the Rift

No Sorrow for Fate

Eahaela Posts: 4
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 :: 3
TierRen

Eaheala felt no sorrow for the ability she had taken from her. What fate gives she may also take. No, Eaheala was not left distraught; as others who may have faced similar losses when crossing into Helovian land. The young mare pawed at the ground only to watch dirt settle. Enraptured she was by how it always settled once more even as she asked it to rise and dance around her. She sighed, no longer would she greet others with swirling sands, there goes my dramatic entrances. Lifting her attention from the ground Eahaela stared into the distance imagining new ways to announce her presence. Methods to announce myself only to slip away again, Eaheala wanted to be known but did not see anyplace fit to stay. Her reasoning was different from each place; she sabotaged herself, so intent she was upon finding perfection.

Though Eahaela did not feel any for the lost magic she did feel another loss. The girl's spotted hide shivered as the weight of the night began to fall further upon her. "Lyaeti, I am sorry." Mournfully she nosed the orb across the ground, a pout on her full lips. I never though Lyaeti to be sentient yet still I feel so-- disappointed. Truly it was sadness Eahaela felt but she did not wish to acknowledge it for what it was. Once, before entering Helovia, the orb had lit up whenever called. Behind Eahaela it had hovered, trailing her, keeping her from the clutches of darkness. Now it was rendered useless no matter how she called; just as her magic. Gently the mare lifted the orb from where it had fallen and she placed it into he satchel beside the seeds that had started her wandering.

I must plant them. They must grow, the rogue's face came to her memory, making her face flush, or this will all be for naught. Shame came to her for the seeds she had traded for the orb, that she had traded for the scarf, colored like the night sky, draped across her shoulders. To each merchant she had offered all she had that was of any worth; the seeds of a tree so rare it risked extinction. With the magic of the orb taken and winter passed both items seemed to be frivolous.

Eahaela let her tail down and shook the braid out of her mane. Looking back smugly at the cascading waves in her hair she smiled. Fate guides me correctly, unlatching the satchel she placed it on the ground and enjoyed the feeling of having fresh air brush against her neck, drying sweat from the place where the satchel had rested. As long as I keep faith in her she will not allow me to wander astray. The scarf she dropped to the ground too. Eahaela stretched and groaned as she laid down, settling her head onto the scarf. Whether it be an accessory or a soft place to lay her head Eahaela was determined to still find use for the fabric even in the months that the sun was given free reign. She wondered at what she could use Lyaeti for. No longer am I at an age to play with it as a ball, Eahaela harrumphed and rolled onto her side. Thinking herself too old for toys she refused to admit that the idea seemed sort of amusing.

credits

Opening posts are so hard.
[Image: eahaelapixel_by_tierren-d9ztant.png]
'Child of the Weeds'

Erebos Posts: 474
Aurora Basin General atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1hh :: Four HP: 75.5 | Buff: DANCE
Orsino :: Plain Kitsune :: Dark Illusions & Enyo :: Common Griffon :: Draining Clutch Heather

Boisterous and exuberant, they crossed over wires of fallen branches and launched across berry bushes, avoiding thorns and nettles (even when that’s all they ever were – rancorous little beasts with barbs cloaked deep into their lacquer), brushing past the feral interludes of the Tallsun indulgences; seizing shadows when they could and laughing all the way. Their triumphs and dastardly deeds echoed over fronds and pillars, great, large oaks with massive boughs, widened pines who’d never dared to shed their hues, and at some point the boy and his fox stared up at the sanctum of giants, wondering if they would ever be so tall, so strong, so mighty, and gallant. Orsino knew what the woods would answer, but Erebos still dared, still pondered, still questioned how far determination, strength, and iron-clad will could push, could pull, could convey all he’d aspired to be. He simply refused to live in the grasp of Fate.

Eventually, they slowed down, walked silently and diligently through the copses and groves, tucked and cornered into the avenues of serenity and tranquility. They fought against it, of course, because they were infidels and merchants of wilderness and savagery, tamed only on principles, honor, and justice, hunting and stalking, refining and cultivating skills they’d both need throughout their lives. All cloaks, all daggers, all fine sinew and flesh; there was no room for being soft, for being light, for being anything more than their blackguard convictions and their sworn oaths (assurances made in blood and bone, wrath and ire, fire and brimstone).

Yet, something dulcet and spotted crept into the corner of the prince’s vision, and he ceased warlord motions and movements to stare at it.

It hadn’t been the femme herself that had first caught his eye – but the fabric she laid upon, foreign to the mist and shadows of the Threshold. At first he believed it to be ichor, a lifeforce drained, another being bled out and gone before he’d had a chance to save them - but as he gazed more and more upon it (the color was wrong for spilled, beating fluid), the object reminded him of Johnny’s methods and talents for weaving, and he pondered how she’d come with it, where she’d gotten it, if there were others like their candy-stag, capable of utilizing the world for their crafts. She had other things around her too, little trinkets and bulbs that curiosity lent itself vividly to (what were they? What did they do? Why did she have them?), and he’d stepped closer out of interest, out of intrigue, before he’d even realized there’d been no introduction or words exchanged. Orsino shook his head, and the boy dropped his, intending to lower his gaze towards the stranger, so blue stared at the other oddities she’d managed to convey (horns, but one curling and coiling where an eye should’ve been), bright and gentle, brilliant and calculating. “I wouldn’t doze off here,” he noted, allowing his voice to pervade with the wind, regal and defined. “I’m Erebos. Who are you?”

Image Credits

@Eahaela

Rein Posts: 44
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 2 years
prissy
Rein
no living man could find the key
And from that day a very beast was he
The boy crept and sulked through the undergrowth, though his body was quickly outgrowing his cover. He reveled in it, in his growth, in the lengthening of his mane and legs. He could hardly wait to be grown, to stand by his father and the rest of his little herd as an equal, rather than a student. Foolishly, the boy wished his youth away.

Mentally, he strove to act as adult as he could muster. Perhaps his body would grow faster if his mind willed it to. He practiced his words carefully, and would always pause before speaking to ensure his carefully calculated speech would be faultlessly articulated.

So when he heard the snapping of branches and the uneven breathing of a nearby horse, he began to prepare his introduction immediately. He watched from the shadows, his blue gaze staring intently at the mare as she laid down. Her mottled bodice and sloping, spiraling horns perplexed him, kept him silent as he mulled over his words.

Then another, all long legs and rippling muscles stepped forward. His stance was regal, his tones even more so. Rein's ears flicked grumpily backwards. His carefully practiced introduction was wasted now. He sighed softly, shaking his head. 'Why do I even try?' He thought irately.

He stepped from his hiding place slowly, losing no intrigue over the girl despite his foiled greeting. "She's safe. She has us!" The boy piped to the man, Erebos it seemed. It pained him to step near him, for he smelled of pine and snow. The Basin. He suppressed the pain, guilt, or homesickness; whatever it was. He didn't want to dwell on it.

"I'm Rein," he offered softly after a moment, pausing to stand across from the stallion and next to the spotted unicorn.

"Talk."

@Eahaela

image | coding
[Image: 56b8020492908]

Outcast
TierRen

His words sounded to be those of concern but Eahaela wondered if he coated them with honey before offering them to her. "Tell me then," Eahaela was thankful to have him approach on the side of herself that she could see from, "Why is it that I should not 'doze off'?" I have found it to be quite comfortable. A soft place to lay my head, juicy grass-- her eye traveled to a particularly delicious looking patch she planned to have for breakfast come morning, Fates help me if he eats it.. From where she still lay, with hair spread all around her, Eahaela lifted and tilted her head so as to see more of the stallion than his hooves. She was thankful whenever he dropped his head down as she was able to relax her own posture.

"Prithee, tell me that no beasts lurk," Eahaela's gaze delved into his eyes of blue, I fear not the predators that slink in shadow. I fear the beasts that masquerade as peers. The mare tried to search out his intentions. A star glimmered behind the dark stallion, catching Eahaela's attention. Brother, I will assume that to be your approval? Or a sign of protection? A sly smile crossed Eahaela's soft features. "My brother watches you-- Erebos." "Where is it that I am?" She spoke in tones of silver; so much lighter and crisper than his tone of gold.

Eahaela moved to stand but paused whenever she heard another, younger voice. Devoted to keeping her ears forward; so as to better ignore the whispering of a past left behind and to hear the song of the future, the unicorn turned her entire head to face the direction that the voice came from. The appearance before her differed so from the dark visage who had come to her first. Greeted by a crow and a kingfisher, though still not the strangest pair that I have crossed paths with. To her it was a game to catalogue and remember the most unique that she met in travels.

"Rein," What have I done to have 'them'? She turned to face Erebos, What is it that he thinks of such an idea? "That is very-- kind," turned back to facing the colt Eahaela blinked rapidly at the sound of the word upon her tongue. How funny. The place I am warned not to rest also brings the most sincere niceties.

"I am Eahaela." Though she had not planned to give her name so easily Eahaela was softened by Rein. Having been kept from childhood without friends there was still an odd remanent of her younger self that still desired acceptance from the youth she met; even though she cared not whether stallions or other mares cared for her. The young made Eahaela self conscious and eager to please. "Erebos," she moved to stand, careful not to step or pull on her own mane or tail. "Rein," a frown creased her features as she looked to see that she had trod upon her scarf whenever she stood. "Do you travel together?" Bending Eaheala brushed the material off. Hair tangling in her horns already, she regretted letting it down.

credits

@Rein  
@Erebos
'Child of the Weeds'

Orsino :: Plain Kitsune :: Dark Illusions & Enyo :: Common Griffon :: Draining Clutch Heather

They weren’t alone long – but the boy knew the game well, understood its strategies and wiles, its cunning and bravado, had played the part several times over (some more successful than others). He proffered a smile to the boy, full of mischief, full of devilry, full of a devout contentment, an ease, a composure well suited to cats who ate canaries. He scarcely recognized the figure, perhaps a foal from their void seasons ago (at a meeting, by the sides of adults, fresh and new, wide-eyed and imagining a world of possibilities before everything came crashing down), too gangly now to be truly identified. His name came quickly thereafter on introductions, on policies and politeness, Rein (how many empires would he collapse, how many kingdoms would he fell, how many times would he live up to his name?) and the little fiend’s grin grew, embellished and silly, jovial and exuberant to cavort in another diversion and distraction. “Of course.” Then he winked to both of them, the woman with her cloth, the child with his gold. But his eyes fastened immediately upon the fawn, the spotted femme, upon the eye that should’ve blinked back at him instead of bearing a weapon, still smiling, still smirking, still genial, warm, and kind, as her queries flowed through the undergrowth. “Oh, there’s always something lurking.” The prince shrugged, as if there were no frightening aspects to the words; he’d been growing in skill, in stature, in strength, and should anything manage to traipse its way through the hollowed, hallowed sanction, he’d gladly proffer his talents into the fray. “But you needn’t worry with us on the prowl,” he laughed, smiling back at Rein, and then his ears folded back to her and the series of questions pulsing through the copse.

They were customary, pieces of the puzzle foreigners always yearned to comprehend and understand. The notions and sentiments were reasonable, logical, and rational – what was this land they’d managed to wander within, what hells could they possibly face, what demons and monsters crawled between rock and shadow, what wonderful creatures would they be fated to meet? “You’re in Helovia, Eahaela,” he tested her name on his tongue, full of intricate phrasing and vowels, but ended on the same grin, hoping he hadn’t butchered the elegance, the finesse, entirely. The scion glanced along the horizon, over the edges of tall pines and towering oaks, ignoring Orsino’s subtle hisses and growls layered along their bond, attempting to navigate the massive query of ‘where was here’. “It has four kingdoms in all: the Aurora Basin, the Dragon’s Throat, the World’s Edge, and the Hidden Falls. It also has many open, wild lands.” What would strike her curiosity, her fancy, more – the inclination of a sovereign, an empire, or the wilderness, spread out and savage, untamed and barbaric? At her final question, however, he deigned not to answer – uncertain and unsure as to what or where Rein had been, what he intended, or where his loyalties lay anymore. 

Image Credits

@Eahaela @Rein

Rein Posts: 44
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 2 years
prissy
Rein
no living man could find the key
And from that day a very beast was he
He smiled, nodding his little golden head firmly back at Erebos. He held his head crown high, reveling in the stallion's affirmation of his words. Yes, Rein looked small, he looked young, but his mind was sharper than the golden and ebony diadem perched upon his brow. His blood found no boundaries, and bested all foes. He so easily mistook his confidence for arrogance. He knew no soul who could beat his blood, but he forgot he didn't know every soul.

So the blood spattered boy smiled proudly at the doe in the pool of gossamer fabric, for he felt truth in his false securities. "Of course. It's a pleasure to meet you," He replied smoothly with a dip of his exotically lined head. The child sounded of youth, but lacked the exuberance native to his age. Still, he lacked no warmth in his tone.

The boy stayed silent during Erebos's explanations, his navy gaze flicking from the sun stroked, dotted mare to the reaper wept roan. He didn't interject, the thought of it didn't even cross his mind as he listened to the stallion's elucidations. But then a question—one that briefly made his heart ache. His eyes flicked to Erebos, mentally groaning when the boy realized the stallion left the question to him.

"We do not," He answered impassively despite feeling as if a fist were clutching and clawing at his heart. "I travel the wild lands with a band of outcasts, bound by our love of knowledge! You're welcome to join us, if you'd like," Rein piped, his youthful lyrics crescendoing into the childlike vitality his age was known for, a characteristic he so often lacked these days. But his father's group awoke a bit of that excitement, especially now, when he was doing his best to prove himself as useful to the group.

@Eahaela

image | coding
[Image: 56b8020492908]

Outcast
TierRen

Always something? Naive to the world and to the truth of the dark stallion's response Eahaela wondered what sort of place she had offered herself to. The tapering legs that accentuated her svelte form twitched beneath her; prepared to leap away, and on her head above nostrils flared seeking out smells of the 'things that lurked'. "You are confident, Erebos." Does he merely speak out of ego?

"You did well, Erebos," Eahaela smiled, made more open by hearing her name said correctly, "not many say my name correctly upon the first attempt." -- I do not meet many either, though she did not see the use in telling him so.

Eahaela was quiet and listened to his talk of the herds within Helovia. Her eye she turned to each in turn taking note of their bodily condition. Her hide quivered in remembrance of the herd she had been birthed to and hidden away from. Bones and tightly stretched skin had been the look of all, including Eahaela. The land had been in decline. No room had there been for the weak. No room had there been for her twin. He had been tossed to the sands to be devoured as all the feeble were; as Eahaela would have been, had she been found. To be in such plentiful lands and welcoming herds was still strange to her and it still put her on edge.

"Where there are kingdoms there are rulers," though ignorant to other workings of the world Eahaela new of harsh ruling made by ruthless kings and queens, "With that being true I care not what the land may be like; travel is possible." Or so she assumed, "From here I must decide where to go," I do wonder if they have come only to recruit? The thought made her watchful once more, seeking out the character of each. "To decide I must know of those who lead."

Whenever Rein answered her Eahaela was surprised to learn that they did not travel together. So young he seemed to be. A band of outcasts? Does this mean that they are all-- strange? Eahaela stiffened under the venomous sting of judgement wondering if the boy sought to recruit her due to her deformity. Listening to Rein further his explanation; hearing him talk of 'a love of knowledge' Eahaela softened her standing; still though, her words were sharp. "What is it that you mean by 'outcasts'?" Eahaela sharpened her question on the flint of unkindnesses previously dealt to her. Immediately there was regret for the tone she used, the colt's attitude made it clear that he did mean well. Eaheala was so sensitive to words of the young. She swallowed and turned her eye to Erebos instead, I would rather him see the shame I carry. With a voice unsteady Eahaela spoke to the stallion, "What is it that your home is like?"

The young mare flicked her tail and chewed on her lip; made uncomfortable both by how long it had been since she last spoke so long with another and by how she had spoken harshly to Rein. Turning back to the colt she said with her eye what her lips would not, I am sorry. Despite the journey that she had made to stumble into Helovia Eahaela had never apologized to another besides her mother.

credits

@Erebos
@Rein
'Child of the Weeds'

He’d always been an apt listener, like his father before him, gathering intellect and wisdom from wagging tongues and molten mouths – learning all he could, then snatching, clenching, clutching it tightly to his chest, to his mind, for further use and unraveling. Today’s adventures had been forthright and intriguing already; not only because of the dove with her fawn pelt, a sword for an eye, or cloak, but also due to Rein’s activity in an Outcast band. Were there many beyond the borders, not wishing to follow any particular herd, but their own rules, their own regulations? Weren’t they much like a kingdom then, accept without a true sovereign – nomadic, Gypsy formations cast apart in stones, in forests, in eaves, on grounds that didn’t belong to solely them? The concept was interesting, and he made not of it, nodding towards the boy who’d made his own stake in the world, trying to tie together those who yearned to discover, ascertain, and comprehend the world around them.

The lad’s attention was diverted back to the femme only when her vocals cast him in a diverting light - you are confident - and he smiled again, a dapper grin not quite meeting his eyes because there was truth in her speech, but falsehood as well. There had been days where his self-assurance was all he had, all he knew, all he could achieve, and other moments scattered in stumbling motions, faltering, fumbling, foolish notions scattered about in ruin and rubble. He’d lost before. He’d been nothing before. He just didn’t want to be it again. “Are you?” The boy-warrior asked in a light-hearted way, attempting to puzzle over the complexities, the rites, the reasons why she speculated about him.

Eventually, ruminations over herds dispersed (was she displeased by the notion of outcasts? He wanted to turn to the other youth and reassure him with a silly, goofy smile, with an arch to his brow, but soldiered on instead), and his ears flicked, grin sharpened into something tangible, something corporeal, something real, because the pride for his kingdom was an everlasting covenant he’d share with anyone and everything willing to listen. “I’m from the Aurora Basin, which is ruled by Deimos and Hotaru. We’re surrounded by mountains, and host a variety of other things – hot springs, a lake that never freezes, and caverns. We’re due to be holding an aurora viewing festival soon.” Erebos nodded again, composed over his remarks, ensuing the brewing invitation past his lips after. “You are welcome to join if you’d like.”

Image Credits

@Eahaela @Rein