the Rift

[OPEN] Roses Without Thorns

Unregistered
:: :: ::

The walk from the Threshold forest stretches just as long the second time as it did the first. Hé's choppy stride was made for navigating rocky steppe and frolicking at breakneck speed down impassable mountains (much to his mother's eternal dismay). It was not crafted for distance. So their journey wends on slowly. Hé hopes Bellisma doesn't mind. Hopes, too, the vast scope of the land opening up around them doesn't intimidate her as it nearly intimidated him the first time he stepped past the Threshold. Now — Bellisma probably hasn't spent the last few years of her life living under a rock. Maybe wide open spaces fail to amaze her the way they still amaze Hé. Because if the journey's just as long the second time, it leaves him just as breathless.

As they walk, Hé struggles to remember the landmarks Ashamin pointed out so many days ago. He recalls the Deep Forest to the south of their chosen route, the way Ashamin spoke of the darkness under the branches. Hé gives Belisma the same brief, tantalizing snippets about gods and past wars he was given on his first journey into Helovia's heart, though of course he leaves out some of it, forgetting or failing to understand the nuances of Ashamin's existence in this place, the fragile, fraught difference between history spoken and history lived. It's only when they reach the Thistle Meadow properly the freckled stallion's attention shifts to the nature of his companions, those he knows so little of and yet speaks so cheerfully on — for they must be good. He so desperately wants them to be good. Wants all of this to be — good.

"You will like Ashamin, I think," he's saying as they set foot into the edges of the great meadow, his hooves picking their way nimbly between flowers and over routes. "He's very kind, and he keeps as his companions two stags, which are wondrous in their own ways. This land is full of things I've never seen, actually. It's all very distracting." Pausing, Hé surveys the meadow. He wonders vaguely if he's talking too much, but he doesn't know very well how to talk less, so he puts it out of his mind. Is what he says interesting? Is it relevant? "The others are... passionate in their own ways," Hé throws over his shoulder as he surveys the meadow. "Some gentle, some reclusive, some very opinionated." And he chuckles quietly, thinking of the last meeting he witnessed. His steps slow as he peers about, searching for a familiar face, for someone to greet Bellisma and make her feel welcome. Surely at least a few of them are still in the area?

@Bellisma
+ Anyone in the Unbound! :)

Bellisma Posts: 53
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 :: 8 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Adoptable
Bellisma
Belllisma was thankful the stallion had the mind to invite her to follow him, for she, in her insecurity and unwillingness to accept her desirability in anyone's eyes, likely would have stayed behind had he not. The trek was long, but she did not mind it; for far too long she had ventured nowhere, allowing her natural abilities to endure wane. In the clearings, she wanted to take chase of nothing in particular, to throw her head and kick out her heels, but she feared Hé would either have trouble or generally dislike her for pulling away. So she remained, short stride comparatively long, by his side. A few times she even fell back, eyes taking in the vast surroundings she had not previously allowed herself to explore.

She listened intently while Hé spoke, though the information was admittedly complex. Gods? There were not gods where she came from - or, at least, if there were, they did not give a damn about her. The mare snorted involuntarily, shaking her head in an attempt to play it off as a pesky fly. Her skeletons did not need to be brought to light... Not now, not ever.

Stag? Oh goodness... Everything was so foreign to her; her new 'herd' would most certainly find her a bore, if not a nuisance for her naïvety. "Do-... Do you think they will like me?" she asked sheepishly, peering at Hé from the corner of her eye. She wasn't sure why she allowed the question past her lips, considering she was loathe to discover the answer. Perhaps he would surprise her, though; he certainly had when their gazes met and he had not struck her. Speaking of which... "Will... May I look at them, too?" She spoke quietly, eyes flicking away before easing back to him. "I do not want to be out of line.." Worry permeated her words, the carriage of her body radiating anxiety.

If he worried about speaking too much, then she was downright terrified of the multitude of questions now spilling from her. "Is there a role I will fill here?" Her voice shook, which frustrated her, but her last... role had been to entertain at the expense of her dignity. Her dark thoughts were interrupted by the sound of approaching hoof-falls, and Bellisma subconsciously inched closer to Hé. Her inherent trust of him was unforeseen and likely foolish; for all she knew, he would just as likely throw her to the figurative wolves as help her, though the latter would only be if it in some way benefited him. These thoughts held no place in her conscious mind now, however, as her turned head nearly brought her muzzle in contact with the point of his shoulder. "Hello," she offered quietly to the newcomer, gaze falling to his or her hooves.

Yay new family!

Please tag Bellisma in every reply.

Paradox Posts: 23
Outcast atk: 7.5 | def: 10 | dam: 2.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.3 :: 5 HP: 60.0 | Buff: Novice
Smack

broke as hell, but blessed with beauty,

The copper hued mare had been wandering aimlessly in these lands- or so it seemed. She had yet to actually meet others in the Unbound, aside from Ashamin and Seanan- though she remembered seeing multiple at the little get together she stumbled onto after following the stallion who brought her here. In fact, it had been this very meadow where the meeting had been held. More of a thrashing, in her opinion. A chuckle evaporated from her lips at the thought. Recently, she had met with Ashamin, the leader of the Unbound- she believed they had some what got along. At least he would be able to offer good teaching in the crusade arena for her. That was something she looked forward too.

Masked face was lowered to the ground as incisors ripped tiny springs of dried grass to fill her belly. Did we mention how dry the grass was? Tallsun was killing everything. The heat was unbearable, in fact, at this very moment, sweat clung to her neck and flanks. How often she had contemplated ridding her neck of the thick dreads that stuck to her skin. It was disgusting. She hated the feeling of wet hair clinging to her. She hated to sweat. The river running through the meadow offered only a luke-warm thirst quencher and the tall red oak she grazed beneath offered minimal protection from the heat. A charcoal heel stamped the ground, hide twitching at the feel of the sweat dripping from her flanks. Raising her head, she decided it might be beneficial to take a dip in the river, at least then, if a breeze blew though it might be more cooling.

Footsteps caught her audits first, and her route to the river paused. Her dished face erected and swiveled on a slender, muscular neck until she found the producers. The stallion, she faintly remembered. He had been standing with Ashamin the day of the meeting, the mare- she could not place. Ice orbs scrutinized the pair. The stallion was smaller for a male, but built stockily, possibly of appaloosa decent with the spots that littered his coat- unless he was fleabitten. She pondered only a moment before moving on. The mare appeared even smaller than Paradox herself, which was surprising to her considering how small she herself was. It was rare that the orange fae found others with less height than she. The mare followed meekly, almost as if she were beat down. Paradox scoffed. Never should a mare act lowly around a stallion. Respect is one thing, but she would never let a stallion make her feel less.

Hello. The words wafted into the air from the docile mares lips, though it appeared she was looking at no one. Paradox looked around- hoping to find that someone else was who her conversation was aimed at, considering she wasn't really in the mood to chit-chat. Of course, there was no one else there. Unamused, she sidled up to the pair. If you're going to speak, speak up. Her tones held sass, but were covered with the soft honey of her voice. She pulled her blue gaze from the mare and met the stallions eyes with a subtle nod of her crania. I'm Paradox. I assume you are of Unbound as well? Her stature was full and her tiny head was held proudly.
the kind that a rich man can't turn down
speech

ooc: wow. not sure where that came from. ^.^
pattern belongs to subtle patterns

Ashamin the Clovenheart Posts: 426
Outcast atk: 8 | def: 11.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 HH :: 5 [Frostfall] HP: 79 | Buff: NUMB
Lochan :: Plain Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Rakt :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast Jen
Ashamin

Ashamin would have agreed wholeheartedly with Paradox, were the two in conversation. The heat was both stifling and unwelcome, so much so that the Clovenheart was sure he wanted nothing more than the season to end and take with it the bitter sting of the sun upon his back. His two companions followed him slowly, but their eyes were half shut and their heads were low and swinging. The sounds of their antlers brushing across the grass were like the buzzing of flies, and Ashamin found his ears and tail flicking to shoo away bugs that were not there.

He saw Paradox from afar, when she did not see him. Perhaps it was the shadow of the tree caught about him, but he was not easy to spot in that moment. Still he could see her eyes, cold like ice that never seemed to melt even in the heat. She fought admirably, he had to give her that. He had admired her speed, though some of her ways of using it had been unexpected, to say the least. Then again, no members of the Unbound were particularly predictable. Hadn’t his own son pulled a bleeding sword from his leg at their last meeting?

No, nevermind that. Though Ashamin was far from squeamish and marked by blood himself, he did not wish to relive the image of his son’s self-harm and unbridled fury. He focused instead on the skull-marked mare, and thumped his tail on the ground between his companions to alert them to his movement. He would follow her and see what she was up to, and maybe catch up to her if he could.

When she stopped, this proved easy to do. Ashamin was surprised to find that Paradox was not alone, either, for Hé had arrived. The mare beside him was unfamiliar and quite meek—though Ashamin could see her lips moving, he couldn’t hear a word she said from his distance. When he turned to confirm this with Lochan, the dark cerndyr only offered him a tired look. Apparently it was too early for the nocturnal creature to be paying attention.

Ashamin strode forth on powerful legs, his chest producing a faint glow that affected the grasses before him. Given how dry they were, they looked only more sickly when cast in the blue color. He turned his coal eyes instead to the timid mare, pausing to stand beside Paradox. Her response was curt, perhaps, but not without its own warmth. Ashamin smiled softly.

"Paradox is right, stranger. There is no need to keep silent, if you have truly come to join the Unbound," the painted buck said, casting Hé a proud and curious glance in an attempt to confirm his suspicions. ”I am Ashamin the Clovenheart, miss. My companions are Lochan and Rakt,” he explained, his heart warmed by the sight of the mare. He too had been scared once, but time in this land had allowed him to grow beyond his fears. Ashamin hoped he could help her feel safe, too.

""

Credit

@Hé. sorry for my wait guys. :(

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead

Unregistered
:: :: ::

Warmth suffuses the liquid darkness of his gaze when it turns back toward Bellisma. There is a shade of understanding, too, though Hé will not speak of it now (maybe never). He sees in her some shadow of the boy he used to be, a shadow of a shadow of that boy, a beautiful thing tarnished by misuse, a grand and vibrant thing made small. He wants so badly to inspire in her the warmth, the confidence, beating in his own heart. "I think so," he responds to her question, his tone mild. There are other things he might say — brighter things — but even thought, they ring insincere. So Hé opts for sincerity above all, hoping someday maybe she will see herself as he sees her, as others surely see her. There's potential there, the way potential lingers in the rosebush desecrated by flame, or by winter's hand. Potential is life. Potential is everything.

One ear cocks back in mild surprise at her second question. Hé hadn't expected to have it out in the open like that; had assumed her lack of social grace derived from some anxiety, rather than a learned behavior. And he wants to ask, oh, who — so he might remember them in the future. But he doesn't. He just smiles at her, and hopes she will forget them, whoever taught her that, in time. "Yes, of course! My friend, please, grace the world with the pleasure of your attention and I think we'll all be better off for it. You need bow to no one, here. You are as much a queen as any other in this meadow." Hé grins at her, half playful and yet entirely sincere. His attention shifts back to the area at large as he walks, expecting company though never demanding it, and he turns her next question over just a moment before answering, the noise of their footfalls quiet between them. It's a good sign, he thinks, that she asks so many questions. "Ashamin can explain the finer points of division of labor, but I'm sure you'll find no obligation to fulfill any duties you'd rather not."

A sound catches his attention then and his head snaps toward the orange figure working toward them like a lazy flame across the meadow. The face — the face draws his gaze immediately, white as a skull but more delicate. Hé nods, his eyes never falling, in response to her greeting. She was at the last gathering, surely, but he can't recall her name. He can't recall much aside from chaos, actually, and chooses to shake off the memory in favor of optimism. It's misplaced, perhaps, as the next words out of the half-stranger's mouth are unnecessarily cold. Really? Hé wants to say. This is how you treat newcomers? This is how you choose to represent yourself? Exasperation may be a long-term emotion for him here, in the wilds of this strange land, but he holds himself with poise, one ear tilting back toward Bellisma close at his side. He does not yet speak; catching Ashamin's approach, he waits for the leader to greet them, as well.

And hearing it, Hé sighs.

"We are of the Unbound," he tells Paradox — pleasantly but firmly. "I think I saw you at the last meeting, but I never caught your name. It's a pleasure — please call me Hé. And this is my new friend," he adds, with a gesture at Bellisma. Contemplating for a moment taking over the whole of her introduction, he leaves the naming of herself to her. It's important, Hé thinks, that he not speak over her — not crowd out the faint expression of self she's only just started to give him. Turning to Ashamin, Hé adds, "Good to see you again, Ashamin. I met her in the Threshold, like you met me. She'll make a good addition to the band, I think."

Bellisma Posts: 53
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 :: 8 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Adoptable
Bellisma
Her heart did a little flip in her chest at Hé's kind words, calling her a queen when she was certain she was anything but. Still, her lips quirked into the tiniest smile, and orbs shifted to find his face. She still walked at a slight angle, chest closer to him than rump, but Bellisma was beginning to sense he truly was not like the other stallions she had been exposed to. "You are very kind. Thank you, for that," she said airily, melody getting caught and carried away by the breeze shortly thereafter. At his reassurance of duties, the mare did something quite rare indeed: she walked straight, side falling parallel to Hé's. Her entire form softened fractionally, from her top line to the flick of her hooves just before they struck earth. Was it possible she had truly left her prison behind? She was beginning to think so.

Despite Hé's reassurance, Bellisma still ducked her head at the first equine's entrance. She winced at the words, but steeled herself with her new friend's encouragement and lifted green eyes, ever so gradually, until they rested on the white face of the other mare. Despite the ensuing panic, Bellisma forced herself to hold this Paradox's gaze, far more confidence in the gesture than she actually felt. Hé started the introduction for her - which she was grateful for - but stopped before giving her name, which meant she needed to buck up and give it herself. With a sigh that was far more obvious than she would have liked, the golden mare's lips parted. "Bellisma," she offered with a nod, as if the motion was needed. She was so new to this - this whole interacting thing - that she didn't know what exactly was expected. Paradox, with her beautiful mask, probably thought she was completely strange; but still Bellisma looked up (barely) at her.

Or she did until a far more fantastical creature approached, flanked by two beasts she had never before laid eyes on. What exactly was this place? "I-.. I have," she stammered to this new arrival, blinking partially in self-reprimand. Be brave, she urged herself, though she could already feel the tension weaving its way back through her muscles. "Oh, you-..." The words came out before she could stop them, and her gaze dropped to the desiccated grass once more. This was the leader Hé had informed her of. Was there a proper way to greet him? Hastily, she dipped her head before flicking emerald eyes back up to his face, stealing quick glaces at his companions. "It is a pleasure to meet you all. T-thank you.. for welcoming me into your home," she offered sincerely, though her gaze swung briefly to Paradox as she spoke. Bellisma did not think that mare was all too pleased with her company, but something about the way she carried herself gave the impression that perhaps she wasn't too fond of anyone's company.

Thankfully, Hé again paid her a compliment - that, to anyone else probably sounded like any other sentence but to Bellisma felt like the greatest gift she could be given - and that quirk of lips crossed her features once more. She appreciated him greatly, and felt herself warming toward him significantly, though doing so also caused a pang of anxiety to wrap around her chest. This could still all be a trap to gain her trust, but at some point she needed to accept that possibility and start to live anyway. Now was as good a time as any to begin.

"Hé tells me there are duties I may fulfill here?" she questioned Ashamin. Rules of survival: make yourself useful. Perhaps if she started with this, the herd would see her as a valuable asset rather than expendable.

Please tag Bellisma in every reply.

Paradox Posts: 23
Outcast atk: 7.5 | def: 10 | dam: 2.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.3 :: 5 HP: 60.0 | Buff: Novice
Smack

broke as hell, but blessed with beauty,

The air was dry- but somehow, it felt maybe a tiny bit cooler here in the meadow. Or maybe, it was just her imagination. The grass was crunchy beneath her feet and even some of the flowers were wilted from the heat. There were other, better places to be than here- in a group meeting- with a stallion she'd never met and a timid mare. She sighed softly, attempting to hide it, as the stallion began to speak. . What an interesting name. Yes, I thought you seemed familiar... Her tones trailed off at the sound of footsteps. Sweeping her head around slightly, she catches the scent of him before she sees him- along with noticing the unmistakable glow cast on the ground before him. Ashamin. Her heart beat flutters a little and instantly she feels scorned at herself. Her brow furrows. What is happening? She shakes herself, sending dusty particles flying into the air, as if metaphorically ridding herself of the idea. She allows her muzzle to brush his shoulder in subtle greeting.

She stands alert next to the painted stallion, her eyes floating around to catch site of the two stags that always followed him- sending a soft smile and a gentle nod in their direction. Ashamin speaks. Agreeing with her. And a bit of pride swells within her chest, causing her neck to arch proudly- if only a tiny bit. She listens as the spotted stallion who brought the mare in speaks, her eyes focused on him. ...I think she'll make a good addition to the band... Paradox breaks her gaze and eyes the young, timid mare. What kind of good addition? Paradox wonders rudely. She makes no outward appearance of her thoughts though. As if to solidify her ideas, the mare speaks....or tries to speak up. Stuttering. Bellisma. Well, her name fits her. Dainty and beautiful. Paradox can agree to that much. Come now, speak with confidence. The orange mare voices, almost motherly- sarcasm slowly draining from her tone. And instantly she wonders where in the world it came from. What was left of the hate from Magneto was slowly waning and allowing her to soften- if only a small bit.

The mare speaks again, thanking them for welcoming here. Paradox stifles a laugh, she's only just gotten here herself- but I suppose it was still her job to welcome as well. And now she speaks of duties- and momentarily the orange mare ponders in her head what this chestnut could be good for. She's clearly not a fighter and doesn't seem to have the balls to be a looter. She doesn't seem forward enough to be a seer. Ah. Yes, a healer. She might fit well into that section- helping others quietly. That seems to fit her, of course, it would in all be the mare's choice of where she chose to be. A soft chuckle parted her lips and words slipped before she could catch them. Well first, we must teach you to stand up for yourself a bit. Your confidence is quite lacking and that is not what we need here in the Unbound. She bit her lip immediately after. Her eyes flashing from Hé and Belle to Ashamin beside her. She momentarily regretted it, but spoke up quickly to cover herself. I mean that in the nicest possible way.....and I would be willing to help you with it. She spilled rather quickly. A sideways glance still caught on the paint beside her, hoping to not receive a reprimand.
the kind that a rich man can't turn down
speech

ooc: She's really trying!! xD
pattern belongs to subtle patterns

@Hé
@Bellisma
[Image: GmLmcWI.png]
Wishlist Magic and some PP allowed on Paradox, aside from death.