new, strangers, terrifying and unknown, inarticulate and dumb. So dumb. Not perfect. Not worthy. A terrible, terrible son... "Do... Do you have sh-shelter? That, th-that I would f-fit in?" There seemed to be so little shelter around them, save the trees, but Ashamin seemed patient, and kind, and welcoming.

He did not snap at Vincent for intruding, for interrupting his peace. He did not cajole, heckle, or antagonize the black beast for his stuttering words and glowing parts, did not poke, prod, or make fun of... Ashamin did not attack, was not hostile, instead patient, paternal, and kind... While not convinced that he was safe, never safe, Vincent felt his hairs lowering, his pounding heart slowing, his breaths coming easier as his throat loosened...

"A-Ashamin." A whispered statement, simply to himself, said out loud to remember Ashamin's name and taste the way it formed along his tongue. Vincent had forgotten a lot of things in his solitary self-exile, but he promised himself he would try not to forget Ashamin's name. It was a promise he would probably break, but it was good to have goals.

Image Credits

I raised myself.
My legs were weak.

It seemed that despite Ashamin’s best efforts, the stallion that stood before him could not be talked out of his hesitance or fear. By simply looking at the behemoth one would assume there to be confidence enough for a lifetime, strength enough to weather all storms, but it took only moments in the draught’s company for the Clovenheart to be swayed to believe otherwise. How was it that one who had walked through life above all others could feel in any way below? Ashamin had lived his first years fearful and timid, and come to Helovia with those traits stronger than any others. So he recognized them, sure, and he knew better than most how to deal with them.

Being gentle, being kind, was the best he could do for Vincent. Ashamin found that there was much that could be learned from the eyes of companions, and so it was the wolfhound’s gaze that he first sought out. Ashamin’s own companions were still nervous, and upon seeing the canine lift itself on two legs they could not help but step backwards, but Ashamin himself was fighting back all unsettling feelings. The companion was wolf-like, but no wolf. He wouldn’t let the similarities make a facsimile of his fears. And besides, he’d fought a wolf god and watched it die. Why did he still cling to that nervous energy?

Without realizing, Ashamin shook his head. But he realized that it could be misread, could be seen as yet another one of the rejections that Vincent so apparently feared, and he hastened to clarify. "Ah, no… I mean, yes. There is shelter everywhere in this world, even for a stag of your size. You need only know where to look," Ashamin corrected himself, casting Vincent and earnest smile and turning, beckoning the stallion to follow with his tail.

"By the base of the blood falls there is an outcropping where you could stay. My companions found the place not long ago," Ashamin said carefully, turning his gaze towards the two aforementioned. The cerndyrs’ ears flickered, and Rakt stepped before Ashamin, ready to lead. "We can take you there, if you would like. It’s no good wander when lost, it can only irritate the wound."

And he spoke from the heart. This was something he knew of all too well.

""
Ashamin

@Vincent. it took me like a week to write this durp