the Rift

[OPEN] Low Roar.

Zyanya Posts: 70
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.1 hh :: VI
Tai
I paced the places and the hallways where we'd meet
hoping one day you'd come my way and sweep me off my feet.
Rain.

It poured from the heavens, from massive grey clouds whose edges she could not see.  The droplets were large, a cool touch on warm skin.  The heat of summer abated, fleeing from the moisture and allowing the whole world to glow with green light in the forest.  Instead of the orange tint of the sun, the life of the forest prevailed.

Leaves sought the nectar of the sky, stretching out hands to grasp the drink before it disappeared below.  Within the trunks of the trees, a woman.  Her body is a slight figure of pale blue and gold, starkly opposite of the dark hued green trees.  A long mane is plastered against her shoulder from the rainwater, suggesting she has been standing out of shelter for a while now.  Her eyes rest steadily on the crashing surface of the ruby waters, an air of indecision wrapped around her whole body.

Under the boughs and the billowing storm-clouds, the feeling of night spread among the forest in the middle of the day.  Even the crimson of the ruby decorated pools darkens, almost running black as it skitters and flees from the rush of the falls into the forest.  She, the pallid maiden with soft eyes, hums a tune from a distant land and time.  The crashing of large droplets on the ground from above sparkle in the background of the song, seeming to fit with melody in a strange sort of way.

A rain song from her home, a blessed plea to bring storms to the valleys in dry times.  Listening to the showers from above, her mind drifts in and out of reality, lurking in the corners of her memories while still taking in the sights of the present.
In her heart, the ache of homesickness lurks beneath a thin layer of contentedness.  Maybe, should the rain fall down long enough, it would wash away even the deepest set scars.

""

ooc -- For @Virga
even if you're lost you can't lose the love because
it's in your heart

Magic & Force allowed, barring permanent changes or death.

Virga Posts: 42
Absent Abyss
Colt :: Tribrid :: Growing :: yearling
kae
this town is only gonna get worse

Maybe you're getting closer. You tread now through a forest, your tiny hooves displacing the dead matter underfoot with every step. A trail of whispers follows in your wake, leaves complaining of your passage in their small, dry voices. Here in the shadows, the sound magnifies and moves like shivers down your sides. You sort of miss Vesper. Sort of miss Mama. Every now and then a sneaky thought creeps in and whispers something like go get them, but they're far now and anyway, you'd much rather find what you want then present it to them like the valiant young adventurer you are, bold and clever and so worthy.

But as of now, you don't feel particularly worthy of anything. You feel like a weary, skittish colt lost somewhere between purpose and whimsy. Wings hang loosely from your sides, too weary even to keep up their constant flapping. All around you, the forest sings. It's a new song, unfamiliar and beautiful, maybe, if you weren't young and easily bothered and so tired of being wet. Whoever authorized this random assault of water from the air has your eternal hatred. Every now and then a cold, cold droplet even has the audacity to fall right into your ear and then a bout of violent head shaking ensues, as you crow hop about silently condemning the weather gods all to untimely deaths. When you're done, you blink skyward for a long moment or two, but no one answers your plaintive staring. No one offers you an umbrella, either.

You trudge on.

Your mind busies itself with musing on the probable habits of whales and the potential course of action you should take if you do find one (an egg? hadn't the girl at the hot springs found an egg?). You don't decide on much before a different sort of music penetrates your mind, wending through the droplets almost seamlessly. And it's a pretty melody, and odd melody, one which sends out fingers of feeling across your skin. Hesitating, you look up, dark eyes searching the shadows for some sign of the music's source. It's definitely a voice, right? Not just another random fluke of the weather? The course of your travel alters the harder you listen, until you drift toward it with some certainty, strung along the way fairy tale children are strung along by the pied piper, only you are far from anything born in a fairy tale, and the tune you follow makes no promises of untimely death.

It's a mare, actually.

You glimpse her between the trees in bits and pieces until you get closer: pale skin and blue edging, a horn jutting from her brow like everyone else back home. Of course, you're not home, and the fact weighs on you a little more each day, but you're far too stubborn to go running back to Mama having failed. What's maybe fortunate, of course, is you're not too stubborn to trail along behind the humming mare like a lost duckling, your head tilted in an image of curiosity, your steps slow and more than a little wary.

VIRGA
full image

@Zyanya

Outcast
Tai
She does not hear him over the sound of her voice, the sound of the rain, and the hush of the forest floor.
His body is too small to capture the attention of her eyes, but he does not remain a mystery forever.

Weight appears on her flesh in the form of invisible strings from the tiny, darkset eyes of an inky shadow.  The weight is tiny at first, not able to permeate through Zyanya's wistful thoughts of rain and distant valleys.  The longer she remains, slowly waltzing through the forest with her head in rainclouds and long passed days, the heavier the feeling is.

Finally, something in the back of her mind calls for her to turn her head, to look at her surroundings.  Her eyes graze over the summer spent brush and trunks of trees, until a dainty figure draws her attention.  A slight, obsidian ghost lingering a few paces behind her.  The song in her throat pauses, and she halts, turning her whole figure to fully view her new company.  A smile finds its way to her lips without thought or reason, but the child seemed... hesitant to approach her, at the very least.  Perhaps, a bright light of a smile could render his doubts useless.  Somehow, she could not be certain it would.

"Hello," her voice raises gently above the thrum of rain on bark, "little stranger."  Other than Kiada and Kianzo, Zyanya had never met a foal in Helovia.  Unlike the twins which had reluctantly stood by their mother, this one seemed much more reserved.  A kindred soul, if she would be so bold as to think such of someone she did not know.  "I am Zyanya."

Looking out over the forest, seeing the wavering boughs of trees in the wind of the storm, the pale girl attempts to think of conversation fitting a child.  She cannot quite fit the bill.  Instead, she slinks back into old habit, drawing upon the conversational standby of small talk.  "The rain is a nice reprieve from this summer's heat, hmm?"  The question raises slightly as she turns to look at his black figure, noticing for the first time isolated islands of white in the great expanse of darkness.  They remind her of a very solemn night sky, or the view obscured by many trees.

The imagery resonates with the posture of the boy in front of her beyond just coloring, though Zyanya cannot quite place why.  He looked lost, and maybe that is why he trailed so silently behind her.  If she peered inward, the mare might find him to be more of a comrade than any she had met thus far in Helovia.  At least, that is how it appears at the surface of things.

""

it's in your heart

Absent Abyss
kae

You don't want her to turn. You do want her to turn. She has to turn... but when she does her gaze hits you with a jolt. Wet feathers fluff and flutter at your sides; the dainty shape of your skull jerks skyward, and every nerve in your body sings. You don't run, but you threaten to. In the end, the sound of her voice pins you down: gentle, inviting. Zyanya, she says, and your ears twitch. Do you have to give your own name now, in answer? A voice in your head says yes, but sullenly you clench your jaw, teeth grating over each other. And your eyes rest anywhere but her, skating between tree trunks and between rain drops, squeezing shut when a drop of water lands too close to an ear and you answer with a violent shake of your so-delicate head. The head shake turns into a body shake, the sort birds do when they've been swimming, and flecks of rain dance from your little wings as the feathers puff up. Ugh.

When you finish, you find the mare is talking again. Zyanya. Whatever. Narrowed eyes flicker briefly to her strangely colored face before they move away. "Rain," you parrot, the word a punch. "Why is it...?" Trailing off, you wait for an answer. Why is it here? Why is it falling? Why why why? Mama would know. Too bad you ran off to adventure and left her behind. Suddenly the bite of loss is keen, and you shuffle a bit closer Miss Zyanya, petulant and miserable. Your wings shake again as if to rid themselves of the constant wet. "It's not hot in my home," you say, as if that's a good excuse for never having seen rain before. Or maybe you're bragging. A quick jerk of your head, and you eye the mare's horn again, your gaze shifting critically to her lack of wings. The question rests in your eyes, no need to speak it aloud. You do anyway.

"Do you live here?" Well, sort of. You really want to know if she can help you with your quest, and you kind of suspect she's from the same place as you, but if she was, why would she be running around in the southlands, which suck, rather than hanging out in the absolute coolest place in the world?

VIRGA
full image

@Zyanya sorry this took so long D:

Outcast
Tai
The rain obscures the quake which radiates through the colt's body as she turns, hiding much from her lilac eyes.  The gentle smile does not waver, though the colt looks still uncomfortable, uncertain.  Something about his nature was reserved, a strange thing for a foal to hold.  Normally, the light of youth gave them a natural cheerful and friendly air.  He reminds her much of Iktan, her younger brother, who had spoken very little and tended to avoid the other children.  There were things that delighted him, causing a smile more warm than the sun to form on his tiny face, to fill the once solemn child and the hearts of all around him.

This child makes no attempt to introduce himself, which does not seem to surprise nor offend the mare.  Instead, she simply continues on the conversation, onesidedly, the best that she can.  All her training in noble courts prepared her for dull and lifeless conversation partners, but her goals had been very different then.  She was to be polite, to be friendly, to be inviting, but never troublesome.  Instead, the picture of a perfect lady - polite and never burdensome.

Something about the way the boy says 'rain' makes the mare want to chuckle.  He seems perplexed, even slightly offended, by the element of water leeking from the heavens to the earth.  His question does not finish, leaving a million rooting possibilities of what he wanted to ask.  "Why is it?" is all he manages, and Zyanya ponders carefully.  "Ryle hira," she says, slipping into an idiom of her ancient, native tongue instead of the speak used in the outside world, including Helovia.  "Life is what it is."  The phrases in translated for the boy, but she does not explain further the expression of her people.  The meaning meant many things, usually different depending on the speaker or the situation.

Slowly, the boy creeps closer, surprising Zyanya, though she shows no outward sign.  She attempts to slow all her emotions in order to not stir the fragile courage of the boy.  He lets loose a small tidbit of information about himself, and judging by the horn upon his head and the hint that his home was not hot, she wonders whether he too is from the Basin.  Nodding, she smiles encouragingly toward him, his keen eyes observing the length of her horn before he poses a question she feels, rather than knows, he already has the answer to.

Despite herself, Zyanya begins to feel very fondly of this intelligent, awkward child, a night sky with one star.  "No," a twinkle of a laugh follows her answer, swallowed partially by the song of rain about them.  "I live within the Aurora Basin."  She makes no hint that she already felt he knew this, instead studying the small face for his reaction.  The eyes which seek his expression are soft, wearing a thin veiled smile and slight curiosity.  Hoping her stare did not make him self-conscious, she turns her attention back toward the rain sliding from the leaves above to the earth.

"Why are you in the forest?" she asks, hoping to glean a bit more detail about why the young boy is traipsing about in the woods by himself, instead of with his mother or father.  The mare only half expects an answer, based upon the boy's shy nature.  

""

ooc -- no problem! Mine is slow in coming as well

it's in your heart

Absent Abyss
kae

Ryle hira, isn't a word. It means nothing to you, but it shivers into your ears and down your spine all the same — a taste of something new, something foreign, a mystery and a question and a wonderful thing glimpsed so fleetingly your wings lift a fraction as if to carry you after. Her voice changes in the saying of it; your heart stutters as she translates for you, and in your native tongue it's dull — not something a boy wants to hear. Your expressive face makes that clear — the turned-back ears, the pouting wrinkles pooling at the edges of your mouth. Life is what it is? What about what you want it to be? What it should be? What about all the things you want and want to do? Unsatisfied and inarticulate, you chew on ugly taste of this wisdom and your tail twitches out discomfort. Stupid. Stupid.

"Who told you that?" you ask at last, and there's an accusation in your tone, as if you mean to hunt them down and fight them. Or maybe it's wariness. Maybe you accuse her now of lying. Either way, your gaze is sharp as you look her up and down, your thoughts echoing always out of your mouth why, why, why in a hundred different forms. Despite your dour attitude, prickles of intrigue, of fondness, already wend their way around your heart when you look at this — Zyanya. She speaks to you the way you like being spoken to, and she makes no sudden movements.

Also — and this is childish — you sort of want to stand under her belly so the rain will go away.

You won't — she isn't Mama. But you think about it as she acknowledges that yes, she is a member of your herd. You nod, because you already figured that out. Now your eyes wander from her face, a little shy of even her gently probing gaze, and you study the wet earth around her hooves, thinking something of her color is like Mama but not enough... A small sigh escapes you. It seems all your life's bound up in wanting, doesn't it?

"I live there, too," you mumble. Your wet forelock feels like a pile of worms between your ears, ugh. Giving it another good shake, you add, because you can, "My Mama's General Ki'irha." Now you can talk, you sort of like saying that just because you can. Your Mama's the best fighter in the entire Basin. Your Mama. Your head lifts a little higher, and your dour attitude falters a bit. Zyanya's next question is easy and difficult, and it's related to what you just said but probably way moreso than she realizes.

Again, you employ silence as your first answer of choice. Thoughts stagger about behind your eyes, searching for some semblance of tact, of honesty, of persuasiveness. Maybe she can help you? She hasn't anything you're looking for, you think, but you're so miserable and she looks so.... not...

"I am on a quest," you say at last, frowning mightily. And who taught you that word, Virga? That's a mighty word for this little adventure, isn't it? You say it anyway, rebellious and grandiose, the valiant son of a general and a piece of the sky. "I'm looking for something." Now, you don't say what. You're too clever for that. You do lift your gaze a little, though, and peek out through your wet hair at Zyanya's face — or at least, the general vicinity. "Why are you?" you toss back instead.

You're getting better at this conversation thing.

VIRGA
full image

@Zyanya

Outcast
Tai
The child seems to rebuke the translation like a bitter taste in his mouth, the corners of his dainty lips puckering from the sour slap of reality.  Zyanya is impassive in that moment, her own lilac eyes drifting further into the past, remembering the first lips which imparted the simple wisdom.  The taste of magic clung to the tongue of her past, bittersweet when looking into faded eyes now out of her reach.  Still, a smile, serene and calm, rests on her own lips.

Accusatory, the boys question fills the small gap of silence between them.  The smile grows brighter on her own face, resisting the urge to giggle at the grumpy little colt before her.  Instead, she gifts him a pleasant look, a softness overcoming her features.  "My mother," the twinkle in her eye speaking volumes of love, and the pain in her chest remains hidden underneath that brilliant gleam.  The kindly face of her mother, elegant and wise, wreathed in smiles and adoring expressions, sits within her mind's eye for a moment, both filling and emptying her heart.

The boy sighs, a heavy weight resting in his small mind.  Of course, the porcelain doll of a mare has no idea what could possibly perturb the small boy so much.  She cannot see past the veil of his eyes into his childlike thoughts, see his own desire to curl under his mother and hide from the rain.  Only the small disappointments which he allows to fall through his features gives her hints to his mood.  A lonesome star, so young and yet so strangely serious.

She nods in return to his confirmation that he lived within the Basin as well, eliciting another smile from her.  The name of his mother is unfamiliar to her, but this does not surprise the mare.  The short time she had lived in the Basin, she had met many, yet there were still a myriad of unfamiliar faces which resided within the mountains.  The title of General is familiar, however, and it is one that earns respect across most cultures - Zyanya's former home included.  "I do not believe I have met her yet, unfortunately."  The voice is soft, wordlessly begging forgiveness from the strange boy for not knowing his mother.

He seems to contemplate how best to answer her inquiry - either to guard his purpose or eloquently describe it.  The small, dark eyes take on a shrewd expression, something quite comical on a face so innocent.  His words are strong, giving a large import to his place within the forest - a quest.  "Ah," she says, voice taking on a true tone of admiration.  "Perhaps, I can help you search... if you will have me, of course."

He inquires about her own purpose, catching her slightly off guard, though she is unsure why.  A thoughtful expression rests on her face for a moment.  Truthfully, she had no reason to be within the forest.  Maybe, she sought out the familiarity of trees to her old home, an attempt to assuage the loneliness building inside.  "I guess, I had missed the forest."

""

it's in your heart