the Rift

[PRIVATE] from darkest dreams

Elspeth Posts: 40
Absent Abyss
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 hh :: 7 years
Sarah

E L S P E T H

“Wake up, lass.”

The words dance around me in that winter graveyard, a wind that stirred my mane as the screams subsided into weeping.

“Shh, Ellie, I’ve got ye.”

This promise stirred me and I shifted beneath the warm weight draped across me - my mind desperately trying to use it as a lifeline to claw its way out of the abyss that I had sunk into in my dreams. “No, no… she’s dead… she’s dead.” I mutter this, both inside and outside of my dream as I struggle towards consciousness - lingering between the chilly, death world of my dreams and the warmth of what waited for me outside of them.

I’m trembling in both worlds but I find that it is fading because I’m behind held in one of those worlds - someone, somewhere, is alive and with me. The one who was speaking to me, who was helping me wake, if only I could manage that last little bit. I want to shut my eyes and forget the scene before me, where my mate and child lie in puddles of their own blood, but I know that I can’t. It’s made out of memories that I will never be able to shake.

They’re dead.” I whispered finally, my golden eyes flashing open with the final syllable - and I scrambled to my feet and stumbled a few shaky steps before finding that I wasn’t in that wintery scene. I was on top of a mountain, in a peaceful meadow at night, and there was a comforting presence near me.

My pale head finally stopped turning about and I struggle to get my rapid heartbeat to calm when my gaze found him. “Calder?” I breathed his name as confusion clouded my expression - taking a step back toward him but I quickly found that my legs couldn’t be trusted and I teeter where I stand. I want to apologize to him, realizing now that he had been trying to comfort me and I had twisted away from his touch, but the words stuck in my throat.

I'm awake but I can't escape the images, the memories.

image credit

@Calder
[Image: 5706a739b3d7b]
please tag Elspeth in all replies

Messages In This Thread
from darkest dreams - by Elspeth - 07-31-2016, 10:32 PM
RE: from darkest dreams - by Calder - 08-05-2016, 12:52 AM
RE: from darkest dreams - by Elspeth - 08-07-2016, 06:33 PM